Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: fabp2
Description: fatty acid binding protein 2, intestinal
Alias: I-FABP, ifabp, zgc:92264, fatty acid-binding protein, intestinal, I-FABP (FABPI), intestinal fatty acid binding pr, intestinal fatty acid binding protein 2
- Rai K, Nadauld L, Chidester S, Manos E, James S, Karpf A, et al. Zebra fish Dnmt1 and Suv39h1 regulate organ-specific terminal differentiation during development. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:7077-85 pubmed..Our results suggest that Dnmt1 activity helps direct histone methylation by Suv39h1 and that, together, Dnmt1 and Suv39h1 help guide the terminal differentiation of particular tissues. ..
- Shelton D, Sandoval I, Eisinger A, Chidester S, Ratnayake A, Ireland C, et al. Up-regulation of CYP26A1 in adenomatous polyposis coli-deficient vertebrates via a WNT-dependent mechanism: implications for intestinal cell differentiation and colon tumor development. Cancer Res. 2006;66:7571-7 pubmed..These findings support a novel role for APC in balancing retinoic acid biosynthesis and catabolism through WNT-independent and WNT-dependent mechanisms. ..
- Mahmoudi T, Boj S, Hatzis P, Li V, Taouatas N, Vries R, et al. The leukemia-associated Mllt10/Af10-Dot1l are Tcf4/?-catenin coactivators essential for intestinal homeostasis. PLoS Biol. 2010;8:e1000539 pubmed publisher..The methyltransferase DOT1L may present an attractive candidate for drug targeting in colorectal cancer. ..
- Mudumana S, Wan H, Singh M, Korzh V, Gong Z. Expression analyses of zebrafish transferrin, ifabp, and elastaseB mRNAs as differentiation markers for the three major endodermal organs: liver, intestine, and exocrine pancreas. Dev Dyn. 2004;230:165-73 pubmedIn the present work, three zebrafish cDNA clones encoding transferrin, intestinal fatty acid binding protein (IFABP), and elastaseB were cloned and their expression patterns in early zebrafish development were characterized as ..
- Holtzinger A, Evans T. Gata4 regulates the formation of multiple organs. Development. 2005;132:4005-14 pubmed..In addition, both Gata4 and Gata6 are essential and non-redundant for liver growth following initial budding. ..
- Oehlers S, Flores M, Chen T, Hall C, Crosier K, Crosier P. Topographical distribution of antimicrobial genes in the zebrafish intestine. Dev Comp Immunol. 2011;35:385-91 pubmed publisher..Expression of the zebrafish ?-defensin family was examined in adult zebrafish tissues. Strong expression of defensin beta-like 1 was detected in the swim bladder of zebrafish from the larval stage of development through to adults. ..
- Mayer A, Fishman M. Nil per os encodes a conserved RNA recognition motif protein required for morphogenesis and cytodifferentiation of digestive organs in zebrafish. Development. 2003;130:3917-28 pubmed..Antisense-mediated knockdown of npo results in organ hypoplasia, and overexpression of npo causes an overgrowth of gastrointestinal organs. Thus, npo is a gene essential for a key step in the gut morphogenetic sequence. ..
- Nadauld L, Shelton D, Chidester S, Yost H, Jones D. The zebrafish retinol dehydrogenase, rdh1l, is essential for intestinal development and is regulated by the tumor suppressor adenomatous polyposis coli. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:30490-5 pubmed
- Thirumaran A, Wright J. Fatty acid-binding protein (fabp) genes of spotted green pufferfish (Tetraodon nigroviridis): comparative genomics and spatial transcriptional regulation. Genome. 2014;57:289-301 pubmed publisher..The differential tissue-specific distribution of pufferfish fabp transcripts suggests divergent spatial regulation of duplicated pairs of fabp genes. ..
- Hong S, Dawid I. Alpha2 macroglobulin-like is essential for liver development in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e3736 pubmed publisher..This report on A2ML function in zebrafish development provides the first evidence for a specific role of an A2M family gene in liver formation during early embryogenesis in a vertebrate. ..
- Rai K, Jafri I, Chidester S, James S, Karpf A, Cairns B, et al. Dnmt3 and G9a cooperate for tissue-specific development in zebrafish. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:4110-21 pubmed publisher..We propose a model wherein specific DNMT-histone methyltransferase networks are utilized to silence critical regulators of cell fate in a tissue-specific manner. ..
- Carlson P, Smalley D, Van Beneden R. Proteomic analysis of arsenic-exposed zebrafish (Danio rerio) identifies altered expression in proteins involved in fibrosis and lipid uptake in a gender-specific manner. Toxicol Sci. 2013;134:83-91 pubmed publisher..The changes presented here seem to be most prevalent in lipid transport and metabolic pathways, suggesting a potential increase in fibrosis in males and decreased lipid accumulation and uptake in females. ..
- Perera E, YÃºfera M. Soybean Meal and Soy Protein Concentrate in Early Diet Elicit Different Nutritional Programming Effects on Juvenile Zebrafish. Zebrafish. 2016;13:61-9 pubmed publisher..These findings sustain the rationale of using zebrafish for depicting molecular mechanisms involved in nutritional programming. ..
- Nissim S, Sherwood R, Wucherpfennig J, Saunders D, Harris J, Esain V, et al. Prostaglandin E2 regulates liver versus pancreas cell-fate decisions and endodermal outgrowth. Dev Cell. 2014;28:423-37 pubmed publisher..This work provides in vivo evidence that PGE2 may act as a morphogen to regulate cell-fate decisions and outgrowth of the embryonic endodermal anlagen. ..
- Pietsch J, Delalande J, Jakaitis B, Stensby J, Dohle S, Talbot W, et al. lessen encodes a zebrafish trap100 required for enteric nervous system development. Development. 2006;133:395-406 pubmed..These studies demonstrate that lsn/trap100 is not required for initial steps of cranial neural crest development and migration, but is essential for later proliferation of ENS precursors in the intestine. ..
- Wang W, Chen G, Hsu H, Wu C. Aryl hydrocarbon receptor 2 mediates the toxicity of Paclobutrazol on the digestive system of zebrafish embryos. Aquat Toxicol. 2015;159:13-22 pubmed publisher..These findings have implications for understanding the potential toxicity of PBZ during embryogenesis, and thus the potential impact of fungicides on public health and the environment. ..
- Flores M, Hall C, Davidson A, Singh P, Mahagaonkar A, Zon L, et al. Intestinal differentiation in zebrafish requires Cdx1b, a functional equivalent of mammalian Cdx2. Gastroenterology. 2008;135:1665-75 pubmed publisher..This work established an in vivo system to explore further the activity of Cdx2 in the gut and its impact on processes such as inflammation and cancer. ..
- Zheng X, Yang S, Han Y, Zhao X, Zhao L, Tian T, et al. Loss of zygotic NUP107 protein causes missing of pharyngeal skeleton and other tissue defects with impaired nuclear pore function in zebrafish embryos. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:38254-64 pubmed publisher..Our findings shed new light on developmental function of Nup107 in vertebrates. ..
- Sandoval I, Delacruz R, Miller B, Hill S, Olson K, Gabriel A, et al. A metabolic switch controls intestinal differentiation downstream of Adenomatous polyposis coli (APC). elife. 2017;6: pubmed publisher..Our data demonstrate a novel role for apc in pyruvate metabolism and that pyruvate metabolism dictates intestinal cell fate and differentiation decisions downstream of apc. ..
- Sharma M, Denovan Wright E, Degrave A, Thisse C, Thisse B, Wright J. Sequence, linkage mapping and early developmental expression of the intestinal-type fatty acid-binding protein gene (fabp2) from zebrafish (Danio rerio). Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol. 2004;138:391-8 pubmed..Expression in YSL, liver or pancreas has not been previously reported for fish or mammalian I-FABP genes and may be related to specific physiological differences between fishes and mammals. ..
- Alexa K, Choe S, Hirsch N, Etheridge L, Laver E, SAGERSTROM C. Maternal and zygotic aldh1a2 activity is required for pancreas development in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e8261 pubmed publisher..mutant, with varying degrees of residual expression observed for pdx1, carbA, hhex, prox1, sid4, transferrin and ifabp. In addition, mutant embryos display a swollen pericardium and lack fin buds...
- Tseng H, Hseu T, Buhler D, Wang W, Hu C. Constitutive and xenobiotics-induced expression of a novel CYP3A gene from zebrafish larva. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2005;205:247-58 pubmed..These findings suggested that the AHR2 signaling pathway plays an essential role in CYP3A65 transcription. ..
- Ando K, Fukuhara S, Izumi N, Nakajima H, Fukui H, Kelsh R, et al. Clarification of mural cell coverage of vascular endothelial cells by live imaging of zebrafish. Development. 2016;143:1328-39 pubmed publisher..Thus, live imaging and lineage tracing enabled us to clarify precisely how MCs cover the EC tubes and to identify the origins of MCs. ..
- Rikin A, Evans T. The tbx/bHLH transcription factor mga regulates gata4 and organogenesis. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:535-47 pubmed publisher..Transcript profiling experiments show that mga functions early to influence key regulators of mesendoderm, including tbx6, cas, and sox17. ..
- Esteves A, Knoll Gellida A, Canclini L, Silvarrey M, AndrÃ© M, Babin P. Fatty acid binding proteins have the potential to channel dietary fatty acids into enterocyte nuclei. J Lipid Res. 2016;57:219-32 pubmed publisher..A zebrafish model was used to demonstrate differential expression levels of fabp1b.1, fabp1b.2, and fabp2 transcripts in liver, anterior intestine, and brain. Transcription levels of fabp1b...
- Liu L, Alexa K, Cortes M, Schatzman Bone S, Kim A, Mukhopadhyay B, et al. Cannabinoid receptor signaling regulates liver development and metabolism. Development. 2016;143:609-22 pubmed publisher..Our work describes a novel developmental role for EC signaling, whereby Cnr-mediated regulation of Srebfs and methionine metabolism impacts liver development and function. ..
- Cui S, Capecci L, Matthews R. Disruption of planar cell polarity activity leads to developmental biliary defects. Dev Biol. 2011;351:229-41 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that PCP plays an important role in vertebrate biliary development, interacting with other factors known to be involved in biliary morphogenesis. ..
- Sharma M, Liu R, Thisse C, Thisse B, Denovan Wright E, Wright J. Hierarchical subfunctionalization of fabp1a, fabp1b and fabp10 tissue-specific expression may account for retention of these duplicated genes in the zebrafish (Danio rerio) genome. FEBS J. 2006;273:3216-29 pubmed
- Wang Y, Luo Y, Hong Y, Peng J, Lo L. Ribosome biogenesis factor Bms1-like is essential for liver development in zebrafish. J Genet Genomics. 2012;39:451-62 pubmed publisher..Therefore, our findings demonstrate that Bms1l is necessary for zebrafish liver development...
- Phelps R, Chidester S, Dehghanizadeh S, Phelps J, Sandoval I, Rai K, et al. A two-step model for colon adenoma initiation and progression caused by APC loss. Cell. 2009;137:623-34 pubmed publisher..Consistent with this model, human FAP adenomas showed robust upregulation of CtBP1 in the absence of detectable nuclear beta-catenin, whereas nuclear beta-catenin was detected in carcinomas. ..
- Cox A, Saunders D, Kelsey P, Conway A, Tesmenitsky Y, Marchini J, et al. S-nitrosothiol signaling regulates liver development and improves outcome following toxic liver injury. Cell Rep. 2014;6:56-69 pubmed publisher..These studies demonstrate that GSNOR inhibitors will be beneficial therapeutic candidates for treating liver injury...
- Yuan H, Wen B, Liu X, Gao C, Yang R, Wang L, et al. CCAAT/enhancer-binding protein Î± is required for hepatic outgrowth via the p53 pathway in zebrafish. Sci Rep. 2015;5:15838 pubmed publisher..Thus, our findings for the first time demonstrate a stage-specific role for C/ebpÎ± during liver organogenesis. ..
- Zhai G, Song J, Shu T, Yan J, Jin X, He J, et al. LRH-1 senses signaling from phosphatidylcholine to regulate the expansion growth of digestive organs via synergy with Wnt/Î²-catenin signaling in zebrafish. J Genet Genomics. 2017;44:307-317 pubmed publisher..These data provide evidence for the crosstalk between the PC/LRH-1 and Wnt/Î²-catenin signaling pathways during the expansion growth of endoderm organs. ..
- Levic D, Minkel J, Wang W, Rybski W, Melville D, Knapik E. Animal model of Sar1b deficiency presents lipid absorption deficits similar to Anderson disease. J Mol Med (Berl). 2015;93:165-76 pubmed publisher..Key messages: Sar1b depletion phenotype in zebrafish resembles Anderson disease deficits. Sar1b deficiency results in multi-organ developmental deficits. Sar1b is required for dietary cholesterol uptake into enterocytes. ..
- Hutchinson S, Tooke Locke E, Wang J, Tsai S, Katz T, Trede N. Tbl3 regulates cell cycle length during zebrafish development. Dev Biol. 2012;368:261-72 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that tbl3 plays a tissue-specific role regulating cell cycle rate during development. ..
- Kawasaki T, Maeno A, Shiroishi T, Sakai N. Development and growth of organs in living whole embryo and larval grafts in zebrafish. Sci Rep. 2017;7:16508 pubmed publisher..This unique transplantation system will lead to new insights into the age-related systemic environments that are crucial for organogenesis in vertebrates. ..
- Agulleiro M, André M, Morais S, Cerdà J, Babin P. High transcript level of fatty acid-binding protein 11 but not of very low-density lipoprotein receptor is correlated to ovarian follicle atresia in a teleost fish (Solea senegalensis). Biol Reprod. 2007;77:504-16 pubmed
- Chen Y, Wu B, Chu C, Cheng C, Han H, Chen G, et al. Identification and characterization of alternative promoters of zebrafish Rtn-4/Nogo genes in cultured cells and zebrafish embryos. Nucleic Acids Res. 2010;38:4635-50 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate that zebrafish Rtn4/Nogo transcripts might be generated by coupling mechanisms of alternative first exons and alternative promoter usage. ..
- Wang Z, Du J, Lam S, Mathavan S, Matsudaira P, Gong Z. Morphological and molecular evidence for functional organization along the rostrocaudal axis of the adult zebrafish intestine. BMC Genomics. 2010;11:392 pubmed publisher..Evolutionary lack of stomach, crypts, Paneth cells and submucosal glands has shaped the zebrafish intestine into a simpler but unique organ in vertebrate intestinal biology. ..
- Rottbauer W, Saurin A, Lickert H, Shen X, Burns C, Wo Z, et al. Reptin and pontin antagonistically regulate heart growth in zebrafish embryos. Cell. 2002;111:661-72 pubmed..Pontin reduction phenocopies the cardiac hyperplasia of the lik mutation. Thus, the Reptin/Pontin ratio serves to regulate heart growth during development, at least in part via the beta-catenin pathway. ..
- Wan H, Korzh S, Li Z, Mudumana S, Korzh V, Jiang Y, et al. Analyses of pancreas development by generation of gfp transgenic zebrafish using an exocrine pancreas-specific elastaseA gene promoter. Exp Cell Res. 2006;312:1526-39 pubmed..Thus, our works demonstrated the new transgenic line provided a useful experimental tool in analyzing exocrine pancreas development...
- Korzh S, Winata C, Zheng W, Yang S, Yin A, Ingham P, et al. The interaction of epithelial Ihha and mesenchymal Fgf10 in zebrafish esophageal and swimbladder development. Dev Biol. 2011;359:262-76 pubmed publisher..These findings contribute to the understanding of epithelial-mesenchymal interactions and highlight an interaction between Hh and Fgf signaling pathways during esophagus and swimbladder development. ..
- Thakur P, Davison J, Stuckenholz C, Lu L, Bahary N. Dysregulated phosphatidylinositol signaling promotes endoplasmic-reticulum-stress-mediated intestinal mucosal injury and inflammation in zebrafish. Dis Model Mech. 2014;7:93-106 pubmed publisher..The zebrafish cdipt mutants provide a powerful tool for dissecting the fundamental mechanisms of ER-stress-mediated human GI diseases and a platform to develop molecularly targeted therapies. ..
- Bielczyk MaczyÅ„ska E, Lam Hung L, Ferreira L, Fleischmann T, Weis F, FernÃ¡ndez Pevida A, et al. The Ribosome Biogenesis Protein Nol9 Is Essential for Definitive Hematopoiesis and Pancreas Morphogenesis in Zebrafish. PLoS Genet. 2015;11:e1005677 pubmed publisher..The use of this genetically tractable model will enhance our understanding of the tissue-specific mechanisms following impaired ribosome biogenesis in the context of an intact vertebrate. ..
- Davison J, Lickwar C, Song L, Breton G, Crawford G, Rawls J. Microbiota regulate intestinal epithelial gene expression by suppressing the transcription factor Hepatocyte nuclear factor 4 alpha. Genome Res. 2017;27:1195-1206 pubmed publisher..These results indicate a critical and conserved role for HNF4A in maintaining intestinal homeostasis in response to microbiota. ..
- Her G, Yeh Y, Wu J. Functional conserved elements mediate intestinal-type fatty acid binding protein (I-FABP) expression in the gut epithelia of zebrafish larvae. Dev Dyn. 2004;230:734-42 pubmed
- Venkatachalam A, Sawler D, Wright J. Tissue-specific transcriptional modulation of fatty acid-binding protein genes, fabp2, fabp3 and fabp6, by fatty acids and the peroxisome proliferator, clofibrate, in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Gene. 2013;520:14-21 pubmed publisherAll fabp genes, except fabp2, fabp3 and fabp6, exist as duplicates in the zebrafish genome owing to a whole genome duplication event ~230-400 million years ago...
- Yang S, Aw S, Chang C, Korzh S, Korzh V, Peng J. Depletion of Bhmt elevates sonic hedgehog transcript level and increases ?-cell number in zebrafish. Endocrinology. 2011;152:4706-17 pubmed publisher..Therefore, although there are still many intriguing questions to be answered, our finding may identify a novel function for Bhmt involving modulation of Shh signaling to control ?-cell development. ..
- Marshall K, Tomasini A, Makky K, N Kumar S, Mayer A. Dynamic Lkb1-TORC1 signaling as a possible mechanism for regulating the endoderm-intestine transition. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:3000-12 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that programmed localization of Lkb1 could represent a novel mechanism for regulating the EIT during intestinal development in vertebrates. ..
- Alvers A, Ryan S, Scherz P, Huisken J, Bagnat M. Single continuous lumen formation in the zebrafish gut is mediated by smoothened-dependent tissue remodeling. Development. 2014;141:1110-9 pubmed publisher..Thus, lumen resolution is a distinct genetically controlled process crucial for single, continuous lumen formation in the zebrafish gut. ..
- Zheng X, Xu C, Di Lorenzo A, Kleaveland B, Zou Z, Seiler C, et al. CCM3 signaling through sterile 20-like kinases plays an essential role during zebrafish cardiovascular development and cerebral cavernous malformations. J Clin Invest. 2010;120:2795-804 pubmed publisher..These studies identify STKs as essential downstream effectors of CCM signaling in development and disease that may regulate both endothelial and epithelial cell junctions. ..
- Goessling W, North T, Lord A, Ceol C, Lee S, Weidinger G, et al. APC mutant zebrafish uncover a changing temporal requirement for wnt signaling in liver development. Dev Biol. 2008;320:161-74 pubmed publisher..These studies reveal an important and time-dependent role for wnt signaling during liver development and regeneration. ..
- Denovan Wright E, Pierce M, Wright J. Nucleotide sequence of cDNA clones coding for a brain-type fatty acid binding protein and its tissue-specific expression in adult zebrafish (Danio rerio). Biochim Biophys Acta. 2000;1492:221-6 pubmed..In situ hybridization revealed that the B-FABP mRNA was expressed in the periventricular gray zone of the optic tectum of the adult zebrafish brain. ..
- Makky K, Tekiela J, Mayer A. Target of rapamycin (TOR) signaling controls epithelial morphogenesis in the vertebrate intestine. Dev Biol. 2007;303:501-13 pubmed..Thus, in addition to regulating cell growth and proliferation, TOR signaling controls the developmental program guiding epithelial morphogenesis in the vertebrate intestine. ..
- Nadauld L, Phelps R, Moore B, Eisinger A, Sandoval I, Chidester S, et al. Adenomatous polyposis coli control of C-terminal binding protein-1 stability regulates expression of intestinal retinol dehydrogenases. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:37828-35 pubmed..The relationship between APC and CtBP1 is conserved between humans and zebrafish and provides a mechanistic model explaining APC control of intestinal retinoic acid biosynthesis. ..
- Hu M, Bai Y, Zhang C, Liu F, Cui Z, Chen J, et al. Liver-Enriched Gene 1, a Glycosylated Secretory Protein, Binds to FGFR and Mediates an Anti-stress Pathway to Protect Liver Development in Zebrafish. PLoS Genet. 2016;12:e1005881 pubmed publisher..Therefore, Leg1 plays a unique role in protecting liver development under different stress conditions by serving as a secreted signaling molecule/modulator. ..
- Cox A, Tsomides A, Kim A, Saunders D, Hwang K, Evason K, et al. Selenoprotein H is an essential regulator of redox homeostasis that cooperates with p53 in development and tumorigenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016;113:E5562-71 pubmed publisher..Overall, our findings establish that seph regulates redox homeostasis and suppresses DNA damage. We hypothesize that SepH deficiency may contribute to the increased cancer risk observed in cohorts with low selenium levels. ..
- Flasse L, Stern D, Pirson J, Manfroid I, Peers B, Voz M. The bHLH transcription factor Ascl1a is essential for the specification of the intestinal secretory cells and mediates Notch signaling in the zebrafish intestine. Dev Biol. 2013;376:187-97 pubmed publisher..This highlights the diversity in the ARP/ASCL family members acting as cell fate determinants downstream from Notch signaling. ..
- Cruz Garcia L, Schlegel A. Lxr-driven enterocyte lipid droplet formation delays transport of ingested lipids. J Lipid Res. 2014;55:1944-58 pubmed publisher..Activation of Lxr in the intestine cell-autonomously regulates the rate of delivery of absorbed lipids by inducting a temporary lipid intestinal droplet storage depot. ..
- Qin W, Chen Z, Zhang Y, Yan R, Yan G, Li S, et al. Nom1 mediates pancreas development by regulating ribosome biogenesis in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e100796 pubmed publisher..This suggests that targeting Pp1? into the nucleolus by Nom1 is important for pancreatic proliferation. Altogether, our studies revealed a new mechanism involving Nom1 in controlling vertebrate exocrine pancreas formation. ..
- Liu N, Li Z, Pei D, Shu X. Zfyve9a regulates the proliferation of hepatic cells during zebrafish embryogenesis. Int J Dev Biol. 2013;57:773-8 pubmed publisher..We analyzed the expression patterns of liver (cp and fabp10a), pancreas (trypsin and insulin) or gut (fabp2) specific markers to determine whether the formation of these organs is affected by zfyve9a knockdown...
- Hu B, Chen H, Liu X, Zhang C, Cole G, Lee J, et al. Transgenic overexpression of cdx1b induces metaplastic changes of gene expression in zebrafish esophageal squamous epithelium. Zebrafish. 2013;10:218-27 pubmed publisher..However, cdx1b failed to induce histological IM, or to modulate cell proliferation and apoptosis in the squamous epithelium of adult transgenic zebrafish. ..