Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: eve1
Alias: cb872, evx3, even-skipped-like1
- Liu X, Xiong C, Jia S, Zhang Y, Chen Y, Wang Q, et al. Araf kinase antagonizes Nodal-Smad2 activity in mesendoderm development by directly phosphorylating the Smad2 linker region. Nat Commun. 2013;4:1728 pubmed publisher..Our findings open avenues for investigating the potential significance of Raf regulation of transforming growth factor ? signalling in versatile biological and pathological processes in the future. ..
- Fisher S, Amacher S, Halpern M. Loss of cerebum function ventralizes the zebrafish embryo. Development. 1997;124:1301-11 pubmed..Analysis of the cerebum phenotype provides genetic evidence for the existence of ventralizing signals in the zebrafish gastrula and for antagonists of those signals. ..
- Tse W, You M, Ho S, Jiang Y. The deubiquitylating enzyme Cops6 regulates different developmental processes during early zebrafish embryogenesis. Int J Dev Biol. 2011;55:19-24 pubmed publisher..Overall, the present study that consolidates our previous work on zebrafish DUB genes, corroborates the hypothesis of multi-functional roles for DUB genes during development. ..
- Baker K, Ramel M, Lekven A. A direct role for Wnt8 in ventrolateral mesoderm patterning. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:2828-36 pubmed publisher..Thus, Wnt8 and BMP signaling have independent roles during vertebrate ventrolateral mesoderm development that can be identified through loss-of-function analysis. ..
- Coyle R, Latimer A, Jessen J. Membrane-type 1 matrix metalloproteinase regulates cell migration during zebrafish gastrulation: evidence for an interaction with non-canonical Wnt signaling. Exp Cell Res. 2008;314:2150-62 pubmed publisher..Together, our results support the notion that pathways regulating pericellular proteolysis and cell polarity converge to promote efficient cell migration. ..
- Zhu S, Liu L, Korzh V, Gong Z, Low B. RhoA acts downstream of Wnt5 and Wnt11 to regulate convergence and extension movements by involving effectors Rho kinase and Diaphanous: use of zebrafish as an in vivo model for GTPase signaling. Cell Signal. 2006;18:359-72 pubmed..These findings also support the versatility of the zebrafish as a model to further investigate the roles of various classes of small GTPases in regulating cell dynamics in vivo. ..
- Miller Bertoglio V, Carmany Rampey A, Fürthauer M, Gonzalez E, Thisse C, Thisse B, et al. Maternal and zygotic activity of the zebrafish ogon locus antagonizes BMP signaling. Dev Biol. 1999;214:72-86 pubmed..The results suggest that ogo encodes an as yet unidentified dorsalizing factor that mediates dorsoventral patterning by directly or indirectly antagonizing BMP activity. ..
- Kelly G, Greenstein P, Erezyilmaz D, Moon R. Zebrafish wnt8 and wnt8b share a common activity but are involved in distinct developmental pathways. Development. 1995;121:1787-99 pubmed
- Mizuno T, Yamaha E, Kuroiwa A, Takeda H. Removal of vegetal yolk causes dorsal deficencies and impairs dorsal-inducing ability of the yolk cell in zebrafish. Mech Dev. 1999;81:51-63 pubmed..These results suggested that the vegetal yolk cell mass contains the dorsal determinants, and that the dorsal-inducing ability of the yolk cell is dependent on the determinants. ..
- von der Hardt S, Bakkers J, Inbal A, Carvalho L, Solnica Krezel L, Heisenberg C, et al. The Bmp gradient of the zebrafish gastrula guides migrating lateral cells by regulating cell-cell adhesion. Curr Biol. 2007;17:475-87 pubmed
- Rebagliati M, Toyama R, Fricke C, Haffter P, Dawid I. Zebrafish nodal-related genes are implicated in axial patterning and establishing left-right asymmetry. Dev Biol. 1998;199:261-72 pubmed..We suggest that Ndr1 has a role in mesoderm induction, while Ndr2 is involved in subsequent specification and patterning of the nervous system and establishment of laterality. ..
- Rentzsch F, Zhang J, Kramer C, Sebald W, Hammerschmidt M. Crossveinless 2 is an essential positive feedback regulator of Bmp signaling during zebrafish gastrulation. Development. 2006;133:801-11 pubmed..Differential proteolytic processing as a mode of regulation might account for anti-Bmp effects in other contexts. ..
- Zhong Y, Lu L, Zhou J, Li Y, Liu Y, Clemmons D, et al. IGF binding protein 3 exerts its ligand-independent action by antagonizing BMP in zebrafish embryos. J Cell Sci. 2011;124:1925-35 pubmed publisher..Knockdown of Igfbp3 enhanced the ventralized phenotype caused by chordin knockdown. These results suggest that Igfbp3 exerts its IGF-independent actions by antagonizing Bmp signaling and that this mechanism is conserved. ..
- Feng Q, Zou X, Lu L, Li Y, Liu Y, Zhou J, et al. The stress-response gene redd1 regulates dorsoventral patterning by antagonizing Wnt/?-catenin activity in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e52674 pubmed publisher..These findings have unraveled a novel role of Redd1 in early development by antagonizing Wnt/?-catenin signaling. ..
- Pyati U, Webb A, Kimelman D. Transgenic zebrafish reveal stage-specific roles for Bmp signaling in ventral and posterior mesoderm development. Development. 2005;132:2333-43 pubmed..We conclude that the role of Bmp signaling in the ventral and posterior mesoderm changes as gastrulation proceeds. ..
- Ramel M, Lekven A. Repression of the vertebrate organizer by Wnt8 is mediated by Vent and Vox. Development. 2004;131:3991-4000 pubmed..Thus, whereas both Wnt8 and zygotic BMP are ventralizing agents that regulate common target genes, their temporally different modes of action are necessary to pattern the embryo harmoniously along its DV axis. ..
- Blader P, Rastegar S, Fischer N, Strahle U. Cleavage of the BMP-4 antagonist chordin by zebrafish tolloid. Science. 1997;278:1937-40 pubmed..These data suggest that Tolloid antagonizes Chordin activity by proteolytically cleaving Chordin. A conserved function for zebrafish and Drosophila Tolloid during embryogenesis is proposed. ..
- Nikaido M, Tada M, Saji T, Ueno N. Conservation of BMP signaling in zebrafish mesoderm patterning. Mech Dev. 1997;61:75-88 pubmed..In contrast, expression of ventral marker gene eve1 was expanded to the dorsal side...
- Solnica Krezel L, Stemple D, Mountcastle Shah E, Rangini Z, Neuhauss S, Malicki J, et al. Mutations affecting cell fates and cellular rearrangements during gastrulation in zebrafish. Development. 1996;123:67-80 pubmed..These mutations provide an approach to understanding the genetic control of gastrulation in vertebrates. ..
- Hammerschmidt M, Serbedzija G, McMahon A. Genetic analysis of dorsoventral pattern formation in the zebrafish: requirement of a BMP-like ventralizing activity and its dorsal repressor. Genes Dev. 1996;10:2452-61 pubmed..Together, these results provide genetic evidence in support of a mechanism of early dorsoventral patterning that is conserved among vertebrate and invertebrate embryos. ..
- Avaron F, Thaëron Antono C, Beck C, Borday Birraux V, Géraudie J, Casane D, et al. Comparison of even-skipped related gene expression pattern in vertebrates shows an association between expression domain loss and modification of selective constraints on sequences. Evol Dev. 2003;5:145-56 pubmed..rounds of whole genome duplication followed by individual gene losses gave rise to three paralogs: evx1, evx2, and eve1. Then, eve1 was maintained in Actinopterygii lineage but not in Tetrapoda...
- Little S, Mullins M. Twisted gastrulation promotes BMP signaling in zebrafish dorsal-ventral axial patterning. Development. 2004;131:5825-35 pubmed..Our results support a model in which zebrafish Tsg1 promotes BMP signaling, and thus ventral cell fates, during DV axial patterning. ..
- Thorpe C, Weidinger G, Moon R. Wnt/beta-catenin regulation of the Sp1-related transcription factor sp5l promotes tail development in zebrafish. Development. 2005;132:1763-72 pubmed..These data place sp5l downstream of wnt3a and wnt8 in a Wnt/beta-catenin signaling pathway that controls tail development in zebrafish. ..
- Xie J, Fisher S. Twisted gastrulation enhances BMP signaling through chordin dependent and independent mechanisms. Development. 2005;132:383-91 pubmed
- Wu S, Shin J, Sepich D, Solnica Krezel L. Chemokine GPCR signaling inhibits ?-catenin during zebrafish axis formation. PLoS Biol. 2012;10:e1001403 pubmed publisher..Our study delineates a novel negative, Gsk3?-independent control mechanism of ?-catenin and implicates Ccr7 as a long-hypothesized GPCR regulating vertebrate axis formation. ..
- Ramel M, Buckles G, Baker K, Lekven A. WNT8 and BMP2B co-regulate non-axial mesoderm patterning during zebrafish gastrulation. Dev Biol. 2005;287:237-48 pubmed
- Yu P, Hong C, Sachidanandan C, Babitt J, Deng D, Hoyng S, et al. Dorsomorphin inhibits BMP signals required for embryogenesis and iron metabolism. Nat Chem Biol. 2008;4:33-41 pubmed..These findings suggest an essential physiological role for hepatic BMP signaling in iron-hepcidin homeostasis. ..
- Hammerschmidt M, Pelegri F, Mullins M, Kane D, van Eeden F, Granato M, et al. dino and mercedes, two genes regulating dorsal development in the zebrafish embryo. Development. 1996;123:95-102 pubmed..Their function in the patterning of the ventrolateral mesoderm and the induction of the neuroectoderm is similar to the function of the Spemann organizer in the amphibian embryo. ..
- Cao Y, Zhao J, Sun Z, Zhao Z, Postlethwait J, Meng A. fgf17b, a novel member of Fgf family, helps patterning zebrafish embryos. Dev Biol. 2004;271:130-43 pubmed..Like fgf8, activation of fgf17b expression depends on Nodal signaling. ..
- Braat A, Zandbergen T, van de Water S, Goos H, Zivkovic D. Characterization of zebrafish primordial germ cells: morphology and early distribution of vasa RNA. Dev Dyn. 1999;216:153-67 pubmed..dev dyn 1999;216:153-167. ..
- Mullins M, Hammerschmidt M, Kane D, Odenthal J, Brand M, van Eeden F, et al. Genes establishing dorsoventral pattern formation in the zebrafish embryo: the ventral specifying genes. Development. 1996;123:81-93 pubmed..This pathway provides ventral positional information, counteracting the dorsalizing instructions of the organizer, which is localized in the dorsal shield. ..
- Kim H, Lee M, Jeong Y, Ro H, Kim D, Shin Y, et al. Ottogi Inhibits Wnt/?-catenin Signaling by Regulating Cell Membrane Trafficking of Frizzled8. Sci Rep. 2017;7:13278 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data indicate that OTG functions as a novel negative regulator of Wnt signaling during development by the modulation of cell surface expression of Fz receptor. ..
- Narayanan A, Lekven A. Biphasic wnt8a expression is achieved through interactions of multiple regulatory inputs. Dev Dyn. 2012;241:1062-75 pubmed publisher..Analysis of stickleback wnt8a suggests this mechanism of regulation may be conserved. The seemingly simple wnt8a expression pattern reflects complex interactions of multiple regulatory inputs. ..
- Lou Q, He J, Hu L, Yin Z. Role of lbx2 in the noncanonical Wnt signaling pathway for convergence and extension movements and hypaxial myogenesis in zebrafish. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2012;1823:1024-32 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that the key noncanonical Wnt signaling components Wnt5, Dvl, and RhoA are downstream effectors involved in the regulative roles of lbx2 in CE movement and hypaxial myogenesis during zebrafish embryogenesis. ..
- Zhou F, Xie F, Jin K, Zhang Z, Clerici M, Gao R, et al. USP4 inhibits SMAD4 monoubiquitination and promotes activin and BMP signaling. EMBO J. 2017;36:1623-1639 pubmed publisher..Moreover, zebrafish depleted of USP4 exhibited defective cell migration and slower coordinated cell movement known as epiboly, both of which could be rescued by SMAD4. Therefore, USP4 is a critical determinant of SMAD4 activity. ..
- Gouttenoire J, Valcourt U, Bougault C, Aubert Foucher E, Arnaud E, Giraud L, et al. Knockdown of the intraflagellar transport protein IFT46 stimulates selective gene expression in mouse chondrocytes and affects early development in zebrafish. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:30960-73 pubmed..Thus our results taken together indicate that the ciliary protein IFT46 has a specific function in chondrocytes and is also essential for normal development of vertebrates. ..
- Brulfert A, Monnot M, Geraudie J. Expression of two even-skipped genes eve1 and evx2 during zebrafish fin morphogenesis and their regulation by retinoic acid. Int J Dev Biol. 1998;42:1117-24 pubmed..present work we have studied, by in situ hybridization, the expression and regulation of two vertebrate homologs eve1 and evx2 of the Drosophila pair-rule even-skipped gene family...
- Liu D, Wang W, Melville D, Cha Y, Yin Z, Issaeva N, et al. Tumor suppressor Lzap regulates cell cycle progression, doming, and zebrafish epiboly. Dev Dyn. 2011;240:1613-25 pubmed publisher..These functions provide further insight into Lzap activity that may contribute not only to development, but also to tumor formation. ..
- Hu S, Wu Z, Yan Y, Li Y. Sox31 is involved in central nervous system anteroposterior regionalization through regulating the organizer activity in zebrafish. Acta Biochim Biophys Sin (Shanghai). 2011;43:387-99 pubmed publisher..Taken together, Sox31 functions as an essential CNS AP patterning determinant and coordinates the CNS AP patterning process with organizer specification. ..
- Wu S, Zhang H, Cairns B. Genes for embryo development are packaged in blocks of multivalent chromatin in zebrafish sperm. Genome Res. 2011;21:578-89 pubmed publisher..Taken together, gene sets with particular functions in the embryo are packaged by distinctive types of complex and often atypical chromatin in sperm. ..
- Muthukumarasamy K, Handore K, Kakade D, Shinde M, Ranjan S, Kumar N, et al. Identification of noreremophilane-based inhibitors of angiogenesis using zebrafish assays. Org Biomol Chem. 2016;14:1569-78 pubmed publisher..We synthesized several derivatives of this class of noreremophilanes and performed structure-activity relationship studies in zebrafish to identify more potent and less toxic analogs of the original structure. ..
- Ho D, Chan J, Bayliss P, Whitman M. Inhibitor-resistant type I receptors reveal specific requirements for TGF-beta signaling in vivo. Dev Biol. 2006;295:730-42 pubmed..The combination of the ALK inhibitor SB-431542 with inhibitor-resistant ALKs provides a powerful set of tools for examining nodal/activin signaling during embryogenesis. ..
- Gebruers E, Cordero Maldonado M, Gray A, Clements C, Harvey A, Edrada Ebel R, et al. A phenotypic screen in zebrafish identifies a novel small-molecule inducer of ectopic tail formation suggestive of alterations in non-canonical Wnt/PCP signaling. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e83293 pubmed publisher..Further investigation of pCAME's mechanism of action will help determine this compound's pharmacological utility...
- Ho J, Hsiao C, Kawakami K, Tse W. Triclosan (TCS) exposure impairs lipid metabolism in zebrafish embryos. Aquat Toxicol. 2016;173:29-35 pubmed publisher..This study showed that 250Î¼g/L TCS exposure does not affect normal embryogenesis or organogenesis; however, there are concerns regarding possible impairment of lipid metabolism. ..
- Leskow F, Holloway B, Wang H, Mullins M, Kazanietz M. The zebrafish homologue of mammalian chimerin Rac-GAPs is implicated in epiboly progression during development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:5373-8 pubmed..Our results reveal a crucial role for chn1 in early development and implicate Rac as a key regulator of morphogenetic movements during zebrafish epiboly. ..
- Cui Y, He S, Xing C, Lu K, Wang J, Xing G, et al. SCFFBXL¹? regulates BMP signalling by directing the degradation of HECT-type ubiquitin ligase Smurf1. EMBO J. 2011;30:2675-89 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our results demonstrate that Smurf1 stability is suppressed by SCF(FBXL15)-mediated ubiquitination and that FBXL15 is a key regulator of BMP signalling during embryonic development and adult bone formation. ..
- Lu Y, Xie S, Zhang W, Zhang C, Gao C, Sun Q, et al. Twa1/Gid8 is a ?-catenin nuclear retention factor in Wnt signaling and colorectal tumorigenesis. Cell Res. 2017;27:1422-1440 pubmed publisher..Thus, our results identify Twa1 as a previously undescribed regulator of the Wnt pathway for promoting colorectal tumorigenesis by facilitating ?-catenin nuclear retention. ..
- Shao M, Lin Y, Liu Z, Zhang Y, Wang L, Liu C, et al. GSK-3 activity is critical for the orientation of the cortical microtubules and the dorsoventral axis determination in zebrafish embryos. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e36655 pubmed publisher..These results thus revealed an early and critical role of GSK-3 activity that regulates the orientation of the cortical microtubules and the directed transport of the dorsal determinants in zebrafish embryos. ..
- Li Z, Wang Y, Zhang M, Xu P, Huang H, Wu D, et al. The Amotl2 gene inhibits Wnt/?-catenin signaling and regulates embryonic development in zebrafish. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:13005-15 pubmed publisher..Thus, our findings provide novel insights into functions of Motin family members and regulation of Wnt/?-catenin signaling. ..
- Hug B, Walter V, Grunwald D. tbx6, a Brachyury-related gene expressed by ventral mesendodermal precursors in the zebrafish embryo. Dev Biol. 1997;183:61-73 pubmed..However, no tail appears to contribute to the maintenance of normal levels of tbx6 transcription and may be required for tbx6 transcription in the developing tail. ..
- Hu S, Yu H, Zhang Y, Wu Z, Yan Y, Li Y, et al. Splice blocking of zygotic sox31 leads to developmental arrest shortly after Mid-Blastula Transition and induces apoptosis in zebrafish. FEBS Lett. 2012;586:222-8 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, an apoptotic response occurs in Sb morphants at about 6hpf. SoxB1 family genes including sox31 thus play an essential role for early embryos traversing the transitional stage...
- Stuckenholz C, Lu L, Thakur P, Choi T, Shin D, Bahary N. Sfrp5 modulates both Wnt and BMP signaling and regulates gastrointestinal organogenesis [corrected] in the zebrafish, Danio rerio. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e62470 pubmed publisher..We show that Sfrp5 inhibits both canonical and non-canonical Wnt signaling during embryonic and endodermal development, resulting in endodermal abnormalities...
- Chen S, Shih H, Lin S, Hsiao C, Li Z, Cheng Y. Etv5a regulates the proliferation of ventral mesoderm cells and the formation of hemato-vascular derivatives. J Cell Sci. 2013;126:5626-34 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our data reveal that etv5a is essential for the inhibition of ventral mesoderm cell proliferation and for the formation of the hemato-vascular lineage. ..
- Zhang J, Patterson L, Qiu L, Graziussi D, Sebald W, Hammerschmidt M. Binding between Crossveinless-2 and Chordin von Willebrand factor type C domains promotes BMP signaling by blocking Chordin activity. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e12846 pubmed publisher..We propose that in ternary Chordin-CV2-BMP complexes, both BMP and Chordin are directly associated with CV2, whereas Chordin is pushed away from BMP, ensuring that BMPs can be more easily delivered to their receptors. ..
- Esterberg R, Delalande J, Fritz A. Tailbud-derived Bmp4 drives proliferation and inhibits maturation of zebrafish chordamesoderm. Development. 2008;135:3891-901 pubmed publisher..Our results illustrate a role for Bmp4 in the proliferation and timely differentiation of axial tissue after DV axis specification. ..
- Nasevicius A, Hyatt T, Kim H, Guttman J, Walsh E, Sumanas S, et al. Evidence for a frizzled-mediated wnt pathway required for zebrafish dorsal mesoderm formation. Development. 1998;125:4283-92 pubmed..This frizzled -mediated wnt pathway for dorsal mesoderm specification provides the first evidence for the requirement of a wnt-like signal in vertebrate axis determination. ..
- Chen X, Shi W, Wang F, Du Z, Yang Y, Gao M, et al. Zinc finger DHHC-type containing 13 regulates fate specification of ectoderm and mesoderm cell lineages by modulating Smad6 activity. Stem Cells Dev. 2014;23:1899-909 pubmed publisher..Our results extended the cellular role of Zdhhc13, suggesting that it acts as a regulator in BMP signaling, and established that the embryonic function of Zdhhc13 is in lineage specification. ..
- Yao S, Qian M, Deng S, Xie L, Yang H, Xiao C, et al. Kzp controls canonical Wnt8 signaling to modulate dorsoventral patterning during zebrafish gastrulation. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:42086-96 pubmed publisher..Thus, our results provide the first insight into the mechanism involved in the initiation of zygotic canonical Wnt signals by a maternally derived transcription factor. ..
- JuÃ¡rez Morales J, Schulte C, Pezoa S, Vallejo G, Hilinski W, England S, et al. Evx1 and Evx2 specify excitatory neurotransmitter fates and suppress inhibitory fates through a Pax2-independent mechanism. Neural Dev. 2016;11:5 pubmed publisher..These results significantly increase our understanding of the mechanisms of neuronal specification and the genetic networks involved in these processes. ..
- Smith K, Joziasse I, Chocron S, Van Dinther M, Guryev V, Verhoeven M, et al. Dominant-negative ALK2 allele associates with congenital heart defects. Circulation. 2009;119:3062-9 pubmed publisher..In vivo analysis of zebrafish embryos injected with ALK2 L343P RNA revealed improper atrioventricular canal formation. These data identify the dominant-negative allele ALK2 L343P in a patient with AVS defects. ..
- Cheng X, Shao M, Li J, Wang Y, Qi J, Xu Z, et al. Leucine repeat adaptor protein 1 interacts with Dishevelled to regulate gastrulation cell movements in zebrafish. Nat Commun. 2017;8:1353 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate that Lurap1 functions to regulate cellular polarisation and motile behaviours during gastrulation movements. ..
- Powers J, Zhao Y, Lin S, McCabe E. The expression of nr0b1, the earliest gene in zebrafish tooth development, is a marker for human tooth and ameloblastoma formation. Dev Genes Evol. 2009;219:419-25 pubmed publisher..Evol Dev 8:130, 2006). Recently, eve1 has been shown to be associated with the primary tooth (4V(1)) and early ameloblast development, the enamel organ ..
- Shao M, Wang M, Liu Y, Ge Y, Zhang Y, Shi D. Vegetally localised Vrtn functions as a novel repressor to modulate bmp2b transcription during dorsoventral patterning in zebrafish. Development. 2017;144:3361-3374 pubmed publisher..Our work unveils a novel maternal mechanism regulating zygotic BMP gradient in dorsoventral patterning. ..