Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: etv5b
Description: ets variant 5b
Alias: cb805, erm, erm1, wu:fe05h04, wu:fj66a04, ets variant 5b, ets related protein erm
- Hamade A, Deries M, Begemann G, Bally Cuif L, Genet C, Sabatier F, et al. Retinoic acid activates myogenesis in vivo through Fgf8 signalling. Dev Biol. 2006;289:127-40 pubmed..We propose that, in the developing embryo, localised synthesis of RA by Raldh2 in the anterior psm and in somites activates fgf8 expression which in turn induces the expression of myogenic genes and fast muscle differentiation. ..
- Roehl H, Nusslein Volhard C. Zebrafish pea3 and erm are general targets of FGF8 signaling. Curr Biol. 2001;11:503-7 pubmed..Here, we propose that two zebrafish ETS genes, pea3 and erm, are general targets of FGF8 signaling, based upon the following observations: both genes are expressed around all ..
- Harvey S, Logan M. sall4 acts downstream of tbx5 and is required for pectoral fin outgrowth. Development. 2006;133:1165-73 pubmed..Our studies of Sall gene family redundancy and tbx5 offer explanations for the similarity of individuals with OS and HOS limb defects. ..
- Scholpp S, Groth C, Lohs C, Lardelli M, Brand M. Zebrafish fgfr1 is a member of the fgf8 synexpression group and is required for fgf8 signalling at the midbrain-hindbrain boundary. Dev Genes Evol. 2004;214:285-95 pubmed..The expression patterns of fgfr1 and fgf8 are strikingly similar and knock-down of fgfr1 phenocopies many aspects observed in the fgf8 mutant acerebellar, suggesting that Fgf8 exerts its function mainly by binding to FgfR1. ..
- Phillips B, Storch E, Lekven A, Riley B. A direct role for Fgf but not Wnt in otic placode induction. Development. 2004;131:923-31 pubmed..We propose that Wnt8 serves to regulate timely expression of Fgf3 and Fgf8 in the hindbrain, and that Fgf from the hindbrain then acts directly on preplacodal cells to induce otic differentiation. ..
- Norton W, Ledin J, Grandel H, Neumann C. HSPG synthesis by zebrafish Ext2 and Extl3 is required for Fgf10 signalling during limb development. Development. 2005;132:4963-73 pubmed..This reveals an unexpected specificity of HSPGs in regulating distinct vertebrate Fgfs. ..
- Esain V, Postlethwait J, Charnay P, Ghislain J. FGF-receptor signalling controls neural cell diversity in the zebrafish hindbrain by regulating olig2 and sox9. Development. 2010;137:33-42 pubmed publisher..Overall, for the first time in vivo, our results reveal a mechanism of FGF in the control of neural cell diversity. ..
- Neugebauer J, Amack J, Peterson A, Bisgrove B, Yost H. FGF signalling during embryo development regulates cilia length in diverse epithelia. Nature. 2009;458:651-4 pubmed publisher..We propose that a subset of developmental defects and diseases ascribed to FGF signalling are due in part to loss of cilia function. ..
- Hans S, Christison J, Liu D, Westerfield M. Fgf-dependent otic induction requires competence provided by Foxi1 and Dlx3b. BMC Dev Biol. 2007;7:5 pubmed..These results provide further support for the hypothesis that Foxi1 and Dlx3b provide competence for cells to respond to Fgf and form an otic placode. ..
- Münchberg S, Ober E, Steinbeisser H. Expression of the Ets transcription factors erm and pea3 in early zebrafish development. Mech Dev. 1999;88:233-6 pubmedHere we report the cloning of zebrafish erm and pea3 cDNAs, which are members of the PEA3 subgroup of Ets transcription factors. The expression patterns of these two genes were examined during zebrafish embryogenesis...
- Vemaraju S, Kantarci H, Padanad M, Riley B. A spatial and temporal gradient of Fgf differentially regulates distinct stages of neural development in the zebrafish inner ear. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1003068 pubmed publisher..Thus Fgf signaling renders SAG development self-regulating, ensuring steady production of an appropriate number of neurons as the larva grows...
- SpirÃ³ Z, Koh A, Tay S, See K, Winkler C. Transcriptional enhancement of Smn levels in motoneurons is crucial for proper axon morphology in zebrafish. Sci Rep. 2016;6:27470 pubmed publisher..In addition, we identified the ETS family transcription factor Etv5b to be responsible for increased smn transcription in motoneurons...
- Zhang J, Wagh P, Guay D, Sanchez Pulido L, Padhi B, Korzh V, et al. Loss of fish actinotrichia proteins and the fin-to-limb transition. Nature. 2010;466:234-7 pubmed publisher..We propose that the loss of both actinodins and actinotrichia during evolution may have led to the loss of lepidotrichia and may have contributed to the fin-to-limb transition...
- Kantarci H, Edlund R, Groves A, Riley B. Tfap2a promotes specification and maturation of neurons in the inner ear through modulation of Bmp, Fgf and notch signaling. PLoS Genet. 2015;11:e1005037 pubmed publisher..Together, these data support a model in which Tfap2a, acting through Bmp7a, modulates Fgf and Notch signaling to control the duration, amount and speed of SAG neural development. ..
- Nguyen Chi M, Bryson Richardson R, Sonntag C, Hall T, Gibson A, Sztal T, et al. Morphogenesis and cell fate determination within the adaxial cell equivalence group of the zebrafish myotome. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1003014 pubmed publisher..Thus our results reveal that the synergistic actions of HH, FGF, and BMP signaling independently create a three-dimensional (3D) signaling milieu that coordinates cell fate within the adaxial cell equivalence group. ..
- Clément A, Solnica Krezel L, Gould K. The Cdc14B phosphatase contributes to ciliogenesis in zebrafish. Development. 2011;138:291-302 pubmed publisher..This first study of a loss of function of a Cdc14 family member in a vertebrate organism reveals a new role for Cdc14B in ciliogenesis and consequently in a number of developmental processes. ..
- Paukert M, Sidi S, Russell C, Siba M, Wilson S, Nicolson T, et al. A family of acid-sensing ion channels from the zebrafish: widespread expression in the central nervous system suggests a conserved role in neuronal communication. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:18783-91 pubmed..This pattern suggests a predominant role for zASICs in neuronal communication. Our results suggest a conserved function for receptors of extracellular H(+) in the central nervous system of vertebrates. ..
- Lee Y, Hami D, De Val S, Kagermeier Schenk B, Wills A, Black B, et al. Maintenance of blastemal proliferation by functionally diverse epidermis in regenerating zebrafish fins. Dev Biol. 2009;331:270-80 pubmed publisher..Thus, the fin wound epidermis spatially confines Hh signaling through the activity of Fgf and Wnt pathways, impacting blastemal proliferation during regenerative outgrowth. ..
- Kaslin J, Ganz J, Geffarth M, Grandel H, Hans S, Brand M. Stem cells in the adult zebrafish cerebellum: initiation and maintenance of a novel stem cell niche. J Neurosci. 2009;29:6142-53 pubmed publisher..Nevertheless, retained epithelial properties such as distinct polarization and ventricular contact are critical common determinants to maintain neural stem cell activity in vertebrates. ..
- Manfroid I, Delporte F, Baudhuin A, Motte P, Neumann C, Voz M, et al. Reciprocal endoderm-mesoderm interactions mediated by fgf24 and fgf10 govern pancreas development. Development. 2007;134:4011-21 pubmed
- Mechaly A, Richardson E, Rinkwitz S. Activity of etv5a and etv5b genes in the hypothalamus of fasted zebrafish is influenced by serotonin. Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2017;246:233-240 pubmed publisher..We have analyzed a putative physiological function of the two etv5 paralogous genes (etv5a and etv5b) in neuronal food intake control in adult zebrafish that have been exposed to different nutritional conditions...
- Jurynec M, Grunwald D. SHIP2, a factor associated with diet-induced obesity and insulin sensitivity, attenuates FGF signaling in vivo. Dis Model Mech. 2010;3:733-42 pubmed publisher..We suggest that modulation of FGF signaling may be a principal function of SHIP2 in mammals. ..
- Gonzalez Quevedo R, Lee Y, Poss K, Wilkinson D. Neuronal regulation of the spatial patterning of neurogenesis. Dev Cell. 2010;18:136-47 pubmed publisher..at segment centers comprises a distinct progenitor population that expresses fibroblast growth factor (fgfr) 2, erm, sox9b, and the retinoic acid degrading enzyme, cyp26b1...
- Chen X, Huang H, Wang H, Guo F, Du X, Ma L, et al. Characterization of zebrafish Pax1b and Pax9 in fin bud development. Biomed Res Int. 2014;2014:309385 pubmed publisher..Together, this evidence for cell death caused by pax1b knockdown provides new insight into the role of the Pax protein family in cell fate determination and tissue specification. ..
- Hall C, Flores M, Murison G, Crosier K, Crosier P. An essential role for zebrafish Fgfrl1 during gill cartilage development. Mech Dev. 2006;123:925-40 pubmed..A duplicate zebrafish gene, fgfrl1b, has now been identified. We show that Fgfrl1b is also required for proper formation of all ventral cartilage elements and acts cooperatively with Fgfrl1a during gill cartilage formation. ..
- Kantarci H, Gerberding A, Riley B. Spemann organizer gene Goosecoid promotes delamination of neuroblasts from the otic vesicle. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016;113:E6840-E6848 pubmed..These data resolve a genetic mechanism controlling delamination of otic neuroblasts. The data also elucidate a developmental role for Gsc consistent with a general function in promoting epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition (EMT). ..
- Shin D, Weidinger G, Moon R, Stainier D. Intrinsic and extrinsic modifiers of the regulative capacity of the developing liver. Mech Dev. 2012;128:525-35 pubmed publisher..Altogether, these studies reveal that there is more than one way to form a liver, and provide molecular insights into the phenomenon of tissue plasticity. ..
- Felber K, Elks P, Lecca M, Roehl H. Expression of osterix Is Regulated by FGF and Wnt/Î²-Catenin Signalling during Osteoblast Differentiation. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0144982 pubmed publisher..Based upon these data, we propose that FGF and Wnt/Î²-Catenin pathways act in part by directing transcription of osx to promote osteoblast differentiation at sites of bone formation. ..
- Roussigne M, Blader P. Divergence in regulation of the PEA3 family of ETS transcription factors. Gene Expr Patterns. 2006;6:777-82 pubmed..In keeping with this observation, while pea3, erm and XER81 require FGF activity for their expression, er81 does not require FGF signalling...
- Clanton J, Hope K, Gamse J. Fgf signaling governs cell fate in the zebrafish pineal complex. Development. 2013;140:323-32 pubmed publisher..We conclude that this subset of anterior pineal complex precursors, which normally become parapineal cells, are bipotential and require Fgf8a to maintain parapineal identity and/or prevent cone identity. ..
- Walshe J, Mason I. Fgf signalling is required for formation of cartilage in the head. Dev Biol. 2003;264:522-36 pubmed..These data implicate Fgf3 and Fgf8 as key regulators of cartilage formation in the vertebrate head. ..
- Liedtke D, Winkler C. Midkine-b regulates cell specification at the neural plate border in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2008;237:62-74 pubmed..Our results imply that Mdkb is required for the earliest steps of cell specification at the neural plate border in zebrafish...
- Fischer S, Filipek Gorniok B, Ledin J. Zebrafish Ext2 is necessary for Fgf and Wnt signaling, but not for Hh signaling. BMC Dev Biol. 2011;11:53 pubmed publisher..Thus, our results support the hypothesis that regulation of heparan sulfate biosynthesis has distinct instructive functions for different signaling factors. ..
- Mercader N, Fischer S, Neumann C. Prdm1 acts downstream of a sequential RA, Wnt and Fgf signaling cascade during zebrafish forelimb induction. Development. 2006;133:2805-15 pubmed..tbx5 is required for Fgf signaling in the limb bud leading to activation of prdm1 expression, which in turn is required for downstream activation of fgf10 expression. ..
- Li M, Page McCaw P, Chen W. FGF1 Mediates Overnutrition-Induced Compensatory Î²-Cell Differentiation. Diabetes. 2016;65:96-109 pubmed publisher..Thus, the recently discovered antidiabetes function of FGF1 may act partially through increasing Î²-cell differentiation. ..
- Rengarajan C, Matzke A, Reiner L, Orian Rousseau V, Scholpp S. Endocytosis of Fgf8 is a double-stage process and regulates spreading and signaling. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e86373 pubmed publisher..Therefore, we hypothesize that Fgf8 receiving cells control both, the propagation width and the signal strength of the morphogen...
- Liao W, Cheng C, Hung K, Chiu W, Chen G, Hwang P, et al. Protein tyrosine phosphatase receptor type O (Ptpro) regulates cerebellar formation during zebrafish development through modulating Fgf signaling. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2013;70:2367-81 pubmed publisher..Therefore, our findings demonstrate that Ptpro activity is required for patterning the zebrafish embryonic brain. Specifically, Ptpro regulates cerebellar formation during zebrafish development through modulating Fgf signaling. ..
- Maves L, Jackman W, Kimmel C. FGF3 and FGF8 mediate a rhombomere 4 signaling activity in the zebrafish hindbrain. Development. 2002;129:3825-37 pubmed..Taken together, our findings demonstrate a crucial role for FGF-mediated inter-rhombomere signaling in promoting early hindbrain patterning and underscore the significance of organizing centers in patterning the vertebrate neural plate. ..
- Shi W, Chen X, Wang F, Gao M, Yang Y, Du Z, et al. ZDHHC16 modulates FGF/ERK dependent proliferation of neural stem/progenitor cells in the zebrafish telencephalon. Dev Neurobiol. 2016;76:1014-28 pubmed publisher..2016 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. Develop Neurobiol 76: 1014-1028, 2016. ..
- Topp S, Stigloher C, Komisarczuk A, Adolf B, Becker T, Bally Cuif L. Fgf signaling in the zebrafish adult brain: association of Fgf activity with ventricular zones but not cell proliferation. J Comp Neurol. 2008;510:422-39 pubmed publisher..We report expression of Fgf signals (fgf3,4,8a,8b,17b), receptors (fgfr1-4), and targets (erm, pea3, dusp6, spry1,2,4, and P-ERK) and document that genes of the embryonic fgf8 synexpression group acquire ..
- Terriente J, Gerety S, Watanabe Asaka T, Gonzalez Quevedo R, Wilkinson D. Signalling from hindbrain boundaries regulates neuronal clustering that patterns neurogenesis. Development. 2012;139:2978-87 pubmed publisher..Sema3 signalling from boundaries thus links hindbrain segmentation to the positioning of fgf20a-expressing neurons that regulates neurogenesis. ..
- Goldshmit Y, Sztal T, Jusuf P, Hall T, Nguyen Chi M, Currie P. Fgf-dependent glial cell bridges facilitate spinal cord regeneration in zebrafish. J Neurosci. 2012;32:7477-92 pubmed publisher..This suggests that differential Fgf regulation, rather than intrinsic cell differences, underlie the distinct responses of mammalian and zebrafish glia to injury. ..
- McMahon C, Gestri G, Wilson S, Link B. Lmx1b is essential for survival of periocular mesenchymal cells and influences Fgf-mediated retinal patterning in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2009;332:287-98 pubmed publisher..Overall, we propose zebrafish lmx1b.1 and lmx1b.2 promote the survival of periocular mesenchymal cells that influence multiple signaling events required for proper ocular development. ..
- Rau M, Fischer S, Neumann C. Zebrafish Trap230/Med12 is required as a coactivator for Sox9-dependent neural crest, cartilage and ear development. Dev Biol. 2006;296:83-93 pubmed..Mediator is a coactivator complex transducing the interaction of DNA-binding transcription factors with RNA polymerase II, and our results reveal a critical function of the Trap230 subunit as a coactivator for Sox9. ..
- Nechiporuk A, Linbo T, Poss K, Raible D. Specification of epibranchial placodes in zebrafish. Development. 2007;134:611-23 pubmed..The coordinated interplay between craniofacial tissues would thus assure proper spatial and temporal interactions in the shaping of the vertebrate head...
- Lin C, Lee H, Chen H, Hsieh C, Tsai H. Normal function of Myf5 during gastrulation is required for pharyngeal arch cartilage development in zebrafish embryos. Zebrafish. 2013;10:486-99 pubmed publisher..Together, the loss of Myf5 function results in a cascade effect that begins with abnormal formation of the dorsal organizer during gastrulation, causing, in turn, defects in the CNC and cranial cartilage of myf5-knockdown embryos. ..
- Roberson S, Halpern M. Convergence of signaling pathways underlying habenular formation and axonal outgrowth in zebrafish. Development. 2017;144:2652-2662 pubmed publisher..The results define a signaling network underlying the generation of dHb neurons and connectivity with their midbrain target. ..
- Znosko W, Yu S, Thomas K, Molina G, Li C, Tsang W, et al. Overlapping functions of Pea3 ETS transcription factors in FGF signaling during zebrafish development. Dev Biol. 2010;342:11-25 pubmed publisher..In zebrafish, the simultaneous knock-down of three Pea3 ETS proteins, Etv5, Erm, and Pea3, produced phenotypes reminiscent of embryos deficient in FGF signaling...
- Camarata T, Snyder D, Schwend T, Klosowiak J, Holtrup B, Simon H. Pdlim7 is required for maintenance of the mesenchymal/epidermal Fgf signaling feedback loop during zebrafish pectoral fin development. BMC Dev Biol. 2010;10:104 pubmed publisher..These new regulatory mechanisms may have important implications how we interpret Tbx5 function in congenital hand/heart syndromes in humans. ..
- Bajard L, Morelli L, Ares S, PÃ©crÃ©aux J, JÃ¼licher F, Oates A. Wnt-regulated dynamics of positional information in zebrafish somitogenesis. Development. 2014;141:1381-91 pubmed publisher..The observed Wnt signaling gradient dynamics and timing of downstream events support a model for wavefront regulation in which cell flow plays a dominant role in transporting positional information. ..
- Le X, Pugach E, Hettmer S, Storer N, Liu J, Wills A, et al. A novel chemical screening strategy in zebrafish identifies common pathways in embryogenesis and rhabdomyosarcoma development. Development. 2013;140:2354-64 pubmed publisher..Our work demonstrates that the activated pathways in RAS induction during embryogenesis are also important in oncogenesis and that inhibition of these pathways suppresses tumor growth. ..
- Lightman E, Harrison M, Cunliffe V. Opposing actions of histone deacetylase 1 and Notch signalling restrict expression of erm and fgf20a to hindbrain rhombomere centres during zebrafish neurogenesis. Int J Dev Biol. 2011;55:597-602 pubmed publisher..In the zebrafish hindbrain, Fgf20a promotes transcription of the gene encoding the ETS-domain transcription factor Erm in the non-neurogenic centres of rhombomeres...
- Chen S, Shih H, Lin S, Hsiao C, Li Z, Cheng Y. Etv5a regulates the proliferation of ventral mesoderm cells and the formation of hemato-vascular derivatives. J Cell Sci. 2013;126:5626-34 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our data reveal that etv5a is essential for the inhibition of ventral mesoderm cell proliferation and for the formation of the hemato-vascular lineage. ..
- Vinothkumar S, Rastegar S, Takamiya M, Ertzer R, Strahle U. Sequential and cooperative action of Fgfs and Shh in the zebrafish retina. Dev Biol. 2008;314:200-14 pubmed publisher..This sequence contains binding sites for the transcription factors Erm and Pea3 that are known transducers of Fgf signaling...
- Riley B, Chiang M, Storch E, Heck R, Buckles G, Lekven A. Rhombomere boundaries are Wnt signaling centers that regulate metameric patterning in the zebrafish hindbrain. Dev Dyn. 2004;231:278-91 pubmed..Similar feedback mechanisms operate in the Drosophila wing disc and vertebrate limb bud, suggesting coaptation of a conserved signaling module that spatially organizes cells in complex organ systems. ..
- Ota S, Tonou Fujimori N, Nakayama Y, Ito Y, Kawamura A, Yamasu K. FGF receptor gene expression and its regulation by FGF signaling during early zebrafish development. Genesis. 2010;48:707-16 pubmed publisher..1/fgf8a mutants, we found that fgfr expression is directly or indirectly regulated by FGF signaling during epiboly and at the end of somitogenesis, revealing the presence of an autoregulatory mechanism. ..
- Guner B, Ozacar A, Thomas J, Karlstrom R. Graded hedgehog and fibroblast growth factor signaling independently regulate pituitary cell fates and help establish the pars distalis and pars intermedia of the zebrafish adenohypophysis. Endocrinology. 2008;149:4435-51 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that there are distinct origins and signaling requirements for the PD and PI. ..
- Mao J, McGlinn E, Huang P, Tabin C, McMahon A. Fgf-dependent Etv4/5 activity is required for posterior restriction of Sonic Hedgehog and promoting outgrowth of the vertebrate limb. Dev Cell. 2009;16:600-6 pubmed publisher..This study identifies another level of genetic interaction between the orthogonal axes during limb development...