Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: etv4
Description: ets variant 4
Alias: pea3, ETS translocation variant 4, ETS domain-containing transcription factor PEA3, etID309954.12, ets variant gene 4, polyomavirus enhancer activator 3 homolog
- Martin B, Kimelman D. Brachyury establishes the embryonic mesodermal progenitor niche. Genes Dev. 2010;24:2778-83 pubmed publisher..Thus, the embryonic mesodermal progenitors uniquely establish their own niche--with Brachyury being essential for creating a domain of high Wnt and low RA signaling--rather than having a niche created by separate support cells. ..
- Lee Y, Hami D, De Val S, Kagermeier Schenk B, Wills A, Black B, et al. Maintenance of blastemal proliferation by functionally diverse epidermis in regenerating zebrafish fins. Dev Biol. 2009;331:270-80 pubmed publisher..the transcription factor lef1 and the blastemal mitogen shh, while distal subtypes express the Fgf target gene pea3 and wnt5b, an inhibitor of blastemal proliferation...
- Raible F, Brand M. Tight transcriptional control of the ETS domain factors Erm and Pea3 by Fgf signaling during early zebrafish development. Mech Dev. 2001;107:105-17 pubmed..Here we study Erm and Pea3, two ETS domain transcription factors, and show that their expression correlates closely with the domains of fgf8 ..
- Chen X, Lou Q, He J, Yin Z. Role of zebrafish lbx2 in embryonic lateral line development. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e29515 pubmed publisher..In addition, the disassociation of PPL nerve extension with PLL primordial migration in some lbx2 morphants suggests that pathfinding of the PLL primordium and the lateral line nerve may be regulated independently. ..
- Valdivia L, Young R, Hawkins T, Stickney H, Cavodeassi F, Schwarz Q, et al. Lef1-dependent Wnt/?-catenin signalling drives the proliferative engine that maintains tissue homeostasis during lateral line development. Development. 2011;138:3931-41 pubmed publisher..Our data support a model in which Lef1 sustains proliferation of leading zone progenitors, maintaining the primordium size and defining neuromast deposition rate. ..
- Prykhozhij S, Neumann C. Distinct roles of Shh and Fgf signaling in regulating cell proliferation during zebrafish pectoral fin development. BMC Dev Biol. 2008;8:91 pubmed publisher..These results show that Fgf signaling is of primary importance in directing outgrowth of the limb bud, and clarify the role of the Shh-Fgf feedback loop in regulating proliferation. ..
- Hammond K, Whitfield T. Fgf and Hh signalling act on a symmetrical pre-pattern to specify anterior and posterior identity in the zebrafish otic placode and vesicle. Development. 2011;138:3977-87 pubmed publisher..Each signalling pathway has instructive activity: neither acts simply to repress activity of the other, and, together, they appear to be key players in the specification of anteroposterior asymmetries in the zebrafish ear. ..
- Scholpp S, Brand M. Endocytosis controls spreading and effective signaling range of Fgf8 protein. Curr Biol. 2004;14:1834-41 pubmed
- Matsuda M, Nogare D, Somers K, Martin K, Wang C, Chitnis A. Lef1 regulates Dusp6 to influence neuromast formation and spacing in the zebrafish posterior lateral line primordium. Development. 2013;140:2387-97 pubmed publisher..This is associated with progressively slower PLLp migration, reduced spacing between deposited neuromasts and premature termination of the PLLp system. ..
- Neugebauer J, Amack J, Peterson A, Bisgrove B, Yost H. FGF signalling during embryo development regulates cilia length in diverse epithelia. Nature. 2009;458:651-4 pubmed publisher..We propose that a subset of developmental defects and diseases ascribed to FGF signalling are due in part to loss of cilia function. ..
- Lecaudey V, Cakan Akdogan G, Norton W, Gilmour D. Dynamic Fgf signaling couples morphogenesis and migration in the zebrafish lateral line primordium. Development. 2008;135:2695-705 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, this work uncovers a surprising link between internal tissue organization and collective migration. ..
- Nechiporuk A, Raible D. FGF-dependent mechanosensory organ patterning in zebrafish. Science. 2008;320:1774-7 pubmed publisher..This previously unrecognized mechanism may be applicable to understanding segmentation and morphogenesis in other organ systems. ..
- Norton W, Ledin J, Grandel H, Neumann C. HSPG synthesis by zebrafish Ext2 and Extl3 is required for Fgf10 signalling during limb development. Development. 2005;132:4963-73 pubmed..This reveals an unexpected specificity of HSPGs in regulating distinct vertebrate Fgfs. ..
- Roehl H, Nusslein Volhard C. Zebrafish pea3 and erm are general targets of FGF8 signaling. Curr Biol. 2001;11:503-7 pubmed..Here, we propose that two zebrafish ETS genes, pea3 and erm, are general targets of FGF8 signaling, based upon the following observations: both genes are expressed ..
- Pouget C, Peterkin T, SimÃµes F, Lee Y, Traver D, Patient R. FGF signalling restricts haematopoietic stem cell specification via modulation of the BMP pathway. Nat Commun. 2014;5:5588 pubmed publisher..These results should help inform strategies to recapitulate the development of HSCs in vitro from pluripotent precursors. ..
- Wang D, Jao L, Zheng N, Dolan K, Ivey J, Zonies S, et al. Efficient genome-wide mutagenesis of zebrafish genes by retroviral insertions. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:12428-33 pubmed..Combining this increase in efficiency with cryopreservation of sperm samples from the F(1) fish, it is now possible to create a stable resource that contains mutations in every known zebrafish gene. ..
- Venero Galanternik M, Kramer K, Piotrowski T. Heparan Sulfate Proteoglycans Regulate Fgf Signaling and Cell Polarity during Collective Cell Migration. Cell Rep. 2015;: pubmed publisher..The HSPGs themselves are regulated by the Wnt/Î²-catenin and Fgf pathways and thus are integral components of the regulatory network that coordinates collective cell migration with organ specification and morphogenesis. ..
- Maier E, Whitfield T. RA and FGF signalling are required in the zebrafish otic vesicle to pattern and maintain ventral otic identities. PLoS Genet. 2014;10:e1004858 pubmed publisher..In addition, our results indicate that FGF and RA signalling act in a feedback loop in the anterior OV, crucial for pattern refinement. ..
- Nguyen Chi M, Bryson Richardson R, Sonntag C, Hall T, Gibson A, Sztal T, et al. Morphogenesis and cell fate determination within the adaxial cell equivalence group of the zebrafish myotome. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1003014 pubmed publisher..Thus our results reveal that the synergistic actions of HH, FGF, and BMP signaling independently create a three-dimensional (3D) signaling milieu that coordinates cell fate within the adaxial cell equivalence group. ..
- Nikaido M, Navajas Acedo J, Hatta K, Piotrowski T. Retinoic acid is required and Fgf, Wnt, and Bmp signaling inhibit posterior lateral line placode induction in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2017;431:215-225 pubmed publisher..This is the first report that the aLLp and pLLp depend on different inductive mechanisms and that pLLp induction requires the inhibition of Fgf, Wnt and Bmp signaling. ..
- Pi Roig A, Martin Blanco E, Minguillon C. Distinct tissue-specific requirements for the zebrafish tbx5 genes during heart, retina and pectoral fin development. Open Biol. 2014;4:140014 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we uncover a novel role for tbx5 genes in the establishment of correct heart asymmetry in zebrafish embryos. ..
- Flowers G, Topczewska J, Topczewski J. A zebrafish Notum homolog specifically blocks the Wnt/?-catenin signaling pathway. Development. 2012;139:2416-25 pubmed publisher..Notum 1a does not interact with Glypican 4, an essential component of the Wnt/planar cell polarity (PCP) pathway. Our results suggest a surprising specific role of Notum in the developing vertebrate embryo. ..
- Fischer S, Filipek Gorniok B, Ledin J. Zebrafish Ext2 is necessary for Fgf and Wnt signaling, but not for Hh signaling. BMC Dev Biol. 2011;11:53 pubmed publisher..Thus, our results support the hypothesis that regulation of heparan sulfate biosynthesis has distinct instructive functions for different signaling factors. ..
- Manfroid I, Delporte F, Baudhuin A, Motte P, Neumann C, Voz M, et al. Reciprocal endoderm-mesoderm interactions mediated by fgf24 and fgf10 govern pancreas development. Development. 2007;134:4011-21 pubmed
- Duszynski R, Topczewski J, LeClair E. Divergent requirements for fibroblast growth factor signaling in zebrafish maxillary barbel and caudal fin regeneration. Dev Growth Differ. 2013;55:282-300 pubmed publisher..Multiple FGF ligands (fgf20a, fgf24), receptors (fgfr1-4) and downstream targets (pea3, il17d) are expressed in normal and regenerating barbel tissue, confirming FGF activation...
- Clément A, Solnica Krezel L, Gould K. The Cdc14B phosphatase contributes to ciliogenesis in zebrafish. Development. 2011;138:291-302 pubmed publisher..This first study of a loss of function of a Cdc14 family member in a vertebrate organism reveals a new role for Cdc14B in ciliogenesis and consequently in a number of developmental processes. ..
- Tiso N, Filippi A, Benato F, Negrisolo E, Modena N, Vaccari E, et al. Differential expression and regulation of olig genes in zebrafish. J Comp Neurol. 2009;515:378-96 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest a role for olig genes in CNS patterning as well as in multiple cell fate decisions during neural differentiation. ..
- Leerberg D, Sano K, Draper B. Fibroblast growth factor signaling is required for early somatic gonad development in zebrafish. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1006993 pubmed publisher..Finally, we argue that the role of Fgf24 in zebrafish is functionally analogous to the role of tetrapod FGF9 in early gonad development. ..
- SpirÃ³ Z, Koh A, Tay S, See K, Winkler C. Transcriptional enhancement of Smn levels in motoneurons is crucial for proper axon morphology in zebrafish. Sci Rep. 2016;6:27470 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate the reliance of motoneurons on more Smn, thereby adding a novel piece of evidence for their increased vulnerability under SMA conditions. ..
- Borah S, Barrodia P, Swain R. Nucleolar protein 4-like has a complex expression pattern in zebrafish embryos. Int J Dev Biol. 2016;60:53-6 pubmed publisher..Our data show that Znol4l mRNA is expressed in multiple organs in zebrafish embryos. The sites of expression include parts of the brain, spinal cord, pronephros, hematopoietic cells and gut. ..
- Kantarci H, Edlund R, Groves A, Riley B. Tfap2a promotes specification and maturation of neurons in the inner ear through modulation of Bmp, Fgf and notch signaling. PLoS Genet. 2015;11:e1005037 pubmed publisher..Together, these data support a model in which Tfap2a, acting through Bmp7a, modulates Fgf and Notch signaling to control the duration, amount and speed of SAG neural development. ..
- Liu I, Zhang C, Kim M, Cole G. Retina development in zebrafish requires the heparan sulfate proteoglycan agrin. Dev Neurobiol. 2008;68:877-98 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these agrin morphant phenotypes provide support for a crucial role of agrin in retina development and formation of an ordered retinotectal topographic map in the optic tectum of zebrafish. ..
- Dyer C, Blanc E, Hanisch A, Roehl H, Otto G, Yu T, et al. A bi-modal function of Wnt signalling directs an FGF activity gradient to spatially regulate neuronal differentiation in the midbrain. Development. 2014;141:63-72 pubmed publisher..This controls a dynamic, posteriorly retracting expression of her5 that directs neuronal differentiation in a precise spatiotemporal manner in the midbrain...
- Shin D, Weidinger G, Moon R, Stainier D. Intrinsic and extrinsic modifiers of the regulative capacity of the developing liver. Mech Dev. 2012;128:525-35 pubmed publisher..Altogether, these studies reveal that there is more than one way to form a liver, and provide molecular insights into the phenomenon of tissue plasticity. ..
- Zhang J, Wagh P, Guay D, Sanchez Pulido L, Padhi B, Korzh V, et al. Loss of fish actinotrichia proteins and the fin-to-limb transition. Nature. 2010;466:234-7 pubmed publisher..We propose that the loss of both actinodins and actinotrichia during evolution may have led to the loss of lepidotrichia and may have contributed to the fin-to-limb transition...
- Bajard L, Morelli L, Ares S, PÃ©crÃ©aux J, JÃ¼licher F, Oates A. Wnt-regulated dynamics of positional information in zebrafish somitogenesis. Development. 2014;141:1381-91 pubmed publisher..The observed Wnt signaling gradient dynamics and timing of downstream events support a model for wavefront regulation in which cell flow plays a dominant role in transporting positional information. ..
- Mao J, McGlinn E, Huang P, Tabin C, McMahon A. Fgf-dependent Etv4/5 activity is required for posterior restriction of Sonic Hedgehog and promoting outgrowth of the vertebrate limb. Dev Cell. 2009;16:600-6 pubmed publisher..Here, we show that FGF-dependent activation of the ETS transcription factors Etv4 and Etv5 contributes to proximal-distal limb outgrowth...
- Marra A, Wingert R. Epithelial cell fate in the nephron tubule is mediated by the ETS transcription factors etv5a and etv4 during zebrafish kidney development. Dev Biol. 2016;411:231-245 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, deficiency of ets variant 4 (etv4), a related gene that is broadly expressed in the posterior mesoderm during somitogenesis stages, also led to ..
- Xing C, Gong B, Xue Y, Han Y, Wang Y, Meng A, et al. TGFÎ²1a regulates zebrafish posterior lateral line formation via Smad5 mediated pathway. J Mol Cell Biol. 2015;7:48-61 pubmed publisher..Therefore, TGFÎ²/Smad5 signaling plays an important role in the zebrafish lateral line formation. ..
- Chen Q, Huang S, Zhao Q, Chen R, Zhang A. Expression and function of the Ets transcription factor pea3 during formation of zebrafish pronephros. Pediatr Nephrol. 2011;26:391-400 pubmed publisherPolyomavirus enhancer activator 3 (Pea3), belonging to the PEA3 subfamily of Ets transcription factors, is essential for certain organogenesis in mammals...
- Camarata T, Snyder D, Schwend T, Klosowiak J, Holtrup B, Simon H. Pdlim7 is required for maintenance of the mesenchymal/epidermal Fgf signaling feedback loop during zebrafish pectoral fin development. BMC Dev Biol. 2010;10:104 pubmed publisher..These new regulatory mechanisms may have important implications how we interpret Tbx5 function in congenital hand/heart syndromes in humans. ..
- Nechiporuk A, Linbo T, Poss K, Raible D. Specification of epibranchial placodes in zebrafish. Development. 2007;134:611-23 pubmed..The coordinated interplay between craniofacial tissues would thus assure proper spatial and temporal interactions in the shaping of the vertebrate head...
- Vinothkumar S, Rastegar S, Takamiya M, Ertzer R, Strahle U. Sequential and cooperative action of Fgfs and Shh in the zebrafish retina. Dev Biol. 2008;314:200-14 pubmed publisher..This sequence contains binding sites for the transcription factors Erm and Pea3 that are known transducers of Fgf signaling...
- Znosko W, Yu S, Thomas K, Molina G, Li C, Tsang W, et al. Overlapping functions of Pea3 ETS transcription factors in FGF signaling during zebrafish development. Dev Biol. 2010;342:11-25 pubmed publisher..In zebrafish, the simultaneous knock-down of three Pea3 ETS proteins, Etv5, Erm, and Pea3, produced phenotypes reminiscent of embryos deficient in FGF signaling...
- Rau M, Fischer S, Neumann C. Zebrafish Trap230/Med12 is required as a coactivator for Sox9-dependent neural crest, cartilage and ear development. Dev Biol. 2006;296:83-93 pubmed..Mediator is a coactivator complex transducing the interaction of DNA-binding transcription factors with RNA polymerase II, and our results reveal a critical function of the Trap230 subunit as a coactivator for Sox9. ..
- Goldshmit Y, Sztal T, Jusuf P, Hall T, Nguyen Chi M, Currie P. Fgf-dependent glial cell bridges facilitate spinal cord regeneration in zebrafish. J Neurosci. 2012;32:7477-92 pubmed publisher..This suggests that differential Fgf regulation, rather than intrinsic cell differences, underlie the distinct responses of mammalian and zebrafish glia to injury. ..
- Venero Galanternik M, Lush M, Piotrowski T. Glypican4 modulates lateral line collective cell migration non cell-autonomously. Dev Biol. 2016;419:321-335 pubmed publisher..Our results show that glypican4 has distinct functions in primordium cells and cells in the environment and that both of these functions are essential for collective cell migration. ..
- Hans S, Christison J, Liu D, Westerfield M. Fgf-dependent otic induction requires competence provided by Foxi1 and Dlx3b. BMC Dev Biol. 2007;7:5 pubmed..These results provide further support for the hypothesis that Foxi1 and Dlx3b provide competence for cells to respond to Fgf and form an otic placode. ..
- Lin C, Lee H, Chen H, Hsieh C, Tsai H. Normal function of Myf5 during gastrulation is required for pharyngeal arch cartilage development in zebrafish embryos. Zebrafish. 2013;10:486-99 pubmed publisher..Together, the loss of Myf5 function results in a cascade effect that begins with abnormal formation of the dorsal organizer during gastrulation, causing, in turn, defects in the CNC and cranial cartilage of myf5-knockdown embryos. ..
- Martin B, Kimelman D. Regulation of canonical Wnt signaling by Brachyury is essential for posterior mesoderm formation. Dev Cell. 2008;15:121-33 pubmed publisher..We propose that a positive autoregulatory loop between Ntl/Bra and canonical Wnt signaling maintains the mesodermal progenitors to facilitate posterior somite development in chordates...
- Das A, Crump J. Bmps and id2a act upstream of Twist1 to restrict ectomesenchyme potential of the cranial neural crest. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1002710 pubmed publisher..Together our model shows how the integration of Bmp inhibition at its origin and Fgf activation along its migratory route would confer temporal and spatial specificity to the generation of ectomesenchyme from the neural crest...
- Crump J, Swartz M, Kimmel C. An integrin-dependent role of pouch endoderm in hyoid cartilage development. PLoS Biol. 2004;2:E244 pubmed..Lastly, we discuss the implications of a mosaic assembly of the facial skeleton for the evolution of ray-finned fish. ..
- Topp S, Stigloher C, Komisarczuk A, Adolf B, Becker T, Bally Cuif L. Fgf signaling in the zebrafish adult brain: association of Fgf activity with ventricular zones but not cell proliferation. J Comp Neurol. 2008;510:422-39 pubmed publisher..We report expression of Fgf signals (fgf3,4,8a,8b,17b), receptors (fgfr1-4), and targets (erm, pea3, dusp6, spry1,2,4, and P-ERK) and document that genes of the embryonic fgf8 synexpression group acquire strikingly ..
- He Y, Wang Z, Sun S, Tang D, Li W, Chai R, et al. HDAC3 Is Required for Posterior Lateral Line Development in Zebrafish. Mol Neurobiol. 2016;53:5103-17 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that HDAC3 plays a crucial role in regulating posterior lateral line (PLL) formation and provide evidence for epigenetic regulation in auditory organ development. ..
- McMahon C, Gestri G, Wilson S, Link B. Lmx1b is essential for survival of periocular mesenchymal cells and influences Fgf-mediated retinal patterning in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2009;332:287-98 pubmed publisher..Overall, we propose zebrafish lmx1b.1 and lmx1b.2 promote the survival of periocular mesenchymal cells that influence multiple signaling events required for proper ocular development. ..
- McGraw H, Culbertson M, Nechiporuk A. Kremen1 restricts Dkk activity during posterior lateral line development in zebrafish. Development. 2014;141:3212-21 pubmed publisher..Based on our data, we propose a novel mechanism in which Kremen1 modulates Wnt activity by restricting the range of secreted Dkk proteins during collective cell migration in the pLLP. ..
- Sang Q, Zhang J, Feng R, Wang X, Li Q, Zhao X, et al. Ildr1b is essential for semicircular canal development, migration of the posterior lateral line primordium and hearing ability in zebrafish: implications for a role in the recessive hearing impairment DFNB42. Hum Mol Genet. 2014;23:6201-11 pubmed publisher..We concluded that Ildr1b is crucial for the development of the inner ear and the lateral line system. This study provides the first evidence for the mechanism of Ildr1b on hearing in vivo and sheds light on the pathology of DFNB42. ..
- Yoda H, Momoi A, Esguerra C, Meyer D, Driever W, Kondoh H, et al. An expression pattern screen for genes involved in the induction of the posterior nervous system of zebrafish. Differentiation. 2003;71:152-62 pubmed..Thus, our approach employing cDNA subtraction and subsequent expression pattern screening allows us to clone candidate genes involved in a novel signaling pathway contributing to the formation of the posterior nervous system. ..
- Shi W, Chen X, Wang F, Gao M, Yang Y, Du Z, et al. ZDHHC16 modulates FGF/ERK dependent proliferation of neural stem/progenitor cells in the zebrafish telencephalon. Dev Neurobiol. 2016;76:1014-28 pubmed publisher..2016 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. Develop Neurobiol 76: 1014-1028, 2016. ..
- Kapsimali M, Kaushik A, Gibon G, Dirian L, Ernest S, Rosa F. Fgf signaling controls pharyngeal taste bud formation through miR-200 and Delta-Notch activity. Development. 2011;138:3473-84 pubmed publisher..Altogether, this study provides genetic evidence that supports a novel model where Fgf regulates Delta-Notch signaling, and subsequently miR-200 activity, in order to promote taste bud cell type differentiation. ..
- Marques S, Lee Y, Poss K, Yelon D. Reiterative roles for FGF signaling in the establishment of size and proportion of the zebrafish heart. Dev Biol. 2008;321:397-406 pubmed publisher..Together, our data demonstrate that a single signaling pathway can act reiteratively to coordinate organ size and proportion. ..
- Ariza Cosano A, Bensimon Brito A, Gomez Skarmeta J, Bessa J. sox21a directs lateral line patterning by modulating FGF signaling. Dev Neurobiol. 2015;75:80-92 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that sox21a is a key player in the pLL primordium patterning, fine-tuning the border of the Fgf and Wnt signaling domains. ..
- Mercader N, Fischer S, Neumann C. Prdm1 acts downstream of a sequential RA, Wnt and Fgf signaling cascade during zebrafish forelimb induction. Development. 2006;133:2805-15 pubmed..tbx5 is required for Fgf signaling in the limb bud leading to activation of prdm1 expression, which in turn is required for downstream activation of fgf10 expression. ..
- Lush M, Piotrowski T. ErbB expressing Schwann cells control lateral line progenitor cells via non-cell-autonomous regulation of Wnt/?-catenin. elife. 2014;3:e01832 pubmed publisher..DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.7554/eLife.01832.001. ..
- He Y, Tang D, Cai C, Chai R, Li H. LSD1 is Required for Hair Cell Regeneration in Zebrafish. Mol Neurobiol. 2016;53:2421-34 pubmed publisher..Thus, LSD1 plays a critical role in hair cell regeneration and might represent a novel biomarker and potential therapeutic approach for the treatment of hearing loss. ..
- Freitas R, Gómez Marín C, Wilson J, Casares F, Gomez Skarmeta J. Hoxd13 contribution to the evolution of vertebrate appendages. Dev Cell. 2012;23:1219-29 pubmed publisher..Our results support the idea that modulation of 5'Hoxd gene expression, by acquisition of novel enhancer elements, offered the substrate for the evolution of fins and the origin of tetrapod limbs. ..
- Rengarajan C, Matzke A, Reiner L, Orian Rousseau V, Scholpp S. Endocytosis of Fgf8 is a double-stage process and regulates spreading and signaling. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e86373 pubmed publisher..Therefore, we hypothesize that Fgf8 receiving cells control both, the propagation width and the signal strength of the morphogen...
- Han H, Chou C, Chu C, Cheng C, Yang C, Hung C, et al. The Nogo-C2/Nogo receptor complex regulates the morphogenesis of zebrafish lateral line primordium through modulating the expression of dkk1b, a Wnt signal inhibitor. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e86345 pubmed publisher..Notably, the expression levels of pea3, a downstream marker of Fgf signaling, and dkk1b, a Wnt signaling inhibitor, were both decreased in p75, TROY, and ..