Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: esr2b
Description: estrogen receptor 2b
Alias: ER[b]1, zfER-beta1, zfER[b]1, estrogen receptor beta, ERbeta-A, NR3A2-A, estrogen receptor beta b, estrogen receptor beta1
- Notch E, Mayer G. Efficacy of pharmacological estrogen receptor antagonists in blocking activation of zebrafish estrogen receptors. Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2011;173:183-9 pubmed publisher..Full length cDNA of zebrafish estrogen receptor 1 (esr1), estrogen receptor 2a (esr2a) and estrogen receptor 2b (esr2b) were cloned into expression vectors and transfected into cells that do not endogenously express any estrogen ..
- Costache A, Pullela P, Kasha P, Tomasiewicz H, Sem D. Homology-modeled ligand-binding domains of zebrafish estrogen receptors alpha, beta1, and beta2: from in silico to in vivo studies of estrogen interactions in Danio rerio as a model system. Mol Endocrinol. 2005;19:2979-90 pubmed..These data provide a foundation for future in silico and in vivo binding studies of estrogen agonists and antagonists with zebrafish ERs. ..
- Pellegrini E, Menuet A, Lethimonier C, Adrio F, Gueguen M, Tascon C, et al. Relationships between aromatase and estrogen receptors in the brain of teleost fish. Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2005;142:60-6 pubmed
- Bardet P, Horard B, Robinson Rechavi M, Laudet V, Vanacker J. Characterization of oestrogen receptors in zebrafish (Danio rerio). J Mol Endocrinol. 2002;28:153-63 pubmed..After 48 h after fertilization, all ERs, but predominantly ER alpha, began to be expressed. We conclude that oestrogen signal transduction can operate during zebrafish development only within discrete time windows. ..
- Liu K, Lau S, Ge W. Spatiotemporal expression analysis of nuclear estrogen receptors in the zebrafish ovary and their regulation in vitro by endocrine hormones and paracrine factors. Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2017;246:218-225 pubmed publisher..expression profiles of three nER subtypes in the zebrafish ovary, including esr1 (ER?), esr2a (ER?2) and esr2b (ER?1)...
- Zhang W, Sheng N, Wang M, Zhang H, Dai J. Zebrafish reproductive toxicity induced by chronic perfluorononanoate exposure. Aquat Toxicol. 2016;175:269-76 pubmed publisher..The results of this study indicate that chronic exposure to PFNA can lead to dysfunction in the HPGL axis and sex hormone synthesis and cause adverse effects on fish reproduction. ..
- Chouchene L, Pellegrini E, Gueguen M, Hinfray N, Brion F, Piccini B, et al. Inhibitory effect of cadmium on estrogen signaling in zebrafish brain and protection by zinc. J Appl Toxicol. 2016;36:863-71 pubmed publisher..These inhibitory effects were accompanied by a significant downregulation of the expression of esr1, esr2a, esr2b and cyp19a1b genes compared to the E2 -treated group used as a positive control...
- Gibert Y, Sassi Messai S, Fini J, Bernard L, Zalko D, Cravedi J, et al. Bisphenol A induces otolith malformations during vertebrate embryogenesis. BMC Dev Biol. 2011;11:4 pubmed publisher..The data suggest that the spectrum of BPA action is wider than previously expected and argue for a systematic survey of the developmental effects of this endocrine disruptor. ..
- Arukwe A, Nordtug T, Kortner T, Mortensen A, Brakstad O. Modulation of steroidogenesis and xenobiotic biotransformation responses in zebrafish (Danio rerio) exposed to water-soluble fraction of crude oil. Environ Res. 2008;107:362-70 pubmed publisher..Thus, these responses might represent sensitive diagnostic tools for short-term and acute exposure of fish or other aquatic organisms to WSF. ..
- Kwon B, Ha N, Jung J, Kim P, Kho Y, Choi K, et al. Effects of Barium Chloride Exposure on Hormones and Genes of the Hypothalamic-Pituitary-Gonad Axis, and Reproduction of Zebrafish (Danio rerio). Bull Environ Contam Toxicol. 2016;96:341-6 pubmed publisher..The results demonstrated that BaCl2 could modulate gene transcriptions and hormone production of the HPG axis in a sex-dependent way, which could cause adverse effects on reproduction and the development of offspring. ..
- McGonnell I, Fowkes R. Fishing for gene function--endocrine modelling in the zebrafish. J Endocrinol. 2006;189:425-39 pubmed..We anticipate that the use of these techniques will make the zebrafish a prominent model in endocrine research in the coming years. ..
- Rainieri S, Conlledo N, Langerholc T, Madorran E, Sala M, Barranco A. Toxic effects of perfluorinated compounds at human cellular level and on a model vertebrate. Food Chem Toxicol. 2017;104:14-25 pubmed publisher..This study highlights the importance of studying PFCs in realistic conditions on various biological models. ..
- Zhao F, Wei P, Wang J, Yu M, Zhang X, Tian H, et al. Estrogenic effects associated with bisphenol a exposure in male zebrafish (Danio rerio) is associated with changes of endogenous 17?-estradiol and gene specific DNA methylation levels. Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2017;252:27-35 pubmed publisher..These observations provide evidence for the non-ERs mediated mechanisms underlying the estrogenic action of BPA on male zebrafish. ..
- LÃ³pez MuÃ±oz A, Liarte S, GÃ³mez GonzÃ¡lez N, Cabas I, Meseguer J, GarcÃa Ayala A, et al. Estrogen receptor 2b deficiency impairs the antiviral response of zebrafish. Dev Comp Immunol. 2015;53:55-62 pubmed publisher..line carrying an insertion of 8 amino acids in the ligand-binding domain of the estrogen receptor 2b gene (esr2b) to further understand the role of estrogen signaling on innate immunity...
- Griffin L, January K, Ho K, Cotter K, Callard G. Morpholino-mediated knockdown of ER?, ER?a, and ER?b mRNAs in zebrafish (Danio rerio) embryos reveals differential regulation of estrogen-inducible genes. Endocrinology. 2013;154:4158-69 pubmed publisher..production of variants with a retained intron III (esr1 MO) or a deleted or mis-spliced exon III (esr2a and esr2b MOs)...
- Liu W, Chen C, Chen L, Wang L, Li J, Chen Y, et al. Sex-dependent effects of microcystin-LR on hypothalamic-pituitary-gonad axis and gametogenesis of adult zebrafish. Sci Rep. 2016;6:22819 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, this study first investigated the sex-dependent effects of microcystins on fish reproduction and revealed some important molecular biomarkers related to gametogenesis in zebrafish suffered from MC-LR. ..
- Cano Nicolau J, Vaillant C, Pellegrini E, Charlier T, Kah O, Coumailleau P. Estrogenic Effects of Several BPA Analogs in the Developing Zebrafish Brain. Front Neurosci. 2016;10:112 pubmed publisher..Importantly, and in contrast to other tested bisphenol A analogs, the bisphenol AP (BPAP) did not show estrogenic activity in our model. ..
- Chen F, Chen S, Liu S, Zhang C, Peng G. Effects of lorazepam and WAY-200070 in larval zebrafish light/dark choice test. Neuropharmacology. 2015;95:226-33 pubmed publisher..These results suggest WAY-200070 activation of ERÎ² mediated signaling may regulate anxiety related behavior in zebrafish through modulation of neuronal activity in habenula. ..
- Ji K, Liu X, Lee S, Kang S, Kho Y, Giesy J, et al. Effects of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs on hormones and genes of the hypothalamic-pituitary-gonad axis, and reproduction of zebrafish. J Hazard Mater. 2013;254-255:242-51 pubmed publisher..The results demonstrated that ibuprofen could modulate hormone production and related gene transcription of the HPG axis in a sex-dependent way, which could cause adverse effects on reproduction and the development of offspring. ..
- Liu C, Yu L, Deng J, Lam P, Wu R, Zhou B. Waterborne exposure to fluorotelomer alcohol 6:2 FTOH alters plasma sex hormone and gene transcription in the hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal (HPG) axis of zebrafish. Aquat Toxicol. 2009;93:131-7 pubmed publisher..The results suggested that FTOHs may disturb fish reproduction through endocrine disrupted activity. ..
- Han X, Lei E, Lam M, Wu R. A whole life cycle assessment on effects of waterborne PBDEs on gene expression profile along the brain-pituitary-gonad axis and in the liver of zebrafish. Mar Pollut Bull. 2011;63:160-5 pubmed publisher..The observed disruption of GnRH and GtHs can be further related to the subsequent disruption in both levels and balance sex steroid hormones. ..
- Robinson Rechavi M, Marchand O, Escriva H, Bardet P, Zelus D, Hughes S, et al. Euteleost fish genomes are characterized by expansion of gene families. Genome Res. 2001;11:781-8 pubmed publisher..Redundancy appears to be the rule in fish developmental genetics. Finally, our results imply that the outcome of genome projects cannot be extrapolated easily between fish species...
- Le Page Y, Menuet A, Kah O, Pakdel F. Characterization of a cis-acting element involved in cell-specific expression of the zebrafish brain aromatase gene. Mol Reprod Dev. 2008;75:1549-57 pubmed publisher..The exceptional aromatase activity measured in the brain of teleost fish could rely on such mechanisms. ..
- Siegenthaler P, Zhao Y, Zhang K, Fent K. Reproductive and transcriptional effects of the antiandrogenic progestin chlormadinone acetate in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Environ Pollut. 2017;223:346-356 pubmed publisher..The observed effects were weaker than those of other very potent progestins, which is probably related to the lack of interaction of CMA with the zebrafish progesterone receptor. ..
- Yang Q, Yang X, Liu J, Ren W, Chen Y, Shen S. Effects of BPF on steroid hormone homeostasis and gene expression in the hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal axis of zebrafish. Environ Sci Pollut Res Int. 2017;24:21311-21322 pubmed publisher..These alterations suggest that BPF leads to adverse effects on the endocrine system of teleost fish, and that these effects were more prominent in males than in females. ..
- Sharma P, Tang S, Mayer G, Patino R. Effects of thyroid endocrine manipulation on sex-related gene expression and population sex ratios in Zebrafish. Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2016;235:38-47 pubmed publisher..for transcript abundance analysis of selected male (dmrt1, amh, ar) and female (cyp19a1a, esr1, esr2a, esr2b) sex-related genes by quantitative RT-PCR, and fold-changes relative to control values were determined...
- Santangeli S, Maradonna F, Zanardini M, Notarstefano V, Gioacchini G, Forner Piquer I, et al. Effects of diisononyl phthalate on Danio rerio reproduction. Environ Pollut. 2017;231:1051-1062 pubmed publisher..The findings provide evidence that exposure to DiNP adversely affect oocytes growth and maturation, leading to abnormal gonadal development and reproduction in zebrafish. ..
- Fergus D, Bass A. Localization and divergent profiles of estrogen receptors and aromatase in the vocal and auditory networks of a fish with alternative mating tactics. J Comp Neurol. 2013;521:2850-69 pubmed publisher..Comparable regional differences in steroid receptor abundances likely regulate morph-specific behaviors in males and females of other species exhibiting alternative reproductive tactics. ..
- Chen Y, Chan K. Regulation of vitellogenin (vtg1) and estrogen receptor (er) gene expression in zebrafish (Danio rerio) following the administration of CdÂ²âº and 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin (TCDD). Chemosphere. 2016;147:467-76 pubmed publisher..Differences in the regulation of the mRNA levels of these genes were also observed between different developmental stages and between the livers of male and female zebrafish. ..
- Meng X, Bartholomew C, Craft J. Differential expression of vitellogenin and oestrogen receptor genes in the liver of zebrafish, Danio rerio. Anal Bioanal Chem. 2010;396:625-30 pubmed publisher..1% of female fish), while ERbeta1 could not be detected. The very low level of expression of ERalpha in males raises questions about the accepted mechanism of oestrogenic induction of VTG in male fish. ..
- Geronikolou S, Pavlopoulou A, Kanaka Gantenbein C, Chrousos G. Inter-species functional interactome of nuclear steroid receptors (R1). Front Biosci (Elite Ed). 2018;10:208-228 pubmed
- Mouriec K, Gueguen M, Manuel C, Percevault F, Thieulant M, Pakdel F, et al. Androgens upregulate cyp19a1b (aromatase B) gene expression in the brain of zebrafish (Danio rerio) through estrogen receptors. Biol Reprod. 2009;80:889-96 pubmed publisher..The blockage of the androgen regulation of cyp19a1b expression using antiestrogens further confirmed the involvement of estrogen receptors in mediating these effects. ..
- Jo A, Ji K, Choi K. Endocrine disruption effects of long-term exposure to perfluorodecanoic acid (PFDA) and perfluorotridecanoic acid (PFTrDA) in zebrafish (Danio rerio) and related mechanisms. Chemosphere. 2014;108:360-6 pubmed publisher..Consequences of endocrine disruptions in reproduction performances of the fish warrant further investigation. ..
- Lassiter C, Kelley B, Linney E. Genomic structure and embryonic expression of estrogen receptor beta a (ERbetaa) in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Gene. 2002;299:141-51 pubmed..In this study, we have isolated a zebrafish estrogen receptor with homology to human estrogen receptor beta (ERbeta)...
- Lee S, Jung D, Kho Y, Ji K, Kim P, Ahn B, et al. Ecotoxicological assessment of cimetidine and determination of its potential for endocrine disruption using three test organisms: Daphnia magna, Moina macrocopa, and Danio rerio. Chemosphere. 2015;135:208-16 pubmed publisher..However potential consequences of endocrine disruption following long-term exposure in aquatic environment deserves further investigation. ..
- Chen W, Lau S, Fan Y, Wu R, Ge W. Juvenile exposure to bisphenol A promotes ovarian differentiation but suppresses its growth - Potential involvement of pituitary follicle-stimulating hormone. Aquat Toxicol. 2017;193:111-121 pubmed publisher..Our data in the zebrafish suggest that sex differentiation involves estrogens and it is a sensitive window for evaluating estrogenic activities of compounds and their impacts on wildlife reproduction...
- Gao S, Wang W, Tian H, Zhang X, Guo L, Ru S. An emerging water contaminant, semicarbazide, exerts an anti-estrogenic effect in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Bull Environ Contam Toxicol. 2014;93:280-8 pubmed publisher..Moreover, semicarbazide exposure significantly inhibited the induction of vtg-1, ER? and ER? mRNA by E2 when male zebrafish were co-exposed for 28 days. ..
- Liu D, Brewer M, Chen S, Hong W, Zhu Y. Transcriptomic signatures for ovulation in vertebrates. Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2017;247:74-86 pubmed publisher..Further studies are required to establish relationships among these genes and an ovulatory circuit in the zebrafish model. ..
- Kinch C, Kurrasch D, Habibi H. Adverse morphological development in embryonic zebrafish exposed to environmental concentrations of contaminants individually and in mixture. Aquat Toxicol. 2016;175:286-98 pubmed publisher..The findings provide a framework for better understanding of developmental toxicity of environmental contaminants in zebrafish and other vertebrate species. ..
- Wang J, Cao X, Huang Y, Tang X. Developmental toxicity and endocrine disruption of naphthenic acids on the early life stage of zebrafish (Danio rerio). J Appl Toxicol. 2015;35:1493-501 pubmed publisher..These results confirmed that NAs derived from crude petroleum could negatively impact the development and endocrine function of zebrafish, and be primarily responsible for the toxicity of OSPW. ..
- Pinto C, Grimaldi M, Boulahtouf A, Pakdel F, Brion F, Aït Aïssa S, et al. Selectivity of natural, synthetic and environmental estrogens for zebrafish estrogen receptors. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2014;280:60-9 pubmed publisher..Finally, our work also points out that care has to be taken in transposing the results obtained using the zebrafish as a model for human physiopathology. ..
- Krasowski M, Yasuda K, Hagey L, Schuetz E. Evolutionary selection across the nuclear hormone receptor superfamily with a focus on the NR1I subfamily (vitamin D, pregnane X, and constitutive androstane receptors). Nucl Recept. 2005;3:2 pubmed..NR genes generally show strong sequence conservation and little evidence for positive selection. The main exceptions are PXR and CAR, genes that may have adapted to cross-species differences in toxic compound exposure. ..
- Zhang K, Zhao Y, Fent K. Occurrence and Ecotoxicological Effects of Free, Conjugated, and Halogenated Steroids Including 17?-Hydroxypregnanolone and Pregnanediol in Swiss Wastewater and Surface Water. Environ Sci Technol. 2017;51:6498-6506 pubmed publisher..Although steroid concentrations are low in Swiss rivers, the possibility of additive effects may be of concern. ..
- Guo D, Wang Y, Qian Y, Chen C, Jiao B, Cai L, et al. Joint acute and endocrine disruptive toxicities of malathion, cypermethrin and prochloraz to embryo-larval zebrafish, Danio rerio. Chemosphere. 2017;166:63-71 pubmed publisher..Our data provided a better understanding of bidirectional interactions of toxic response induced by these pesticides. ..
- Cano Nicolau J, Garoche C, Hinfray N, Pellegrini E, Boujrad N, Pakdel F, et al. Several synthetic progestins disrupt the glial cell specific-brain aromatase expression in developing zebra fish. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2016;305:12-21 pubmed publisher..Given the crucial role of radial glial cells and neuro-estrogens in early development of brain, the consequences of exposure of fish to these compounds require further investigation. ..