Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: esr2a
Description: estrogen receptor 2a
Alias: ER[b]2, ER[b]a, zfER-beta2, zfER[b]2, estrogen receptor 2a, ERbeta-B, NR3A2-B, estrogen receptor beta a variant a, estrogen receptor beta a variant b, estrogen receptor beta2
- Mouriec K, Lareyre J, Tong S, Le Page Y, Vaillant C, Pellegrini E, et al. Early regulation of brain aromatase (cyp19a1b) by estrogen receptors during zebrafish development. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:2641-51 pubmed publisher..reverse transcriptase-polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), a significant increase in the expression of esr1, esr2a, and esr2b was observed between 24 and 48 hours postfertilization (hpf)...
- Sassi Messai S, Gibert Y, Bernard L, Nishio S, Ferri Lagneau K, Molina J, et al. The phytoestrogen genistein affects zebrafish development through two different pathways. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e4935 pubmed publisher..This suggests that the use of standardized endpoints to study the effect of a given compound, even when this compound has well known targets, may carry the risk of overlooking interesting effects of this compound. ..
- Bardet P, Horard B, Robinson Rechavi M, Laudet V, Vanacker J. Characterization of oestrogen receptors in zebrafish (Danio rerio). J Mol Endocrinol. 2002;28:153-63 pubmed..After 48 h after fertilization, all ERs, but predominantly ER alpha, began to be expressed. We conclude that oestrogen signal transduction can operate during zebrafish development only within discrete time windows. ..
- Notch E, Mayer G. Efficacy of pharmacological estrogen receptor antagonists in blocking activation of zebrafish estrogen receptors. Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2011;173:183-9 pubmed publisher..Full length cDNA of zebrafish estrogen receptor 1 (esr1), estrogen receptor 2a (esr2a) and estrogen receptor 2b (esr2b) were cloned into expression vectors and transfected into cells ..
- Menuet A, Pellegrini E, Anglade I, Blaise O, Laudet V, Kah O, et al. Molecular characterization of three estrogen receptor forms in zebrafish: binding characteristics, transactivation properties, and tissue distributions. Biol Reprod. 2002;66:1881-92 pubmed..The characterization of these zfERs provides a new perspective for understanding the mechanisms underlying estradiol actions in a vertebrate species commonly used for developmental studies. ..
- Costache A, Pullela P, Kasha P, Tomasiewicz H, Sem D. Homology-modeled ligand-binding domains of zebrafish estrogen receptors alpha, beta1, and beta2: from in silico to in vivo studies of estrogen interactions in Danio rerio as a model system. Mol Endocrinol. 2005;19:2979-90 pubmed..These data provide a foundation for future in silico and in vivo binding studies of estrogen agonists and antagonists with zebrafish ERs. ..
- Laing L, Viana J, Dempster E, Trznadel M, Trunkfield L, Uren Webster T, et al. Bisphenol A causes reproductive toxicity, decreases dnmt1 transcription, and reduces global DNA methylation in breeding zebrafish (Danio rerio). Epigenetics. 2016;11:526-38 pubmed publisher..These findings provide evidence of the mechanisms of action of BPA in a model vertebrate and advocate for its reduction in the environment. ..
- Brown A, Gunnarsson L, Kristiansson E, Tyler C. Assessing variation in the potential susceptibility of fish to pharmaceuticals, considering evolutionary differences in their physiology and ecology. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2014;369: pubmed publisher..This justifies the conventional use of at least a 10Ã— assessment factor in pharmaceutical risk assessment, to account for differences in species susceptibility. ..
- Gorelick D, Iwanowicz L, Hung A, Blazer V, Halpern M. Transgenic zebrafish reveal tissue-specific differences in estrogen signaling in response to environmental water samples. Environ Health Perspect. 2014;122:356-62 pubmed publisher..Exposure to estrogenic EEDs in utero was associated with adverse health effects, with the potentially unanticipated consequence of targeting developing heart valves. ..
- Shi J, Jiao Z, Zheng S, Li M, Zhang J, Feng Y, et al. Long-term effects of bisphenol AF (BPAF) on hormonal balance and genes of hypothalamus-pituitary-gonad axis and liver of zebrafish (Danio rerio), and the impact on offspring. Chemosphere. 2015;128:252-7 pubmed publisher..A potential consequence of adverse effects in the offspring by BPAF deserves further investigation. ..
- Chandrasekar G, Archer A, Gustafsson J, Andersson Lendahl M. Levels of 17beta-estradiol receptors expressed in embryonic and adult zebrafish following in vivo treatment of natural or synthetic ligands. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e9678 pubmed publisher..In zebrafish there are three gene products of estrogen receptors and they are denoted esr1 (ERalpha), esr2a (ERbeta2) and esr2b (ERbeta1)...
- Maradonna F, Evangelisti M, Gioacchini G, Migliarini B, Olivotto I, Carnevali O. Assay of vtg, ERs and PPARs as endpoint for the rapid in vitro screening of the harmful effect of Di-(2-ethylhexyl)-phthalate (DEHP) and phthalic acid (PA) in zebrafish primary hepatocyte cultures. Toxicol In Vitro. 2013;27:84-91 pubmed publisher..Noteworthy the gender specific modulation observed for ERs opens a debate on the estrogenic mechanism of action of DEHP and PA and their role on vtg induction. ..
- Hu J, Sun S, Guo M, Song H. Use of antagonists and morpholinos in loss-of-function analyses: estrogen receptor ESR2a mediates the effects of 17alpha-ethinylestradiol on primordial germ cell distribution in zebrafish. Reprod Biol Endocrinol. 2014;12:40 pubmed publisher..Loss-of-function analyses were performed for estrogen receptor ESR1, ESR2a, and ESR2b, and only loss of ESR2a resulted in a decreased number of ectopic PGCs following exposure to 1 mirog/L ..
- Gibert Y, Sassi Messai S, Fini J, Bernard L, Zalko D, Cravedi J, et al. Bisphenol A induces otolith malformations during vertebrate embryogenesis. BMC Dev Biol. 2011;11:4 pubmed publisher..The data suggest that the spectrum of BPA action is wider than previously expected and argue for a systematic survey of the developmental effects of this endocrine disruptor. ..
- Chouchene L, Pellegrini E, Gueguen M, Hinfray N, Brion F, Piccini B, et al. Inhibitory effect of cadmium on estrogen signaling in zebrafish brain and protection by zinc. J Appl Toxicol. 2016;36:863-71 pubmed publisher..These inhibitory effects were accompanied by a significant downregulation of the expression of esr1, esr2a, esr2b and cyp19a1b genes compared to the E2 -treated group used as a positive control...
- Liu K, Lau S, Ge W. Spatiotemporal expression analysis of nuclear estrogen receptors in the zebrafish ovary and their regulation in vitro by endocrine hormones and paracrine factors. Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2017;246:218-225 pubmed publisher..the spatiotemporal expression profiles of three nER subtypes in the zebrafish ovary, including esr1 (ER?), esr2a (ER?2) and esr2b (ER?1)...
- Zhang Q, Zhang Y, Du J, Zhao M. Environmentally relevant levels of ?-cyhalothrin, fenvalerate, and permethrin cause developmental toxicity and disrupt endocrine system in zebrafish (Danio rerio) embryo. Chemosphere. 2017;185:1173-1180 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that these 3 SPs may cause developmental toxicity to zebrafish larvae by disrupting endocrine signaling at environmentally relevant concentrations. ..
- Santangeli S, Maradonna F, Gioacchini G, Cobellis G, Piccinetti C, Dalla Valle L, et al. BPA-Induced Deregulation Of Epigenetic Patterns: Effects On Female Zebrafish Reproduction. Sci Rep. 2016;6:21982 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that the negative effects of BPA on the female reproductive system may be due to its upstream ability to deregulate epigenetic mechanism. ..
- de Waal P, Leal M, García López A, Liarte S, De Jonge H, Hinfray N, et al. Oestrogen-induced androgen insufficiency results in a reduction of proliferation and differentiation of spermatogonia in the zebrafish testis. J Endocrinol. 2009;202:287-97 pubmed publisher..This experimental set-up helped to identify spermatogonial proliferation and their differentiation as androgen targets in adult zebrafish spermatogenesis. ..
- Lu H, Cui Y, Jiang L, Ge W. Functional Analysis of Nuclear Estrogen Receptors in Zebrafish Reproduction by Genome Editing Approach. Endocrinology. 2017;158:2292-2308 pubmed publisher..To address this issue, we undertook this study to disrupt all three nERs in the zebrafish, namely esr1 (ER?), esr2a (ER?II), and esr2b (ER?I), by the genome-editing technology clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic ..
- van der Ven K, Keil D, Moens L, Van Leemput K, van Remortel P, De Coen W. Neuropharmaceuticals in the environment: mianserin-induced neuroendocrine disruption in zebrafish (Danio rerio) using cDNA microarrays. Environ Toxicol Chem. 2006;25:2645-52 pubmed..Based on the specific molecular impact and the effects on reproduction, we conclude that further investigation of the adverse effects on the brain-liver-gonad axis is needed for a correct ecological risk assessment of antidepressants. ..
- Vignet C, Larcher T, Davail B, Joassard L, Le Menach K, Guionnet T, et al. Fish Reproduction Is Disrupted upon Lifelong Exposure to Environmental PAHs Fractions Revealing Different Modes of Action. Toxics. 2016;4: pubmed publisher..Taken altogether, these results indicate that PAHs can indeed disrupt fish reproduction and that different fractions trigger different pathways resulting in different effects. ..
- Santos D, Matos M, Coimbra A. Developmental toxicity of endocrine disruptors in early life stages of zebrafish, a genetic and embryogenesis study. Neurotoxicol Teratol. 2014;46:18-25 pubmed publisher..In parallel, the expression patterns of hormone receptors (esr1, esr2a, esr2b and ar) and apoptotic pathways related genes (p53 and c-jun) were determined using quantitative real-time ..
- Schiller V, Wichmann A, Kriehuber R, Schäfers C, Fischer R, Fenske M. Transcriptome alterations in zebrafish embryos after exposure to environmental estrogens and anti-androgens can reveal endocrine disruption. Reprod Toxicol. 2013;42:210-23 pubmed publisher..This demonstrates that different mechanism of ED can be assessed already in fish embryos. ..
- Chen W, Lau S, Fan Y, Wu R, Ge W. Juvenile exposure to bisphenol A promotes ovarian differentiation but suppresses its growth - Potential involvement of pituitary follicle-stimulating hormone. Aquat Toxicol. 2017;193:111-121 pubmed publisher..Our data in the zebrafish suggest that sex differentiation involves estrogens and it is a sensitive window for evaluating estrogenic activities of compounds and their impacts on wildlife reproduction...
- Tingaud Sequeira A, Knoll Gellida A, André M, Babin P. Vitellogenin expression in white adipose tissue in female teleost fish. Biol Reprod. 2012;86:38 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that WAT Vtg is implicated in providing components to the ovary during the early stages of vitellogenesis. ..
- Heiden T, Struble C, Rise M, Hessner M, Hutz R, Carvan M. Molecular targets of 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin (TCDD) within the zebrafish ovary: insights into TCDD-induced endocrine disruption and reproductive toxicity. Reprod Toxicol. 2008;25:47-57 pubmed..Data presented here provide further insight into the mechanisms by which TCDD disrupts follicular development and reproduction in fish, and can be used to formulate new hypotheses regarding previously documented ovarian toxicity. ..
- Le Page Y, Menuet A, Kah O, Pakdel F. Characterization of a cis-acting element involved in cell-specific expression of the zebrafish brain aromatase gene. Mol Reprod Dev. 2008;75:1549-57 pubmed publisher..The exceptional aromatase activity measured in the brain of teleost fish could rely on such mechanisms. ..
- Mouriec K, Gueguen M, Manuel C, Percevault F, Thieulant M, Pakdel F, et al. Androgens upregulate cyp19a1b (aromatase B) gene expression in the brain of zebrafish (Danio rerio) through estrogen receptors. Biol Reprod. 2009;80:889-96 pubmed publisher..The blockage of the androgen regulation of cyp19a1b expression using antiestrogens further confirmed the involvement of estrogen receptors in mediating these effects. ..
- McGonnell I, Fowkes R. Fishing for gene function--endocrine modelling in the zebrafish. J Endocrinol. 2006;189:425-39 pubmed..We anticipate that the use of these techniques will make the zebrafish a prominent model in endocrine research in the coming years. ..
- Tingaud Sequeira A, Forgue J, André M, Babin P. Epidermal transient down-regulation of retinol-binding protein 4 and mirror expression of apolipoprotein Eb and estrogen receptor 2a during zebrafish fin and scale development. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:3071-9 pubmed..In contrast, induction of apolipoprotein Eb (apoeb) and up-regulation of estrogen receptor 2a (esr2a) transcripts were observed in the epidermis at initiator sites of zebrafish ectodermal/dermal ..
- Santangeli S, Maradonna F, Zanardini M, Notarstefano V, Gioacchini G, Forner Piquer I, et al. Effects of diisononyl phthalate on Danio rerio reproduction. Environ Pollut. 2017;231:1051-1062 pubmed publisher..The findings provide evidence that exposure to DiNP adversely affect oocytes growth and maturation, leading to abnormal gonadal development and reproduction in zebrafish. ..
- Sharma P, Tang S, Mayer G, Patino R. Effects of thyroid endocrine manipulation on sex-related gene expression and population sex ratios in Zebrafish. Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2016;235:38-47 pubmed publisher..differentiation for transcript abundance analysis of selected male (dmrt1, amh, ar) and female (cyp19a1a, esr1, esr2a, esr2b) sex-related genes by quantitative RT-PCR, and fold-changes relative to control values were determined...
- Cano Nicolau J, Vaillant C, Pellegrini E, Charlier T, Kah O, Coumailleau P. Estrogenic Effects of Several BPA Analogs in the Developing Zebrafish Brain. Front Neurosci. 2016;10:112 pubmed publisher..Importantly, and in contrast to other tested bisphenol A analogs, the bisphenol AP (BPAP) did not show estrogenic activity in our model. ..
- LÃ³pez MuÃ±oz A, Liarte S, GÃ³mez GonzÃ¡lez N, Cabas I, Meseguer J, GarcÃa Ayala A, et al. Estrogen receptor 2b deficiency impairs the antiviral response of zebrafish. Dev Comp Immunol. 2015;53:55-62 pubmed publisher..All together, these results uncover an important role for E2 and Esr signaling in the fine-tuning of sexual hormone balance and the antiviral response of vertebrates. ..
- Griffin L, January K, Ho K, Cotter K, Callard G. Morpholino-mediated knockdown of ER?, ER?a, and ER?b mRNAs in zebrafish (Danio rerio) embryos reveals differential regulation of estrogen-inducible genes. Endocrinology. 2013;154:4158-69 pubmed publisher..and increased production of variants with a retained intron III (esr1 MO) or a deleted or mis-spliced exon III (esr2a and esr2b MOs)...
- Dang Y, Wang J, Giesy J, Liu C. Responses of the zebrafish hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal-liver axis PCR array to prochloraz are dependent on timing of sampling. Aquat Toxicol. 2016;175:154-9 pubmed publisher..Correlations among parameters in samples collected at the two times indicated the effects might be due to different concentrations of E2 in plasma due to exposure to PCZ. ..
- Kinch C, Kurrasch D, Habibi H. Adverse morphological development in embryonic zebrafish exposed to environmental concentrations of contaminants individually and in mixture. Aquat Toxicol. 2016;175:286-98 pubmed publisher..The findings provide a framework for better understanding of developmental toxicity of environmental contaminants in zebrafish and other vertebrate species. ..
- Cano Nicolau J, Garoche C, Hinfray N, Pellegrini E, Boujrad N, Pakdel F, et al. Several synthetic progestins disrupt the glial cell specific-brain aromatase expression in developing zebra fish. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2016;305:12-21 pubmed publisher..Given the crucial role of radial glial cells and neuro-estrogens in early development of brain, the consequences of exposure of fish to these compounds require further investigation. ..
- Guo D, Wang Y, Qian Y, Chen C, Jiao B, Cai L, et al. Joint acute and endocrine disruptive toxicities of malathion, cypermethrin and prochloraz to embryo-larval zebrafish, Danio rerio. Chemosphere. 2017;166:63-71 pubmed publisher..Our data provided a better understanding of bidirectional interactions of toxic response induced by these pesticides. ..
- Chen Y, Chan K. Regulation of vitellogenin (vtg1) and estrogen receptor (er) gene expression in zebrafish (Danio rerio) following the administration of CdÂ²âº and 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin (TCDD). Chemosphere. 2016;147:467-76 pubmed publisher..Differences in the regulation of the mRNA levels of these genes were also observed between different developmental stages and between the livers of male and female zebrafish. ..
- Zhao F, Wei P, Wang J, Yu M, Zhang X, Tian H, et al. Estrogenic effects associated with bisphenol a exposure in male zebrafish (Danio rerio) is associated with changes of endogenous 17?-estradiol and gene specific DNA methylation levels. Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2017;252:27-35 pubmed publisher..These observations provide evidence for the non-ERs mediated mechanisms underlying the estrogenic action of BPA on male zebrafish. ..
- Wang J, Cao X, Huang Y, Tang X. Developmental toxicity and endocrine disruption of naphthenic acids on the early life stage of zebrafish (Danio rerio). J Appl Toxicol. 2015;35:1493-501 pubmed publisher..These results confirmed that NAs derived from crude petroleum could negatively impact the development and endocrine function of zebrafish, and be primarily responsible for the toxicity of OSPW. ..
- Pinto C, Grimaldi M, Boulahtouf A, Pakdel F, Brion F, Aït Aïssa S, et al. Selectivity of natural, synthetic and environmental estrogens for zebrafish estrogen receptors. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2014;280:60-9 pubmed publisher..Finally, our work also points out that care has to be taken in transposing the results obtained using the zebrafish as a model for human physiopathology. ..
- Meng X, Bartholomew C, Craft J. Differential expression of vitellogenin and oestrogen receptor genes in the liver of zebrafish, Danio rerio. Anal Bioanal Chem. 2010;396:625-30 pubmed publisher..1% of female fish), while ERbeta1 could not be detected. The very low level of expression of ERalpha in males raises questions about the accepted mechanism of oestrogenic induction of VTG in male fish. ..
- Celeghin A, Benato F, Pikulkaew S, Rabbane M, Colombo L, Dalla Valle L. The knockdown of the maternal estrogen receptor 2a (esr2a) mRNA affects embryo transcript contents and larval development in zebrafish. Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2011;172:120-9 pubmed publisherIn zebrafish, ovulated oocytes are loaded with maternal estrogen receptor 2a (esr2a) mRNA which is spread as granular and filamentous structures throughout the central ooplasm and is promptly relocated inside the blastodisc area at the 1-..
- Geronikolou S, Pavlopoulou A, Kanaka Gantenbein C, Chrousos G. Inter-species functional interactome of nuclear steroid receptors (R1). Front Biosci (Elite Ed). 2018;10:208-228 pubmed