Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: en2b
Description: engrailed homeobox 2b
Alias: ENG-3, ZF-EN-1, en3, eng2b, eng3, homeobox protein engrailed-2b, engrailed 2b, engrailed 3, homeobox protein en-2b
- Scholpp S, Lohs C, Brand M. Engrailed and Fgf8 act synergistically to maintain the boundary between diencephalon and mesencephalon. Development. 2003;130:4881-93 pubmed..1, a key regulator of forebrain development, is posteriorly suppressed by the Engrailed proteins, Eng2 and Eng3. Mis-expression of eng3 in the forebrain primordium causes downregulation of pax6...
- Amores A, Force A, Yan Y, Joly L, Amemiya C, Fritz A, et al. Zebrafish hox clusters and vertebrate genome evolution. Science. 1998;282:1711-4 pubmed..Thus, teleosts, the most species-rich group of vertebrates, appear to have more copies of these developmental regulatory genes than do mammals, despite less complexity in the anterior-posterior axis. ..
- Van Hellemont R, Blomme T, Van de Peer Y, Marchal K. Divergence of regulatory sequences in duplicated fish genes. Genome Dyn. 2007;3:81-100 pubmed publisher..In this study we used in silico motif detection to show how alterations in the composition of regulatory motifs between paralogous genes in zebrafish and Tetraodon might reflect the functional divergence of duplicates. ..
- Fong H, Ho J, Cheung A, Lai K, Tse W. Developmental toxicity of the common UV filter, benophenone-2, in zebrafish embryos. Chemosphere. 2016;164:413-420 pubmed publisher..To conclude, the study alarmed its potential developmental toxicities at high dosage exposure. ..
- Song M, Brown N, Kuwada J. The cfy mutation disrupts cell divisions in a stage-dependent manner in zebrafish embryos. Dev Biol. 2004;276:194-206 pubmed..These results suggest that the cfy gene regulates mitosis perhaps in a stage-dependent manner in vertebrate embryos. ..
- French C, Erickson T, Callander D, Berry K, Koss R, Hagey D, et al. Pbx homeodomain proteins pattern both the zebrafish retina and tectum. BMC Dev Biol. 2007;7:85 pubmed..These data define a novel role for Pbx in patterning the vertebrate retina and tectum in a manner required for proper retinal ganglion cell axon outgrowth. ..
- Hernandez R, Putzke A, Myers J, Margaretha L, Moens C. Cyp26 enzymes generate the retinoic acid response pattern necessary for hindbrain development. Development. 2007;134:177-87 pubmed..We present a ;gradient-free' model for hindbrain patterning in which differential RA responsiveness along the hindbrain anterior-posterior axis is shaped primarily by the dynamic expression of RA-degrading enzymes. ..
- Zhong Y, Duan C. Lamprey IGF-Binding Protein-3 Has IGF-Dependent and -Independent Actions. Front Endocrinol (Lausanne). 2016;7:174 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that lamprey IGFBP-3 has both IGF-dependent and -independent actions and provide new insights into the functional evolution of the IGFBP family. ..
- Holland P, Williams N. Conservation of engrailed-like homeobox sequences during vertebrate evolution. FEBS Lett. 1990;277:250-2 pubmed
- Kelsh R, Eisen J. The zebrafish colourless gene regulates development of non-ectomesenchymal neural crest derivatives. Development. 2000;127:515-25 pubmed..The combination of pigmentation and enteric nervous system defects makes colourless mutations a model for two human neurocristopathies, Waardenburg-Shah syndrome and Hirschsprung's disease. ..
- Shima T, Znosko W, Tsang M. The characterization of a zebrafish mid-hindbrain mutant, mid-hindbrain gone (mgo). Dev Dyn. 2009;238:899-907 pubmed publisher..Based on these findings, we propose that the mgo mutation genetically interacts with pax2a required for the initiation of MHB formation. ..
- Tallafuss A, Adolf B, Bally Cuif L. Selective control of neuronal cluster size at the forebrain/midbrain boundary by signaling from the prechordal plate. Dev Dyn. 2003;227:524-35 pubmed..Together, our results suggest that a combination of patterning-related and -unrelated mechanisms specifically controls the size of individual early neuronal clusters within the anterior neural plate. ..
- Tse W, You M, Ho S, Jiang Y. The deubiquitylating enzyme Cops6 regulates different developmental processes during early zebrafish embryogenesis. Int J Dev Biol. 2011;55:19-24 pubmed publisher..Overall, the present study that consolidates our previous work on zebrafish DUB genes, corroborates the hypothesis of multi-functional roles for DUB genes during development. ..
- Yu H, Moens C. Semaphorin signaling guides cranial neural crest cell migration in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2005;280:373-85 pubmed
- Molina G, Vogt A, Bakan A, Dai W, Queiroz de Oliveira P, Znosko W, et al. Zebrafish chemical screening reveals an inhibitor of Dusp6 that expands cardiac cell lineages. Nat Chem Biol. 2009;5:680-7 pubmed publisher..This study highlights the power of in vivo zebrafish chemical screens to identify new compounds targeting Dusp6, a component of the FGF signaling pathway that has eluded traditional high-throughput in vitro screens...
- Gutzman J, Graeden E, Lowery L, Holley H, Sive H. Formation of the zebrafish midbrain-hindbrain boundary constriction requires laminin-dependent basal constriction. Mech Dev. 2008;125:974-83 pubmed publisher..This study demonstrates laminin-dependent basal constriction as a previously undescribed molecular mechanism for brain morphogenesis. ..
- O Hara F, Beck E, Barr L, Wong L, Kessler D, Riddle R. Zebrafish Lmx1b.1 and Lmx1b.2 are required for maintenance of the isthmic organizer. Development. 2005;132:3163-73 pubmed..We propose that Lmx1b.1- and Lmx1b.2-mediated regulation of wnt1, wnt3a, wnt10b, pax8 and fgf8 maintains cell survival in the isthmocerebellar region. ..
- Hans S, Liu D, Westerfield M. Pax8 and Pax2a function synergistically in otic specification, downstream of the Foxi1 and Dlx3b transcription factors. Development. 2004;131:5091-102 pubmed..Combined loss of both factors eliminates all indications of otic specification. We suggest that the Foxi1-Pax8 pathway provides an early 'jumpstart' of otic specification that is maintained by the Dlx3b-Pax2a pathway. ..
- Fürthauer M, Thisse C, Thisse B. A role for FGF-8 in the dorsoventral patterning of the zebrafish gastrula. Development. 1997;124:4253-64 pubmed..We conclude that FGF-8 is involved in defining dorsoventral identity and is an important organizing factor responsible for specification of mesodermal and ectodermal dorsolateral territories of the zebrafish gastrula. ..
- Albuixech Crespo B, López Blanch L, Burguera D, Maeso I, Sánchez Arrones L, Moreno Bravo J, et al. Molecular regionalization of the developing amphioxus neural tube challenges major partitions of the vertebrate brain. PLoS Biol. 2017;15:e2001573 pubmed publisher..This suggests that these domains have a common developmental and evolutionary origin, as supported by functional experiments manipulating secondary organizers in zebrafish and mice. ..
- Ekker M, Speevak M, Martin C, Joly L, Giroux G, Chevrette M. Stable transfer of zebrafish chromosome segments into mouse cells. Genomics. 1996;33:57-64 pubmed..Zebrafish/mouse cell hybrids will provide a useful tool for the physical mapping of the zebrafish genome and for the cloning of genes affected in zebrafish mutants. ..
- Hoyle J, Tang Y, Wiellette E, Wardle F, Sive H. nlz gene family is required for hindbrain patterning in the zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2004;229:835-46 pubmed..These data indicate that one function of the nlz gene family is to specify or maintain r4 identity, and to limit r3 and r5 during hindbrain formation. ..
- Tallafuss A, Wilm T, Crozatier M, Pfeffer P, Wassef M, Bally Cuif L. The zebrafish buttonhead-like factor Bts1 is an early regulator of pax2.1 expression during mid-hindbrain development. Development. 2001;128:4021-34 pubmed..In addition, they imply that flies and vertebrates, to control the development of a boundary embryonic region, have probably co-opted a similar strategy: the restriction to this territory of the expression of a Btd/Sp-like factor. ..
- Ho J, Hsiao C, Kawakami K, Tse W. Triclosan (TCS) exposure impairs lipid metabolism in zebrafish embryos. Aquat Toxicol. 2016;173:29-35 pubmed publisher..This study showed that 250Î¼g/L TCS exposure does not affect normal embryogenesis or organogenesis; however, there are concerns regarding possible impairment of lipid metabolism. ..
- Zhang C, Boa Amponsem O, Cole G. Comparison of molecular marker expression in early zebrafish brain development following chronic ethanol or morpholino treatment. Exp Brain Res. 2017;235:2413-2423 pubmed publisher..In situ hybridization was employed to analyze otx2, pax6a, epha4a, krx20, pax2a, fgf8a, wnt1, and eng2b expression during early brain development...
- Paragas V, Zhang Y, Haugland R, Singer V. The ELF-97 alkaline phosphatase substrate provides a bright, photostable, fluorescent signal amplification method for FISH. J Histochem Cytochem. 1997;45:345-57 pubmed..Finally, Southern blot hybridization using singly labeled oligonucleotide probes yielded a sensitivity similar to that obtained with radioactivity. ..
- Li Y, Xiang J, Duan C. Insulin-like growth factor-binding protein-3 plays an important role in regulating pharyngeal skeleton and inner ear formation and differentiation. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:3613-20 pubmed..These findings suggest that IGFBP-3 plays an important role in regulating pharyngeal cartilage and inner ear development and growth in zebrafish. ..
- Varga Z, Wegner J, Westerfield M. Anterior movement of ventral diencephalic precursors separates the primordial eye field in the neural plate and requires cyclops. Development. 1999;126:5533-46 pubmed..Our results indicate that movement of a median subpopulation of diencephalic precursors separates retinal precursors into left and right eyes. Wild-type cyclops gene function is required for these morphogenetic movements. ..
- Su C, Kemp H, Moens C. Cerebellar development in the absence of Gbx function in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2014;386:181-90 pubmed publisher..Based on our findings we propose a revised model for the role of Gbx in cerebellar development. ..
- Rampon C, Gauron C, Lin T, Meda F, Dupont E, Cosson A, et al. Control of brain patterning by Engrailed paracrine transfer: a new function of the Pbx interaction domain. Development. 2015;142:1840-9 pubmed publisher..Both zebrafish Eng2a and Eng2b are competent for intercellular transfer in vivo, but only extracellular endogenous Eng2b, and not Eng2a, ..
- Scholpp S, Brand M. Morpholino-induced knockdown of zebrafish engrailed genes eng2 and eng3 reveals redundant and unique functions in midbrain--hindbrain boundary development. Genesis. 2001;30:129-33 pubmed
- Knight R, Mebus K, Roehl H. Mandibular arch muscle identity is regulated by a conserved molecular process during vertebrate development. J Exp Zool B Mol Dev Evol. 2008;310:355-69 pubmed publisher..These data imply that dorsal mandibular arch muscle identity in fish, chick and mouse is specified by a highly conserved molecular process despite differing functions of these muscles in different lineages. ..
- Nolte C, Rastegar M, Amores A, Bouchard M, Grote D, Maas R, et al. Stereospecificity and PAX6 function direct Hoxd4 neural enhancer activity along the antero-posterior axis. Dev Biol. 2006;299:582-93 pubmed..These results reveal an evolutionarily conserved role for Pax6 in AP-restricted expression of vertebrate Hoxd4 orthologs. ..
- Hatta K, BreMiller R, Westerfield M, Kimmel C. Diversity of expression of engrailed-like antigens in zebrafish. Development. 1991;112:821-32 pubmed..Specific expression patterns are observed in taste buds, otic vesicles and teeth. Thus we propose that eng genes function in diverse cell types in zebrafish, but play selector roles that can be classified into a few basic types. ..