Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: emx3
Description: empty spiracles homeobox 3
Alias: emx1, zgc:110517, empty spiracles homeobox 3, empty spiracles homeobox 1
- Kawahara A, Dawid I. Developmental expression of zebrafish emx1 during early embryogenesis. Gene Expr Patterns. 2002;2:201-6 pubmed..similar to the mouse Emx1 gene than the previously reported zebrafish emx1 gene; we propose to rename that gene emx3. The expression of emx1 is first detected around the 10-somite stage in the pineal gland (epiphysis) primodium in ..
- Paridaen J, Danesin C, Elas A, van de Water S, Houart C, Zivkovic D. Apc1 is required for maintenance of local brain organizers and dorsal midbrain survival. Dev Biol. 2009;331:101-12 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate that Apc1-mediated restriction of Wnt/beta-catenin signalling is required for maintenance of local organizers and tectal integrity. ..
- Trinh L, Meyer D, Stainier D. The Mix family homeodomain gene bonnie and clyde functions with other components of the Nodal signaling pathway to regulate neural patterning in zebrafish. Development. 2003;130:4989-98 pubmed
- Danesin C, Peres J, Johansson M, Snowden V, Cording A, Papalopulu N, et al. Integration of telencephalic Wnt and hedgehog signaling center activities by Foxg1. Dev Cell. 2009;16:576-87 pubmed publisher..Altogether, these findings identify a key direct target of Foxg1, and uncover a simple molecular mechanism by which Foxg1 integrates two opposing signaling centers. ..
- Sirotkin H, Dougan S, Schier A, Talbot W. bozozok and squint act in parallel to specify dorsal mesoderm and anterior neuroectoderm in zebrafish. Development. 2000;127:2583-92 pubmed..Our results support a model in which boz and sqt act in parallel to induce dorsalizing BMP-antagonists and to counteract the repressive function of cyc in neural patterning. ..
- Feldman B, Dougan S, Schier A, Talbot W. Nodal-related signals establish mesendodermal fate and trunk neural identity in zebrafish. Curr Biol. 2000;10:531-4 pubmed..These results demonstrate that nodal-related genes are required for the allocation of dorsal marginal cells to mesendodermal fates and for anteroposterior patterning of the neural tube. ..
- Inbal A, Kim S, Shin J, Solnica Krezel L. Six3 represses nodal activity to establish early brain asymmetry in zebrafish. Neuron. 2007;55:407-15 pubmed..Our data reveal a Six3-dependent mechanism for establishment of correct brain laterality and provide an entry point to understanding the genetic regulation of Nodal signaling in the brain. ..
- Plouhinec J, Granier C, Le Mentec C, Lawson K, Sabéran Djoneidi D, Aghion J, et al. Identification of the mammalian Not gene via a phylogenomic approach. Gene Expr Patterns. 2004;5:11-22 pubmed..The phylogenomic method used to retrieve this gene thus provides a tool, which can complement or validate genome annotations in situations when they are weakly supported. ..
- Feng J, White B, Tyurina O, Guner B, Larson T, Lee H, et al. Synergistic and antagonistic roles of the Sonic hedgehog N- and C-terminal lipids. Development. 2004;131:4357-70 pubmed
- Houart C, Caneparo L, Heisenberg C, Barth K, Take uchi M, Wilson S. Establishment of the telencephalon during gastrulation by local antagonism of Wnt signaling. Neuron. 2002;35:255-65 pubmed..From these studies, we propose that local antagonism of Wnt activity within the anterior ectoderm is required to establish the telencephalon. ..
- Kjaer Sorensen K, Engholm D, Kamei H, Morch M, Kristensen A, Zhou J, et al. Pregnancy-associated plasma protein A (PAPP-A) modulates the early developmental rate in zebrafish independently of its proteolytic activity. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:9982-92 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Papp-a possesses biological functions independent of its proteolytic activity. Our data represent the first evidence for a non-proteolytic function of PAPP-A. ..
- Xu S, Xia W, Zohar Y, Gui J. Zebrafish dmrta2 regulates the expression of cdkn2c in spermatogenesis in the adult testis. Biol Reprod. 2013;88:14 pubmed publisher..changes of two telencephalic marker genes, fibroblast growth factor 8a (fgf8a), and empty spiracles homolog 1 (emx1)...
- Varga M, Maegawa S, Weinberg E. Correct anteroposterior patterning of the zebrafish neurectoderm in the absence of the early dorsal organizer. BMC Dev Biol. 2011;11:26 pubmed publisher..We also show that the zebrafish embryo can form a radial diffuse neural sheath in the absence of both BMP signaling and the early organizer. ..
- Hauptmann G, Söll I, Gerster T. The early embryonic zebrafish forebrain is subdivided into molecularly distinct transverse and longitudinal domains. Brain Res Bull. 2002;57:371-5 pubmed..Furthermore, we identified a series of eight transverse diencephalic domains which may indicate a prosomeric organization of the rostral zebrafish brain. ..
- Rodriguez Viales R, Diotel N, Ferg M, Armant O, Eich J, Alunni A, et al. The helix-loop-helix protein id1 controls stem cell proliferation during regenerative neurogenesis in the adult zebrafish telencephalon. Stem Cells. 2015;33:892-903 pubmed publisher..Together, we propose that Id1 acts to maintain the neural stem cell pool by counteracting neurogenesis-promoting signals. ..
- Peng G, Westerfield M. Lhx5 promotes forebrain development and activates transcription of secreted Wnt antagonists. Development. 2006;133:3191-200 pubmed..Our results demonstrate that Lhx5 is a required factor that promotes forebrain development and inhibits Wnt signaling by activating the transcription of secreted Wnt antagonists. ..
- Varga Z, Wegner J, Westerfield M. Anterior movement of ventral diencephalic precursors separates the primordial eye field in the neural plate and requires cyclops. Development. 1999;126:5533-46 pubmed..Our results indicate that movement of a median subpopulation of diencephalic precursors separates retinal precursors into left and right eyes. Wild-type cyclops gene function is required for these morphogenetic movements. ..
- Carlin D, Sepich D, Grover V, Cooper M, Solnica Krezel L, Inbal A. Six3 cooperates with Hedgehog signaling to specify ventral telencephalon by promoting early expression of Foxg1a and repressing Wnt signaling. Development. 2012;139:2614-24 pubmed publisher..We further find that Six3 promotes ventral telencephalic fates through transient regulation of foxg1a expression and repression of the Wnt/?-catenin pathway. ..
- Gao J, Zhang C, Yang B, Sun L, Zhang C, Westerfield M, et al. Dcc regulates asymmetric outgrowth of forebrain neurons in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e36516 pubmed publisher..These experiments provide the first evidence that Dcc regulates polarized axon initiation and asymmetric outgrowth of forebrain neurons in vertebrates. ..
- Feijóo C, Saldias M, De la Paz J, Gomez Skarmeta J, Allende M. Formation of posterior cranial placode derivatives requires the Iroquois transcription factor irx4a. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2009;40:328-37 pubmed publisher..Our results point to irx4a as a critical gene for numerous developmental processes and highlight its role in the formation of placodal derivatives in vertebrates. ..
- Henshall T, Tucker B, Lumsden A, Nornes S, Lardelli M, Richards R. Selective neuronal requirement for huntingtin in the developing zebrafish. Hum Mol Genet. 2009;18:4830-42 pubmed publisher..These investigations demonstrate a specific 'rate-limiting' role for huntingtin in formation of the telencephalon and the pre-placodal region, and differing levels of requirement for huntingtin function in specific nerve cell types. ..
- Yoshizawa A, Nakahara Y, Izawa T, Ishitani T, Tsutsumi M, Kuroiwa A, et al. Zebrafish Dmrta2 regulates neurogenesis in the telencephalon. Genes Cells. 2011;16:1097-109 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the expression domains of the telencephalic marker genes, foxg1 and emx3, and the neuronal differentiation gene, neurod, are downregulated in the ha2 posterior-dorsal telencephalon during ..
- Herzog W, Sonntag C, von der Hardt S, Roehl H, Varga Z, Hammerschmidt M. Fgf3 signaling from the ventral diencephalon is required for early specification and subsequent survival of the zebrafish adenohypophysis. Development. 2004;131:3681-92 pubmed..This early specification seems to be essential for the subsequent survival of pituitary cells, but not for pituitary morphogenesis or pituitary cell proliferation...
- Walshe J, Mason I. Unique and combinatorial functions of Fgf3 and Fgf8 during zebrafish forebrain development. Development. 2003;130:4337-49 pubmed..Analysis of embryos treated with an FGFR inhibitor suggests that continuous FGF signalling is required from gastrulation stages for normal forebrain patterning, and identifies additional requirements for FGFR activity. ..
- Carreira Barbosa F, Concha M, Takeuchi M, Ueno N, Wilson S, Tada M. Prickle 1 regulates cell movements during gastrulation and neuronal migration in zebrafish. Development. 2003;130:4037-46 pubmed..In addition, Pk1 interacts with Tri to mediate posterior migration of branchiomotor neurons, probably independent of the noncanonical Wnt pathway. ..
- Londin E, Niemiec J, Sirotkin H. Chordin, FGF signaling, and mesodermal factors cooperate in zebrafish neural induction. Dev Biol. 2005;279:1-19 pubmed..Our results support a model in which specification of anterior neural tissue requires early FGF-mediated repression of BMP transcript levels and later activities of Chordin and mesodermal factors. ..
- Adolf B, Chapouton P, Lam C, Topp S, Tannhäuser B, Strahle U, et al. Conserved and acquired features of adult neurogenesis in the zebrafish telencephalon. Dev Biol. 2006;295:278-93 pubmed
- Zhang C, Gao J, Zhang H, Sun L, Peng G. Robo2--slit and Dcc--netrin1 coordinate neuron axonal pathfinding within the embryonic axon tracts. J Neurosci. 2012;32:12589-602 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate how Robo2-Slit and Dcc-Netrin coordinate the axonal projection choices of the developing neurons in the vertebrate forebrain. ..
- Ganz J, Kroehne V, Freudenreich D, Machate A, Geffarth M, Braasch I, et al. Subdivisions of the adult zebrafish pallium based on molecular marker analysis. F1000Res. 2014;3:308 pubmed publisher..Combinatorial expression analysis of ascl1a, eomesa, emx1, emx2, emx3, and Prox1 identifies four main divisions in the adult zebrafish pallium...
- Mione M, Lele Z, Kwong C, Concha M, Clarke J. Expression of pcp4a in subpopulations of CNS neurons in zebrafish. J Comp Neurol. 2006;495:769-87 pubmed..The analysis of pcp4a expression and localization in the zebrafish brain suggests that pcp4a may be a useful marker for sensory and some motor neuronal circuitries and for telencephalic areas processing sensory inputs. ..
- Kennedy B, Stearns G, Smyth V, Ramamurthy V, van Eeden F, Ankoudinova I, et al. Zebrafish rx3 and mab21l2 are required during eye morphogenesis. Dev Biol. 2004;270:336-49 pubmed..We propose that mab21l2 is an early downstream effector of rx3 and is critical for survival of eye progenitors. ..
- Tessmar Raible K, Raible F, Christodoulou F, Guy K, Rembold M, Hausen H, et al. Conserved sensory-neurosecretory cell types in annelid and fish forebrain: insights into hypothalamus evolution. Cell. 2007;129:1389-400 pubmed
- Kunwar P, Zimmerman S, Bennett J, Chen Y, Whitman M, Schier A. Mixer/Bon and FoxH1/Sur have overlapping and divergent roles in Nodal signaling and mesendoderm induction. Development. 2003;130:5589-99 pubmed
- Gongal P, Waskiewicz A. Zebrafish model of holoprosencephaly demonstrates a key role for TGIF in regulating retinoic acid metabolism. Hum Mol Genet. 2008;17:525-38 pubmed..The consequences of abnormal RA levels for forebrain patterning are profound, and imply that in human patients with TGIF deficiencies, increased forebrain RA levels contribute to the development of HPE. ..
- Ganz J, Kaslin J, Freudenreich D, Machate A, Geffarth M, Brand M. Subdivisions of the adult zebrafish subpallium by molecular marker analysis. J Comp Neurol. 2012;520:633-55 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, combinatorial expression of Isl, nkx2.1b, lhx1b, tbr1, eomesa, emx1, emx2, and emx3 identifies striatal-like, pallidal-like, and septal-like subdivisions within the subpallium...
- Rhinn M, Lun K, Ahrendt R, Geffarth M, Brand M. Zebrafish gbx1 refines the midbrain-hindbrain boundary border and mediates the Wnt8 posteriorization signal. Neural Dev. 2009;4:12 pubmed publisher..In addition to its role in MHB formation, we have shown that gbx1 is a novel mediator of Wnt8 signaling during hindbrain patterning. ..
- Groeneweg J, White Y, Kokel D, Peterson R, Zukerberg L, Berin I, et al. cables1 is required for embryonic neural development: molecular, cellular, and behavioral evidence from the zebrafish. Mol Reprod Dev. 2011;78:22-32 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these data suggest that cables1 is important for neural differentiation during embryogenesis, in a mechanism that likely involves interactions with the Cdk5/p35 kinase pathway. ..
- Webster D, Teo C, Sun Y, Wloga D, Gay S, Klonowski K, et al. O-GlcNAc modifications regulate cell survival and epiboly during zebrafish development. BMC Dev Biol. 2009;9:28 pubmed publisher..O-GlcNAc modifies the transcription factor Spiel ohne grenzen/Pou5f1 and may regulate its activity. ..
- Rentzsch F, Kramer C, Hammerschmidt M. Specific and conserved roles of TAp73 during zebrafish development. Gene. 2003;323:19-30 pubmed..Together, our data point to both conserved and class-specific roles of p73 during vertebrate development. ..