Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: emx1
Description: empty spiracles homeobox 1
Alias: zgc:101821, homeobox protein EMX1, empty spiracles homolog 1, empty spiracles-like protein 1
- Persaud A, Alberts P, Hayes M, Guettler S, Clarke I, Sicheri F, et al. Nedd4-1 binds and ubiquitylates activated FGFR1 to control its endocytosis and function. EMBO J. 2011;30:3259-73 pubmed publisher..These results identify Nedd4-1 as a key regulator of FGFR1 endocytosis and signalling during neuronal differentiation and embryonic development. ..
- Shi Y, Liu X, Zhu P, Li J, Sham K, Cheng S, et al. G-protein-coupled estrogen receptor 1 is involved in brain development during zebrafish (Danio rerio) embryogenesis. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2013;435:21-7 pubmed publisher..Our results provide novel insights into Gper functions in the developing brain, revealing that Gper can maintain the survival of the brain cells, and formation and/or differentiation of the sensory and motor neurons. ..
- Plaster N, Sonntag C, Schilling T, Hammerschmidt M. REREa/Atrophin-2 interacts with histone deacetylase and Fgf8 signaling to regulate multiple processes of zebrafish development. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:1891-904 pubmed..We present a model for RERE-dependent patterning in which tissue-specific transcriptional repression, by means of an REREa-HDAC complex, modulates growth factor signaling during embryogenesis. ..
- Mione M, Lele Z, Kwong C, Concha M, Clarke J. Expression of pcp4a in subpopulations of CNS neurons in zebrafish. J Comp Neurol. 2006;495:769-87 pubmed..The analysis of pcp4a expression and localization in the zebrafish brain suggests that pcp4a may be a useful marker for sensory and some motor neuronal circuitries and for telencephalic areas processing sensory inputs. ..
- Seiliez I, Thisse B, Thisse C. FoxA3 and goosecoid promote anterior neural fate through inhibition of Wnt8a activity before the onset of gastrulation. Dev Biol. 2006;290:152-63 pubmed..Altogether, foxA3 and goosecoid cooperate to promote formation of anterior neural tissue by protecting, as early as blastula stage, presumptive anterior neural cells from an irreversible caudalization by the posteriorizing factor Wnt8a. ..
- Hrubik J, Glisic B, Samardzija D, Stanic B, Pogrmic Majkic K, Fa S, et al. Effect of PMA-induced protein kinase C activation on development and apoptosis in early zebrafish embryos. Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol. 2016;190:24-31 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that direct over-activation of Pkc during early embryogenesis of zebrafish is associated with apoptosis and decreased survival rate of the embryos. ..
- Minguillon C, Ferrier D, Cebrian C, Garcia Fernandez J. Gene duplications in the prototypical cephalochordate amphioxus. Gene. 2002;287:121-8 pubmed
- Lu F, Sun Y, Wei C, Thisse C, Thisse B. Tissue-specific derepression of TCF/LEF controls the activity of the Wnt/Î²-catenin pathway. Nat Commun. 2014;5:5368 pubmed publisher..These findings reveal a novel level of regulation of the canonical Wnt/Î²-catenin signalling pathway occurring in the nucleus and involving tissue-specific derepression of TCF by Lbx2. ..
- Dal Pra S, Fürthauer M, Van Celst J, Thisse B, Thisse C. Noggin1 and Follistatin-like2 function redundantly to Chordin to antagonize BMP activity. Dev Biol. 2006;298:514-26 pubmed
- Shinya M, Eschbach C, Clark M, Lehrach H, Furutani Seiki M. Zebrafish Dkk1, induced by the pre-MBT Wnt signaling, is secreted from the prechordal plate and patterns the anterior neural plate. Mech Dev. 2000;98:3-17 pubmed..The nodal gene squint is also required for the maintenance of dkk1 expression. Among the mutually dependent target genes of the pre-MBT Wnt signaling, dkk1 plays an important role in patterning the anterior head of zebrafish. ..
- Rong X, Chen C, Zhou P, Zhou Y, Li Y, Lu L, et al. R-spondin 3 regulates dorsoventral and anteroposterior patterning by antagonizing Wnt/?-catenin signaling in zebrafish embryos. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e99514 pubmed publisher..Human RSPO3 has similar action when tested in zebrafish embryos. These results suggest that Rspo3 regulates dorsoventral and anteroposterior patterning by negatively regulating the zygotic Wnt/?-catenin signaling in zebrafish embryos. ..
- Chen S, Liu Y, Rong X, Li Y, Zhou J, Lu L. Neuroprotective Role of the PI3 Kinase/Akt Signaling Pathway in Zebrafish. Front Endocrinol (Lausanne). 2017;8:21 pubmed publisher..These data provide a foundation for addressing the role of PI3K/Akt in brain growth during zebrafish embryogenesis. ..
- Jessen J, Topczewski J, Bingham S, Sepich D, Marlow F, Chandrasekhar A, et al. Zebrafish trilobite identifies new roles for Strabismus in gastrulation and neuronal movements. Nat Cell Biol. 2002;4:610-5 pubmed..We propose Trilobite/Stbm mediates cellular interactions that confer directionality on distinct movements during vertebrate embryogenesis. ..
- Chen M, Hsu L, Wu J, Yeh C, Tsai J, Hseu Y, et al. Exposure to benzidine caused apoptosis and malformation of telencephalon region in zebrafish. Environ Toxicol. 2014;29:1428-36 pubmed publisher..Decreases in specific brain markers, such as emx1 in the telencephalon, ngn1 in differentiated neurons, and otx2 in the midbrain, were observed in benzidine-treated ..
- Chen S, Reichert S, Singh C, Oikonomou G, Rihel J, Prober D. Light-Dependent Regulation of Sleep and Wake States by Prokineticin 2 in Zebrafish. Neuron. 2017;95:153-168.e6 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that Prok2 antagonizes the direct wake-promoting effect of light in zebrafish, in part through the induction of galn expression in the hypothalamus. ..
- Rhinn M, Lun K, Ahrendt R, Geffarth M, Brand M. Zebrafish gbx1 refines the midbrain-hindbrain boundary border and mediates the Wnt8 posteriorization signal. Neural Dev. 2009;4:12 pubmed publisher..In addition to its role in MHB formation, we have shown that gbx1 is a novel mediator of Wnt8 signaling during hindbrain patterning. ..
- Feldman B, Dougan S, Schier A, Talbot W. Nodal-related signals establish mesendodermal fate and trunk neural identity in zebrafish. Curr Biol. 2000;10:531-4 pubmed..These results demonstrate that nodal-related genes are required for the allocation of dorsal marginal cells to mesendodermal fates and for anteroposterior patterning of the neural tube. ..
- Lim J, Yao S, Graf M, Winkler C, Yang D. Structure-function analysis of full-length midkine reveals novel residues important for heparin binding and zebrafish embryogenesis. Biochem J. 2013;451:407-15 pubmed publisher..Our findings provide new insights into the structural features of full-length midkine relevant for embryogenesis, and unravel additional therapeutic routes targeting the N-terminal half domain and conserved hinge. ..
- Liu C, Luan J, Bai Y, Li Y, Lu L, Liu Y, et al. Aspp2 negatively regulates body growth but not developmental timing by modulating IRS signaling in zebrafish embryos. Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2014;197:82-91 pubmed publisher..These findings uncover a novel role of Aspp2 in regulating vertebrate embryonic growth. ..
- Kang N, Won M, Rhee M, Ro H. Siah ubiquitin ligases modulate nodal signaling during zebrafish embryonic development. Mol Cells. 2014;37:389-98 pubmed publisher..Additionally, since the embryos injected with Siah morpholinos mimicked the atv overexpression phenotype at least in part, our data support a model in which Siah is involved in mesendoderm patterning via modulating Nodal signaling. ..
- Miyake A, Chitose T, Kamei E, Murakami A, Nakayama Y, Konishi M, et al. Fgf16 is required for specification of GABAergic neurons and oligodendrocytes in the zebrafish forebrain. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e110836 pubmed publisher..The results of the present study indicate that Fgf16 signaling, which is regulated by the downstream pathways of Hh-Fgf19 in the forebrain, is involved in forebrain development. ..
- Koch P, LÃ¶hr H, Driever W. A mutation in cnot8, component of the Ccr4-not complex regulating transcript stability, affects expression levels of developmental regulators and reveals a role of Fgf3 in development of caudal hypothalamic dopaminergic neurons. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e113829 pubmed publisher..Our data indicate that attenuation of Cnot8 activity differentially affects mRNA levels of developmental control genes. ..
- Schlueter P, Peng G, Westerfield M, Duan C. Insulin-like growth factor signaling regulates zebrafish embryonic growth and development by promoting cell survival and cell cycle progression. Cell Death Differ. 2007;14:1095-105 pubmed
- McCollum C, Amin S, Pauerstein P, Lane M. A zebrafish LMO4 ortholog limits the size of the forebrain and eyes through negative regulation of six3b and rx3. Dev Biol. 2007;309:373-85 pubmed..We propose that lmo4b has an essential role in forebrain development as a modulator of six3 and rx3 expression, and thus indirectly influences neural cell fate commitment, cell proliferation and tissue growth in the anterior CNS. ..
- Araki I, Brand M. Morpholino-induced knockdown of fgf8 efficiently phenocopies the acerebellar (ace) phenotype. Genesis. 2001;30:157-9 pubmed
- Cavodeassi F, Carreira Barbosa F, Young R, Concha M, Allende M, Houart C, et al. Early stages of zebrafish eye formation require the coordinated activity of Wnt11, Fz5, and the Wnt/beta-catenin pathway. Neuron. 2005;47:43-56 pubmed
- Wang X, Lu L, Li Y, Li M, Chen C, Feng Q, et al. Molecular and functional characterization of two distinct IGF binding protein-6 genes in zebrafish. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2009;296:R1348-57 pubmed publisher..These findings are consistent with the notion of an additional gene duplication event in teleost fish and have provided novel insight into the structural and functional evolution of the IGFBP gene family. ..
- Huang X, Hui M, Liu Y, Yuen D, Zhang Y, Chan W, et al. Discovery of a novel prolactin in non-mammalian vertebrates: evolutionary perspectives and its involvement in teleost retina development. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e6163 pubmed publisher..Its unique expression and functions in the zebrafish eye also provide a new avenue of research on the neuroendocrine control of retina development in vertebrates. ..
- Hagos E, Fan X, Dougan S. The role of maternal Activin-like signals in zebrafish embryos. Dev Biol. 2007;309:245-58 pubmed..This contrasts with the early role for these signals during Xenopus development. ..
- Jeong J, Einhorn Z, Mathur P, Chen L, Lee S, Kawakami K, et al. Patterning the zebrafish diencephalon by the conserved zinc-finger protein Fezl. Development. 2007;134:127-36 pubmed..Our findings reveal that Fezl is crucial for establishing regional subdivisions within the diencephalon and may also play a role in the development of the telencephalon and hypothalamus. ..
- Colombo A, Reig G, Mione M, Concha M. Zebrafish BarH-like genes define discrete neural domains in the early embryo. Gene Expr Patterns. 2006;6:347-52 pubmed
- Hashiguchi M, Shinya M, Tokumoto M, Sakai N. Nodal/Bozozok-independent induction of the dorsal organizer by zebrafish cell lines. Dev Biol. 2008;321:387-96 pubmed publisher..Finally, the Nodal signaling pathway was not activated following implantation of cultured cells. Collectively, these data suggest that zebrafish cell lines induce the dorsal organizer independent of the boz and Nodal signaling pathways. ..
- Guarienti M, Cardozo S, Borgese L, Lira G, Depero L, Bontempi E, et al. COSMOS-rice technology abrogates the biotoxic effects of municipal solid waste incinerator residues. Environ Pollut. 2016;214:713-721 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate at the biological level that the newly developed COSMOS-rice technology is an efficient and cost-effective method to process MSWI fly ash, producing a biologically safe and reusable material. ..
- Schafer M, Kinzel D, Neuner C, Schartl M, Volff J, Winkler C. Hedgehog and retinoid signalling confines nkx2.2b expression to the lateral floor plate of the zebrafish trunk. Mech Dev. 2005;122:43-56 pubmed..g. tal2 or foxa2, nkx2.2b is exclusively expressed in the LFP. Thus, it represents a unique tool to analyse the mechanisms of ventral neural tube patterning in zebrafish. ..
- Plouhinec J, Granier C, Le Mentec C, Lawson K, Sabéran Djoneidi D, Aghion J, et al. Identification of the mammalian Not gene via a phylogenomic approach. Gene Expr Patterns. 2004;5:11-22 pubmed..The phylogenomic method used to retrieve this gene thus provides a tool, which can complement or validate genome annotations in situations when they are weakly supported. ..
- Miyake A, Mekata Y, Fujibayashi H, Nakanishi K, Konishi M, Itoh N. Brorin is required for neurogenesis, gliogenesis, and commissural axon guidance in the zebrafish forebrain. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0176036 pubmed publisher..The present results suggest that Brorin is a secreted Bmp antagonist predominantly expressed in developing neural tissues and that it plays multiple roles in the development of the zebrafish forebrain. ..
- Onuma T, Ding Y, Abraham E, Zohar Y, Ando H, Duan C. Regulation of temporal and spatial organization of newborn GnRH neurons by IGF signaling in zebrafish. J Neurosci. 2011;31:11814-24 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the IGF-IGF1R-PI3K pathway regulates the precise temporal and spatial organization of GnRH neurons in zebrafish and provides new insights into the regulation of GnRH neuron development. ..
- Peng K, Li Y, Long L, Li D, Jia Q, Wang Y, et al. Knockdown of FoxO3a induces increased neuronal apoptosis during embryonic development in zebrafish. Neurosci Lett. 2010;484:98-103 pubmed publisher..Our results indicated that FoxO3a might be essential for the maintenance of neural development in zebrafish. Therefore, this work provides novel evidence of FoxO3a in the embryonic neurodevelopment from zebrafish to other mammals. ..
- Kamei H, Ding Y, Kajimura S, Wells M, CHIANG P, Duan C. Role of IGF signaling in catch-up growth and accelerated temporal development in zebrafish embryos in response to oxygen availability. Development. 2011;138:777-86 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the evolutionarily conserved IGF signaling pathway coordinates growth and temporal development in zebrafish embryos in response to oxygen availability. ..
- Pikulkaew S, Benato F, Celeghin A, Zucal C, Skobo T, Colombo L, et al. The knockdown of maternal glucocorticoid receptor mRNA alters embryo development in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2011;240:874-89 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that the maternal gr transcript and protein participate in the maternal programming of zebrafish development. ..
- De Felice E, Porreca I, Alleva E, De Girolamo P, Ambrosino C, Ciriaco E, et al. Localization of BDNF expression in the developing brain of zebrafish. J Anat. 2014;224:564-74 pubmed publisher..Anatomical criteria and co-staining with genetic markers (shh, pax2a, emx1, krox20, lhx2b and lhx9) visualized major topological domains of BDNF-positive cells in the pallium, hypothalamus, ..
- Feijóo C, Sarrazin A, Allende M, Glavic A. Cystein-serine-rich nuclear protein 1, Axud1/Csrnp1, is essential for cephalic neural progenitor proliferation and survival in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:2034-43 pubmed publisher..Thus, we provide evidence as to the role of axud1 in brain growth in vertebrates. ..
- Liao W, Cheng C, Hung K, Chiu W, Chen G, Hwang P, et al. Protein tyrosine phosphatase receptor type O (Ptpro) regulates cerebellar formation during zebrafish development through modulating Fgf signaling. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2013;70:2367-81 pubmed publisher..Therefore, our findings demonstrate that Ptpro activity is required for patterning the zebrafish embryonic brain. Specifically, Ptpro regulates cerebellar formation during zebrafish development through modulating Fgf signaling. ..
- Xu S, Xia W, Zohar Y, Gui J. Zebrafish dmrta2 regulates the expression of cdkn2c in spermatogenesis in the adult testis. Biol Reprod. 2013;88:14 pubmed publisher..dramatic expression changes of two telencephalic marker genes, fibroblast growth factor 8a (fgf8a), and empty spiracles homolog 1 (emx1)...
- Hofmeister W, Devine C, Rothnagel J, Key B. Frizzled-3a and slit2 genetically interact to modulate midline axon crossing in the telencephalon. Mech Dev. 2012;129:109-24 pubmed publisher..In the absence of this platform of glia, commissural axons fail to cross the rostral midline of the forebrain. ..
- Zou S, Kamei H, Modi Z, Duan C. Zebrafish IGF genes: gene duplication, conservation and divergence, and novel roles in midline and notochord development. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e7026 pubmed publisher..These results not only provide new insights into the functional conservation and divergence of the multiple igf genes but also reveal a novel role of IGF signaling in midline formation and notochord development in a vertebrate model...
- De Rienzo G, Bishop J, Mao Y, Pan L, Ma T, Moens C, et al. Disc1 regulates both ?-catenin-mediated and noncanonical Wnt signaling during vertebrate embryogenesis. FASEB J. 2011;25:4184-97 pubmed publisher..This is the first demonstration that Disc1 modulates the noncanonical Wnt pathway and suggests a previously unconsidered mechanism by which Disc1 may contribute to the etiology of neuropsychiatric disorders. ..
- Flinn L, Keatinge M, Bretaud S, Mortiboys H, Matsui H, De Felice E, et al. TigarB causes mitochondrial dysfunction and neuronal loss in PINK1 deficiency. Ann Neurol. 2013;74:837-47 pubmed publisher..Pink1(-/-) zebrafish are the first vertebrate model of PINK1 deficiency with loss of dopaminergic neurons. Our study also identifies TIGAR as a promising novel target for disease-modifying therapy in PINK1-related PD. ..
- Yeh C, Kao S, Cheng Y, Hsu L. Knockdown of cyclin-dependent kinase 10 (cdk10) gene impairs neural progenitor survival via modulation of raf1a gene expression. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:27927-39 pubmed publisher..Our findings provide the first functional characterization of cdk10 in vertebrate development and reveal its critical function in neurogenesis by modulation of raf1a expression. ..
- Manoli M, Driever W. nkx2.1 and nkx2.4 genes function partially redundant during development of the zebrafish hypothalamus, preoptic region, and pallidum. Front Neuroanat. 2014;8:145 pubmed publisher..1 is specifically involved in the development of rostral ventral forebrain including the pallidum and preoptic regions, whereas nkx2.4a and nkx2.4b control the intermediate and caudal hypothalamus. ..