Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: egr2b
Description: early growth response 2b
Alias: KRX-20, cb427, egr2, id:ibd5073, krox20, krx20, wu:fb71h10, zgc:92210, early growth response protein 2b, EGR-2b, krox-20, protein krx-20, zinc finger protein Krox-20
- Lele Z, Bakkers J, Hammerschmidt M. Morpholino phenocopies of the swirl, snailhouse, somitabun, minifin, silberblick, and pipetail mutations. Genesis. 2001;30:190-4 pubmed
- Sun S, Dee C, Tripathi V, Rengifo A, Hirst C, Scotting P. Epibranchial and otic placodes are induced by a common Fgf signal, but their subsequent development is independent. Dev Biol. 2007;303:675-86 pubmed
- Ross A, May Simera H, Eichers E, Kai M, Hill J, Jagger D, et al. Disruption of Bardet-Biedl syndrome ciliary proteins perturbs planar cell polarity in vertebrates. Nat Genet. 2005;37:1135-40 pubmed..We also show that Vangl2 localizes to the basal body and axoneme of ciliated cells, a pattern reminiscent of that of the BBS proteins. These data suggest that cilia are intrinsically involved in PCP processes. ..
- Linville A, Radtke K, Waxman J, Yelon D, Schilling T. Combinatorial roles for zebrafish retinoic acid receptors in the hindbrain, limbs and pharyngeal arches. Dev Biol. 2009;325:60-70 pubmed publisher..These studies reveal novel tissue-specific roles for RARs in controlling the competence and sensitivity of cells to respond to RA. ..
- Miller A, Obholzer N, Shah A, Megason S, Moens C. RNA-seq-based mapping and candidate identification of mutations from forward genetic screens. Genome Res. 2013;23:679-86 pubmed publisher..Overall, we show that RNA-seq is a fast, reliable, and cost-effective method to map and identify mutations that will greatly facilitate the power of forward genetics in vertebrate models. ..
- Choe S, Lu P, Nakamura M, Lee J, SAGERSTROM C. Meis cofactors control HDAC and CBP accessibility at Hox-regulated promoters during zebrafish embryogenesis. Dev Cell. 2009;17:561-7 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Meis acts, at least in part, by controlling access of HDAC and CBP to Hox-regulated promoters. ..
- McFarland K, Warga R, Kane D. Genetic locus half baked is necessary for morphogenesis of the ectoderm. Dev Dyn. 2005;233:390-406 pubmed
- Hoyle J, Tang Y, Wiellette E, Wardle F, Sive H. nlz gene family is required for hindbrain patterning in the zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2004;229:835-46 pubmed..These data indicate that one function of the nlz gene family is to specify or maintain r4 identity, and to limit r3 and r5 during hindbrain formation. ..
- Tse W, You M, Ho S, Jiang Y. The deubiquitylating enzyme Cops6 regulates different developmental processes during early zebrafish embryogenesis. Int J Dev Biol. 2011;55:19-24 pubmed publisher..Overall, the present study that consolidates our previous work on zebrafish DUB genes, corroborates the hypothesis of multi-functional roles for DUB genes during development. ..
- Phillips B, Kwon H, Melton C, Houghtaling P, Fritz A, Riley B. Zebrafish msxB, msxC and msxE function together to refine the neural-nonneural border and regulate cranial placodes and neural crest development. Dev Biol. 2006;294:376-90 pubmed..These data suggest that mutual antagonism between Msx and Dlx proteins achieves a balance of function required for normal preplacodal differentiation and placement of the neural-nonneural border. ..
- Miller Bertoglio V, Carmany Rampey A, Fürthauer M, Gonzalez E, Thisse C, Thisse B, et al. Maternal and zygotic activity of the zebrafish ogon locus antagonizes BMP signaling. Dev Biol. 1999;214:72-86 pubmed..The results suggest that ogo encodes an as yet unidentified dorsalizing factor that mediates dorsoventral patterning by directly or indirectly antagonizing BMP activity. ..
- May Simera H, Kai M, Hernandez V, Osborn D, Tada M, Beales P. Bbs8, together with the planar cell polarity protein Vangl2, is required to establish left-right asymmetry in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2010;345:215-25 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that bbs8 and vangl2 act synergistically on cell polarization to establish and maintain the appropriate length and number of cilia in the KV and thereby facilitate correct LR asymmetry. ..
- Zhang L, Radtke K, Zheng L, Cai A, Schilling T, Nie Q. Noise drives sharpening of gene expression boundaries in the zebrafish hindbrain. Mol Syst Biol. 2012;8:613 pubmed publisher..in the zebrafish hindbrain, the morphogen retinoic acid (RA) induces expression of hoxb1a in rhombomere 4 (r4) and krox20 in r3 and r5...
- Montero Balaguer M, Lang M, Sachdev S, Knappmeyer C, Stewart R, De La Guardia A, et al. The mother superior mutation ablates foxd3 activity in neural crest progenitor cells and depletes neural crest derivatives in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:3199-212 pubmed..Further analysis of mosm188 mutants and foxd3 morphants revealed that NC cells are initially formed, suggesting that foxd3 function is required to maintain the pool of NC progenitors. ..
- Emond M, Biswas S, Jontes J. Protocadherin-19 is essential for early steps in brain morphogenesis. Dev Biol. 2009;334:72-83 pubmed publisher..1 and krox20. Characterization of embryos early in development by in vivo 2-photon timelapse microscopy reveals that the ..
- Wada H, Tanaka H, Nakayama S, Iwasaki M, Okamoto H. Frizzled3a and Celsr2 function in the neuroepithelium to regulate migration of facial motor neurons in the developing zebrafish hindbrain. Development. 2006;133:4749-59 pubmed..e. preventing integration of differentiated neurons into the neuroepithelial layer). This contrasts markedly with their reported role in reintegration of neuroepithelial daughter cells into the neuroepithelial layer after cell division. ..
- Li C, Inglis P, Leitch C, Efimenko E, Zaghloul N, Mok C, et al. An essential role for DYF-11/MIP-T3 in assembling functional intraflagellar transport complexes. PLoS Genet. 2008;4:e1000044 pubmed publisher..Our findings therefore implicate MIP-T3 in a previously unknown but critical role in cilium biogenesis and further highlight the emerging role of this organelle in vertebrate development. ..
- Wada H, Iwasaki M, Sato T, Masai I, Nishiwaki Y, Tanaka H, et al. Dual roles of zygotic and maternal Scribble1 in neural migration and convergent extension movements in zebrafish embryos. Development. 2005;132:2273-85 pubmed..The dual roles of the scrb1 gene in both neuronal migration and CE provide a novel insight into the underlying mechanisms of cell movement in vertebrate development. ..
- Huang P, Schier A. Dampened Hedgehog signaling but normal Wnt signaling in zebrafish without cilia. Development. 2009;136:3089-98 pubmed publisher..These results reveal a conserved requirement for cilia in transducing the activity of upstream regulators of Hh signaling but distinct phenotypic effects due to differential regulation and differing roles of transcriptional mediators. ..
- Begemann G, Schilling T, Rauch G, Geisler R, Ingham P. The zebrafish neckless mutation reveals a requirement for raldh2 in mesodermal signals that pattern the hindbrain. Development. 2001;128:3081-94 pubmed
- Seo J, Asaoka Y, Nagai Y, Hirayama J, Yamasaki T, Namae M, et al. Negative regulation of wnt11 expression by Jnk signaling during zebrafish gastrulation. J Cell Biochem. 2010;110:1022-37 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, non-canonical Wnt signaling may coordinate vertebrate CE movements by triggering Jnk activation that represses the expression of the CE-triggering ligand wnt11. ..
- Gritsman K, Zhang J, Cheng S, Heckscher E, Talbot W, Schier A. The EGF-CFC protein one-eyed pinhead is essential for nodal signaling. Cell. 1999;97:121-32 pubmed..Expression of the murine EGF-CFC gene cripto rescues oep mutants. These results suggest a conserved role for EGF-CFC proteins as essential extracellular cofactors for Nodal signaling during vertebrate development. ..
- Burgess S, Reim G, Chen W, Hopkins N, Brand M. The zebrafish spiel-ohne-grenzen (spg) gene encodes the POU domain protein Pou2 related to mammalian Oct4 and is essential for formation of the midbrain and hindbrain, and for pre-gastrula morphogenesis. Development. 2002;129:905-16 pubmed..1, wnt1, krox20) are severely reduced, correlating with the neuroectoderm-specific expression phase of pou2...
- Adolf B, Bellipanni G, Huber V, Bally Cuif L. atoh1.2 and beta3.1 are two new bHLH-encoding genes expressed in selective precursor cells of the zebrafish anterior hindbrain. Gene Expr Patterns. 2004;5:35-41 pubmed..In this territory we demonstrate that atoh1.2 and beta3.1 are transcribed in distinct precursors, further highlighting the subdivision of anterior zebrafish hindbrain into subdomains of bHLH expression. ..
- Lister J, Cooper C, Nguyen K, Modrell M, Grant K, Raible D. Zebrafish Foxd3 is required for development of a subset of neural crest derivatives. Dev Biol. 2006;290:92-104 pubmed
- Emoto Y, Wada H, Okamoto H, Kudo A, Imai Y. Retinoic acid-metabolizing enzyme Cyp26a1 is essential for determining territories of hindbrain and spinal cord in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2005;278:415-27 pubmed..We propose a model in which Cyp26a1 attenuates RA signaling in the prospective rostral spinal cord to limit the expression of hox genes and to determine the hindbrain-spinal cord boundary. ..
- Aamar E, Dawid I. Protocadherin-18a has a role in cell adhesion, behavior and migration in zebrafish development. Dev Biol. 2008;318:335-46 pubmed publisher..These results suggest a role for Pcdh18a in cell adhesion, migration and behavior but not cell specification during gastrula and segmentation stages of development. ..
- Pillay L, Forrester A, Erickson T, Berman J, Waskiewicz A. The Hox cofactors Meis1 and Pbx act upstream of gata1 to regulate primitive hematopoiesis. Dev Biol. 2010;340:306-17 pubmed publisher..Our study conclusively demonstrates that Meis1 and Pbx act to specify the erythropoietic cell lineage and inhibit myelopoiesis. ..
- White R, Nie Q, Lander A, Schilling T. Complex regulation of cyp26a1 creates a robust retinoic acid gradient in the zebrafish embryo. PLoS Biol. 2007;5:e304 pubmed..Such control also provides an explanation for the fact that loss of an endogenous RA gradient can be compensated for by RA that is provided in a spatially uniform manner. ..
- Xie J, Fisher S. Twisted gastrulation enhances BMP signaling through chordin dependent and independent mechanisms. Development. 2005;132:383-91 pubmed
- Kudoh T, Wilson S, Dawid I. Distinct roles for Fgf, Wnt and retinoic acid in posteriorizing the neural ectoderm. Development. 2002;129:4335-46 pubmed..Thus, cyp26 has an important role in linking the Fgf, Wnt and RA signals to regulate AP patterning of the neural ectoderm in the late blastula to gastrula embryo in zebrafish. ..
- Carreira Barbosa F, Concha M, Takeuchi M, Ueno N, Wilson S, Tada M. Prickle 1 regulates cell movements during gastrulation and neuronal migration in zebrafish. Development. 2003;130:4037-46 pubmed..In addition, Pk1 interacts with Tri to mediate posterior migration of branchiomotor neurons, probably independent of the noncanonical Wnt pathway. ..
- Rhinn M, Lun K, Amores A, Yan Y, Postlethwait J, Brand M. Cloning, expression and relationship of zebrafish gbx1 and gbx2 genes to Fgf signaling. Mech Dev. 2003;120:919-36 pubmed..Moreover, our results provide an example for switching of a specific gene function of gbx1 versus gbx2 between orthologous genes in zebrafish and mammals. ..
- Jopling C, van Geemen D, den Hertog J. Shp2 knockdown and Noonan/LEOPARD mutant Shp2-induced gastrulation defects. PLoS Genet. 2007;3:e225 pubmed..The finding that defective Shp2 signaling induced cell movement defects as early as gastrulation may have implications for the monitoring and diagnosis of Noonan and LEOPARD syndrome...
- Guo S, Wilson S, Cooke S, Chitnis A, Driever W, Rosenthal A. Mutations in the zebrafish unmask shared regulatory pathways controlling the development of catecholaminergic neurons. Dev Biol. 1999;208:473-87 pubmed..They further reveal an underlying universal mechanism for the control of CA cell fates, which involve combinatorial usage of regulatory genes. ..
- Gongal P, Waskiewicz A. Zebrafish model of holoprosencephaly demonstrates a key role for TGIF in regulating retinoic acid metabolism. Hum Mol Genet. 2008;17:525-38 pubmed..The consequences of abnormal RA levels for forebrain patterning are profound, and imply that in human patients with TGIF deficiencies, increased forebrain RA levels contribute to the development of HPE. ..
- Bauer H, Lele Z, Rauch G, Geisler R, Hammerschmidt M. The type I serine/threonine kinase receptor Alk8/Lost-a-fin is required for Bmp2b/7 signal transduction during dorsoventral patterning of the zebrafish embryo. Development. 2001;128:849-58 pubmed..Altogether, the data suggest that Alk8 acts as a Bmp2b/7 receptor upstream of Smad5. ..
- Cruz C, Maegawa S, Weinberg E, Wilson S, Dawid I, Kudoh T. Induction and patterning of trunk and tail neural ectoderm by the homeobox gene eve1 in zebrafish embryos. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:3564-9 pubmed publisher..We conclude that eve1 is crucial for the organization of the antero-posterior and dorso-ventral axis in the gastrula ectoderm and also has trunk- and tail-promoting activity...
- Monk K, Naylor S, Glenn T, Mercurio S, Perlin J, Dominguez C, et al. A G protein-coupled receptor is essential for Schwann cells to initiate myelination. Science. 2009;325:1402-5 pubmed publisher..Axonal signals activate expression of specific transcription factors, including Oct6 and Krox20, that initiate myelination in Schwann cells...
- Valente E, Logan C, Mougou Zerelli S, Lee J, Silhavy J, Brancati F, et al. Mutations in TMEM216 perturb ciliogenesis and cause Joubert, Meckel and related syndromes. Nat Genet. 2010;42:619-25 pubmed publisher..These data implicate a new family of proteins in the ciliopathies and further support allelism between ciliopathy disorders. ..
- Kikuta H, Kanai M, Ito Y, Yamasu K. gbx2 Homeobox gene is required for the maintenance of the isthmic region in the zebrafish embryonic brain. Dev Dyn. 2003;228:433-50 pubmed..Comparisons with the expression of otx2, wnt1, and krox20 showed that gbx2 is expressed in the anterior hindbrain...
- Kaji T, Artinger K. dlx3b and dlx4b function in the development of Rohon-Beard sensory neurons and trigeminal placode in the zebrafish neurula. Dev Biol. 2004;276:523-40 pubmed..These data suggest that the contribution of dlx3b and dlx4b to neural plate border formation is partially non-cell-autonomous acting via BMP activity. ..
- Rhinn M, Lun K, Ahrendt R, Geffarth M, Brand M. Zebrafish gbx1 refines the midbrain-hindbrain boundary border and mediates the Wnt8 posteriorization signal. Neural Dev. 2009;4:12 pubmed publisher..In addition to its role in MHB formation, we have shown that gbx1 is a novel mediator of Wnt8 signaling during hindbrain patterning. ..
- Azuma M, Toyama R, Laver E, Dawid I. Perturbation of rRNA synthesis in the bap28 mutation leads to apoptosis mediated by p53 in the zebrafish central nervous system. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:13309-16 pubmed..The bap28 mutation provides a genetic approach to study the role of ribosome biogenesis in the development of a vertebrate embryo. ..
- Zigman M, Laumann Lipp N, Titus T, Postlethwait J, Moens C. Hoxb1b controls oriented cell division, cell shape and microtubule dynamics in neural tube morphogenesis. Development. 2014;141:639-49 pubmed publisher..We propose that Hox genes can influence global tissue morphogenesis by control of microtubule dynamics in individual cells in vivo. ..
- Walshe J, Maroon H, McGonnell I, Dickson C, Mason I. Establishment of hindbrain segmental identity requires signaling by FGF3 and FGF8. Curr Biol. 2002;12:1117-23 pubmed..being established through differential expression of a hierarchy of transcription factors, including Hox genes, Krox20, and Kreisler/Valentino...
- Eroglu B, Wang G, Tu N, Sun X, Mivechi N. Critical role of Brg1 member of the SWI/SNF chromatin remodeling complex during neurogenesis and neural crest induction in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:2722-35 pubmed..six3, and marked reduction in expression of the mid/hind-brain boundary and hind-brain genes, engrailed2 and krox20, respectively...
- French C, Erickson T, Callander D, Berry K, Koss R, Hagey D, et al. Pbx homeodomain proteins pattern both the zebrafish retina and tectum. BMC Dev Biol. 2007;7:85 pubmed..These data define a novel role for Pbx in patterning the vertebrate retina and tectum in a manner required for proper retinal ganglion cell axon outgrowth. ..
- Zhou J, Li W, Kamei H, Duan C. Duplication of the IGFBP-2 gene in teleost fish: protein structure and functionality conservation and gene expression divergence. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e3926 pubmed publisher..The duplicated IGFBP-2 genes may provide additional flexibility in the regulation of IGF activities. ..
- Labalette C, Bouchoucha Y, Wassef M, Gongal P, Le Men J, Becker T, et al. Hindbrain patterning requires fine-tuning of early krox20 transcription by Sprouty 4. Development. 2011;138:317-26 pubmed publisher..factor (FGF) signalling plays a major role, notably by controlling the expression of the transcription factor Krox20 (Egr2), which is required for the formation and specification of two segmental units: rhombomeres (r) 3 and 5...
- Cooke J, Moens C. Boundary formation in the hindbrain: Eph only it were simple. Trends Neurosci. 2002;25:260-7 pubmed..We discuss the contributions of two mechanisms -- cell sorting and plasticity -- to the formation of rhombomere boundaries. ..
- Koos D, Ho R. The nieuwkoid gene characterizes and mediates a Nieuwkoop-center-like activity in the zebrafish. Curr Biol. 1998;8:1199-206 pubmed
- Erickson T, Scholpp S, Brand M, Moens C, Waskiewicz A. Pbx proteins cooperate with Engrailed to pattern the midbrain-hindbrain and diencephalic-mesencephalic boundaries. Dev Biol. 2007;301:504-17 pubmed..Our data support a novel model of midbrain development in which Pbx and Engrailed proteins cooperatively pattern the mesencephalic region of the neural tube. ..
- Sun Z, Jin P, Tian T, Gu Y, Chen Y, Meng A. Activation and roles of ALK4/ALK7-mediated maternal TGFbeta signals in zebrafish embryo. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2006;345:694-703 pubmed
- Freisinger C, Fisher R, Slusarski D. Regulator of g protein signaling 3 modulates wnt5b calcium dynamics and somite patterning. PLoS Genet. 2010;6:e1001020 pubmed publisher..These results provide the first evidence for an essential developmental role of RGS proteins in modulating the duration of non-canonical Wnt signaling. ..
- Cooke J, Kemp H, Moens C. EphA4 is required for cell adhesion and rhombomere-boundary formation in the zebrafish. Curr Biol. 2005;15:536-42 pubmed
- Runtuwene V, van Eekelen M, Overvoorde J, Rehmann H, Yntema H, Nillesen W, et al. Noonan syndrome gain-of-function mutations in NRAS cause zebrafish gastrulation defects. Dis Model Mech. 2011;4:393-9 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, mutations in NRAS from individuals with Noonan syndrome activated N-Ras signaling and induced developmental defects in zebrafish embryos, indicating that activating mutations in NRAS cause Noonan syndrome...
- van Eekelen M, Runtuwene V, Overvoorde J, den Hertog J. RPTPalpha and PTPepsilon signaling via Fyn/Yes and RhoA is essential for zebrafish convergence and extension cell movements during gastrulation. Dev Biol. 2010;340:626-39 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that RPTPalpha and PTPepsilon are essential for C&E movements in a signaling pathway parallel to non-canonical Wnts and upstream of Fyn, Yes and RhoA. ..
- Zaghloul N, Liu Y, Gerdes J, Gascue C, Oh E, Leitch C, et al. Functional analyses of variants reveal a significant role for dominant negative and common alleles in oligogenic Bardet-Biedl syndrome. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:10602-7 pubmed publisher..Importantly, superimposition of these results to human genetics data suggests a previously underappreciated complexity in disease architecture that might be shared among diverse clinical phenotypes. ..
- Sittaramane V, Sawant A, Wolman M, Maves L, Halloran M, Chandrasekhar A. The cell adhesion molecule Tag1, transmembrane protein Stbm/Vangl2, and Lamininalpha1 exhibit genetic interactions during migration of facial branchiomotor neurons in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2009;325:363-73 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that tag1, lama1 and vangl2 participate in a common mechanism that integrates signaling between the FBMN and its environment to regulate migration. ..
- Choe S, SAGERSTROM C. Paralog group 1 hox genes regulate rhombomere 5/6 expression of vhnf1, a repressor of rostral hindbrain fates, in a meis-dependent manner. Dev Biol. 2004;271:350-61 pubmed..Notably, reductions in the function of another Hox cofactor, pbx, have not been reported to transform the caudal hindbrain, suggesting that Meis and Pbx proteins may also function differently in their roles as Hox cofactors. ..
- Kemp H, Cooke J, Moens C. EphA4 and EfnB2a maintain rhombomere coherence by independently regulating intercalation of progenitor cells in the zebrafish neural keel. Dev Biol. 2009;327:313-26 pubmed publisher..We propose a model in which Eph and Efn-dependent cell affinity within rhombomeres serve to maintain rhombomere organization during the potentially disruptive process of teleost neurulation. ..
- Runko A, SAGERSTROM C. Nlz belongs to a family of zinc-finger-containing repressors and controls segmental gene expression in the zebrafish hindbrain. Dev Biol. 2003;262:254-67 pubmed..We conclude that Nlz is a transcriptional repressor that controls segmental gene expression in the hindbrain. Lastly, we identify additional nlz-related genes, suggesting that Nlz belongs to a family of zinc-finger proteins. ..
- Khanna H, Davis E, Murga Zamalloa C, Estrada Cuzcano A, Lopez I, den Hollander A, et al. A common allele in RPGRIP1L is a modifier of retinal degeneration in ciliopathies. Nat Genet. 2009;41:739-45 pubmed publisher..Our data represent an example of modification of a discrete phenotype of syndromic disease and highlight the importance of a multifaceted approach for the discovery of modifier alleles of intermediate frequency and effect. ..
- Dick A, Meier A, Hammerschmidt M. Smad1 and Smad5 have distinct roles during dorsoventral patterning of the zebrafish embryo. Dev Dyn. 1999;216:285-98 pubmed
- Jessen J, Topczewski J, Bingham S, Sepich D, Marlow F, Chandrasekhar A, et al. Zebrafish trilobite identifies new roles for Strabismus in gastrulation and neuronal movements. Nat Cell Biol. 2002;4:610-5 pubmed..We propose Trilobite/Stbm mediates cellular interactions that confer directionality on distinct movements during vertebrate embryogenesis. ..
- Varga M, Maegawa S, Bellipanni G, Weinberg E. Chordin expression, mediated by Nodal and FGF signaling, is restricted by redundant function of two beta-catenins in the zebrafish embryo. Mech Dev. 2007;124:775-91 pubmed
- Nyholm M, Wu S, Dorsky R, Grinblat Y. The zebrafish zic2a-zic5 gene pair acts downstream of canonical Wnt signaling to control cell proliferation in the developing tectum. Development. 2007;134:735-46 pubmed..Collectively these findings suggest that Wnts control midbrain proliferation, at least in part, through regulation of two novel target genes, the zic2a-zic5 gene pair. ..
- Riley B, Chiang M, Storch E, Heck R, Buckles G, Lekven A. Rhombomere boundaries are Wnt signaling centers that regulate metameric patterning in the zebrafish hindbrain. Dev Dyn. 2004;231:278-91 pubmed..Similar feedback mechanisms operate in the Drosophila wing disc and vertebrate limb bud, suggesting coaptation of a conserved signaling module that spatially organizes cells in complex organ systems. ..
- Peng G, Westerfield M. Lhx5 promotes forebrain development and activates transcription of secreted Wnt antagonists. Development. 2006;133:3191-200 pubmed..Our results demonstrate that Lhx5 is a required factor that promotes forebrain development and inhibits Wnt signaling by activating the transcription of secreted Wnt antagonists. ..
- Waxman J, Yelon D. Increased Hox activity mimics the teratogenic effects of excess retinoic acid signaling. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:1207-13 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that Hox activity mediates the differential effects of ectopic RA on atrial and ventricular cardiomyocytes and may underlie the teratogenic effects of RA on the heart. ..
- Maves L, Kimmel C. Dynamic and sequential patterning of the zebrafish posterior hindbrain by retinoic acid. Dev Biol. 2005;285:593-605 pubmed..Our results support a new model of dynamic RA action in the hindbrain, in which a temporally increasing source of RA is required to sequentially initiate progressively more posterior rhombomere identities...
- Lyons D, Pogoda H, Voas M, Woods I, Diamond B, Nix R, et al. erbb3 and erbb2 are essential for schwann cell migration and myelination in zebrafish. Curr Biol. 2005;15:513-24 pubmed..These results provide in vivo evidence that Neuregulin-ErbB signaling is essential for directed Schwann cell migration and demonstrate that this pathway is also required for the onset of myelination in postmigratory Schwann cells. ..
- Distel M, Wullimann M, Köster R. Optimized Gal4 genetics for permanent gene expression mapping in zebrafish. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:13365-70 pubmed publisher..We demonstrate its use by showing that the secondary octaval nucleus in the adult hindbrain is likely derived from egr2b-expressing cells in rhombomere 5 during stages of early embryogenesis...
- Elsen G, Choi L, Millen K, Grinblat Y, Prince V. Zic1 and Zic4 regulate zebrafish roof plate specification and hindbrain ventricle morphogenesis. Dev Biol. 2008;314:376-92 pubmed publisher..In summary, we conclude that Zic1 and Zic4 control zebrafish 4th ventricle morphogenesis by regulating multiple mechanisms including cell proliferation and fate specification in the dorsal hindbrain. ..
- Maroon H, Walshe J, Mahmood R, Kiefer P, Dickson C, Mason I. Fgf3 and Fgf8 are required together for formation of the otic placode and vesicle. Development. 2002;129:2099-108 pubmed..We propose that Fgf3 and Fgf8 are required together for formation of the otic placode and act during the earliest stages of its induction. ..
- Bellipanni G, Varga M, Maegawa S, Imai Y, Kelly C, Myers A, et al. Essential and opposing roles of zebrafish beta-catenins in the formation of dorsal axial structures and neurectoderm. Development. 2006;133:1299-309 pubmed..We propose that the early, dorsal-promoting function of beta-catenin-2 is essential to counteract a later, dorsal- and neurectoderm-repressing function that is shared by both beta-catenin genes...
- Skromne I, Thorsen D, Hale M, Prince V, Ho R. Repression of the hindbrain developmental program by Cdx factors is required for the specification of the vertebrate spinal cord. Development. 2007;134:2147-58 pubmed..We propose that by preventing the posterior-most region of the neural plate from following a hindbrain developmental program, Cdx factors help determine the size of the prospective hindbrain and spinal cord territories. ..
- Yu P, Hong C, Sachidanandan C, Babitt J, Deng D, Hoyng S, et al. Dorsomorphin inhibits BMP signals required for embryogenesis and iron metabolism. Nat Chem Biol. 2008;4:33-41 pubmed..These findings suggest an essential physiological role for hepatic BMP signaling in iron-hepcidin homeostasis. ..
- Del Giacco L, Sordino P, Pistocchi A, Andreakis N, Tarallo R, Di Benedetto B, et al. Differential regulation of the zebrafish orthopedia 1 gene during fate determination of diencephalic neurons. BMC Dev Biol. 2006;6:50 pubmed..Furthermore, our data indicate that morphogenetic mechanisms differentially regulate otp1 expression in alar and basal plates. ..
- Herzog W, Sonntag C, von der Hardt S, Roehl H, Varga Z, Hammerschmidt M. Fgf3 signaling from the ventral diencephalon is required for early specification and subsequent survival of the zebrafish adenohypophysis. Development. 2004;131:3681-92 pubmed..This early specification seems to be essential for the subsequent survival of pituitary cells, but not for pituitary morphogenesis or pituitary cell proliferation...
- Roy N, SAGERSTROM C. An early Fgf signal required for gene expression in the zebrafish hindbrain primordium. Brain Res Dev Brain Res. 2004;148:27-42 pubmed..Our results demonstrate an early role for Fgf signaling and reveal a dynamic relationship between the RA and Fgf signaling pathways during hindbrain development. ..
- Gerdes J, Liu Y, Zaghloul N, Leitch C, Lawson S, Kato M, et al. Disruption of the basal body compromises proteasomal function and perturbs intracellular Wnt response. Nat Genet. 2007;39:1350-60 pubmed
- Barth K, Kishimoto Y, Rohr K, Seydler C, Schulte Merker S, Wilson S. Bmp activity establishes a gradient of positional information throughout the entire neural plate. Development. 1999;126:4977-87 pubmed..These results are consistent with there being a gradient of Bmp-dependent positional information extending throughout the entire neural and non-neural ectoderm. ..
- Wassef M, Chomette D, Pouilhe M, Stedman A, Havis E, Desmarquet Trin Dinh C, et al. Rostral hindbrain patterning involves the direct activation of a Krox20 transcriptional enhancer by Hox/Pbx and Meis factors. Development. 2008;135:3369-78 pubmed publisher..The morphogenesis of the vertebrate hindbrain involves the generation of metameric units called rhombomeres (r), and Krox20 encodes a transcription factor that is expressed in r3 and r5 and plays a major role in this segmentation process...