Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: efnb2a
Alias: efnb2, id:ibd5072, ephrin-B2a
- Shaw K, Castranova D, Pham V, Kamei M, Kidd K, Lo B, et al. fused-somites-like mutants exhibit defects in trunk vessel patterning. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:1753-60 pubmed..Somitic expression of known vascular guidance factors efnb2a, sema3a1, and sema3a2 is aberrantly patterned in fss and bea mutants, suggesting that the vascular phenotype is ..
- Wang Y, Pan L, Moens C, Appel B. Notch3 establishes brain vascular integrity by regulating pericyte number. Development. 2014;141:307-17 pubmed publisher..These findings establish a new role for Notch signaling in brain vascular development whereby Notch3 signaling promotes expansion of the brain pericyte population. ..
- Barrios A, Poole R, Durbin L, Brennan C, Holder N, Wilson S. Eph/Ephrin signaling regulates the mesenchymal-to-epithelial transition of the paraxial mesoderm during somite morphogenesis. Curr Biol. 2003;13:1571-82 pubmed..We propose a new role for Eph receptors and Ephrins as intercellular signaling molecules that establish cell polarity during mesenchymal-to-epithelial transition of the paraxial mesoderm. ..
- Leslie J, Ariza McNaughton L, Bermange A, McAdow R, Johnson S, Lewis J. Endothelial signalling by the Notch ligand Delta-like 4 restricts angiogenesis. Development. 2007;134:839-44 pubmed..Thus, Dll4-Notch signalling acts as an angiogenic ;off' switch by making endothelial cells unresponsive to Vegf. ..
- Covassin L, Villefranc J, Kacergis M, Weinstein B, Lawson N. Distinct genetic interactions between multiple Vegf receptors are required for development of different blood vessel types in zebrafish. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:6554-9 pubmed
- North T, Goessling W, Peeters M, Li P, Ceol C, Lord A, et al. Hematopoietic stem cell development is dependent on blood flow. Cell. 2009;137:736-48 pubmed publisher..This work links blood flow to AGM hematopoiesis and identifies NO as a conserved downstream regulator of HSC development. ..
- Lawson N, Mugford J, Diamond B, Weinstein B. phospholipase C gamma-1 is required downstream of vascular endothelial growth factor during arterial development. Genes Dev. 2003;17:1346-51 pubmed..Our results indicate that Plcg1 functions specifically downstream of the Vegf receptor during embryonic development to govern formation of the arterial system. ..
- Jülich D, Mould A, Koper E, Holley S. Control of extracellular matrix assembly along tissue boundaries via Integrin and Eph/Ephrin signaling. Development. 2009;136:2913-21 pubmed publisher..Within the tissue, interplay between Eph/Ephrin signaling, ligand-independent Integrin clustering and reciprocal Integrin inhibition restricts de novo ECM production to somite boundaries...
- Torres Vazquez J, Gitler A, Fraser S, Berk J, Van N Pham -, Fishman M, et al. Semaphorin-plexin signaling guides patterning of the developing vasculature. Dev Cell. 2004;7:117-23 pubmed..These results reveal the fundamental conservation of repulsive patterning mechanisms between axonal migration in the central nervous system and vascular endothelium during angiogenesis. ..
- Chan J, Bayliss P, Wood J, Roberts T. Dissection of angiogenic signaling in zebrafish using a chemical genetic approach. Cancer Cell. 2002;1:257-67 pubmed..This approach allowed us to examine the effects of blood flow and the role of endothelial signals in organogenesis. ..
- Covassin L, Siekmann A, Kacergis M, Laver E, Moore J, Villefranc J, et al. A genetic screen for vascular mutants in zebrafish reveals dynamic roles for Vegf/Plcg1 signaling during artery development. Dev Biol. 2009;329:212-26 pubmed publisher..Together our genetic analyses suggest that Vegf/Plcg1 signaling acts at multiple time points and in different signaling contexts to mediate distinct aspects of artery development. ..
- Jin S, Beis D, Mitchell T, Chen J, Stainier D. Cellular and molecular analyses of vascular tube and lumen formation in zebrafish. Development. 2005;132:5199-209 pubmed..These studies provide the tools and a cellular framework for the investigation of mutations affecting vasculogenesis in zebrafish. ..
- French C, Erickson T, French D, Pilgrim D, Waskiewicz A. Gdf6a is required for the initiation of dorsal-ventral retinal patterning and lens development. Dev Biol. 2009;333:37-47 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data indicate that Gdf6a initiates dorsal retinal patterning independent of Bmp4, and regulates lens differentiation. ..
- Herbert S, Huisken J, Kim T, Feldman M, Houseman B, Wang R, et al. Arterial-venous segregation by selective cell sprouting: an alternative mode of blood vessel formation. Science. 2009;326:294-8 pubmed publisher..Thus, directional control of progenitor migration drives arterial-venous segregation and generation of separate parallel vessels from a single precursor vessel, a process essential for vascular development. ..
- Cooke J, Kemp H, Moens C. EphA4 is required for cell adhesion and rhombomere-boundary formation in the zebrafish. Curr Biol. 2005;15:536-42 pubmed
- Gering M, Patient R. Hedgehog signaling is required for adult blood stem cell formation in zebrafish embryos. Dev Cell. 2005;8:389-400 pubmed..Furthermore, HSC and DA formation also share Vegf and Notch requirements, which further distinguishes them from primitive hematopoiesis and underlines their close relationship during vertebrate development. ..
- Zygmunt T, Gay C, Blondelle J, Singh M, Flaherty K, Means P, et al. Semaphorin-PlexinD1 signaling limits angiogenic potential via the VEGF decoy receptor sFlt1. Dev Cell. 2011;21:301-14 pubmed publisher..Hence, Sema-PlxnD1 signaling regulates distinct but related aspects of angiogenesis: the spatial allocation of angiogenic capacity within a primary vessel and sprout guidance. ..
- Williams C, Kim S, Ni T, Mitchell L, Ro H, Penn J, et al. Hedgehog signaling induces arterial endothelial cell formation by repressing venous cell fate. Dev Biol. 2010;341:196-204 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these studies suggest that arterial endothelial cells are specified and formed via repressing venous cell fate at the lateral plate mesoderm by Hh signaling during vasculogenesis. ..
- Erickson T, French C, Waskiewicz A. Meis1 specifies positional information in the retina and tectum to organize the zebrafish visual system. Neural Dev. 2010;5:22 pubmed publisher..By patterning both the retina and tectum, Meis1 plays an important role in establishing the retinotectal map and organizing the visual system. ..
- Lawson N, Vogel A, Weinstein B. sonic hedgehog and vascular endothelial growth factor act upstream of the Notch pathway during arterial endothelial differentiation. Dev Cell. 2002;3:127-36 pubmed..These studies reveal a complex signaling cascade responsible for establishing arterial cell fate and suggest differential effects of Vegf on developing endothelial cells. ..
- Kruse Bend R, Rosenthal J, Quist T, Veien E, Fuhrmann S, Dorsky R, et al. Extraocular ectoderm triggers dorsal retinal fate during optic vesicle evagination in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2012;371:57-65 pubmed publisher..We find that bmp2b is involved in dorsal retina initiation, acting upstream of gdf6a. Together, this work has identified the nature and source of extraocular signals required to pattern the dorsal retina. ..
- Gosse N, Baier H. An essential role for Radar (Gdf6a) in inducing dorsal fate in the zebrafish retina. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:2236-41 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Radar is near the top of a signaling cascade that establishes dorsal-ventral positional information in the retina and controls the formation of the retinotectal map. ..
- Cooke J, Moens C. Boundary formation in the hindbrain: Eph only it were simple. Trends Neurosci. 2002;25:260-7 pubmed..We discuss the contributions of two mechanisms -- cell sorting and plasticity -- to the formation of rhombomere boundaries. ..
- Sato T, Hamaoka T, Aizawa H, Hosoya T, Okamoto H. Genetic single-cell mosaic analysis implicates ephrinB2 reverse signaling in projections from the posterior tectum to the hindbrain in zebrafish. J Neurosci. 2007;27:5271-9 pubmed..These results may provide a neuroanatomical and molecular basis for the motor command map in the tectum. ..
- Wang L, Zhang P, Wei Y, Gao Y, Patient R, Liu F. A blood flow-dependent klf2a-NO signaling cascade is required for stabilization of hematopoietic stem cell programming in zebrafish embryos. Blood. 2011;118:4102-10 pubmed publisher..Taken together, we have demonstrated that blood flow is essential for HSC development and is mediated by a klf2a-NO signaling cascade in zebrafish. ..
- Durbin L, Sordino P, Barrios A, Gering M, Thisse C, Thisse B, et al. Anteroposterior patterning is required within segments for somite boundary formation in developing zebrafish. Development. 2000;127:1703-13 pubmed
- Pham V, Lawson N, Mugford J, Dye L, Castranova D, Lo B, et al. Combinatorial function of ETS transcription factors in the developing vasculature. Dev Biol. 2007;303:772-83 pubmed..Our results demonstrate that combinatorial ETS factor function is essential for early endothelial specification and differentiation. ..
- Pendeville H, Winandy M, Manfroid I, Nivelles O, Motte P, Pasque V, et al. Zebrafish Sox7 and Sox18 function together to control arterial-venous identity. Dev Biol. 2008;317:405-16 pubmed publisher..The striking similarities between the phenotype of Sox7/Sox18 morphants and Gridlock mutants strongly suggest that Sox7 and Sox18 control arterial-venous identity by regulating Gridlock expression. ..
- Bayliss P, Bellavance K, Whitehead G, Abrams J, Aegerter S, Robbins H, et al. Chemical modulation of receptor signaling inhibits regenerative angiogenesis in adult zebrafish. Nat Chem Biol. 2006;2:265-73 pubmed..This study illustrates the utility of the adult zebrafish as a new model system for receptor signaling and chemical biology. ..
- Perens E, Garavito Aguilar Z, Guio Vega G, PeÃ±a K, Schindler Y, Yelon D. Hand2 inhibits kidney specification while promoting vein formation within the posterior mesoderm. elife. 2016;5: pubmed publisher..Together, our data suggest that hand2 functions in opposition to osr1 to balance the formation of kidney and vein progenitors by regulating cell fate decisions at the lateral boundary of the IM. ..
- Rossi A, Gauvrit S, Marass M, Pan L, Moens C, Stainier D. Regulation of Vegf signaling by natural and synthetic ligands. Blood. 2016;128:2359-2366 pubmed publisher..Thus, our results show that Vegfbb, Vegfd, and Pgfb can sustain vascular development in the absence of VegfA, and our newly engineered Vegf molecules expand the toolbox for basic research and antiangiogenic therapy. ..
- Li P, Lahvic J, Binder V, Pugach E, Riley E, Tamplin O, et al. Epoxyeicosatrienoic acids enhance embryonic haematopoiesis and adult marrow engraftment. Nature. 2015;523:468-71 pubmed publisher..EETs may have clinical application in marrow or cord blood transplantation. ..
- Lu X, Wei Y, Liu F. Direct regulation of p53 by miR-142a-3p mediates the survival of hematopoietic stem and progenitor cells in zebrafish. Cell Discov. 2015;1:15027 pubmed publisher..Therefore, our work reveals the significance of the miR-142a-3p-p53 pathway in controlling hematopoietic stem and progenitor cell survival, and thus advances our understanding of the role of p53 in vertebrate hematopoiesis. ..
- D Souza J, Hendricks M, Le Guyader S, Subburaju S, Grunewald B, Scholich K, et al. Formation of the retinotectal projection requires Esrom, an ortholog of PAM (protein associated with Myc). Development. 2005;132:247-56 pubmed..These data identify a mediator of signal transduction in retinal growth cones, which is required for topographic map formation. ..
- Mei J, Liu S, Li Z, Gui J. Mtmr8 is essential for vasculature development in zebrafish embryos. BMC Dev Biol. 2010;10:96 pubmed publisher..Here, we attempt to explore the function of Mtmr8 in vasculature development parallel to its function in muscle development...
- Duong T, Koltowska K, Pichol Thievend C, Le Guen L, Fontaine F, Smith K, et al. VEGFD regulates blood vascular development by modulating SOX18 activity. Blood. 2014;123:1102-12 pubmed publisher..This work suggests that VEGFD-mediated pathologies include or involve an underlying dysregulation of SOXF-mediated transcriptional networks. ..
- Jin S, Herzog W, Santoro M, Mitchell T, Frantsve J, Jungblut B, et al. A transgene-assisted genetic screen identifies essential regulators of vascular development in vertebrate embryos. Dev Biol. 2007;307:29-42 pubmed..The analysis of the newly defined loci should lead to a greater understanding of vascular development and possibly provide new drug targets to treat the numerous pathologies associated with dysregulated blood vessel growth. ..
- Rodriguez F, Vacaru A, Overvoorde J, den Hertog J. The receptor protein-tyrosine phosphatase, Dep1, acts in arterial/venous cell fate decisions in zebrafish development. Dev Biol. 2008;324:122-30 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest a model in which Dep1 acts upstream in a signaling pathway inhibiting PI3K, resulting in expression of Notch and Grl, thus regulating arterial specification in development. ..
- Schenck A, Goto Silva L, Collinet C, Rhinn M, Giner A, Habermann B, et al. The endosomal protein Appl1 mediates Akt substrate specificity and cell survival in vertebrate development. Cell. 2008;133:486-97 pubmed publisher..We propose that partitioning of Akt and selected effectors onto endosomal compartments represents a key mechanism contributing to the specificity of signal transduction in vertebrate development. ..
- Pi Roig A, Martin Blanco E, Minguillon C. Distinct tissue-specific requirements for the zebrafish tbx5 genes during heart, retina and pectoral fin development. Open Biol. 2014;4:140014 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we uncover a novel role for tbx5 genes in the establishment of correct heart asymmetry in zebrafish embryos. ..
- Jin D, Zhu D, Fang Y, Chen Y, Yu G, Pan W, et al. Vegfa signaling regulates diverse artery/vein formation in vertebrate vasculatures. J Genet Genomics. 2017;44:483-492 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that Vegfa signaling governs the formation of diverse arteries/veins by distinct cellular mechanisms in vertebrate vasculatures. ..
- Boisset G, Schorderet D. Zebrafish hmx1 promotes retinogenesis. Exp Eye Res. 2012;105:34-42 pubmed publisher..However, the key patterning genes tested so far were not regulated by hmx1. Altogether, these results suggest an important role for hmx1 in retinogenesis. ..
- Hirashima M, Suda T. Differentiation of arterial and venous endothelial cells and vascular morphogenesis. Endothelium. 2006;13:137-45 pubmed..These insights indicate that the balance of these genetic factors and modification by epigenetic factors such as hemodynamics and oxygen tension are important for proper endothelial cell identities in vascular morphogenesis. ..
- Maves L, Kimmel C. Dynamic and sequential patterning of the zebrafish posterior hindbrain by retinoic acid. Dev Biol. 2005;285:593-605 pubmed..Our results support a new model of dynamic RA action in the hindbrain, in which a temporally increasing source of RA is required to sequentially initiate progressively more posterior rhombomere identities...
- Wilkinson R, Koudijs M, Patient R, Ingham P, Schulte Merker S, van Eeden F. Hedgehog signaling via a calcitonin receptor-like receptor can induce arterial differentiation independently of VEGF signaling in zebrafish. Blood. 2012;120:477-88 pubmed publisher..Finally, our experiments establish a dual function of Hh during induction of runx1(+) HSCs. ..
- Theodore L, Hagedorn E, Cortes M, Natsuhara K, Liu S, Perlin J, et al. Distinct Roles for Matrix Metalloproteinases 2 and 9 in Embryonic Hematopoietic Stem Cell Emergence, Migration, and Niche Colonization. Stem Cell Reports. 2017;8:1226-1241 pubmed publisher..Our findings indicate Mmp2 and Mmp9 play distinct but complementary roles in developmental HSPC production and migration. ..
- Liu Y, Berndt J, Su F, Tawarayama H, Shoji W, Kuwada J, et al. Semaphorin3D guides retinal axons along the dorsoventral axis of the tectum. J Neurosci. 2004;24:310-8 pubmed..These results suggest that Sema3D in the ventral tectum normally acts to inhibit ventral RGCs from extending into ventral tectum, ensuring their correct innervation of dorsal tectum. ..
- Therapontos C, Vargesson N. Zebrafish notch signalling pathway mutants exhibit trunk vessel patterning anomalies that are secondary to somite misregulation. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:2761-8 pubmed publisher..Ectopic filopodia are not due to loss of dll4. Somite expression of known vascular guidance cues, efnb2, sema3a2, and plexinD1 are disrupted, suggesting that the ISV vascular phenotype is due to disruption of these ..
- Chang H, Wang W, Chiu C, Chen C, Wang Y, Chen Z, et al. Ftr82 Is Critical for Vascular Patterning during Zebrafish Development. Int J Mol Sci. 2017;18: pubmed publisher..Together, we identify teleost-specific ftr82 as a vascular gene that plays an important role for vascular development in zebrafish. ..
- Tu X, Deng Y, Chen J, Hu Q, He C, Jordan J, et al. Screening study on the anti-angiogenic effects of Traditional Chinese Medicine - Part I: Heat-clearing and detoxicating TCM. J Ethnopharmacol. 2016;194:280-287 pubmed publisher..The results provide new insights into their clinical application and therapeutic potential for the management of angiogenesis-dependent diseases such as cancer. ..
- Barresi M, Hutson L, Chien C, Karlstrom R. Hedgehog regulated Slit expression determines commissure and glial cell position in the zebrafish forebrain. Development. 2005;132:3643-56 pubmed..This analysis shows that Hh signaling helps to pattern the expression of Slit guidance molecules that then help to regulate glial cell position and axon guidance across the midline of the forebrain. ..
- Li C, Lan Y, Schwartz Orbach L, Korol E, Tahiliani M, Evans T, et al. Overlapping Requirements for Tet2 and Tet3 in Normal Development and Hematopoietic Stem Cell Emergence. Cell Rep. 2015;12:1133-43 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal essential, overlapping functions for tet genes during embryonic development and uncover a requirement for 5hmC in regulating HSC production. ..
- Yu P, Gu S, Bu J, Du J. TRPC1 is essential for in vivo angiogenesis in zebrafish. Circ Res. 2010;106:1221-32 pubmed publisher..It implicates that TRPC1 may represent a potential target for treating pathological angiogenesis. ..
- Jing L, Tamplin O, Chen M, Deng Q, Patterson S, Kim P, et al. Adenosine signaling promotes hematopoietic stem and progenitor cell emergence. J Exp Med. 2015;212:649-63 pubmed publisher..5 aorta-gonad-mesonephros explants. Our results demonstrate that adenosine signaling plays an evolutionary conserved role in the first steps of HSPC formation in vertebrates. ..
- Wagle M, Grunewald B, Subburaju S, Barzaghi C, Le Guyader S, Chan J, et al. EphrinB2a in the zebrafish retinotectal system. J Neurobiol. 2004;59:57-65 pubmed..In vitro, zebrafish RGC axons are repelled by stripes of purified ephrinB2a. It is proposed that ephrinB2a may signal a subpopulation of RGC axons that they have reached their target neurons in the tectum. ..
- Cha Y, Kim S, Solnica Krezel L, DuBois R. Cyclooxygenase-1 signaling is required for vascular tube formation during development. Dev Biol. 2005;282:274-83 pubmed..Together, we provide the first evidence that COX-1 signaling is required for development of posterior mesoderm organs, specifically in the vascular tube formation and posterior nephric duct development. ..
- Du J, Yang Q, Luo L, Yang D. C1qr and C1qrl redundantly regulate angiogenesis in zebrafish through controlling endothelial Cdh5. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;483:482-487 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate that c1qr and c1qrl redundantly regulate angiogenesis through controlling the expression of the endothelial junctional molecule Cdh5, thus playing an important role in angiogenesis. ..
- Koshida S, Kishimoto Y, Ustumi H, Shimizu T, Furutani Seiki M, Kondoh H, et al. Integrinalpha5-dependent fibronectin accumulation for maintenance of somite boundaries in zebrafish embryos. Dev Cell. 2005;8:587-98 pubmed
- De Smet F, Tembuyser B, Lenard A, Claes F, Zhang J, Michielsen C, et al. Fibroblast growth factor signaling affects vascular outgrowth and is required for the maintenance of blood vessel integrity. Chem Biol. 2014;21:1310-1317 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our work illustrates the power of a small molecule probe to reveal insights into blood vessel formation and stabilization and thus of broad interest to the vascular biology community. ..
- Philipp M, Berger I, Just S, Caron M. Overlapping and opposing functions of G protein-coupled receptor kinase 2 (GRK2) and GRK5 during heart development. J Biol Chem. 2014;289:26119-30 pubmed publisher..In summary, we found that GRK2 and GRK5 control cardiac function as well as morphogenesis during development although with different morphological outcomes. ..
- Mirando A, Fang P, Williams T, Baldor L, Howe A, Ebert A, et al. Aminoacyl-tRNA synthetase dependent angiogenesis revealed by a bioengineered macrolide inhibitor. Sci Rep. 2015;5:13160 pubmed publisher..Bioengineered natural products are thus useful tools in unmasking the cryptic functions of conventional enzymes in the regulation of complex processes in higher metazoans. ..
- So J, Hong S, Kim H, Jung S, Lee M, Choi J, et al. Gicerin/Cd146 is involved in zebrafish cardiovascular development and tumor angiogenesis. Genes Cells. 2010;15:1099-110 pubmed publisher..Thus, knock-down of gicerin might have an important implication in controlling tumor angiogenesis. ..
- Stevenson T, Trinh T, Kogelschatz C, Fujimoto E, Lush M, Piotrowski T, et al. Hypoxia disruption of vertebrate CNS pathfinding through ephrinB2 Is rescued by magnesium. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1002638 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that evolutionarily conserved genetic pathways regulate connectivity changes in the CNS in response to hypoxia, and they support a potential neuroprotective role for magnesium. ..
- McMillen P, Chatti V, JÃ¼lich D, Holley S. A Sawtooth Pattern of Cadherin 2 Stability Mechanically Regulates Somite Morphogenesis. Curr Biol. 2016;26:542-9 pubmed publisher..Throughout somitogenesis, Cdh2 promotes ECM assembly along tissue boundaries and inhibits ECM assembly in the tissue mesenchyme. ..
- Li R, Wu T, Mou Y, Wang Y, Chen C, Wu C. Nr2f1b control venous specification and angiogenic patterning during zebrafish vascular development. J Biomed Sci. 2015;22:104 pubmed publisher..We show nr2f1b control venous specification and angiogenic patterning during zebrafish vascular development, which is mediated by Notch signalings. ..
- Guiu J, Bergen D, de Pater E, Islam A, AyllÃ³n V, Gama Norton L, et al. Identification of Cdca7 as a novel Notch transcriptional target involved in hematopoietic stem cell emergence. J Exp Med. 2014;211:2411-23 pubmed publisher..Thus, our study identifies Cdca7 as an evolutionary conserved Notch target involved in HSC emergence. ..
- Burns C, Traver D, Mayhall E, Shepard J, Zon L. Hematopoietic stem cell fate is established by the Notch-Runx pathway. Genes Dev. 2005;19:2331-42 pubmed..These data define the Notch-Runx pathway as critical for the developmental specification of HSC fate and the subsequent homeostasis of HSC number, thus providing a mechanism for amplifying stem cells in vivo...
- Begemann G, Schilling T, Rauch G, Geisler R, Ingham P. The zebrafish neckless mutation reveals a requirement for raldh2 in mesodermal signals that pattern the hindbrain. Development. 2001;128:3081-94 pubmed