Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: dlx6a
Description: distal-less homeobox 6a
Alias: dlx6, homeobox protein Dlx6a, DLX-6, distal-less homeobox gene 6a, distal-less homeobox protein 6a
- Zuniga E, Stellabotte F, Crump J. Jagged-Notch signaling ensures dorsal skeletal identity in the vertebrate face. Development. 2010;137:1843-52 pubmed publisher..Together, these results indicate a novel function of Jagged-Notch signaling in ensuring dorsal identity within broad fields of facial skeletal precursors. ..
- Birnbaum R, Everman D, Murphy K, Gurrieri F, Schwartz C, Ahituv N. Functional characterization of tissue-specific enhancers in the DLX5/6 locus. Hum Mol Genet. 2012;21:4930-8 pubmed publisher..In addition, they highlight specific enhancers in which mutations could lead to non-syndromic hearing loss, craniofacial defects or limb malformations. ..
- Verreijdt L, Debiais Thibaud M, Borday Birraux V, Van der Heyden C, Sire J, Huysseune A. Expression of the dlx gene family during formation of the cranial bones in the zebrafish (Danio rerio): differential involvement in the visceral skeleton and braincase. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:1371-89 pubmed..Whether dlx genes originally functioned in the visceral skeleton only, and whether their involvement in the formation of neurocranial bones (as in mammals) is secondary, awaits clarification. ..
- Mione M, Baldessari D, Deflorian G, Nappo G, Santoriello C. How neuronal migration contributes to the morphogenesis of the CNS: insights from the zebrafish. Dev Neurosci. 2008;30:65-81 pubmed..These examples reinforce the concept that migratory events contribute to the distribution of cell types with diverse identities through the CNS and that zebrafish transgenic lines represent excellent tools to study these events. ..
- Debiais Thibaud M, Metcalfe C, Pollack J, Germon I, Ekker M, Depew M, et al. Heterogeneous conservation of Dlx paralog co-expression in jawed vertebrates. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e68182 pubmed publisher..Regulatory constraints such as shared enhancers, and functional constraints including gene pleiotropy, may have contributed to the evolutionary inertia leading to high redundancy between gene expression patterns. ..
- Miller C, Swartz M, Khuu P, Walker M, Eberhart J, Kimmel C. mef2ca is required in cranial neural crest to effect Endothelin1 signaling in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2007;308:144-57 pubmed..mef2ca plays a critical role in establishing the proper nested expression patterns of dlx genes. dlx5a and dlx6a, known Edn1 targets, are downregulated in mef2ca mutant pharyngeal arch CNC...
- Wang X, Lee J, Dorsky R. Identification of Wnt-responsive cells in the zebrafish hypothalamus. Zebrafish. 2009;6:49-58 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that canonical Wnt signaling may be functionally required for maintenance of neural progenitor and precursor pools in the embryo, and for ongoing neurogenesis in the adult zebrafish. ..
- Alvarado E, Yousefelahiyeh M, Alvarado G, Shang R, Whitman T, MARTINEZ A, et al. Wdr68 Mediates Dorsal and Ventral Patterning Events for Craniofacial Development. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0166984 pubmed publisher..While ISL treatment failed, SB431542 partially rescued dlx2a expression in wdr68 mutants. Together these findings reveal an indirect role for Wdr68 in the BMP-Edn1-Jag1b signaling hierarchy and dorso-anterior expression of dlx1a/2a. ..
- Levkowitz G, Zeller J, Sirotkin H, French D, Schilbach S, Hashimoto H, et al. Zinc finger protein too few controls the development of monoaminergic neurons. Nat Neurosci. 2003;6:28-33 pubmed..Our results indicate that tof/fezl is a key component in regulating the development of monoaminergic neurons in the vertebrate brain. ..
- Wang X, Kopinke D, Lin J, McPherson A, Duncan R, Otsuna H, et al. Wnt signaling regulates postembryonic hypothalamic progenitor differentiation. Dev Cell. 2012;23:624-36 pubmed publisher..This study establishes the vertebrate hypothalamus as a model for Wnt-regulated postembryonic neural progenitor differentiation and defines specific roles for Wnt signaling in neurogenesis. ..
- Walker M, Miller C, Coffin Talbot J, Stock D, Kimmel C. Zebrafish furin mutants reveal intricacies in regulating Endothelin1 signaling in craniofacial patterning. Dev Biol. 2006;295:194-205 pubmed
- Choudhry P, Joshi D, Funke B, Trede N. Alcama mediates Edn1 signaling during zebrafish cartilage morphogenesis. Dev Biol. 2011;349:483-93 pubmed publisher..1 during chondrogenesis. Collectively our results support a model by which Alcama on the endoderm interacts with Nadl1.1 on NC to mediate Edn1 signaling and NC differentiation during chondrogenesis. ..
- Amores A, Force A, Yan Y, Joly L, Amemiya C, Fritz A, et al. Zebrafish hox clusters and vertebrate genome evolution. Science. 1998;282:1711-4 pubmed..Thus, teleosts, the most species-rich group of vertebrates, appear to have more copies of these developmental regulatory genes than do mammals, despite less complexity in the anterior-posterior axis. ..
- Zhu P, Narita Y, Bundschuh S, Fajardo O, Schärer Y, Chattopadhyaya B, et al. Optogenetic Dissection of Neuronal Circuits in Zebrafish using Viral Gene Transfer and the Tet System. Front Neural Circuits. 2009;3:21 pubmed publisher..These approaches provide new opportunities for the optogenetic dissection of neuronal circuit structure and function. ..
- Walker M, Miller C, Swartz M, Eberhart J, Kimmel C. phospholipase C, beta 3 is required for Endothelin1 regulation of pharyngeal arch patterning in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2007;304:194-207 pubmed
- Heude E, Shaikho S, Ekker M. The dlx5a/dlx6a genes play essential roles in the early development of zebrafish median fin and pectoral structures. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e98505 pubmed publisherThe Dlx5 and Dlx6 genes encode homeodomain transcription factors essential for the proper development of limbs in mammalian species. However, the role of their teleost counterparts in fin development has received little attention...
- Iklé J, Tavares A, King M, Ding H, Colombo S, Firulli B, et al. Nkx2.5 regulates endothelin converting enzyme-1 during pharyngeal arch patterning. Genesis. 2017;55: pubmed publisher..5 functions through modulating Ece1 expression or function. These studies illustrate a new function for Nkx2.5 in embryonic development and provide new avenues with which to pursue potential mechanisms underlying human facial disorders. ..
- Sundstrom G, Larsson T, Brenner S, Venkatesh B, Larhammar D. Evolution of the neuropeptide Y family: new genes by chromosome duplications in early vertebrates and in teleost fishes. Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2008;155:705-16 pubmed..Our study shows that when sequence comparisons give ambiguous results, chromosomal location can serve as a useful criterion to identify orthologs. This strategy may help to resolve relationships in several families of short peptides. ..
- Fisher S, Jagadeeswaran P, Halpern M. Radiographic analysis of zebrafish skeletal defects. Dev Biol. 2003;264:64-76 pubmed..Radiography is a practical screening tool to detect subtle skeletal abnormalities in the adult zebrafish. The identification of chihuahua demonstrates that mutant phenotypes analogous to human skeletal dysplasias will be discovered. ..
- Nissen R, Amsterdam A, Hopkins N. A zebrafish screen for craniofacial mutants identifies wdr68 as a highly conserved gene required for endothelin-1 expression. BMC Dev Biol. 2006;6:28 pubmed..The initial characterization of wdr68 suggests an important role in craniofacial development for the highly conserved Wdr68-Dyrk1 protein complexes. ..