Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: dlx5a
Description: distal-less homeobox 5a
Alias: dlx4, zgc:101787, homeobox protein Dlx5a, distal-less homeobox gene 4, distal-less homeobox gene 5a, distal-less homeobox protein 5a
- Verreijdt L, Debiais Thibaud M, Borday Birraux V, Van der Heyden C, Sire J, Huysseune A. Expression of the dlx gene family during formation of the cranial bones in the zebrafish (Danio rerio): differential involvement in the visceral skeleton and braincase. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:1371-89 pubmed..Whether dlx genes originally functioned in the visceral skeleton only, and whether their involvement in the formation of neurocranial bones (as in mammals) is secondary, awaits clarification. ..
- Zuniga E, Stellabotte F, Crump J. Jagged-Notch signaling ensures dorsal skeletal identity in the vertebrate face. Development. 2010;137:1843-52 pubmed publisher..Together, these results indicate a novel function of Jagged-Notch signaling in ensuring dorsal identity within broad fields of facial skeletal precursors. ..
- Stock D, Ellies D, Zhao Z, Ekker M, Ruddle F, Weiss K. The evolution of the vertebrate Dlx gene family. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1996;93:10858-63 pubmed..Determination of the linkage relationship of these additional zebrafish Dlx genes to Hox clusters should help resolve this issue. ..
- Abe G, Ide H, Tamura K. Function of FGF signaling in the developmental process of the median fin fold in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2007;304:355-66 pubmed..Using expressions of three genes, dlx5a, sp9 and fgf24, as markers of different phases of fold development, our findings suggest that the early process of ..
- Zerucha T, Stühmer T, Hatch G, Park B, Long Q, Yu G, et al. A highly conserved enhancer in the Dlx5/Dlx6 intergenic region is the site of cross-regulatory interactions between Dlx genes in the embryonic forebrain. J Neurosci. 2000;20:709-21 pubmed..This hypothesis is supported by cotransfection and DNA-protein binding experiments. We propose that the Dlx genes are part of a highly conserved developmental pathway that regulates forebrain development. ..
- Zuniga E, Rippen M, Alexander C, Schilling T, Crump J. Gremlin 2 regulates distinct roles of BMP and Endothelin 1 signaling in dorsoventral patterning of the facial skeleton. Development. 2011;138:5147-56 pubmed publisher..2 and three Dlx genes (dlx3b, dlx5a and dlx6a) in intermediate precursors...
- Borday Birraux V, Van der Heyden C, Debiais Thibaud M, Verreijdt L, Stock D, Huysseune A, et al. Expression of Dlx genes during the development of the zebrafish pharyngeal dentition: evolutionary implications. Evol Dev. 2006;8:130-41 pubmed
- MacDonald R, Debiais Thibaud M, Talbot J, Ekker M. The relationship between dlx and gad1 expression indicates highly conserved genetic pathways in the zebrafish forebrain. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:2298-306 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate the dlx genes are regulated by an evolutionarily conserved genetic pathway and may play a role in GABAergic interneuron differentiation in the zebrafish forebrain...
- Barske L, Askary A, Zuniga E, Balczerski B, Bump P, Nichols J, et al. Competition between Jagged-Notch and Endothelin1 Signaling Selectively Restricts Cartilage Formation in the Zebrafish Upper Face. PLoS Genet. 2016;12:e1005967 pubmed publisher..These findings support a model in which Notch-mediated restriction of cartilage differentiation, particularly in the second pharyngeal arch, helps to establish a distinct skeletal pattern in the upper face. ..
- Manoli M, Driever W. nkx2.1 and nkx2.4 genes function partially redundant during development of the zebrafish hypothalamus, preoptic region, and pallidum. Front Neuroanat. 2014;8:145 pubmed publisher..1 is specifically involved in the development of rostral ventral forebrain including the pallidum and preoptic regions, whereas nkx2.4a and nkx2.4b control the intermediate and caudal hypothalamus. ..
- Johnson C, Hernandez Lagunas L, Feng W, Melvin V, Williams T, Artinger K. Vgll2a is required for neural crest cell survival during zebrafish craniofacial development. Dev Biol. 2011;357:269-81 pubmed publisher..Overall, our data reveal a novel non-cell autonomous role for Vgll2a in development of the NCC-derived vertebrate craniofacial skeleton. ..
- Zhang J, Jeradi S, Strahle U, Akimenko M. Laser ablation of the sonic hedgehog-a-expressing cells during fin regeneration affects ray branching morphogenesis. Dev Biol. 2012;365:424-33 pubmed publisher..This study reveals the fin ray as a new accessible system to investigate epithelial-mesenchymal interactions leading to organ branching. ..
- Ganz J, Kaslin J, Freudenreich D, Machate A, Geffarth M, Brand M. Subdivisions of the adult zebrafish subpallium by molecular marker analysis. J Comp Neurol. 2012;520:633-55 pubmed publisher..We identify the boundary between the pallium and subpallium based on the complementary expression of dlx2a, dlx5a in the subpallium and tbr1, neurod in the pallium. Furthermore, combinatorial expression of Isl, nkx2...
- Wang X, Kopinke D, Lin J, McPherson A, Duncan R, Otsuna H, et al. Wnt signaling regulates postembryonic hypothalamic progenitor differentiation. Dev Cell. 2012;23:624-36 pubmed publisher..This study establishes the vertebrate hypothalamus as a model for Wnt-regulated postembryonic neural progenitor differentiation and defines specific roles for Wnt signaling in neurogenesis. ..
- Mathew L, Sengupta S, Ladu J, Andreasen E, Tanguay R. Crosstalk between AHR and Wnt signaling through R-Spondin1 impairs tissue regeneration in zebrafish. FASEB J. 2008;22:3087-96 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these results indicate that inappropriate regulation of R-Spondin/LRP6 is absolutely required for TCDD to inhibit fin regeneration. ..
- Walker M, Miller C, Coffin Talbot J, Stock D, Kimmel C. Zebrafish furin mutants reveal intricacies in regulating Endothelin1 signaling in craniofacial patterning. Dev Biol. 2006;295:194-205 pubmed
- Iklé J, Tavares A, King M, Ding H, Colombo S, Firulli B, et al. Nkx2.5 regulates endothelin converting enzyme-1 during pharyngeal arch patterning. Genesis. 2017;55: pubmed publisher..5 functions through modulating Ece1 expression or function. These studies illustrate a new function for Nkx2.5 in embryonic development and provide new avenues with which to pursue potential mechanisms underlying human facial disorders. ..
- Walker M, Miller C, Swartz M, Eberhart J, Kimmel C. phospholipase C, beta 3 is required for Endothelin1 regulation of pharyngeal arch patterning in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2007;304:194-207 pubmed
- Zhu P, Narita Y, Bundschuh S, Fajardo O, Schärer Y, Chattopadhyaya B, et al. Optogenetic Dissection of Neuronal Circuits in Zebrafish using Viral Gene Transfer and the Tet System. Front Neural Circuits. 2009;3:21 pubmed publisher..These approaches provide new opportunities for the optogenetic dissection of neuronal circuit structure and function. ..
- Heude E, Shaikho S, Ekker M. The dlx5a/dlx6a genes play essential roles in the early development of zebrafish median fin and pectoral structures. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e98505 pubmed publisher..Here, we show that dlx5a is an early marker of apical ectodermal cells of the pectoral fin buds and of the median fin fold, but also of ..
- Amores A, Force A, Yan Y, Joly L, Amemiya C, Fritz A, et al. Zebrafish hox clusters and vertebrate genome evolution. Science. 1998;282:1711-4 pubmed..Thus, teleosts, the most species-rich group of vertebrates, appear to have more copies of these developmental regulatory genes than do mammals, despite less complexity in the anterior-posterior axis. ..
- Plessy C, Dickmeis T, Chalmel F, Strahle U. Enhancer sequence conservation between vertebrates is favoured in developmental regulator genes. Trends Genet. 2005;21:207-10 pubmed
- Mahler J, Filippi A, Driever W. DeltaA/DeltaD regulate multiple and temporally distinct phases of notch signaling during dopaminergic neurogenesis in zebrafish. J Neurosci. 2010;30:16621-35 pubmed publisher..Rather, DeltaA/D limits the size of the sim1a- and otpa-expressing precursor pool from which dopaminergic neurons differentiate. ..
- Choudhry P, Joshi D, Funke B, Trede N. Alcama mediates Edn1 signaling during zebrafish cartilage morphogenesis. Dev Biol. 2011;349:483-93 pubmed publisher..1 during chondrogenesis. Collectively our results support a model by which Alcama on the endoderm interacts with Nadl1.1 on NC to mediate Edn1 signaling and NC differentiation during chondrogenesis. ..
- Nissen R, Amsterdam A, Hopkins N. A zebrafish screen for craniofacial mutants identifies wdr68 as a highly conserved gene required for endothelin-1 expression. BMC Dev Biol. 2006;6:28 pubmed..The initial characterization of wdr68 suggests an important role in craniofacial development for the highly conserved Wdr68-Dyrk1 protein complexes. ..
- Alexander C, Piloto S, Le Pabic P, Schilling T. Wnt signaling interacts with bmp and edn1 to regulate dorsal-ventral patterning and growth of the craniofacial skeleton. PLoS Genet. 2014;10:e1004479 pubmed publisher..arches of heat-shocked embryos show reduced proliferation, expression of ventral patterning genes (hand2, dlx3b, dlx5a, msxe), and ventral cartilage differentiation (e.g. lower jaws)...
- Mathew L, Sengupta S, Franzosa J, Perry J, La Du J, Andreasen E, et al. Comparative expression profiling reveals an essential role for raldh2 in epimorphic regeneration. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:33642-53 pubmed publisher..Expression of raldh2 is regulated by Wnt and fibroblast growth factor/ERK signaling. ..
- Tallafuss A, Kelly M, Gay L, Gibson D, Batzel P, Karfilis K, et al. Transcriptomes of post-mitotic neurons identify the usage of alternative pathways during adult and embryonic neuronal differentiation. BMC Genomics. 2015;16:1100 pubmed publisher..This important insight and the lists of enriched genes we have identified will now help pave the way to a better understanding of the mechanisms of embryonic and adult neuronal differentiation and how to manipulate these processes. ..
- Sundstrom G, Larsson T, Brenner S, Venkatesh B, Larhammar D. Evolution of the neuropeptide Y family: new genes by chromosome duplications in early vertebrates and in teleost fishes. Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2008;155:705-16 pubmed..Our study shows that when sequence comparisons give ambiguous results, chromosomal location can serve as a useful criterion to identify orthologs. This strategy may help to resolve relationships in several families of short peptides. ..
- Ton Q, Iovine M. Identification of an evx1-dependent joint-formation pathway during FIN regeneration. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e81240 pubmed publisher..First, we identify three genes that influence joint formation, evx1, dlx5a, and mmp9...
- Herget U, Wolf A, Wullimann M, Ryu S. Molecular neuroanatomy and chemoarchitecture of the neurosecretory preoptic-hypothalamic area in zebrafish larvae. J Comp Neurol. 2014;522:1542-64 pubmed publisher..Our results show striking conservation of transcription factor expression (otp, arx, dlx5a, isl1) in and around the NPO/PVN together with neuropeptide expression within it...
- Solek C, Feng S, Perin S, Weinschutz Mendes H, Ekker M. Lineage tracing of dlx1a/2a and dlx5a/6a expressing cells in the developing zebrafish brain. Dev Biol. 2017;427:131-147 pubmed publisher..We have found that dlx1a/2a and dlx5a/6a expressing progenitors give rise, for the most part, to small populations of cells which constitute only a ..
- Schebesta M, Lien C, Engel F, Keating M. Transcriptional profiling of caudal fin regeneration in zebrafish. ScientificWorldJournal. 2006;6 Suppl 1:38-54 pubmed..as differentially expressed during regeneration, and (3) in situ hybridization of the up-regulated genes bambi, dlx5A, and her6...
- Debiais Thibaud M, Metcalfe C, Pollack J, Germon I, Ekker M, Depew M, et al. Heterogeneous conservation of Dlx paralog co-expression in jawed vertebrates. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e68182 pubmed publisher..Regulatory constraints such as shared enhancers, and functional constraints including gene pleiotropy, may have contributed to the evolutionary inertia leading to high redundancy between gene expression patterns. ..
- Ishida T, Nakajima T, Kudo A, Kawakami A. Phosphorylation of Junb family proteins by the Jun N-terminal kinase supports tissue regeneration in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2010;340:468-79 pubmed publisher..Thus, our data suggest that the transcriptional and post-transcriptional controls of junbs and their protein products are the important regulative steps that enable tissue regeneration in zebrafish. ..
- Garaffo G, Provero P, Molineris I, Pinciroli P, Peano C, Battaglia C, et al. Profiling, Bioinformatic, and Functional Data on the Developing Olfactory/GnRH System Reveal Cellular and Molecular Pathways Essential for This Process and Potentially Relevant for the Kallmann Syndrome. Front Endocrinol (Lausanne). 2013;4:203 pubmed publisher..A number of candidate will be discussed, that should be tested in future mutation screens. ..
- Mathew L, Sengupta S, Kawakami A, Andreasen E, LOHR C, Loynes C, et al. Unraveling tissue regeneration pathways using chemical genetics. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:35202-10 pubmed..These studies also demonstrate the feasibility of exploiting chemical genetics to define the pathways that govern vertebrate regeneration. ..
- Miller C, Swartz M, Khuu P, Walker M, Eberhart J, Kimmel C. mef2ca is required in cranial neural crest to effect Endothelin1 signaling in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2007;308:144-57 pubmed..mef2ca plays a critical role in establishing the proper nested expression patterns of dlx genes. dlx5a and dlx6a, known Edn1 targets, are downregulated in mef2ca mutant pharyngeal arch CNC...
- Sarras M, Leontovich A, Olsen A, Intine R. Impaired tissue regeneration corresponds with altered expression of developmental genes that persists in the metabolic memory state of diabetic zebrafish. Wound Repair Regen. 2013;21:320-8 pubmed publisher..The aberrant expression of key regulatory genes in the DM state that persist into the MM state provides a plausible explanation on how hyperglycemia induced impaired fin regeneration in the adult zebrafish DM/MM model. ..
- Suzuki N, Hanmoto T, Yano S, Furusawa Y, Ikegame M, Tabuchi Y, et al. Low-intensity pulsed ultrasound induces apoptosis in osteoclasts: Fish scales are a suitable model for the analysis of bone metabolism by ultrasound. Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol. 2016;195:26-31 pubmed publisher..Thus, we are the first to demonstrate that LIPUS directly functions to osteoclasts and to conclude that LIPUS directly causes apoptosis in osteoclasts shortly after exposure. ..
- Hauptmann G, Söll I, Gerster T. The early embryonic zebrafish forebrain is subdivided into molecularly distinct transverse and longitudinal domains. Brain Res Bull. 2002;57:371-5 pubmed..Furthermore, we identified a series of eight transverse diencephalic domains which may indicate a prosomeric organization of the rostral zebrafish brain. ..
- Ellies D, Langille R, Martin C, Akimenko M, Ekker M. Specific craniofacial cartilage dysmorphogenesis coincides with a loss of dlx gene expression in retinoic acid-treated zebrafish embryos. Mech Dev. 1997;61:23-36 pubmed
- Kitamura K, Takahira K, Inari M, Satoh Y, Hayakawa K, Tabuchi Y, et al. Zebrafish scales respond differently to in vitro dynamic and static acceleration: analysis of interaction between osteoblasts and osteoclasts. Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol. 2013;166:74-80 pubmed publisher..The results of the present study indicated that osteoclasts have predominant control over bone metabolism via semaphorin 4D expression induced by static acceleration at 3.0×g. ..
- Wang X, Lee J, Dorsky R. Identification of Wnt-responsive cells in the zebrafish hypothalamus. Zebrafish. 2009;6:49-58 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that canonical Wnt signaling may be functionally required for maintenance of neural progenitor and precursor pools in the embryo, and for ongoing neurogenesis in the adult zebrafish. ..
- Solomon K, Kudoh T, Dawid I, Fritz A. Zebrafish foxi1 mediates otic placode formation and jaw development. Development. 2003;130:929-40 pubmed..In addition, foxi1 is expressed in the developing branchial arches, and jaw formation is disrupted in hearsay mutant embryos. ..