Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: dlc
Alias: delC, delta-like protein C, bea, beamter
- Oates A, Rohde L, Ho R. Generation of segment polarity in the paraxial mesoderm of the zebrafish through a T-box-dependent inductive event. Dev Biol. 2005;283:204-14 pubmed
- Kawamura A, Koshida S, Hijikata H, Ohbayashi A, Kondoh H, Takada S. Groucho-associated transcriptional repressor ripply1 is required for proper transition from the presomitic mesoderm to somites. Dev Cell. 2005;9:735-44 pubmed..Thus, ripply1 plays dual roles in the transition from the PSM to somites: termination of the segmentation program in the PSM and maintenance of the rostrocaudal polarity. ..
- Mara A, Schroeder J, Chalouni C, Holley S. Priming, initiation and synchronization of the segmentation clock by deltaD and deltaC. Nat Cell Biol. 2007;9:523-30 pubmed..Oscillations of adjacent cells are synchronized and amplified by deltaC in the posterior presomitic mesoderm as cell movement subsides and cells maintain stable neighbour relationships. ..
- Akanuma T, Koshida S, Kawamura A, Kishimoto Y, Takada S. Paf1 complex homologues are required for Notch-regulated transcription during somite segmentation. EMBO Rep. 2007;8:858-63 pubmed..Therefore, zebrafish homologues of the yeast Paf1 complex seem to preferentially affect a subset of genes, including Notch-regulated genes, during embryogenesis. ..
- Sieger D, Ackermann B, Winkler C, Tautz D, Gajewski M. her1 and her13.2 are jointly required for somitic border specification along the entire axis of the fish embryo. Dev Biol. 2006;293:242-51 pubmed..In addition, our results suggest that the mechanisms for anterior and posterior somite formation are not principally different, although the anterior somites often seem more refractory to genetic perturbations. ..
- Takke C, Campos Ortega J. her1, a zebrafish pair-rule like gene, acts downstream of notch signalling to control somite development. Development. 1999;126:3005-14 pubmed..Whereas notch signalling alone apparently does not affect myogenesis, zebrafish groucho2 is involved in differentiation of mesodermal derivatives. ..
- Stickney H, Barresi M, Devoto S. Somite development in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2000;219:287-303 pubmed..We show directly, for the first time, that muscle cell and sclerotome migrations occur at the same time. We end with a look at the many questions about somitogenesis that are still unanswered. ..
- Janicke M, Carney T, Hammerschmidt M. Foxi3 transcription factors and Notch signaling control the formation of skin ionocytes from epidermal precursors of the zebrafish embryo. Dev Biol. 2007;307:258-71 pubmed..A model for ionocyte versus keratinocyte development will be presented, postulating additional thus far unidentified pro-ionocyte factors. ..
- Jülich D, Hwee Lim C, Round J, Nicolaije C, Schroeder J, Davies A, et al. beamter/deltaC and the role of Notch ligands in the zebrafish somite segmentation, hindbrain neurogenesis and hypochord differentiation. Dev Biol. 2005;286:391-404 pubmed..Here, we show that the final member of the group, beamter (bea), codes for the Notch ligand DeltaC, and we present and characterize two new alleles, including one allele ..
- Oates A, Mueller C, Ho R. Cooperative function of deltaC and her7 in anterior segment formation. Dev Biol. 2005;280:133-49 pubmed..we looked at anterior segmentation after morpholino knock down of the cyclic cell-surface Notch ligand deltaC (dlc), either alone or in combination with her7, or other Delta/Notch pathway genes...
- Riedel Kruse I, Müller C, Oates A. Synchrony dynamics during initiation, failure, and rescue of the segmentation clock. Science. 2007;317:1911-5 pubmed
- Giudicelli F, Ozbudak E, Wright G, Lewis J. Setting the tempo in development: an investigation of the zebrafish somite clock mechanism. PLoS Biol. 2007;5:e150 pubmed
- Hsiao C, You M, Guh Y, Ma M, Jiang Y, Hwang P. A positive regulatory loop between foxi3a and foxi3b is essential for specification and differentiation of zebrafish epidermal ionocytes. PLoS ONE. 2007;2:e302 pubmed
- Choorapoikayil S, Willems B, Ströhle P, Gajewski M. Analysis of her1 and her7 mutants reveals a spatio temporal separation of the somite clock module. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e39073 pubmed publisher..Together, this data indicates the existence of an independent and genetically separable anterior and posterior deltaC clock modules in the presomitic mesdorm (PSM). ..
- Burns C, Traver D, Mayhall E, Shepard J, Zon L. Hematopoietic stem cell fate is established by the Notch-Runx pathway. Genes Dev. 2005;19:2331-42 pubmed..These data define the Notch-Runx pathway as critical for the developmental specification of HSC fate and the subsequent homeostasis of HSC number, thus providing a mechanism for amplifying stem cells in vivo...
- Chang W, Horng J, Yan J, Hsiao C, Hwang P. The transcription factor, glial cell missing 2, is involved in differentiation and functional regulation of H+-ATPase-rich cells in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2009;296:R1192-201 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, functional regulation of HR cells is probably achieved by enhancing cell differentiation via zGCM2 activation. ..
- Kawakami Y, Raya A, Raya R, Rodriguez Esteban C, Izpisua Belmonte J. Retinoic acid signalling links left-right asymmetric patterning and bilaterally symmetric somitogenesis in the zebrafish embryo. Nature. 2005;435:165-71 pubmed
- Esaki M, Hoshijima K, Nakamura N, Munakata K, Tanaka M, Ookata K, et al. Mechanism of development of ionocytes rich in vacuolar-type H(+)-ATPase in the skin of zebrafish larvae. Dev Biol. 2009;329:116-29 pubmed publisher..These observations provide a better understanding of the differentiation and distribution of the vH-MRC subtype. ..
- van Eeden F, Granato M, Schach U, Brand M, Furutani Seiki M, Haffter P, et al. Mutations affecting somite formation and patterning in the zebrafish, Danio rerio. Development. 1996;123:153-64 pubmed..Later, irregular boundaries between somites are present. Mutations in fused somites (fss) and beamter (bea) affect all somites, whereas mutations in deadly seven (des), after eight (aei) and white tail (wit) only ..
- Herrgen L, Ares S, Morelli L, Schroter C, Jülicher F, Oates A. Intercellular coupling regulates the period of the segmentation clock. Curr Biol. 2010;20:1244-53 pubmed publisher..Here we ask whether Delta-Notch coupling additionally influences the collective period of the segmentation clock...
- Leslie J, Ariza McNaughton L, Bermange A, McAdow R, Johnson S, Lewis J. Endothelial signalling by the Notch ligand Delta-like 4 restricts angiogenesis. Development. 2007;134:839-44 pubmed..Thus, Dll4-Notch signalling acts as an angiogenic ;off' switch by making endothelial cells unresponsive to Vegf. ..
- Schroter C, Ares S, Morelli L, Isakova A, Hens K, Soroldoni D, et al. Topology and dynamics of the zebrafish segmentation clock core circuit. PLoS Biol. 2012;10:e1001364 pubmed publisher..The control of the circuit's dynamics by a population of dimers with and without DNA binding activity is a new principle for the segmentation clock and may be relevant to other biological clocks and transcriptional regulatory networks. ..
- Mara A, Schroeder J, Holley S. Two deltaC splice-variants have distinct signaling abilities during somitogenesis and midline patterning. Dev Biol. 2008;318:126-32 pubmed publisher..Moreover, it illustrates the importance of cell-type-dependent modifiers of Notch signaling in providing ligand specificity. ..
- Henry C, McNulty I, Durst W, Munchel S, Amacher S. Interactions between muscle fibers and segment boundaries in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2005;287:346-60 pubmed..Combined, our results indicate that multiple interactions between somite boundaries and muscle fibers mediate zebrafish segmentation. ..
- Shankaran S, Sieger D, Schroter C, Czepe C, Pauly M, Laplante M, et al. Completing the set of h/E(spl) cyclic genes in zebrafish: her12 and her15 reveal novel modes of expression and contribute to the segmentation clock. Dev Biol. 2007;304:615-32 pubmed..We propose that this creates a segmentation oscillator that varies in biochemical composition depending on position in the PSM. ..
- Lu X, Li X, He Q, Gao J, Gao Y, Liu B, et al. miR-142-3p regulates the formation and differentiation of hematopoietic stem cells in vertebrates. Cell Res. 2013;23:1356-68 pubmed publisher..Together, these findings unveil the pivotal roles that miR-142a-3p plays in the formation and differentiation of HSCs by repressing irf7 signaling...
- Uribe R, Kwon T, Marcotte E, Gross J. Id2a functions to limit Notch pathway activity and thereby influence the transition from proliferation to differentiation of retinoblasts during zebrafish retinogenesis. Dev Biol. 2012;371:280-92 pubmed publisher..These data highlight the integral role played by Id2a in the gene regulatory network governing the transition from retinoblast proliferation to terminal differentiation during vertebrate retinogenesis. ..
- Jacobs N, Albertson R, Wiles J. Using whole mount in situ hybridization to link molecular and organismal biology. J Vis Exp. 2011;: pubmed publisher..This gives upper level college students the opportunity to practice modern biological research techniques, leading to a more diversified education and the promotion of future interdisciplinary scientific research. ..
- Kim A, Melick C, Clements W, Stachura D, Distel M, PanÃ¡kovÃ¡ D, et al. Discrete Notch signaling requirements in the specification of hematopoietic stem cells. EMBO J. 2014;33:2363-73 pubmed publisher..lies downstream of Wnt16, which is required for HSC specification through its regulation of two Notch ligands, dlc and dld...
- Jülich D, Geisler R, Holley S. Integrinalpha5 and delta/notch signaling have complementary spatiotemporal requirements during zebrafish somitogenesis. Dev Cell. 2005;8:575-86 pubmed..Our data suggest that notch- and integrinalpha5-dependent cell polarization and Fibronectin matrix assembly occur concomitantly and interdependently during border morphogenesis. ..
- Kikuchi Y, Verkade H, Reiter J, Kim C, Chitnis A, Kuroiwa A, et al. Notch signaling can regulate endoderm formation in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2004;229:756-62 pubmed..Altogether, these results suggest that Notch signaling plays a role in the formation of the endoderm, possibly in its segregation from the mesoderm. ..
- Sarmah B, Winfrey V, Olson G, Appel B, Wente S. A role for the inositol kinase Ipk1 in ciliary beating and length maintenance. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:19843-8 pubmed..However, coincident knockdown of Ipk1 and IFT88 or IFT57 had synergistic perturbations. With GFP-Ipk1 enriched in centrosomes and basal bodies, we propose that Ipk1 plays a previously uncharacterized role in ciliary function. ..
- Wang L, Zhang P, Wei Y, Gao Y, Patient R, Liu F. A blood flow-dependent klf2a-NO signaling cascade is required for stabilization of hematopoietic stem cell programming in zebrafish embryos. Blood. 2011;118:4102-10 pubmed publisher..Taken together, we have demonstrated that blood flow is essential for HSC development and is mediated by a klf2a-NO signaling cascade in zebrafish. ..
- Veldman M, Lin S. Etsrp/Etv2 is directly regulated by Foxc1a/b in the zebrafish angioblast. Circ Res. 2012;110:220-9 pubmed publisher..These findings identify mesodermal foxc1a/b as a direct upstream regulator of etsrp in angioblasts. This establishes a new molecular link in the process of mesoderm specification into angioblast. ..
- Cheng C, Wingert R. Nephron proximal tubule patterning and corpuscles of Stannius formation are regulated by the sim1a transcription factor and retinoic acid in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2015;399:100-116 pubmed publisher..These findings provide new insights into the genetic pathways that direct nephron development, and may have implications for understanding renal birth defects and kidney reprogramming. ..
- Wang J, Wu Y, Zhao F, Wu Y, Dong W, Zhao J, et al. Fgf-signaling-dependent Sox9a and Atoh1a regulate otic neural development in zebrafish. J Neurosci. 2015;35:234-44 pubmed publisher..These newly uncovered roles for Atoh1and Sox9 in zebrafish otic development may be relevant to study in other species. ..
- Palardy G, Chitnis A. Identification of the Mind Bomb1 Interaction Domain in Zebrafish DeltaD. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0127864 pubmed publisher..As a result, ectopic expression of DeltaD lacking an effective MID results in a failure of Notch-mediated lateral inhibition and a neurogenic phenotype. ..
- Bugeon L, Taylor H, Progatzky F, Lin M, Ellis C, Welsh N, et al. The NOTCH pathway contributes to cell fate decision in myelopoiesis. Haematologica. 2011;96:1753-60 pubmed publisher..We have used genetic approaches, employing two Notch zebrafish mutants deadly seven (DES) and beamter (BEA) with disrupted function of notch1a and deltaC, respectively, and Notch1a morphants to analyze the ..
- Zeng X, Wilm T, Sepich D, Solnica Krezel L. Apelin and its receptor control heart field formation during zebrafish gastrulation. Dev Cell. 2007;12:391-402 pubmed..Our results implicate GPCR signaling in movements of discrete cell populations that establish organ rudiments during vertebrate gastrulation. ..
- Pasini A, Jiang Y, Wilkinson D. Two zebrafish Notch-dependent hairy/Enhancer-of-split-related genes, her6 and her4, are required to maintain the coordination of cyclic gene expression in the presomitic mesoderm. Development. 2004;131:1529-41 pubmed
- Wright D, Ferjentsik Z, Chong S, Qiu X, Yun Jin J, Malapert P, et al. Cyclic Nrarp mRNA expression is regulated by the somitic oscillator but Nrarp protein levels do not oscillate. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:3043-3055 pubmed publisher..Despite oscillating mRNA levels, Nrarp protein does not oscillate in the PSM. Finally, neither gain nor loss of Nrarp function interferes with the normal expression of Notch-related cyclic genes. ..
- Soni K, Choudhary A, Patowary A, Singh A, Bhatia S, Sivasubbu S, et al. miR-34 is maternally inherited in Drosophila melanogaster and Danio rerio. Nucleic Acids Res. 2013;41:4470-80 pubmed publisher..Here, we report for the first time, the maternal inheritance of an miRNA involved in development of the neuronal system in a vertebrate model system. ..
- Fongang B, Kudlicki A. Comparison between Timelines of Transcriptional Regulation in Mammals, Birds, and Teleost Fish Somitogenesis. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0155802 pubmed publisher..Our research lays the groundwork for further studies that will probe the evolution of the regulatory mechanism of segmentation across all vertebrates. ..
- Dias T, Yang Y, Ogai K, Becker T, Becker C. Notch signaling controls generation of motor neurons in the lesioned spinal cord of adult zebrafish. J Neurosci. 2012;32:3245-52 pubmed publisher..This demonstrates that Notch is a negative signal for regenerative neurogenesis, and, importantly, that spinal motor neuron regeneration can be augmented in an adult vertebrate by inhibiting Notch signaling. ..
- Brend T, Holley S. Zebrafish whole mount high-resolution double fluorescent in situ hybridization. J Vis Exp. 2009;: pubmed publisher..When combined with computer-aided reconstruction of 3D confocal datasets, our protocol allows the detailed analysis of mRNA distribution with sub-cellular resolution in whole vertebrate embryos. ..
- Saude L, Lourenço R, Gonçalves A, Palmeirim I. terra is a left-right asymmetry gene required for left-right synchronization of the segmentation clock. Nat Cell Biol. 2005;7:918-20 pubmed..Here, we show that terra is an early left-sided expressed gene that links left-right patterning with bilateral synchronization of the segmentation clock. ..
- Taylor S, Alvarez Delfin K, Saade C, Thomas J, Thummel R, Fadool J, et al. The bHLH Transcription Factor NeuroD Governs Photoreceptor Genesis and Regeneration Through Delta-Notch Signaling. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2015;56:7496-515 pubmed publisher..In contrast, during embryonic development, NeuroD governs photoreceptor maturation via mechanisms that are independent of Notch signaling. ..
- Hayes M, Gao X, Yu L, Paria N, Henkelman R, Wise C, et al. ptk7 mutant zebrafish models of congenital and idiopathic scoliosis implicate dysregulated Wnt signalling in disease. Nat Commun. 2014;5:4777 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest novel molecular origins of, and genetic links between, congenital and idiopathic forms of disease. ..
- Wright G, Leslie J, Ariza McNaughton L, Lewis J. Delta proteins and MAGI proteins: an interaction of Notch ligands with intracellular scaffolding molecules and its significance for zebrafish development. Development. 2004;131:5659-69 pubmed..They do, however, show an anomalous distribution of Rohon-Beard neurons in the dorsal neural tube, suggesting that the Delta-MAGI interaction may play some part in the control of neuron migration. ..
- Eom D, Bain E, Patterson L, Grout M, Parichy D. Long-distance communication by specialized cellular projections during pigment pattern development and evolution. elife. 2015;4: pubmed publisher..Our study reveals a novel mechanism of cellular communication, roles for differentiation state heterogeneity in pigment cell interactions, and an unanticipated morphogenetic behavior contributing to a striking difference in adult form. ..
- Wan J, Ramachandran R, Goldman D. HB-EGF is necessary and sufficient for Müller glia dedifferentiation and retina regeneration. Dev Cell. 2012;22:334-47 pubmed publisher..These data provide a link between extracellular signaling and regeneration-associated gene expression in the injured retina and suggest strategies for stimulating retina regeneration in mammals. ..
- Okigawa S, Mizoguchi T, Okano M, Tanaka H, Isoda M, Jiang Y, et al. Different combinations of Notch ligands and receptors regulate V2 interneuron progenitor proliferation and V2a/V2b cell fate determination. Dev Biol. 2014;391:196-206 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, V2-IN cell progenitor proliferation and V2a/V2b cell fate determination involve signaling through different sets of Notch ligand-receptor combinations that occur concurrently during development in zebrafish. ..
- Del Bene F, Wehman A, Link B, Baier H. Regulation of neurogenesis by interkinetic nuclear migration through an apical-basal notch gradient. Cell. 2008;134:1055-65 pubmed publisher..Our data indicate that the function of INM is to balance the exposure of progenitor nuclei to neurogenic versus proliferative signals. ..
- Jahangiri L, Nelson A, Wardle F. A cis-regulatory module upstream of deltaC regulated by Ntla and Tbx16 drives expression in the tailbud, presomitic mesoderm and somites. Dev Biol. 2012;371:110-20 pubmed publisher..Notch pathway components, such as deltaC (dlc) have been shown to play a role in this process, while the T-box transcription factors Ntla and Tbx16 regulate ..
- Shaw K, Castranova D, Pham V, Kamei M, Kidd K, Lo B, et al. fused-somites-like mutants exhibit defects in trunk vessel patterning. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:1753-60 pubmed..The four mutants are allelic to previously characterized mutants at the fused-somites (fss) and beamter (bea) loci, and they exhibit comparable defects in trunk somite boundary formation...
- Therapontos C, Vargesson N. Zebrafish notch signalling pathway mutants exhibit trunk vessel patterning anomalies that are secondary to somite misregulation. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:2761-8 pubmed publisherThe Notch signalling pathway mutants, after-eight (aei), beamter (bea), and deadly-seven (des) have previously been used to study somitogenesis and neurogenesis. Notch signalling has also been shown to have roles in vascular development...
- Wang Y, Pan L, Moens C, Appel B. Notch3 establishes brain vascular integrity by regulating pericyte number. Development. 2014;141:307-17 pubmed publisher..These findings establish a new role for Notch signaling in brain vascular development whereby Notch3 signaling promotes expansion of the brain pericyte population. ..
- Li J, Yue Y, Dong X, Jia W, Li K, Liang D, et al. Zebrafish foxc1a plays a crucial role in early somitogenesis by restricting the expression of aldh1a2 directly. J Biol Chem. 2015;290:10216-28 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results demonstrate that foxc1a plays an essential role in early somitogenesis by controlling Fgf and Notch signaling through restricting the expression of aldh1a2 in paraxial mesoderm directly. ..
- Cermenati S, Moleri S, Cimbro S, Corti P, Del Giacco L, Amodeo R, et al. Sox18 and Sox7 play redundant roles in vascular development. Blood. 2008;111:2657-66 pubmed..Our data suggest that a defect in arteriovenous identity could be responsible for the formation of telangiectases in patients with HLT. ..
- Hirashima M, Suda T. Differentiation of arterial and venous endothelial cells and vascular morphogenesis. Endothelium. 2006;13:137-45 pubmed..These insights indicate that the balance of these genetic factors and modification by epigenetic factors such as hemodynamics and oxygen tension are important for proper endothelial cell identities in vascular morphogenesis. ..
- Dyer C, Linker C, Graham A, Knight R. Specification of sensory neurons occurs through diverse developmental programs functioning in the brain and spinal cord. Dev Dyn. 2014;243:1429-39 pubmed publisher..Our work reveals fundamental differences between the development of MTN and RB neurons and suggests that these populations are non-homologous and thus have distinct developmental and, probably, evolutionary origins. ..
- Li Y, Cheng C, Verdun V, Wingert R. Zebrafish nephrogenesis is regulated by interactions between retinoic acid, mecom, and Notch signaling. Dev Biol. 2014;386:111-22 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our studies have revealed several essential and novel mechanisms that control pronephros development in the zebrafish. ..
- Kimura Y, Satou C, Higashijima S. V2a and V2b neurons are generated by the final divisions of pair-producing progenitors in the zebrafish spinal cord. Development. 2008;135:3001-5 pubmed publisher..We report that the terminal division of pair-producing progenitor cells in vertebrate neurogenesis can reproducibly produce two distinct neurons through a mechanism that may not depend on the orientation of the division axis. ..
- Sacilotto N, Monteiro R, Fritzsche M, Becker P, Sánchez del Campo L, Liu K, et al. Analysis of Dll4 regulation reveals a combinatorial role for Sox and Notch in arterial development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:11893-8 pubmed publisher..Fascinatingly, this combinatorial ablation leads to a loss of arterial markers and the absence of a detectable dorsal aorta, demonstrating the essential roles of SoxF and Notch, together, in the acquisition of arterial identity. ..