Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: dla
Alias: cb335, fa04c10, wu:fa04c10, delta-like protein A
- Dong Z, Yang N, Yeo S, Chitnis A, Guo S. Intralineage directional Notch signaling regulates self-renewal and differentiation of asymmetrically dividing radial glia. Neuron. 2012;74:65-78 pubmed publisher..These findings reveal with single-cell resolution how self-renewal and differentiation become precisely segregated within asymmetrically dividing neural progenitor/stem lineages. ..
- Park H, Appel B. Delta-Notch signaling regulates oligodendrocyte specification. Development. 2003;130:3747-55 pubmed..Our data provide evidence that Notch signaling maintains subsets of ventral spinal cord precursors during neuronal birth and, acting with other temporally and spatially restricted factors, specifies them for oligodendrocyte fate. ..
- Smithers L, Haddon C, Jiang Y, Lewis J. Sequence and embryonic expression of deltaC in the zebrafish. Mech Dev. 2000;90:119-23 pubmed..There is expression also in notochord, blood vessels and pronephros. ..
- Ma E, Rubel E, Raible D. Notch signaling regulates the extent of hair cell regeneration in the zebrafish lateral line. J Neurosci. 2008;28:2261-73 pubmed publisher..Excess hair cells result from increased support cell proliferation. These results suggest a model where Notch signaling limits the number of hair cells produced during regeneration by regulating support cell proliferation. ..
- Geling A, Plessy C, Rastegar S, Strahle U, Bally Cuif L. Her5 acts as a prepattern factor that blocks neurogenin1 and coe2 expression upstream of Notch to inhibit neurogenesis at the midbrain-hindbrain boundary. Development. 2004;131:1993-2006 pubmed..Together our data demonstrate a role of Her5 as a prepattern factor in the spatial definition of proneural domains in the zebrafish neural plate, in a manner similar to its Drosophila homologue Hairy. ..
- Riley B, Chiang M, Storch E, Heck R, Buckles G, Lekven A. Rhombomere boundaries are Wnt signaling centers that regulate metameric patterning in the zebrafish hindbrain. Dev Dyn. 2004;231:278-91 pubmed..wnt1, wnt3a, wnt8b, and wnt10b) show elevated expression at rhombomere boundaries, whereas several delta genes (dlA, dlB, and dlD) are expressed in transverse stripes flanking rhombomere boundaries...
- Diks S, Bink R, van de Water S, Joore J, van Rooijen C, Verbeek F, et al. The novel gene asb11: a regulator of the size of the neural progenitor compartment. J Cell Biol. 2006;174:581-92 pubmed..We conclude that d-Asb11 is a novel regulator of the neuronal progenitor compartment size by maintaining the neural precursors in the proliferating undifferentiated state possibly through the control of SoxB1 transcription factors. ..
- Amoyel M, Cheng Y, Jiang Y, Wilkinson D. Wnt1 regulates neurogenesis and mediates lateral inhibition of boundary cell specification in the zebrafish hindbrain. Development. 2005;132:775-85 pubmed..The network of genes underlying the regulation of neurogenesis and lateral inhibition of boundary cell formation by Wnt1 has a striking similarity to mechanisms at the dorsoventral boundary in the Drosophila wing imaginal disc. ..
- Cornell R, Eisen J. Delta signaling mediates segregation of neural crest and spinal sensory neurons from zebrafish lateral neural plate. Development. 2000;127:2873-82 pubmed..Cranial neural crest derivatives are also present in deltaA mutants, revealing a genetic difference in regulation of trunk and cranial neural crest development. ..
- Itoh M, Kim C, Palardy G, Oda T, Jiang Y, Maust D, et al. Mind bomb is a ubiquitin ligase that is essential for efficient activation of Notch signaling by Delta. Dev Cell. 2003;4:67-82 pubmed..This facilitates intramembranous cleavage of the remaining Notch receptor, release of the Notch intracellular fragment, and activation of target genes in neighboring cells. ..
- Bae Y, Shimizu T, Hibi M. Patterning of proneuronal and inter-proneuronal domains by hairy- and enhancer of split-related genes in zebrafish neuroectoderm. Development. 2005;132:1375-85 pubmed..These data indicate that her3 and her9 function as prepattern genes that link the positional dorsoventral polarity information in the posterior neuroectoderm to the spatial regulation of neurogenesis. ..
- Cheng Y, Amoyel M, Qiu X, Jiang Y, Xu Q, Wilkinson D. Notch activation regulates the segregation and differentiation of rhombomere boundary cells in the zebrafish hindbrain. Dev Cell. 2004;6:539-50 pubmed..These findings reveal that Notch activation couples the regulation of location and differentiation in hindbrain boundary cells. Such coupling may be important for these cells to act as a stable signaling center. ..
- Hozumi S, Hirabayashi R, Yoshizawa A, Ogata M, Ishitani T, Tsutsumi M, et al. DEAD-box protein Ddx46 is required for the development of the digestive organs and brain in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e33675 pubmed publisher..Therefore, our results suggest a model in which zebrafish Ddx46 is required for the development of the digestive organs and brain, possibly through the control of pre-mRNA splicing. ..
- Kantarci H, Edlund R, Groves A, Riley B. Tfap2a promotes specification and maturation of neurons in the inner ear through modulation of Bmp, Fgf and notch signaling. PLoS Genet. 2015;11:e1005037 pubmed publisher..Together, these data support a model in which Tfap2a, acting through Bmp7a, modulates Fgf and Notch signaling to control the duration, amount and speed of SAG neural development. ..
- Rothschild S, Lahvic J, Francescatto L, McLeod J, Burgess S, Tombes R. CaMK-II activation is essential for zebrafish inner ear development and acts through Delta-Notch signaling. Dev Biol. 2013;381:179-88 pubmed publisher..Continued expression and activation of CaMK-II in maculae and cristae in older embryos suggests continued roles in auditory sensory maturation and transduction. ..
- Park S, Yeo S, Yoo K, Hong S, Lee S, Rhee M, et al. Zath3, a neural basic helix-loop-helix gene, regulates early neurogenesis in the zebrafish. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2003;308:184-90 pubmed..This study suggests that zath3 and ngn1 have partially overlapping roles in early neurogenesis. ..
- Soni K, Choudhary A, Patowary A, Singh A, Bhatia S, Sivasubbu S, et al. miR-34 is maternally inherited in Drosophila melanogaster and Danio rerio. Nucleic Acids Res. 2013;41:4470-80 pubmed publisher..Here, we report for the first time, the maternal inheritance of an miRNA involved in development of the neuronal system in a vertebrate model system. ..
- Riley B, Sweet E, Heck R, Evans A, McFarland K, Warga R, et al. Characterization of harpy/Rca1/emi1 mutants: patterning in the absence of cell division. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:828-43 pubmed publisher..Despite relatively normal gross patterning, harpy mutants show several defects in morphogenesis, cell migration and differentiation resulting directly or indirectly from the arrest of cell division. ..
- Madelaine R, Garric L, Blader P. Partially redundant proneural function reveals the importance of timing during zebrafish olfactory neurogenesis. Development. 2011;138:4753-62 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the duration of proneural expression in EON progenitors is crucial for correct development of the zebrafish olfactory system. ..
- Mahler J, Filippi A, Driever W. DeltaA/DeltaD regulate multiple and temporally distinct phases of notch signaling during dopaminergic neurogenesis in zebrafish. J Neurosci. 2010;30:16621-35 pubmed publisher..of dopaminergic precursor pools, as olig2 expression in ventral diencephalic dopaminergic precursors is affected in dla/dld mutants. DeltaA/D act upstream of sim1a and otpa during dopaminergic specification...
- Yao S, Cheng M, Zhang Q, Wasik M, Kelsh R, Winkler C. Anaplastic lymphoma kinase is required for neurogenesis in the developing central nervous system of zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e63757 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that tightly controlled alk expression is critical for the balance between neural progenitor proliferation, differentiation and survival during embryonic neurogenesis...
- Gui J, Greene C, Sullivan C, Taylor W, Moore J, KIM C. Testing multiple hypotheses through IMP weighted FDR based on a genetic functional network with application to a new zebrafish transcriptome study. BioData Min. 2015;8:17 pubmed publisher..We compared the mRNA expression for each group and found over 200 differentially expressed genes and several enriched pathways including defense response pathways, arsenic response pathways, and the Notch signaling pathway. ..
- Keller M, Chitnis A. Insights into the evolutionary history of the vertebrate zic3 locus from a teleost-specific zic6 gene in the zebrafish, Danio rerio. Dev Genes Evol. 2007;217:541-7 pubmed..We present evidence that zic6 is an ancestral locus arising by chromosomal duplication early in the Euteleostomi that was subsequently lost in the terrestrial vertebrates. ..
- Qin W, Chen Z, Zhang Y, Yan R, Yan G, Li S, et al. Nom1 mediates pancreas development by regulating ribosome biogenesis in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e100796 pubmed publisher..This suggests that targeting Pp1? into the nucleolus by Nom1 is important for pancreatic proliferation. Altogether, our studies revealed a new mechanism involving Nom1 in controlling vertebrate exocrine pancreas formation. ..
- Mizoguchi T, Togawa S, Kawakami K, Itoh M. Neuron and sensory epithelial cell fate is sequentially determined by Notch signaling in zebrafish lateral line development. J Neurosci. 2011;31:15522-30 pubmed publisher..Since Notch signaling also affects hair cell fate determination at a later stage, our study suggests that Notch signaling has dual, time-dependent roles in specifying multiple cell types during pLL development. ..
- Geudens I, Herpers R, Hermans K, Segura I, Ruiz de Almodovar C, Bussmann J, et al. Role of delta-like-4/Notch in the formation and wiring of the lymphatic network in zebrafish. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2010;30:1695-702 pubmed publisher..At a later phase, Notch silencing impaired navigation of lymphatic intersomitic vessels along their arterial templates. These studies imply critical roles for Notch signaling in the formation and wiring of the lymphatic network. ..
- Dozawa M, Kono H, Sato Y, Ito Y, Tanaka H, Ohshima T. Valproic acid, a histone deacetylase inhibitor, regulates cell proliferation in the adult zebrafish optic tectum. Dev Dyn. 2014;243:1401-15 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that VPA inhibits HDAC activity and upregulates Notch signaling to reduce cell proliferation in the optic tectum of adult zebrafish. ..
- Leitch C, Lodh S, Prieto EchagÃ¼e V, Badano J, Zaghloul N. Basal body proteins regulate Notch signaling through endosomal trafficking. J Cell Sci. 2014;127:2407-19 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest a role for these proteins in the regulation of Notch through endosomal trafficking of the receptor. ..
- He Y, Wang Z, Sun S, Tang D, Li W, Chai R, et al. HDAC3 Is Required for Posterior Lateral Line Development in Zebrafish. Mol Neurobiol. 2016;53:5103-17 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that HDAC3 plays a crucial role in regulating posterior lateral line (PLL) formation and provide evidence for epigenetic regulation in auditory organ development. ..
- Cheng Y, Hsieh F, Chiang M, Scotting P, Shih H, Lin S, et al. Akt1 mediates neuronal differentiation in zebrafish via a reciprocal interaction with notch signaling. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e54262 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results provide in vivo evidence that Akt1 interacts with Notch signaling reciprocally and provide an explanation of why Akt1 is essential for the inhibition of neuronal differentiation. ..
- Hsieh F, Ma T, Shih H, Lin S, Huang C, Wang H, et al. Dner inhibits neural progenitor proliferation and induces neuronal and glial differentiation in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2013;375:1-12 pubmed publisher..This is the first study to demonstrate a role for Dner in neural progenitors and neuronal differentiation and provides new insights into mediation of neuronal development and differentiation by the Notch signaling pathway. ..
- Romero Carvajal A, Navajas Acedo J, Jiang L, Kozlovskaja GumbrienÄ— A, Alexander R, Li H, et al. Regeneration of Sensory Hair Cells Requires Localized Interactions between the Notch and Wnt Pathways. Dev Cell. 2015;34:267-82 pubmed publisher..The striking similaritiesÂ toÂ other vertebrate stem cell compartments uniquely place zebrafish to help elucidate why mammals possess such low capacity to regenerate hair cells. ..
- Schebesta M, Serluca F. olig1 Expression identifies developing oligodendrocytes in zebrafish and requires hedgehog and notch signaling. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:887-98 pubmed publisher..Lastly, knockdown of Olig1 in an Olig2-sensitized background did result in defects in CNS myelination, indicating a functional overlap between Olig1 and Olig2 proteins. ..
- Filippi A, Tiso N, Deflorian G, Zecchin E, Bortolussi M, Argenton F. The basic helix-loop-helix olig3 establishes the neural plate boundary of the trunk and is necessary for development of the dorsal spinal cord. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:4377-82 pubmed..Thus, a proper regulation of the olig gene family is essential for the formation of three cell types (oligodendrocytes, astrocytes, and neural crest) that are unique to vertebrates. ..
- Nechiporuk A, Raible D. FGF-dependent mechanosensory organ patterning in zebrafish. Science. 2008;320:1774-7 pubmed publisher..This previously unrecognized mechanism may be applicable to understanding segmentation and morphogenesis in other organ systems. ..
- Takano A, Zochi R, Hibi M, Terashima T, Katsuyama Y. Expression of strawberry notch family genes during zebrafish embryogenesis. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:1789-96 pubmed publisher..Together, the observed gene expression patterns suggest an important role of sbno-family genes during development of the vertebrate central nervous system. ..
- Dyer C, Linker C, Graham A, Knight R. Specification of sensory neurons occurs through diverse developmental programs functioning in the brain and spinal cord. Dev Dyn. 2014;243:1429-39 pubmed publisher..Our work reveals fundamental differences between the development of MTN and RB neurons and suggests that these populations are non-homologous and thus have distinct developmental and, probably, evolutionary origins. ..
- McFarland K, Warga R, Kane D. Genetic locus half baked is necessary for morphogenesis of the ectoderm. Dev Dyn. 2005;233:390-406 pubmed
- Palardy G, Chitnis A. Identification of the Mind Bomb1 Interaction Domain in Zebrafish DeltaD. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0127864 pubmed publisher..As a result, ectopic expression of DeltaD lacking an effective MID results in a failure of Notch-mediated lateral inhibition and a neurogenic phenotype. ..
- He Y, Tang D, Li W, Chai R, Li H. Histone deacetylase 1 is required for the development of the zebrafish inner ear. Sci Rep. 2016;6:16535 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results indicate that HDAC1 plays an important role in otic vesicle formation. ..
- Yurco P, Cameron D. Cellular correlates of proneural and Notch-delta gene expression in the regenerating zebrafish retina. Vis Neurosci. 2007;24:437-43 pubmed..A model of vertebrate retinal repair is suggested in which damage-induced expression of proneural genes, plus canonical Notch-Delta signaling, could contribute to retinal stem cell promotion and subsequent regenerative neurogenesis. ..
- Chun C, Remadevi I, Schupp M, Samant G, Pramanik K, Wilkinson G, et al. Fli+ etsrp+ hemato-vascular progenitor cells proliferate at the lateral plate mesoderm during vasculogenesis in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e14732 pubmed publisher..This study for the first time defines factors controlling proliferation, and cell numbers of pre-migratory FEVPs in zebrafish. ..
- Gonzalez Quevedo R, Lee Y, Poss K, Wilkinson D. Neuronal regulation of the spatial patterning of neurogenesis. Dev Cell. 2010;18:136-47 pubmed publisher..Fgf20a mutants have ectopic neurogenesis and lack the segment center progenitor population. Our findings reveal how signaling from neurons induces formation of a nonneurogenic zone of neural progenitors. ..
- Cau E, Quillien A, Blader P. Notch resolves mixed neural identities in the zebrafish epiphysis. Development. 2008;135:2391-401 pubmed publisher..We propose a novel model in which Notch resolves mixed neural identities by repressing an undesired genetic program. ..
- Dias T, Yang Y, Ogai K, Becker T, Becker C. Notch signaling controls generation of motor neurons in the lesioned spinal cord of adult zebrafish. J Neurosci. 2012;32:3245-52 pubmed publisher..This demonstrates that Notch is a negative signal for regenerative neurogenesis, and, importantly, that spinal motor neuron regeneration can be augmented in an adult vertebrate by inhibiting Notch signaling. ..
- Uribe R, Kwon T, Marcotte E, Gross J. Id2a functions to limit Notch pathway activity and thereby influence the transition from proliferation to differentiation of retinoblasts during zebrafish retinogenesis. Dev Biol. 2012;371:280-92 pubmed publisher..These data highlight the integral role played by Id2a in the gene regulatory network governing the transition from retinoblast proliferation to terminal differentiation during vertebrate retinogenesis. ..
- Delfino Machin M, Madelaine R, Busolin G, Nikaido M, Colanesi S, Camargo Sosa K, et al. Sox10 contributes to the balance of fate choice in dorsal root ganglion progenitors. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0172947 pubmed publisher..Sox10 is thus a key transcription factor in achieving the balance of sensory neuronal and glial fates. ..
- Janicke M, Carney T, Hammerschmidt M. Foxi3 transcription factors and Notch signaling control the formation of skin ionocytes from epidermal precursors of the zebrafish embryo. Dev Biol. 2007;307:258-71 pubmed..A model for ionocyte versus keratinocyte development will be presented, postulating additional thus far unidentified pro-ionocyte factors. ..
- Imai H, Oomiya Y, Kikkawa S, Shoji W, Hibi M, Terashima T, et al. Dynamic changes in the gene expression of zebrafish Reelin receptors during embryogenesis and hatching period. Dev Growth Differ. 2012;54:253-63 pubmed publisher..These results suggest a possibility that duplication and subsequent functional diversity of Reelin receptors contributed to the morphological and functional evolution of vertebrate brain. ..
- Madelaine R, Sloan S, Huber N, Notwell J, Leung L, Skariah G, et al. MicroRNA-9 Couples Brain Neurogenesis and Angiogenesis. Cell Rep. 2017;20:1533-1542 pubmed publisher..Because of this dual role on neural stem cell proliferation and angiogenesis, miR-9 and its downstream targets are promising factors for cellular regenerative therapy following stroke and for brain tumor treatment. ..
- Madelaine R, Blader P. A cluster of non-redundant Ngn1 binding sites is required for regulation of deltaA expression in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2011;350:198-207 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that evolutionary constraints on the mechanism by which Ngn1 regulates gene expression appear less strict than for Ascl1. ..
- Sobieszczuk D, Poliakov A, Xu Q, Wilkinson D. A feedback loop mediated by degradation of an inhibitor is required to initiate neuronal differentiation. Genes Dev. 2010;24:206-18 pubmed publisher..These findings reveal a feedback loop mediated by degradation of an inhibitor that is essential for progenitors to undergo the transition to neuronal differentiation. ..
- McGraw H, Snelson C, Prendergast A, Suli A, Raible D. Postembryonic neuronal addition in zebrafish dorsal root ganglia is regulated by Notch signaling. Neural Dev. 2012;7:23 pubmed publisher..Postembryonic growth of the zebrafish DRG comes about, in part, by addition of new neurons from a resident progenitor population, a process regulated by Notch signaling. ..
- Bayramli X, Kocagoz Y, Sakizli U, Fuss S. Patterned Arrangements of Olfactory Receptor Gene Expression in Zebrafish are Established by Radial Movement of Specified Olfactory Sensory Neurons. Sci Rep. 2017;7:5572 pubmed publisher..We formulated a simple mathematical model based on exact parameters derived from our analysis of OSN neurogenesis, which accurately generates OR-like distributions without the need to invoke molecular signals to pattern the OE. ..
- Alunni A, Krecsmarik M, Bosco A, Galant S, Pan L, Moens C, et al. Notch3 signaling gates cell cycle entry and limits neural stem cell amplification in the adult pallium. Development. 2013;140:3335-47 pubmed publisher..They implicate Notch3 at the top of this hierarchy to gate NSC activation and amplification, protecting the homeostasis of adult NSC reservoirs under physiological conditions. ..
- Xing C, Gong B, Xue Y, Han Y, Wang Y, Meng A, et al. TGFÎ²1a regulates zebrafish posterior lateral line formation via Smad5 mediated pathway. J Mol Cell Biol. 2015;7:48-61 pubmed publisher..Therefore, TGFÎ²/Smad5 signaling plays an important role in the zebrafish lateral line formation. ..
- Matsuda M, Chitnis A. Atoh1a expression must be restricted by Notch signaling for effective morphogenesis of the posterior lateral line primordium in zebrafish. Development. 2010;137:3477-87 pubmed publisher..Together, our observations reveal a genetic regulatory network that explains why atoh1a expression must be restricted by Notch signaling for effective morphogenesis of the pLLp. ..
- Sugiyama K, Nishide K, Matsuo H, Okigawa S, Okano M, Ishitani T, et al. Delta1 family members are involved in filopodial actin formation and neuronal cell migration independent of Notch signaling. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2010;398:118-24 pubmed publisher..We further identified a Notch-independent role of DeltaD in neuronal cell migration in zebrafish. These findings suggest a possible functional link between Notch-independent filopodial activity of Delta and the control of cell motility. ..
- Okigawa S, Mizoguchi T, Okano M, Tanaka H, Isoda M, Jiang Y, et al. Different combinations of Notch ligands and receptors regulate V2 interneuron progenitor proliferation and V2a/V2b cell fate determination. Dev Biol. 2014;391:196-206 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, V2-IN cell progenitor proliferation and V2a/V2b cell fate determination involve signaling through different sets of Notch ligand-receptor combinations that occur concurrently during development in zebrafish. ..
- Wan J, Ramachandran R, Goldman D. HB-EGF is necessary and sufficient for Müller glia dedifferentiation and retina regeneration. Dev Cell. 2012;22:334-47 pubmed publisher..These data provide a link between extracellular signaling and regeneration-associated gene expression in the injured retina and suggest strategies for stimulating retina regeneration in mammals. ..
- Dutta S, Dietrich J, Westerfield M, Varga Z. Notch signaling regulates endocrine cell specification in the zebrafish anterior pituitary. Dev Biol. 2008;319:248-57 pubmed publisher..We propose that Notch mediated lateral inhibition regulates the relative numbers of specified hormone cell types in the three pituitary subdomains. ..
- Cheng Y, Chiang M, Shih H, Ma T, Yeh T, Huang Y, et al. The transcription factor hairy/E(spl)-related 2 induces proliferation of neural progenitors and regulates neurogenesis and gliogenesis. Dev Biol. 2015;397:116-28 pubmed publisher..Together, these two mechanisms ensure the proper development of the neural progenitor cell pool. ..
- Gulati Leekha A, Goldman D. A reporter-assisted mutagenesis screen using alpha 1-tubulin-GFP transgenic zebrafish uncovers missteps during neuronal development and axonogenesis. Dev Biol. 2006;296:29-47 pubmed..Molecular identification of these loci and analysis of the remaining mutational repertoire will offer unique insights into the genetic inputs that go on to make a mature, differentiated neuron. ..