Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: dio2
Description: iodothyronine deiodinase 2
Alias: Deio2, cb684, type II iodothyronine deiodinase, deiodinase, iodothyronine, type II
- Yu L, Zhao G, Feng M, Wen W, Li K, Zhang P, et al. Chronic exposure to pentachlorophenol alters thyroid hormones and thyroid hormone pathway mRNAs in zebrafish. Environ Toxicol Chem. 2014;33:170-6 pubmed publisher..also identified several sex-specific effects of PCP exposure, including changes in mRNA levels for deiodinase 2 (dio2), cytosolic sulfotransferase (sult1 st5), and transthyretin (ttr) genes in the liver...
- Houbrechts A, Vergauwen L, Bagci E, Van Houcke J, Heijlen M, Kulemeka B, et al. Deiodinase knockdown affects zebrafish eye development at the level of gene expression, morphology and function. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2016;424:81-93 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate the importance of TH-activating and -inactivating Ds for correct zebrafish eye development, and point to D3b as a central player. ..
- Liu C, Yu H, Zhang X. Zebrafish embryos/larvae for rapid determination of effects on hypothalamic-pituitary-thyroid (HPT) and hypothalamic-pituitary-interrenal (HPI) axis: mRNA expression. Chemosphere. 2013;93:2327-32 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we studied the effects of PTU or MET on the cross-talk between HPT and HPI axis. The results demonstrated that PTU and MET could affect cross-talk responses in zebrafish embryos/larvae. ..
- Marelli F, Carra S, Agostini M, Cotelli F, Peeters R, Chatterjee K, et al. Patterns of thyroid hormone receptor expression in zebrafish and generation of a novel model of resistance to thyroid hormone action. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2016;424:102-17 pubmed publisher..A combined modification of dio2 and dio3 expression can explain the high T3/T4 ratio seen in thraa_MOs, as in RTHÎ±...
- Zhai W, Huang Z, Chen L, Feng C, Li B, Li T. Thyroid endocrine disruption in zebrafish larvae after exposure to mono-(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate (MEHP). PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e92465 pubmed publisher..The upregulation of genes related to thyroid hormone metabolism (Dio2 and UGT1ab) might be responsible for decreased T4 contents...
- Han Z, Li Y, Zhang S, Song N, Xu H, Dang Y, et al. Prenatal transfer of decabromodiphenyl ether (BDE-209) results in disruption of the thyroid system and developmental toxicity in zebrafish offspring. Aquat Toxicol. 2017;190:46-52 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that exposure of parent zebrafish to BDE-209 can cause developmental toxicity in offspring and disruption of the thyroid endocrine system of offspring. ..
- Baumann L, Ros A, Rehberger K, Neuhauss S, Segner H. Thyroid disruption in zebrafish (Danio rerio) larvae: Different molecular response patterns lead to impaired eye development and visual functions. Aquat Toxicol. 2016;172:44-55 pubmed publisher..chemicals significantly altered transcript levels of thyroid system-related genes (TRÎ±, TRÎ², TPO, TSH, DIO1, DIO2 and DIO3) in a compound-specific way...
- Liu L, Li Y, Coelhan M, Chan H, Ma W, Liu L. Relative developmental toxicity of short-chain chlorinated paraffins in Zebrafish (Danio rerio) embryos. Environ Pollut. 2016;219:1122-1130 pubmed publisher..Only C10H18Cl4 significantly decreased the mRNA expression of tyr, ttr, dio2 and dio3 at a dose-dependent manner suggesting that the specific mode of actions differ with different congeners...
- Tu W, Xu C, Lu B, Lin C, Wu Y, Liu W. Acute exposure to synthetic pyrethroids causes bioconcentration and disruption of the hypothalamus-pituitary-thyroid axis in zebrafish embryos. Sci Total Environ. 2016;542:876-85 pubmed publisher..In addition, the majority of the HPT axis-related genes examined, including CRH, TSHÎ², TTR, UGT1ab, Pax8, Dio2 and TRÎ±, were significantly upregulated in the presence of BF...
- Liu S, Chang J, Zhao Y, Zhu G. Changes of thyroid hormone levels and related gene expression in zebrafish on early life stage exposure to triadimefon. Environ Toxicol Pharmacol. 2011;32:472-7 pubmed publisher..hypothalamic-pituitary-thyroid (HPT) axis, including thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH-beta), deiodinases (dio1 and dio2) and the thyroid hormone receptor (thraa and thrb) were evaluated...
- Bouzaffour M, Rampon C, Ramauge M, Courtin F, Vriz S. Implication of type 3 deiodinase induction in zebrafish fin regeneration. Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2010;168:88-94 pubmed publisher..The effect of IOP on the blastema required endogenous or exogenous TH. Our findings support a model in which local degradation of TH by type 3 deiodinase is permissive for epimorphic regeneration. ..
- Liang X, Li J, Martyniuk C, Wang J, Mao Y, Lu H, et al. Benzotriazole ultraviolet stabilizers alter the expression of the thyroid hormone pathway in zebrafish (Danio rerio) embryos. Chemosphere. 2017;182:22-30 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results indicate that BUVSs can potentially impact the thyroid system, and that this is dependent upon the type or structure of BUVSs. ..
- Kim S, Jung J, Lee I, Jung D, Youn H, Choi K. Thyroid disruption by triphenyl phosphate, an organophosphate flame retardant, in zebrafish (Danio rerio) embryos/larvae, and in GH3 and FRTL-5 cell lines. Aquat Toxicol. 2015;160:188-96 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our observations show that TPP could increase the thyroid hormone concentrations in the early life stages of zebrafish by disrupting the central regulation and hormone synthesis pathways. ..
- Kang H, Moon H, Choi K. Toxicological responses following short-term exposure through gavage feeding or water-borne exposure to Dechlorane Plus in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Chemosphere. 2016;146:226-32 pubmed publisher..Our observations indicate for the first time that DP disrupts thyroid hormone balance of zebrafish by altering regulatory pathways in the brain. Handling editor: David Volz. ..
- Liang X, Yu L, Gui W, Zhu G. Exposure to difenoconazole causes changes of thyroid hormone and gene expression levels in zebrafish larvae. Environ Toxicol Pharmacol. 2015;40:983-7 pubmed publisher..hormone (crh), thyroid-stimulating hormone (tshÎ²), transthyretin (ttr), thyronine deiodinase (dio1 and dio2), uridine diphosphate glucuronosyltransferase (ugt1ab) in the HPT axis were significantly up-regulated, but the ..
- Wang Q, Chen Q, Zhou P, Li W, Wang J, Huang C, et al. Bioconcentration and metabolism of BDE-209 in the presence of titanium dioxide nanoparticles and impact on the thyroid endocrine system and neuronal development in zebrafish larvae. Nanotoxicology. 2014;8 Suppl 1:196-207 pubmed publisher..Upregulation of several gene transcriptions (tsh?, tg, dio2) in the hypothalamic-pituitary-thyroid axis was also observed...
- Sun H, Li H, Xiang P, Zhang X, Ma L. Short-term exposure of arsenite disrupted thyroid endocrine system and altered gene transcription in the HPT axis in zebrafish. Environ Pollut. 2015;205:145-52 pubmed publisher..3-1.4 times and modulated gene transcription in HPT axis. Our study showed AsIII caused oxidative damage, affected thyroid endocrine system and altered gene transcription in HPT axis in zebrafish. ..
- Walpita C, Crawford A, Janssens E, Van der Geyten S, Darras V. Type 2 iodothyronine deiodinase is essential for thyroid hormone-dependent embryonic development and pigmentation in zebrafish. Endocrinology. 2009;150:530-9 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that TH activation by D2 is essential for embryonic development and pigmentation in zebrafish. ..
- Li Z, Ptak D, Zhang L, Walls E, Zhong W, Leung Y. Phenylthiourea specifically reduces zebrafish eye size. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e40132 pubmed publisher..Thus, one should use caution when interpreting results that are obtained from PTU-treated embryos. ..
- Marelli F, Carra S, Rurale G, Cotelli F, Persani L. In vivo Functional Consequences of Human THRA Variants Expressed in the Zebrafish. Thyroid. 2017;27:279-291 pubmed publisher..The described manipulation of zebrafish embryos represents a novel in vivo model to screen the functional consequences of THRA variants and the rescue potential of new therapeutic compounds. ..
- Zhang D, Zhou E, Yang Z. Waterborne exposure to BPS causes thyroid endocrine disruption in zebrafish larvae. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0176927 pubmed publisher..concentration of BPS significantly up-regulated genes related to thyroid hormone metabolism (deiodinases, dio1, dio2 and uridinediphosphate glucoronosyltransferases, ugt1ab), which might be responsible for the altered THs levels...
- Huang G, Tian X, Fang X, Ji F. Waterborne exposure to bisphenol F causes thyroid endocrine disruption in zebrafish larvae. Chemosphere. 2016;147:188-94 pubmed publisher..The increased gene transcription of dio2 might assist to degrade increased T3 contents...
- Zhou Z, Yang J, Chan K. Toxic effects of triclosan on a zebrafish (Danio rerio) liver cell line, ZFL. Aquat Toxicol. 2017;191:175-188 pubmed publisher..The impairment of Cyp1a mRNA expression could be due to stimulation by other stressors such as oxidative stress, warranting further investigation into the underlying mechanism in zebrafish. ..
- Tu W, Xu C, Jin Y, Lu B, Lin C, Wu Y, et al. Permethrin is a potential thyroid-disrupting chemical: In vivo and in silico envidence. Aquat Toxicol. 2016;175:39-46 pubmed publisher..Both in vivo and in silico studies clearly disclosed that PM potentially disrupts the thyroid endocrine system in fish. This study provides a rapid and cost-effective approach for identifying THDCs and the underlying mechanisms. ..
- Cao C, Wang Q, Jiao F, Zhu G. Impact of co-exposure with butachlor and triadimefon on thyroid endocrine system in larval zebrafish. Exp Toxicol Pathol. 2016;68:463-9 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, gene data showed BTL up-regulated the mRNA expression of tpo, tsh?, tg, ttr, dio2, TDF up-regulated the mRNA expression of tpo, tr?, ttr, dio2 and down-regulated tr? gene...
- Jianjie C, Wenjuan X, Jinling C, Jie S, Ruhui J, Meiyan L. Fluoride caused thyroid endocrine disruption in male zebrafish (Danio rerio). Aquat Toxicol. 2016;171:48-58 pubmed publisher..fish after 90 days of exposure, while the inconsistent expressions were found in the mRNA of iodothyronineâ…¡ (DIO2), UDP glucuronosyltransferase 1 family a, b (UGT1ab), transthyretin (TTR), and thyroid hormone receptor beta (TRÎ²..
- Du J, Wang S, You H, Liu Z. Effects of ZnO nanoparticles on perfluorooctane sulfonate induced thyroid-disrupting on zebrafish larvae. J Environ Sci (China). 2016;47:153-164 pubmed publisher..Our results also provide insight into the mechanism of disruption of the thyroid status by PFOS and nano-ZnO. ..
- Zhao X, Ren X, Ren B, Luo Z, Zhu R. Life-cycle exposure to BDE-47 results in thyroid endocrine disruption to adults and offsprings of zebrafish (Danio rerio). Environ Toxicol Pharmacol. 2016;48:157-167 pubmed publisher..Significant up-regulation of dio2 and crh was observed in the 10?g/L BDE-47 group...
- Yang J, Chan K. Evaluation of the toxic effects of brominated compounds (BDE-47, 99, 209, TBBPA) and bisphenol A (BPA) using a zebrafish liver cell line, ZFL. Aquat Toxicol. 2015;159:138-47 pubmed publisher..BPA and the brominated compounds tested were able to disrupt the TH system at the gene expression level, probably through the deiodination pathways. ..
- Lyche J, Nourizadeh Lillabadi R, Almaas C, Stavik B, Berg V, Skåre J, et al. Natural mixtures of persistent organic pollutants (POP) increase weight gain, advance puberty, and induce changes in gene expression associated with steroid hormones and obesity in female zebrafish. J Toxicol Environ Health A. 2010;73:1032-57 pubmed publisher..The effects observed in the experimental zebrafish model raise the question whether chemical pollution represents a risk to reproductive health of wild fish inhabitating the freshwater system. ..
- Zucchi S, Castiglioni S, Fent K. Progesterone alters global transcription profiles at environmental concentrations in brain and ovary of female zebrafish (Danio rerio). Environ Sci Technol. 2013;47:12548-56 pubmed publisher..The data show molecular effects and the modes of action of P4 at environmental concentrations. Ultimately they may translate to adverse effects on reproduction. ..
- Yu L, Lam J, Guo Y, Wu R, Lam P, Zhou B. Parental transfer of polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs) and thyroid endocrine disruption in zebrafish. Environ Sci Technol. 2011;45:10652-9 pubmed publisher..For the first time, we demonstrated that parental exposure to low concentrations of PBDEs could affect THs in the offspring and the transgenerational PBDE-induced toxicity in subsequent nonexposed generations. ..
- Usenko C, Hopkins D, Trumble S, Bruce E. Hydroxylated PBDEs induce developmental arrest in zebrafish. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2012;262:43-51 pubmed publisher..This study suggests that hydroxylated PBDEs disrupt development, and may induce oxidative stress and potentially disrupt the cholinergic system and thyroid hormone homeostasis. ..
- Bagci E, Heijlen M, Vergauwen L, Hagenaars A, Houbrechts A, Esguerra C, et al. Deiodinase knockdown during early zebrafish development affects growth, development, energy metabolism, motility and phototransduction. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0123285 pubmed publisher..This study provides new insights, not only into the role of deiodinases, but also into the importance of a correct TH balance during vertebrate embryonic development. ..
- Zada D, Tovin A, Lerer Goldshtein T, Vatine G, Appelbaum L. Altered behavioral performance and live imaging of circuit-specific neural deficiencies in a zebrafish model for psychomotor retardation. PLoS Genet. 2014;10:e1004615 pubmed publisher..We also propose that the administration of TH analogs early during embryo development can specifically reduce neurological damage in AHDS patients. ..
- de Vrieze E, van de Wiel S, Zethof J, Flik G, Klaren P, Arjona F. Knockdown of monocarboxylate transporter 8 (mct8) disturbs brain development and locomotion in zebrafish. Endocrinology. 2014;155:2320-30 pubmed publisher..Taken together, the zebrafish is a suitable animal model for the study of the pathophysiology of AHDS. ..
- Liu Y, Wang J, Fang X, Zhang H, Dai J. The thyroid-disrupting effects of long-term perfluorononanoate exposure on zebrafish (Danio rerio). Ecotoxicology. 2011;20:47-55 pubmed publisher..Our results provide the first evidence for the thyroid-disrupting effects of long-term PFNA exposure in zebrafish. ..
- Chen Q, Yu L, Yang L, Zhou B. Bioconcentration and metabolism of decabromodiphenyl ether (BDE-209) result in thyroid endocrine disruption in zebrafish larvae. Aquat Toxicol. 2012;110-111:141-8 pubmed publisher..Up-regulation of mRNA for thyronine deiodinase (Dio1 and Dio2) and thyroid hormone receptors (TR? and TR?) was also observed...
- Houbrechts A, Delarue J, Gabriëls I, Sourbron J, Darras V. Permanent Deiodinase Type 2 Deficiency Strongly Perturbs Zebrafish Development, Growth, and Fertility. Endocrinology. 2016;157:3668-81 pubmed publisher..Deiodinase type 2 (Dio2) catalyzes the conversion of the prohormone T4 into the transcriptionally active T3 and is the predominant ..
- Thisse C, Degrave A, Kryukov G, Gladyshev V, Obrecht Pflumio S, Krol A, et al. Spatial and temporal expression patterns of selenoprotein genes during embryogenesis in zebrafish. Gene Expr Patterns. 2003;3:525-32 pubmed..Therefore, tissue- and development-specific expression patterns provided new information for selenoproteins of unknown function. ..
- Betancor M, Almaida PagÃ¡n P, Sprague M, HernÃ¡ndez A, Tocher D. Roles of selenoprotein antioxidant protection in zebrafish, Danio rerio, subjected to dietary oxidative stress. Fish Physiol Biochem. 2015;41:705-20 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that oxidative stress protection associated with a high dietary intake of Se may not be solely mediated by transcriptional changes in teleost selenoprotein expression. ..
- Cheng H, Yan W, Wu Q, Liu C, Gong X, Hung T, et al. Parental exposure to microcystin-LR induced thyroid endocrine disruption in zebrafish offspring, a transgenerational toxicity. Environ Pollut. 2017;230:981-988 pubmed publisher..We regard these adverse effects as a parental transgenerational toxicity of MCLR. ..
- Zhao X, Wang S, Li D, You H, Ren X. Effects of perchlorate on BDE-47-induced alteration thyroid hormone and gene expression of in the hypothalamus-pituitary-thyroid axis in zebrafish larvae. Environ Toxicol Pharmacol. 2013;36:1176-85 pubmed publisher..These results help to elucidate the complicated chemical interactions and the molecular mechanism of action of these two TH disruptors. ..
- Liang Y, Huang G, Ying G, Liu S, Jiang Y, Liu S. Progesterone and norgestrel alter transcriptional expression of genes along the hypothalamic-pituitary-thyroid axis in zebrafish embryos-larvae. Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol. 2015;167:101-7 pubmed publisher..the effects of NGT on transcripts of thyrotropin-releasing hormone (Trh), Dio1, iodothyronine deiodinase type II (Dio2) and thyroid hormone receptor Î± (Thra) genes were generally low...
- Wong R, McLeod M, Godwin J. Limited sex-biased neural gene expression patterns across strains in Zebrafish (Danio rerio). BMC Genomics. 2014;15:905 pubmed publisher..A possible mechanism is through regulating specific brain gene networks. ..
- Cheng Y, Ekker M, Chan H. Relative developmental toxicities of pentachloroanisole and pentachlorophenol in a zebrafish model (Danio rerio). Ecotoxicol Environ Saf. 2015;112:7-14 pubmed publisher..and thyroid hormone receptor beta (THRÎ²), and decreased expression of iodothyronine deiodinase type II (Dio2)...
- Wirbisky S, SepÃºlveda M, Weber G, Jannasch A, Horzmann K, Freeman J. Embryonic Atrazine Exposure Elicits Alterations in Genes Associated with Neuroendocrine Function in Adult Male Zebrafish. Toxicol Sci. 2016;153:149-64 pubmed publisher..Overall, this data indicate future studies should focus on additional neuroendocrine endpoints to determine potential functional impairments. ..
- Kim S, Sohn J, Ha S, Kang H, Yim U, Shim W, et al. Thyroid Hormone Disruption by Water-Accommodated Fractions of Crude Oil and Sediments Affected by the Hebei Spirit Oil Spill in Zebrafish and GH3 Cells. Environ Sci Technol. 2016;50:5972-80 pubmed publisher..Sediment samples also showed thyroid disrupting potentials in the GH3 cell, even several years after the oil spill. Long-term ecosystem consequences of thyroid hormone disruption due to oil spill deserve further investigation. ..
- Yan W, Zhou Y, Yang J, Li S, Hu D, Wang J, et al. Waterborne exposure to microcystin-LR alters thyroid hormone levels and gene transcription in the hypothalamic-pituitary-thyroid axis in zebrafish larvae. Chemosphere. 2012;87:1301-7 pubmed publisher..Up-regulation and down-regulation of Deio1 and Deio2 gene expression, respectively, were observed upon exposure to MCLR...
- Dong W, Macaulay L, Kwok K, Hinton D, Stapleton H. Using whole mount in situ hybridization to examine thyroid hormone deiodinase expression in embryonic and larval zebrafish: a tool for examining OH-BDE toxicity to early life stages. Aquat Toxicol. 2013;132-133:190-9 pubmed publisher..In this study we investigated deiodinase 1 (Dio1), deiodinase 2 (Dio2), and deiodinase 3 (Dio3) mRNA expression at the following life stages (2, 8, and 1k-cells; 50%-epiboly, 6 and 18-..
- Guo Y, Zhou B. Thyroid endocrine system disruption by pentachlorophenol: an in vitro and in vivo assay. Aquat Toxicol. 2013;142-143:138-45 pubmed publisher..PCP exposure did not influence the transcription of the transthyretin (TTR) gene. The results indicate that PCP potentially disrupts the thyroid endocrine system both in vitro and in vivo. ..
- Shi X, Liu C, Wu G, Zhou B. Waterborne exposure to PFOS causes disruption of the hypothalamus-pituitary-thyroid axis in zebrafish larvae. Chemosphere. 2009;77:1010-8 pubmed publisher..NIS), thyroglobulin (TG), thyroid peroxidase (TPO), transthyretin (TTR), iodothyronine deiodinases (Dio1 and Dio2) and thyroid receptor (TRalpha and TRbeta), was quantitatively measured using real-time PCR...