Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: dct
Description: dopachrome tautomerase
Alias: TRP-2, trp2, zgc:109860, L-dopachrome tautomerase, tyrosinase-related protein-2
- Arduini B, Henion P. Melanophore sublineage-specific requirement for zebrafish touchtone during neural crest development. Mech Dev. 2004;121:1353-64 pubmed..Further, our results suggest that, like other neural crest-derived sublineages, melanogenic precursors constitute a heterogeneous population with respect to genetic requirements for development...
- Yan Y, Willoughby J, Liu D, Crump J, Wilson C, Miller C, et al. A pair of Sox: distinct and overlapping functions of zebrafish sox9 co-orthologs in craniofacial and pectoral fin development. Development. 2005;132:1069-83 pubmed..By contrast, subfunction partitioning between zebrafish co-orthologs of tetrapod genes, such as sox9a and sox9b, can relax pleiotropy and reveal both early and late developmental gene functions. ..
- Ignatius M, Moose H, El Hodiri H, Henion P. colgate/hdac1 Repression of foxd3 expression is required to permit mitfa-dependent melanogenesis. Dev Biol. 2008;313:568-83 pubmed
- Stewart R, Arduini B, Berghmans S, George R, Kanki J, Henion P, et al. Zebrafish foxd3 is selectively required for neural crest specification, migration and survival. Dev Biol. 2006;292:174-88 pubmed
- Lister J, Cooper C, Nguyen K, Modrell M, Grant K, Raible D. Zebrafish Foxd3 is required for development of a subset of neural crest derivatives. Dev Biol. 2006;290:92-104 pubmed
- O Brien E, d Alençon C, Bonde G, Li W, Schoenebeck J, Allende M, et al. Transcription factor Ap-2alpha is necessary for development of embryonic melanophores, autonomic neurons and pharyngeal skeleton in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2004;265:246-61 pubmed..These results reveal that Ap-2alpha regulates multiple steps of melanophore development, and is required for development of other neuronal and non-neuronal neural crest derivatives...
- Johnson S, Nguyen A, Lister J. mitfa is required at multiple stages of melanocyte differentiation but not to establish the melanocyte stem cell. Dev Biol. 2011;350:405-13 pubmed publisher..required at several stages of melanocyte differentiation, including for expression of the early melanoblast marker dct, again for progression from dct expression to differentiation, and again for maintenance of dendritic form ..
- Curran K, Lister J, Kunkel G, Prendergast A, Parichy D, Raible D. Interplay between Foxd3 and Mitf regulates cell fate plasticity in the zebrafish neural crest. Dev Biol. 2010;344:107-18 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data reveal a Foxd3/mitfa transcriptional switch that governs whether a bi-potent pigment precursor will attain either an iridophore or a melanophore fate. ..
- Mellgren E, Johnson S. A requirement for kit in embryonic zebrafish melanocyte differentiation is revealed by melanoblast delay. Dev Genes Evol. 2004;214:493-502 pubmed..Finally, we suggest there is a heterochronic shift in the onset of melanocyte differentiation between fish and mouse, and developmental delay of melanoblast development in zebrafish removes this heterochronic difference. ..
- Barrallo Gimeno A, Holzschuh J, Driever W, Knapik E. Neural crest survival and differentiation in zebrafish depends on mont blanc/tfap2a gene function. Development. 2004;131:1463-77 pubmed
- McNeill M, Paulsen J, Bonde G, Burnight E, Hsu M, Cornell R. Cell death of melanophores in zebrafish trpm7 mutant embryos depends on melanin synthesis. J Invest Dermatol. 2007;127:2020-30 pubmed..We find that unlike TRPM1, TRPM7 is expressed in human melanoma cell lines, indicating that these cells may also be sensitized to reduction of TRPM7 levels...
- Eom D, Inoue S, Patterson L, Gordon T, Slingwine R, Kondo S, et al. Melanophore migration and survival during zebrafish adult pigment stripe development require the immunoglobulin superfamily adhesion molecule Igsf11. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1002899 pubmed publisher..Our results provide new insights into adult pigment pattern morphogenesis and how cellular interactions mediate pattern formation...
- Lister J, Robertson C, Lepage T, Johnson S, Raible D. nacre encodes a zebrafish microphthalmia-related protein that regulates neural-crest-derived pigment cell fate. Development. 1999;126:3757-67 pubmed
- Budi E, Patterson L, Parichy D. Embryonic requirements for ErbB signaling in neural crest development and adult pigment pattern formation. Development. 2008;135:2603-14 pubmed publisher..These data identify a very early, embryonic, requirement for erbb3b in the development of much later metamorphic melanophores, and suggest complex modes by which ErbB signals promote adult pigment pattern development...
- Lane B, Lister J. Otx but not Mitf transcription factors are required for zebrafish retinal pigment epithelium development. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e49357 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that one or more Otx targets in addition to mitfa and mitfb, possibly another mitf family member, are necessary for development of the RPE in zebrafish. ..
- Rubinstein A, Lee D, Luo R, Henion P, Halpern M. Genes dependent on zebrafish cyclops function identified by AFLP differential gene expression screen. Genesis. 2000;26:86-97 pubmed..The identification of calreticulin suggests that a differential screen between wild-type and mutant cDNA is a useful approach to reveal regulation of unexpected gene expression in response to cellular signals. genesis 26:86-97, 2000. ..
- Kelsh R, Schmid B, Eisen J. Genetic analysis of melanophore development in zebrafish embryos. Dev Biol. 2000;225:277-93 pubmed..Furthermore, their distribution indicates a defect in melanoblast dispersal. These observations permit us to refine our model of the genetic control of melanophore development in zebrafish embryos...
- Minchin J, Hughes S. Sequential actions of Pax3 and Pax7 drive xanthophore development in zebrafish neural crest. Dev Biol. 2008;317:508-22 pubmed publisher..Therefore, Pax3 in zebrafish is required for specification of two specific lineages of neural crest, xanthophores and enteric neurons. ..
- Knight R, Nair S, Nelson S, Afshar A, Javidan Y, Geisler R, et al. lockjaw encodes a zebrafish tfap2a required for early neural crest development. Development. 2003;130:5755-68 pubmed..These studies demonstrate that low is required for early steps in neural crest development and suggest that tfap2a is essential for the survival of a subset of neural crest derivatives. ..
- Minchin J, Williams V, Hinits Y, Low S, Tandon P, Fan C, et al. Oesophageal and sternohyal muscle fibres are novel Pax3-dependent migratory somite derivatives essential for ingestion. Development. 2013;140:2972-84 pubmed publisher..Together, our data demonstrate Pax3-expressing somite cells as a source of OSM and SHM fibres, and highlight a conserved role of Pax3 genes in the genesis of these feeding muscles of vertebrates. ..
- Van Otterloo E, Li W, Bonde G, Day K, Hsu M, Cornell R. Differentiation of zebrafish melanophores depends on transcription factors AP2 alpha and AP2 epsilon. PLoS Genet. 2010;6:e1001122 pubmed publisher..This work illustrates how analysis of single-gene mutants may fail to identify steps in a GRN that are affected by the redundant activity of related proteins. ..
- Quigley I, Manuel J, Roberts R, Nuckels R, Herrington E, MacDonald E, et al. Evolutionary diversification of pigment pattern in Danio fishes: differential fms dependence and stripe loss in D. albolineatus. Development. 2005;132:89-104 pubmed..Together, these data suggest evolutionary changes in the fms pathway or fms requirements, and identify changes in cellular interactions as a likely mechanism of evolutionary change in Danio pigment patterns...
- Montero Balaguer M, Lang M, Sachdev S, Knappmeyer C, Stewart R, De La Guardia A, et al. The mother superior mutation ablates foxd3 activity in neural crest progenitor cells and depletes neural crest derivatives in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:3199-212 pubmed..Further analysis of mosm188 mutants and foxd3 morphants revealed that NC cells are initially formed, suggesting that foxd3 function is required to maintain the pool of NC progenitors. ..
- Watanabe M, Sawada R, Aramaki T, Skerrett I, Kondo S. The Physiological Characterization of Connexin41.8 and Connexin39.4, Which Are Involved in the Striped Pattern Formation of Zebrafish. J Biol Chem. 2016;291:1053-63 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that functional differences in Cx41.8 and Cx39.4 relate to spot or labyrinth mutant phenotypes and also provide evidence that these two connexins interact in vivo and in vitro. ..
- Cechmanek P, McFarlane S. Retinal pigment epithelium expansion around the neural retina occurs in two separate phases with distinct mechanisms. Dev Dyn. 2017;246:598-609 pubmed publisher..RPE development to produce the monolayer epithelium that covers the back of the neural retina occurs in two distinct phases driven by distinct mechanisms. Developmental Dynamics 246:598-609, 2017. Â© 2017 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. ..
- Coutinho P, Parsons M, Thomas K, Hirst E, Saude L, Campos I, et al. Differential requirements for COPI transport during vertebrate early development. Dev Cell. 2004;7:547-58 pubmed..Moreover, we note that the mRNA encoding alpha coatomer is strikingly upregulated in notochord progenitors, and we present data suggesting that alpha coatomer transcription is tuned to activity- and cell type-specific secretory loads. ..
- Tobin J, Di Franco M, Eichers E, May Simera H, Garcia M, Yan J, et al. Inhibition of neural crest migration underlies craniofacial dysmorphology and Hirschsprung's disease in Bardet-Biedl syndrome. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:6714-9 pubmed publisher..Moreover, this is a previously undescribed method of using characterization of facial dysmorphology as a basis for investigating the pathomechanism of CF development in dysmorphic syndromes...
- Nord H, Dennhag N, Muck J, Von Hofsten J. Pax7 is required for establishment of the xanthophore lineage in zebrafish embryos. Mol Biol Cell. 2016;27:1853-62 pubmed publisher..In summary, we propose a novel role for Pax7 in the early specification of chromatophore precursor cells. ..
- Liu C, Yan W, Zhou B, Guo Y, Liu H, Yu H, et al. Characterization of a bystander effect induced by the endocrine-disrupting chemical 6-propyl-2-thiouracil in zebrafish embryos. Aquat Toxicol. 2012;118-119:108-115 pubmed publisher..up-regulated mRNA expressions of oculocutaneous albinism type 2 (OCA2), tyrosinase (TYR), dopachrometautomerase (DCT), tyrosinase-related protein 1 (TYRP1) and silver (SILV), and increased the protein expressions of TYR and SILV...
- Das A, Crump J. Bmps and id2a act upstream of Twist1 to restrict ectomesenchyme potential of the cranial neural crest. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1002710 pubmed publisher..Together our model shows how the integration of Bmp inhibition at its origin and Fgf activation along its migratory route would confer temporal and spatial specificity to the generation of ectomesenchyme from the neural crest...
- Xia M, Chen K, Yao X, Xu Y, Yao J, Yan J, et al. Mediator MED23 Links Pigmentation and DNA Repair through the Transcription Factor MITF. Cell Rep. 2017;20:1794-1804 pubmed publisher..Collectively, the Mediator MED23/MITF axis connects DNA repair to pigmentation, thus providing molecular insights into the DNA damage response and skin-related diseases. ..
- Lister J, Capper A, Zeng Z, Mathers M, Richardson J, Paranthaman K, et al. A conditional zebrafish MITF mutation reveals MITF levels are critical for melanoma promotion vs. regression in vivo. J Invest Dermatol. 2014;134:133-140 pubmed publisher..These studies are significant because they show that targeting MITF activity is a potent antitumor mechanism, but also show that caution is required because low levels of wild-type MITF activity are oncogenic. ..
- Zhang C, Li Q, Lim C, Qiu X, Jiang Y. The characterization of zebrafish antimorphic mib alleles reveals that Mib and Mind bomb-2 (Mib2) function redundantly. Dev Biol. 2007;305:14-27 pubmed..It was also shown that Notch signaling negatively regulates mib expression in a Su(H)-dependent manner, forming a negative feedback loop in modulating Notch activation. ..
- An M, Henion P. The zebrafish sf3b1b460 mutant reveals differential requirements for the sf3b1 pre-mRNA processing gene during neural crest development. Int J Dev Biol. 2012;56:223-37 pubmed publisher..Further, the developmental defects caused by the sf3b1(b460) mutation provide insights into genetic interactions among members of the gene regulatory network controlling neural crest development...
- Wang Z, Nishimura Y, Shimada Y, Umemoto N, Hirano M, Zang L, et al. Zebrafish beta-adrenergic receptor mRNA expression and control of pigmentation. Gene. 2009;446:18-27 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that adrb2a may regulate pigmentation, partly by modulating F1F0-ATPase. ..
- Nadauld L, Chidester S, Shelton D, Rai K, Broadbent T, Sandoval I, et al. Dual roles for adenomatous polyposis coli in regulating retinoic acid biosynthesis and Wnt during ocular development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:13409-14 pubmed
- Nguyen C, Langenbacher A, Hsieh M, Chen J. The PAF1 complex component Leo1 is essential for cardiac and neural crest development in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2010;341:167-75 pubmed publisher..In addition, the expression levels of markers for neural crest-derived cells such as crestin, gch2, dct and mitfa are greatly reduced in leo1(LA1186) mutants, indicating a requirement for Leo1 in maintaining the neural ..
- Smolen G, Schott B, Stewart R, Diederichs S, Muir B, Provencher H, et al. A Rap GTPase interactor, RADIL, mediates migration of neural crest precursors. Genes Dev. 2007;21:2131-6 pubmed..We specifically show that these defects are primarily due to the diminished migratory capacity of NC cells. The identification of RADIL as a regulator of NC migration defines a role for the Rap pathway in this process. ..
- Guillot R, Muriach B, Rocha A, Rotllant J, Kelsh R, Cerdá Reverter J. Thyroid Hormones Regulate Zebrafish Melanogenesis in a Gender-Specific Manner. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0166152 pubmed publisher..We also found sexually dimorphic regulation of some melanogenic genes, such as Dct/Tyrp2 that was dramatically up-regulated in females after T3 treatment...
- Rojas Muñoz A, Dahm R, NUSSLEIN VOLHARD C. chokh/rx3 specifies the retinal pigment epithelium fate independently of eye morphogenesis. Dev Biol. 2005;288:348-62 pubmed..Thus, our data provide the first indication that, in addition to controlling optic lobe evagination and proliferation, chk/rx3 also determines cellular fate. ..
- Santoriello C, Gennaro E, Anelli V, Distel M, Kelly A, Köster R, et al. Kita driven expression of oncogenic HRAS leads to early onset and highly penetrant melanoma in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e15170 pubmed publisher..Thus our zebrafish model provides a link between kita expressing melanocyte progenitors and melanoma and offers the advantage of a larval phenotype suitable for large scale drug and genetic modifier screens. ..
- Cox S, Kim H, Garnett A, Medeiros D, An W, Crump J. An essential role of variant histone H3.3 for ectomesenchyme potential of the cranial neural crest. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1002938 pubmed publisher..3 in the broad potential of the ectoderm-derived CNC, including the ability to make the mesoderm-like ectomesenchymal precursors of the head skeleton...
- Grønskov K, Dooley C, Østergaard E, Kelsh R, Hansen L, Levesque M, et al. Mutations in c10orf11, a melanocyte-differentiation gene, cause autosomal-recessive albinism. Am J Hum Genet. 2013;92:415-21 pubmed publisher..The morphant phenotype was rescued by wild-type C10orf11, but not by mutant C10orf11. In conclusion, we have identified a melanocyte-differentiation gene, C10orf11, which when mutated causes autosomal-recessive albinism in humans...
- Inoue S, Kondo S, Parichy D, Watanabe M. Tetraspanin 3c requirement for pigment cell interactions and boundary formation in zebrafish adult pigment stripes. Pigment Cell Melanoma Res. 2014;27:190-200 pubmed..Our results are the first to identify roles for a tetraspanin superfamily protein in skin pigment pattern formation and suggest new mechanisms for the establishment and maintenance of zebrafish stripe boundaries. ..
- Kim M, Lee H, Im M, Lee Y, Kim C, Lee J, et al. Effect of adenosine on melanogenesis in b16 cells and zebrafish. Ann Dermatol. 2014;26:209-13 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that adenosine may inhibit pigmentation, through negative regulation of tyrosinase. ..
- Lacosta A, Canudas J, Gonzalez C, Muniesa P, Sarasa M, Dominguez L. Pax7 identifies neural crest, chromatophore lineages and pigment stem cells during zebrafish development. Int J Dev Biol. 2007;51:327-31 pubmed..Finally, during the larva to adult transition, we show that pigment stem cells recapitulate the expression of Pax7. ..
- Zhang T, Zhou X, Ma X, Liu J. Mechanisms of cadmium-caused eye hypoplasia and hypopigmentation in zebrafish embryos. Aquat Toxicol. 2015;167:68-76 pubmed publisher..Moreover, we found that compounds BIO or RA could neutralize the toxic effects of Cd. ..
- Cretekos C, Grunwald D. alyron, an insertional mutation affecting early neural crest development in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 1999;210:322-38 pubmed
- Dooley C, Schwarz H, Mueller K, Mongera A, Konantz M, Neuhauss S, et al. Slc45a2 and V-ATPase are regulators of melanosomal pH homeostasis in zebrafish, providing a mechanism for human pigment evolution and disease. Pigment Cell Melanoma Res. 2013;26:205-17 pubmed publisher..We show that it is possible to rescue the melanization potential of the albino melanosomes through genetic and chemical inhibition of V-ATPase, thereby increasing internal melanosome pH. ..
- Clancey L, Beirl A, Linbo T, Cooper C. Maintenance of melanophore morphology and survival is cathepsin and vps11 dependent in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e65096 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data suggest that vps11 promotes normal melanophore morphology and survival by inhibiting cathepsin release and/or activity. ..
- Greenhill E, Rocco A, Vibert L, Nikaido M, Kelsh R. An iterative genetic and dynamical modelling approach identifies novel features of the gene regulatory network underlying melanocyte development. PLoS Genet. 2011;7:e1002265 pubmed publisher..More generally, this novel approach to understanding melanocyte differentiation provides a basis for systematic modelling of differentiation in this and other cell-types. ..
- Seberg H, Van Otterloo E, Loftus S, Liu H, Bonde G, Sompallae R, et al. TFAP2 paralogs regulate melanocyte differentiation in parallel with MITF. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1006636 pubmed publisher..find that expression of a small subset of genes underlying pigmentation phenotypes is TFAP2A-dependent, including Dct, Mc1r, Mlph, and Pmel...
- Iyengar S, Kasheta M, Ceol C. Poised Regeneration of Zebrafish Melanocytes Involves Direct Differentiation and Concurrent Replenishment of Tissue-Resident Progenitor Cells. Dev Cell. 2015;33:631-43 pubmed publisher..Combining direct differentiation with symmetric progenitor divisions may serve as a means to rapidly repair injured tissue while preserving the capacity to regenerate. ..
- Ceinos R, Guillot R, Kelsh R, CerdÃ¡ Reverter J, Rotllant J. Pigment patterns in adult fish result from superimposition of two largely independent pigmentation mechanisms. Pigment Cell Melanoma Res. 2015;28:196-209 pubmed publisher..These two mechanisms function largely independently, with resultant patterns superimposed to give the full pattern. ..
- Zhang L, Ma P, Collery R, Trowbridge S, Zhang M, Zhong W, et al. Expression profiling of the RPE in zebrafish smarca4 mutant revealed altered signals that potentially affect RPE and retinal differentiation. Mol Vis. 2014;20:56-72 pubmed..In addition, several genes in this group are secreted signaling molecules. Thus, this observation further implicates that the smarca4 RPE might play a role in the retinal dystrophic phenotype in smarca4. ..