Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: dbx1a
Description: developing brain homeobox 1a
Alias: fc15c04, hlx-1, hlx1, wu:fc15c04, zgc:109861, homeobox protein DBX1-A, H2.0-like homeobox 1, developing brain homeobox protein 1-A, homeobox protein hlx1
- Peyrieras N, Strahle U, Rosa F. Conversion of zebrafish blastomeres to an endodermal fate by TGF-beta-related signaling. Curr Biol. 1998;8:783-6 pubmed
- Hortopan G, Baraban S. Aberrant expression of genes necessary for neuronal development and Notch signaling in an epileptic mind bomb zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2011;240:1964-76 pubmed publisher..Here, we selected nine of these genes (her4.2, hes5, bhlhb5, hoxa5a, hoxb5b, dmbx1a, dbx1a, nxph1, and plxnd1) and performed a more thorough analysis of expression using conventional polymerase chain ..
- Matsuda N, Mishina M. Identification of chaperonin CCT gamma subunit as a determinant of retinotectal development by whole-genome subtraction cloning from zebrafish no tectal neuron mutant. Development. 2004;131:1913-25 pubmed..Similarly, the expression of brn3b was normal in the tectum of ntn mutants, but tectal neuropil formation was abolished. These results suggest that the gamma subunit of chaperonin CCT plays an essential role in retinotectal development. ..
- JuÃ¡rez Morales J, Schulte C, Pezoa S, Vallejo G, Hilinski W, England S, et al. Evx1 and Evx2 specify excitatory neurotransmitter fates and suppress inhibitory fates through a Pax2-independent mechanism. Neural Dev. 2016;11:5 pubmed publisher..These results significantly increase our understanding of the mechanisms of neuronal specification and the genetic networks involved in these processes. ..
- Formstone C, Mason I. Combinatorial activity of Flamingo proteins directs convergence and extension within the early zebrafish embryo via the planar cell polarity pathway. Dev Biol. 2005;282:320-35 pubmed..However, while we show that control over axial extension is autonomous, we find that Fmi1a is not required within lateral cells undergoing dorsal convergence. ..
- Guner B, Ozacar A, Thomas J, Karlstrom R. Graded hedgehog and fibroblast growth factor signaling independently regulate pituitary cell fates and help establish the pars distalis and pars intermedia of the zebrafish adenohypophysis. Endocrinology. 2008;149:4435-51 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that there are distinct origins and signaling requirements for the PD and PI. ..
- Hofmeister W, Devine C, Rothnagel J, Key B. Frizzled-3a and slit2 genetically interact to modulate midline axon crossing in the telencephalon. Mech Dev. 2012;129:109-24 pubmed publisher..In the absence of this platform of glia, commissural axons fail to cross the rostral midline of the forebrain. ..
- Blader P, Fischer N, Gradwohl G, Guillemot F, Strahle U. The activity of neurogenin1 is controlled by local cues in the zebrafish embryo. Development. 1997;124:4557-69 pubmed..Together these data suggest that Hh signals regulate neurogenin1 expression and subsequently modulate the type of neurons produced by Neurogenin1 activity. ..
- Scholpp S, Foucher I, Staudt N, Peukert D, Lumsden A, Houart C. Otx1l, Otx2 and Irx1b establish and position the ZLI in the diencephalon. Development. 2007;134:3167-76 pubmed..We therefore propose that the ZLI is induced within the competence area established by Otx1l/2, and is posteriorly restricted by Irx1b. ..
- Manoli M, Driever W. nkx2.1 and nkx2.4 genes function partially redundant during development of the zebrafish hypothalamus, preoptic region, and pallidum. Front Neuroanat. 2014;8:145 pubmed publisher..1 is specifically involved in the development of rostral ventral forebrain including the pallidum and preoptic regions, whereas nkx2.4a and nkx2.4b control the intermediate and caudal hypothalamus. ..
- Förster D, Arnold Ammer I, Laurell E, Barker A, Fernandes A, Finger Baier K, et al. Genetic targeting and anatomical registration of neuronal populations in the zebrafish brain with a new set of BAC transgenic tools. Sci Rep. 2017;7:5230 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our study offers new tools for functional studies of specific neural circuits in zebrafish. ..
- Ryu S, Holzschuh J, Mahler J, Driever W. Genetic analysis of dopaminergic system development in zebrafish. J Neural Transm Suppl. 2006;:61-6 pubmed..We further discuss the prospect of identifying novel genes involved in dopaminergic development through forward genetics mutagenesis screens. ..
- Sun L, Chen F, Peng G. Conserved Noncoding Sequences Regulate lhx5 Expression in the Zebrafish Forebrain. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0132525 pubmed publisher..Together our results suggest discrete enhancer elements control lhx5 expression in different regions of the forebrain. ..
- Briona L, Dorsky R. Radial glial progenitors repair the zebrafish spinal cord following transection. Exp Neurol. 2014;256:81-92 pubmed publisher..In this study, we use specific markers to show that cells expressing a dbx1a:GFP reporter in the zebrafish spinal cord are radial glial progenitors that continue to generate neurons after ..
- Tallafuss A, Adolf B, Bally Cuif L. Selective control of neuronal cluster size at the forebrain/midbrain boundary by signaling from the prechordal plate. Dev Dyn. 2003;227:524-35 pubmed..Together, our results suggest that a combination of patterning-related and -unrelated mechanisms specifically controls the size of individual early neuronal clusters within the anterior neural plate. ..
- Scholpp S, Wolf O, Brand M, Lumsden A. Hedgehog signalling from the zona limitans intrathalamica orchestrates patterning of the zebrafish diencephalon. Development. 2006;133:855-64 pubmed..Furthermore, acquisition of correct prethalamic and thalamic gene expression is dependent on direct Hh signalling. We conclude that proper maturation of the diencephalon requires ZLI-derived Hh signalling. ..
- Mawdsley D, Cooper H, Hogan B, Cody S, Lieschke G, Heath J. The Netrin receptor Neogenin is required for neural tube formation and somitogenesis in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2004;269:302-15 pubmed..These observations suggest a role for Neogenin in determining cell polarity or migrational directionality of both neuroectodermal and mesodermal cells during early embryonic development. ..
- Gribble S, Nikolaus O, Carver M, Hoshijima K, Dorsky R. Chromosomal position mediates spinal cord expression of a dbx1a enhancer. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:2929-35 pubmed publisher..more detail, we have generated transgenic zebrafish in which fluorescent protein expression is driven by predicted dbx1a enhancers...
- Lunde K, Belting H, Driever W. Zebrafish pou5f1/pou2, homolog of mammalian Oct4, functions in the endoderm specification cascade. Curr Biol. 2004;14:48-55 pubmed..We propose that pou5f1 plays an activating role in zebrafish endodermal development, where it maintains sox32 expression during gastrulation and acts with sox32 to induce sox17 expression in endodermal precursor cells. ..
- Barth K, Wilson S. Expression of zebrafish nk2.2 is influenced by sonic hedgehog/vertebrate hedgehog-1 and demarcates a zone of neuronal differentiation in the embryonic forebrain. Development. 1995;121:1755-68 pubmed..2 expression. Together, these results suggest a requirement of shh/vhh-1 protein for the spatial regulation of nk2.2 expression. ..
- Hauptmann G, Gerster T. Complex expression of the zp-50 pou gene in the embryonic zebrafish brain is altered by overexpression of sonic hedgehog. Development. 1996;122:1769-80 pubmed
- Solnica Krezel L, Stemple D, Mountcastle Shah E, Rangini Z, Neuhauss S, Malicki J, et al. Mutations affecting cell fates and cellular rearrangements during gastrulation in zebrafish. Development. 1996;123:67-80 pubmed..These mutations provide an approach to understanding the genetic control of gastrulation in vertebrates. ..
- Bonner J, Gribble S, Veien E, Nikolaus O, Weidinger G, Dorsky R. Proliferation and patterning are mediated independently in the dorsal spinal cord downstream of canonical Wnt signaling. Dev Biol. 2008;313:398-407 pubmed..Together, our work demonstrates that proliferation and patterning in the developing spinal cord are separable events that are regulated independently by Wnt signaling. ..
- Gribble S, Kim H, Bonner J, Wang X, Dorsky R. Tcf3 inhibits spinal cord neurogenesis by regulating sox4a expression. Development. 2009;136:781-9 pubmed publisher..Both of these functions are mediated by Tcf3 independently of canonical Wnt signaling. Together, our data indicate a novel mechanism for the regulation of neurogenesis by Tcf3-mediated repression. ..
- Abdelilah S, Driever W. Pattern formation in janus-mutant zebrafish embryos. Dev Biol. 1997;184:70-84 pubmed..As assessed by the presence of the most ventral cell type, blood, ventral specification within a dorsal half-blastoderm is not suppressed. ..
- Zhang C, Li Q, Lim C, Qiu X, Jiang Y. The characterization of zebrafish antimorphic mib alleles reveals that Mib and Mind bomb-2 (Mib2) function redundantly. Dev Biol. 2007;305:14-27 pubmed..It was also shown that Notch signaling negatively regulates mib expression in a Su(H)-dependent manner, forming a negative feedback loop in modulating Notch activation. ..
- Muto E, Tabata Y, Taneda T, Aoki Y, Muto A, Arai K, et al. Identification and characterization of Veph, a novel gene encoding a PH domain-containing protein expressed in the developing central nervous system of vertebrates. Biochimie. 2004;86:523-31 pubmed..On the other hand, homozygous knockout mice of Veph showed no significant defect in the CNS, pointing to possible different functions of Veph between the zebrafish and mouse. ..
- Guner B, Karlstrom R. Cloning of zebrafish nkx6.2 and a comprehensive analysis of the conserved transcriptional response to Hedgehog/Gli signaling in the zebrafish neural tube. Gene Expr Patterns. 2007;7:596-605 pubmed
- Jeong J, Einhorn Z, Mathur P, Chen L, Lee S, Kawakami K, et al. Patterning the zebrafish diencephalon by the conserved zinc-finger protein Fezl. Development. 2007;134:127-36 pubmed..Our findings reveal that Fezl is crucial for establishing regional subdivisions within the diencephalon and may also play a role in the development of the telencephalon and hypothalamus. ..
- Haffner C, Frauli M, Topp S, Irmler M, Hofmann K, Regula J, et al. Nicalin and its binding partner Nomo are novel Nodal signaling antagonists. EMBO J. 2004;23:3041-50 pubmed..Our data demonstrate that the Nicalin/Nomo complex antagonizes Nodal signaling during mesendodermal patterning in zebrafish. ..
- Hjorth J, Connor R, Key B. Role of hlx1 in zebrafish brain morphogenesis. Int J Dev Biol. 2002;46:583-96 pubmedb>hlx1 is a related homeobox gene expressed in a dynamic spatiotemporal expression pattern during development of the zebrafish brain...
- Lackmann M, Oates A, Dottori M, Smith F, Do C, Power M, et al. Distinct subdomains of the EphA3 receptor mediate ligand binding and receptor dimerization. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:20228-37 pubmed..We propose a two-step mechanism of Eph receptor activation with distinct ligand binding and ligand-independent receptor-receptor oligomerization events. ..
- Priyadarshini M, Tuimala J, Chen Y, Panula P. A zebrafish model of PINK1 deficiency reveals key pathway dysfunction including HIF signaling. Neurobiol Dis. 2013;54:127-38 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that a lack of pink1 in zebrafish alters many vital and critical pathways in addition to the HIF signaling pathway. ..
- Gates K, Mentzer L, Karlstrom R, Sirotkin H. The transcriptional repressor REST/NRSF modulates hedgehog signaling. Dev Biol. 2010;340:293-305 pubmed publisher..The role of Rest as a regulator of Hh signaling has broad implications for many developmental contexts where REST and Hh signaling act. ..
- Zannino D, Downes G, SAGERSTROM C. prdm12b specifies the p1 progenitor domain and reveals a role for V1 interneurons in swim movements. Dev Biol. 2014;390:247-60 pubmed publisher..We conclude that prdm12b is required for V1 interneuron specification and that these neurons control swimming movements in zebrafish. ..
- Dean B, Erdoğan B, Gamse J, Wu S. Dbx1b defines the dorsal habenular progenitor domain in the zebrafish epithalamus. Neural Dev. 2014;9:20 pubmed publisher..We provide clear evidence in support of dbx1b marking the progenitor populations that give rise to the dorsal habenulae. In addition, the expression of dbx1b in the dorsal diencephalon is tightly controlled by FGF signaling. ..
- Amoyel M, Cheng Y, Jiang Y, Wilkinson D. Wnt1 regulates neurogenesis and mediates lateral inhibition of boundary cell specification in the zebrafish hindbrain. Development. 2005;132:775-85 pubmed..The network of genes underlying the regulation of neurogenesis and lateral inhibition of boundary cell formation by Wnt1 has a striking similarity to mechanisms at the dorsoventral boundary in the Drosophila wing imaginal disc. ..