Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: dazl
Description: deleted in azoospermia-like
Alias: deleted in azoospermia-like, DAZ-like protein
- Takeda Y, Mishima Y, Fujiwara T, Sakamoto H, Inoue K. DAZL relieves miRNA-mediated repression of germline mRNAs by controlling poly(A) tail length in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e7513 pubmed publisher..a GFP reporter mRNA that was fused with tdrd7 3'UTR, we show that a germline-specific RNA-binding protein DAZ-like (DAZL) can relieve the miR-430-mediated repression of tdrd7 mRNA by inducing poly(A) tail elongation (polyadenylation) in ..
- Maegawa S, Yamashita M, Yasuda K, Inoue K. Zebrafish DAZ-like protein controls translation via the sequence 'GUUC'. Genes Cells. 2002;7:971-84 pubmed..This study provides important insights into the molecular mechanisms underlying the post-transcriptional regulation of DAZ family proteins in gametogenesis. ..
- Theusch E, Brown K, Pelegri F. Separate pathways of RNA recruitment lead to the compartmentalization of the zebrafish germ plasm. Dev Biol. 2006;292:129-41 pubmed..Our observations suggest that separate pathways of RNA recruitment facilitate the compartmentalization of the zebrafish germ plasm...
- Ge X, Grotjahn D, Welch E, Lyman Gingerich J, Holguin C, Dimitrova E, et al. Hecate/Grip2a acts to reorganize the cytoskeleton in the symmetry-breaking event of embryonic axis induction. PLoS Genet. 2014;10:e1004422 pubmed publisher..The slight asymmetry achieved by this directed process is subsequently amplified by a general cortical animally-directed transport mechanism that is neither dependent on hecate function nor restricted to the prospective dorsal axis. ..
- Wong T, Collodi P. Dorsomorphin promotes survival and germline competence of zebrafish spermatogonial stem cells in culture. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e71332 pubmed publisher..In the presence of dorsomorphin, the spermatogonia continued to express the germ-cell markers dazl, dnd, nanos3, vasa and piwil1 and the spermatogonial markers plzf and sox17 for at least six weeks in culture...
- Shao M, Wang M, Liu Y, Ge Y, Zhang Y, Shi D. Vegetally localised Vrtn functions as a novel repressor to modulate bmp2b transcription during dorsoventral patterning in zebrafish. Development. 2017;144:3361-3374 pubmed publisher..Our work unveils a novel maternal mechanism regulating zygotic BMP gradient in dorsoventral patterning. ..
- Tang H, Chen Y, Liu Y, Yin Y, Li G, Guo Y, et al. New Insights Into the Role of Estrogens in Male Fertility Based on Findings in Aromatase-Deficient Zebrafish. Endocrinology. 2017;158:3042-3054 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our findings indicate that estrogens are not needed to achieve and maintain normal fertility in male zebrafish. This finding challenges the traditional view that estrogens are indispensable for male fertility. ..
- Heim A, Hartung O, Rothhämel S, Ferreira E, Jenny A, Marlow F. Oocyte polarity requires a Bucky ball-dependent feedback amplification loop. Development. 2014;141:842-54 pubmed publisher..to the Balbiani body: RNA binding protein with multiple splice isoforms 2 (Rbpms2) and Deleted in azoospermia-like (Dazl). Buc protein and buc mRNA interact with Rbpms2; buc and dazl mRNAs interact with Dazl protein...
- Safian D, Morais R, Bogerd J, Schulz R. Igf Binding Proteins Protect Undifferentiated Spermatogonia in the Zebrafish Testis Against Excessive Differentiation. Endocrinology. 2016;157:4423-4433 pubmed
- Hartung O, Forbes M, Marlow F. Zebrafish vasa is required for germ-cell differentiation and maintenance. Mol Reprod Dev. 2014;81:946-61 pubmed publisher..Our studies provide insight into the function of zebrafish vasa during female meiosis, differentiation, and maintenance of germ-line stem cells. ..
- Elkouby Y, Jamieson Lucy A, Mullins M. Oocyte Polarization Is Coupled to the Chromosomal Bouquet, a Conserved Polarized Nuclear Configuration in Meiosis. PLoS Biol. 2016;14:e1002335 pubmed publisher..Thus, oocytes are polarized in two steps: first, mitotic divisions preset the centrosome with no obvious polarization yet, then the meiotic-vegetal center forms at zygotene bouquet stages, when symmetry is, in effect, broken. ..
- Corrales J, Fang X, Thornton C, Mei W, Barbazuk W, Duke M, et al. Effects on specific promoter DNA methylation in zebrafish embryos and larvae following benzo[a]pyrene exposure. Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol. 2014;163:37-46 pubmed publisher..At 96hpf (hours post fertilization) compared to 3.3hpf, dazl, nqo1, sox3, cyp1b1, and gstp1 had higher methylation percentages while c-fos and cdkn1a had decreased CG ..
- Elkouby Y, Mullins M. Methods for the analysis of early oogenesis in Zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2017;430:310-324 pubmed publisher..This juvenile ovary toolbox also contributes to establishing the zebrafish as a model for post-larval developmental stages. ..
- Lin Q, Mei J, Li Z, Zhang X, Zhou L, Gui J. Distinct and Cooperative Roles of amh and dmrt1 in Self-Renewal and Differentiation of Male Germ Cells in Zebrafish. Genetics. 2017;207:1007-1022 pubmed publisher..Significantly, this study unravels novel functions of amh gene in fish. ..
- Wiszniak S, Dredge B, Jensen K. HuB (elavl2) mRNA is restricted to the germ cells by post-transcriptional mechanisms including stabilisation of the message by DAZL. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e20773 pubmed publisher..In addition, we show that the germ cell specific RNA-binding protein DAZL is able to promote HuB mRNA stability and translation in germ cells, and further demonstrate that these activities ..
- Howley C, Ho R. mRNA localization patterns in zebrafish oocytes. Mech Dev. 2000;92:305-9 pubmed..Unique patterns of localization are seen in mature eggs as well. Some mRNAs maintain their oocyte localization patterns, while others localize upon egg activation (fertilization). ..
- Welch E, Pelegri F. Cortical depth and differential transport of vegetally localized dorsal and germ line determinants in the zebrafish embryo. Bioarchitecture. 2014;5:13-26 pubmed publisher..We examined the spatial relationship between the proposed dorsal genes wnt8a and grip2a and the PGC factor dazl at the vegetal cortex...
- Campbell P, Heim A, Smith M, Marlow F. Kinesin-1 interacts with Bucky ball to form germ cells and is required to pattern the zebrafish body axis. Development. 2015;142:2996-3008 pubmed publisher..These studies identify essential roles for maternal Kif5Ba in PGC specification and DV patterning, and provide mechanistic insight into Buc functions during early embryogenesis. ..
- Potok M, Nix D, Parnell T, Cairns B. Reprogramming the maternal zebrafish genome after fertilization to match the paternal methylation pattern. Cell. 2013;153:759-72 pubmed publisher..Thus, zebrafish achieve a totipotent chromatin state at ZGA through paternal genome competency and maternal genome DNAme reprogramming. ..
- Knoll Gellida A, André M, Gattegno T, Forgue J, Admon A, Babin P. Molecular phenotype of zebrafish ovarian follicle by serial analysis of gene expression and proteomic profiling, and comparison with the transcriptomes of other animals. BMC Genomics. 2006;7:46 pubmed..The molecular phenotype described provides groundwork for future experimental approaches aimed at identifying functionally important stored maternal transcripts and proteins involved in oogenesis and early stages of embryo development. ..
- Mo S, Song P, Lv D, Chen Y, Zhou W, Gong W, et al. Zebrafish z-otu, a novel Otu and Tudor domain-containing gene, is expressed in early stages of oogenesis and embryogenesis. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2005;1732:1-7 pubmed..Therefore, z-otu might link the ubiquitin signaling pathway to early oogenesis and maintaining the totipotency of embryonic cell. ..
- Morais R, Nóbrega R, Gómez González N, Schmidt R, Bogerd J, França L, et al. Thyroid hormone stimulates the proliferation of Sertoli cells and single type A spermatogonia in adult zebrafish (Danio rerio) testis. Endocrinology. 2013;154:4365-76 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our studies suggest that T3 expands the population of SCs and A(und) involving Igf signaling and potentiates gonadotropin-stimulated testicular androgen production as well as androgen sensitivity. ..
- Aanes H, Østrup O, Andersen I, Moen L, Mathavan S, Collas P, et al. Differential transcript isoform usage pre- and post-zygotic genome activation in zebrafish. BMC Genomics. 2013;14:331 pubmed publisher..Our data display an array of isoform-related functional changes and represent a valuable resource complementary to existing early embryo transcriptomes. ..