Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: dand5
Description: DAN domain family, member 5
Alias: cha, DAN domain family, member 5, charon
- Zhang M, Zhang J, Lin S, Meng A. ?-Catenin 1 and ?-catenin 2 play similar and distinct roles in left-right asymmetric development of zebrafish embryos. Development. 2012;139:2009-19 pubmed publisher..ctnnb1 and ctnnb2 in DFCs/KV differentially regulate the expression of charon, a Nodal antagonist, and spaw, a key Nodal gene for laterality development in zebrafish...
- Zhai G, Gu Q, He J, Lou Q, Chen X, Jin X, et al. Sept6 is required for ciliogenesis in Kupffer's vesicle, the pronephros, and the neural tube during early embryonic development. Mol Cell Biol. 2014;34:1310-21 pubmed publisher..Our study reveals a novel role of sept6 in ciliogenesis during early embryonic development in zebrafish. ..
- Hong S, Dawid I. FGF-dependent left-right asymmetry patterning in zebrafish is mediated by Ier2 and Fibp1. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:2230-5 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Ier2 and Fibp1 mediate FGF signaling in ciliogenesis in Kupffer's Vesicle and in the establishment of laterality in the zebrafish embryo. ..
- Kang N, Ro H, Park Y, Kim H, Huh T, Rhee M. Seson, a novel zinc finger protein, controls cilia integrity for the LR patterning during zebrafish embryogenesis. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2010;401:169-74 pubmed publisher..Seson function was also required for ciliogenesis in other tissues such as the pronephros and olfactory organs. Collectively, our data suggest that Seson has critical roles in ciliogenesis and LR body axis patterning. ..
- Peterson A, Wang X, Yost H. Dvr1 transfers left-right asymmetric signals from Kupffer's vesicle to lateral plate mesoderm in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2013;382:198-208 pubmed publisher..Dvr1 morphant embryos have normal KV morphology and function, normal expression of southpaw (spaw) and charon (cha) in the peri-KV region and normal expression of a variety of LPM markers in LPM...
- Sampaio P, Ferreira R, Guerrero A, Pintado P, Tavares B, Amaro J, et al. Left-right organizer flow dynamics: how much cilia activity reliably yields laterality?. Dev Cell. 2014;29:716-28 pubmed publisher..We conclude that cilia number, dorsal anterior motile cilia clustering, and left flow are critical to situs solitus via robust asymmetric charon expression.
- Dutta S, Sriskanda S, Boobalan E, Alur R, Elkahloun A, Brooks B. nlz1 is required for cilia formation in zebrafish embryogenesis. Dev Biol. 2015;406:203-11 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, Nlz1 contributes to motile cilia formation by positively regulating Wnt11/presumed non-canonical Wnt signaling. Together, our data suggest a novel role of nlz1 in ciliogenesis and the morphogenesis of multiple tissues. ..
- Zhu P, Xu X, Lin X. Both ciliary and non-ciliary functions of Foxj1a confer Wnt/Î²-catenin signaling in zebrafish left-right patterning. Biol Open. 2015;4:1376-86 pubmed publisher..active form of Lef1 also induced an ectopic protrusion that contains ectopic transcripts for sox17, foxj1a, and charon, and ectopic monocilia...
- Schneider I, Houston D, Rebagliati M, Slusarski D. Calcium fluxes in dorsal forerunner cells antagonize beta-catenin and alter left-right patterning. Development. 2008;135:75-84 pubmed..As in zebrafish, manipulation of Ca(2+) release results in ectopic nuclear beta-catenin and altered laterality. Overall, our data support a conserved early Ca(2+) requirement in DFC-like cell function in zebrafish and Xenopus. ..
- Huang S, Ma J, Liu X, Zhang Y, Luo L. Geminin is required for left-right patterning through regulating Kupffer's vesicle formation and ciliogenesis in zebrafish. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2011;410:164-9 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that geminin is required for proper KV formation and ciliogenesis, thus playing an important part in setting up LR asymmetry. ..
- Wang G, Cadwallader A, Jang D, Tsang M, Yost H, Amack J. The Rho kinase Rock2b establishes anteroposterior asymmetry of the ciliated Kupffer's vesicle in zebrafish. Development. 2011;138:45-54 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest a link between AP patterning of the ciliated Kupffer's vesicle and LR patterning of the zebrafish embryo. ..
- Lee M, Hwang K, Oh H, Ji Ae K, Kim H, Cho H, et al. IFT46 plays an essential role in cilia development. Dev Biol. 2015;400:248-57 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results demonstrated that IFT46 has an essential role in vertebrate ciliary development. ..
- Arrington C, Peterson A, Yost H. Sdc2 and Tbx16 regulate Fgf2-dependent epithelial cell morphogenesis in the ciliated organ of asymmetry. Development. 2013;140:4102-9 pubmed publisher..Through an Fgf2-independent pathway, Sdc2 and Tbx16 also control KV ciliogenesis. Our results uncover a novel Sdc2-Tbx16-Fgf2 pathway that regulates epithelial cell morphogenesis...
- Kim J, Bae S, Lee H, Park J, Kim K. Claudin5a is required for proper inflation of Kupffer's vesicle lumen and organ laterality. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0182047 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings suggest that cldn5a is required for KV lumen inflation and left-right asymmetric organ development. ..
- Simms R, Hynes A, Eley L, Inglis D, Chaudhry B, Dawe H, et al. Modelling a ciliopathy: Ahi1 knockdown in model systems reveals an essential role in brain, retinal, and renal development. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2012;69:993-1009 pubmed publisher..These data support a role for Ahi1 in epithelial cell organization and ciliary formation and explain the ciliopathy phenotype of AHI1 mutations in man. ..
- Wang X, Yost H. Initiation and propagation of posterior to anterior (PA) waves in zebrafish left-right development. Dev Dyn. 2008;237:3640-7 pubmed publisher..in LPM and lefty1 in midline depends on Southpaw, and that casanova (sox32) and two Nodal inhibitors, lefty1 and charon, have distinct roles upstream of PA wave initiation...
- Amack J, Wang X, Yost H. Two T-box genes play independent and cooperative roles to regulate morphogenesis of ciliated Kupffer's vesicle in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2007;310:196-210 pubmed..By targeting morpholinos to DFCs, we show that these cell autonomous functions in KV morphogenesis are necessary for LR patterning throughout the embryo. ..
- Verleyen D, Luyten F, Tylzanowski P. Orphan G-protein coupled receptor 22 (Gpr22) regulates cilia length and structure in the zebrafish Kupffer's vesicle. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e110484 pubmed publisher..Further, we found that Gpr22 does not act upstream of the two cilia master regulators, Foxj1a and Rfx2. To conclude, our study characterized a novel player in the field of ciliogenesis. ..
- Yen H, Tayeh M, Mullins R, Stone E, Sheffield V, Slusarski D. Bardet-Biedl syndrome genes are important in retrograde intracellular trafficking and Kupffer's vesicle cilia function. Hum Mol Genet. 2006;15:667-77 pubmed..These studies are the first to comprehensively compare the diverse group of BBS genes in parallel and demonstrate a common role in intracellular trafficking, indicating that BBS proteins are involved in general organelle trafficking. ..
- Lin C, Tsai M, Liu Y, Lu Y, Chen Y, Lai Y, et al. Klf8 regulates left-right asymmetric patterning through modulation of Kupffer's vesicle morphogenesis and spaw expression. J Biomed Sci. 2017;24:45 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that zebrafish Klf8 regulates left-right asymmetric patterning by modulating both Kupffer's vesicle morphogenesis and spaw expression in the left LPM. ..
- Yuan S, Zhao L, Brueckner M, Sun Z. Intraciliary calcium oscillations initiate vertebrate left-right asymmetry. Curr Biol. 2015;25:556-67 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate that intraciliary calcium initiates LR development and identify cilia as a functional ion signaling compartment connecting ciliary motility and flow to molecular LR signaling. ..
- Aamar E, Dawid I. Sox17 and chordin are required for formation of Kupffer's vesicle and left-right asymmetry determination in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:2980-8 pubmed publisher..These defects correlated with the formation of small KVs with apparently diminished cilia, consistent with the known requirement for ciliary function in the laterality organ for the establishment of L-R asymmetry. ..
- Lai S, Yao W, Tsao K, Houben A, Albers H, Ovaa H, et al. Autotaxin/Lpar3 signaling regulates Kupffer's vesicle formation and left-right asymmetry in zebrafish. Development. 2012;139:4439-48 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest a major role for the Atx/Lpar3 signaling axis in regulating KV formation, ciliogenesis and L-R asymmetry via a Wnt-dependent pathway. ..
- Ellertsdottir E, Ganz J, Durr K, Loges N, Biemar F, Seifert F, et al. A mutation in the zebrafish Na,K-ATPase subunit atp1a1a.1 provides genetic evidence that the sodium potassium pump contributes to left-right asymmetry downstream or in parallel to nodal flow. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:1794-808 pubmed..Therefore, the Na,K-ATPase is required downstream or in parallel to monocilia function during initiation of left-right asymmetry in zebrafish. ..
- Tavares B, Jacinto R, Sampaio P, Pestana S, Pinto A, Vaz A, et al. Notch/Her12 signalling modulates, motile/immotile cilia ratio downstream of Foxj1a in zebrafish left-right organizer. elife. 2017;6: pubmed publisher..This disrupts the normal fluid flow intensity and pattern, with consequent impact on dand5 expression pattern and left-right (L-R) axis establishment.
- Fukui H, Shiba D, Asakawa K, Kawakami K, Yokoyama T. The ciliary protein Nek8/Nphp9 acts downstream of Inv/Nphp2 during pronephros morphogenesis and left-right establishment in zebrafish. FEBS Lett. 2012;586:2273-9 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, nek8 mRNA rescued inv morphant phenotypes, although inv mRNA could not rescue nek8 morphant phenotypes. These results suggest that Nek8 acts downstream of Inv function. ..
- Xu P, Zhu K, Jin Y, Chen Y, Sun X, Deng M, et al. Setdb2 restricts dorsal organizer territory and regulates left-right asymmetry through suppressing fgf8 activity. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:2521-6 pubmed publisher..These results provide unique evidence that a SET domain-containing protein potentially involved in the epigenetic control negatively regulates dorsal organizer formation during early embryonic development. ..