Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: cyp26b1
Description: cytochrome P450, family 26, subfamily b, polypeptide 1
Alias: fc21d03, wu:fc21d03, wu:fc26h10, zgc:76999, cytochrome P450 26B1, dol, retinoic acid-metabolizing cytochrome, stocksteif
- Mitchell D, Stevens C, Frey R, Hunter S, Ashino R, Kawamura S, et al. Retinoic Acid Signaling Regulates Differential Expression of the Tandemly-Duplicated Long Wavelength-Sensitive Cone Opsin Genes in Zebrafish. PLoS Genet. 2015;11:e1005483 pubmed publisher..This is the first evidence that an extracellular signal may regulate differential expression of opsin genes in a tandemly duplicated array. ..
- Yin P, Li Y, Chen Q, Liu Z. Diethylstilbestrol, flutamide and their combination impaired the spermatogenesis of male adult zebrafish through disrupting HPG axis, meiosis and apoptosis. Aquat Toxicol. 2017;185:129-137 pubmed publisher..The present study greatly extends our understanding on the mechanisms underlying of reproductive toxicity of environment estrogens and anti-androgens in fish. ..
- Hernandez R, Rikhof H, Bachmann R, Moens C. vhnf1 integrates global RA patterning and local FGF signals to direct posterior hindbrain development in zebrafish. Development. 2004;131:4511-20 pubmed..The different requirements for vhnf1 and val to repress hoxb1a and ephrin-B2a, respectively, demonstrate that not all aspects of an individual rhombomere's identity are regulated coordinately. ..
- McGurk P, Swartz M, Chen J, Galloway J, Eberhart J. In vivo zebrafish morphogenesis shows Cyp26b1 promotes tendon condensation and musculoskeletal patterning in the embryonic jaw. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1007112 pubmed publisher..From a forward genetic screen, we determined that cyp26b1 is critical for musculoskeletal integration in the ventral pharyngeal arches, particularly in the mandibulohyoid ..
- Chang J, Skromne I, Ho R. CDX4 and retinoic acid interact to position the hindbrain-spinal cord transition. Dev Biol. 2016;410:178-189 pubmed publisher..Therefore, interactions between Cyp26a1 and Cdx4 modulate RA levels along the AP axis to segregate the posterior neural plate into the hindbrain and spinal cord territories. ..
- Blum N, Begemann G. Osteoblast de- and redifferentiation are controlled by a dynamic response to retinoic acid during zebrafish fin regeneration. Development. 2015;142:2894-903 pubmed publisher..Stump osteoblasts manage to contribute to the blastema by upregulating expression of the RA-degrading enzyme cyp26b1. Redifferentiation is controlled by a presumptive gradient of RA, in which high RA levels towards the distal tip ..
- Freitas R, Gómez Marín C, Wilson J, Casares F, Gomez Skarmeta J. Hoxd13 contribution to the evolution of vertebrate appendages. Dev Cell. 2012;23:1219-29 pubmed publisher..Our results support the idea that modulation of 5'Hoxd gene expression, by acquisition of novel enhancer elements, offered the substrate for the evolution of fins and the origin of tetrapod limbs. ..
- Jeradi S, Hammerschmidt M. Retinoic acid-induced premature osteoblast-to-preosteocyte transitioning has multiple effects on calvarial development. Development. 2016;143:1205-16 pubmed publisher..in human and zebrafish, hypomorphic mutations of the gene encoding the retinoic acid (RA)-metabolizing enzyme Cyp26b1 result in coronal craniosynostosis, caused by an RA-induced premature transitioning of suture osteoblasts to ..
- Gongal P, March L, Holly V, Pillay L, Berry Wynne K, Kagechika H, et al. Hmx4 regulates Sonic hedgehog signaling through control of retinoic acid synthesis during forebrain patterning. Dev Biol. 2011;355:55-64 pubmed publisher..We propose that Hmx4 is a critical regulator of retinoic acid synthesis in a developing embryo, and that this regulation is essential for controlling Shh signaling and forebrain development. ..
- Reijntjes S, Rodaway A, Maden M. The retinoic acid metabolising gene, CYP26B1, patterns the cartilaginous cranial neural crest in zebrafish. Int J Dev Biol. 2007;51:351-60 pubmedWe have investigated the function of the retinoic acid metabolising enzyme, CYP26B1, by administering an antisense morpholino oligonucleotide to zebrafish embryos...
- Gonzalez Quevedo R, Lee Y, Poss K, Wilkinson D. Neuronal regulation of the spatial patterning of neurogenesis. Dev Cell. 2010;18:136-47 pubmed publisher..population that expresses fibroblast growth factor (fgfr) 2, erm, sox9b, and the retinoic acid degrading enzyme, cyp26b1. FGF receptor activation upregulates expression of these genes and inhibits neurogenesis in segment centers...
- Spoorendonk K, Peterson Maduro J, Renn J, Trowe T, Kranenbarg S, Winkler C, et al. Retinoic acid and Cyp26b1 are critical regulators of osteogenesis in the axial skeleton. Development. 2008;135:3765-74 pubmed publisher..Here, we have analyzed the zebrafish stocksteif mutant, which exhibits severe over-ossification of the entire vertebral column...
- Laue K, Janicke M, Plaster N, Sonntag C, Hammerschmidt M. Restriction of retinoic acid activity by Cyp26b1 is required for proper timing and patterning of osteogenesis during zebrafish development. Development. 2008;135:3775-87 pubmed publisher..based on the positional cloning of the dolphin mutation, we have studied the role of the RA-oxidizing enzyme Cyp26b1 during cartilage and bone development in zebrafish...
- Laue K, Pogoda H, Daniel P, van Haeringen A, Alanay Y, von Ameln S, et al. Craniosynostosis and multiple skeletal anomalies in humans and zebrafish result from a defect in the localized degradation of retinoic acid. Am J Hum Genet. 2011;89:595-606 pubmed publisher..We have identified human null and hypomorphic mutations in the gene encoding the RA-degrading enzyme CYP26B1 that lead to skeletal and craniofacial anomalies, including fusions of long bones, calvarial bone hypoplasia, and ..
- Xi J, Yue J, Yang Z. Expression profiles of retinoic acid synthetases ALDH1As and metabolic enzymes CYP26s in adult and embryonic zebrafish (Danio rerio). Genet Mol Res. 2015;14:3948-56 pubmed publisher..CYP26A1 transcription peaked earlier (8 hpf) than CYP26B1 and CYP26C1 (12 hpf), while CYP26C1 expression dropped to basal levels later (48 hpf) than that of CYP26A1 and ..
- Nelson D. A second CYP26 P450 in humans and zebrafish: CYP26B1. Arch Biochem Biophys. 1999;371:345-7 pubmed..EST is only 41% identical to the zebrafish CYP26A1 protein sequence, so it represents the homolog of the human CYP26B1 sequence...
- White R, Nie Q, Lander A, Schilling T. Complex regulation of cyp26a1 creates a robust retinoic acid gradient in the zebrafish embryo. PLoS Biol. 2007;5:e304 pubmed..Such control also provides an explanation for the fact that loss of an endogenous RA gradient can be compensated for by RA that is provided in a spatially uniform manner. ..
- Chen J, Carney S, Peterson R, Heideman W. Comparative genomics identifies genes mediating cardiotoxicity in the embryonic zebrafish heart. Physiol Genomics. 2008;33:148-58 pubmed publisher..Among the genes rapidly induced by RA was Nr2F5, a member of the COUP-TF family of transcriptional repressors. We found that induction of Nr2F5 was both necessary and sufficient for the cardiotoxic response to RA. ..
- Kinkel M, Sefton E, Kikuchi Y, Mizoguchi T, Ward A, Prince V. Cyp26 enzymes function in endoderm to regulate pancreatic field size. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:7864-9 pubmed publisher..Analysis of the gir mutants further reveals that cyp26b1 and cyp26c1 function redundantly to partially compensate for loss of Cyp26a1 function...
- Wang W, Zhang L, Gui Y, Hu J, Song H. Tbx1 regulates the development of zebrafish neural crest cells by retinoic acid signaling. Chin Med J (Engl). 2013;126:4583-4 pubmed
- Xi Y, Chen D, Sun L, Li Y, Li L. Characterization of zebrafish mutants with defects in bone calcification during development. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2013;440:132-6 pubmed publisher..We examined the expression of bone development marker genes (e.g., Sox9b, Bmp2b, and Cyp26b1, which play important roles in bone formation and calcification)...
- Rodr guez Mar A, Ca estro C, Bremiller R, Catchen J, Yan Y, Postlethwait J. Retinoic acid metabolic genes, meiosis, and gonadal sex differentiation in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e73951 pubmed publisher..Conserved synteny and expression analyses revealed that cyp26a1 in zebrafish and its paralog Cyp26b1 in tetrapods independently became the primary genes encoding enzymes available for gonadal RA-degradation, ..
- Piotrowski T, Schilling T, Brand M, Jiang Y, Heisenberg C, Beuchle D, et al. Jaw and branchial arch mutants in zebrafish II: anterior arches and cartilage differentiation. Development. 1996;123:345-56 pubmed..The mutants presented here may be valuable tools for elucidating the genetic mechanisms that underlie the development of the mandibular and the hyoid arches, as well as the process of cartilage differentiation...
- Pradhan A, Olsson P. Inhibition of retinoic acid synthesis disrupts spermatogenesis and fecundity in zebrafish. Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2015;217-218:81-91 pubmed publisher..RA exposure resulted in up-regulation of the RA metabolizing enzyme genes cyp26a1, cyp26b1 and cyp26c1 in vitro and in vivo...
- Rydeen A, Voisin N, D Aniello E, Ravisankar P, Devignes C, Waxman J. Excessive feedback of Cyp26a1 promotes cell non-autonomous loss of retinoic acid signaling. Dev Biol. 2015;405:47-55 pubmed publisher..Therefore, our results provide novel insights into the teratogenic mechanisms of RA signaling and the cellular mechanisms by which Cyp26a1 expression can shape a RA gradient. ..
- Gibert Y, Samarut E, Pasco Viel E, Bernard L, Borday Birraux V, Sadier A, et al. Altered retinoic acid signalling underpins dentition evolution. Proc Biol Sci. 2015;282: pubmed publisher..Heterozygous adult zebrafish heterozygous for the cyp26b1 mutant that encodes an enzyme able to degrade RA possess an extra tooth in the ventral row...
- Rubbini D, Robert Moreno Ã, Hoijman E, Alsina B. Retinoic Acid Signaling Mediates Hair Cell Regeneration by Repressing p27kip and sox2 in Supporting Cells. J Neurosci. 2015;35:15752-66 pubmed publisher..Our results position RA as an essential signal for hair cell regeneration with relevance in future regenerative strategies in mammals. ..
- Xu S, Cao S, Zou B, Yue Y, Gu C, Chen X, et al. An alternative novel tool for DNA editing without target sequence limitation: the structure-guided nuclease. Genome Biol. 2016;17:186 pubmed publisher..Our results show that the SGN, guided by a pair of gDNAs, cleaves transgenic reporter gene and endogenous genes in zebrafish embryonic genome. ..