Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: cyp26a1
Description: cytochrome P450, family 26, subfamily A, polypeptide 1
Alias: CYP26, P450RAI, cb24, id:ibd5061, wu:fb81e05, cytochrome P450 26A1, cytochrome P450 26, cytochrome P450, subfamily XXVIA, polypeptide 1, cytochrome P450RAI, etID42255.12, gir, giraffe, retinoic acid 4-hydroxylase, retinoic acid-metabolizing cytochrome
- Gongal P, March L, Holly V, Pillay L, Berry Wynne K, Kagechika H, et al. Hmx4 regulates Sonic hedgehog signaling through control of retinoic acid synthesis during forebrain patterning. Dev Biol. 2011;355:55-64 pubmed publisher..We propose that Hmx4 is a critical regulator of retinoic acid synthesis in a developing embryo, and that this regulation is essential for controlling Shh signaling and forebrain development. ..
- Thisse C, Thisse B. High-resolution in situ hybridization to whole-mount zebrafish embryos. Nat Protoc. 2008;3:59-69 pubmed publisher..The whole procedure takes only 3 days and, because ISH conditions are the same for each probe tested, allows high throughput analysis of zebrafish gene expression during embryogenesis. ..
- Alsop D, Matsumoto J, Brown S, Van der Kraak G. Retinoid requirements in the reproduction of zebrafish. Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2008;156:51-62 pubmed
- Skromne I, Thorsen D, Hale M, Prince V, Ho R. Repression of the hindbrain developmental program by Cdx factors is required for the specification of the vertebrate spinal cord. Development. 2007;134:2147-58 pubmed..We propose that by preventing the posterior-most region of the neural plate from following a hindbrain developmental program, Cdx factors help determine the size of the prospective hindbrain and spinal cord territories. ..
- Dal Pra S, Fürthauer M, Van Celst J, Thisse B, Thisse C. Noggin1 and Follistatin-like2 function redundantly to Chordin to antagonize BMP activity. Dev Biol. 2006;298:514-26 pubmed
- Kawakami Y, Raya A, Raya R, Rodriguez Esteban C, Izpisua Belmonte J. Retinoic acid signalling links left-right asymmetric patterning and bilaterally symmetric somitogenesis in the zebrafish embryo. Nature. 2005;435:165-71 pubmed
- Hernandez R, Putzke A, Myers J, Margaretha L, Moens C. Cyp26 enzymes generate the retinoic acid response pattern necessary for hindbrain development. Development. 2007;134:177-87 pubmed..In zebrafish embryos depleted of the orthologs of the three mammalian CYP26 genes CYP26A1, CYP26B1 and CYP26C1, the entire hindbrain expresses RA-responsive genes that are normally restricted to nested ..
- Emoto Y, Wada H, Okamoto H, Kudo A, Imai Y. Retinoic acid-metabolizing enzyme Cyp26a1 is essential for determining territories of hindbrain and spinal cord in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2005;278:415-27 pubmed..Here we characterize a mutant of the zebrafish named giraffe (gir) in which the gene for the RA-degrading enzyme Cyp26a1 is mutated...
- Love C, Prince V. Expression and retinoic acid regulation of the zebrafish nr2f orphan nuclear receptor genes. Dev Dyn. 2012;241:1603-15 pubmed publisher..Our finding that RA positively regulates nr2f1a expression in the trunk supports the possibility that Nr2fs function in a negative feedback loop to modulate RA signaling in this region. ..
- Martin B, Kimelman D. Brachyury establishes the embryonic mesodermal progenitor niche. Genes Dev. 2010;24:2778-83 pubmed publisher..We found that Ntl functions normally to protect the autoregulatory loop from endogenous RA by directly activating cyp26a1 expression...
- Linville A, Radtke K, Waxman J, Yelon D, Schilling T. Combinatorial roles for zebrafish retinoic acid receptors in the hindbrain, limbs and pharyngeal arches. Dev Biol. 2009;325:60-70 pubmed publisher..These studies reveal novel tissue-specific roles for RARs in controlling the competence and sensitivity of cells to respond to RA. ..
- Li M, Wang X, Zhu J, Zhu S, Hu X, Zhu C, et al. Toxic effects of polychlorinated biphenyls on cardiac development in zebrafish. Mol Biol Rep. 2014;41:7973-83 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, PCBs can induce developmental defects in the zebrafish heart, which may be mediated by abnormal RA signaling. ..
- Echeverri K, Oates A. Coordination of symmetric cyclic gene expression during somitogenesis by Suppressor of Hairless involves regulation of retinoic acid catabolism. Dev Biol. 2007;301:388-403 pubmed..Strikingly, expression of the RA-degrading enzyme cyp26a1 in the tailbud was controlled by Su(H) activity, and morpholino knockdown of cyp26a1 alone caused asymmetric ..
- Mandal A, Rydeen A, Anderson J, Sorrell M, Zygmunt T, Torres Vazquez J, et al. Transgenic retinoic acid sensor lines in zebrafish indicate regions of available embryonic retinoic acid. Dev Dyn. 2013;242:989-1000 pubmed publisher..Our novel RA sensor lines will be useful and complementary tools for studying RA signaling during development and anatomical structures independent of RA signaling. ..
- Mahmoudi T, Boj S, Hatzis P, Li V, Taouatas N, Vries R, et al. The leukemia-associated Mllt10/Af10-Dot1l are Tcf4/?-catenin coactivators essential for intestinal homeostasis. PLoS Biol. 2010;8:e1000539 pubmed publisher..The methyltransferase DOT1L may present an attractive candidate for drug targeting in colorectal cancer. ..
- Topczewska J, Shoela R, Tomaszewski J, Mirmira R, Gosain A. The Morphogenesis of Cranial Sutures in Zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0165775 pubmed publisher..The model we develop has implications for the study of human disorders, including craniosynostosis, which affects 1 in 2,500 live births. ..
- Mercader N, Fischer S, Neumann C. Prdm1 acts downstream of a sequential RA, Wnt and Fgf signaling cascade during zebrafish forelimb induction. Development. 2006;133:2805-15 pubmed..tbx5 is required for Fgf signaling in the limb bud leading to activation of prdm1 expression, which in turn is required for downstream activation of fgf10 expression. ..
- Isken A, Holzschuh J, Lampert J, Fischer L, Oberhauser V, Palczewski K, et al. Sequestration of retinyl esters is essential for retinoid signaling in the zebrafish embryo. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:1144-51 pubmed
- Oliveira E, Casado M, Raldua D, Soares A, Barata C, Pina B. Retinoic acid receptors' expression and function during zebrafish early development. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2013;138:143-51 pubmed publisher..These changes did not affect the response to exogenous RA of the known RAR-responsive genes cyp26a1, dhrs3a, hoxb1b, hoxb5a, and hoxb5b...
- Fraher D, Ellis M, Morrison S, McGee S, Ward A, Walder K, et al. Lipid Abundance in Zebrafish Embryos Is Regulated by Complementary Actions of the Endocannabinoid System and Retinoic Acid Pathway. Endocrinology. 2015;156:3596-609 pubmed publisher..Our study shows for the first time that the RA and ECS pathways have additive function in lipid abundance during vertebrate development. ..
- Mu X, Chai T, Wang K, Zhu L, Huang Y, Shen G, et al. The developmental effect of difenoconazole on zebrafish embryos: A mechanism research. Environ Pollut. 2016;212:18-26 pubmed publisher..Genes related to hatching, retinoic acid metabolism and lipid homeostasis were up-regulated by difenoconazole. ..
- Drummond D, Cheng C, Selland L, Hocking J, Prichard L, Waskiewicz A. The role of Zic transcription factors in regulating hindbrain retinoic acid signaling. BMC Dev Biol. 2013;13:31 pubmed publisher..gene aldhehyde dehydrogenase 1a2 (aldh1a2) posteriorly and the oxidative gene cytochrome p450 type 26a1 (cyp26a1) in the forebrain, midbrain, and anterior hindbrain...
- Alsop D, Brown S, Van der Kraak G. The effects of copper and benzo[a]pyrene on retinoids and reproduction in zebrafish. Aquat Toxicol. 2007;82:281-95 pubmed..Specifically that dietary retinoids appear to support normal reproduction in the absence of internal retinoid stores...
- Gu X, Xu F, Song W, Wang X, Hu P, Yang Y, et al. A novel cytochrome P450, zebrafish Cyp26D1, is involved in metabolism of all-trans retinoic acid. Mol Endocrinol. 2006;20:1661-72 pubmed..The metabolites of all-trans RA produced by Cyp26D1 were the same as that produced by Cyp26A1, which are mainly 4-hydroxy-all-trans-RA and 4-oxo-all-trans-RA...
- Rubbini D, Robert Moreno Ã, Hoijman E, Alsina B. Retinoic Acid Signaling Mediates Hair Cell Regeneration by Repressing p27kip and sox2 in Supporting Cells. J Neurosci. 2015;35:15752-66 pubmed publisher..Our results position RA as an essential signal for hair cell regeneration with relevance in future regenerative strategies in mammals. ..
- Blum N, Begemann G. Osteoblast de- and redifferentiation are controlled by a dynamic response to retinoic acid during zebrafish fin regeneration. Development. 2015;142:2894-903 pubmed publisher..Our findings reveal a mechanism explaining how the osteoblast regenerative program is protected from adverse crosstalk with neighboring fibroblasts that advances our understanding of the regulation of bone repair by RA. ..
- Xi J, Yue J, Yang Z. Expression profiles of retinoic acid synthetases ALDH1As and metabolic enzymes CYP26s in adult and embryonic zebrafish (Danio rerio). Genet Mol Res. 2015;14:3948-56 pubmed publisher..b>CYP26A1 transcription peaked earlier (8 hpf) than CYP26B1 and CYP26C1 (12 hpf), while CYP26C1 expression dropped to basal ..
- Rydeen A, Waxman J. Cyp26 Enzymes Facilitate Second Heart Field Progenitor Addition and Maintenance of Ventricular Integrity. PLoS Biol. 2016;14:e2000504 pubmed publisher..Here, we show zebrafish embryos deficient for Cyp26a1 and Cyp26c1 enzymes, which promote RA degradation, have OFT defects resulting from two mechanisms: first, a ..
- Chen L, Hu C, Huang C, Wang Q, Wang X, Yang L, et al. Alterations in retinoid status after long-term exposure to PBDEs in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Aquat Toxicol. 2012;120-121:11-8 pubmed publisher..This study also indicated that retinoid levels in zebrafish are sensitive to PBDE exposure and highlighted the importance of liver storage, which appears to support important functions in reproduction and vision. ..
- van der Velden Y, Wang L, Querol Cano L, Haramis A. The polycomb group protein ring1b/rnf2 is specifically required for craniofacial development. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e73997 pubmed publisher..The zebrafish ring1b mutant provides a molecular model for investigating these mechanisms and may lead to the discovery of new treatments or preventions of craniofacial abnormalities. ..
- Grandel H, Brand M. Zebrafish limb development is triggered by a retinoic acid signal during gastrulation. Dev Dyn. 2011;240:1116-26 pubmed publisher..Preceding the lack of tbx5-expressing limb precursors in RA deficient zebrafish embryos, aldh1a2 and cyp26a1 expression domains are distorted along the gastrula margin suggesting that positional values in the ventrolateral ..
- Burkhalter M, Fralish G, Premont R, Caron M, Philipp M. Grk5l controls heart development by limiting mTOR signaling during symmetry breaking. Cell Rep. 2013;4:625-32 pubmed publisher..These findings could implicate GRK5 as a susceptibility allele for certain cases of CHD. ..
- Varga M, Maegawa S, Weinberg E. Correct anteroposterior patterning of the zebrafish neurectoderm in the absence of the early dorsal organizer. BMC Dev Biol. 2011;11:26 pubmed publisher..We also show that the zebrafish embryo can form a radial diffuse neural sheath in the absence of both BMP signaling and the early organizer. ..
- Kapp L, Abrams E, Marlow F, Mullins M. The integrator complex subunit 6 (Ints6) confines the dorsal organizer in vertebrate embryogenesis. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003822 pubmed publisher..Our results are consistent with a novel role for Ints6 in restricting the vertebrate organizer to a dorsal domain in embryonic patterning...
- Xu T, Chen L, Hu C, Zhou B. Effects of acute exposure to polybrominated diphenyl ethers on retinoid signaling in zebrafish larvae. Environ Toxicol Pharmacol. 2013;35:13-20 pubmed publisher..Overall, the results indicated that acute exposure to PBDEs could disturb retinoid signaling and may impact on eye development of zebrafish larvae. ..
- Hamade A, Deries M, Begemann G, Bally Cuif L, Genet C, Sabatier F, et al. Retinoic acid activates myogenesis in vivo through Fgf8 signalling. Dev Biol. 2006;289:127-40 pubmed..We propose that, in the developing embryo, localised synthesis of RA by Raldh2 in the anterior psm and in somites activates fgf8 expression which in turn induces the expression of myogenic genes and fast muscle differentiation. ..
- Wei Y, Ma D, Gao Y, Zhang C, Wang L, Liu F. Ncor2 is required for hematopoietic stem cell emergence by inhibiting Fos signaling in zebrafish. Blood. 2014;124:1578-85 pubmed publisher..Thus, our findings identify a novel regulatory mechanism for Ncor2 through Fos-Vegfd-Notch signaling cascade during HSC development in zebrafish embryos. ..
- Rydeen A, Voisin N, D Aniello E, Ravisankar P, Devignes C, Waxman J. Excessive feedback of Cyp26a1 promotes cell non-autonomous loss of retinoic acid signaling. Dev Biol. 2015;405:47-55 pubmed publisher..loss-of-function phenotypes result from a clearing of embryonic RA that requires a rapid and dramatic increase in cyp26a1 expression...
- Hagos E, Dougan S. Time-dependent patterning of the mesoderm and endoderm by Nodal signals in zebrafish. BMC Dev Biol. 2007;7:22 pubmed
- Xiao Y, Jiang J, Hu W, Zhao Y, Hu J. Toxicity of triphenyltin on the development of retinal axons in zebrafish at low dose. Aquat Toxicol. 2017;189:9-15 pubmed publisher..Expression levels of the CYP26A1 gene and protein were significantly up-regulated in all exposure groups compared with the control, which may lead ..
- Franzosa J, Bugel S, Tal T, La Du J, Tilton S, Waters K, et al. Retinoic acid-dependent regulation of miR-19 expression elicits vertebrate axis defects. FASEB J. 2013;27:4866-76 pubmed publisher..Our results uncovered a role of miR-19 family members in controlling RA metabolism through the regulation of CYP26A1 during vertebrate axis formation...
- Chang J, Skromne I, Ho R. CDX4 and retinoic acid interact to position the hindbrain-spinal cord transition. Dev Biol. 2016;410:178-189 pubmed publisher..RA degradation in the presumptive spinal cord domain by suppressing expression of the RA degradation enzyme, Cyp26a1. In the hindbrain, RA signaling modulates its own concentration by activating the expression of cyp26a1 and ..
- Wei C, Wang H, Zhu Z, Sun Y. Transcriptional factors smad1 and smad9 act redundantly to mediate zebrafish ventral specification downstream of smad5. J Biol Chem. 2014;289:6604-18 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our study uncovers that smad1 and smad9 act redundantly to each other downstream of smad5 to mediate ventral specification and to regulate embryonic myelopoiesis. ..
- Xu F, Li K, Tian M, Hu P, Song W, Chen J, et al. N-CoR is required for patterning the anterior-posterior axis of zebrafish hindbrain by actively repressing retinoid signaling. Mech Dev. 2009;126:771-80 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results demonstrate that N-CoR is essential for early hindbrain patterning by actively repressing retinoid signaling. ..
- Kinkel M, Sefton E, Kikuchi Y, Mizoguchi T, Ward A, Prince V. Cyp26 enzymes function in endoderm to regulate pancreatic field size. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:7864-9 pubmed publisher..The cyp26a1 gene is expressed in the anterior trunk endoderm at developmental stages when RA is signaling to specify pancreas,..
- Li J, Hu P, Li K, Zhao Q. Identification and characterization of a novel retinoic acid response element in zebrafish cyp26a1 promoter. Anat Rec (Hoboken). 2012;295:268-77 pubmed publisherb>Cyp26A1 is a major enzyme that controls retinoic acid (RA) homeostasis by metabolizing RA into bio-inactive metabolites...
- Wang W, Zhang L, Gui Y, Hu J, Song H. Tbx1 regulates the development of zebrafish neural crest cells by retinoic acid signaling. Chin Med J (Engl). 2013;126:4583-4 pubmed
- Pradhan A, Olsson P. Inhibition of retinoic acid synthesis disrupts spermatogenesis and fecundity in zebrafish. Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2015;217-218:81-91 pubmed publisher..RA exposure resulted in up-regulation of the RA metabolizing enzyme genes cyp26a1, cyp26b1 and cyp26c1 in vitro and in vivo...
- Rodr guez Mar A, Ca estro C, Bremiller R, Catchen J, Yan Y, Postlethwait J. Retinoic acid metabolic genes, meiosis, and gonadal sex differentiation in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e73951 pubmed publisher..Conserved synteny and expression analyses revealed that cyp26a1 in zebrafish and its paralog Cyp26b1 in tetrapods independently became the primary genes encoding enzymes ..
- Shimizu T, Bae Y, Hibi M. Cdx-Hox code controls competence for responding to Fgfs and retinoic acid in zebrafish neural tissue. Development. 2006;133:4709-19 pubmed..Our results indicate that the Cdx-Hox code modifies tissue competence to respond to Fgfs and RA in neural tissue. ..
- Das B, McCartin K, Liu T, Peterson R, Evans T. A forward chemical screen in zebrafish identifies a retinoic acid derivative with receptor specificity. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e10004 pubmed publisher..Our screen has identified a novel retinoid with specificity for retinoid receptors. This lead compound may be useful for manipulating components of retinoid signaling networks, and may be further derivatized for enhanced activity. ..
- Isales G, Hipszer R, Raftery T, Chen A, Stapleton H, Volz D. Triphenyl phosphate-induced developmental toxicity in zebrafish: potential role of the retinoic acid receptor. Aquat Toxicol. 2015;161:221-30 pubmed publisher..Using real-time PCR, we then quantified the relative change in expression of cytochrome P450 26a1 (cyp26a1) - a major target gene for RA-induced RAR activation in zebrafish - and found that RA and TPP ..
- Londin E, Niemiec J, Sirotkin H. Chordin, FGF signaling, and mesodermal factors cooperate in zebrafish neural induction. Dev Biol. 2005;279:1-19 pubmed..Our results support a model in which specification of anterior neural tissue requires early FGF-mediated repression of BMP transcript levels and later activities of Chordin and mesodermal factors. ..
- Hu P, Tian M, Bao J, Xing G, Gu X, Gao X, et al. Retinoid regulation of the zebrafish cyp26a1 promoter. Dev Dyn. 2008;237:3798-808 pubmed publisherb>Cyp26A1 is a major enzyme that controls retinoic acid (RA) homeostasis by metabolizing RA into bio-inactive metabolites...
- White J, Beckett Jones B, Guo Y, Dilworth F, Bonasoro J, Jones G, et al. cDNA cloning of human retinoic acid-metabolizing enzyme (hP450RAI) identifies a novel family of cytochromes P450. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:18538-41 pubmed..by RA in certain human tumor cell lines and further show that RA-inducible RA metabolism may correlate with P450RAI expression...
- de Groh E, Swanhart L, Cosentino C, Jackson R, Dai W, Kitchens C, et al. Inhibition of histone deacetylase expands the renal progenitor cell population. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2010;21:794-802 pubmed publisher..In summary, these results support a mechanistic link among renal progenitor cells, HDAC, and the retinoid pathway. Whether PTBA holds promise as a therapeutic agent to promote renal regeneration requires further study. ..
- Naylor R, Skvarca L, Thisse C, Thisse B, Hukriede N, Davidson A. BMP and retinoic acid regulate anterior-posterior patterning of the non-axial mesoderm across the dorsal-ventral axis. Nat Commun. 2016;7:12197 pubmed publisher..anterior kidney fates while posterior kidney progenitors are protected ventrally by the RA-catabolizing enzyme Cyp26a1. This work clarifies our understanding of vertebrate axis orientation and establishes a new paradigm for how the ..
- Wang X, Zhou L, Jin J, Yang Y, Song G, Shen Y, et al. Knockdown of FABP3 impairs cardiac development in Zebra?sh through the retinoic acid signaling pathway. Int J Mol Sci. 2013;14:13826-41 pubmed publisher..Mechanistically, our data showed that the retinoic acid (RA) catabolizing enzyme Cyp26a1 was upregulated in FABP3-MO zebrafish, as indicated by in situ hybridization and real-time PCR...
- D Aniello E, Ravisankar P, Waxman J. Rdh10a Provides a Conserved Critical Step in the Synthesis of Retinoic Acid during Zebrafish Embryogenesis. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0138588 pubmed publisher..Altogether, our results demonstrate that Rdh10a has a conserved requirement in the first step of RA production within vertebrate embryos. ..
- Valdivia L, Lamb D, Horner W, Wierzbicki C, Tafessu A, Williams A, et al. Antagonism between Gdf6a and retinoic acid pathways controls timing of retinal neurogenesis and growth of the eye in zebrafish. Development. 2016;143:1087-98 pubmed publisher..Together, our results support a model in which dorsally expressed gdf6a limits RA pathway activity to control the transition from proliferation to differentiation in the growing eye. ..
- Chen C, Stedman A, Havis E, Anselme I, Onichtchouk D, Giudicelli F, et al. Initiation of cyp26a1 Expression in the Zebrafish Anterior Neural Plate by a Novel Cis-Acting Element. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0150639 pubmed publisher..The cyp26a1 gene expressed in the anterior neural plate thus contributes to the fine modulation of the rostrocaudal retinoic ..
- Nelson D. A second CYP26 P450 in humans and zebrafish: CYP26B1. Arch Biochem Biophys. 1999;371:345-7 pubmedA new P450 gene has been found in humans. It has 44% sequence identity to CYP26A1 from human and mouse, which places it in a new subfamily, CYP26B...