Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: cyp17a1
Description: cytochrome P450, family 17, subfamily A, polypeptide 1
Alias: P450c17, cyp17, wu:fi13g04, wu:fi17b11, wu:fi31c08, zgc:136516, zgc:66494, steroid 17-alpha-hydroxylase/17,20 lyase
- Siegenthaler P, Bain P, Riva F, Fent K. Effects of antiandrogenic progestins, chlormadinone and cyproterone acetate, and the estrogen 17?-ethinylestradiol (EE2), and their mixtures: Transactivation with human and rainbowfish hormone receptors and transcriptional effects in zebrafish (Danio. Aquat Toxicol. 2017;182:142-162 pubmed publisher..The lack of agonistic activities of both progestins to rainbowfish PGR and AR is the probable reason for the low activity found in zebrafish eleuthero-embryos. ..
- Shi J, Jiao Z, Zheng S, Li M, Zhang J, Feng Y, et al. Long-term effects of bisphenol AF (BPAF) on hormonal balance and genes of hypothalamus-pituitary-gonad axis and liver of zebrafish (Danio rerio), and the impact on offspring. Chemosphere. 2015;128:252-7 pubmed publisher..A potential consequence of adverse effects in the offspring by BPAF deserves further investigation. ..
- Sohn J, Kim S, Koschorreck J, Kho Y, Choi K. Alteration of sex hormone levels and steroidogenic pathway by several low molecular weight phthalates and their metabolites in male zebrafish (Danio rerio) and/or human adrenal cell (H295R) line. J Hazard Mater. 2016;320:45-54 pubmed publisher..Our results show that not only DEP, BBzP, and DiBP, but also their hydrolytic metabolites disrupt sex hormone balances through modulating key steroidogenic genes in the human adrenal cells and in zebrafish. ..
- Deng J, Liu C, Yu L, Zhou B. Chronic exposure to environmental levels of tribromophenol impairs zebrafish reproduction. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2010;243:87-95 pubmed publisher..The transcription of steroidogenic genes (3beta-HSD, 17beta-HSD, CYP17, CYP19A, CYP19B) was significantly upregulated in the brain and testes in males and downregulated in the brain and ..
- Tan T, Yu R, Wu R, Kong R. Overexpression and Knockdown of Hypoxia-Inducible Factor 1 Disrupt the Expression of Steroidogenic Enzyme Genes and Early Embryonic Development in Zebrafish. Gene Regul Syst Bio. 2017;11:1177625017713193 pubmed publisher..Eight of the genes, CYP11a, CYP11b2, 3?-HSD, HMGCR, CYP17a1, 17?-HSD2, CYP19a, and CYP19b, were found to be differentially upregulated at 24 and 48 hpf following ..
- Liang Y, Huang G, Ying G, Liu S, Jiang Y, Liu S, et al. A time-course transcriptional kinetics of the hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal and hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axes in zebrafish eleutheroembryos after exposure to norgestrel. Environ Toxicol Chem. 2015;34:112-9 pubmed publisher..Taken together, the overall results imply that the transcriptional changes in zebrafish eleutheroembryos may pose a potential effect on embryonic development, in particular in the brain and gonadogenesis. ..
- Cao F, Zhu L, Li H, Yu S, Wang C, Qiu L. Reproductive toxicity of azoxystrobin to adult zebrafish (Danio rerio). Environ Pollut. 2016;219:1109-1121 pubmed publisher..fshb, lhb, fshr and lhr), steroid hormone receptors (era, er2b and ar), steroidogenic enzymes (cyp11a, cyp11b, cyp17, cyp19a, cyp19b, hsd3b and hsd17b) in the hypothalamic-pituitary-gonad (HPG) axis and vitellogenin (vtg1 and vtg2) ..
- Jiang W, Yang Y, Zhao D, Liu X, Duan J, Xie S, et al. Effects of sexual steroids on the expression of foxl2 in Gobiocypris rarus. Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol. 2011;160:187-93 pubmed publisher..rarus, foxl2 mRNA expression is regulated by downstream sex hormones, and foxl2 can be used as a molecular indicator monitoring the environmental endocrine disruptors. ..
- Jo A, Ji K, Choi K. Endocrine disruption effects of long-term exposure to perfluorodecanoic acid (PFDA) and perfluorotridecanoic acid (PFTrDA) in zebrafish (Danio rerio) and related mechanisms. Chemosphere. 2014;108:360-6 pubmed publisher..Consequences of endocrine disruptions in reproduction performances of the fish warrant further investigation. ..
- Diotel N, Do Rego J, Anglade I, Vaillant C, Pellegrini E, Gueguen M, et al. Activity and expression of steroidogenic enzymes in the brain of adult zebrafish. Eur J Neurosci. 2011;34:45-56 pubmed publisher..show by in situ hybridization that messengers for key steroidogenic enzymes, such as Cyp11a1 (P450(SCC)), 3?-Hsd, Cyp17 and Cyp19a1b, are widely expressed in the forebrain where they exhibit an overall similar pattern...
- Du G, Hu J, Huang H, Qin Y, Han X, Wu D, et al. Perfluorooctane sulfonate (PFOS) affects hormone receptor activity, steroidogenesis, and expression of endocrine-related genes in vitro and in vivo. Environ Toxicol Chem. 2013;32:353-60 pubmed publisher..gene (hhex and pax8) expression in a concentration-dependent manner, decreased steroidogenic enzyme gene (CYP17, CYP19a, CYP19b) expression, and changed the expression pattern of estrogen receptor production genes (esr1, esr2b)..
- Caulier M, Brion F, Chadili E, Turies C, Piccini B, Porcher J, et al. Localization of steroidogenic enzymes and Foxl2a in the gonads of mature zebrafish (Danio rerio). Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol. 2015;188:96-106 pubmed publisher..better characterize the expression pattern of steroidogenic enzymes involved in estrogen and androgen production (Cyp17-I, Cyp11c1, Cyp19a1a and Cyp19a1b) and one of their regulators (Foxl2a) in zebrafish gonads...
- Li X, Guo J, Li X, Zhou H, Zhang S, Liu X, et al. Behavioural effect of low-dose BPA on male zebrafish: Tuning of male mating competition and female mating preference during courtship process. Chemosphere. 2017;169:40-52 pubmed publisher..In sum, our results shed light on the potential behavioural and physiological effect of low-dose BPA exposure on courtship behaviours of zebrafish, which could exert profound consequences on natural zebrafish populations. ..
- Jia Z, Liu D, Sheng C, Casida J, Wang C, Song P, et al. Acute toxicity, bioconcentration, elimination and antioxidant effects of fluralaner in zebrafish, Danio rerio. Environ Pollut. 2018;232:183-190 pubmed publisher..Among them, the activities of CAT and CarE, and most mRNA expression level of CYPs showed fast response to the sub-lethal concentration of fluralaner, which could be used as a biomarker relevant to the toxicity. ..
- Vignet C, Larcher T, Davail B, Joassard L, Le Menach K, Guionnet T, et al. Fish Reproduction Is Disrupted upon Lifelong Exposure to Environmental PAHs Fractions Revealing Different Modes of Action. Toxics. 2016;4: pubmed publisher..Taken altogether, these results indicate that PAHs can indeed disrupt fish reproduction and that different fractions trigger different pathways resulting in different effects. ..
- Ji K, Liu X, Lee S, Kang S, Kho Y, Giesy J, et al. Effects of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs on hormones and genes of the hypothalamic-pituitary-gonad axis, and reproduction of zebrafish. J Hazard Mater. 2013;254-255:242-51 pubmed publisher..The results demonstrated that ibuprofen could modulate hormone production and related gene transcription of the HPG axis in a sex-dependent way, which could cause adverse effects on reproduction and the development of offspring. ..
- Wang Y, Ge W. Cloning of zebrafish ovarian P450c17 (CYP17, 17alpha-hydroxylase/17, 20-lyase) and characterization of its expression in gonadal and extra-gonadal tissues. Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2004;135:241-9 pubmedCytochrome P450c17 (CYP17, 17alpha-hydroxylase/17, 20-lyase) has been viewed as a critical enzyme for the biosynthesis of gonadal and adrenal steroids in vertebrates...
- Skaar K, Nóbrega R, Magaraki A, Olsen L, Schulz R, Male R. Proteolytically activated, recombinant anti-mullerian hormone inhibits androgen secretion, proliferation, and differentiation of spermatogonia in adult zebrafish testis organ cultures. Endocrinology. 2011;152:3527-40 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, zebrafish Amh is processed to become bioactive and has independent functions in inhibiting both steroidogenesis and spermatogenesis...
- Nobrega R, Greebe C, van de Kant H, Bogerd J, de França L, Schulz R. Spermatogonial stem cell niche and spermatogonial stem cell transplantation in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2010;5: pubmed publisher..This might be attributed to the testicular microenvironment created after busulfan depletion in the recipients, which may have caused an imbalance between factors regulating self-renewal or differentiation of the transplanted SSCs. ..
- Zhao F, Wei P, Wang J, Yu M, Zhang X, Tian H, et al. Estrogenic effects associated with bisphenol a exposure in male zebrafish (Danio rerio) is associated with changes of endogenous 17?-estradiol and gene specific DNA methylation levels. Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2017;252:27-35 pubmed publisher..body homogenate, plasma E2 and testosterone levels, hepatic ERs mRNA expressions, gonadal cyp19a1a and cyp17a1 mRNA expressions, and methylation levels of hepatic esr1 and gonadal cyp19a1a's promoters were determined...
- Filby A, Paull G, Searle F, Ortiz Zarragoitia M, Tyler C. Environmental estrogen-induced alterations of male aggression and dominance hierarchies in fish: a mechanistic analysis. Environ Sci Technol. 2012;46:3472-9 pubmed publisher..Plasma androgen and the expression of genes involved in sex steroid production/signaling (cyp19a1b, cyp17, hsd11b2, hsd17b3, ar) and aggression (avplrv1b, tph1b, htr1a, sst1, sstr1, th, slc6a3, ar) were higher in control ..
- Baudiffier D, Hinfray N, Ravaud C, Creusot N, Chadili E, Porcher J, et al. Effect of in vivo chronic exposure to clotrimazole on zebrafish testis function. Environ Sci Pollut Res Int. 2013;20:2747-60 pubmed publisher..Our study demonstrated that clotrimazole is able to affect testicular physiology and raised further concern about the impact of clotrimazole on reproduction. ..
- Liang Y, Huang G, Ying G, Liu S, Jiang Y, Liu S, et al. The effects of progesterone on transcriptional expression profiles of genes associated with hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal and hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axes during the early development of zebrafish (Danio rerio). Chemosphere. 2015;128:199-206 pubmed publisher..The overall results from the present study indicate that P4 at environmentally relevant concentrations could cause the potential effects on zebrafish reproductive and adrenal endocrine systems by interfering with the HPG and HPA axes. ..
- Liu H, Sheng N, Zhang W, Dai J. Toxic effects of perfluorononanoic acid on the development of Zebrafish (Danio rerio) embryos. J Environ Sci (China). 2015;32:26-34 pubmed publisher..However, the mRNA expression levels of both ppara and pparg did not show any significant variation after exposure. These findings suggest that PFNA affected the development of zebrafish embryos at relatively low concentrations. ..
- Ings J, van der Kraak G. Characterization of the mRNA expression of StAR and steroidogenic enzymes in zebrafish ovarian follicles. Mol Reprod Dev. 2006;73:943-54 pubmed..StAR, P450 side chain cleavage (P450scc), 3beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase (3beta-HSD), P450 hydroxylase/lyase (P450c17), 17beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1 (17beta-HSD1), 17beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 3 (17beta-..
- Filby A, Paull G, Bartlett E, Van Look K, Tyler C. Physiological and health consequences of social status in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Physiol Behav. 2010;101:576-87 pubmed publisher..The wide-ranging physiological differences seen between dominant and subordinate zebrafish as a consequence of their social status suggest negative health impacts for subordinates after prolonged durations in those hierarchies. ..
- Hinfray N, Nobrega R, Caulier M, Baudiffier D, Maillot Marechal E, Chadili E, et al. Cyp17a1 and Cyp19a1 in the zebrafish testis are differentially affected by oestradiol. J Endocrinol. 2013;216:375-88 pubmed publisher..plating, while protein synthesis was studied by immunohistochemistry using specific antibodies against zebrafish Cyp17a1, Cyp19a1a and Cyp19a1b...
- Yu M, Zhang X, Guo L, Tian H, Wang W, Ru S. Anti-estrogenic effect of semicarbazide in female zebrafish (Danio rerio) and its potential mechanisms. Aquat Toxicol. 2016;170:262-270 pubmed publisher..of the mRNA expression of 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme A reductase, steroidogenic acute regulatory protein, CYP17, and 17beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase was observed; this was predicted to reduce T concentrations and further ..
- Wang P, Du Z, Gao S, Zhang X, Giesy J. Impairment of reproduction of adult zebrafish (Danio rerio) by binary mixtures of environmentally relevant concentrations of triclocarban and inorganic mercury. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf. 2016;134P1:124-132 pubmed publisher..mixtures might be due to altered transcription of genes involved in steroidogenesis, such as cyp19a, 3beta-HSD, cyp17, 17beta-HSD and modulated concentrations of testosterone and estradiol in blood plasma...
- Ma Y, Cao C, Wang Q, Gui W, Zhu G. Effects of azocyclotin on gene transcription and steroid metabolome of hypothalamic-pituitary-gonad axis, and their consequences on reproduction in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Aquat Toxicol. 2016;179:55-64 pubmed publisher..expression of key genes associated with reproductive endocrine pathways in the pituitary (lh?), gonad (cyp19a1a, cyp17a1 and 17?-hsd3), and liver (vtg1, vtg2, cyp1a1, comt, ugt1a and gstp1) were correlated with significant reductions ..
- Liu C, Yu L, Deng J, Lam P, Wu R, Zhou B. Waterborne exposure to fluorotelomer alcohol 6:2 FTOH alters plasma sex hormone and gene transcription in the hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal (HPG) axis of zebrafish. Aquat Toxicol. 2009;93:131-7 pubmed publisher..of the T level is consistent with the up-regulation of cytochrome P450 c17alpha-hydroxylase, 17, 20-lase (CYP17) and the down-regulation of cytochrome P450 aromatase A (CYP19A)...
- Ji K, Hong S, Kho Y, Choi K. Effects of bisphenol s exposure on endocrine functions and reproduction of zebrafish. Environ Sci Technol. 2013;47:8793-800 pubmed publisher..decreases of testosterone concentration were observed along with up-regulation of cyp19a and down-regulation of cyp17 and 17?hsd transcripts...
- Liu X, Ji K, Choi K. Endocrine disruption potentials of organophosphate flame retardants and related mechanisms in H295R and MVLN cell lines and in zebrafish. Aquat Toxicol. 2012;114-115:173-81 pubmed publisher..Among males, both T and 11-KT decreased and E2 increased. In general, transcription of CYP17 and CYP19a genes was significantly up-regulated in both sexes, while vitellogenin (VTG) 1 gene was down- and up-..
- Chu L, Li J, Liu Y, Hu W, Cheng C. Targeted gene disruption in zebrafish reveals noncanonical functions of LH signaling in reproduction. Mol Endocrinol. 2014;28:1785-95 pubmed publisher..LH signaling is demonstrated to control oocyte maturation and ovulation in the ovary. ..
- Du G, Huang H, Hu J, Qin Y, Wu D, Song L, et al. Endocrine-related effects of perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) in zebrafish, H295R steroidogenesis and receptor reporter gene assays. Chemosphere. 2013;91:1099-106 pubmed publisher..The current findings indicated the potential endocrine-related effects of PFOA and provided novel information for human risk assessment. ..
- Trant J, Gavasso S, Ackers J, Chung B, Place A. Developmental expression of cytochrome P450 aromatase genes (CYP19a and CYP19b) in zebrafish fry (Danio rerio). J Exp Zool. 2001;290:475-83 pubmed..J. Exp. Zool. 290:475-483, 2001. ..
- Zhang W, Sheng N, Wang M, Zhang H, Dai J. Zebrafish reproductive toxicity induced by chronic perfluorononanoate exposure. Aquat Toxicol. 2016;175:269-76 pubmed publisher..The results of this study indicate that chronic exposure to PFNA can lead to dysfunction in the HPGL axis and sex hormone synthesis and cause adverse effects on fish reproduction. ..
- Yang Q, Yang X, Liu J, Ren W, Chen Y, Shen S. Effects of BPF on steroid hormone homeostasis and gene expression in the hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal axis of zebrafish. Environ Sci Pollut Res Int. 2017;24:21311-21322 pubmed publisher..These alterations suggest that BPF leads to adverse effects on the endocrine system of teleost fish, and that these effects were more prominent in males than in females. ..
- Yu R, Chu D, Tan T, Li V, Chan A, Giesy J, et al. Leptin-mediated modulation of steroidogenic gene expression in hypoxic zebrafish embryos: implications for the disruption of sex steroids. Environ Sci Technol. 2012;46:9112-9 pubmed publisher..window when steroidogenesis is unregulated by pituitary influence, resulted in the up-regulation of cyp11a, cyp17, and 3?-hsd and the down-regulation of cyp19a...
- Pradhan A, Asnake S, Kharlyngdoh J, Modig C, Olsson P. In silico and biological analysis of anti-androgen activity of the brominated flame retardants ATE, BATE and DPTE in zebrafish. Chem Biol Interact. 2015;233:35-45 pubmed publisher..Genes involved in steroidogenesis were also down-regulated by these BFRs. In view of this, the impact of these BFRs on humans and wildlife needs further analysis. ..
- Pallan P, Nagy L, Lei L, Gonzalez E, Kramlinger V, Azumaya C, et al. Structural and kinetic basis of steroid 17α,20-lyase activity in teleost fish cytochrome P450 17A1 and its absence in cytochrome P450 17A2. J Biol Chem. 2015;290:3248-68 pubmed publisher..These residues may allow the proposed alternative ferric peroxide mechanism for the lyase reaction, or residues removed from the active site may allow conformations that lead to the lyase activity. ..
- Hinfray N, Baudiffier D, Leal M, Porcher J, Aït Aïssa S, Le Gac F, et al. Characterization of testicular expression of P450 17?-hydroxylase, 17,20-lyase in zebrafish and its perturbation by the pharmaceutical fungicide clotrimazole. Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2011;174:309-17 pubmed publisherThe aim of the present study was to characterize P450 17?-hydroxylase/17,20-lyase (cyp17a1) expression in zebrafish and to assess the effect of the pharmaceutical clotrimazole, a known inhibitor of various cytochrome P450 enzyme ..
- Hoffmann J, Oris J. Altered gene expression: a mechanism for reproductive toxicity in zebrafish exposed to benzo[a]pyrene. Aquat Toxicol. 2006;78:332-40 pubmed..gonadotropins (follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) and luteinizing hormone (LH)), steroidogenic enzymes (CYP11A1, CYP17, CYP19A1, CYP19A2 and 20beta-HSD), estrogen receptor beta (ERbeta) and vitellogenin...
- Chen C, Wen H, Wang Z, He F, Zhang J, Chen X, et al. Cloning and expression of P450c17-I (17?-hydroxylase/17,20-lyase) in brain and ovary during gonad development in Cynoglossus semilaevis. Fish Physiol Biochem. 2010;36:1001-12 pubmed publisher..A 2,469 bp full length cDNA of P450c17-I (CYP17A1) has been isolated from the ovary of half-smooth tongue sole, Cynoglossus semilaevis which encodes 509 amino ..
- Hua J, Han J, Wang X, Guo Y, Zhou B. The binary mixtures of megestrol acetate and 17?-ethynylestradiol adversely affect zebrafish reproduction. Environ Pollut. 2016;213:776-784 pubmed publisher..This study has important implications for environmental risk assessment of synthetic hormones that are concurrently present in aquatic systems. ..
- Lin Q, Mei J, Li Z, Zhang X, Zhou L, Gui J. Distinct and Cooperative Roles of amh and dmrt1 in Self-Renewal and Differentiation of Male Germ Cells in Zebrafish. Genetics. 2017;207:1007-1022 pubmed publisher..Significantly, this study unravels novel functions of amh gene in fish. ..
- Tang H, Chen Y, Liu Y, Yin Y, Li G, Guo Y, et al. New Insights Into the Role of Estrogens in Male Fertility Based on Findings in Aromatase-Deficient Zebrafish. Endocrinology. 2017;158:3042-3054 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our findings indicate that estrogens are not needed to achieve and maintain normal fertility in male zebrafish. This finding challenges the traditional view that estrogens are indispensable for male fertility. ..
- Collard H, Ji K, Lee S, Liu X, Kang S, Kho Y, et al. Toxicity and endocrine disruption in zebrafish (Danio rerio) and two freshwater invertebrates (Daphnia magna and Moina macrocopa) after chronic exposure to mefenamic acid. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf. 2013;94:80-6 pubmed publisher..However, the effective concentrations are orders of magnitude greater than those occurring in the ambient aquatic environment. ..
- Kang H, Moon H, Choi K. Toxicological responses following short-term exposure through gavage feeding or water-borne exposure to Dechlorane Plus in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Chemosphere. 2016;146:226-32 pubmed publisher..Our observations indicate for the first time that DP disrupts thyroid hormone balance of zebrafish by altering regulatory pathways in the brain. Handling editor: David Volz. ..
- Lee S, Jung D, Kho Y, Ji K, Kim P, Ahn B, et al. Ecotoxicological assessment of cimetidine and determination of its potential for endocrine disruption using three test organisms: Daphnia magna, Moina macrocopa, and Danio rerio. Chemosphere. 2015;135:208-16 pubmed publisher..In male, decrease in plasma 17Î²-estradiol and testosterone levels, up-regulation of gonadal cyp17, and down-regulation of hepatic erÎ± were observed at 300 mg L(-1)...