Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: cyp11c1
Description: cytochrome P450, family 11, subfamily C, polypeptide 1
Alias: cyp11b2, cytochrome P450, family 11, subfamily C, polypeptide 1, cyp11b, cytochrome P450, family 11, subfamily B, polypeptide 2, cytochrome P45011B
- Han J, Wang Q, Wang X, Li Y, Wen S, Liu S, et al. The synthetic progestin megestrol acetate adversely affects zebrafish reproduction. Aquat Toxicol. 2014;150:66-72 pubmed publisher..The present study showed that MTA is a potent endocrine disruptor in fish, and short-term exposure to MTA could significantly affect reproduction in fish and negatively impact the fish population. ..
- Lin C, Shih T, Liu S, Hsu H, Hwang P. Cortisol Regulates Acid Secretion of H(+)-ATPase-rich Ionocytes in Zebrafish (Danio rerio) Embryos. Front Physiol. 2015;6:328 pubmed publisher..In the present study, mRNA expression of acid-secreting related transporters and cyp11b (encoding an enzyme involved in cortisol synthesis) in zebrafish embryos was stimulated by treatment with acidic ..
- Tan T, Yu R, Wu R, Kong R. Overexpression and Knockdown of Hypoxia-Inducible Factor 1 Disrupt the Expression of Steroidogenic Enzyme Genes and Early Embryonic Development in Zebrafish. Gene Regul Syst Bio. 2017;11:1177625017713193 pubmed publisher..Eight of the genes, CYP11a, CYP11b2, 3?-HSD, HMGCR, CYP17a1, 17?-HSD2, CYP19a, and CYP19b, were found to be differentially upregulated at ..
- Lin C, Tsai I, Su C, Tseng D, Hwang P. Reverse effect of mammalian hypocalcemic cortisol in fish: cortisol stimulates Ca2+ uptake via glucocorticoid receptor-mediated vitamin D3 metabolism. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e23689 pubmed publisher..Lastly, cortisol also could mediate vitamin D(3) signaling to stimulate Ca(2+) uptake in zebrafish. ..
- Zhang Q, Li Y, Liu Z, Chen Q. Reproductive toxicity of inorganic mercury exposure in adult zebrafish: Histological damage, oxidative stress, and alterations of sex hormone and gene expression in the hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal axis. Aquat Toxicol. 2016;177:417-24 pubmed publisher..by down-regulated expression of gnrh2, gnrh3, fsh? and lh? in the brain as well as fshr, lhr, ar, cyp17 and cyp11b in the testis...
- Li X, Guo J, Li X, Zhou H, Zhang S, Liu X, et al. Behavioural effect of low-dose BPA on male zebrafish: Tuning of male mating competition and female mating preference during courtship process. Chemosphere. 2017;169:40-52 pubmed publisher..In sum, our results shed light on the potential behavioural and physiological effect of low-dose BPA exposure on courtship behaviours of zebrafish, which could exert profound consequences on natural zebrafish populations. ..
- Yin P, Li Y, Chen Q, Liu Z. Diethylstilbestrol, flutamide and their combination impaired the spermatogenesis of male adult zebrafish through disrupting HPG axis, meiosis and apoptosis. Aquat Toxicol. 2017;185:129-137 pubmed publisher..the suppressed mRNA levels of the key genes (such as gnrh3, fsh? and lh? in brain and dmrt1, sf1, cyp17a1 and cyp11b2 in testis) in HPG axis and decreased 11-ketotestosterone (11-KT) levels in plasma...
- Caulier M, Brion F, Chadili E, Turies C, Piccini B, Porcher J, et al. Localization of steroidogenic enzymes and Foxl2a in the gonads of mature zebrafish (Danio rerio). Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol. 2015;188:96-106 pubmed publisher..the expression pattern of steroidogenic enzymes involved in estrogen and androgen production (Cyp17-I, Cyp11c1, Cyp19a1a and Cyp19a1b) and one of their regulators (Foxl2a) in zebrafish gonads...
- Wilson K, Matrone G, Livingstone D, Al Dujaili E, Mullins J, Tucker C, et al. Physiological roles of glucocorticoids during early embryonic development of the zebrafish (Danio rerio). J Physiol. 2013;591:6209-20 pubmed publisher..The ability to alter GC action in the zebrafish embryo also highlights its potential value for GC research. ..
- Lemaire B, Kubota A, O Meara C, Lamb D, Tanguay R, Goldstone J, et al. Cytochrome P450 20A1 in zebrafish: Cloning, regulation and potential involvement in hyperactivity disorders. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2016;296:73-84 pubmed publisher..The expanded information on CYP20A1 brings us closer to "deorphanization", that is, identifying CYP20A1 functions and its roles in health and disease. ..
- Wang X, Orban L. Anti-Müllerian hormone and 11 beta-hydroxylase show reciprocal expression to that of aromatase in the transforming gonad of zebrafish males. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:1329-38 pubmed..gene expression analysis of anti-Müllerian hormone (amh), ovarian aromatase (cyp19a1a) and 11 beta-hydroxylase (cyp11b, also known as P450(11 beta)) by real-time polymerase chain reaction and in situ hybridization...
- Di Rosa V, López Olmeda J, Burguillo A, Frigato E, Bertolucci C, Piferrer F, et al. Daily Rhythms of the Expression of Key Genes Involved in Steroidogenesis and Gonadal Function in Zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0157716 pubmed publisher..In the brain, cyp19a1b (brain aromatase) and cyp11b (11beta-hydroxylase) presented daily differences, especially in males, where the expression peaked at night...
- Hartung O, Forbes M, Marlow F. Zebrafish vasa is required for germ-cell differentiation and maintenance. Mol Reprod Dev. 2014;81:946-61 pubmed publisher..Our studies provide insight into the function of zebrafish vasa during female meiosis, differentiation, and maintenance of germ-line stem cells. ..
- Webster K, Schach U, Ordaz A, Steinfeld J, Draper B, Siegfried K. Dmrt1 is necessary for male sexual development in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2017;422:33-46 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the strong sex-ratio bias caused by dmrt1 reduction-of-function points to potential mechanisms through which sex chromosomes may evolve. ..
- Blüthgen N, Meili N, Chew G, Odermatt A, Fent K. Accumulation and effects of the UV-filter octocrylene in adult and embryonic zebrafish (Danio rerio). Sci Total Environ. 2014;476-477:207-17 pubmed publisher..Blood levels of 11-ketotestosterone were not altered. The transcriptomics data suggest that OC mainly affects transcription of genes related to developmental processes in the brain and liver as well as metabolic processes in the liver. ..
- Tokarz J, Norton W, Moller G, Hrabe de Angelis M, Adamski J. Zebrafish 20?-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 2 is important for glucocorticoid catabolism in stress response. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e54851 pubmed publisher..Our experiments show that 20?-HSD type 2, together with 11?-HSD type 2, represents a short pathway in zebrafish to rapidly inactivate and excrete cortisol. Therefore, 20?-HSD type 2 is an important enzyme in stress response. ..
- Baudiffier D, Hinfray N, Ravaud C, Creusot N, Chadili E, Porcher J, et al. Effect of in vivo chronic exposure to clotrimazole on zebrafish testis function. Environ Sci Pollut Res Int. 2013;20:2747-60 pubmed publisher..Our study demonstrated that clotrimazole is able to affect testicular physiology and raised further concern about the impact of clotrimazole on reproduction. ..
- Dhanasiri A, Fernandes J, Kiron V. Acclimation of zebrafish to transport stress. Zebrafish. 2013;10:87-98 pubmed publisher..In addition, the relevant genes in hypothalamic-pituitary-interrenal (HPI) axis (crf in brain, mc2r, star, cyp11c1, and hsd11b2 in kidney), including that of mineralocorticoid receptor (mr in kidney), were studied...
- Filby A, Paull G, Bartlett E, Van Look K, Tyler C. Physiological and health consequences of social status in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Physiol Behav. 2010;101:576-87 pubmed publisher..The wide-ranging physiological differences seen between dominant and subordinate zebrafish as a consequence of their social status suggest negative health impacts for subordinates after prolonged durations in those hierarchies. ..
- Liang Y, Huang G, Ying G, Liu S, Jiang Y, Liu S, et al. The effects of progesterone on transcriptional expression profiles of genes associated with hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal and hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axes during the early development of zebrafish (Danio rerio). Chemosphere. 2015;128:199-206 pubmed publisher..In addition, P4 resulted in a significant induction of Cyp19a1a and Cyp11b mRNA expression while it caused a significant inhibition of Hsd11b2 mRNA expression above 6 ng L(-1)...
- Tang Z, Sun D, Qian C, Chen Q, Duan S, Sun S. Lycium barbarum polysaccharide alleviates nonylphenol exposure induced testicular injury in juvenile zebrafish. Int J Biol Macromol. 2017;104:618-623 pubmed publisher..The densities of sperms increased and non-celluar zone decreased after LBP treatment. Meanwhile, Cyp11b gene was up regulated to NP group, and cyp19a gene was down regulated to NP group...
- Liang Y, Huang G, Lin Z, Li J, Yang J, Zhong L, et al. Reproductive effects of synthetic progestin norgestrel in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Chemosphere. 2018;190:17-24 pubmed publisher..hsd20b) and hydroxysteroid 11-beta dehydrogenase 2 (hsd11b2) genes and down-regulation of 11-beta-hydroxylase (cyp11b) gene in the ovaries of females...
- Jeffrey J, Gilmour K. Programming of the hypothalamic-pituitary-interrenal axis by maternal social status in zebrafish (Danio rerio). J Exp Biol. 2016;219:1734-43 pubmed publisher..These results suggest programming of stress axis function in zebrafish offspring by maternal social status, emphasizing the importance of maternal environment and experience on offspring stress axis activity...
- Zhang X, Zhong Y, Tian H, Wang W, Ru S. Impairment of the cortisol stress response mediated by the hypothalamus-pituitary-interrenal (HPI) axis in zebrafish (Danio rerio) exposed to monocrotophos pesticide. Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol. 2015;176-177:10-6 pubmed publisher..Considered together, the reduced ability to elevate cortisol levels in response to an acute stress may be an endocrine dysfunction occurring in zebrafish subchronically exposed to MCP pesticide. ..
- Alsop D, Vijayan M. Development of the corticosteroid stress axis and receptor expression in zebrafish. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2008;294:R711-9 pubmed
- Svensson J, Mustafa A, Fick J, Schmitz M, Brunström B. Developmental exposure to progestins causes male bias and precocious puberty in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Aquat Toxicol. 2016;177:316-23 pubmed publisher..Transcript levels of the gonadal genes amh, CYP11B and CYP19a1a indicated that the masculinizing effect of levonorgestrel occurred very rapidly...
- Blüthgen N, Sumpter J, Odermatt A, Fent K. Effects of low concentrations of the antiprogestin mifepristone (RU486) in adults and embryos of zebrafish (Danio rerio): 2. Gene expression analysis and in vitro activity. Aquat Toxicol. 2013;144-145:96-104 pubmed publisher..type 3 (hsd17b3), 3 ?-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase (hsd3b), P450 aromatase A (cyp19a) and 11?-hydroxylase (cyp11b). P4 resulted in similar transcriptional alterations as MIF...
- Liu C, Yu H, Zhang X. Zebrafish embryos/larvae for rapid determination of effects on hypothalamic-pituitary-thyroid (HPT) and hypothalamic-pituitary-interrenal (HPI) axis: mRNA expression. Chemosphere. 2013;93:2327-32 pubmed publisher..selected in assay validation, including anti-thyroid agent 6-Propyl-2-thiouracil (PTU) and cytochrome P450 11B (Cyp11b) enzyme inhibitor metyrapone (MET)...
- Cruz S, Chao P, Hwang P. Cortisol promotes differentiation of epidermal ionocytes through Foxi3 transcription factors in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol. 2013;164:249-57 pubmed publisher..We conclude that foxi3a/b transactivation by cortisol-GR favors differentiation of ionocyte progenitors, thereby facilitating proliferation of mature ionocytes. ..
- Blüthgen N, Zucchi S, Fent K. Effects of the UV filter benzophenone-3 (oxybenzone) at low concentrations in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2012;263:184-94 pubmed publisher..An overall down-regulation of the hsd3b, hsd17b3, hsd11b2 and cyp11b2 transcripts is observed in the testes, suggesting an antiandrogenic activity...
- Lin Q, Mei J, Li Z, Zhang X, Zhou L, Gui J. Distinct and Cooperative Roles of amh and dmrt1 in Self-Renewal and Differentiation of Male Germ Cells in Zebrafish. Genetics. 2017;207:1007-1022 pubmed publisher..Significantly, this study unravels novel functions of amh gene in fish. ..
- Nesan D, Vijayan M. Maternal Cortisol Mediates Hypothalamus-Pituitary-Interrenal Axis Development in Zebrafish. Sci Rep. 2016;6:22582 pubmed publisher..These findings for the first time underscore a critical role for maternally deposited cortisol in programming HPI axis development and function in zebrafish. ..
- Lin C, Hu H, Hwang P. Cortisol regulates sodium homeostasis by stimulating the transcription of sodium-chloride transporter (NCC) in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2016;422:93-102 pubmed publisher..Taken together, cortisol and GR appear to regulate Na(+) absorption through stimulating ncc expression and the differentiation of ncc-expressing ionocytes, providing new insights into the actions of cortisol on Na(+) uptake. ..
- Zhang Z, Lau S, Zhang L, Ge W. Disruption of Zebrafish Follicle-Stimulating Hormone Receptor (fshr) But Not Luteinizing Hormone Receptor (lhcgr) Gene by TALEN Leads to Failed Follicle Activation in Females Followed by Sexual Reversal to Males. Endocrinology. 2015;156:3747-62 pubmed publisher..Neither Fshr nor Lhcgr deficiency could phenocopy the deficiency of their cognate ligands FSH and LH, which is likely due to the fact that Fshr can be activated by both FSH and LH in the zebrafish. ..
- Gill J, Lowe L, Nguyen J, Liu P, Blake T, Venkatesh B, et al. Enforced expression of Simian virus 40 large T-antigen leads to testicular germ cell tumors in zebrafish. Zebrafish. 2010;7:333-41 pubmed publisher..In addition, enforced expression of the zebrafish stem cell leukemia (scl) gene in the zebrafish testes also generated TGCTs in transgenic fish. These results demonstrate the feasibility of studying TGCTs in a model organism. ..