Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: cyp11a1
Description: cytochrome P450, family 11, subfamily A, polypeptide 1
Alias: P450scc, cb957, wu:fj97d10, cytochrome P450, family 11, subfamily A, polypeptide 1, cytochrome P450, subfamily XIA, polypeptide 1, scc, side-chain cleavage enzyme
- Hsu H, Liang M, Chen C, Chung B. Pregnenolone stabilizes microtubules and promotes zebrafish embryonic cell movement. Nature. 2006;439:480-3 pubmed..which is produced from cholesterol by the steroidogenic enzyme Cyp11a1 (cholesterol side-chain cleavage enzyme, P450scc), functions in promoting cell migration during epiboly...
- Jia Z, Liu D, Sheng C, Casida J, Wang C, Song P, et al. Acute toxicity, bioconcentration, elimination and antioxidant effects of fluralaner in zebrafish, Danio rerio. Environ Pollut. 2018;232:183-190 pubmed publisher..Among them, the activities of CAT and CarE, and most mRNA expression level of CYPs showed fast response to the sub-lethal concentration of fluralaner, which could be used as a biomarker relevant to the toxicity. ..
- Cao F, Zhu L, Li H, Yu S, Wang C, Qiu L. Reproductive toxicity of azoxystrobin to adult zebrafish (Danio rerio). Environ Pollut. 2016;219:1109-1121 pubmed publisher..The results of the present study indicate that azoxystrobin led to reproductive toxicity in zebrafish and male zebrafish were more sensitive to azoxystrobin than female zebrafish. ..
- Santangeli S, Maradonna F, Zanardini M, Notarstefano V, Gioacchini G, Forner Piquer I, et al. Effects of diisononyl phthalate on Danio rerio reproduction. Environ Pollut. 2017;231:1051-1062 pubmed publisher..The findings provide evidence that exposure to DiNP adversely affect oocytes growth and maturation, leading to abnormal gonadal development and reproduction in zebrafish. ..
- Diotel N, Do Rego J, Anglade I, Vaillant C, Pellegrini E, Gueguen M, et al. Activity and expression of steroidogenic enzymes in the brain of adult zebrafish. Eur J Neurosci. 2011;34:45-56 pubmed publisher..Next, we show by in situ hybridization that messengers for key steroidogenic enzymes, such as Cyp11a1 (P450(SCC)), 3?-Hsd, Cyp17 and Cyp19a1b, are widely expressed in the forebrain where they exhibit an overall ..
- Quek S, Chan W. Transcriptional activation of zebrafish cyp11a1 promoter is dependent on the nuclear receptor Ff1b. J Mol Endocrinol. 2009;43:121-30 pubmed publisherThe cytochrome P450scc (cholesterol side-chain cleavage enzyme) encoded by CYP11A1 catalyzes the first step in steroidogenesis by converting cholesterol to pregnenolone, and thus, controls the synthesis rate of steroid hormones...
- Rossier N, Chew G, Zhang K, Riva F, Fent K. Activity of binary mixtures of drospirenone with progesterone and 17Î±-ethinylestradiol in vitro and in vivo. Aquat Toxicol. 2016;174:109-22 pubmed publisher..The receptor-based responses did not correspond well to the transcriptional responses in embryos which are much more complex due to the interplay between hormonal pathways, receptor crosstalk, and hormonal feedback loops. ..
- Hu M, Hsu H, Guo I, Chung B. Function of Cyp11a1 in animal models. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2004;215:95-100 pubmedCYP11A1 encodes the P450scc enzyme that catalyzes the first and rate-limiting step of steroid biosynthesis. It is expressed in the adrenals and gonads under the control of pituitary peptide hormones...
- Jeffrey J, Gilmour K. Programming of the hypothalamic-pituitary-interrenal axis by maternal social status in zebrafish (Danio rerio). J Exp Biol. 2016;219:1734-43 pubmed publisher..HPI) axis activity, because corticotropin-releasing factor (crf) and cytochrome p450 side chain cleavage enzyme (p450scc) mRNA levels also were lower in larvae from dominant females...
- Tan T, Yu R, Wu R, Kong R. Overexpression and Knockdown of Hypoxia-Inducible Factor 1 Disrupt the Expression of Steroidogenic Enzyme Genes and Early Embryonic Development in Zebrafish. Gene Regul Syst Bio. 2017;11:1177625017713193 pubmed publisher..Overall, the findings from this study indicate that HIF-1-mediated mechanisms are likely involved in the regulation of specific steroidogenic genes. ..
- To T, Hahner S, Nica G, Rohr K, Hammerschmidt M, Winkler C, et al. Pituitary-interrenal interaction in zebrafish interrenal organ development. Mol Endocrinol. 2007;21:472-85 pubmed..Until 2 d post fertilization (2 dpf) interrenal development assessed by transcripts of key steroidogenic genes (cyp11a1, mc2r, star) is independent of proopiomelanocortin (Pomc) as demonstrated in aal/eya1and lia/fgf3 mutants...
- Xie J, Wang W, Liu T, Deng M, Ning G. Spatio-temporal expression of chromogranin A during zebrafish embryogenesis. J Endocrinol. 2008;198:451-8 pubmed publisher..with genes expressed in pronephros (Wilms' tumor suppressor 1, wt1), adrenal cortex (side-chain cleavage enzyme, scc), and sympathoadrenal neuron/chromaffin cell (dopamine-beta-hydroxylase, dbh), respectively, showed that the chga-..
- Santangeli S, Maradonna F, Gioacchini G, Cobellis G, Piccinetti C, Dalla Valle L, et al. BPA-Induced Deregulation Of Epigenetic Patterns: Effects On Female Zebrafish Reproduction. Sci Rep. 2016;6:21982 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that the negative effects of BPA on the female reproductive system may be due to its upstream ability to deregulate epigenetic mechanism. ..
- Hsu H, Hsu N, Hu M, Chung B. Steroidogenesis in zebrafish and mouse models. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2006;248:160-3 pubmed..The enzyme carrying out this first conversion step is CYP11A1. To further investigate the importance of steroid biosynthesis, animal models with defects in the Cyp11a1 gene ..
- Kang H, Moon H, Choi K. Toxicological responses following short-term exposure through gavage feeding or water-borne exposure to Dechlorane Plus in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Chemosphere. 2016;146:226-32 pubmed publisher..Our observations indicate for the first time that DP disrupts thyroid hormone balance of zebrafish by altering regulatory pathways in the brain. Handling editor: David Volz. ..
- Liang Y, Huang G, Ying G, Liu S, Jiang Y, Liu S, et al. The effects of progesterone on transcriptional expression profiles of genes associated with hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal and hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axes during the early development of zebrafish (Danio rerio). Chemosphere. 2015;128:199-206 pubmed publisher..For the steroidogenic pathways, the transcriptional expression of Cyp11a1 and Hsd17b3 mRNAs was mediated by 6 ng L(-1) P4 or higher according to different exposure time points...
- Dang Y, Wang J, Giesy J, Liu C. Responses of the zebrafish hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal-liver axis PCR array to prochloraz are dependent on timing of sampling. Aquat Toxicol. 2016;175:154-9 pubmed publisher..Correlations among parameters in samples collected at the two times indicated the effects might be due to different concentrations of E2 in plasma due to exposure to PCZ. ..
- Yang Q, Yang X, Liu J, Ren W, Chen Y, Shen S. Effects of BPF on steroid hormone homeostasis and gene expression in the hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal axis of zebrafish. Environ Sci Pollut Res Int. 2017;24:21311-21322 pubmed publisher..These alterations suggest that BPF leads to adverse effects on the endocrine system of teleost fish, and that these effects were more prominent in males than in females. ..
- Shi J, Jiao Z, Zheng S, Li M, Zhang J, Feng Y, et al. Long-term effects of bisphenol AF (BPAF) on hormonal balance and genes of hypothalamus-pituitary-gonad axis and liver of zebrafish (Danio rerio), and the impact on offspring. Chemosphere. 2015;128:252-7 pubmed publisher..A potential consequence of adverse effects in the offspring by BPAF deserves further investigation. ..
- Liang Y, Huang G, Lin Z, Li J, Yang J, Zhong L, et al. Reproductive effects of synthetic progestin norgestrel in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Chemosphere. 2018;190:17-24 pubmed publisher..of steroidogenic acute regulatory protein (star), cytochrome P450-mediated side-chain cleavage enzyme (cyp11a1), cyp11b, hsd20b, hydroxysteroid 17-beta dehydrogenase type 3 (hsd17b3), hsd11b2 and ar genes were observed ..
- Du Z, Zhang Y, Wang G, Peng J, Wang Z, Gao S. TPhP exposure disturbs carbohydrate metabolism, lipid metabolism, and the DNA damage repair system in zebrafish liver. Sci Rep. 2016;6:21827 pubmed publisher..The present study provides a systematic analysis of the triphenyl phosphate-induced toxic effects in zebrafish liver and demonstrates that low concentrations of triphenyl phosphate affect normal metabolism and cell cycle. ..
- Jo A, Ji K, Choi K. Endocrine disruption effects of long-term exposure to perfluorodecanoic acid (PFDA) and perfluorotridecanoic acid (PFTrDA) in zebrafish (Danio rerio) and related mechanisms. Chemosphere. 2014;108:360-6 pubmed publisher..Consequences of endocrine disruptions in reproduction performances of the fish warrant further investigation. ..
- Hsu H, Hsiao P, Kuo M, Chung B. Expression of zebrafish cyp11a1 as a maternal transcript and in yolk syncytial layer. Gene Expr Patterns. 2002;2:219-22 pubmedCyp11a1 (P450scc, cholesterol side-chain cleavage enzyme) is the first enzyme for the synthesis of all steroid hormones. The regulation of steroid synthesis has been extensively investigated, except during embryogenesis...
- Liu W, Chen C, Chen L, Wang L, Li J, Chen Y, et al. Sex-dependent effects of microcystin-LR on hypothalamic-pituitary-gonad axis and gametogenesis of adult zebrafish. Sci Rep. 2016;6:22819 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, this study first investigated the sex-dependent effects of microcystins on fish reproduction and revealed some important molecular biomarkers related to gametogenesis in zebrafish suffered from MC-LR. ..
- Shang E, Yu R, Wu R. Hypoxia affects sex differentiation and development, leading to a male-dominated population in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Environ Sci Technol. 2006;40:3118-22 pubmed..The male-dominated populations caused by hypoxia will have reduced reproductive success, thereby threatening the sustainability of natural fish populations. ..
- Martinovic D, Villeneuve D, Kahl M, Blake L, Brodin J, Ankley G. Hypoxia alters gene expression in the gonads of zebrafish (Danio rerio). Aquat Toxicol. 2009;95:258-72 pubmed publisher..g., hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase alterations, downregulation of contractile elements, etc.). ..
- Sohn J, Kim S, Koschorreck J, Kho Y, Choi K. Alteration of sex hormone levels and steroidogenic pathway by several low molecular weight phthalates and their metabolites in male zebrafish (Danio rerio) and/or human adrenal cell (H295R) line. J Hazard Mater. 2016;320:45-54 pubmed publisher..Our results show that not only DEP, BBzP, and DiBP, but also their hydrolytic metabolites disrupt sex hormone balances through modulating key steroidogenic genes in the human adrenal cells and in zebrafish. ..
- Qi X, Salem M, Zhou W, Sato Shimizu M, Ye G, Smitz J, et al. Neurokinin B Exerts Direct Effects on the Ovary to Stimulate Estradiol Production. Endocrinology. 2016;157:3355-65 pubmed publisher..Injection of NKB into zebrafish accelerated follicle development, increased the mRNA levels of cyp11a1 and cyp19a1, and enhanced estradiol production...
- Siegenthaler P, Bain P, Riva F, Fent K. Effects of antiandrogenic progestins, chlormadinone and cyproterone acetate, and the estrogen 17?-ethinylestradiol (EE2), and their mixtures: Transactivation with human and rainbowfish hormone receptors and transcriptional effects in zebrafish (Danio. Aquat Toxicol. 2017;182:142-162 pubmed publisher..The lack of agonistic activities of both progestins to rainbowfish PGR and AR is the probable reason for the low activity found in zebrafish eleuthero-embryos. ..
- Ji K, Hong S, Kho Y, Choi K. Effects of bisphenol s exposure on endocrine functions and reproduction of zebrafish. Environ Sci Technol. 2013;47:8793-800 pubmed publisher..Our observations showed that exposure to low level BPS could affect the feedback regulatory circuits of HPG axis and impair the development of offspring. ..
- Weng J, Liang M, Chen C, Tong S, Huang T, Lee S, et al. Pregnenolone activates CLIP-170 to promote microtubule growth and cell migration. Nat Chem Biol. 2013;9:636-42 pubmed publisher..P5 also sustained migration directionality of cultured mammalian cells. Our results show that P5 activates CLIP-170 to promote microtubule polymerization and cell migration. ..
- Liu C, Yu H, Zhang X. Zebrafish embryos/larvae for rapid determination of effects on hypothalamic-pituitary-thyroid (HPT) and hypothalamic-pituitary-interrenal (HPI) axis: mRNA expression. Chemosphere. 2013;93:2327-32 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we studied the effects of PTU or MET on the cross-talk between HPT and HPI axis. The results demonstrated that PTU and MET could affect cross-talk responses in zebrafish embryos/larvae. ..
- Zhang W, Sheng N, Wang M, Zhang H, Dai J. Zebrafish reproductive toxicity induced by chronic perfluorononanoate exposure. Aquat Toxicol. 2016;175:269-76 pubmed publisher..The results of this study indicate that chronic exposure to PFNA can lead to dysfunction in the HPGL axis and sex hormone synthesis and cause adverse effects on fish reproduction. ..
- Zhao F, Wei P, Wang J, Yu M, Zhang X, Tian H, et al. Estrogenic effects associated with bisphenol a exposure in male zebrafish (Danio rerio) is associated with changes of endogenous 17?-estradiol and gene specific DNA methylation levels. Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2017;252:27-35 pubmed publisher..These observations provide evidence for the non-ERs mediated mechanisms underlying the estrogenic action of BPA on male zebrafish. ..
- Ma Y, Cao C, Wang Q, Gui W, Zhu G. Effects of azocyclotin on gene transcription and steroid metabolome of hypothalamic-pituitary-gonad axis, and their consequences on reproduction in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Aquat Toxicol. 2016;179:55-64 pubmed publisher..Overall, our results indicate that exposure to azocyclotin can impair reproduction in fish, and induce toxicity related abnormalities in non-exposed offspring. ..
- Hsu H, Lin J, Chung B. Zebrafish cyp11a1 and hsd3b genes: structure, expression and steroidogenic development during embryogenesis. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2009;312:31-4 pubmed publisher..the use of this zebrafish model, the current report put emphasis on the study of two steroidogenic genes: cyp11a1 and hsd3b...
- Pradhan A, Asnake S, Kharlyngdoh J, Modig C, Olsson P. In silico and biological analysis of anti-androgen activity of the brominated flame retardants ATE, BATE and DPTE in zebrafish. Chem Biol Interact. 2015;233:35-45 pubmed publisher..Genes involved in steroidogenesis were also down-regulated by these BFRs. In view of this, the impact of these BFRs on humans and wildlife needs further analysis. ..
- Liang Y, Huang G, Ying G, Liu S, Jiang Y, Liu S, et al. A time-course transcriptional kinetics of the hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal and hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axes in zebrafish eleutheroembryos after exposure to norgestrel. Environ Toxicol Chem. 2015;34:112-9 pubmed publisher..In addition, norgestrel strongly altered the expression of Cyp11a1 mRNA above 5â€‰ngâ€‰L(-1) (significant upregulation from 48 hpf to 120 hpf and significant ..
- Chu L, Li J, Liu Y, Hu W, Cheng C. Targeted gene disruption in zebrafish reveals noncanonical functions of LH signaling in reproduction. Mol Endocrinol. 2014;28:1785-95 pubmed publisher..LH signaling is demonstrated to control oocyte maturation and ovulation in the ovary. ..
- Yu R, Chu D, Tan T, Li V, Chan A, Giesy J, et al. Leptin-mediated modulation of steroidogenic gene expression in hypoxic zebrafish embryos: implications for the disruption of sex steroids. Environ Sci Technol. 2012;46:9112-9 pubmed publisher..Overall, this study indicates that hypoxia, possibly via HIF-1-induced leptin expression, modulates sex steroid synthesis by acting directly on steroidogenic gene expression. ..
- Tang H, Chen Y, Liu Y, Yin Y, Li G, Guo Y, et al. New Insights Into the Role of Estrogens in Male Fertility Based on Findings in Aromatase-Deficient Zebrafish. Endocrinology. 2017;158:3042-3054 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our findings indicate that estrogens are not needed to achieve and maintain normal fertility in male zebrafish. This finding challenges the traditional view that estrogens are indispensable for male fertility. ..
- Hoffmann J, Oris J. Altered gene expression: a mechanism for reproductive toxicity in zebrafish exposed to benzo[a]pyrene. Aquat Toxicol. 2006;78:332-40 pubmed..including gonadotropins (follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) and luteinizing hormone (LH)), steroidogenic enzymes (CYP11A1, CYP17, CYP19A1, CYP19A2 and 20beta-HSD), estrogen receptor beta (ERbeta) and vitellogenin...
- Parajes S, Griffin A, Taylor A, Rose I, Miguel Escalada I, Hadzhiev Y, et al. Redefining the initiation and maintenance of zebrafish interrenal steroidogenesis by characterizing the key enzyme cyp11a2. Endocrinology. 2013;154:2702-11 pubmed publisher..However, steroidogenesis in zebrafish is not well characterized. Mammalian P450 side-chain cleavage enzyme (CYP11A1) catalyzes the first step of steroidogenesis, the conversion of cholesterol to pregnenolone...
- Hall C, Boyle R, Sun X, Wicker S, Misa J, Krissansen G, et al. Epidermal cells help coordinate leukocyte migration during inflammation through fatty acid-fuelled matrix metalloproteinase production. Nat Commun. 2014;5:3880 pubmed publisher..Targeting of this metabolic-immunologic interface within keratinocytes may prove useful in treating inflammatory dermatoses. ..
- Tong S, Hsu H, Chung B. Zebrafish monosex population reveals female dominance in sex determination and earliest events of gonad differentiation. Dev Biol. 2010;344:849-56 pubmed publisher..Our genetic selection scheme matches the prediction that female-dominant genetic factors are required to determine zebrafish sex...
- Klangnurak W, Tokumoto T. Fine selection of up-regulated genes during ovulation by in vivo induction of oocyte maturation and ovulation in zebrafish. Zoological Lett. 2017;3:2 pubmed publisher..The ovulation-specific up-regulation of three candidates, slc37a4a, zgc:65811 and zgc:92184 was confirmed by qPCR. Our in vivo assay provides a new approach to precisely select genes associated with ovulation. ..
- Yu M, Zhang X, Guo L, Tian H, Wang W, Ru S. Anti-estrogenic effect of semicarbazide in female zebrafish (Danio rerio) and its potential mechanisms. Aquat Toxicol. 2016;170:262-270 pubmed publisher..These effects were observed at environmentally relevant concentrations and highlight the importance of controlling SMC contamination. ..
- Arukwe A, Nordtug T, Kortner T, Mortensen A, Brakstad O. Modulation of steroidogenesis and xenobiotic biotransformation responses in zebrafish (Danio rerio) exposed to water-soluble fraction of crude oil. Environ Res. 2008;107:362-70 pubmed publisher..decrease of ER* and ERbeta, steroidogenic acute regulatory (StAR) protein, cytochrome P450 side-chain cleavage (P450scc), P450aromA and P450aromB mRNA expression...
- Heiden T, Struble C, Rise M, Hessner M, Hutz R, Carvan M. Molecular targets of 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin (TCDD) within the zebrafish ovary: insights into TCDD-induced endocrine disruption and reproductive toxicity. Reprod Toxicol. 2008;25:47-57 pubmed..Data presented here provide further insight into the mechanisms by which TCDD disrupts follicular development and reproduction in fish, and can be used to formulate new hypotheses regarding previously documented ovarian toxicity. ..