Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: cxcl8a
Description: chemokine (C-X-C motif) ligand 8a
Alias: cxcl8, il8, si:dkey-151b16.2, interleukin-8, permeability factor 2, CXCL8_L1_chr1, chemokine (C-X-C motif) ligand 8, cxcl-chr1a, cxcl-chr1b, dr-chr1-CXCL8, interleukin 8
- Deng Q, Sarris M, Bennin D, Green J, Herbomel P, Huttenlocher A. Localized bacterial infection induces systemic activation of neutrophils through Cxcr2 signaling in zebrafish. J Leukoc Biol. 2013;93:761-9 pubmed publisher..We have cloned the zebrafish Cxcr1 and Cxcr2 receptors and show that Cxcr2 functions as a Cxcl8 receptor in live zebrafish...
- Hidasi A, Groh K, Suter M, Schirmer K. Clobetasol propionate causes immunosuppression in zebrafish (Danio rerio) at environmentally relevant concentrations. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf. 2017;138:16-24 pubmed publisher..This may reduce the chances of fish to survive in the environment, as their defense against pathogens is weakened. ..
- Ogryzko N, Hoggett E, Solaymani Kohal S, Tazzyman S, Chico T, Renshaw S, et al. Zebrafish tissue injury causes upregulation of interleukin-1 and caspase-dependent amplification of the inflammatory response. Dis Model Mech. 2014;7:259-64 pubmed publisher..Zebrafish offer a new and versatile model to study the IL-1? pathway in inflammatory disease and should offer unique insights into IL-1 biology in vivo. ..
- ZuÃ±iga TraslaviÃ±a C, Bravo K, Reyes A, FeijÃ³o C. Cxcl8b and Cxcr2 Regulate Neutrophil Migration through Bloodstream in Zebrafish. J Immunol Res. 2017;2017:6530531 pubmed publisher..In this study, we used the zebrafish to assess the role of Cxcl8a, Cxcl8b, and Cxcr2 in neutrophil migration to blood circulation after injury...
- Lima A, Cha B, Amin J, Smith L, Anderson B. Zebrafish embryo model of Bartonella henselae infection. Zebrafish. 2014;11:434-46 pubmed publisher..Thus, the zebrafish embryo provides the first practical model of Bh infection that will facilitate efforts to identify virulence factors and define molecular mechanisms of Bh pathogenesis. ..
- Liu Z, Fu Z, Jin Y. Immunotoxic effects of atrazine and its main metabolites at environmental relevant concentrations on larval zebrafish (Danio rerio). Chemosphere. 2017;166:212-220 pubmed publisher..According to these results, both of ATZ and its metabolites exposure could cause the immunotoxicity in larval zebrafish. Thus, we thought that the ecological risks of the metabolites of ATZ on aquatic organisms could not be ignored. ..
- Jiang L, Yin M, Xu J, Jia M, Sun S, Wang X, et al. The Transcription Factor Bach1 Suppresses the Developmental Angiogenesis of Zebrafish. Oxid Med Cell Longev. 2017;2017:2143875 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these observations indicate that Bach1 suppresses the developmental angiogenesis of zebrafish and that this function is associated with declines in Wnt/β-catenin signaling and VEGF and IL-8 expression. ..
- Zhang Z, Wu H, Xiao J, Wang Q, Liu Q, Zhang Y. Immune responses of zebrafish (Danio rerio) induced by bath-vaccination with a live attenuated Vibrio anguillarum vaccine candidate. Fish Shellfish Immunol. 2012;33:36-41 pubmed publisher..These results gave some important messages about the mechanism of specific protection induced by live attenuated V. anguillarum and showed the availability of zebrafish model in the evaluation of the vaccine candidate...
- Zhu Z, Chen J, Xiong J, Peng J. Haploinsufficiency of Def activates p53-dependent TGF? signalling and causes scar formation after partial hepatectomy. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e96576 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the novel Def- p53 nucleolar pathway functions specifically to prevent a scar formation at the amputation site in a normal amputated liver. ..
- Liu C, Xie L, Cui C, Chu M, Zhao H, Yao L, et al. Beneficial roles of melanoma cell adhesion molecule in spinal cord transection recovery in adult zebrafish. J Neurochem. 2016;139:187-196 pubmed publisher..MCAM promotes angiogenesis by adjusting VEGFR-2, p-p38 and p-AKT. MCAM affects inflammatory factors such as TNF-?, IL-1? and IL-8. Our results extend the beneficial role of MCAM in the regeneration of central nervous system. ..
- Meireles A, Shiau C, Guenther C, Sidik H, Kingsley D, Talbot W. The phosphate exporter xpr1b is required for differentiation of tissue-resident macrophages. Cell Rep. 2014;8:1659-1667 pubmed publisher..Single mutants for xpr1a were viable, and double mutants for xpr1b;xpr1a were similar to xpr1b single mutants. Our genetic analysis reveals a specific role for the phosphate exporter Xpr1 in the differentiation of tissue macrophages. ..
- Jin Y, Pan X, Cao L, Ma B, Fu Z. Embryonic exposure to cis-bifenthrin enantioselectively induces the transcription of genes related to oxidative stress, apoptosis and immunotoxicity in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Fish Shellfish Immunol. 2013;34:717-23 pubmed publisher..The information presented in this study will help with elucidating the differences and environmental risk of the two enantiomers of cis-BF-induced toxicity in aquatic organisms. ..
- Blaser B, Moore J, Hagedorn E, Li B, Riquelme R, Lichtig A, et al. CXCR1 remodels the vascular niche to promote hematopoietic stem and progenitor cell engraftment. J Exp Med. 2017;214:1011-1027 pubmed publisher..Here, we show that the chemokine cxcl8 and its receptor, cxcr1, are expressed by zebrafish endothelial cells, and we identify cxcl8/cxcr1Torraca V, Otto N, Tavakoli Tameh A, Meijer A. The inflammatory chemokine Cxcl18b exerts neutrophil-specific chemotaxis via the promiscuous chemokine receptor Cxcr2 in zebrafish. Dev Comp Immunol. 2017;67:57-65 pubmed publisher..Here, we found that Cxcl18b is chemotactic towards neutrophils, similarly to Cxcl8a/Interleukin-8, the best characterised neutrophil chemoattractant in humans and teleosts...Liu X, Wu H, Chang X, Tang Y, Liu Q, Zhang Y. Notable mucosal immune responses induced in the intestine of zebrafish (Danio rerio) bath-vaccinated with a live attenuated Vibrio anguillarum vaccine. Fish Shellfish Immunol. 2014;40:99-108 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the live attenuated V. anguillarum vaccine induced notable mucosal immune responses in the intestine which could be used as a mucosal vaccine vector in the future. ..Dorsemans A, Soulé S, Weger M, Bourdon E, Lefebvre d Hellencourt C, Meilhac O, et al. Impaired constitutive and regenerative neurogenesis in adult hyperglycemic zebrafish. J Comp Neurol. 2017;525:442-458 pubmed publisher..Acute hyperglycemia was shown to promote gene expression of proinflammatory cytokines (il1?, il6, il8, and tnf?) in the brain and chronic hyperglycemia to impair expression of genes involved in the establishment of ..Tandberg J, Lagos L, Langlete P, Berger E, Rishovd A, Roos N, et al. Comparative Analysis of Membrane Vesicles from Three Piscirickettsia salmonis Isolates Reveals Differences in Vesicle Characteristics. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0165099 pubmed publisher..salmonis derived MVs, highlighting strain-specific vesicle characteristics. The results further illustrate that the MV proteome from one bacterial strain is not representative of all bacterial strains within one species. ..Oehlers S, Flores M, Hall C, Crosier K, Crosier P. Retinoic acid suppresses intestinal mucus production and exacerbates experimental enterocolitis. Dis Model Mech. 2012;5:457-67 pubmed publisher..This study illustrates a direct effect of retinoid administration on intestinal mucus physiology and, subsequently, on the progression of intestinal inflammation...van der Aa L, Chadzinska M, Tijhaar E, Boudinot P, Verburg van Kemenade B. CXCL8 chemokines in teleost fish: two lineages with distinct expression profiles during early phases of inflammation. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e12384 pubmed publisherDuring the inflammatory process, chemokine CXCL8 plays a pivotal role in recruitment of human neutrophilic granulocytes...Torraca V, Cui C, Boland R, Bebelman J, van der Sar A, Smit M, et al. The CXCR3-CXCL11 signaling axis mediates macrophage recruitment and dissemination of mycobacterial infection. Dis Model Mech. 2015;8:253-69 pubmed publisher..The demonstration of a conserved CXCR3-CXCL11 signaling axis in zebrafish extends the translational applicability of this model for studying diseases involving the innate immune system. ..Cortes M, Chen M, Stachura D, Liu S, Kwan W, Wright F, et al. Developmental Vitamin D Availability Impacts Hematopoietic Stem Cell Production. Cell Rep. 2016;17:458-468 pubmed publisher..Finally, gene expression and epistasis analysis indicated that CXCL8(IL-8) was a functional target of vitamin D3-mediated HSPC regulation...Kim B, Hancock B, Del Cid N, Bermudez A, Traver D, Doran K. Streptococcus agalactiae infection in zebrafish larvae. Microb Pathog. 2015;79:57-60 pubmed publisher..Additionally, interleukin-1Î² (il1b) and CXCL-8 (cxcl8a) were significantly induced following GBS infection compared to controls...Ran C, Hu J, Liu W, Liu Z, He S, Dan B, et al. Thymol and Carvacrol Affect Hybrid Tilapia through the Combination of Direct Stimulation and an Intestinal Microbiota-Mediated Effect: Insights from a Germ-Free Zebrafish Model. J Nutr. 2016;146:1132-40 pubmed publisher..62), interleukin 1? (Il1?; ×0.29), and interleukin 8 (Il8; ×0.62) (P < 0.05)...Yan C, Huo X, Wang S, Feng Y, Gong Z. Stimulation of hepatocarcinogenesis by neutrophils upon induction of oncogenic kras expression in transgenic zebrafish. J Hepatol. 2015;63:420-8 pubmed publisher..An inflammatory cue from oncogenic hepatocytes upon induction of kras(V12) expression causes a rapid recruitment of neutrophils to oncogenic liver and the neutrophils play a promoting role in early hepatocarcinogenesis. ..Elks P, van der Vaart M, van Hensbergen V, Schutz E, Redd M, Murayama E, et al. Mycobacteria counteract a TLR-mediated nitrosative defense mechanism in a zebrafish infection model. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e100928 pubmed publisher..Shifting the balance of host-pathogen interactions in favor of the host by targeting this virulence mechanism may help to alleviate the problem of infection with Mtb strains that are resistant to multiple drug treatments. ..de Oliveira S, Lopez MuÃ±oz A, MartÃnez Navarro F, Galindo Villegas J, Mulero V, Calado Ã. Cxcl8-l1 and Cxcl8-l2 are required in the zebrafish defense against Salmonella Typhimurium. Dev Comp Immunol. 2015;49:44-8 pubmed publisherIn recent years zebrafish has emerged as an excellent model for studying the Cxcl8 signaling pathway in inflammation elicited upon tissue damage or infection...Jin Y, Zheng S, Fu Z. Embryonic exposure to cypermethrin induces apoptosis and immunotoxicity in zebrafish (Danio rerio). Fish Shellfish Immunol. 2011;30:1049-54 pubmed publisher..The information presented in this study will help elucidate the mechanism of CYP-induced toxicity in fish. ..Petrie T, Strand N, Yang C, Tsung Yang C, Rabinowitz J, Moon R. Macrophages modulate adult zebrafish tail fin regeneration. Development. 2014;141:2581-91 pubmed publisher..These results provide a cellular and molecular link between components of the inflammation response and regeneration in adult zebrafish. ..Zhao C, Zhang W, Zhao Y, Yang Y, Luo H, Ji G, et al. Endothelial Cords Promote Tumor Initial Growth prior to Vascular Function through a Paracrine Mechanism. Sci Rep. 2016;6:19404 pubmed publisher..Understanding this novel mechanism of angiogenic tumor progression offers new entry points for cancer therapeutics. ..Zhang M, Wu H, Li X, Yang M, Chen T, Wang Q, et al. Edwardsiella tarda flagellar protein FlgD: a protective immunogen against edwardsiellosis. Vaccine. 2012;30:3849-56 pubmed publisher..tarda. ..Brugman S, Witte M, Scholman R, Klein M, Boes M, Nieuwenhuis E. T lymphocyte-dependent and -independent regulation of Cxcl8 expression in zebrafish intestines. J Immunol. 2014;192:484-91 pubmed publisherb>CXCL8 is a potent neutrophil recruiting chemokine. CXCL8 is produced by several innate immune cells, including neutrophils, macrophages, as well as epithelial cells...He S, Ran C, Qin C, Li S, Zhang H, de Vos W, et al. Anti-Infective Effect of Adhesive Probiotic Lactobacillus in Fish is Correlated With Their Spatial Distribution in the Intestinal Tissue. Sci Rep. 2017;7:13195 pubmed publisher..Collectively, the disease protection activity of Lactobacillus in zebrafish is correlated with their spatial distribution in the intestinal tissue, with strains showing a balanced distribution (hybrid type) more efficient in protection. ..Jing L, Tamplin O, Chen M, Deng Q, Patterson S, Kim P, et al. Adenosine signaling promotes hematopoietic stem and progenitor cell emergence. J Exp Med. 2015;212:649-63 pubmed publisher..A2b adenosine receptor activation induced CXCL8 via cAMP-protein kinase A (PKA) and mediated hematopoiesis...Shive H, West R, Embree L, Sexton J, Hickstein D. Expression of KRASG12V in Zebrafish Gills Induces Hyperplasia and CXCL8-Associated Inflammation. Zebrafish. 2015;12:221-9 pubmed publisher..zebrafish showed activation of the ERK-MAP kinase pathway and expressed the zebrafish homologue for human CXCL8, a cytokine produced by mammalian Ras-transformed cells in tumor-associated inflammatory lesions...Wang K, Fang X, Ma N, Lin Q, Huang Z, Liu W, et al. Myeloperoxidase-deficient zebrafish show an augmented inflammatory response to challenge with Candida albicans. Fish Shellfish Immunol. 2015;44:109-16 pubmed publisher..albicans infection. These findings indicate that myeloperoxidase deficiency alters the inflammatory response to fungal infection. ..Jin Y, Liu Z, Peng T, Fu Z. The toxicity of chlorpyrifos on the early life stage of zebrafish: a survey on the endpoints at development, locomotor behavior, oxidative stress and immunotoxicity. Fish Shellfish Immunol. 2015;43:405-14 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results suggested that CPF had the potential to cause developmental toxicity, behavior alterations, oxidative stress and immunotoxicity in the larval zebrafish. ..Galdames J, Zuñiga Traslaviña C, Reyes A, Feijóo C. Gcsf-Chr19 promotes neutrophil migration to damaged tissue through blood vessels in zebrafish. J Immunol. 2014;193:372-8 pubmed publisher..Together, our data provide novel information about the regulation of neutrophil migration in zebrafish, positioning Gcsf-Chr19 as a key signal during the course of an inflammatory process triggered by severe damage. ..Zhuang S, Zhang Z, Zhang W, Bao L, Xu C, Zhang H. Enantioselective developmental toxicity and immunotoxicity of pyraclofos toward zebrafish (Danio rerio). Aquat Toxicol. 2015;159:119-26 pubmed publisher..Our in vitro and in silico studies provided a better insight into the molecular basis for aquatic toxicity and thus improved the risk assessment for pyraclofos and other chiral organophosphorus pesticides. ..Lampe E, Zingmark C, Tandberg J, Thrane I, Brudal E, Sjostedt A, et al. Francisella noatunensis subspecies noatunensis clpB deletion mutant impairs development of francisellosis in a zebrafish model. Vaccine. 2017;35:7264-7272 pubmed publisher..n.n. wt. One day after challenge, immunized zebrafish responded with significantly lower interleukin 8 levels compared to the non-immunized control...Lampe E, Tandberg J, Rishovd A, Winther Larsen H. Francisella noatunensis ssp. noatunensis iglC deletion mutant protects adult zebrafish challenged with acute mortality dose of wild-type strain. Dis Aquat Organ. 2017;123:123-140 pubmed publisher..Mutant-infected cod leucocytes presented higher interleukin 1 beta (il1?) and interleukin 8 (il8) transcription than wild-type (WT)-infected cells...Tu W, Niu L, Liu W, Xu C. Embryonic exposure to butachlor in zebrafish (Danio rerio): endocrine disruption, developmental toxicity and immunotoxicity. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf. 2013;89:189-95 pubmed publisher..Bidirectional interactions between the endocrine system and the immune system might be present, and further studies are needed to determine these possible pathways. ..Aggad D, Stein C, Sieger D, Mazel M, Boudinot P, Herbomel P, et al. In vivo analysis of Ifn-?1 and Ifn-?2 signaling in zebrafish. J Immunol. 2010;185:6774-82 pubmed publisher..These results shed new light on the evolution of the Ifn-? signaling in fish and tetrapods and contribute toward an integrated view of the innate immune regulation in vertebrates...Hsu A, Wang D, Gurol T, Zhou W, Zhu X, Lu H, et al. Overexpression of microRNA-722 fine-tunes neutrophilic inflammation by inhibiting Rac2 in zebrafish. Dis Model Mech. 2017;10:1323-1332 pubmed publisher..Finally, an miR-722 mimic protects zebrafish from lethal lipopolysaccharide challenge. Together, these results provide evidence for and the mechanism of an anti-inflammatory miRNA that restrains detrimental systemic inflammation. ..Pozzobon T, Facchinello N, Bossi F, Capitani N, Benagiano M, Di Benedetto G, et al. Treponema pallidum (syphilis) antigen TpF1 induces angiogenesis through the activation of the IL-8 pathway. Sci Rep. 2016;6:18785 pubmed publisher..This study suggests that the angiogenic response observed during secondary syphilis is triggered by TpF1 and that pharmacological therapies directed to inhibit IL-8 response in patients should be explored to treat this disease. ..Yang D, Liu Q, Ni C, Li S, Wu H, Wang Q, et al. Gene expression profiling in live attenuated Edwardsiella tarda vaccine immunized and challenged zebrafish: insights into the basic mechanisms of protection seen in immunized fish. Dev Comp Immunol. 2013;40:132-41 pubmed publisher..This mechanism involved the induction of the TLR-5 signaling pathway, the MHC-I antigen processing pathway and CTL effector function, and CTL function seems play a major role in the protection against E. tarda infection in zebrafish. ..Galindo Villegas J, García Moreno D, de Oliveira S, Meseguer J, Mulero V. Regulation of immunity and disease resistance by commensal microbes and chromatin modifications during zebrafish development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:E2605-14 pubmedZhang Z, Wu H, Xiao J, Wang Q, Liu Q, Zhang Y. Immune responses evoked by infection with Vibrio anguillarum in zebrafish bath-vaccinated with a live attenuated strain. Vet Immunol Immunopathol. 2013;154:138-44 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that inoculation with the live attenuated vaccine triggered protection by curbing inflammation and strengthening the adaptive immune response. ..Gui J, Greene C, Sullivan C, Taylor W, Moore J, KIM C. Testing multiple hypotheses through IMP weighted FDR based on a genetic functional network with application to a new zebrafish transcriptome study. BioData Min. 2015;8:17 pubmed publisher..We compared the mRNA expression for each group and found over 200 differentially expressed genes and several enriched pathways including defense response pathways, arsenic response pathways, and the Notch signaling pathway. ..Botthof J, Bielczyk MaczyÅ„ska E, Ferreira L, Cvejic A. Loss of the homologous recombination gene rad51 leads to Fanconi anemia-like symptoms in zebrafish. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2017;114:E4452-E4461 pubmed publisher..Further research on this zebrafish FA model will lead to a deeper understanding of the molecular basis of bone marrow failure in FA and the cellular role of RAD51. ..Bhuiyan M, Ellett F, Murray G, Kostoulias X, Cerqueira G, Schulze K, et al. Acinetobacter baumannii phenylacetic acid metabolism influences infection outcome through a direct effect on neutrophil chemotaxis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016;113:9599-604 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the work provides a potentially new therapeutic paradigm of targeting a bacterial metabolic pathway to augment host innate immune responses and attenuate disease. ..Mesureur J, Feliciano J, Wagner N, Gomes M, Zhang L, Blanco Gonzalez M, et al. Macrophages, but not neutrophils, are critical for proliferation of Burkholderia cenocepacia and ensuing host-damaging inflammation. PLoS Pathog. 2017;13:e1006437 pubmed publisher..We suggest that paradigm-changing approaches are needed for development of novel antimicrobials to efficiently disarm intracellular bacteria of this group of highly persistent, opportunistic pathogens. ..Facchinello N, Skobo T, Meneghetti G, Colletti E, Dinarello A, Tiso N, et al. nr3c1 null mutant zebrafish are viable and reveal DNA-binding-independent activities of the glucocorticoid receptor. Sci Rep. 2017;7:4371 pubmed publisher..Hence, the zebrafish gr mutant line appears as a useful tool to investigate Gr functions in an integrated in vivo model. ..Nguyen Chi M, Laplace Builhé B, Travnickova J, Luz Crawford P, Tejedor G, Lutfalla G, et al. TNF signaling and macrophages govern fin regeneration in zebrafish larvae. Cell Death Dis. 2017;8:e2979 pubmed publisher..Our study reveals that TNFR1 has a necessary and direct role in blastema cell activation suggesting that macrophage subset balance provides the accurate TNF? signal to prime regeneration in zebrafish. ..Chen C, Liu W, Wang L, Li J, Chen Y, Jin J, et al. Pathological damage and immunomodulatory effects of zebrafish exposed to microcystin-LR. Toxicon. 2016;118:13-20 pubmed publisher..Our findings provided strong evidence of the recovery potential of fish exposed to microcystins. ..Freisinger C, Huttenlocher A. Live imaging and gene expression analysis in zebrafish identifies a link between neutrophils and epithelial to mesenchymal transition. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e112183 pubmed publisher..An early signal induced by HRas(V12) in epithelial cells is the expression of il-8 (cxcl8) and we found that the chemokine receptor, Cxcr2, mediates neutrophil but not macrophage recruitment to the ..van der Aa L, Chadzinska M, Derks W, Scheer M, Levraud J, Boudinot P, et al. Diversification of IFN?-inducible CXCb chemokines in cyprinid fish. Dev Comp Immunol. 2012;38:243-53 pubmed publisherWe earlier identified two CXCL8-like lineages in cyprinid fish, which are functional homologues of the mammalian CXCL8, but with diverged functions...Hedrera M, Galdames J, Jimenez Reyes M, Reyes A, Avendaño Herrera R, Romero J, et al. Soybean meal induces intestinal inflammation in zebrafish larvae. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e69983 pubmed publisher..These findings support the use of zebrafish screening assays to identify novel ingredients that would to improved current fish diets or would formulate new ones. ..