Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: ctslb
Description: cathepsin Lb
Alias: catL, cb15, ctsl, ctsl1b, hgg1, wu:fb30g09, cathepsin Lb, cathepsin L, 1 b, cathepsin L, b, cstlb, hatching gland 1, hatching gland gene 1
- Krens S, He S, Lamers G, Meijer A, Bakkers J, Schmidt T, et al. Distinct functions for ERK1 and ERK2 in cell migration processes during zebrafish gastrulation. Dev Biol. 2008;319:370-83 pubmed publisher..Together, our data define distinct roles for ERK1 and ERK2 in developmental cell migration processes during zebrafish embryogenesis. ..
- Zhu S, Liu L, Korzh V, Gong Z, Low B. RhoA acts downstream of Wnt5 and Wnt11 to regulate convergence and extension movements by involving effectors Rho kinase and Diaphanous: use of zebrafish as an in vivo model for GTPase signaling. Cell Signal. 2006;18:359-72 pubmed..These findings also support the versatility of the zebrafish as a model to further investigate the roles of various classes of small GTPases in regulating cell dynamics in vivo. ..
- Ulrich F, Concha M, Heid P, Voss E, Witzel S, Roehl H, et al. Slb/Wnt11 controls hypoblast cell migration and morphogenesis at the onset of zebrafish gastrulation. Development. 2003;130:5375-84 pubmed
- Montero J, Kilian B, Chan J, Bayliss P, Heisenberg C. Phosphoinositide 3-kinase is required for process outgrowth and cell polarization of gastrulating mesendodermal cells. Curr Biol. 2003;13:1279-89 pubmed..Furthermore, our findings provide insight into the relationship between cell polarization and directed cell migration at the onset of zebrafish gastrulation. ..
- Peyrieras N, Strahle U, Rosa F. Conversion of zebrafish blastomeres to an endodermal fate by TGF-beta-related signaling. Curr Biol. 1998;8:783-6 pubmed
- Bakkers J, Kramer C, Pothof J, Quaedvlieg N, Spaink H, Hammerschmidt M. Has2 is required upstream of Rac1 to govern dorsal migration of lateral cells during zebrafish gastrulation. Development. 2004;131:525-37 pubmed..In addition, they suggest that the same HA pathways are active to auto-stimulate cell migration during tumor invasion and vertebrate embryogenesis. ..
- von der Hardt S, Bakkers J, Inbal A, Carvalho L, Solnica Krezel L, Heisenberg C, et al. The Bmp gradient of the zebrafish gastrula guides migrating lateral cells by regulating cell-cell adhesion. Curr Biol. 2007;17:475-87 pubmed
- Jessen J, Topczewski J, Bingham S, Sepich D, Marlow F, Chandrasekhar A, et al. Zebrafish trilobite identifies new roles for Strabismus in gastrulation and neuronal movements. Nat Cell Biol. 2002;4:610-5 pubmed..We propose Trilobite/Stbm mediates cellular interactions that confer directionality on distinct movements during vertebrate embryogenesis. ..
- Huang H, Lu F, Jia S, Meng S, Cao Y, Wang Y, et al. Amotl2 is essential for cell movements in zebrafish embryo and regulates c-Src translocation. Development. 2007;134:979-88 pubmed..These data provide the first evidence that amotl2 is essential for cell movements in vertebrate embryos. ..
- Crosier P, Bardsley A, Horsfield J, Krassowska A, Lavallie E, Collins Racie L, et al. In situ hybridization screen in zebrafish for the selection of genes encoding secreted proteins. Dev Dyn. 2001;222:637-44 pubmed
- Daggett D, Boyd C, Gautier P, Bryson Richardson R, Thisse C, Thisse B, et al. Developmentally restricted actin-regulatory molecules control morphogenetic cell movements in the zebrafish gastrula. Curr Biol. 2004;14:1632-8 pubmed..Our results provide direct evidence for the deployment of developmentally restricted actin-regulatory molecules in the control of morphogenetic cell movements during vertebrate development. ..
- Weiser D, Pyati U, Kimelman D. Gravin regulates mesodermal cell behavior changes required for axis elongation during zebrafish gastrulation. Genes Dev. 2007;21:1559-71 pubmed
- Bennett J, Stickney H, Choi W, Ciruna B, Talbot W, Schier A. Maternal nodal and zebrafish embryogenesis. Nature. 2007;450:E1-2; discussion E2-4 pubmed..Here we test their proposal and show that the maternal activities of sqt and the related Nodal gene cyclops (cyc) are not required for dorsoventral patterning. ..
- Lunde K, Belting H, Driever W. Zebrafish pou5f1/pou2, homolog of mammalian Oct4, functions in the endoderm specification cascade. Curr Biol. 2004;14:48-55 pubmed..We propose that pou5f1 plays an activating role in zebrafish endodermal development, where it maintains sox32 expression during gastrulation and acts with sox32 to induce sox17 expression in endodermal precursor cells. ..
- Latimer A, Jessen J. Extracellular matrix assembly and organization during zebrafish gastrulation. Matrix Biol. 2010;29:89-96 pubmed publisher..These results provide a framework for uncovering the interrelationship between ECM structure and cellular processes regulating convergence and extension such as directed migration and mediolateral/radial intercalation. ..
- Clements W, Kimelman D. LZIC regulates neuronal survival during zebrafish development. Dev Biol. 2005;283:322-34 pubmed publisher..Surprisingly, despite this high similarity, LZIC does not interact with beta-catenin in vitro or in vivo. Our results reveal that LZIC, a protein conserved in vertebrates, is required for neuronal survival in zebrafish...
- Aamar E, Dawid I. Protocadherin-18a has a role in cell adhesion, behavior and migration in zebrafish development. Dev Biol. 2008;318:335-46 pubmed publisher..These results suggest a role for Pcdh18a in cell adhesion, migration and behavior but not cell specification during gastrula and segmentation stages of development. ..
- Besser J, Leito J, van der Meer D, Bagowski C. Tip-1 induces filopodia growth and is important for gastrulation movements during zebrafish development. Dev Growth Differ. 2007;49:205-14 pubmed..Our observations indicate a role for TIP-1 in gastrulation movements and in filopodia growth induction. ..
- Van Raay T, Coffey R, Solnica Krezel L. Zebrafish Naked1 and Naked2 antagonize both canonical and non-canonical Wnt signaling. Dev Biol. 2007;309:151-68 pubmed..Finally, reducing Nkd1 function in slb mutants suppressed the axial mesendoderm C&E defect. These data indicate that zebrafish Nkd1 and Nkd2 function to limit both canonical and non-canonical Wnt signaling. ..
- Dutta S, Dietrich J, Westerfield M, Varga Z. Notch signaling regulates endocrine cell specification in the zebrafish anterior pituitary. Dev Biol. 2008;319:248-57 pubmed publisher..We propose that Notch mediated lateral inhibition regulates the relative numbers of specified hormone cell types in the three pituitary subdomains. ..
- Kai M, Heisenberg C, Tada M. Sphingosine-1-phosphate receptors regulate individual cell behaviours underlying the directed migration of prechordal plate progenitor cells during zebrafish gastrulation. Development. 2008;135:3043-51 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the net migration of prechordal plate progenitors is determined by different parameters, including motility, persistence and coherence. ..
- Tingaud Sequeira A, Cerdà J. Phylogenetic relationships and gene expression pattern of three different cathepsin L (Ctsl) isoforms in zebrafish: Ctsla is the putative yolk processing enzyme. Gene. 2007;386:98-106 pubmed..In zebrafish (Danio rerio), three different ctsl genes, ctsla, ctslb and ctslc, have been found in the genome, but their pattern of expression, as well as information on which the ..
- Fisher S, Amacher S, Halpern M. Loss of cerebum function ventralizes the zebrafish embryo. Development. 1997;124:1301-11 pubmed..Analysis of the cerebum phenotype provides genetic evidence for the existence of ventralizing signals in the zebrafish gastrula and for antagonists of those signals. ..
- Lai S, Chan T, Lin M, Huang W, Lou S, Lee S. Diaphanous-related formin 2 and profilin I are required for gastrulation cell movements. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e3439 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that zDia2 in conjunction with zPfn 1 are required for gastrulation cell movements in zebrafish. ..
- Yao S, Xie L, Qian M, Yang H, Zhou L, Zhou Q, et al. Pnas4 is a novel regulator for convergence and extension during vertebrate gastrulation. FEBS Lett. 2008;582:2325-32 pubmed publisher..In addition, genetic interaction assays indicate that Pnas4 might act in parallel with non-canonical Wnt signal in the regulation of cell movement. Our data suggest that Pnas4 is a key regulator of cell movement during gastrulation. ..
- Heisenberg C, Nusslein Volhard C. The function of silberblick in the positioning of the eye anlage in the zebrafish embryo. Dev Biol. 1997;184:85-94 pubmed..These findings may therefore provide a starting point in elucidating the role of neural plate morphogenesis in positioning of the eyes. ..
- Carreira Barbosa F, Concha M, Takeuchi M, Ueno N, Wilson S, Tada M. Prickle 1 regulates cell movements during gastrulation and neuronal migration in zebrafish. Development. 2003;130:4037-46 pubmed..In addition, Pk1 interacts with Tri to mediate posterior migration of branchiomotor neurons, probably independent of the noncanonical Wnt pathway. ..
- Gore A, Maegawa S, Cheong A, Gilligan P, Weinberg E, Sampath K. The zebrafish dorsal axis is apparent at the four-cell stage. Nature. 2005;438:1030-5 pubmed..Because the 3' untranslated region of the human nodal gene can also localize exogenous sequences to dorsal cells, this mechanism may be evolutionarily conserved. ..
- Carreira Barbosa F, Kajita M, Kajita M, Morel V, Wada H, Okamoto H, et al. Flamingo regulates epiboly and convergence/extension movements through cell cohesive and signalling functions during zebrafish gastrulation. Development. 2009;136:383-92 pubmed publisher..Fmi/Celsr therefore has a dual role in mediating two separate morphogenetic movements through its roles in mediating cell cohesion and Wnt/PCP signalling during zebrafish gastrulation. ..
- McFarland K, Warga R, Kane D. Genetic locus half baked is necessary for morphogenesis of the ectoderm. Dev Dyn. 2005;233:390-406 pubmed
- Tallafuss A, Adolf B, Bally Cuif L. Selective control of neuronal cluster size at the forebrain/midbrain boundary by signaling from the prechordal plate. Dev Dyn. 2003;227:524-35 pubmed..Together, our results suggest that a combination of patterning-related and -unrelated mechanisms specifically controls the size of individual early neuronal clusters within the anterior neural plate. ..
- Vogel A, Gerster T. Expression of a zebrafish Cathepsin L gene in anterior mesendoderm and hatching gland. Dev Genes Evol. 1997;206:477-479 pubmed..screen for developmentally regulated genes in zebrafish, we have isolated a cDNA for zebrafish cathepsin L, termed catL. The gene shows abundant expression in the anteriormost cells of the head process which give rise to the polster ..
- Anastasaki C, Estep A, Marais R, Rauen K, Patton E. Kinase-activating and kinase-impaired cardio-facio-cutaneous syndrome alleles have activity during zebrafish development and are sensitive to small molecule inhibitors. Hum Mol Genet. 2009;18:2543-54 pubmed publisher..Importantly, we find a developmental window in which treatment with a MEK inhibitor can restore the normal early development of the embryo, without the additional, unwanted developmental effects of the drug. ..
- Mathieu J, Griffin K, Herbomel P, Dickmeis T, Strahle U, Kimelman D, et al. Nodal and Fgf pathways interact through a positive regulatory loop and synergize to maintain mesodermal cell populations. Development. 2004;131:629-41 pubmed..Together, these results demonstrate synergy between oep and fgf8 that operates with regional differences and is involved in the induction, maintenance, movement and survival of mesodermal cell populations. ..
- Aquilina Beck A, Ilagan K, Liu Q, Liang J. Nodal signaling is required for closure of the anterior neural tube in zebrafish. BMC Dev Biol. 2007;7:126 pubmed
- Jia S, Ren Z, Li X, Zheng Y, Meng A. smad2 and smad3 are required for mesendoderm induction by transforming growth factor-beta/nodal signals in zebrafish. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:2418-26 pubmed..Thus, our data reveal that Nodal signaling and mesendoderm induction depend on Smad2/3 and suggest that transforming growth factor-beta signals other than Nodal also contribute to Smad2/3 signaling and embryonic patterning. ..
- Hong S, Dawid I. FGF-dependent left-right asymmetry patterning in zebrafish is mediated by Ier2 and Fibp1. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:2230-5 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Ier2 and Fibp1 mediate FGF signaling in ciliogenesis in Kupffer's Vesicle and in the establishment of laterality in the zebrafish embryo. ..
- Oishi I, Kawakami Y, Raya A, Callol Massot C, Izpisua Belmonte J. Regulation of primary cilia formation and left-right patterning in zebrafish by a noncanonical Wnt signaling mediator, duboraya. Nat Genet. 2006;38:1316-22 pubmed
- Shimizu T, Yabe T, Muraoka O, Yonemura S, Aramaki S, Hatta K, et al. E-cadherin is required for gastrulation cell movements in zebrafish. Mech Dev. 2005;122:747-63 pubmed..These data suggest that E-cadherin-mediated cell adhesion between the DC and EVL plays a role in the epiboly movement in zebrafish. ..
- Abdelilah S, Driever W. Pattern formation in janus-mutant zebrafish embryos. Dev Biol. 1997;184:70-84 pubmed..As assessed by the presence of the most ventral cell type, blood, ventral specification within a dorsal half-blastoderm is not suppressed. ..
- Kapsimali M, Caneparo L, Houart C, Wilson S. Inhibition of Wnt/Axin/beta-catenin pathway activity promotes ventral CNS midline tissue to adopt hypothalamic rather than floorplate identity. Development. 2004;131:5923-33 pubmed
- Gardiner M, Daggett D, Zon L, Perkins A. Zebrafish KLF4 is essential for anterior mesendoderm/pre-polster differentiation and hatching. Dev Dyn. 2005;234:992-6 pubmed..In addition, there was early knockdown of expression of the pre-polster/anterior mesendoderm markers CatL, cap1, and BMP4...
- Link V, Carvalho L, Castanon I, Stockinger P, Shevchenko A, Heisenberg C. Identification of regulators of germ layer morphogenesis using proteomics in zebrafish. J Cell Sci. 2006;119:2073-83 pubmed..We demonstrate the feasibility of proteomics in zebrafish, concluding that proteomics is a valuable tool for analysis of early development. ..
- Dal Pra S, Fürthauer M, Van Celst J, Thisse B, Thisse C. Noggin1 and Follistatin-like2 function redundantly to Chordin to antagonize BMP activity. Dev Biol. 2006;298:514-26 pubmed
- Wilkinson C, Carl M, Harris W. Cep70 and Cep131 contribute to ciliogenesis in zebrafish embryos. BMC Cell Biol. 2009;10:17 pubmed publisher..In a number of human diseases, such Bardet-Biedl syndrome, centrosome/cilium proteins are mutated, leading to polycystic kidney disease, situs inversus, and neurological problems, amongst other symptoms...
- Miyasaka K, Kida Y, Sato T, Minami M, Ogura T. Csrp1 regulates dynamic cell movements of the mesendoderm and cardiac mesoderm through interactions with Dishevelled and Diversin. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:11274-9 pubmed..Our data highlight Csrp1 as a key molecule of the noncanonical Wnt pathway, which orchestrates cell behaviors during dynamic morphogenetic movements of tissues and organs. ..
- van Eekelen M, Runtuwene V, Overvoorde J, den Hertog J. RPTPalpha and PTPepsilon signaling via Fyn/Yes and RhoA is essential for zebrafish convergence and extension cell movements during gastrulation. Dev Biol. 2010;340:626-39 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that RPTPalpha and PTPepsilon are essential for C&E movements in a signaling pathway parallel to non-canonical Wnts and upstream of Fyn, Yes and RhoA. ..
- Peyrieras N, Lu Y, Renucci A, Lemarchandel V, Rosa F. Inhibitory interactions controlling organizer activity in fish. C R Acad Sci III. 1996;319:1107-12 pubmed..This paradox is taken as an evidence for suppressive effects exerted in a reciprocal manner when more than 1 organizing center is present. ..
- Witzel S, Zimyanin V, Carreira Barbosa F, Tada M, Heisenberg C. Wnt11 controls cell contact persistence by local accumulation of Frizzled 7 at the plasma membrane. J Cell Biol. 2006;175:791-802 pubmed..We propose that Wnt11, by interacting with Frizzled 7 and Flamingo, modulates local cell contact persistence to coordinate cell movements during gastrulation...
- Haffner C, Frauli M, Topp S, Irmler M, Hofmann K, Regula J, et al. Nicalin and its binding partner Nomo are novel Nodal signaling antagonists. EMBO J. 2004;23:3041-50 pubmed..Our data demonstrate that the Nicalin/Nomo complex antagonizes Nodal signaling during mesendodermal patterning in zebrafish. ..
- Gardiner M, Gongora M, Grimmond S, Perkins A. A global role for zebrafish klf4 in embryonic erythropoiesis. Mech Dev. 2007;124:762-74 pubmed..In addition, we show klf4 preferentially binds CACCC box elements in the primitive zebrafish beta-like globin gene promoters. These results have global implications for primitive erythroid gene regulation by KLF-CACCC box interactions. ..
- Bardet P, Horard B, Laudet V, Vanacker J. The ERRalpha orphan nuclear receptor controls morphogenetic movements during zebrafish gastrulation. Dev Biol. 2005;281:102-11 pubmed..Altogether, these results propose ERRalpha as a new regulator of morphogenetic movement during gastrulation, independently of cell fate determination. ..
- Babb S, Marrs J. E-cadherin regulates cell movements and tissue formation in early zebrafish embryos. Dev Dyn. 2004;230:263-77 pubmed..E-cadherin mRNA coinjection demonstrated the specificity of cdh1 MO-induced defects. Our experiments illustrate the importance of cdh1 in regulating morphogenetic cell movements and tissue formation in the early embryo. ..
- Li Z, Korzh V, Gong Z. Localized rbp4 expression in the yolk syncytial layer plays a role in yolk cell extension and early liver development. BMC Dev Biol. 2007;7:117 pubmed..YSL-expressed Rbp4 plays a role in formation of both yolk extension and liver bud, the latter may also require migration of liver progenitor cells. ..
- Herzog W, Sonntag C, von der Hardt S, Roehl H, Varga Z, Hammerschmidt M. Fgf3 signaling from the ventral diencephalon is required for early specification and subsequent survival of the zebrafish adenohypophysis. Development. 2004;131:3681-92 pubmed..This early specification seems to be essential for the subsequent survival of pituitary cells, but not for pituitary morphogenesis or pituitary cell proliferation...
- Newman M, Tucker B, Nornes S, Ward A, Lardelli M. Altering presenilin gene activity in zebrafish embryos causes changes in expression of genes with potential involvement in Alzheimer's disease pathogenesis. J Alzheimers Dis. 2009;16:133-47 pubmed publisher..Five of these have known function and showed increased expression: cyclin G1 (ccng1), prosaposin (psap), cathepsin Lb (ctslb), heat shock protein 70kDa (hsp70) and hatching enzyme 1 (he1)...
- Knowlton M, Kelly G. Zebrafish Mir antagonizes Frizzled 7-induced gastrulation defects. Zebrafish. 2004;1:133-44 pubmed publisher..Together these results indicate that Fz7a and Fz7 signal through different pathways during zebrafish gastrulation, and that Mir and Annexin V antagonize Fz7 signaling. ..
- Blanco M, Barrallo Gimeno A, Acloque H, Reyes A, Tada M, Allende M, et al. Snail1a and Snail1b cooperate in the anterior migration of the axial mesendoderm in the zebrafish embryo. Development. 2007;134:4073-81 pubmed
- Meani N, Pezzimenti F, Deflorian G, Mione M, Alcalay M. The tumor suppressor PRDM5 regulates Wnt signaling at early stages of zebrafish development. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e4273 pubmed publisher..Our data demonstrate that PRDM5 regulates the expression of components of both canonical and non canonical wnt pathways and negatively modulates wnt signaling in vivo. ..
- Gongal P, Waskiewicz A. Zebrafish model of holoprosencephaly demonstrates a key role for TGIF in regulating retinoic acid metabolism. Hum Mol Genet. 2008;17:525-38 pubmed..The consequences of abnormal RA levels for forebrain patterning are profound, and imply that in human patients with TGIF deficiencies, increased forebrain RA levels contribute to the development of HPE. ..
- Webster D, Teo C, Sun Y, Wloga D, Gay S, Klonowski K, et al. O-GlcNAc modifications regulate cell survival and epiboly during zebrafish development. BMC Dev Biol. 2009;9:28 pubmed publisher..O-GlcNAc modifies the transcription factor Spiel ohne grenzen/Pou5f1 and may regulate its activity. ..
- Schenck A, Goto Silva L, Collinet C, Rhinn M, Giner A, Habermann B, et al. The endosomal protein Appl1 mediates Akt substrate specificity and cell survival in vertebrate development. Cell. 2008;133:486-97 pubmed publisher..We propose that partitioning of Akt and selected effectors onto endosomal compartments represents a key mechanism contributing to the specificity of signal transduction in vertebrate development. ..
- Latimer A, Jessen J. Hgf/c-met expression and functional analysis during zebrafish embryogenesis. Dev Dyn. 2008;237:3904-15 pubmed publisher..Similar to mouse, knockdown of zebrafish Met reduces liver size. Our results suggest a role for Met during endoderm specification and indicate that mechanisms of liver development are conserved between mammals and bony fish. ..
- diIorio P, Runko A, Farrell C, Roy N. Sid4: A secreted vertebrate immunoglobulin protein with roles in zebrafish embryogenesis. Dev Biol. 2005;282:55-69 pubmed..Overall, our data demonstrate a fundamental role for sid4, possibly as a co-factor in extracellular matrix (ECM) interactions, in processes underlying tissue patterning and organogenesis in a vertebrate. ..
- Poon K, Richardson M, Korzh V. Expression of zebrafish nos2b surrounds oral cavity. Dev Dyn. 2008;237:1662-7 pubmed publisher..Thus, the analysis of expression pattern of nos2b reveals complex morphogenetic movements resulting in its expression surrounding the oral cavity. ..