Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: csf1ra
Description: colony stimulating factor 1 receptor, a
Alias: CSF-1R, M-CSF-R, csf1r, fms, panther, macrophage colony-stimulating factor 1 receptor, CSF-1 receptor, CSF-1-R, c-fms, fms proto-oncogene homolog, pfe, pfeffer, proto-oncogene c-Fms homolog, proto-oncogene fms homolog, sal, salz
- Lang M, Patterson L, Gordon T, Johnson S, Parichy D. Basonuclin-2 requirements for zebrafish adult pigment pattern development and female fertility. PLoS Genet. 2009;5:e1000744 pubmed publisher..These findings identify bnc2 as an important mediator of adult pigment pattern formation and identify bonaparte mutants as an animal model for dissecting bnc2 functions...
- Herbomel P, Thisse B, Thisse C. Zebrafish early macrophages colonize cephalic mesenchyme and developing brain, retina, and epidermis through a M-CSF receptor-dependent invasive process. Dev Biol. 2001;238:274-88 pubmed..In the panther mutant, which lacks a functional fms (M-CSF receptor) gene, early macrophages differentiate and behave apparently ..
- Meijer A, van der Sar A, Cunha C, Lamers G, Laplante M, Kikuta H, et al. Identification and real-time imaging of a myc-expressing neutrophil population involved in inflammation and mycobacterial granuloma formation in zebrafish. Dev Comp Immunol. 2008;32:36-49 pubmed..by multiplex fluorescent in situ hybridization, showing that lcp1 can be considered as a general leukocyte marker, csf1r as a macrophage-specific marker, and mpx and lyz as neutrophil-specific markers...
- Ignatius M, Moose H, El Hodiri H, Henion P. colgate/hdac1 Repression of foxd3 expression is required to permit mitfa-dependent melanogenesis. Dev Biol. 2008;313:568-83 pubmed
- Budi E, Patterson L, Parichy D. Post-embryonic nerve-associated precursors to adult pigment cells: genetic requirements and dynamics of morphogenesis and differentiation. PLoS Genet. 2011;7:e1002044 pubmed publisher..These findings provide a foundation for future studies of post-embryonic pigment cell precursors in development, evolution, and neoplasia...
- Gray C, Loynes C, Whyte M, Crossman D, Renshaw S, Chico T. Simultaneous intravital imaging of macrophage and neutrophil behaviour during inflammation using a novel transgenic zebrafish. Thromb Haemost. 2011;105:811-9 pubmed publisher..VP16)i186 , in which expression of the hybrid transcription factor Gal4-VP16 is driven by the fms (CSF1R) promoter...
- Quigley I, Manuel J, Roberts R, Nuckels R, Herrington E, MacDonald E, et al. Evolutionary diversification of pigment pattern in Danio fishes: differential fms dependence and stripe loss in D. albolineatus. Development. 2005;132:89-104 pubmed..in part, owing to interactions between melanophores and cells of the xanthophore lineage that depend on the fms receptor tyrosine kinase; zebrafish fms mutants lack xanthophores and have disrupted melanophore stripes...
- Mathias J, Dodd M, Walters K, Yoo S, Ranheim E, Huttenlocher A. Characterization of zebrafish larval inflammatory macrophages. Dev Comp Immunol. 2009;33:1212-7 pubmed publisher..and carry out phagocytosis of tissue debris, and FACS analysis of leukocyte markers indicates expression of CSF1R in these macrophages...
- Mahalwar P, Walderich B, Singh A, NÃ¼sslein Volhard C. Local reorganization of xanthophores fine-tunes and colors the striped pattern of zebrafish. Science. 2014;345:1362-4 pubmed publisher..Thus, xanthophores, attracted by iridophores and repelling melanophores, sharpen and color the pattern. Variations on these cell behaviors may contribute to the generation of color pattern diversity in fish. ..
- Odenthal J, Rossnagel K, Haffter P, Kelsh R, Vogelsang E, Brand M, et al. Mutations affecting xanthophore pigmentation in the zebrafish, Danio rerio. Development. 1996;123:391-8 pubmed..1) Pigment cell formation and migration (pfeffer and salz); (2) pigment synthesis (edison, yobo, yocca and brie) and (3) pigment translocation (esrom, tilsit and ..
- Yoo S, Huttenlocher A. Spatiotemporal photolabeling of neutrophil trafficking during inflammation in live zebrafish. J Leukoc Biol. 2011;89:661-7 pubmed publisher..This work provides new insight into neutrophil behaviors during inflammation and resolution within a multicellular organism. ..
- Lister J, Cooper C, Nguyen K, Modrell M, Grant K, Raible D. Zebrafish Foxd3 is required for development of a subset of neural crest derivatives. Dev Biol. 2006;290:92-104 pubmed
- Parichy D, Turner J. Temporal and cellular requirements for Fms signaling during zebrafish adult pigment pattern development. Development. 2003;130:817-33 pubmed..In fms mutant zebrafish, however, xanthophores fail to develop and melanophore stripes are severely disrupted...
- Charles J, Sury M, Tsang K, Urso K, Henke K, Huang Y, et al. Utility of quantitative micro-computed tomographic analysis in zebrafish to define gene function during skeletogenesis. Bone. 2017;101:162-171 pubmed publisher..This increased capability for detection extends the use of this imaging modality to leverage the zebrafish model to understand the development causes of skeletal dysplasias. ..
- Nord H, Dennhag N, Muck J, Von Hofsten J. Pax7 is required for establishment of the xanthophore lineage in zebrafish embryos. Mol Biol Cell. 2016;27:1853-62 pubmed publisher..In summary, we propose a novel role for Pax7 in the early specification of chromatophore precursor cells. ..
- Lacosta A, Canudas J, Gonzalez C, Muniesa P, Sarasa M, Dominguez L. Pax7 identifies neural crest, chromatophore lineages and pigment stem cells during zebrafish development. Int J Dev Biol. 2007;51:327-31 pubmed..Finally, during the larva to adult transition, we show that pigment stem cells recapitulate the expression of Pax7. ..
- Chen Q, Lu X, Chen J. Identification and functional characterization of the CSF1R gene from grass carp Ctenopharyngodon idellus and its use as a marker of monocytes/macrophages. Fish Shellfish Immunol. 2015;45:386-98 pubmed publisherColony-stimulating factor 1 receptor (CSF1R) is an important regulator of monocytes/macrophages (MO/MÎ¦)...
- Lugo Villarino G, Balla K, Stachura D, Banuelos K, Werneck M, Traver D. Identification of dendritic antigen-presenting cells in the zebrafish. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:15850-5 pubmed publisher..associated with DC function and antigen presentation, including il12, MHC class II invariant chain iclp1, and csf1r. Importantly, we show that PNA(hi) cells can activate T lymphocytes in an antigen-dependent manner...
- Walsh C, Hitchcock P. Progranulin regulates neurogenesis in the developing vertebrate retina. Dev Neurobiol. 2017;77:1114-1129 pubmed publisher..2017 The Authors. Developmental Neurobiology Published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc. Develop Neurobiol 77: 1114-1129, 2017. ..
- Bolli N, Payne E, Grabher C, Lee J, Johnston A, Falini B, et al. Expression of the cytoplasmic NPM1 mutant (NPMc+) causes the expansion of hematopoietic cells in zebrafish. Blood. 2010;115:3329-40 pubmed publisher..A more marked perturbation of myelopoiesis occurs in p53(m/m) embryos expressing NPMc+, where mpx(+) and csf1r(+) cell numbers are also expanded...
- Eom D, Bain E, Patterson L, Grout M, Parichy D. Long-distance communication by specialized cellular projections during pigment pattern development and evolution. elife. 2015;4: pubmed publisher..Our study reveals a novel mechanism of cellular communication, roles for differentiation state heterogeneity in pigment cell interactions, and an unanticipated morphogenetic behavior contributing to a striking difference in adult form. ..
- Wittamer V, Bertrand J, Gutschow P, Traver D. Characterization of the mononuclear phagocyte system in zebrafish. Blood. 2011;117:7126-35 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that mhc2dab:GFP and cd45:DsRed transgenic lines will be instrumental in elucidating the immune response in the zebrafish. ..
- Yang C, Cambier C, Davis J, Hall C, Crosier P, Ramakrishnan L. Neutrophils exert protection in the early tuberculous granuloma by oxidative killing of mycobacteria phagocytosed from infected macrophages. Cell Host Microbe. 2012;12:301-12 pubmed publisher..Our results provide a mechanistic link to the observed patterns of neutrophils in human tuberculous granulomas and the susceptibility of humans with chronic granulomatous disease to mycobacterial infection. ..
- Hall C, Flores M, Oehlers S, Sanderson L, Lam E, Crosier K, et al. Infection-responsive expansion of the hematopoietic stem and progenitor cell compartment in zebrafish is dependent upon inducible nitric oxide. Cell Stem Cell. 2012;10:198-209 pubmed publisher..These results provide new insights into the reactive capacity of HSPCs and how the blood system is "fine-tuned" in response to inflammatory stress. ..
- Knight R, Javidan Y, Nelson S, Zhang T, Schilling T. Skeletal and pigment cell defects in the lockjaw mutant reveal multiple roles for zebrafish tfap2a in neural crest development. Dev Dyn. 2004;229:87-98 pubmed..Developmental Dynamics 229:87-98, 2004. ..
- He B, Shi X, Man C, Ma A, Ekker S, Chow H, et al. Functions of flt3 in zebrafish hematopoiesis and its relevance to human acute myeloid leukemia. Blood. 2014;123:2518-29 pubmed publisher..Morpholino knockdown significantly reduced the expression of l-plastin (pan-leukocyte), csf1r, and mpeg1 (macrophage) as well as that of c-myb (definitive HSPCs), lck, and rag1 (T-lymphocyte)...
- Walters K, Green J, Surfus J, Yoo S, Huttenlocher A. Live imaging of neutrophil motility in a zebrafish model of WHIM syndrome. Blood. 2010;116:2803-11 pubmed publisher..The findings suggest that this transgenic zebrafish model of WHIM syndrome may provide a valuable tool to screen for agents that modify CXCR4-SDF1 retention signals. ..
- Hall C, Flores M, Storm T, Crosier K, Crosier P. The zebrafish lysozyme C promoter drives myeloid-specific expression in transgenic fish. BMC Dev Biol. 2007;7:42 pubmed..These reporter lines will have utility in dissecting the genetic determinants of commitment to the myeloid lineage and in further defining how lysozyme-expressing cells participate during inflammation. ..
- Moss L, Monette M, Jaso Friedmann L, Leary J, Dougan S, Krunkosky T, et al. Identification of phagocytic cells, NK-like cytotoxic cell activity and the production of cellular exudates in the coelomic cavity of adult zebrafish. Dev Comp Immunol. 2009;33:1077-87 pubmed publisher..E. coli injected into the CC were phagocytosed in a dose and time dependent fashion by granulocytes, monocytes and macrophages. NCC lysed mammalian target cells and NCAMP-1 expressing hybridoma cells in redirected lysis assays. ..
- Zakrzewska A, Cui C, Stockhammer O, Benard E, Spaink H, Meijer A. Macrophage-specific gene functions in Spi1-directed innate immunity. Blood. 2010;116:e1-11 pubmed publisher..Therefore, based on our combined transcriptome analyses, we discovered novel early macrophage-specific marker genes, including a signal transducer pivotal for macrophage migration in the innate immune response. ..
- Wu L, Wary K, REVSKOY S, Gao X, Tsang K, Komarova Y, et al. Histone Demethylases KDM4A and KDM4C Regulate Differentiation of Embryonic Stem Cells to Endothelial Cells. Stem Cell Reports. 2015;5:10-21 pubmed publisher..These findings together demonstrate the essential role of KDM4A and KDM4C in orchestrating mESC differentiation to endothelial cells through the activation of Flk1 and VE-cadherin promoters, respectively. ..
- Irion U, FrohnhÃ¶fer H, Krauss J, Ã‡olak Champollion T, Maischein H, Geiger Rudolph S, et al. Gap junctions composed of connexins 41.8 and 39.4 are essential for colour pattern formation in zebrafish. elife. 2014;3:e05125 pubmed publisher..The phenotypes indicate that these promote homotypic interactions between melanophores and xanthophores, respectively, and those cells instruct the patterning of the iridophores. ..
- Okuda K, Misa J, Oehlers S, Hall C, Ellett F, Alasmari S, et al. A zebrafish model of inflammatory lymphangiogenesis. Biol Open. 2015;4:1270-80 pubmed publisher..Importantly, this study highlights the potential of zebrafish as an inflammatory lymphangiogenesis model that can be used to investigate the role and mechanism of lymphangiogenesis in inflammatory diseases such as IBD. ..
- Siegel N, Hoegg S, Salzburger W, Braasch I, Meyer A. Comparative genomics of ParaHox clusters of teleost fishes: gene cluster breakup and the retention of gene sets following whole genome duplications. BMC Genomics. 2007;8:312 pubmed
- Clay H, Davis J, Beery D, Huttenlocher A, Lyons S, Ramakrishnan L. Dichotomous role of the macrophage in early Mycobacterium marinum infection of the zebrafish. Cell Host Microbe. 2007;2:29-39 pubmed..We propose that residence within macrophages represents an evolutionary trade-off for pathogenic mycobacteria that slows their early growth but provides a mechanism for tissue dissemination...
- Clay H, Ramakrishnan L. Multiplex fluorescent in situ hybridization in zebrafish embryos using tyramide signal amplification. Zebrafish. 2005;2:105-11 pubmed publisher..To this effect, we demonstrate that this approach can be combined with standard horseradish peroxidase (HRP)-mediated immunocytochemistry procedures in addition to FISH. ..
- Wang Y, He Z, Fang Y, Xu Y, Chen Y, Wang G, et al. Effect of titanium dioxide nanoparticles on zebrafish embryos and developing retina. Int J Ophthalmol. 2014;7:917-23 pubmed publisher..The expression of fms mRNA and the 4C4 antibody, which were specific to microglia in the central nervous system (CNS), closely resembled ..
- Lu J, Hsieh M, Hou H, Chen C, Tien H, Lin L. Overexpression of SOX4 correlates with poor prognosis of acute myeloid leukemia and is leukemogenic in zebrafish. Blood Cancer J. 2017;7:e593 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that SOX4 is not only an independent prognostic factor of AML, but also an important molecular factor in leukemogenesis. ..
- Minchin J, Hughes S. Sequential actions of Pax3 and Pax7 drive xanthophore development in zebrafish neural crest. Dev Biol. 2008;317:508-22 pubmed publisher..Therefore, Pax3 in zebrafish is required for specification of two specific lineages of neural crest, xanthophores and enteric neurons. ..
- Williams H, Brenner S, Venkatesh B. Identification and analysis of additional copies of the platelet-derived growth factor receptor and colony stimulating factor 1 receptor genes in fugu. Gene. 2002;295:255-64 pubmed..of protein tyrosine kinase receptors that also includes kit and the colony stimulating factor-1 receptor (CSF1R)...
- O Sullivan L, Noor S, Trengove M, Lewis R, Liongue C, Sprigg N, et al. Suppressor of cytokine signaling 1 regulates embryonic myelopoiesis independently of its effects on T cell development. J Immunol. 2011;186:4751-61 pubmed publisher..These studies demonstrate a conserved role for SOCS1 in T cell development and suggest a novel T cell-independent function in embryonic myelopoiesis mediated, at least in part, via its effects on receptors using the Jak2-Stat5 pathway. ..
- Montero Balaguer M, Lang M, Sachdev S, Knappmeyer C, Stewart R, De La Guardia A, et al. The mother superior mutation ablates foxd3 activity in neural crest progenitor cells and depletes neural crest derivatives in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:3199-212 pubmed..Further analysis of mosm188 mutants and foxd3 morphants revealed that NC cells are initially formed, suggesting that foxd3 function is required to maintain the pool of NC progenitors. ..
- Dee C, Nagaraju R, Athanasiadis E, Gray C, Fernandez Del Ama L, Johnston S, et al. CD4-Transgenic Zebrafish Reveal Tissue-Resident Th2- and Regulatory T Cell-like Populations and Diverse Mononuclear Phagocytes. J Immunol. 2016;197:3520-3530 pubmed
- Svoboda O, Stachura D, Machonova O, Zon L, Traver D, Bartunek P. Ex vivo tools for the clonal analysis of zebrafish hematopoiesis. Nat Protoc. 2016;11:1007-20 pubmed publisher..The present protocol should facilitate such studies on cells derived from zebrafish. ..
- Haffter P, Odenthal J, Mullins M, Lin S, Farrell M, Vogelsang E, et al. Mutations affecting pigmentation and shape of the adult zebrafish. Dev Genes Evol. 1996;206:260-76 pubmed publisher..adult pigment pattern was found to be changed by dominant mutations in wanda, asterix, obelix, leopard, salz and pfeffer. Among the recessive mutations producing visible phenotypes in the homozygous adult, a group of mutations that ..
- Jin H, Li L, Xu J, Zhen F, Zhu L, Liu P, et al. Runx1 regulates embryonic myeloid fate choice in zebrafish through a negative feedback loop inhibiting Pu.1 expression. Blood. 2012;119:5239-49 pubmed publisher..1 level required for balanced fate commitment to neutrophils versus macrophages. Our findings define a Pu.1-Runx1 regulatory loop that governs the equilibrium between distinct myeloid fates by assuring an appropriate Pu.1 dosage. ..
- de Preux Charles A, Bise T, Baier F, Marro J, Jazwinska A. Distinct effects of inflammation on preconditioning and regeneration of the adult zebrafish heart. Open Biol. 2016;6: pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results show that, while the immune response is not necessary to induce cell-cycle activity in intact preconditioned hearts, inflammation is required for the regeneration of injured hearts in zebrafish. ..
- Honda T, Nishizawa T, Uenobe M, Kohchi C, Kuroda A, Ototake M, et al. Molecular cloning and expression analysis of a macrophage-colony stimulating factor receptor-like gene from rainbow trout, Oncorhynchus mykiss. Mol Immunol. 2005;42:1-8 pubmedThe M-CSF and its receptor (M-CSFR, CSF-1R or c-fms proto-oncogene) system were initially implicated as essential in mammals for normal monocyte development as well as for pregnancy...
- Keightley M, Layton J, Hayman J, Heath J, Lieschke G. Mediator subunit 12 is required for neutrophil development in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e23845 pubmed publisher..Syr shows defects in hematopoiesis, which predominantly affect the myeloid lineage. Syr has identified a hematopoietic cell-specific requirement for Med12, suggesting a new role for this transcriptional regulator. ..
- Huang T, Cui J, Li L, Hitchcock P, Li Y. The role of microglia in the neurogenesis of zebrafish retina. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2012;421:214-20 pubmed publisher..system requires signaling by macrophage colony stimulating factor-1 receptor (csf-1r), which is encoded by the gene fms. In this study, we show that the targeted knockdown of csf-1r with morpholino oligonucleotides delays migration of ..
- Dong Z, Ren C, Xia Y, Su D, Du T, Fan H, et al. Pten regulates homeostasis and inflammation-induced migration of myelocytes in zebrafish. J Hematol Oncol. 2014;7:17 pubmed publisher..Our data provide in vivo evidence that definitive myelopoiesis in zebrafish is critically regulated by pten via the elevation of cebpa expression. ..
- Wiens K, Lee H, Shimada H, Metcalf A, Chao M, Lien C. Platelet-derived growth factor receptor beta is critical for zebrafish intersegmental vessel formation. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e11324 pubmed publisher..Our data provide the first evidence that PDGFRbeta signaling is required for zebrafish angiogenesis. We propose a novel mechanism for zebrafish PDGFRbeta signaling that regulates vascular angiogenesis in the absence of mural cells. ..
- Halloran M, Berndt J. Current progress in neural crest cell motility and migration and future prospects for the zebrafish model system. Dev Dyn. 2003;228:497-513 pubmed..The zebrafish is particularly well suited for the study of neural crest motility because of the ability to combine genetic manipulation with live imaging of migrating NCCs. ..
- Lam P, Yoo S, Green J, Huttenlocher A. The SH2-domain-containing inositol 5-phosphatase (SHIP) limits the motility of neutrophils and their recruitment to wounds in zebrafish. J Cell Sci. 2012;125:4973-8 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our findings suggest that SHIP phosphatases control neutrophil inflammation by limiting neutrophil motility in vivo. ..
- Wan F, Hu C, Ma J, Gao K, Xiang L, Shao J. Characterization of ?? T Cells from Zebrafish Provides Insights into Their Important Role in Adaptive Humoral Immunity. Front Immunol. 2016;7:675 pubmed publisher..It is anticipated that this study would be used as a guide to develop a zebrafish model for the cross-species investigation of ?? T cell biology. ..
- Le X, Pugach E, Hettmer S, Storer N, Liu J, Wills A, et al. A novel chemical screening strategy in zebrafish identifies common pathways in embryogenesis and rhabdomyosarcoma development. Development. 2013;140:2354-64 pubmed publisher..Our work demonstrates that the activated pathways in RAS induction during embryogenesis are also important in oncogenesis and that inhibition of these pathways suppresses tumor growth. ..
- Chatani M, Takano Y, Kudo A. Osteoclasts in bone modeling, as revealed by in vivo imaging, are essential for organogenesis in fish. Dev Biol. 2011;360:96-109 pubmed publisher..The zebrafish panther mutant lacks a functional c-fms (receptor for macrophage colony-stimulating factor) gene crucial for osteoclast ..
- Wang S, He Q, Ma D, Xue Y, Liu F. Irf4 Regulates the Choice between T Lymphoid-Primed Progenitor and Myeloid Lineage Fates during Embryogenesis. Dev Cell. 2015;34:621-31 pubmed publisher..1 expression to prevent an alternate fate. Our findings provide insight into the fate determination mechanism of T lymphoid-primed progenitors. ..
- Botthof J, Bielczyk MaczyÅ„ska E, Ferreira L, Cvejic A. Loss of the homologous recombination gene rad51 leads to Fanconi anemia-like symptoms in zebrafish. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2017;114:E4452-E4461 pubmed publisher..Further research on this zebrafish FA model will lead to a deeper understanding of the molecular basis of bone marrow failure in FA and the cellular role of RAD51. ..