Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: crestin
Alias: crestin, ctn
- Ignatius M, Moose H, El Hodiri H, Henion P. colgate/hdac1 Repression of foxd3 expression is required to permit mitfa-dependent melanogenesis. Dev Biol. 2008;313:568-83 pubmed
- Langenberg T, Kahana A, Wszalek J, Halloran M. The eye organizes neural crest cell migration. Dev Dyn. 2008;237:1645-52 pubmed publisher..We show that, in chokh mutants, dorsal anterior NCC migration is severely disorganized. Time-lapse analysis shows that NCCs have significantly reduced migration rates and directionality in chokh mutants. ..
- Banerjee S, Gordon L, Donn T, Berti C, Moens C, Burden S, et al. A novel role for MuSK and non-canonical Wnt signaling during segmental neural crest cell migration. Development. 2011;138:3287-96 pubmed publisher..We propose that a Wnt11r-MuSK dependent, PCP-like pathway restricts neural crest cells to their segmental path. ..
- Flores M, Tsang V, Hu W, Kalev Zylinska M, Postlethwait J, Crosier P, et al. Duplicate zebrafish runx2 orthologues are expressed in developing skeletal elements. Gene Expr Patterns. 2004;4:573-81 pubmed..While both genes are expressed in developing skeletal elements, they show evidence of partial divergence in expression pattern, possibly explaining why both orthologues have been retained through teleost evolution. ..
- Pyati U, Webb A, Kimelman D. Transgenic zebrafish reveal stage-specific roles for Bmp signaling in ventral and posterior mesoderm development. Development. 2005;132:2333-43 pubmed..We conclude that the role of Bmp signaling in the ventral and posterior mesoderm changes as gastrulation proceeds. ..
- Prendergast A, Linbo T, Swarts T, Ungos J, McGraw H, Krispin S, et al. The metalloproteinase inhibitor Reck is essential for zebrafish DRG development. Development. 2012;139:1141-52 pubmed publisher..In the absence of reck function, sensory neuron precursors fail to migrate to the position of the DRG, suggesting that this molecule is crucial for proper migration and differentiation. ..
- Tobin J, Di Franco M, Eichers E, May Simera H, Garcia M, Yan J, et al. Inhibition of neural crest migration underlies craniofacial dysmorphology and Hirschsprung's disease in Bardet-Biedl syndrome. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:6714-9 pubmed publisher..Moreover, this is a previously undescribed method of using characterization of facial dysmorphology as a basis for investigating the pathomechanism of CF development in dysmorphic syndromes...
- Knight R, Nair S, Nelson S, Afshar A, Javidan Y, Geisler R, et al. lockjaw encodes a zebrafish tfap2a required for early neural crest development. Development. 2003;130:5755-68 pubmed..These studies demonstrate that low is required for early steps in neural crest development and suggest that tfap2a is essential for the survival of a subset of neural crest derivatives. ..
- Paulus J, Willer G, Willer J, Gregg R, Halloran M. Muscle contractions guide rohon-beard peripheral sensory axons. J Neurosci. 2009;29:13190-201 pubmed publisher..This work suggests that the mechanical forces generated by muscle contractions are necessary for proper sensory axon pathfinding in vivo. ..
- Tu C, Yang T, Huang H, Tsai H. Zebrafish arl6ip1 is required for neural crest development during embryogenesis. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e32899 pubmed publisher..Although the embryonic expression pattern of ADP ribosylation factor-like 6 interacting protein 1 (Arl6ip1) has been reported, its function in neural crest development is unclear...
- Sato M, Tsai H, Yost H. Semaphorin3D regulates invasion of cardiac neural crest cells into the primary heart field. Dev Biol. 2006;298:12-21 pubmed..We propose that a population of sema3D-dependent neural crest cells follow a novel migratory pathway, perhaps toward nrp1A-expressing LPM, and serve as an important early source of cardiomyocytes in the primary heart field. ..
- Rubinstein A, Lee D, Luo R, Henion P, Halpern M. Genes dependent on zebrafish cyclops function identified by AFLP differential gene expression screen. Genesis. 2000;26:86-97 pubmed..The first gene, crestin, is expressed predominantly in premigratory and migrating neural crest cells during somitogenesis stages...
- Barrallo Gimeno A, Holzschuh J, Driever W, Knapik E. Neural crest survival and differentiation in zebrafish depends on mont blanc/tfap2a gene function. Development. 2004;131:1463-77 pubmed
- Stewart R, Arduini B, Berghmans S, George R, Kanki J, Henion P, et al. Zebrafish foxd3 is selectively required for neural crest specification, migration and survival. Dev Biol. 2006;292:174-88 pubmed
- Honjo Y, Eisen J. Slow muscle regulates the pattern of trunk neural crest migration in zebrafish. Development. 2005;132:4461-70 pubmed
- O Brien E, d Alençon C, Bonde G, Li W, Schoenebeck J, Allende M, et al. Transcription factor Ap-2alpha is necessary for development of embryonic melanophores, autonomic neurons and pharyngeal skeleton in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2004;265:246-61 pubmed..These results reveal that Ap-2alpha regulates multiple steps of melanophore development, and is required for development of other neuronal and non-neuronal neural crest derivatives...
- Matthews H, Marchant L, Carmona Fontaine C, Kuriyama S, Larraín J, Holt M, et al. Directional migration of neural crest cells in vivo is regulated by Syndecan-4/Rac1 and non-canonical Wnt signaling/RhoA. Development. 2008;135:1771-80 pubmed publisher..In addition, we show that RhoA inhibits Rac in NC cells. We present a model in which Syn4 and PCP control directional NC migration by, at least in part, regulating membrane protrusions through the regulation of small GTPase activities. ..
- Budi E, Patterson L, Parichy D. Embryonic requirements for ErbB signaling in neural crest development and adult pigment pattern formation. Development. 2008;135:2603-14 pubmed publisher..These data identify a very early, embryonic, requirement for erbb3b in the development of much later metamorphic melanophores, and suggest complex modes by which ErbB signals promote adult pigment pattern development...
- Van Otterloo E, Li W, Garnett A, Cattell M, Medeiros D, Cornell R. Novel Tfap2-mediated control of soxE expression facilitated the evolutionary emergence of the neural crest. Development. 2012;139:720-30 pubmed publisher..Together, these results show that mutations resulting in novel Tfap2-mediated regulation of sox10 and other targets contributed to the evolution of the neural crest. ..
- Onuma T, Ding Y, Abraham E, Zohar Y, Ando H, Duan C. Regulation of temporal and spatial organization of newborn GnRH neurons by IGF signaling in zebrafish. J Neurosci. 2011;31:11814-24 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the IGF-IGF1R-PI3K pathway regulates the precise temporal and spatial organization of GnRH neurons in zebrafish and provides new insights into the regulation of GnRH neuron development. ..
- Sun X, Zhang R, Lin X, Xu X. Wnt3a regulates the development of cardiac neural crest cells by modulating expression of cysteine-rich intestinal protein 2 in rhombomere 6. Circ Res. 2008;102:831-9 pubmed publisher..We propose that this function of wnt3a in r6 is partially mediated by crip2 expression in the premigratory cardiac NCCs, which subsequently affects cardiac function and PA patterning. ..
- Flentke G, Klingler R, Tanguay R, Carvan M, Smith S. An evolutionarily conserved mechanism of calcium-dependent neurotoxicity in a zebrafish model of fetal alcohol spectrum disorders. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2014;38:1255-65 pubmed publisher..5% (v/v) for dechorionated embryos have limited clinical relevance. The strong parallels with established models endorse the zebrafish's relevance for mechanistic studies of EtOH's developmental neurotoxicity. ..
- Honjo Y, Kniss J, Eisen J. Neuregulin-mediated ErbB3 signaling is required for formation of zebrafish dorsal root ganglion neurons. Development. 2008;135:2615-25 pubmed publisher..Together, our results suggest that ErbB3 signaling is required for normal migration of trunk, but not cranial, neural crest cells. ..
- OcaÃ±a O, Coskun H, MinguillÃ³n C, Murawala P, Tanaka E, GalcerÃ¡n J, et al. A right-handed signalling pathway drives heart looping in vertebrates. Nature. 2017;549:86-90 pubmed publisher..Thus, a differential L/R EMT produces asymmetric cell movements and forces, more prominent from the right, that drive heart laterality in vertebrates. ..
- Nguyen C, Langenbacher A, Hsieh M, Chen J. The PAF1 complex component Leo1 is essential for cardiac and neural crest development in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2010;341:167-75 pubmed publisher..In addition, the expression levels of markers for neural crest-derived cells such as crestin, gch2, dct and mitfa are greatly reduced in leo1(LA1186) mutants, indicating a requirement for Leo1 in ..
- Malmquist S, Abramsson A, McGraw H, Linbo T, Raible D. Modulation of dorsal root ganglion development by ErbB signaling and the scaffold protein Sorbs3. Development. 2013;140:3986-96 pubmed publisher..Inhibitors of MEK show similar effects on DRG neurogenesis. We propose a model in which Sorbs3 helps to integrate ErbB signals to promote DRG neurogenesis through the activation of MAPK and upregulation of neurogenin1. ..
- Ishitani T, Matsumoto K, Chitnis A, Itoh M. Nrarp functions to modulate neural-crest-cell differentiation by regulating LEF1 protein stability. Nat Cell Biol. 2005;7:1106-12 pubmed..Furthermore, activation of LEF1 does not affect Notch activity or vice versa. These findings reveal that Nrarp independently regulates canonical Wnt and Notch signalling by modulating LEF1 and Notch protein turnover, respectively. ..
- Leigh N, Schupp M, Li K, Padmanabhan V, Gastonguay A, Wang L, et al. Mmp17b is essential for proper neural crest cell migration in vivo. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e76484 pubmed publisher..Taken together, this study has identified the first pair of MMP, and their putative MMP inhibitor RECK that functions together in NC cell migration. ..
- Wang W, Zhang L, Gui Y, Hu J, Song H. Tbx1 regulates the development of zebrafish neural crest cells by retinoic acid signaling. Chin Med J (Engl). 2013;126:4583-4 pubmed
- Sarmah B, Wente S. Inositol hexakisphosphate kinase-2 acts as an effector of the vertebrate Hedgehog pathway. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:19921-6 pubmed publisher..We propose that IP6K2 activity is required at the level or downstream of Smoothened but upstream of the transcription activator Gli1. ..
- Ghassibe Sabbagh M, Desmyter L, Langenberg T, Claes F, Boute O, Bayet B, et al. FAF1, a gene that is disrupted in cleft palate and has conserved function in zebrafish. Am J Hum Genet. 2011;88:150-61 pubmed publisher..Administration of faf1 mRNA rescues this phenotype. Our findings therefore identify FAF1 as a regulator of CNC differentiation and show that it predisposes humans to cleft palate and is necessary for lower jaw development in zebrafish. ..
- Hogan B, Hunter M, Oates A, Crowhurst M, Hall N, Heath J, et al. Zebrafish gcm2 is required for gill filament budding from pharyngeal ectoderm. Dev Biol. 2004;276:508-22 pubmed..This study identifies yet another role for a GCM gene in embryonic development and indicates a role for gcm2 during the evolution of divergent pharyngeal morphologies. ..
- Sumanas S, Zhang B, Dai R, Lin S. 15-zinc finger protein Bloody Fingers is required for zebrafish morphogenetic movements during neurulation. Dev Biol. 2005;283:85-96 pubmed..We conclude that blf plays an important role in regulating morphogenetic movements during gastrulation and neurulation while its role in hematopoiesis may be redundant. ..
- Pu J, Tang S, Tong Q, Wang G, Jia H, Jia Q, et al. Neuregulin 1 is involved in enteric nervous system development in zebrafish. J Pediatr Surg. 2017;52:1182-1187 pubmed publisher..In addition, by modulating NRG1 expression, we created a model that may be useful for investigating the mechanism underlying HD pathogenesis. ..
- Lu P, Lund C, Khuansuwan S, Schumann A, Harney Tolo M, Gamse J, et al. Failure in closure of the anterior neural tube causes left isomerization of the zebrafish epithalamus. Dev Biol. 2013;374:333-44 pubmed publisher..This mechanism fails when the two sides of the epithalamus are widely separated from one another, suggesting that it is dependent upon a signaling protein with limited range. ..
- Boer E, Jette C, Stewart R. Neural Crest Migration and Survival Are Susceptible to Morpholino-Induced Artifacts. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0167278 pubmed publisher..We suggest that comparison of genetic mutants between different species is the most rigorous method for identifying conserved genetic mechanisms controlling NC development and is critical to identify new treatments for NC diseases. ..
- Willems B, Tao S, Yu T, Huysseune A, Witten P, Winkler C. The Wnt Co-Receptor Lrp5 Is Required for Cranial Neural Crest Cell Migration in Zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0131768 pubmed publisher..To date, Lrp5 has mainly been associated with bone homeostasis in mammals. Here we show that in zebrafish, lrp5 also controls cell migration during early morphogenetic processes and contributes to shaping the craniofacial skeleton. ..
- Xia Z, Tong X, Liang F, Zhang Y, Kuok C, Zhang Y, et al. Eif3ba regulates cranial neural crest development by modulating p53 in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2013;381:83-96 pubmed publisher..The expression of several neural crest marker genes, including crestin, dlx2a and nrp2b, was specifically reduced in the cranial regions of the eif3ba mutant...
- Sedykh I, Yoon B, Roberson L, Moskvin O, Dewey C, Grinblat Y. Zebrafish zic2 controls formation of periocular neural crest and choroid fissure morphogenesis. Dev Biol. 2017;429:92-104 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these data establish zic2 mutant zebrafish as a powerful new genetic model for in-depth dissection of cell interactions and genetic controls during craniofacial complex development. ..
- Damm E, Clements W. Pdgf signalling guides neural crest contribution to the haematopoietic stem cell specification niche. Nat Cell Biol. 2017;19:457-467 pubmed publisher..Preventing association of the NC with the DA leads to loss of HSCs. Our results define NC as key cellular components of the HSC specification niche that can be profiled to identify unknown HSC specification signals. ..
- Tan J, Fogley R, Flynn R, Ablain J, Yang S, Saint André V, et al. Stress from Nucleotide Depletion Activates the Transcriptional Regulator HEXIM1 to Suppress Melanoma. Mol Cell. 2016;62:34-46 pubmed publisher..Our study reveals an important role for HEXIM1 in coupling nucleotide metabolism with transcriptional regulation in melanoma. ..
- Payne Ferreira T, Yelick P. Alk8 is required for neural crest cell formation and development of pharyngeal arch cartilages. Dev Dyn. 2003;228:683-96 pubmed
- Berndt J, Halloran M. Semaphorin 3d promotes cell proliferation and neural crest cell development downstream of TCF in the zebrafish hindbrain. Development. 2006;133:3983-92 pubmed..Finally, Sema3d overexpression rescues reduced proliferation caused by DeltaTCF expression, suggesting that Sema3d lies downstream of Wnt/TCF signaling in the molecular pathway thought to control cell cycle in NCC precursors. ..
- Lee M, Bonner J, Bernard D, Sanchez E, Sause E, Prentice R, et al. Disruption of the folate pathway in zebrafish causes developmental defects. BMC Dev Biol. 2012;12:12 pubmed publisher..Zebrafish studies of the folate pathway and its deficiencies could provide insight into the underlying etiology of human birth defects and the natural role of folate in development. ..
- Kaufman C, Mosimann C, Fan Z, Yang S, Thomas A, Ablain J, et al. A zebrafish melanoma model reveals emergence of neural crest identity during melanoma initiation. Science. 2016;351:aad2197 pubmed publisher..Most benign nevi carry oncogenic BRAF(V600E) mutations but rarely become melanoma. The zebrafish crestin gene is expressed embryonically in neural crest progenitors (NCPs) and specifically reexpressed in melanoma...
- Uribe R, Bronner M. Meis3 is required for neural crest invasion of the gut during zebrafish enteric nervous system development. Mol Biol Cell. 2015;26:3728-40 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings support a model in which Meis3 is required for neural crest proliferation, migration into, and colonization of the gut such that its loss leads to severe defects in enteric nervous system development. ..
- Banerjee S, Isaacman Beck J, Schneider V, Granato M. A novel role for Lh3 dependent ECM modifications during neural crest cell migration in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e54609 pubmed publisher..Together these data suggest that Lh3-Collagen18A1 dependent ECM modifications regulate the transition of trunk neural crest cells from a non-segmental sheet like migration mode to a segmental stream migration mode. ..
- Cox S, Kim H, Garnett A, Medeiros D, An W, Crump J. An essential role of variant histone H3.3 for ectomesenchyme potential of the cranial neural crest. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1002938 pubmed publisher..3 in the broad potential of the ectoderm-derived CNC, including the ability to make the mesoderm-like ectomesenchymal precursors of the head skeleton...
- Tucker J, Mintzer K, Mullins M. The BMP signaling gradient patterns dorsoventral tissues in a temporally progressive manner along the anteroposterior axis. Dev Cell. 2008;14:108-19 pubmed publisher..We propose that a temporal cue regulates a cell's competence to respond to BMP signaling, allowing the acquisition of a cell's DV and AP identity simultaneously. ..
- Nie J, Wang H, He F, Huang H. Nusap1 is essential for neural crest cell migration in zebrafish. Protein Cell. 2010;1:259-66 pubmed publisher..Mechanistic studies revealed that nusap1 morphants have an altered expression pattern of neural crest markers crestin and sox9b, but normal expression of blood vessel and notochord markers gata1 and shh...
- Saadi I, Alkuraya F, Gisselbrecht S, Goessling W, Cavallesco R, Turbe Doan A, et al. Deficiency of the cytoskeletal protein SPECC1L leads to oblique facial clefting. Am J Hum Genet. 2011;89:44-55 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these data demonstrate that SPECC1L functions in actin-cytoskeleton reorganization and is required for proper facial morphogenesis. ..
- Li I, Chen Y, Wang Y, Tzeng B, Ou C, Lau Y, et al. Zebrafish Adar2 Edits the Q/R site of AMPA receptor Subunit gria2? transcript to ensure normal development of nervous system and cranial neural crest cells. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e97133 pubmed publisher..The expressions of crestin and sox9b in the neural crest cells were reduced in the adar2MO and gria2?QRMO...
- Zhang T, Zhou X, Ma X, Liu J. Mechanisms of cadmium-caused eye hypoplasia and hypopigmentation in zebrafish embryos. Aquat Toxicol. 2015;167:68-76 pubmed publisher..Moreover, based on expression of crestin, a neural crest marker, we found that embryos before the gastrula stage were more sensitive to cadmium toxicity ..
- Olesnicky E, Hernandez Lagunas L, Artinger K. prdm1a Regulates sox10 and islet1 in the development of neural crest and Rohon-Beard sensory neurons. Genesis. 2010;48:656-66 pubmed publisher..In addition, we identified a number of other novel downstream targets of Prdm1a that may be important for the development of diverse tissues during zebrafish embryogenesis. ..
- Luo N, Li H, Xiang B, Qiao L, He J, Ji Y, et al. Syndecan-4 modulates the proliferation of neural cells and the formation of CaP axons during zebrafish embryonic neurogenesis. Sci Rep. 2016;6:25300 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these data indicate that Syn4 suppresses the cellular proliferation during neurogenesis and is crucial for the formation of CaP axons during zebrafish embryogenesis. ..
- Bohnsack B, Kahana A. Thyroid hormone and retinoic acid interact to regulate zebrafish craniofacial neural crest development. Dev Biol. 2013;373:300-9 pubmed publisher..We conclude that TH regulates both rostral and caudal cranial neural crest. Further, coordinated interactions of TH and RA are required for proper craniofacial and ocular development...
- Chen Y, Harris M, Levesque M, NUSSLEIN VOLHARD C, Sonawane M. Heterogeneity across the dorso-ventral axis in zebrafish EVL is regulated by a novel module consisting of sox, snail1a and max genes. Mech Dev. 2012;129:13-23 pubmed publisher..Here, we have identified a transgenic line driving GFP under a crestin promoter, which specifically labels the dorsal domain of the EVL suggesting heterogeneity in the EVL across the ..
- Dou C, Zhang J. Effects of lead on neurogenesis during zebrafish embryonic brain development. J Hazard Mater. 2011;194:277-82 pubmed publisher..RT-PCR further proved the downregulation of the two genes. However, ngn1 and crestin gene expression patterns were similar in both the Pb-treated embryos and the control embryos...
- Gebruers E, Cordero Maldonado M, Gray A, Clements C, Harvey A, Edrada Ebel R, et al. A phenotypic screen in zebrafish identifies a novel small-molecule inducer of ectopic tail formation suggestive of alterations in non-canonical Wnt/PCP signaling. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e83293 pubmed publisher..Further investigation of pCAME's mechanism of action will help determine this compound's pharmacological utility...
- Tanaka H, Morimura R, Ohshima T. Dpysl2 (CRMP2) and Dpysl3 (CRMP4) phosphorylation by Cdk5 and DYRK2 is required for proper positioning of Rohon-Beard neurons and neural crest cells during neurulation in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2012;370:223-36 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the phosphorylation of Dpysl2 and Dpysl3 by Cdk5 and DYRK2 is required for the proper positioning of RB neurons and NCCs during neurulation in zebrafish embryos. ..
- Moro E, Tomanin R, Friso A, Modena N, Tiso N, Scarpa M, et al. A novel functional role of iduronate-2-sulfatase in zebrafish early development. Matrix Biol. 2010;29:43-50 pubmed publisher..Our results provide an insight into the early biological impairments underlying the Hunter syndrome and suggest the use of zebrafish as a novel tool to better understand lysosomal storage disorder pathogenesis...
- Lee J, Anholt R, Cole G. Olfactomedin-2 mediates development of the anterior central nervous system and head structures in zebrafish. Mech Dev. 2008;125:167-81 pubmed..Our studies show that this member of the olfactomedin protein family is an important regulator of development of the anterior nervous system. ..
- Lewis J, Bonner J, Modrell M, Ragland J, Moon R, Dorsky R, et al. Reiterated Wnt signaling during zebrafish neural crest development. Development. 2004;131:1299-308 pubmed..Taken together, these results demonstrate that Wnt signals are critical for the initial induction of zebrafish neural crest and suggest that this signaling pathway plays reiterated roles in its development. ..
- Solomon K, Kudoh T, Dawid I, Fritz A. Zebrafish foxi1 mediates otic placode formation and jaw development. Development. 2003;130:929-40 pubmed..In addition, foxi1 is expressed in the developing branchial arches, and jaw formation is disrupted in hearsay mutant embryos. ..