Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: col2a1a
Description: collagen, type II, alpha 1a
Alias: col2a1, coll2a1, fb38c06, fc10c01, wu:fb38c06, wu:fc10c01, collagen alpha-1(II) chain, collagen type II, alpha 1
- Schier A, Neuhauss S, Helde K, Talbot W, Driever W. The one-eyed pinhead gene functions in mesoderm and endoderm formation in zebrafish and interacts with no tail. Development. 1997;124:327-42 pubmed..These results reveal a redundant function of oep and ntl in mesoderm formation. Our data suggest that both oep and ntl act in the blastoderm margin to specify mesendodermal cell fates. ..
- Crotwell P, Mabee P. Gene expression patterns underlying proximal-distal skeletal segmentation in late-stage zebrafish, Danio rerio. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:3111-28 pubmed..similar between tetrapods and zebrafish: bmp2b, bmp4, chordin, and gdf5 in interradial mesenchyme and ZS; bapx1, col2a1, noggin3, and sox9a in chondrocytes...
- Plaster N, Sonntag C, Schilling T, Hammerschmidt M. REREa/Atrophin-2 interacts with histone deacetylase and Fgf8 signaling to regulate multiple processes of zebrafish development. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:1891-904 pubmed..We present a model for RERE-dependent patterning in which tissue-specific transcriptional repression, by means of an REREa-HDAC complex, modulates growth factor signaling during embryogenesis. ..
- Stemple D, Solnica Krezel L, Zwartkruis F, Neuhauss S, Schier A, Malicki J, et al. Mutations affecting development of the notochord in zebrafish. Development. 1996;123:117-28 pubmed
- Yokoi H, Yan Y, Miller M, Bremiller R, Catchen J, Johnson E, et al. Expression profiling of zebrafish sox9 mutants reveals that Sox9 is required for retinal differentiation. Dev Biol. 2009;329:1-15 pubmed publisher..Results identified genes expressed in cartilage (col2a1a and col11a2), retina (calb2a, calb2b, crx, neurod, rs1, sox4a and vsx1) and pectoral fin bud (klf2b and EST ..
- Eberhart J, Swartz M, Crump J, Kimmel C. Early Hedgehog signaling from neural to oral epithelium organizes anterior craniofacial development. Development. 2006;133:1069-77 pubmed
- Yan Y, Hatta K, Riggleman B, Postlethwait J. Expression of a type II collagen gene in the zebrafish embryonic axis. Dev Dyn. 1995;203:363-76 pubmed..This work reports the cloning and expression pattern of one of these differentiation genes, a type II collagen (col2a1) gene from the zebrafish Danio rerio...
- Bisgrove B, Essner J, Yost H. Regulation of midline development by antagonism of lefty and nodal signaling. Development. 1999;126:3253-62 pubmed..A model is proposed by which the vertebrate midline, and thus bilateral symmetry, is established and maintained by antagonistic interactions among co-expressed members of the lefty and nodal subfamilies of TGF-beta signaling molecules. ..
- Chiang E, Pai C, Wyatt M, Yan Y, Postlethwait J, Chung B. Two sox9 genes on duplicated zebrafish chromosomes: expression of similar transcription activators in distinct sites. Dev Biol. 2001;231:149-63 pubmed..Expression of sox9a/b correlates well with that of col2a1 in chondrogenic elements...
- Yan Y, Miller C, Nissen R, Singer A, Liu D, Kirn A, et al. A zebrafish sox9 gene required for cartilage morphogenesis. Development. 2002;129:5065-79 pubmed..Homozygous mutant embryos had greatly reduced quantities of col2a1 message, the major collagen of cartilage...
- Eames B, Singer A, Smith G, Wood Z, Yan Y, He X, et al. UDP xylose synthase 1 is required for morphogenesis and histogenesis of the craniofacial skeleton. Dev Biol. 2010;341:400-15 pubmed publisher..Proteoglycans were dramatically reduced and defectively localized in uxs1 mutants. Although col2a1a transcripts over-accumulated in uxs1 mutants, diminished quantities of Col2a1 protein suggested a role for ..
- Rau M, Fischer S, Neumann C. Zebrafish Trap230/Med12 is required as a coactivator for Sox9-dependent neural crest, cartilage and ear development. Dev Biol. 2006;296:83-93 pubmed..Mediator is a coactivator complex transducing the interaction of DNA-binding transcription factors with RNA polymerase II, and our results reveal a critical function of the Trap230 subunit as a coactivator for Sox9. ..
- Lang M, Lapierre L, Frotscher M, Goldenring J, Knapik E. Secretory COPII coat component Sec23a is essential for craniofacial chondrocyte maturation. Nat Genet. 2006;38:1198-203 pubmed..As SEC23A lesions cause the cranio-lenticulo-sutural dysplasia syndrome, crusher provides the first vertebrate model system that links the biology of endoplasmic reticulum to Golgi trafficking with a clinically relevant dysmorphology. ..
- Bussmann J, Schulte Merker S. Rapid BAC selection for tol2-mediated transgenesis in zebrafish. Development. 2011;138:4327-32 pubmed publisher..Importantly, we provide evidence that BAC size shows no apparent correlation to the transgenesis rate achieved and that there are no severe position effects. ..
- Chen W, Burgess S, Hopkins N. Analysis of the zebrafish smoothened mutant reveals conserved and divergent functions of hedgehog activity. Development. 2001;128:2385-96 pubmed..Taken together, these data demonstrate the conserved role of vertebrate smoothened in the hedgehog signaling pathway, and reveal similarities and differences of hedgehog function between teleosts and amniotes. ..
- Rastegar S, Albert S, Le Roux I, Fischer N, Blader P, Muller F, et al. A floor plate enhancer of the zebrafish netrin1 gene requires Cyclops (Nodal) signalling and the winged helix transcription factor FoxA2. Dev Biol. 2002;252:1-14 pubmed..This suggests that components of the regulatory circuits controlling expression in the floor plate are conserved and that FoxA2-given its importance for midline development also in the mouse-may be one such component. ..
- Bohnsack B, Kahana A. Thyroid hormone and retinoic acid interact to regulate zebrafish craniofacial neural crest development. Dev Biol. 2013;373:300-9 pubmed publisher..We conclude that TH regulates both rostral and caudal cranial neural crest. Further, coordinated interactions of TH and RA are required for proper craniofacial and ocular development...
- Ning G, Liu X, Dai M, Meng A, Wang Q. MicroRNA-92a upholds Bmp signaling by targeting noggin3 during pharyngeal cartilage formation. Dev Cell. 2013;24:283-95 pubmed publisher..Therefore, mir92a acts to maintain Bmp activity during pharyngeal cartilage formation by targeting nog3. ..
- Yang Y, Thorpe C. BMP and non-canonical Wnt signaling are required for inhibition of secondary tail formation in zebrafish. Development. 2011;138:2601-11 pubmed publisher..We propose a model in which BMP and the non-canonical Wnt pathway regulate tail morphogenesis by controlling cell migration and cell adhesion within the tailbud...
- Chen J, Galloway J. The development of zebrafish tendon and ligament progenitors. Development. 2014;141:2035-45 pubmed publisher..Within this context, the zebrafish model can be used to provide new avenues for studying tendon biology in a vertebrate genetic system. ..
- Esterberg R, Delalande J, Fritz A. Tailbud-derived Bmp4 drives proliferation and inhibits maturation of zebrafish chordamesoderm. Development. 2008;135:3891-901 pubmed publisher..Our results illustrate a role for Bmp4 in the proliferation and timely differentiation of axial tissue after DV axis specification. ..
- Laue K, Janicke M, Plaster N, Sonntag C, Hammerschmidt M. Restriction of retinoic acid activity by Cyp26b1 is required for proper timing and patterning of osteogenesis during zebrafish development. Development. 2008;135:3775-87 pubmed publisher..cyp26b1 mutants may serve as a model to study the etiology of human vertebral disorders such as Klippel-Feil anomaly. ..
- Haendel M, Tilton F, Bailey G, Tanguay R. Developmental toxicity of the dithiocarbamate pesticide sodium metam in zebrafish. Toxicol Sci. 2004;81:390-400 pubmed..Our results indicate that developing zebrafish are sensitive to NaM and MITC and we believe that this model is ideal to elucidate the molecular mechanism(s) and etiology of NaM toxicity in vertebrates. ..
- Sarmah B, Latimer A, Appel B, Wente S. Inositol polyphosphates regulate zebrafish left-right asymmetry. Dev Cell. 2005;9:133-45 pubmed..Our data suggest that the pathway for inositol hexakisphosphate production is a key regulator of asymmetric Ca(2+) flux during LR specification. ..
- Lewis K, Eisen J. Hedgehog signaling is required for primary motoneuron induction in zebrafish. Development. 2001;128:3485-95 pubmed..Our results also suggest that Twhh and Shh are more important for motoneuron development than Ehh. ..
- Freitas R, Gómez Marín C, Wilson J, Casares F, Gomez Skarmeta J. Hoxd13 contribution to the evolution of vertebrate appendages. Dev Cell. 2012;23:1219-29 pubmed publisher..Our results support the idea that modulation of 5'Hoxd gene expression, by acquisition of novel enhancer elements, offered the substrate for the evolution of fins and the origin of tetrapod limbs. ..
- Warga R, Wicklund A, Webster S, Kane D. Progressive loss of RacGAP1/ogre activity has sequential effects on cytokinesis and zebrafish development. Dev Biol. 2016;418:307-22 pubmed publisher..We conclude that while RacGAP1 function is crucial for cytokinesis and its activity at different levels controls different aspects of cytokinesis, these defects have occluded other critical roles of this interesting protein. ..
- Beattie C, Hatta K, Halpern M, Liu H, Eisen J, Kimmel C. Temporal separation in the specification of primary and secondary motoneurons in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 1997;187:171-82 pubmed..These results suggest that both primary and secondary motoneurons are specified by signals from midline tissues, but at very different stages of embryonic development. ..
- Askary A, Mork L, Paul S, He X, Izuhara A, Gopalakrishnan S, et al. Iroquois Proteins Promote Skeletal Joint Formation by Maintaining Chondrocytes in an Immature State. Dev Cell. 2015;35:358-65 pubmed publisher..Irx factors suppress the production of cartilage matrix at the joint in part by preventing the activation of a col2a1a enhancer by Sox9a...
- Baas D, Malbouyres M, Haftek Terreau Z, Le Guellec D, Ruggiero F. Craniofacial cartilage morphogenesis requires zebrafish col11a1 activity. Matrix Biol. 2009;28:490-502 pubmed publisher..Knockdown of col11a1 in embryos stimulated the expression of the marker of chondrocyte differentiation col2a1, resulting in the deposit of abnormally thick and sparse fibrils in the cartilage extracellular matrix...
- Lau M, Kwong E, Lai K, Li J, Ho J, Chan T, et al. Pathogenesis of POLR1C-dependent Type 3 Treacher Collins Syndrome revealed by a zebrafish model. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2016;1862:1147-58 pubmed publisher..Lastly, we partially rescued the TCS facial phenotype in the background of p53 mutants, which supported the hypothesis that POLR1C-dependent type 3 TCS is associated with the p53 pathway. ..
- Varga Z, Amores A, Lewis K, Yan Y, Postlethwait J, Eisen J, et al. Zebrafish smoothened functions in ventral neural tube specification and axon tract formation. Development. 2001;128:3497-509 pubmed..We propose that smoothened is required for induction of lateral floor plate and a subpopulation of hypothalamic cells and for maintenance of medial floor plate and hypothalamic cells. ..
- Stewart R, Arduini B, Berghmans S, George R, Kanki J, Henion P, et al. Zebrafish foxd3 is selectively required for neural crest specification, migration and survival. Dev Biol. 2006;292:174-88 pubmed
- Latimer A, Shin J, Appel B. her9 promotes floor plate development in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2005;232:1098-104 pubmed..We show that, instead, her9 is a downstream effector of Nodal signaling for floor plate specification. ..
- Mangos S, Lam P, Zhao A, Liu Y, Mudumana S, Vasilyev A, et al. The ADPKD genes pkd1a/b and pkd2 regulate extracellular matrix formation. Dis Model Mech. 2010;3:354-65 pubmed publisher..Dorsal axis curvature was linked to notochord collagen overexpression and could be reversed by knockdown of col2a1 mRNA or chemical inhibition of collagen crosslinking...
- Ghassibe Sabbagh M, Desmyter L, Langenberg T, Claes F, Boute O, Bayet B, et al. FAF1, a gene that is disrupted in cleft palate and has conserved function in zebrafish. Am J Hum Genet. 2011;88:150-61 pubmed publisher..as a result of a failure of CNC to differentiate into and express cartilage-specific markers, such as sox9a and col2a1. Administration of faf1 mRNA rescues this phenotype...
- Lien H, Yang C, Cheng C, Hung C, Liao W, Hwang P, et al. A novel zinc finger protein 219-like (ZNF219L) is involved in the regulation of collagen type 2 alpha 1a (col2a1a) gene expression in zebrafish notochord. Int J Biol Sci. 2013;9:872-86 pubmed publisher..The znf219L morpholino knockdown caused partial abnormal notochord phenotype and reduced expression of endogenous col2a1a in the notochord specifically...
- David A, Margarit E, Domizi P, Banchio C, Armas P, Calcaterra N. G-quadruplexes as novel cis-elements controlling transcription during embryonic development. Nucleic Acids Res. 2016;44:4163-73 pubmed publisher..Among the PQSs able to fold in vitro as G-quadruplex, those present in nog3, col2a1 and fzd5 promoters were selected for further studies...
- Latimer A, Appel B. Notch signaling regulates midline cell specification and proliferation in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2006;298:392-402 pubmed..Together, our results indicate that Notch signaling regulates allocation of appropriate numbers of different midline cells by different mechanisms. ..
- Ferrari L, Pistocchi A, Libera L, Boari N, Mortini P, Bellipanni G, et al. FAS/FASL are dysregulated in chordoma and their loss-of-function impairs zebrafish notochord formation. Oncotarget. 2014;5:5712-24 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, we observed the persistent expression of ntla and col2a1a, the zebrafish homologs of the human T gene and COL2A1 respectively, which are specifically up-regulated in ..
- Hou N, Yang Y, Scott I, Lou X. The Sec domain protein Scfd1 facilitates trafficking of ECM components during chondrogenesis. Dev Biol. 2017;421:8-15 pubmed publisher..These results show that the existence of a specific export pathway, mediated by a complex containing SCFD1 and STX18 that plays an essential role in secretion of large ECM proteins during chondrogenesis. ..
- Gouttenoire J, Valcourt U, Bougault C, Aubert Foucher E, Arnaud E, Giraud L, et al. Knockdown of the intraflagellar transport protein IFT46 stimulates selective gene expression in mouse chondrocytes and affects early development in zebrafish. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:30960-73 pubmed..Thus our results taken together indicate that the ciliary protein IFT46 has a specific function in chondrocytes and is also essential for normal development of vertebrates. ..
- Talbot J, Nichols J, Yan Y, Leonard I, Bremiller R, Amacher S, et al. Pharyngeal morphogenesis requires fras1-itga8-dependent epithelial-mesenchymal interaction. Dev Biol. 2016;416:136-148 pubmed publisher..We propose a model wherein Fras1 and Itga8 interact during late pharyngeal pouch morphogenesis to sculpt pharyngeal arches through epithelial-mesenchymal interactions, thereby stabilizing the developing craniofacial skeleton. ..
- Nishioka T, Arima N, Kano K, Hama K, Itai E, Yukiura H, et al. ATX-LPA1 axis contributes to proliferation of chondrocytes by regulating fibronectin assembly leading to proper cartilage formation. Sci Rep. 2016;6:23433 pubmed publisher..Thus, the ATX-LPA1 axis is a key regulator of cartilage formation. ..
- Green J, Taylor J, Hindes A, Johnson S, Goldsmith M. A gain of function mutation causing skeletal overgrowth in the rapunzel mutant. Dev Biol. 2009;334:224-34 pubmed publisher..This report provides the first gene identification for a mutation affecting segment number in the zebrafish fin and development of both the fin ray (dermal) and the axial skeleton. ..
- Tiso N, Filippi A, Pauls S, Bortolussi M, Argenton F. BMP signalling regulates anteroposterior endoderm patterning in zebrafish. Mech Dev. 2002;118:29-37 pubmed..Our results suggest that by regulating the expression of her5, the Bmp2b/Chordin gradient directs the anteroposterior patterning of endoderm in zebrafish embryos. ..
- Row R, Tsotras S, Goto H, Martin B. The zebrafish tailbud contains two independent populations of midline progenitor cells that maintain long-term germ layer plasticity and differentiate in response to local signaling cues. Development. 2016;143:244-54 pubmed publisher..These cells remain receptive to extracellular cues after gastrulation and continue to make basic germ layer decisions. ..
- BIRKHOLZ D, OLESNICKY KILLIAN E, George K, Artinger K. Prdm1a is necessary for posterior pharyngeal arch development in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:2575-87 pubmed publisher..Together, these results indicate an essential role for prdm1a in the development of the zebrafish craniofacial skeleton...
- Yan Y, Talbot W, Egan E, Postlethwait J. Mutant rescue by BAC clone injection in zebrafish. Genomics. 1998;50:287-9 pubmed..We conclude that the injection of large-insert genomic clones will speed the isolation of zebrafish genes disrupted by mutation and hence the identification of gene functions necessary for development of vertebrate embryos. ..
- Postlethwait J, Yan Y, Gates M, Horne S, Amores A, Brownlie A, et al. Vertebrate genome evolution and the zebrafish gene map. Nat Genet. 1998;18:345-9 pubmed..This zebrafish gene map will facilitate molecular identification of mutated zebrafish genes, which can suggest functions for human genes known only by sequence. ..
- Levic D, Minkel J, Wang W, Rybski W, Melville D, Knapik E. Animal model of Sar1b deficiency presents lipid absorption deficits similar to Anderson disease. J Mol Med (Berl). 2015;93:165-76 pubmed publisher..Key messages: Sar1b depletion phenotype in zebrafish resembles Anderson disease deficits. Sar1b deficiency results in multi-organ developmental deficits. Sar1b is required for dietary cholesterol uptake into enterocytes. ..
- Montalbano A, Juergensen L, Roeth R, Weiss B, Fukami M, Fricke Otto S, et al. Retinoic acid catabolizing enzyme CYP26C1 is a genetic modifier in SHOX deficiency. EMBO Mol Med. 2016;8:1455-1469 pubmed publisher..Individual morpholino knockdown of either gene shortens the pectoral fins, whereas depletion of both genes leads to a more severe phenotype. Together, our findings describe CYP26C1 as the first genetic modifier for SHOX deficiency. ..
- Quintana A, Hernandez J, Gonzalez C. Functional analysis of the zebrafish ortholog of HMGCS1 reveals independent functions for cholesterol and isoprenoids in craniofacial development. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180856 pubmed publisher..Moreover, our results describe a novel function for isoprenoids in facial development and collectively suggest that cholesterol regulates craniofacial development through versatile mechanisms. ..
- Pittlik S, Begemann G. New sources of retinoic acid synthesis revealed by live imaging of an Aldh1a2-GFP reporter fusion protein throughout zebrafish development. Dev Dyn. 2012;241:1205-16 pubmed publisher..The novel aldh1a2 reporter line is driven by the complete set of regulatory sequences required for zebrafish development, reports novel sources of RA synthesis, and identifies the source of RA that promotes vertebral ossification. ..
- Lele Z, Krone P. Expression of genes encoding the collagen-binding heat shock protein (Hsp47) and type II collagen in developing zebrafish embryos. Mech Dev. 1997;61:89-98 pubmed..Strong expression of hsp47 mRNA is co-incident predominantly with expression of the type II collagen gene (col2a1) in a number of chondrogenic and non-chondrogenic tissues including the notochord, otic vesicle and developing ..
- Warga R, Kane D. One-eyed pinhead regulates cell motility independent of Squint/Cyclops signaling. Dev Biol. 2003;261:391-411 pubmed..We conclude that, in addition to a role in Nodal signaling, One-eyed pinhead is required for aspects of cell movement, possibly by regulating cell adhesion. ..
- Henshall T, Tucker B, Lumsden A, Nornes S, Lardelli M, Richards R. Selective neuronal requirement for huntingtin in the developing zebrafish. Hum Mol Genet. 2009;18:4830-42 pubmed publisher..These investigations demonstrate a specific 'rate-limiting' role for huntingtin in formation of the telencephalon and the pre-placodal region, and differing levels of requirement for huntingtin function in specific nerve cell types. ..
- Kang N, Won M, Rhee M, Ro H. Siah ubiquitin ligases modulate nodal signaling during zebrafish embryonic development. Mol Cells. 2014;37:389-98 pubmed publisher..Additionally, since the embryos injected with Siah morpholinos mimicked the atv overexpression phenotype at least in part, our data support a model in which Siah is involved in mesendoderm patterning via modulating Nodal signaling. ..
- Appel B, Marasco P, McClung L, Latimer A. lunatic fringe regulates Delta-Notch induction of hypochord in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2003;228:281-6 pubmed
- Aquilina Beck A, Ilagan K, Liu Q, Liang J. Nodal signaling is required for closure of the anterior neural tube in zebrafish. BMC Dev Biol. 2007;7:126 pubmed
- Sarmah S, Barrallo Gimeno A, Melville D, Topczewski J, Solnica Krezel L, Knapik E. Sec24D-dependent transport of extracellular matrix proteins is required for zebrafish skeletal morphogenesis. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e10367 pubmed publisher..Our study presents the first developmental perspective on Sec24D function and establishes Sec24D as a strong candidate for cartilage maintenance diseases and craniofacial birth defects. ..
- Wright G, Leslie J, Ariza McNaughton L, Lewis J. Delta proteins and MAGI proteins: an interaction of Notch ligands with intracellular scaffolding molecules and its significance for zebrafish development. Development. 2004;131:5659-69 pubmed..They do, however, show an anomalous distribution of Rohon-Beard neurons in the dorsal neural tube, suggesting that the Delta-MAGI interaction may play some part in the control of neuron migration. ..
- Solnica Krezel L, Driever W. The role of the homeodomain protein Bozozok in zebrafish axis formation. Int J Dev Biol. 2001;45:299-310 pubmed..Notably, Bozozok appears to function by repressing transcription of target genes such as swr (bmp2b) gene, and as such is the earliest acting repressor that the nascent dorsal axis is using to antagonize ventral influences...
- Williams C, Kim S, Ni T, Mitchell L, Ro H, Penn J, et al. Hedgehog signaling induces arterial endothelial cell formation by repressing venous cell fate. Dev Biol. 2010;341:196-204 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these studies suggest that arterial endothelial cells are specified and formed via repressing venous cell fate at the lateral plate mesoderm by Hh signaling during vasculogenesis. ..
- Zhang X, Zhou Q, Zou W, Hu X. Molecular Mechanisms of Developmental Toxicity Induced by Graphene Oxide at Predicted Environmental Concentrations. Environ Sci Technol. 2017;51:7861-7871 pubmed publisher..Because of the potential developmental toxicity of GO at trace concentrations, government administrators and nanomaterial producers should consider its potential risks prior to the widespread environmental exposure to GO. ..
- Ling I, Rochard L, Liao E. Distinct requirements of wls, wnt9a, wnt5b and gpc4 in regulating chondrocyte maturation and timing of endochondral ossification. Dev Biol. 2017;421:219-232 pubmed publisher..This study demonstrates the importance of the non-canonical Wnt pathway in regulating coordinated ventral cartilage morphogenesis and ossification. ..
- Chandrasekar G, Arner A, Kitambi S, Dahlman Wright K, Lendahl M. Developmental toxicity of the environmental pollutant 4-nonylphenol in zebrafish. Neurotoxicol Teratol. 2011;33:752-64 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that 4-NP enduringly affects the embryonic development in zebrafish and that this compound might exert these deleterious effects through diverse signaling pathways. ..
- Signore I, Jerez C, Figueroa D, Suazo J, Marcelain K, Cerda O, et al. Inhibition of the 3-hydroxy-3-methyl-glutaryl-CoA reductase induces orofacial defects in zebrafish. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol. 2016;106:814-830 pubmed publisher..Together, our results might help to understand the spectrum of orofacial phenotypes found in cholesterol synthesis disorders. Birth Defects Research (Part A) 106:814-830, 2016. © 2016 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. ..
- Bink R, Habuchi H, Lele Z, Dolk E, Joore J, Rauch G, et al. Heparan sulfate 6-o-sulfotransferase is essential for muscle development in zebrafish. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:31118-27 pubmed..In conclusion, our results show that transfer of sulfate to specific positions on glycosaminoglycans is essential for muscle development. ..
- van Boxtel A, Pieterse B, Cenijn P, Kamstra J, Brouwer A, van Wieringen W, et al. Dithiocarbamates induce craniofacial abnormalities and downregulate sox9a during zebrafish development. Toxicol Sci. 2010;117:209-17 pubmed publisher..Together, we provide evidence for a novel teratogenic endpoint and a molecular basis for a better understanding of DTC-induced teratogenesis in vertebrates. ..
- Neacsu C, Ko Y, Tagariello A, Røkenes Karlsen K, Neiss W, Paulsson M, et al. Matrilin-1 is essential for zebrafish development by facilitating collagen II secretion. J Biol Chem. 2014;289:1505-18 pubmed publisher..The results show that matrilin-1 is indispensible for zebrafish cartilage formation and plays a role in the early collagen II-dependent developmental events. ..
- Hoffman G, Branam A, Huang G, Pelegri F, Cole W, Wenstrup R, et al. Characterization of the six zebrafish clade B fibrillar procollagen genes, with evidence for evolutionarily conserved alternative splicing within the pro-alpha1(V) C-propeptide. Matrix Biol. 2010;29:261-75 pubmed publisher..Data presented herein provide insights into the nature of clade B procollagen chains and should facilitate their study in the zebrafish model system. ..