Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: cdx4
Description: caudal type homeobox 4
Alias: CHUNP6923, cad1, cb546, cdx1, id:ibd1215, id:ibd2812, id:ibd5107, kgg, kugelig, homeobox protein CDX-4, caudal homeobox 1, caudal type homeo box transcription factor 4
- Shimizu T, Bae Y, Muraoka O, Hibi M. Interaction of Wnt and caudal-related genes in zebrafish posterior body formation. Dev Biol. 2005;279:125-41 pubmed..Of posterior body-formation genes, expression of the caudal-related cdx1a and cdx4/kugelig, but not bmps or cyclops, was strongly reduced in the wnt3a/wnt8 morphant embryos...
- Wei W, Wen L, Huang P, Zhang Z, Chen Y, Xiao A, et al. Gfi1.1 regulates hematopoietic lineage differentiation during zebrafish embryogenesis. Cell Res. 2008;18:677-85 pubmed publisher..1 plays a critical role in regulating the balance of embryonic erythroid and myeloid lineage determination, and is also required for the differentiation of lymphocytes and granulocytes during zebrafish embryogenesis. ..
- Skromne I, Thorsen D, Hale M, Prince V, Ho R. Repression of the hindbrain developmental program by Cdx factors is required for the specification of the vertebrate spinal cord. Development. 2007;134:2147-58 pubmed..Loss of Cdx1a and Cdx4 functions causes posterior expansion of the hindbrain at the expense of the unsegmented spinal cord...
- Wang S, Yin J, Chen D, Nie F, Song X, Fei C, et al. Small-molecule modulation of Wnt signaling via modulating the Axin-LRP5/6 interaction. Nat Chem Biol. 2013;9:579-85 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our study not only provides new insights into the regulation of the Wnt/?-catenin signaling pathway by a Wnt-specific small molecule but also will facilitate therapeutic applications, such as HSC expansion. ..
- Pyati U, Webb A, Kimelman D. Transgenic zebrafish reveal stage-specific roles for Bmp signaling in ventral and posterior mesoderm development. Development. 2005;132:2333-43 pubmed..We conclude that the role of Bmp signaling in the ventral and posterior mesoderm changes as gastrulation proceeds. ..
- Shimizu T, Bae Y, Hibi M. Cdx-Hox code controls competence for responding to Fgfs and retinoic acid in zebrafish neural tissue. Development. 2006;133:4709-19 pubmed..Inhibiting the caudal-related genes cdx1a and cdx4 in zebrafish embryos caused ectopic expression of genes that are normally expressed in the posterior hindbrain and ..
- Berman J, Kanki J, Look A. Zebrafish as a model for myelopoiesis during embryogenesis. Exp Hematol. 2005;33:997-1006 pubmed
- Gebruers E, Cordero Maldonado M, Gray A, Clements C, Harvey A, Edrada Ebel R, et al. A phenotypic screen in zebrafish identifies a novel small-molecule inducer of ectopic tail formation suggestive of alterations in non-canonical Wnt/PCP signaling. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e83293 pubmed publisher..Further investigation of pCAME's mechanism of action will help determine this compound's pharmacological utility...
- Sagerstrom C, Kao B, Lane M, Sive H. Isolation and characterization of posteriorly restricted genes in the zebrafish gastrula. Dev Dyn. 2001;220:402-8 pubmed..We find that all eight genes are expressed in posteriorly restricted domains, suggesting that they are involved in regulating posterior development during zebrafish embryogenesis. ..
- Reece Hoyes J, Keenan I, Pownall M, Isaacs H. A consensus Oct1 binding site is required for the activity of the Xenopus Cdx4 promoter. Dev Biol. 2005;282:509-23 pubmed..We report an analysis of the upstream regulatory regions from the amphibian Xenopus laevis Cdx4 gene. We show that a GFP reporter containing 2...
- Liu J, Zhang D, Xie X, Ouyang G, Liu X, Sun Y, et al. Eaf1 and Eaf2 negatively regulate canonical Wnt/?-catenin signaling. Development. 2013;140:1067-78 pubmed publisher..In summary, our evidence points to a novel role for Eaf1 and Eaf2 in inhibiting canonical Wnt/?-catenin signaling, which might form the mechanistic basis for Eaf1 and Eaf2 tumor suppressor activity. ..
- Kinkel M, Eames S, Alonzo M, Prince V. Cdx4 is required in the endoderm to localize the pancreas and limit beta-cell number. Development. 2008;135:919-29 pubmed publisher..Here we focus on the role of cdx4 in patterning the endoderm in zebrafish...
- Takeuchi M, Fuse Y, Watanabe M, Andrea C, Takeuchi M, Nakajima H, et al. LSD1/KDM1A promotes hematopoietic commitment of hemangioblasts through downregulation of Etv2. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2015;112:13922-7 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that the LSD1-dependent shutdown of Etv2 gene expression may be a significant event required for hemangioblasts to initiate hematopoietic differentiation. ..
- Akanuma T, Koshida S, Kawamura A, Kishimoto Y, Takada S. Paf1 complex homologues are required for Notch-regulated transcription during somite segmentation. EMBO Rep. 2007;8:858-63 pubmed..Therefore, zebrafish homologues of the yeast Paf1 complex seem to preferentially affect a subset of genes, including Notch-regulated genes, during embryogenesis. ..
- Saito R, Tabata Y, Muto A, Arai K, Watanabe S. Melk-like kinase plays a role in hematopoiesis in the zebra fish. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:6682-93 pubmed..Taken together, our data suggest that the zMelk-like gene may play a role in primitive hematopoiesis by affecting the expression of genes critical for hematopoiesis. ..
- Sun Z, Amsterdam A, Pazour G, Cole D, Miller M, Hopkins N. A genetic screen in zebrafish identifies cilia genes as a principal cause of cystic kidney. Development. 2004;131:4085-93 pubmed..Our results also suggest that lesions in genes involved in cilia formation and function are the predominant cause of cystic kidney disease, and that the genes identified here are excellent candidates for novel human PKD genes. ..
- Gonzalez E, Fekany Lee K, Carmany Rampey A, Erter C, Topczewski J, Wright C, et al. Head and trunk in zebrafish arise via coinhibition of BMP signaling by bozozok and chordino. Genes Dev. 2000;14:3087-92 pubmed..Thus, a remarkably simple genetic mechanism, involving a coinhibition of BMP function by the partially overlapping bozozok and chordino pathways is used to specify vertebrate head and trunk. ..
- Rhinn M, Lun K, Ahrendt R, Geffarth M, Brand M. Zebrafish gbx1 refines the midbrain-hindbrain boundary border and mediates the Wnt8 posteriorization signal. Neural Dev. 2009;4:12 pubmed publisher..In addition to its role in MHB formation, we have shown that gbx1 is a novel mediator of Wnt8 signaling during hindbrain patterning. ..
- Yoda H, Momoi A, Esguerra C, Meyer D, Driever W, Kondoh H, et al. An expression pattern screen for genes involved in the induction of the posterior nervous system of zebrafish. Differentiation. 2003;71:152-62 pubmed..Thus, our approach employing cDNA subtraction and subsequent expression pattern screening allows us to clone candidate genes involved in a novel signaling pathway contributing to the formation of the posterior nervous system. ..
- Postlethwait J, Yan Y, Gates M, Horne S, Amores A, Brownlie A, et al. Vertebrate genome evolution and the zebrafish gene map. Nat Genet. 1998;18:345-9 pubmed..This zebrafish gene map will facilitate molecular identification of mutated zebrafish genes, which can suggest functions for human genes known only by sequence. ..
- Strahle U, Jesuthasan S. Ultraviolet irradiation impairs epiboly in zebrafish embryos: evidence for a microtubule-dependent mechanism of epiboly. Development. 1993;119:909-19 pubmed
- Kramer J, Granier C, Davis S, Piso K, Hand J, Rabson A, et al. PDCD2 controls hematopoietic stem cell differentiation during development. Stem Cells Dev. 2013;22:58-72 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the effects of pdcd2 in regulating mitotic cell death may contribute to its role(s) in directing hematopoietic differentiation during development...
- Nadauld L, Sandoval I, Chidester S, Yost H, Jones D. Adenomatous polyposis coli control of retinoic acid biosynthesis is critical for zebrafish intestinal development and differentiation. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:51581-9 pubmed..Our data establish a genetic link supporting a critical role for retinoic acid downstream of APC and confirm the importance of retinoic acid in enterocyte differentiation. ..
- Griffin K, Patient R, Holder N. Analysis of FGF function in normal and no tail zebrafish embryos reveals separate mechanisms for formation of the trunk and the tail. Development. 1995;121:2983-94 pubmed..Expression of eve1 and cad1 was also regulated by FGF activity, suggesting that during gastrulation FGF activity is normally restricted to the ..
- Chang J, Skromne I, Ho R. CDX4 and retinoic acid interact to position the hindbrain-spinal cord transition. Dev Biol. 2016;410:178-189 pubmed publisher..Two molecules, retinoic acid (RA) and the Cdx4 transcription factor have been previously implicated as important regulators of hindbrain and spinal cord ..
- Paik E, de Jong J, Pugach E, Opara P, Zon L. A chemical genetic screen in zebrafish for pathways interacting with cdx4 in primitive hematopoiesis. Zebrafish. 2010;7:61-8 pubmed publisher..In zebrafish, homozygous deletion of the cdx4 gene results in a mutant phenotype known as kugelig, with aberrant A-P patterning and severe anemia characterized by decreased gata1 expression in the posterior ..
- Xu X, Shuen W, Chen C, Goudevenou K, Jones P, Sablitzky F. Swap70b is required for convergent and extension cell movement during zebrafish gastrulation linking Wnt11 signalling and RhoA effector function. Dev Biol. 2014;386:191-203 pubmed publisher..This is distinct from the related Def6a protein that acts downstream of Wnt5b. Def6a/Swap70b morphants resemble Ppt/Slb double mutant embryos suggesting that Swap70b and Def6a delineate Wnt11 and Wnt5b signalling pathways. ..
- Paik E, Zon L. Hematopoietic development in the zebrafish. Int J Dev Biol. 2010;54:1127-37 pubmed publisher..In this review, we will summarize hematopoiesis in the zebrafish and discuss how genetic approaches using the zebrafish system have helped to build our current knowledge in the field of hematopoiesis. ..
- Muncan V, Faro A, Haramis A, Hurlstone A, Wienholds E, van Es J, et al. T-cell factor 4 (Tcf7l2) maintains proliferative compartments in zebrafish intestine. EMBO Rep. 2007;8:966-73 pubmed..This study underscores the involvement of Tcf4 in maintaining proliferative self-renewal in the intestine throughout life. ..
- Paik E, Mahony S, White R, Price E, DiBiase A, Dorjsuren B, et al. A Cdx4-Sall4 regulatory module controls the transition from mesoderm formation to embryonic hematopoiesis. Stem Cell Reports. 2013;1:425-36 pubmed publisher..Yet, the defects in hox gene expression only partially explain these phenotypes. To gain deeper insight into Cdx4 function, we performed chromatin immunoprecipitation sequencing (ChIP-seq) combined with gene-expression profiling ..
- Lele Z, Nowak M, Hammerschmidt M. Zebrafish admp is required to restrict the size of the organizer and to promote posterior and ventral development. Dev Dyn. 2001;222:681-7 pubmed
- Ro H, Dawid I. Modulation of Tcf3 repressor complex composition regulates cdx4 expression in zebrafish. EMBO J. 2011;30:2894-907 pubmed publisher..In zebrafish, cdx4 expression is controlled by the Wnt pathway, but the molecular mechanism of this regulation is not fully understood...
- He X, Zhang W, Yan C, Nie F, Li C, Liu X, et al. Chemical biology reveals CARF as a positive regulator of canonical Wnt signaling by promoting TCF/Î²-catenin transcriptional activity. Cell Discov. 2017;3:17003 pubmed publisher..Collectively, we identified CARF as the cellular target of NC043 and revealed CARF as a positive regulator of Wnt/Î²-catenin signal transduction. ..
- Xie X, Liu J, Hu B, Xiao W. Zebrafish foxo3b negatively regulates canonical Wnt signaling to affect early embryogenesis. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e24469 pubmed publisher..Our studies provide an in vivo model for illustrating function of FOXO transcription factors in embryogenesis. ..
- Hart D, Santra M, Raha T, Green M. Selective interaction between Trf3 and Taf3 required for early development and hematopoiesis. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:2540-9 pubmed publisher..Finally, we provide evidence that TRF3 and TAF3 are also required for hematopoiesis initiation in the mouse. ..
- Lengerke C, WINGERT R, Beeretz M, Grauer M, Schmidt A, Konantz M, et al. Interactions between Cdx genes and retinoic acid modulate early cardiogenesis. Dev Biol. 2011;354:134-42 pubmed publisher..Previously we have shown that the zebrafish homologues cdx1a and cdx4 redundantly regulate posterior mesodermal derivatives inducing embryonic blood cell fate specification and ..
- Zhou T, Wang L, Zhu K, Dong M, Xu P, Chen Y, et al. Dominant-negative C/ebp? and polycomb group protein Bmi1 extend short-lived hematopoietic stem/progenitor cell life span and induce lethal dyserythropoiesis. Blood. 2011;118:3842-52 pubmed publisher..The results indicate that Bmi1 acts immediately downstream of C/ebp?DN to regulate the survival and self-renewal of HSPCs and contribute to the erythropoietic dysplasia. ..
- Roy N, SAGERSTROM C. An early Fgf signal required for gene expression in the zebrafish hindbrain primordium. Brain Res Dev Brain Res. 2004;148:27-42 pubmed..Our results demonstrate an early role for Fgf signaling and reveal a dynamic relationship between the RA and Fgf signaling pathways during hindbrain development. ..
- Li X, Xiong J, Shelley C, Park H, Arnaout M. The transcription factor ZBP-89 controls generation of the hematopoietic lineage in zebrafish and mouse embryonic stem cells. Development. 2006;133:3641-50 pubmed..These findings establish a unique regulatory role for ZBP-89, positioned at the interface between early blood and blood vessel development. ..
- Kagermeier Schenk B, Wehner D, Ozhan Kizil G, Yamamoto H, Li J, Kirchner K, et al. Waif1/5T4 inhibits Wnt/?-catenin signaling and activates noncanonical Wnt pathways by modifying LRP6 subcellular localization. Dev Cell. 2011;21:1129-43 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that Waif1 modulates pathway selection in Wnt-receiving cells. ..
- Horsfield J, Anagnostou S, Hu J, Cho K, Geisler R, Lieschke G, et al. Cohesin-dependent regulation of Runx genes. Development. 2007;134:2639-49 pubmed..Our findings provide evidence for a novel role for cohesin in development, and indicate potential for monoallelic loss of cohesin subunits to alter gene expression. ..
- Chen M, Philipp M, Wang J, Premont R, Garrison T, Caron M, et al. G Protein-coupled receptor kinases phosphorylate LRP6 in the Wnt pathway. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:35040-8 pubmed publisher..LRP6 knock-down, as assessed by decreased abundance of beta-catenin and lowered expression of the Wnt target genes cdx4, vent, and axin2...
- Marlow F, Gonzalez E, Yin C, Rojo C, Solnica Krezel L. No tail co-operates with non-canonical Wnt signaling to regulate posterior body morphogenesis in zebrafish. Development. 2004;131:203-16 pubmed..Moreover, we provide genetic evidence for the notion that tail development entails a continuation of mechanisms regulating gastrulation together with mechanisms unique to the posterior body. ..
- Wan X, Hu B, Liu J, Feng X, Xiao W. Zebrafish mll gene is essential for hematopoiesis. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:33345-57 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings demonstrate that zebrafish mll plays essential roles in hematopoiesis and that gadd45?a may serve as a potential downstream target for mediating the function of mll in hematopoiesis. ..
- Lin X, Rinaldo L, Fazly A, Xu X. Depletion of Med10 enhances Wnt and suppresses Nodal signaling during zebrafish embryogenesis. Dev Biol. 2007;303:536-48 pubmed..Thus, Med10 appears to be a unique MED subunit that differentially transduces information from distinct signaling pathways during zebrafish embryogenesis. ..
- Yao S, Qian M, Deng S, Xie L, Yang H, Xiao C, et al. Kzp controls canonical Wnt8 signaling to modulate dorsoventral patterning during zebrafish gastrulation. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:42086-96 pubmed publisher..Thus, our results provide the first insight into the mechanism involved in the initiation of zygotic canonical Wnt signals by a maternally derived transcription factor. ..
- Cui B, Ren L, Xu Q, Yin L, Zhou X, Liu J. Silver_ nanoparticles inhibited erythrogenesis during zebrafish embryogenesis. Aquat Toxicol. 2016;177:295-305 pubmed publisher..Finally, it was pointed out that AgNPs affected erythrogenesis mostly by their particles other than their releasing ions. ..
- Rong X, Zhou Y, Liu Y, Zhao B, Wang B, Wang C, et al. Glutathione peroxidase 4 inhibits Wnt/?-catenin signaling and regulates dorsal organizer formation in zebrafish embryos. Development. 2017;144:1687-1697 pubmed publisher..Our findings unravel GPX4 as a suppressor of Wnt/?-catenin signals, suggesting a possible relationship between the Wnt/?-catenin pathway and selenium via the association of Tcf/Lef family proteins with GPX4. ..
- Goudevenou K, Martin P, Yeh Y, Jones P, Sablitzky F. Def6 is required for convergent extension movements during zebrafish gastrulation downstream of Wnt5b signaling. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e26548 pubmed publisher..In addition, by knocking down both def6 and Wnt11, we show that def6 synergises with the Wnt11 signaling pathway. ..
- Handrigan G. Concordia discors: duality in the origin of the vertebrate tail. J Anat. 2003;202:255-67 pubmed
- Yue R, Kang J, Zhao C, Hu W, Tang Y, Liu X, et al. Beta-arrestin1 regulates zebrafish hematopoiesis through binding to YY1 and relieving polycomb group repression. Cell. 2009;139:535-46 pubmed publisher..In addition, the expression of cdx4, a critical regulator of embryonic blood formation, and its downstream hox genes were downregulated by depletion of ..
- Hsia N, Zon L. Transcriptional regulation of hematopoietic stem cell development in zebrafish. Exp Hematol. 2005;33:1007-14 pubmed..Future studies using new technologies in the zebrafish model will enhance our understanding of the molecular networks regulating HSC pluripotency and differentiation. ..