Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: cdh1
Description: cadherin 1, type 1, E-cadherin (epithelial)
Alias: E-cadherin, cadherin 1, type 1, E-cadherin (epithelial), cadherin 1, epithelial, hab, half baked
- Shimizu T, Yabe T, Muraoka O, Yonemura S, Aramaki S, Hatta K, et al. E-cadherin is required for gastrulation cell movements in zebrafish. Mech Dev. 2005;122:747-63 pubmed..Complementation analysis with the zebrafish epiboly mutant weg suggested that cdh1(rk3) is allelic to half baked/weg...
- Lin F, Chen S, Sepich D, Panizzi J, Clendenon S, Marrs J, et al. Galpha12/13 regulate epiboly by inhibiting E-cadherin activity and modulating the actin cytoskeleton. J Cell Biol. 2009;184:909-21 pubmed publisher..These results provide the first in vivo evidence that Galpha(12/13) regulate epiboly through two distinct mechanisms: limiting E-cadherin activity and modulating the organization of the actin cytoskeleton. ..
- Mich J, Blaser H, Thomas N, Firestone A, Yelon D, Raz E, et al. Germ cell migration in zebrafish is cyclopamine-sensitive but Smoothened-independent. Dev Biol. 2009;328:342-54 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that Hh signaling is not required for zebrafish PGC migration, and underscore the importance of regulated cell-cell adhesion for cell migration in vivo. ..
- Slanchev K, Carney T, Stemmler M, Koschorz B, Amsterdam A, Schwarz H, et al. The epithelial cell adhesion molecule EpCAM is required for epithelial morphogenesis and integrity during zebrafish epiboly and skin development. PLoS Genet. 2009;5:e1000563 pubmed publisher..In addition, EpCAM is required for the interaction of the epithelia with underlying cell layers. ..
- Babb S, Barnett J, Doedens A, Cobb N, Liu Q, Sorkin B, et al. Zebrafish E-cadherin: expression during early embryogenesis and regulation during brain development. Dev Dyn. 2001;221:231-7 pubmedZebrafish E-cadherin (cdh1) cell adhesion molecule cDNAs were cloned. We investigated spatial and temporal expression of cdh1 during early embryogenesis...
- Babb S, Marrs J. E-cadherin regulates cell movements and tissue formation in early zebrafish embryos. Dev Dyn. 2004;230:263-77 pubmed..To directly examine E-cadherin gene (cdh1) function in zebrafish, morpholino oligonucleotides (MOs) that inhibit E-cadherin protein (Cdh1) expression were ..
- McFarland K, Warga R, Kane D. Genetic locus half baked is necessary for morphogenesis of the ectoderm. Dev Dyn. 2005;233:390-406 pubmed..show that the epiboly mutations are located near the centromere of Linkage Group 7 in a single locus, termed the half baked locus...
- Song S, Eckerle S, Onichtchouk D, Marrs J, Nitschke R, Driever W. Pou5f1-dependent EGF expression controls E-cadherin endocytosis, cell adhesion, and zebrafish epiboly movements. Dev Cell. 2013;24:486-501 pubmed publisher..We hypothesize that dynamic control of E-cad trafficking is essential to effectively generate new adhesion sites when cells move relative to each other. ..
- Carney T, von der Hardt S, Sonntag C, Amsterdam A, Topczewski J, Hopkins N, et al. Inactivation of serine protease Matriptase1a by its inhibitor Hai1 is required for epithelial integrity of the zebrafish epidermis. Development. 2007;134:3461-71 pubmed..Our work provides direct genetic evidence for antagonistic in vivo roles of Hai1 and Matriptase1a to regulate skin homeostasis and remodeling. ..
- Kane D, Hammerschmidt M, Mullins M, Maischein H, Brand M, van Eeden F, et al. The zebrafish epiboly mutants. Development. 1996;123:47-55 pubmed..We isolated four mutations that affect epiboly: half baked, avalanche, lawine and weg...
- Moreno Mateos M, Vejnar C, Beaudoin J, Fernandez J, Mis E, Khokha M, et al. CRISPRscan: designing highly efficient sgRNAs for CRISPR-Cas9 targeting in vivo. Nat Methods. 2015;12:982-8 pubmed publisher..These results identify determinants that influence Cas9 activity and provide a framework for the design of highly efficient sgRNAs for genome targeting in vivo. ..
- Tuttle A, Hoffman T, Schilling T. Rabconnectin-3a regulates vesicle endocytosis and canonical Wnt signaling in zebrafish neural crest migration. PLoS Biol. 2014;12:e1001852 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that different v-ATPases and associated proteins may play cell-type-specific functions in intracellular trafficking in many contexts...
- Tomasini A, Schuler A, Zebala J, Mayer A. PhotoMorphs: a novel light-activated reagent for controlling gene expression in zebrafish. Genesis. 2009;47:736-43 pubmed publisher..PhotoMorphs thus offer a new class of laboratory reagents suitable for the spatiotemporal control of gene expression in the zebrafish. ..
- Wang L, Liu Z, Lin H, Ma D, Tao Q, Liu F. Epigenetic regulation of left-right asymmetry by DNA methylation. EMBO J. 2017;36:2987-2997 pubmed publisher..We also show that Dnmt3bb.1 regulates collective DFC migration through cadherin 1 (Cdh1)...
- Dohn M, Mundell N, Sawyer L, Dunlap J, Jessen J. Planar cell polarity proteins differentially regulate extracellular matrix organization and assembly during zebrafish gastrulation. Dev Biol. 2013;383:39-51 pubmed publisher..Together, our results demonstrate that zebrafish Vangl2/Prickle1a and non-canonical Wnt/Frizzled signaling have opposing effects on ECM organization underlying PCP and gastrulation cell movements...
- Xing C, Gong B, Xue Y, Han Y, Wang Y, Meng A, et al. TGFÎ²1a regulates zebrafish posterior lateral line formation via Smad5 mediated pathway. J Mol Cell Biol. 2015;7:48-61 pubmed publisher..Therefore, TGFÎ²/Smad5 signaling plays an important role in the zebrafish lateral line formation. ..
- Liu B, Joel Duff R, Londraville R, Marrs J, Liu Q. Cloning and expression analysis of cadherin7 in the central nervous system of the embryonic zebrafish. Gene Expr Patterns. 2007;7:15-22 pubmed..cdh7 expression becomes reduced in 3-day old embryos. Our results show that cdh7 expression in the zebrafish developing central nervous system is both spatially and temporally regulated. ..
- Usenko C, Hopkins D, Trumble S, Bruce E. Hydroxylated PBDEs induce developmental arrest in zebrafish. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2012;262:43-51 pubmed publisher..This study suggests that hydroxylated PBDEs disrupt development, and may induce oxidative stress and potentially disrupt the cholinergic system and thyroid hormone homeostasis. ..
- Verstraeten B, Sanders E, van Hengel J, Huysseune A. Zebrafish teeth as a model for repetitive epithelial morphogenesis: dynamics of E-cadherin expression. BMC Dev Biol. 2010;10:58 pubmed publisher..Further research is needed to understand the role of other cell adhesion systems during the development of teeth and the formation of replacement teeth. ..
- Arboleda Estudillo Y, Krieg M, Stühmer J, Licata N, Muller D, Heisenberg C. Movement directionality in collective migration of germ layer progenitors. Curr Biol. 2010;20:161-9 pubmed publisher..We conclude that movement directionality is not a de novo collective property of mesendoderm cells but rather a property of single mesendoderm cells that requires cell-cell adhesion during collective migration. ..
- Liu Q, Marrs J, Azodi E, Kerstetter A, Babb S, Hashmi L. Differential expression of cadherins in the developing and adult zebrafish olfactory system. J Comp Neurol. 2004;478:269-81 pubmed..We hypothesize that the differential expression of these three cadherins in the developing zebrafish major olfactory structures reflects functionally different roles in the development of the vertebrate olfactory system. ..
- Chen C, Lin D, Cheng C, Lin C, Lo Y, Yen C, et al. Cdc6 cooperates with c-Myc to promote genome instability and epithelial to mesenchymal transition EMT in zebrafish. Oncotarget. 2014;5:6300-11 pubmed..Our findings and other characteristics of zebrafish, including optical clarity and small molecule treatment, provide the future utility of this model for easy and non-invasive detection and for identification of new anti-cancer drug. ..
- Choe C, Crump J. Eph-Pak2a signaling regulates branching of the pharyngeal endoderm by inhibiting late-stage epithelial dynamics. Development. 2015;142:1089-94 pubmed publisher..Integration of Eph-ephrin and Wnt4a signaling through Pak2a thus signals the end of branching morphogenesis by increasing intercellular adhesion that blocks further epithelial rearrangements. ..
- Knaut H, Blader P, Strahle U, Schier A. Assembly of trigeminal sensory ganglia by chemokine signaling. Neuron. 2005;47:653-66 pubmed..These results indicate that ganglion formation depends on the interplay of birthplace, chemokine attraction, cell-cell interaction, and cadherin-mediated adhesion. ..
- Yao X, Gray S, Pham T, Delgardo M, Nguyen A, Do S, et al. Downregulation of Bit1 expression promotes growth, anoikis resistance, and transformation of immortalized human bronchial epithelial cells via Erk activation-dependent suppression of E-cadherin. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2018;495:1240-1248 pubmed publisher..These collective findings indicate that loss of Bit1 expression contributes to the acquisition of malignant phenotype of human lung epithelial cells via Erk activation-induced suppression of E-cadherin expression. ..
- Hatzold J, Beleggia F, Herzig H, Altmuller J, Nurnberg P, Bloch W, et al. Tumor suppression in basal keratinocytes via dual non-cell-autonomous functions of a Na,K-ATPase beta subunit. elife. 2016;5: pubmed publisher..Our results identify hypotonic stress as a (previously unrecognized) contributor to tumor development and establish a novel paradigm of tumor suppression. ..
- Cronan M, Beerman R, ROSENBERG A, Saelens J, Johnson M, Oehlers S, et al. Macrophage Epithelial Reprogramming Underlies Mycobacterial Granuloma Formation and Promotes Infection. Immunity. 2016;45:861-876 pubmed publisher..Thus, during mycobacterial infection, granuloma macrophages are broadly reprogrammed by epithelial modules, and this reprogramming alters the trajectory of infection and the associated immune response. ..
- Blaser H, Eisenbeiss S, Neumann M, Reichman Fried M, Thisse B, Thisse C, et al. Transition from non-motile behaviour to directed migration during early PGC development in zebrafish. J Cell Sci. 2005;118:4027-38 pubmed..These distinctive morphological and molecular alterations could represent a general occurrence in similar processes critical for development and disease. ..
- Reischauer S, Levesque M, NUSSLEIN VOLHARD C, Sonawane M. Lgl2 executes its function as a tumor suppressor by regulating ErbB signaling in the zebrafish epidermis. PLoS Genet. 2009;5:e1000720 pubmed publisher..Our data reveal that pen/lgl2 functions as a tumor suppressor gene in vertebrates, establishing zebrafish pen/lgl2 mutants as a valuable cancer model. ..
- Mochizuki T, Luo Y, Tsai H, Hagiwara A, Masai I. Cell division and cadherin-mediated adhesion regulate lens epithelial cell movement in zebrafish. Development. 2017;144:708-719 pubmed publisher..Thus, cell division and cadherin-mediated adhesion regulate lens epithelial cell movement via modulation of epithelial tension. ..
- Kantarci H, Gerberding A, Riley B. Spemann organizer gene Goosecoid promotes delamination of neuroblasts from the otic vesicle. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016;113:E6840-E6848 pubmed..The opposing activities of Gsc and Pax2a correlate with repression or up-regulation, respectively, of E-cadherin (cdh1). These data resolve a genetic mechanism controlling delamination of otic neuroblasts...
- Lima A, Cha B, Amin J, Smith L, Anderson B. Zebrafish embryo model of Bartonella henselae infection. Zebrafish. 2014;11:434-46 pubmed publisher..Thus, the zebrafish embryo provides the first practical model of Bh infection that will facilitate efforts to identify virulence factors and define molecular mechanisms of Bh pathogenesis. ..
- Jung I, Leem G, Jung D, Kim M, Kim E, Kim S, et al. Glioma is formed by active Akt1 alone and promoted by active Rac1 in transgenic zebrafish. Neuro Oncol. 2013;15:290-304 pubmed publisher..The zebrafish model reinforces the pivotal role of Akt signaling in gliomagenesis and suggests Rac1 as an important protein involved in progression. ..
- Liu Q, Kerstetter A, Azodi E, Marrs J. Cadherin-1, -2, and -11 expression and cadherin-2 function in the pectoral limb bud and fin of the developing zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2003;228:734-9 pubmed
- Du S, Draper B, Mione M, Moens C, Bruce A. Differential regulation of epiboly initiation and progression by zebrafish Eomesodermin A. Dev Biol. 2012;362:11-23 pubmed publisher..We also show that Eomesa is required for normal expression of the endoderm markers sox32, bon and og9x; however it is not essential for endoderm formation. ..
- Schötz E, Burdine R, Jülicher F, Steinberg M, Heisenberg C, Foty R. Quantitative differences in tissue surface tension influence zebrafish germ layer positioning. HFSP J. 2008;2:42-56 pubmed publisher..We perform a mathematical analysis indicating that tissue interfacial tension between actively motile cells contributes to the spatial organization and dynamics of these zebrafish germ layers in vivo. ..
- Carvalho L, Stühmer J, Bois J, Kalaidzidis Y, Lecaudey V, Heisenberg C. Control of convergent yolk syncytial layer nuclear movement in zebrafish. Development. 2009;136:1305-15 pubmed publisher..In summary, our data reveal a crucial function for cortical flow in the coordination of syncytial nuclear movements with surrounding cells and tissues during zebrafish gastrulation. ..
- Seo J, Asaoka Y, Nagai Y, Hirayama J, Yamasaki T, Namae M, et al. Negative regulation of wnt11 expression by Jnk signaling during zebrafish gastrulation. J Cell Biochem. 2010;110:1022-37 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, non-canonical Wnt signaling may coordinate vertebrate CE movements by triggering Jnk activation that represses the expression of the CE-triggering ligand wnt11. ..
- Cerda J, Reidenbach S, Prätzel S, Franke W. Cadherin-catenin complexes during zebrafish oogenesis: heterotypic junctions between oocytes and follicle cells. Biol Reprod. 1999;61:692-704 pubmed..These findings suggest possible roles of these junctional proteins during early embryogenesis. ..
- Doi T, Puri P, Bannigan J, Thompson J. Disruption of calreticulin-mediated cellular adhesion signaling in the cadmium-induced omphalocele in the chick model. Pediatr Surg Int. 2010;26:91-5 pubmed publisher..05). There were no significant differences at 8H. Downregulation of CRT, E-cadherin and beta-catenin genes may cause omphalocele in the Cd chick model by disrupting CRT-mediated Ca(2+) signaling and AJs. ..
- Esguerra C, Nelles L, Vermeire L, Ibrahimi A, Crawford A, Derua R, et al. Ttrap is an essential modulator of Smad3-dependent Nodal signaling during zebrafish gastrulation and left-right axis determination. Development. 2007;134:4381-93 pubmed
- Gays D, Hess C, Camporeale A, Ala U, Provero P, Mosimann C, et al. An exclusive cellular and molecular network governs intestinal smooth muscle cell differentiation in vertebrates. Development. 2017;144:464-478 pubmed publisher..Together, our data uncover a cascade of molecular events that govern distinct morphogenetic steps during the emergence and differentiation of vertebrate iSMCs. ..
- Taylor K, Muraina I, Brethour D, Schmitt Ulms G, Nimmanon T, Ziliotto S, et al. Zinc transporter ZIP10 forms a heteromer with ZIP6 which regulates embryonic development and cell migration. Biochem J. 2016;473:2531-44 pubmed publisher..is associated with inactivation of GSK (glycogen synthase kinase)-3? and -3? and down-regulation of E-cadherin (CDH1). Morpholino-mediated knockdown of zip10 causes delayed epiboly and deformities of the head, eye, heart and tail...
- Malaga Trillo E, Solis G, Schrock Y, Geiss C, Luncz L, Thomanetz V, et al. Regulation of embryonic cell adhesion by the prion protein. PLoS Biol. 2009;7:e55 pubmed publisher..Altogether, our data uncover evolutionarily conserved roles of PrP in cell communication, which ultimately impinge on the stability of adherens cell junctions during embryonic development. ..
- Wittamer V, Bertrand J, Gutschow P, Traver D. Characterization of the mononuclear phagocyte system in zebrafish. Blood. 2011;117:7126-35 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that mhc2dab:GFP and cd45:DsRed transgenic lines will be instrumental in elucidating the immune response in the zebrafish. ..
- Morris E, Bodin S, Delaval B, Comunale F, Georget V, Costa M, et al. Flotillins control zebrafish epiboly through their role in cadherin-mediated cell-cell adhesion. Biol Cell. 2017;109:210-221 pubmed publisher..These results provide the first in vivo evidence that Flotillins regulate E-cadherin-mediated cell-cell junctions to allow epiboly progression. ..
- Haines L, Neyt C, Gautier P, Keenan D, Bryson Richardson R, Hollway G, et al. Met and Hgf signaling controls hypaxial muscle and lateral line development in the zebrafish. Development. 2004;131:4857-69 pubmed..Furthermore, we demonstrate a requirement for Met signaling in the process of proneuromast deposition from the posterior lateral line primordia. ..
- Takacs C, Giraldez A. miR-430 regulates oriented cell division during neural tube development in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2016;409:442-50 pubmed publisher..We propose that miR-430, independently of canonical apicobasal and planar cell polarity (PCP) pathways, coordinates the stereotypical cell divisions that instruct neural tube morphogenesis. ..
- Kim B, Hancock B, Bermudez A, Del Cid N, Reyes E, van Sorge N, et al. Bacterial induction of Snail1 contributes to blood-brain barrier disruption. J Clin Invest. 2015;125:2473-83 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data support a Snail1-dependent mechanism of BBB disruption and penetration by meningeal pathogens. ..
- Liu Q, Chen Y, Pan J, Murakami T. Expression of protocadherin-9 and protocadherin-17 in the nervous system of the embryonic zebrafish. Gene Expr Patterns. 2009;9:490-6 pubmed publisher..Its expression in the retina and spinal cord was reduced in three-day old embryos. Our results showed that expression of these two protocadherins was both spatially and temporally regulated. ..
- Vannier C, Mock K, Brabletz T, Driever W. Zeb1 regulates E-cadherin and Epcam (epithelial cell adhesion molecule) expression to control cell behavior in early zebrafish development. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:18643-59 pubmed publisher..of epithelial-mesenchymal transitions (EMT) in cancer metastasis, acting through transcriptional repression of CDH1 (encoding E-cadherin) and the EMT-suppressing microRNA-200s (miR-200s)...
- Eroglu B, Min J, Zhang Y, Szurek E, Moskophidis D, Eroglu A, et al. An essential role for heat shock transcription factor binding protein 1 (HSBP1) during early embryonic development. Dev Biol. 2014;386:448-60 pubmed publisher..We conclude that HSBP1 plays an essential role during early mouse and zebrafish embryonic development. ..
- Ma W, Zhang J. Jag1b is essential for patterning inner ear sensory cristae by regulating anterior morphogenetic tissue separation and preventing posterior cell death. Development. 2015;142:763-73 pubmed publisher..Thus, Jag1b uses two distinct mechanisms to form three sensory cristae in zebrafish. ..
- Rodius S, Nazarov P, Nepomuceno Chamorro I, Jeanty C, GonzÃ¡lez Rosa J, Ibberson M, et al. Transcriptional response to cardiac injury in the zebrafish: systematic identification of genes with highly concordant activity across in vivo models. BMC Genomics. 2014;15:852 pubmed publisher..We identified genes with potential critical roles in the response to cardiac damage in the zebrafish. Their transcriptional activities are reproducible in different in vivo models of cardiac injury. ..
- Matsuda H, Parsons M, Leach S. Aldh1-expressing endocrine progenitor cells regulate secondary islet formation in larval zebrafish pancreas. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e74350 pubmed publisher..Together, these findings suggest that Aldh1-expressing cells act as both participants and regulators of endocrine differentiation during zebrafish secondary islet formation. ..
- Poulton L, Nolan K, Anastasaki C, Waldmann H, Patton E. A novel role for Glucocorticoid-Induced TNF Receptor Ligand (Gitrl) in early embryonic zebrafish development. Int J Dev Biol. 2010;54:815-25 pubmed publisher..25-10 hpf). We found Stat3 signalling to be altered in the gitrl-morphants, suggesting that one possible role for Gitrl during embryogenesis may be modulation of Jak/Stat signalling. ..
- Liu Q, Ensign R, Azodi E. Cadherin-1, -2 and -4 expression in the cranial ganglia and lateral line system of developing zebrafish. Gene Expr Patterns. 2003;3:653-8 pubmed