Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: atoh7
Description: atonal bHLH transcription factor 7
Alias: ath5, zath5, protein atonal homolog 7, atonal homolog 5, atonal homolog 7, helix-loop-helix protein zATH-5, lak, lakritz, protein atonal homolog 5, protein lakritz
- Kay J, Roeser T, Mumm J, Godinho L, Mrejeru A, Wong R, et al. Transient requirement for ganglion cells during assembly of retinal synaptic layers. Development. 2004;131:1331-42 pubmed..We found that in the lak/ath5 mutant retina, where ganglion cells are never born, formation of the IPL is delayed, with initial neurite outgrowth ..
- Vetter M, Brown N. The role of basic helix-loop-helix genes in vertebrate retinogenesis. Semin Cell Dev Biol. 2001;12:491-8 pubmed..In this review, we focus on the bHLH factor Ath5, an important regulator of retinal ganglion cell development, and discuss factors that regulate its expression in ..
- Zolessi F, Poggi L, Wilkinson C, Chien C, Harris W. Polarization and orientation of retinal ganglion cells in vivo. Neural Dev. 2006;1:2 pubmed..Mosaic analysis in four dimensions, using mutants in which neuroepithelial polarity is disrupted, indicates that extrinsic factors such as access to the basal lamina are critical for normal axon emergence from RGCs in vivo. ..
- Kay J, Link B, Baier H. Staggered cell-intrinsic timing of ath5 expression underlies the wave of ganglion cell neurogenesis in the zebrafish retina. Development. 2005;132:2573-85 pubmed
- Yao J, Zhou J, Liu Q, Lu D, Wang L, Qiao X, et al. Atoh8, a bHLH transcription factor, is required for the development of retina and skeletal muscle in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e10945 pubmed publisher..Our results show that Atoh8 is an important regulator for the development of both the retina and skeletal muscles necessary for neural retinal cell and myogenic differentiation during zebrafish embryogenesis. ..
- Poggi L, Vitorino M, Masai I, Harris W. Influences on neural lineage and mode of division in the zebrafish retina in vivo. J Cell Biol. 2005;171:991-9 pubmed..were used to trace lineages of retinal progenitors expressing green fluorescent protein under the control of the ath5 promoter...
- Choy S, Cheng C, Lee S, Li V, Hui M, Hui C, et al. A cascade of irx1a and irx2a controls shh expression during retinogenesis. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:3204-14 pubmed publisher..The expression of irx2a in retina ganglion cells was shown to be irx1a- and ath5-dependent suggesting that irx1a and ath5 are transcriptional regulators of irx2a...
- Sherpa T, Fimbel S, Mallory D, Maaswinkel H, Spritzer S, Sand J, et al. Ganglion cell regeneration following whole-retina destruction in zebrafish. Dev Neurobiol. 2008;68:166-81 pubmed..This model system for whole-retina regeneration has provided an informative view of the regenerative process. ..
- Pittman A, Law M, Chien C. Pathfinding in a large vertebrate axon tract: isotypic interactions guide retinotectal axons at multiple choice points. Development. 2008;135:2865-71 pubmed publisher..We conclude that axon-axon interactions and ligand-receptor signaling have co-equal roles, cooperating to ensure the fidelity of axon guidance in developing vertebrate tracts. ..
- Di Donato V, De Santis F, Auer T, Testa N, SÃ¡nchez Iranzo H, Mercader N, et al. 2C-Cas9: a versatile tool for clonal analysis of gene function. Genome Res. 2016;26:681-92 pubmed publisher..Our technique has the potential to be applied to diverse model organisms, enabling tissue-specific loss-of-function and phenotypic characterization of live and fixed tissues. ..
- Sapetto Rebow B, McLoughlin S, O Shea L, O Leary O, Willer J, Alvarez Y, et al. Maternal topoisomerase II alpha, not topoisomerase II beta, enables embryonic development of zebrafish top2a-/- mutants. BMC Dev Biol. 2011;11:71 pubmed publisher..We conclude that maternal top2a enables zebrafish development before the mid-zygotic transition (MZT) and that zebrafish top2a and top2b are not functionally redundant during development after activation of the zygotic genome. ..
- Fernandes A, Fero K, Arrenberg A, Bergeron S, Driever W, Burgess H. Deep brain photoreceptors control light-seeking behavior in zebrafish larvae. Curr Biol. 2012;22:2042-7 pubmed publisher..Our findings shed light on the identity and function of deep brain photoreceptors and suggest that otpa specifies an ancient population of sensory neurons that mediate behavioral responses to light. ..
- Stephens W, Senecal M, Nguyen M, Piotrowski T. Loss of adenomatous polyposis coli (apc) results in an expanded ciliary marginal zone in the zebrafish eye. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:2066-77 pubmed publisher..to an expansion of the CMZ accompanied by a central shift of the retinal identity gene sox2 and the proneural gene atoh7. This suggests an important role for peripheral Wnt/beta-catenin signaling in regulating the expression and ..
- Stenkamp D, Frey R. Extraretinal and retinal hedgehog signaling sequentially regulate retinal differentiation in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2003;258:349-63 pubmed..We also find that Hh signals from ganglion cells participate in propagating expression of ath5, and we suggest that the effects of Hh signals from the retinal pigmented epithelium on photoreceptor ..
- Dhakal S, Stevens C, Sebbagh M, Weiss O, Frey R, Adamson S, et al. Abnormal retinal development in Cloche mutant zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2015;244:1439-1455 pubmed publisher..The disorganized retinal phenotype of clo-/- embryos is consistent with a neural and glial developmental patterning role for the early ocular vasculature that is independent of its eventual function in gas exchange. ..
- Seth A, Machingo Q, Fritz A, Shur B. Core fucosylation is required for midline patterning during zebrafish development. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:3380-90 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, preliminary studies suggest that ApoB facilitates Sonic hedgehog signaling during zebrafish development, analogous to the function of lipoprotein particles during hedgehog signaling in Drosophila. ..
- Lin C, Huang H, Lu P, Lin C, Lu K, Tsai H. Ras-Related Nuclear Protein is required for late developmental stages of retinal cells in zebrafish eyes. Int J Dev Biol. 2015;59:435-42 pubmed publisher..We also observed a decrease in the retinal neuron proteins HuC and Neurolin. The proneural gene ath5, which first determines the cell fate of the developing ganglion cell layer, was undetectable...
- Sedykh I, Yoon B, Roberson L, Moskvin O, Dewey C, Grinblat Y. Zebrafish zic2 controls formation of periocular neural crest and choroid fissure morphogenesis. Dev Biol. 2017;429:92-104 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these data establish zic2 mutant zebrafish as a powerful new genetic model for in-depth dissection of cell interactions and genetic controls during craniofacial complex development. ..
- Loosli F, Staub W, Finger Baier K, Ober E, Verkade H, Wittbrodt J, et al. Loss of eyes in zebrafish caused by mutation of chokh/rx3. EMBO Rep. 2003;4:894-9 pubmed..Thus, these mutations in orthologous genes allow us to study the evolution of vertebrate eye development at the molecular level. ..
- Flasse L, Pirson J, Stern D, Von Berg V, Manfroid I, Peers B, et al. Ascl1b and Neurod1, instead of Neurog3, control pancreatic endocrine cell fate in zebrafish. BMC Biol. 2013;11:78 pubmed publisher..It is repressed by Notch signaling that prevents pancreatic cell differentiation by maintaining precursors in an undifferentiated state...
- Ryu S, Driever W. Minichromosome maintenance proteins as markers for proliferation zones during embryogenesis. Cell Cycle. 2006;5:1140-2 pubmed
- Serifi I, Tzima E, Soupsana K, Karetsou Z, Beis D, Papamarcaki T. The zebrafish homologs of SET/I2PP2A oncoprotein: expression patterns and insights into their physiological roles during development. Biochem J. 2016;473:4609-4627 pubmed..Collectively, our results suggest that seta and setb are required during embryogenesis and play roles in the zebrafish sensory system development. ..
- Sumbre G, Muto A, Baier H, Poo M. Entrained rhythmic activities of neuronal ensembles as perceptual memory of time interval. Nature. 2008;456:102-6 pubmed publisher..Thus, rhythmic activities among specific neuronal ensembles may act as an adjustable 'metronome' for time intervals in the order of seconds, and serve as a mechanism for the short-term perceptual memory of rhythmic sensory experience. ..
- Del Bene F, Wehman A, Link B, Baier H. Regulation of neurogenesis by interkinetic nuclear migration through an apical-basal notch gradient. Cell. 2008;134:1055-65 pubmed publisher..Our data indicate that the function of INM is to balance the exposure of progenitor nuclei to neurogenic versus proliferative signals. ..
- Carreño H, Santos Ledo A, Velasco A, Lara J, Aijón J, Arevalo R. Effects of retinoic acid exposure during zebrafish retinogenesis. Neurotoxicol Teratol. 2013;40:35-45 pubmed publisher..Moreover although the optic axons leave the retina and form the optic chiasm they do not reach the optic tectum. The alterations observed in treated animals become more severe as larvae develop. ..
- Sanek N, Taylor A, Nyholm M, Grinblat Y. Zebrafish zic2a patterns the forebrain through modulation of Hedgehog-activated gene expression. Development. 2009;136:3791-800 pubmed publisher..These data uncover a novel, essential role for Zic2a as a modulator of Hh-activated gene expression in the developing forebrain and advance our understanding of a key gene regulatory network that, when disrupted, causes HPE. ..
- Muto A, Arai K, Watanabe S. Rab11-FIP4 is predominantly expressed in neural tissues and involved in proliferation as well as in differentiation during zebrafish retinal development. Dev Biol. 2006;292:90-102 pubmed
- Tyurina O, Guner B, Popova E, Feng J, Schier A, Kohtz J, et al. Zebrafish Gli3 functions as both an activator and a repressor in Hedgehog signaling. Dev Biol. 2005;277:537-56 pubmed..In the eye, Gli3 is also required for proper ath5 expression and the differentiation of retinal ganglion cells (RGCs)...
- Maddison L, Lu J, Victoroff T, Scott E, Baier H, Chen W. A gain-of-function screen in zebrafish identifies a guanylate cyclase with a role in neuronal degeneration. Mol Genet Genomics. 2009;281:551-63 pubmed publisher..From this study, we propose that this gain-of-function approach can be applied to large-scale genetic screens in a vertebrate model organism and may reveal previously unknown gene function. ..
- Wong G, Baudet M, Norden C, Leung L, Harris W. Slit1b-Robo3 signaling and N-cadherin regulate apical process retraction in developing retinal ganglion cells. J Neurosci. 2012;32:223-8 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that Slit-Robo signaling downregulates N-cadherin activity to allow apical retraction in newly generated RGCs. ..
- Kreiling J, Creton R, Reinisch C. Early embryonic exposure to polychlorinated biphenyls disrupts heat-shock protein 70 cognate expression in zebrafish. J Toxicol Environ Health A. 2007;70:1005-13 pubmed..The structural and biochemical changes in the developing central nervous system following early embryonic exposure to Aroclor 1254 may lead to alterations in the function of the affected regions. ..
- Stadler J, Shkumatava A, Neumann C. The role of hedgehog signaling in the development of the zebrafish visual system. Dev Neurosci. 2004;26:346-51 pubmed
- Matsuda N, Mishina M. Identification of chaperonin CCT gamma subunit as a determinant of retinotectal development by whole-genome subtraction cloning from zebrafish no tectal neuron mutant. Development. 2004;131:1913-25 pubmed..The expression patterns of transcription factor genes ath5 and brn3b that are essential for the development and maintenance of RGCs were indistinguishable between wild-type ..
- Nadauld L, Chidester S, Shelton D, Rai K, Broadbent T, Sandoval I, et al. Dual roles for adenomatous polyposis coli in regulating retinoic acid biosynthesis and Wnt during ocular development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:13409-14 pubmed
- Paolini A, Duchemin A, Albadri S, Patzel E, Bornhorst D, GonzÃ¡lez Avalos P, et al. Asymmetric inheritance of the apical domain and self-renewal of retinal ganglion cell progenitors depend on Anillin function. Development. 2015;142:832-9 pubmed publisher..It also provides insights into a reciprocal regulation between Anillin and the ganglion cell fate determinant Ath5, suggesting a mechanism whereby the balance of proliferation and differentiation is accomplished during progenitor ..
- Diekmann H, Stuermer C. Zebrafish neurolin-a and -b, orthologs of ALCAM, are involved in retinal ganglion cell differentiation and retinal axon pathfinding. J Comp Neurol. 2009;513:38-50 pubmed publisher..Without Neurolin-b, RGC axons grow in highly aberrant routes along the optic tract and/or fail to reach the optic tectum. Thus, the zebrafish Neurolin paralogs are involved in distinct steps of retinotectal development. ..
- Kashyap B, Frederickson L, Stenkamp D. Mechanisms for persistent microphthalmia following ethanol exposure during retinal neurogenesis in zebrafish embryos. Vis Neurosci. 2007;24:409-21 pubmed..We conclude that ethanol exposure over the time of retinal neurogenesis resulted in persistent microphthalmia due to a combination of an overall developmental delay, lens abnormalities, and reduced retinal cell differentiation. ..
- Del Bene F, Wyart C, Robles E, Tran A, Looger L, Scott E, et al. Filtering of visual information in the tectum by an identified neural circuit. Science. 2010;330:669-73 pubmed publisher..Photo-ablation of these cells with KillerRed, or silencing of their synaptic transmission, eliminates the size tuning of deeper layers and impairs the capture of prey...
- Fimbel S, Montgomery J, Burket C, Hyde D. Regeneration of inner retinal neurons after intravitreal injection of ouabain in zebrafish. J Neurosci. 2007;27:1712-24 pubmed..By 7 dpi, the neuronal progenitors began committing to the ganglion cell fate based on the coexpression of the atoh7:EGFP transgene and the zn5 antigen...
- Zhang Y, Yang Y, Trujillo C, Zhong W, Leung Y. The expression of irx7 in the inner nuclear layer of zebrafish retina is essential for a proper retinal development and lamination. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e36145 pubmed publisher..Since the expression of known TFs that can specify specific retinal cell type was also altered in Irx7-deficient retinas, thus the irx7 gene network is possibly a novel regulatory circuit for retinal development and lamination. ..
- Stenkamp D, Frey R, Mallory D, Shupe E. Embryonic retinal gene expression in sonic-you mutant zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2002;225:344-50 pubmed..We also find that Hh signaling is important for retinal cell proliferation and retinal cell survival; together, these functions provide an explanation for progressive microphthalmia in the syu-/- mutant. ..
- Sandoval I, Manos E, Van Wagoner R, Delacruz R, Edes K, Winge D, et al. Juxtaposition of chemical and mutation-induced developmental defects in zebrafish reveal a copper-chelating activity for kalihinol F. Chem Biol. 2013;20:753-63 pubmed publisher..Our data support this mechanism of action for kalihinol F and the utility of zebrafish as an effective system for identifying therapeutic and target pathways. ..
- Luo J, Uribe R, Hayton S, Calinescu A, Gross J, Hitchcock P. Midkine-A functions upstream of Id2a to regulate cell cycle kinetics in the developing vertebrate retina. Neural Dev. 2012;7:33 pubmed publisher..This is the first study to demonstrate the function of Midkine during retinal development and adds Midkine to the list of growth factors that transcriptionally regulate Id proteins. ..
- Randlett O, MacDonald R, Yoshimatsu T, Almeida A, Suzuki S, WONG R, et al. Cellular requirements for building a retinal neuropil. Cell Rep. 2013;3:282-90 pubmed publisher..Previous studies have shown that an IPL can form in the complete absence of BCs; therefore, we conclude that neither presynaptic nor postsynaptic processes are individually essential for the formation of this synaptic neuropil. ..
- Jusuf P, Albadri S, Paolini A, Currie P, Argenton F, Higashijima S, et al. Biasing amacrine subtypes in the Atoh7 lineage through expression of Barhl2. J Neurosci. 2012;32:13929-44 pubmed publisher..cells (ACs) tend to arise from progenitors expressing the basic helix-loop-helix (bHLH) transcription factor, Atoh7, which is necessary for the early generation of retinal ganglion cells (RGCs)...
- Stigloher C, Ninkovic J, Laplante M, Geling A, Tannhäuser B, Topp S, et al. Segregation of telencephalic and eye-field identities inside the zebrafish forebrain territory is controlled by Rx3. Development. 2006;133:2925-35 pubmed..These results suggest that the process segregating the telencephalic and eye fields is isolated from diencephalic patterning, and is mediated by Rx3. ..
- Mirat O, Sternberg J, Severi K, Wyart C. ZebraZoom: an automated program for high-throughput behavioral analysis and categorization. Front Neural Circuits. 2013;7:107 pubmed publisher..The analysis of the blind mutant atoh7 revealed small locomotor defects associated with the mutation...
- Olsen J, Wong L, Deimling S, Miles A, Guo H, Li Y, et al. G9a and ZNF644 Physically Associate to Suppress Progenitor Gene Expression during Neurogenesis. Stem Cell Reports. 2016;7:454-470 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our data point to ZNF644 as a critical co-regulator of G9a/H3K9me2-mediated gene silencing during neuronal differentiation. ..
- Wang Y, He Z, Fang Y, Xu Y, Chen Y, Wang G, et al. Effect of titanium dioxide nanoparticles on zebrafish embryos and developing retina. Int J Ophthalmol. 2014;7:917-23 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate that short-term exposure to TiO2 NPs at a low dose does not lead to delayed embryonic development or retinal neurotoxicity. ..
- Yamaguchi M, Tonou Fujimori N, Komori A, Maeda R, Nojima Y, Li H, et al. Histone deacetylase 1 regulates retinal neurogenesis in zebrafish by suppressing Wnt and Notch signaling pathways. Development. 2005;132:3027-43 pubmed..Taken together, these data suggest that Hdac1 functions as a dual switch that suppresses both cell-cycle progression and inhibition of neurogenesis in the zebrafish retina. ..
- Lei X, Sun Y, Cai S, Fang Y, Cui J, Li Y. Role of tumor necrosis factor-alpha in zebrafish retinal neurogenesis and myelination. Int J Ophthalmol. 2016;9:831-7 pubmed publisher..An atonal homolog 7 (atoh7) mRNA probe was used to detect neurogenesis onset...
- Butts T, Modrell M, Baker C, Wingate R. The evolution of the vertebrate cerebellum: absence of a proliferative external granule layer in a non-teleost ray-finned fish. Evol Dev. 2014;16:92-100 pubmed publisher..The distribution of proliferative granule cell precursors in different vertebrate taxa is thus the likely determining factor in cerebellar morphological diversity. ..
- Imai F, Yoshizawa A, Matsuzaki A, Oguri E, Araragi M, Nishiwaki Y, et al. Stem-loop binding protein is required for retinal cell proliferation, neurogenesis, and intraretinal axon pathfinding in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2014;394:94-109 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data indicate important roles of SLBP in retinal development. ..
- Li W, Zhou L, Li Z, Wang Y, Shi J, Yang Y, et al. Zebrafish Lbh-like Is Required for Otx2-mediated Photoreceptor Differentiation. Int J Biol Sci. 2015;11:688-700 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, knockdown of lbh-like increases the activity of Notch pathway and perturbs the balance among proliferation, differentiation and survival of photoreceptor precursors. ..
- Adolf B, Bellipanni G, Huber V, Bally Cuif L. atoh1.2 and beta3.1 are two new bHLH-encoding genes expressed in selective precursor cells of the zebrafish anterior hindbrain. Gene Expr Patterns. 2004;5:35-41 pubmed..In this territory we demonstrate that atoh1.2 and beta3.1 are transcribed in distinct precursors, further highlighting the subdivision of anterior zebrafish hindbrain into subdomains of bHLH expression. ..
- Liu I, Zhang C, Kim M, Cole G. Retina development in zebrafish requires the heparan sulfate proteoglycan agrin. Dev Neurobiol. 2008;68:877-98 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these agrin morphant phenotypes provide support for a crucial role of agrin in retina development and formation of an ordered retinotectal topographic map in the optic tectum of zebrafish. ..
- Brown N, Dagenais S, Chen C, Glaser T. Molecular characterization and mapping of ATOH7, a human atonal homolog with a predicted role in retinal ganglion cell development. Mamm Genome. 2002;13:95-101 pubmedThe human ATOH7 gene encodes a basic helix-loop-helix (bHLH) transcription factor that is highly similar to Drosophila Atonal within the conserved bHLH domain. The ATOH7 coding region is contained within a single exon...
- Paridaen J, Janson E, Utami K, Pereboom T, Essers P, van Rooijen C, et al. The nucleolar GTP-binding proteins Gnl2 and nucleostemin are required for retinal neurogenesis in developing zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2011;355:286-301 pubmed publisher..Finally, the data suggest that Gnl2 and NS affect cell cycle exit of neural progenitors by regulating the expression of cell cycle regulators independently of p53. ..
- Forbes Osborne M, Wilson S, Morris A. Insulinoma-associated 1a (Insm1a) is required for photoreceptor differentiation in the zebrafish retina. Dev Biol. 2013;380:157-71 pubmed publisher..regulates cell cycle progression of retinoblasts, and functions upstream of the bHLH transcription factors ath5/atoh7 and neurod, and the photoreceptor specification genes crx and nr2e3...
- Valdivia L, Lamb D, Horner W, Wierzbicki C, Tafessu A, Williams A, et al. Antagonism between Gdf6a and retinoic acid pathways controls timing of retinal neurogenesis and growth of the eye in zebrafish. Development. 2016;143:1087-98 pubmed publisher..Together, our results support a model in which dorsally expressed gdf6a limits RA pathway activity to control the transition from proliferation to differentiation in the growing eye. ..
- Nevin L, Xiao T, Staub W, Baier H. Topoisomerase IIbeta is required for lamina-specific targeting of retinal ganglion cell axons and dendrites. Development. 2011;138:2457-65 pubmed publisher..The noto mutant provides the first example of the importance of an epigenetic regulator, Top2b, in the intricate series of events that lead to a properly wired visual system. ..
- Ryu S, Holzschuh J, Erhardt S, Ettl A, Driever W. Depletion of minichromosome maintenance protein 5 in the zebrafish retina causes cell-cycle defect and apoptosis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:18467-72 pubmed
- Willardsen M, Suli A, Pan Y, Marsh Armstrong N, Chien C, El Hodiri H, et al. Temporal regulation of Ath5 gene expression during eye development. Dev Biol. 2009;326:471-81 pubmed publisher..In the developing retina, the expression of the bHLH factor Ath5 is controlled by multiple signals in early retinal progenitors, although less is known about how these signals are ..
- Chow E, Hui M, Cheng C, Cheng S. Cadmium affects retinogenesis during zebrafish embryonic development. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2009;235:68-76 pubmed publisher..Our data suggested that impairment in neuronal differentiation of the retina, disruption in RGC axon formation and absence of cone photoreceptors were the causes of microphthalmia and visual impairment in cadmium-treated embryos. ..