Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: atoh1a
Description: atonal bHLH transcription factor 1a
Alias: Atoh1.1, ZATH-1, Zath1a, ath1, atoh1, zath1, zgc:136417, protein atonal homolog 1, atonal homolog 1a
- Go W, Bessarab D, Korzh V. atp2b1a regulates Ca(2+) export during differentiation and regeneration of mechanosensory hair cells in zebrafish. Cell Calcium. 2010;48:302-13 pubmed publisher..Under the control of a master gene of hair cells, Atoh1a, Atp2b1a functions during progenitor cell proliferation and hair cell differentiation...
- Wada H, Ghysen A, Asakawa K, Abe G, Ishitani T, Kawakami K. Wnt/Dkk negative feedback regulates sensory organ size in zebrafish. Curr Biol. 2013;23:1559-65 pubmed publisher..This study establishes Wnt/Dkk as a novel mechanism to determine the final size of an organ. ..
- Chen X, Lou Q, He J, Yin Z. Role of zebrafish lbx2 in embryonic lateral line development. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e29515 pubmed publisher..In addition, the disassociation of PPL nerve extension with PLL primordial migration in some lbx2 morphants suggests that pathfinding of the PLL primordium and the lateral line nerve may be regulated independently. ..
- Loh S, Teh C, Müller J, Guccione E, Hong W, Korzh V. Zebrafish yap1 plays a role in differentiation of hair cells in posterior lateral line. Sci Rep. 2014;4:4289 pubmed publisher..Our studies revealed a role of Yap1 in regulation of Wnt signaling pathway and its target Prox1a during differentiation of mechanosensory cells. ..
- Sarrazin A, Villablanca E, Nuñez V, Sandoval P, Ghysen A, Allende M. Proneural gene requirement for hair cell differentiation in the zebrafish lateral line. Dev Biol. 2006;295:534-45 pubmed..two proneural genes are essential for differentiation of the hair cells, neuroD (nrd) and atonal homolog 1 (ath1)...
- Köster R, Fraser S. FGF signaling mediates regeneration of the differentiating cerebellum through repatterning of the anterior hindbrain and reinitiation of neuronal migration. J Neurosci. 2006;26:7293-304 pubmed..Moreover, the regenerating system offers a means to uncouple cerebellar differentiation from complex morphogenetic tissue rearrangements. ..
- Bae Y, Shimizu T, Hibi M. Patterning of proneuronal and inter-proneuronal domains by hairy- and enhancer of split-related genes in zebrafish neuroectoderm. Development. 2005;132:1375-85 pubmed..These data indicate that her3 and her9 function as prepattern genes that link the positional dorsoventral polarity information in the posterior neuroectoderm to the spatial regulation of neurogenesis. ..
- Jászai J, Reifers F, Picker A, Langenberg T, Brand M. Isthmus-to-midbrain transformation in the absence of midbrain-hindbrain organizer activity. Development. 2003;130:6611-23 pubmed..profile during early somitogenesis, followed by the lack of early and late cerebellar-specific gene expression (zath1/atoh1, gap43, tag1/cntn2, neurod, zebrin II)...
- Nechiporuk A, Raible D. FGF-dependent mechanosensory organ patterning in zebrafish. Science. 2008;320:1774-7 pubmed publisher..The pLL primordium is organized into polarized rosettes representing proto-neuromasts, each with a central atoh1a-positive focus of mechanosensory precursors...
- Laguerre L, Soubiran F, Ghysen A, Konig N, Dambly Chaudiere C. Cell proliferation in the developing lateral line system of zebrafish embryos. Dev Dyn. 2005;233:466-72 pubmed..The third period of proliferation corresponds to continued renewal of hair cells by division of support cells within each sensory organ. ..
- Matsuda M, Nogare D, Somers K, Martin K, Wang C, Chitnis A. Lef1 regulates Dusp6 to influence neuromast formation and spacing in the zebrafish posterior lateral line primordium. Development. 2013;140:2387-97 pubmed publisher..This is associated with progressively slower PLLp migration, reduced spacing between deposited neuromasts and premature termination of the PLLp system. ..
- Shen Y, Jeyabalan A, Wu K, Hunker K, Kohrman D, Thompson D, et al. The transmembrane inner ear (tmie) gene contributes to vestibular and lateral line development and function in the zebrafish (Danio rerio). Dev Dyn. 2008;237:941-52 pubmed publisher..As in the mouse, tmie appears to be required for inner ear development and function in the zebrafish and for hair cell maturation in the vestibular and lateral line systems as well. ..
- Lecaudey V, Cakan Akdogan G, Norton W, Gilmour D. Dynamic Fgf signaling couples morphogenesis and migration in the zebrafish lateral line primordium. Development. 2008;135:2695-705 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, this work uncovers a surprising link between internal tissue organization and collective migration. ..
- Sweet E, Vemaraju S, Riley B. Sox2 and Fgf interact with Atoh1 to promote sensory competence throughout the zebrafish inner ear. Dev Biol. 2011;358:113-21 pubmed publisher..understand the developmental factors influencing sensory-competence, we examined the effects of misexpressing atoh1a in zebrafish embryos under various developmental conditions...
- Radosevic M, Robert Moreno A, Coolen M, Bally Cuif L, Alsina B. Her9 represses neurogenic fate downstream of Tbx1 and retinoic acid signaling in the inner ear. Development. 2011;138:397-408 pubmed publisher..These findings permit modeling of the complex genetic cascade that underlies neural patterning of the otic vesicle. ..
- Butts T, Modrell M, Baker C, Wingate R. The evolution of the vertebrate cerebellum: absence of a proliferative external granule layer in a non-teleost ray-finned fish. Evol Dev. 2014;16:92-100 pubmed publisher..We also suggest that the Atoh1-positive proliferative valvular primordium may represent a synapomorphy (shared derived character) of ray-finned ..
- Serifi I, Tzima E, Soupsana K, Karetsou Z, Beis D, Papamarcaki T. The zebrafish homologs of SET/I2PP2A oncoprotein: expression patterns and insights into their physiological roles during development. Biochem J. 2016;473:4609-4627 pubmed..Collectively, our results suggest that seta and setb are required during embryogenesis and play roles in the zebrafish sensory system development. ..
- Elsen G, Choi L, Prince V, Ho R. The autism susceptibility gene met regulates zebrafish cerebellar development and facial motor neuron migration. Dev Biol. 2009;335:78-92 pubmed publisher..These functions may underlie the correlation between altered MET regulation and autism spectrum disorders. ..
- Gibert Y, Sassi Messai S, Fini J, Bernard L, Zalko D, Cravedi J, et al. Bisphenol A induces otolith malformations during vertebrate embryogenesis. BMC Dev Biol. 2011;11:4 pubmed publisher..The data suggest that the spectrum of BPA action is wider than previously expected and argue for a systematic survey of the developmental effects of this endocrine disruptor. ..
- Gibert Y, McMillan D, Kayes Wandover K, Meyer A, Begemann G, White P. Analysis of the very large G-protein coupled receptor gene (Vlgr1/Mass1/USH2C) in zebrafish. Gene. 2005;353:200-6 pubmed..Expression in the eye is associated with the optic nerve. Further studies using zebrafish may help ascertain the role of Vlgr1 in neural development. ..
- Schuck J, Sun H, Penberthy W, Cooper N, Li X, Smith M. Transcriptomic analysis of the zebrafish inner ear points to growth hormone mediated regeneration following acoustic trauma. BMC Neurosci. 2011;12:88 pubmed publisher..GH injection increased cell proliferation in the inner ear of non-sound-exposed zebrafish, suggesting that GH could play an important role in sensory hair cell regeneration in the teleost ear. ..
- Lee S, Huang M, Obholzer N, Sun S, Li W, Petrillo M, et al. Myc and Fgf Are Required for Zebrafish Neuromast Hair Cell Regeneration. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0157768 pubmed publisher..Manipulation of c-MYC and FGF pathways could be explored for mammalian hair cell regeneration. ..
- Millimaki B, Sweet E, Riley B. Sox2 is required for maintenance and regeneration, but not initial development, of hair cells in the zebrafish inner ear. Dev Biol. 2010;338:262-9 pubmed publisher..Expression of sox2 begins after the onset of sensory epithelium development and is regulated by Atoh1a/b, Fgf and Notch...
- Foucher I, Mione M, Simeone A, Acampora D, Bally Cuif L, Houart C. Differentiation of cerebellar cell identities in absence of Fgf signalling in zebrafish Otx morphants. Development. 2006;133:1891-900 pubmed..This maintenance is enough to allow cerebellar differentiation. ..
- Tang C, Lai Y, Chen Y, Li C, Lu Y, Chen H, et al. Expression of zebrafish anterior gradient 2 in the semicircular canals and supporting cells of otic vesicle sensory patches is regulated by Sox10. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2014;1839:425-37 pubmed publisher..6 to -2.5 kbp region upstream of agr2. These results demonstrate that agr2 expression in the otic vesicles of zebrafish embryos is regulated by Sox10. ..
- Shimoda N, Hirose K, Kaneto R, Izawa T, Yokoi H, Hashimoto N, et al. No evidence for AID/MBD4-coupled DNA demethylation in zebrafish embryos. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e114816 pubmed publisher..Taken together, we concluded that there is currently no evidence to support the proposed roles of AID and MBD4 in active demethylation in zebrafish embryos. ..
- Elsen G, Choi L, Millen K, Grinblat Y, Prince V. Zic1 and Zic4 regulate zebrafish roof plate specification and hindbrain ventricle morphogenesis. Dev Biol. 2008;314:376-92 pubmed publisher..In summary, we conclude that Zic1 and Zic4 control zebrafish 4th ventricle morphogenesis by regulating multiple mechanisms including cell proliferation and fate specification in the dorsal hindbrain. ..
- Su C, Kemp H, Moens C. Cerebellar development in the absence of Gbx function in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2014;386:181-90 pubmed publisher..Based on our findings we propose a revised model for the role of Gbx in cerebellar development. ..
- Wang J, Wu Y, Zhao F, Wu Y, Dong W, Zhao J, et al. Fgf-signaling-dependent Sox9a and Atoh1a regulate otic neural development in zebrafish. J Neurosci. 2015;35:234-44 pubmed publisher..Fgfr-PI3K/Akt signaling is mainly responsible for zebrafish SAG development and have determined that Sox9a and Atoh1a act downstream of Fgfr-Akt signaling to specify and/or maintain the otic neuron fate during the early segmentation ..
- Radosevic M, Fargas L, Alsina B. The role of her4 in inner ear development and its relationship with proneural genes and Notch signalling. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e109860 pubmed publisher..At later stages her4 expression becomes Notch-dependent in the future sensory domains but loss of her4 does not result in hair cell overproduction, suggesting that there other her genes can compensate its function. ..
- Schwarzer S, Spieß S, Brand M, Hans S. Dlx3b/4b is required for early-born but not later-forming sensory hair cells during zebrafish inner ear development. Biol Open. 2017;6:1270-1278 pubmed publisher..in zebrafish, resembling the order of cell specification in amniotes; Neurog1 expression before Atoh1 expression...
- Rubbini D, Robert Moreno Ã, Hoijman E, Alsina B. Retinoic Acid Signaling Mediates Hair Cell Regeneration by Repressing p27kip and sox2 in Supporting Cells. J Neurosci. 2015;35:15752-66 pubmed publisher..Our results position RA as an essential signal for hair cell regeneration with relevance in future regenerative strategies in mammals. ..
- Brown N, Dagenais S, Chen C, Glaser T. Molecular characterization and mapping of ATOH7, a human atonal homolog with a predicted role in retinal ganglion cell development. Mamm Genome. 2002;13:95-101 pubmed..A direct comparison of ATH5/7 and ATH1 protein subgroups to Atonal also revealed a nonrandom distribution of amino acid changes across the bHLH domain, ..
- Villablanca E, Renucci A, Sapede D, Lec V, Soubiran F, Sandoval P, et al. Control of cell migration in the zebrafish lateral line: implication of the gene "tumour-associated calcium signal transducer," tacstd. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:1578-88 pubmed..Inactivation of the zebrafish tacstd gene results in a decrease in proneuromast deposition, suggesting that tacstd is required for the deposition process. ..
- Lecaudey V, Ulloa E, Anselme I, Stedman A, Schneider Maunoury S, Pujades C. Role of the hindbrain in patterning the otic vesicle: a study of the zebrafish vhnf1 mutant. Dev Biol. 2007;303:134-43 pubmed..They suggest that, despite the evolution of inner ear structure and function, some of the mechanisms underlying the regionalisation of the otic vesicle in fish and amniotes have been conserved. ..
- Sapede D, Rossel M, Dambly Chaudiere C, Ghysen A. Role of SDF1 chemokine in the development of lateral line efferent and facial motor neurons. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:1714-8 pubmed..We propose that SDF1/CXCR4-mediated cell migration is preferentially associated with movement along the anteroposterior axis of the animal. ..
- Xing C, Gong B, Xue Y, Han Y, Wang Y, Meng A, et al. TGFÎ²1a regulates zebrafish posterior lateral line formation via Smad5 mediated pathway. J Mol Cell Biol. 2015;7:48-61 pubmed publisher..The aberrant morphogenesis in embryos depleted of tgfÎ²1a correlates with the reduced expression of atoh1a, deltaA, and n-cadherin/cdh2, which are known important regulators of the pLLP morphogenesis...
- Mizoguchi T, Togawa S, Kawakami K, Itoh M. Neuron and sensory epithelial cell fate is sequentially determined by Notch signaling in zebrafish lateral line development. J Neurosci. 2011;31:15522-30 pubmed publisher..Since Notch signaling also affects hair cell fate determination at a later stage, our study suggests that Notch signaling has dual, time-dependent roles in specifying multiple cell types during pLL development. ..
- Liang J, Wang D, Renaud G, Wolfsberg T, Wilson A, Burgess S. The stat3/socs3a pathway is a key regulator of hair cell regeneration in zebrafish. [corrected]. J Neurosci. 2012;32:10662-73 pubmed publisher..2008; Zhu et al., 2008; Qin et al., 2009), we propose that the stat3/socs3 pathway is a key response in all tissue regeneration and thus an important therapeutic target for a broad application in tissue repair and injury healing. ..
- Fernandez J, Fuentes R. Fixation/permeabilization: new alternative procedure for immunofluorescence and mRNA in situ hybridization of vertebrate and invertebrate embryos. Dev Dyn. 2013;242:503-17 pubmed publisher..It is hypothesized that short C-chain aliphatic carboxylic acids modulate the cross-linking effect of aldehyde fixatives on cell proteins. ..
- Gasanov E, Rafieva L, Korzh V. BDNF-TrkB axis regulates migration of the lateral line primordium and modulates the maintenance of mechanoreceptor progenitors. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0119711 pubmed publisher..In particular, BDNF-TrkB influences the expression level of components of chemokine signaling including Cxcr4b, and the generation of progenitors of mechanoreceptors, at the level of expression of Atoh1a-Atp2b1a.
- Lush M, Piotrowski T. ErbB expressing Schwann cells control lateral line progenitor cells via non-cell-autonomous regulation of Wnt/?-catenin. elife. 2014;3:e01832 pubmed publisher..DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.7554/eLife.01832.001. ..
- Flasse L, Pirson J, Stern D, Von Berg V, Manfroid I, Peers B, et al. Ascl1b and Neurod1, instead of Neurog3, control pancreatic endocrine cell fate in zebrafish. BMC Biol. 2013;11:78 pubmed publisher..It is repressed by Notch signaling that prevents pancreatic cell differentiation by maintaining precursors in an undifferentiated state...
- Sassa T, Aizawa H, Okamoto H. Visualization of two distinct classes of neurons by gad2 and zic1 promoter/enhancer elements in the dorsal hindbrain of developing zebrafish reveals neuronal connectivity related to the auditory and lateral line systems. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:706-18 pubmed..2) neurons that express the zn-5 antigen and Lhx2/9 and require the basic helix-loop-helix transcription factor Atoh1a for development...
- He Y, Tang D, Cai C, Chai R, Li H. LSD1 is Required for Hair Cell Regeneration in Zebrafish. Mol Neurobiol. 2016;53:2421-34 pubmed publisher..Thus, LSD1 plays a critical role in hair cell regeneration and might represent a novel biomarker and potential therapeutic approach for the treatment of hearing loss. ..
- He Y, Tang D, Li W, Chai R, Li H. Histone deacetylase 1 is required for the development of the zebrafish inner ear. Sci Rep. 2016;6:16535 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results indicate that HDAC1 plays an important role in otic vesicle formation. ..
- Hernandez P, Olivari F, Sarrazin A, Sandoval P, Allende M. Regeneration in zebrafish lateral line neuromasts: expression of the neural progenitor cell marker sox2 and proliferation-dependent and-independent mechanisms of hair cell renewal. Dev Neurobiol. 2007;67:637-54 pubmed..Thus, our results describe the dynamics of hair cell regeneration in zebrafish and suggest the existence of at least two mechanisms for recovery of these cells in neuromasts. ..
- Han H, Chou C, Chu C, Cheng C, Yang C, Hung C, et al. The Nogo-C2/Nogo receptor complex regulates the morphogenesis of zebrafish lateral line primordium through modulating the expression of dkk1b, a Wnt signal inhibitor. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e86345 pubmed publisher..We thus suggest that a novel Nogo-C2 complex, consisting of Nogo-C2, NgRH1a, p75, and TROY, regulates Fgf signaling and dkk1b expression, thereby ensuring stable organization of the PLL primordium. ..
- Ariza Cosano A, Bensimon Brito A, Gomez Skarmeta J, Bessa J. sox21a directs lateral line patterning by modulating FGF signaling. Dev Neurobiol. 2015;75:80-92 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that sox21a is a key player in the pLL primordium patterning, fine-tuning the border of the Fgf and Wnt signaling domains. ..
- Sapede D, Pujades C. Hedgehog signaling governs the development of otic sensory epithelium and its associated innervation in zebrafish. J Neurosci. 2010;30:3612-23 pubmed publisher..These results lead to a model in which Hh orients functionally the development of inner ear towards an auditory fate in all vertebrate species. ..
- Liao W, Cheng C, Hung K, Chiu W, Chen G, Hwang P, et al. Protein tyrosine phosphatase receptor type O (Ptpro) regulates cerebellar formation during zebrafish development through modulating Fgf signaling. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2013;70:2367-81 pubmed publisher..Therefore, our findings demonstrate that Ptpro activity is required for patterning the zebrafish embryonic brain. Specifically, Ptpro regulates cerebellar formation during zebrafish development through modulating Fgf signaling. ..
- Distel M, Hocking J, Volkmann K, Köster R. The centrosome neither persistently leads migration nor determines the site of axonogenesis in migrating neurons in vivo. J Cell Biol. 2010;191:875-90 pubmed publisher..These in vivo data reveal a new temporal orchestration of organelle dynamics and provide important insights into the variation in intracellular processes during vertebrate brain differentiation. ..
- Elkon R, Milon B, Morrison L, Shah M, Vijayakumar S, Racherla M, et al. RFX transcription factors are essential for hearing in mice. Nat Commun. 2015;6:8549 pubmed publisher..We show that these mice are deaf secondary to rapid loss of initially well-formed outer HCs. These data identify an essential role for RFX in hearing and survival of the terminally differentiating outer HCs. ..
- Bricaud O, Collazo A. The transcription factor six1 inhibits neuronal and promotes hair cell fate in the developing zebrafish (Danio rerio) inner ear. J Neurosci. 2006;26:10438-51 pubmed..By independently targeting hair cells with atoh1a (atonal homolog 1a) knockdown or neurons with neurog1 (neurogenin 1) knockdown, we showed that the remaining cell population, ..
- Wibowo I, Pinto Teixeira F, Satou C, Higashijima S, Lopez Schier H. Compartmentalized Notch signaling sustains epithelial mirror symmetry. Development. 2011;138:1143-52 pubmed publisher..We conclude that a strongly anisotropic regeneration process that relies on the dynamic stabilization of progenitor identity in permissive polar compartments sustains bilateral symmetry in the lateral line. ..
- He Y, Wang Z, Sun S, Tang D, Li W, Chai R, et al. HDAC3 Is Required for Posterior Lateral Line Development in Zebrafish. Mol Neurobiol. 2016;53:5103-17 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that HDAC3 plays a crucial role in regulating posterior lateral line (PLL) formation and provide evidence for epigenetic regulation in auditory organ development. ..
- Song R, Koo B, Yoon K, Yoon M, Yoo K, Kim H, et al. Neuralized-2 regulates a Notch ligand in cooperation with Mind bomb-1. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:36391-400 pubmed..Thus, our study provides a new insight into how distinct E3 ligases work together in the endocytic pathways for Notch signaling. ..
- Brockschmidt A, Filippi A, Charbel Issa P, Nelles M, Urbach H, Eter N, et al. Neurologic and ocular phenotype in Pitt-Hopkins syndrome and a zebrafish model. Hum Genet. 2011;130:645-55 pubmed publisher..morphant phenotype was characterized for expression of neural differentiation genes neurog1, ascl1b, pax6a, zic1, atoh1a, atoh2b. Data from PTHS-patient and zebrafish morphants were compared...
- Larson T, Gordon T, Lau H, Parichy D. Defective adult oligodendrocyte and Schwann cell development, pigment pattern, and craniofacial morphology in puma mutant zebrafish having an alpha tubulin mutation. Dev Biol. 2010;346:296-309 pubmed publisher..This study identifies the puma mutant as a valuable model for studying microtubule-dependent events of myelination, as well as strategies for remyelination in the adult. ..