Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: alcama
Description: activated leukocyte cell adhesion molecule a
Alias: DM-GRASP, alcam, cd166, CD166 antigen homolog A, DM-GRASP homolog, neurolin, neurolin-a, zn5 / zn-5 antigen, zn8 / zn-8 antigen
- Masai I, Lele Z, Yamaguchi M, Komori A, Nakata A, Nishiwaki Y, et al. N-cadherin mediates retinal lamination, maintenance of forebrain compartments and patterning of retinal neurites. Development. 2003;130:2479-94 pubmed..Although in vitro studies have implicated Fgf receptors in modulating the axon outgrowth promoting properties of Ncad, most aspects of the Ncad mutant phenotype are not phenocopied by treatments that block Fgf receptor function. ..
- Plaster N, Sonntag C, Busse C, Hammerschmidt M. p53 deficiency rescues apoptosis and differentiation of multiple cell types in zebrafish flathead mutants deficient for zygotic DNA polymerase delta1. Cell Death Differ. 2006;13:223-35 pubmed..This indicates that under replication-compromised conditions, the p53 branch of the S-phase checkpoint is responsible for eliminating stalled cells that, given more time, would have otherwise finished their normal developmental program. ..
- Choudhry P, Joshi D, Funke B, Trede N. Alcama mediates Edn1 signaling during zebrafish cartilage morphogenesis. Dev Biol. 2011;349:483-93 pubmed publisher..Activated leukocyte cell adhesion molecule a (alcama), a member of the immunoglobulin (Ig) superfamily, is among the prominent markers of pharyngeal pouch endoderm, ..
- Poggi L, Vitorino M, Masai I, Harris W. Influences on neural lineage and mode of division in the zebrafish retina in vivo. J Cell Biol. 2005;171:991-9 pubmed..This study provides the first insight into reproducible lineage patterns of retinal progenitors in vivo and the first evidence that environmental signals influence the orientation of cell division and the lineage of neural progenitors. ..
- Rohr S, Otten C, Abdelilah Seyfried S. Asymmetric involution of the myocardial field drives heart tube formation in zebrafish. Circ Res. 2008;102:e12-9 pubmed publisher..Therefore, establishment of basic cardiac cell shapes precedes cardiac function. Together, these results provide the framework for the integration of single cell behaviors during the formation of the vertebrate primary heart tube. ..
- Anderson R, Bosch J, Goll M, Hesselson D, Dong P, Shin D, et al. Loss of Dnmt1 catalytic activity reveals multiple roles for DNA methylation during pancreas development and regeneration. Dev Biol. 2009;334:213-23 pubmed publisher..In addition, Dnmt1 may influence the differentiation of pancreatic beta cell progenitors or the reprogramming of cells toward the pancreatic beta cell fate. ..
- Elsen G, Choi L, Prince V, Ho R. The autism susceptibility gene met regulates zebrafish cerebellar development and facial motor neuron migration. Dev Biol. 2009;335:78-92 pubmed publisher..These functions may underlie the correlation between altered MET regulation and autism spectrum disorders. ..
- Beis D, Bartman T, Jin S, Scott I, D Amico L, Ober E, et al. Genetic and cellular analyses of zebrafish atrioventricular cushion and valve development. Development. 2005;132:4193-204 pubmed..This collection of mutants provides a unique set of tools to further our understanding of the genetic basis of cell behavior and differentiation during AV valve development. ..
- Park H, Shin J, Appel B. Spatial and temporal regulation of ventral spinal cord precursor specification by Hedgehog signaling. Development. 2004;131:5959-69 pubmed..Our studies show that spatial and temporal differences in Hh signaling within a common population of neural precursors can contribute to cell fate diversification. ..
- Hutchinson S, Eisen J. Islet1 and Islet2 have equivalent abilities to promote motoneuron formation and to specify motoneuron subtype identity. Development. 2006;133:2137-47 pubmed..Thus, primary motoneuron subtypes are likely to be specified by factors that act in parallel to or upstream of islet1 and islet2. ..
- Cheesman S, Layden M, Von Ohlen T, Doe C, Eisen J. Zebrafish and fly Nkx6 proteins have similar CNS expression patterns and regulate motoneuron formation. Development. 2004;131:5221-32 pubmed..Overexpression of fish or fly Nkx6 is sufficient to generate supernumerary motoneurons in both zebrafish and flies. These results suggest that one ancestral function of Nkx6 proteins was to promote motoneuron development. ..
- Martinez Morales J, Del Bene F, Nica G, Hammerschmidt M, Bovolenta P, Wittbrodt J. Differentiation of the vertebrate retina is coordinated by an FGF signaling center. Dev Cell. 2005;8:565-74 pubmed..The concerted activity of Fgf8 and Fgf3 is both necessary and sufficient to coordinate retinal differentiation independent of the connecting optic stalk. ..
- Bernardos R, Lentz S, Wolfe M, Raymond P. Notch-Delta signaling is required for spatial patterning and Müller glia differentiation in the zebrafish retina. Dev Biol. 2005;278:381-95 pubmed..In contrast to neurons, Müller glia failed to differentiate suggesting an instructive role for Notch-Delta signaling in gliogenesis. ..
- Lagendijk A, Goumans M, Burkhard S, Bakkers J. MicroRNA-23 restricts cardiac valve formation by inhibiting Has2 and extracellular hyaluronic acid production. Circ Res. 2011;109:649-57 pubmed publisher..MiR-23 in the embryonic heart is required to restrict endocardial cushion formation by inhibiting Has2 expression and extracellular hyaluronic acid production. ..
- Nowak M, Hammerschmidt M. Ubc9 regulates mitosis and cell survival during zebrafish development. Mol Biol Cell. 2006;17:5324-36 pubmed..Failed mitosis in the absence of Ubc9 is not necessarily coupled with cell death. Rather, cells can continue to replicate their DNA, grow to a larger size, and finish their normal developmental program. ..
- Choe C, Collazo A, Trinh L, Pan L, Moens C, Crump J. Wnt-dependent epithelial transitions drive pharyngeal pouch formation. Dev Cell. 2013;24:296-309 pubmed publisher..signaling induce the rearrangement of maturing pouch cells into bilayers through junctional localization of the Alcama immunoglobulin-domain protein, which functions to restabilize adherens junctions...
- Bernhardt R. Cellular and molecular bases of axonal pathfinding during embryogenesis of the fish central nervous system. J Neurobiol. 1999;38:137-60 pubmed..Experimental evidence for the functions of these molecules in the zebrafish nervous system is accumulating. In the future, this analysis is expected to profit greatly from genetic screens that have recently been initiated. ..
- Liu Q, Marrs J, Londraville R, Wilson A. Cadherin-7 function in zebrafish development. Cell Tissue Res. 2008;334:37-45 pubmed publisher..Our results thus demonstrate that cadherin-7 plays an important role in the normal development of the zebrafish notochord. ..
- Kopinke D, Sasine J, Swift J, Stephens W, Piotrowski T. Retinoic acid is required for endodermal pouch morphogenesis and not for pharyngeal endoderm specification. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:2695-709 pubmed..These results demonstrate that the developmental processes underlying pharyngeal arch defects differ depending on when RA signaling is disturbed during development...
- Sassa T, Aizawa H, Okamoto H. Visualization of two distinct classes of neurons by gad2 and zic1 promoter/enhancer elements in the dorsal hindbrain of developing zebrafish reveals neuronal connectivity related to the auditory and lateral line systems. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:706-18 pubmed..Comparison of these projections with those from the cochlear nuclei to the inferior colliculus in mammals suggests similarities across vertebrate species. ..
- Shkumatava A, Neumann C. Shh directs cell-cycle exit by activating p57Kip2 in the zebrafish retina. EMBO Rep. 2005;6:563-9 pubmed..These findings raise the possibility that stimulation of cell-cycle exit through regulation of core cell-cycle components may be part of a general mechanism required for Hh-directed differentiation. ..
- Wang Y, Li C, Lee G, Tsay H, Tsai H, Chen Y. Inactivation of zebrafish mrf4 leads to myofibril misalignment and motor axon growth disorganization. Dev Dyn. 2008;237:1043-50 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Mrf4_tv2 is involved in alignment of muscle fibers, and Mrf4_tv1 might have cooperative function with Mrf4_tv2 in muscle fiber alignment, without affecting the muscle-nerve connection. ..
- Patra C, Diehl F, Ferrazzi F, van Amerongen M, Novoyatleva T, Schaefer L, et al. Nephronectin regulates atrioventricular canal differentiation via Bmp4-Has2 signaling in zebrafish. Development. 2011;138:4499-509 pubmed publisher..endocardial cells along the extended tube-like structure exhibit characteristics of AV cells (has2, notch1b and Alcam expression, cuboidal cell shape)...
- Hörnberg H, Cioni J, Harris W, Holt C. Hermes Regulates Axon Sorting in the Optic Tract by Post-Trancriptional Regulation of Neuropilin 1. J Neurosci. 2016;36:12697-12706 pubmed..We characterize a novel RNA-based mechanism by which axons restrict their translatome developmentally to achieve proper targeting. ..
- Song M, Brown N, Kuwada J. The cfy mutation disrupts cell divisions in a stage-dependent manner in zebrafish embryos. Dev Biol. 2004;276:194-206 pubmed..These results suggest that the cfy gene regulates mitosis perhaps in a stage-dependent manner in vertebrate embryos. ..
- Chen Z, Huang W, Dahme T, Rottbauer W, Ackerman M, Xu X. Depletion of zebrafish essential and regulatory myosin light chains reduces cardiac function through distinct mechanisms. Cardiovasc Res. 2008;79:97-108 pubmed publisher..RLCs may have distinct pathological characteristics during disease progression. ..
- Gregg R, Willer G, Fadool J, Dowling J, Link B. Positional cloning of the young mutation identifies an essential role for the Brahma chromatin remodeling complex in mediating retinal cell differentiation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:6535-40 pubmed..Lastly, through investigations of mutants in other chromatin remodeling subunits, we provide genetic evidence for gene and tissue specificity of the Brahma chromatin remodeling complex. ..
- Jao L, Appel B, Wente S. A zebrafish model of lethal congenital contracture syndrome 1 reveals Gle1 function in spinal neural precursor survival and motor axon arborization. Development. 2012;139:1316-26 pubmed publisher..We propose that defective GLE1 function in human LCCS1 results in both neurogenic and non-neurogenic defects linked to the apoptosis of proliferative organ precursors. ..
- Bae Y, Kani S, Shimizu T, Tanabe K, Nojima H, Kimura Y, et al. Anatomy of zebrafish cerebellum and screen for mutations affecting its development. Dev Biol. 2009;330:406-26 pubmed publisher..Our data provide a platform for future studies of zebrafish cerebellar development. ..
- Anderson R, Delous M, Bosch J, Ye L, Robertson M, Hesselson D, et al. Hepatocyte growth factor signaling in intrapancreatic ductal cells drives pancreatic morphogenesis. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003650 pubmed publisher..Altogether, these results reveal a novel and essential role for HGF signaling in the intrapancreatic ducts during exocrine morphogenesis. ..
- Chen Y, Huang Y, Wen C, Wang Y, Chen W, Chen L, et al. Movement disorder and neuromuscular change in zebrafish embryos after exposure to caffeine. Neurotoxicol Teratol. 2008;30:440-7 pubmed publisher..Our data show that the treatment of caffeine leads to misalignment of muscle fibers and motor neuron defects, especially secondary motor neuron axonal growth defects. ..
- Donat S, Lourenço M, Paolini A, Otten C, Renz M, Abdelilah Seyfried S. Heg1 and Ccm1/2 proteins control endocardial mechanosensitivity during zebrafish valvulogenesis. elife. 2018;7: pubmed publisher..Hence, the correct balance of blood-flow-dependent induction and Krit1 protein-mediated repression of klf2a and notch1b ultimately shapes cardiac valve leaflet morphology. ..
- Yamaguchi M, Fujimori Tonou N, Yoshimura Y, Kishi T, Okamoto H, Masai I. Mutation of DNA primase causes extensive apoptosis of retinal neurons through the activation of DNA damage checkpoint and tumor suppressor p53. Development. 2008;135:1247-57 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that the surveillance system of genome integrity strongly influences the cell fate decision between differentiation and apoptosis during retinal neurogenesis in zebrafish. ..
- Fausett B, Goldman D. A role for alpha1 tubulin-expressing Müller glia in regeneration of the injured zebrafish retina. J Neurosci. 2006;26:6303-13 pubmed..These data strongly suggest alpha1T-expressing Müller glia dedifferentiate and mediate regeneration of the injured zebrafish retina. ..
- Catalano A, Raymond P, Goldman D, Wei X. Zebrafish dou yan mutation causes patterning defects and extensive cell death in the retina. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:1295-306 pubmed..Identification and further study of the dou yan gene will enhance our understanding of the molecular mechanisms regulating retinal cellular homeostasis, i.e., the balance between cell proliferation and cell death. ..
- Wilson A, Shen Y, Babb Clendenon S, Rostedt J, Liu B, Barald K, et al. Cadherin-4 plays a role in the development of zebrafish cranial ganglia and lateral line system. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:893-902 pubmed..These results indicate that Cdh4 plays a role in the normal formation of the zebrafish lateral line system and a subset of the cranial ganglia. ..
- Ungos J, Karlstrom R, Raible D. Hedgehog signaling is directly required for the development of zebrafish dorsal root ganglia neurons. Development. 2003;130:5351-62 pubmed..These results suggest that Hh signaling may normally promote DRG development by regulating expression of ngn1 in DRG precursors. ..
- Zolessi F, Poggi L, Wilkinson C, Chien C, Harris W. Polarization and orientation of retinal ganglion cells in vivo. Neural Dev. 2006;1:2 pubmed..Mosaic analysis in four dimensions, using mutants in which neuroepithelial polarity is disrupted, indicates that extrinsic factors such as access to the basal lamina are critical for normal axon emergence from RGCs in vivo. ..
- Ebert A, Childs S, Hehr C, Cechmanek P, McFarlane S. Sema6a and Plxna2 mediate spatially regulated repulsion within the developing eye to promote eye vesicle cohesion. Development. 2014;141:2473-82 pubmed publisher..We propose a novel, tissue-autonomous mechanism of organ cohesion, with neutralization of repulsion suggested as a means to promote interactions between cells within a tissue domain. ..
- Deacon D, Nevis K, Cashman T, Zhou Y, Zhao L, Washko D, et al. The miR-143-adducin3 pathway is essential for cardiac chamber morphogenesis. Development. 2010;137:1887-96 pubmed publisher..Together, our data uncover the miR-143-add3 genetic pathway as essential for cardiac chamber formation and function through active adjustment of myocardial cell morphology. ..
- Conway G. STAT3-dependent pathfinding and control of axonal branching and target selection. Dev Biol. 2006;296:119-36 pubmed..These results are consistent with and highlight a fundamental role for STAT3 as a factor promoting cellular responses to guidance cues, not only in nonneural cells but also in pathfinding neurons. ..
- Sakai J, Halloran M. Semaphorin 3d guides laterality of retinal ganglion cell projections in zebrafish. Development. 2006;133:1035-44 pubmed..Our results indicate that a proper balance of Sema3d is needed at the midline for the progression of RGC axons from the chiasm midline into the contralateral optic tract. ..
- Linville A, Radtke K, Waxman J, Yelon D, Schilling T. Combinatorial roles for zebrafish retinoic acid receptors in the hindbrain, limbs and pharyngeal arches. Dev Biol. 2009;325:60-70 pubmed publisher..These studies reveal novel tissue-specific roles for RARs in controlling the competence and sensitivity of cells to respond to RA. ..
- Nakaya N, Lee H, Takada Y, Tzchori I, Tomarev S. Zebrafish olfactomedin 1 regulates retinal axon elongation in vivo and is a modulator of Wnt signaling pathway. J Neurosci. 2008;28:7900-10 pubmed publisher..Simultaneous overexpression of WIF-1 and Olfm1 abolished the WIF-1 effect. Physical interaction of WIF-1 and Olfm1 was demonstrated by coimmunoprecipitation experiments. We concluded that Olfm1 serves as a modulator of Wnt signaling. ..
- Babb S, Kotradi S, Shah B, Chiappini Williamson C, Bell L, Schmeiser G, et al. Zebrafish R-cadherin (Cdh4) controls visual system development and differentiation. Dev Dyn. 2005;233:930-45 pubmed..Cdh4 is necessary for neural retina survival and differentiation, and required for normal retinotectal projection formation and tectal arborization. ..
- D Souza J, Hendricks M, Le Guyader S, Subburaju S, Grunewald B, Scholich K, et al. Formation of the retinotectal projection requires Esrom, an ortholog of PAM (protein associated with Myc). Development. 2005;132:247-56 pubmed..These data identify a mediator of signal transduction in retinal growth cones, which is required for topographic map formation. ..
- Ke Z, Kondrichin I, Gong Z, Korzh V. Combined activity of the two Gli2 genes of zebrafish play a major role in Hedgehog signaling during zebrafish neurodevelopment. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2008;37:388-401 pubmed..Gli2b acts in cell proliferation and plays an early role in the hindbrain within a regulatory cascade involving Notch and Ngn1, as well as a role as specific activator in rhombomere 4. ..
- Totong R, Schell T, Lescroart F, Ryckebusch L, Lin Y, Zygmunt T, et al. The novel transmembrane protein Tmem2 is essential for coordination of myocardial and endocardial morphogenesis. Development. 2011;138:4199-205 pubmed publisher..Together, our data reveal that Tmem2 is an essential mediator of myocardium-endocardium coordination during cardiac morphogenesis. ..
- Leung Y, Ma P, Link B, Dowling J. Factorial microarray analysis of zebrafish retinal development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:12909-14 pubmed publisher..This study highlights the utility of factorial microarray analysis to efficiently identify relevant regulatory pathways influenced by both specific gene products and normal developmental events. ..
- Gulati Leekha A, Goldman D. A reporter-assisted mutagenesis screen using alpha 1-tubulin-GFP transgenic zebrafish uncovers missteps during neuronal development and axonogenesis. Dev Biol. 2006;296:29-47 pubmed..Molecular identification of these loci and analysis of the remaining mutational repertoire will offer unique insights into the genetic inputs that go on to make a mature, differentiated neuron. ..
- Semina E, Bosenko D, Zinkevich N, Soules K, Hyde D, Vihtelic T, et al. Mutations in laminin alpha 1 result in complex, lens-independent ocular phenotypes in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2006;299:63-77 pubmed..Our analysis provides mechanistic insights into the developmental defects and ocular pathogenesis caused by mutations in laminin subunits. ..
- Flores M, Lam E, Crosier P, Crosier K. A hierarchy of Runx transcription factors modulate the onset of chondrogenesis in craniofacial endochondral bones in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:3166-76 pubmed..We also show that, in contrast to data from mouse studies, zebrafish Runx1 is not required in the initial steps of chondrogenesis leading to endochondral bone formation. ..
- Auer T, Xiao T, Bercier V, Gebhardt C, Duroure K, Concordet J, et al. Deletion of a kinesin I motor unmasks a mechanism of homeostatic branching control by neurotrophin-3. elife. 2015;4: pubmed publisher..Thus, our study has uncovered an activity-dependent, retrograde signaling pathway that homeostatically controls axonal branching. ..
- Perkins B, Nicholas C, Baye L, Link B, Dowling J. dazed gene is necessary for late cell type development and retinal cell maintenance in the zebrafish retina. Dev Dyn. 2005;233:680-94 pubmed..Taken together, our studies suggest a role for the dazed gene in rod and Muller cell development and overall retinal cell survival and maintenance. ..
- Liu I, Zhang C, Kim M, Cole G. Retina development in zebrafish requires the heparan sulfate proteoglycan agrin. Dev Neurobiol. 2008;68:877-98 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these agrin morphant phenotypes provide support for a crucial role of agrin in retina development and formation of an ordered retinotectal topographic map in the optic tectum of zebrafish. ..
- Sato Maeda M, Obinata M, Shoji W. Position fine-tuning of caudal primary motoneurons in the zebrafish spinal cord. Development. 2008;135:323-32 pubmed..Results suggest that Semaphorin-Neuropilin signaling plays an important role in position fine-tuning of CaP cell bodies to ensure proper exit points of motor axons. ..
- Chen I, Wang H, Hsieh Y, Huang W, Yeh H, Chuang Y. PRSS23 is essential for the Snail-dependent endothelial-to-mesenchymal transition during valvulogenesis in zebrafish. Cardiovasc Res. 2013;97:443-53 pubmed publisher..We demonstrated for the first time that the initiation of EndoMT in valvulogenesis depends on PRSS23-Snail signalling and that the functional role of PRSS23 during AV valve formation is evolutionarily conserved. ..
- Li W, Zhou L, Li Z, Wang Y, Shi J, Yang Y, et al. Zebrafish Lbh-like Is Required for Otx2-mediated Photoreceptor Differentiation. Int J Biol Sci. 2015;11:688-700 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, knockdown of lbh-like increases the activity of Notch pathway and perturbs the balance among proliferation, differentiation and survival of photoreceptor precursors. ..
- Sherpa T, Fimbel S, Mallory D, Maaswinkel H, Spritzer S, Sand J, et al. Ganglion cell regeneration following whole-retina destruction in zebrafish. Dev Neurobiol. 2008;68:166-81 pubmed..This model system for whole-retina regeneration has provided an informative view of the regenerative process. ..
- Dong P, Provost E, Leach S, Stainier D. Graded levels of Ptf1a differentially regulate endocrine and exocrine fates in the developing pancreas. Genes Dev. 2008;22:1445-50 pubmed publisher..We propose that low levels of Ptf1a promote endocrine fate, whereas high levels repress endocrine fate and promote exocrine fate. ..
- Yeo S, Chitnis A. Jagged-mediated Notch signaling maintains proliferating neural progenitors and regulates cell diversity in the ventral spinal cord. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:5913-8 pubmed
- Shimizu T, Bae Y, Hibi M. Cdx-Hox code controls competence for responding to Fgfs and retinoic acid in zebrafish neural tissue. Development. 2006;133:4709-19 pubmed..Our results indicate that the Cdx-Hox code modifies tissue competence to respond to Fgfs and RA in neural tissue. ..
- Nechiporuk A, Linbo T, Raible D. Endoderm-derived Fgf3 is necessary and sufficient for inducing neurogenesis in the epibranchial placodes in zebrafish. Development. 2005;132:3717-30 pubmed..Based on these findings, we propose a model for epibranchial placode development in which Fgf3 is a major endodermal determinant required for epibranchial placode neurogenesis. ..
- Ahuja S, Dogra D, Stainier D, Reischauer S. Id4 functions downstream of Bmp signaling to restrict TCF function in endocardial cells during atrioventricular valve development. Dev Biol. 2016;412:71-82 pubmed publisher..We further show that id4 appears to control the number of endocardial cells that contribute to the AV valves by regulating Wnt signaling in the developing AVC endocardium. ..
- Warga R, Kane D. One-eyed pinhead regulates cell motility independent of Squint/Cyclops signaling. Dev Biol. 2003;261:391-411 pubmed..We conclude that, in addition to a role in Nodal signaling, One-eyed pinhead is required for aspects of cell movement, possibly by regulating cell adhesion. ..
- Schilling T, Concordet J, Ingham P. Regulation of left-right asymmetries in the zebrafish by Shh and BMP4. Dev Biol. 1999;210:277-87 pubmed..Thus, hh signals influence the development of multiple organ asymmetries in zebrafish and different organs appear to respond to a central cascade of midline signaling independently, which in the heart involves BMP4. ..