Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: alas2
Description: aminolevulinate, delta-, synthase 2
Alias: alas-e, cb1063, sau, sauternes, si:dkey-24f17.4, 5-aminolevulinate synthase, erythroid-specific, mitochondrial, 5-aminolevulinate synthase 2, 5-aminolevulinic acid synthase 2, aminolevulinate, delta-, synthetase 2, delta-ALA synthase 2, delta-ALA synthetase, delta-aminolevulinate synthase 2
- Chung J, Anderson S, Gwynn B, Deck K, Chen M, Langer N, et al. Iron regulatory protein-1 protects against mitoferrin-1-deficient porphyria. J Biol Chem. 2014;289:7835-43 pubmed publisher..IRP1 attenuates protoporphyrin biosynthesis by binding to the 5'-iron response element (IRE) of alas2 mRNA, inhibiting its translation...
- Porcher C, Liao E, Fujiwara Y, Zon L, Orkin S. Specification of hematopoietic and vascular development by the bHLH transcription factor SCL without direct DNA binding. Development. 1999;126:4603-15 pubmed
- Sumanas S, Larson J. Morpholino phosphorodiamidate oligonucleotides in zebrafish: a recipe for functional genomics?. Brief Funct Genomic Proteomic. 2002;1:239-56 pubmed..The essential controls that are required to avoid misinterpretation of experimental data when using MPOs for gene function analysis will also be described. ..
- Imamura S, Uchiyama J, Koshimizu E, Hanai J, Raftopoulou C, Murphey R, et al. A non-canonical function of zebrafish telomerase reverse transcriptase is required for developmental hematopoiesis. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e3364 pubmed publisher..The data also provide insights into a non-canonical pathway by which TERT functions to modulate specification of hematopoietic stem/progenitor cells during vertebrate development. (276 words). ..
- Delgado Olguin P, Brand Arzamendi K, Scott I, Jungblut B, Stainier D, Bruneau B, et al. CTCF promotes muscle differentiation by modulating the activity of myogenic regulatory factors. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:12483-94 pubmed publisher..We conclude that CTCF modulates MRF functional interactions in the orchestration of myogenesis. ..
- Hanaoka R, Katayama S, Dawid I, Kawahara A. Characterization of the heme synthesis enzyme coproporphyrinogen oxidase (CPO) in zebrafish erythrogenesis. Genes Cells. 2006;11:293-303 pubmed
- Zhang Z, Jia H, Zhang Q, Wan Y, Zhou Y, Jia Q, et al. Assessment of hematopoietic failure due to Rpl11 deficiency in a zebrafish model of Diamond-Blackfan anemia by deep sequencing. BMC Genomics. 2013;14:896 pubmed publisher..in Rpl11-deficient zebrafish were related to dysregulation of iron metabolism-related genes, including tfa, tfr1b, alas2 and slc25a37, which are involved in heme and hemoglobin biosynthesis...
- FernÃ¡ndez Murray J, Prykhozhij S, Dufay J, Steele S, Gaston D, Nasrallah G, et al. Glycine and Folate Ameliorate Models of Congenital Sideroblastic Anemia. PLoS Genet. 2016;12:e1005783 pubmed publisher..Given the tolerability of glycine and folate in humans, this study points to a potential novel treatment for SLC25A38 congenital sideroblastic anemia. ..
- Sandoval I, Manos E, Van Wagoner R, Delacruz R, Edes K, Winge D, et al. Juxtaposition of chemical and mutation-induced developmental defects in zebrafish reveal a copper-chelating activity for kalihinol F. Chem Biol. 2013;20:753-63 pubmed publisher..Our data support this mechanism of action for kalihinol F and the utility of zebrafish as an effective system for identifying therapeutic and target pathways. ..
- Kardon J, Yien Y, Huston N, Branco D, Hildick Smith G, Rhee K, et al. Mitochondrial ClpX Activates a Key Enzyme for Heme Biosynthesis and Erythropoiesis. Cell. 2015;161:858-67 pubmed publisher..mtClpX, therefore, is a widely conserved stimulator of an essential biosynthetic pathway and uses a previously unrecognized mechanism for AAA+ unfoldases. ..
- Gering M, Yamada Y, Rabbitts T, Patient R. Lmo2 and Scl/Tal1 convert non-axial mesoderm into haemangioblasts which differentiate into endothelial cells in the absence of Gata1. Development. 2003;130:6187-99 pubmed..These results suggest that, in the absence of inducers of erythroid or myeloid haematopoiesis, Scl/Tal1-Lmo2-induced haemangioblasts differentiate into endothelial cells. ..
- Gardiner M, Gongora M, Grimmond S, Perkins A. A global role for zebrafish klf4 in embryonic erythropoiesis. Mech Dev. 2007;124:762-74 pubmed..In addition, we show klf4 preferentially binds CACCC box elements in the primitive zebrafish beta-like globin gene promoters. These results have global implications for primitive erythroid gene regulation by KLF-CACCC box interactions. ..
- Songhet P, Adzic D, Reibe S, Rohr K. fgf1 is required for normal differentiation of erythrocytes in zebrafish primitive hematopoiesis. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:633-43 pubmed..As its knockdown in zebrafish changes expression of gata1, a gene involved in hematopoietic stem cell decisions, FGF1 should be considered to play a role in the pathogenesis of del(5q) syndrome. ..
- Taneda T, Zhu W, Cao Q, Watanabe H, Yamaguchi Y, Handa H, et al. Erythropoiesis is regulated by the transcription elongation factor Foggy/Spt5 through gata1 gene regulation. Genes Cells. 2011;16:231-42 pubmed publisher..MO)-mediated knockdown of foggy/spt5 has led to a reduction in the expression of gata1 and the gata1 target genes alas2 and hbae3 and inhibited proper hemoglobin production...
- Patil P, Uechi T, Kenmochi N. Incomplete splicing of neutrophil-specific genes affects neutrophil development in a zebrafish model of poikiloderma with neutropenia. RNA Biol. 2015;12:426-34 pubmed publisher..This zebrafish model could serve as a valuable tool to investigate the causative role of USB1 in PN pathogenesis. ..
- Takeuchi M, Fuse Y, Watanabe M, Andrea C, Takeuchi M, Nakajima H, et al. LSD1/KDM1A promotes hematopoietic commitment of hemangioblasts through downregulation of Etv2. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2015;112:13922-7 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that the LSD1-dependent shutdown of Etv2 gene expression may be a significant event required for hemangioblasts to initiate hematopoietic differentiation. ..
- Galloway J, Wingert R, Thisse C, Thisse B, Zon L. Loss of gata1 but not gata2 converts erythropoiesis to myelopoiesis in zebrafish embryos. Dev Cell. 2005;8:109-16 pubmed..Our studies establish a transcriptional hierarchy of Gata factor dependence during hematopoiesis and demonstrate that gata1 plays an integral role in directing myelo-erythroid lineage fate decisions during embryogenesis. ..
- Zhou X, Zhang T, Ren L, Wu J, Wang W, Liu J. Copper elevated embryonic hemoglobin through reactive oxygen species during zebrafish erythrogenesis. Aquat Toxicol. 2016;175:1-11 pubmed publisher..Moreover, we revealed that copper homeostasis was broken by its induced ROS and ROS helped with copper overloading in the body, which could be applied as a novel therapy target for copper-caused diseases. ..
- Cvejic A, Serbanovic Canic J, Stemple D, Ouwehand W. The role of meis1 in primitive and definitive hematopoiesis during zebrafish development. Haematologica. 2011;96:190-8 pubmed publisher..The numbers of other cells (scl-, gata1- and alas2-positive cells) were also quantified by measuring the corresponding stained areas of the embryos...