Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: ugpA
Description: glycerol-3-phosphate transporter subunit
Alias: ECK3436, JW3417, psiB, psiC
- Carbon-starvation induction of the ugp operon, encoding the binding protein-dependent sn-glycerol-3-phosphate transport system in Escherichia coliT Z Su
Department of Biological Chemistry, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor 48109 0606
Mol Gen Genet 230:28-32. 1991..This conclusion is supported by the fact that pho-independent ugp expression correlated with the presence of the cya and crp gene products...
- Structural comparison of lactose permease and the glycerol-3-phosphate antiporter: members of the major facilitator superfamilyJeff Abramson
Department of Biological Sciences, Imperial College London, London SW7 2AZ, UK
Curr Opin Struct Biol 14:413-9. 2004..All three structures reveal 12 transmembrane helices forming two distinct domains, and could imply that members of this superfamily have preserved both secondary and tertiary structure elements during evolution...
- The structural basis of substrate translocation by the Escherichia coli glycerol-3-phosphate transporter: a member of the major facilitator superfamilyM Joanne Lemieux
Skirball Institute of Biomolecular Medicine and Department of Cell Biology, New York University School of Medicine, 540 First Avenue, New York, New York 10016, USA
Curr Opin Struct Biol 14:405-12. 2004..The structure and mechanism of the glycerol-3-phosphate transporter form a paradigm for other members of the major facilitator superfamily...
- Binding protein-dependent ABC transport system for glycerol 3-phosphate of Escherichia coliW Boos
Faculty of Biology, University of Konstanz, Germany
Methods Enzymol 292:40-51. 1998
- A second transport system for sn-glycerol-3-phosphate in Escherichia coliM Argast
J Bacteriol 136:1070-83. 1978..The mutation ugp+, which was responsible for the appearance of the new transport system and the appearance of GP 1, 2, and 3 in the periplasm was cotransducible with araD by phage P1 transduction and was recessive in merodiploids...
- Functional exchangeability of the ABC proteins of the periplasmic binding protein-dependent transport systems Ugp and Mal of Escherichia coliD Hekstra
Department of Molecular Cell Biology, Utrecht University, The Netherlands
J Bacteriol 175:6546-52. 1993..that it was expressed at a sufficiently high level in the absence of the integral inner membrane components UgpA and/or UgpE of the Ugp system...
- The pho regulon-dependent Ugp uptake system for glycerol-3-phosphate in Escherichia coli is trans inhibited by PiP Brzoska
Department of Biology, University of Konstanz, Germany
J Bacteriol 176:15-20. 1994..5 mM. Cells had to be starved for Pi in order to observe this inhibition. We conclude that the activity of the Ugp transport system is controlled by the level of internal phosphate...
- Kinetic analysis by in vivo 31P nuclear magnetic resonance of internal Pi during the uptake of sn-glycerol-3-phosphate by the pho regulon-dependent Ugp system and the glp regulon-dependent GlpT systemK B Xavier
Instituto de Tecnologia Quimica e Biologica, UNL, Oeiras, Portugal
J Bacteriol 177:699-704. 1995..Both systems were inversely controlled by internal Pi. Whereas the Ugp system was inhibited, the GlpT system was stimulated by elevated internal Pi...
- Effects of halo analogs of glycerol 3-phosphate and dihydroxyacetone phosphate upon Escherichia coliB Mildener
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 19:678-81. 1981..The fluoro and chloro analogs of glycerol 3-phosphate inhibit the growth of Escherichia coli and affect bacterial enzymes involved in lipid synthesis...
- Characterization of the ugp region containing the genes for the phoB dependent sn-glycerol-3-phosphate transport system of Escherichia coliH Schweizer
Mol Gen Genet 197:161-8. 1984..are organized in two separate operons which comprise at least four genes: ugpB and ugpD constitute one operon, ugpA and ugpC constitute the other. The structural gene for the G3P binding protein (G3PBP) is ugpB...
- Mapping of two ugp genes coding for the pho regulon-dependent sn-glycerol-3-phosphate transport system of Escherichia coliH Schweizer
J Bacteriol 150:1164-71. 1982Two genes, ugpA and ugpB, coding for a binding protein-dependent sn-glycerol-3-phosphate transport system, were mapped at 75.3 min on the Escherichia coli chromosome...
- Cloning of the ugp region containing the structural genes for the pho regulon-dependent sn-glycerol-3-phosphate transport system of Escherichia coliH Schweizer
Mol Gen Genet 192:177-86. 1983..Using ugp-lacZ fusions, it could be shown that the ugp region consists of at least two different operons that are transcribed in the same direction (counterclockwise) on the E. coli chromosome...
- Fluorouracil and the isolation of mutants lacking uridine phosphorylase in Escherichia coli: location of the geneR H Pritchard
Mol Gen Genet 111:84-8. 1971
- Nucleotide sequence of the ugp genes of Escherichia coli K-12: homology to the maltose systemP Overduin
Department of Molecular Cell Biology, State University of Utrecht, The Netherlands
Mol Microbiol 2:767-75. 1988..The sequences of the proteins contain the characteristics of several other binding protein-dependent transport systems, but they seem to be particularly closely related to the maltose system...
- Possible involvement of the ugpA gene product in the stable maintenance of mini-F plasmid in Escherichia coliB Ezaki
Department of Molecular Genetics, Kumamoto University Medical School, Japan
Mol Gen Genet 223:361-8. 1990..the seg-3 mutant carried two mutations that additively affected the maintenance of mini-F plasmid; one was in the ugpA gene and the other was presumably in the rpoH gene...
- Dual regulation of the ugp operon by phosphate and carbon starvation at two interspaced promotersM Kasahara
Department of Experimental Chemotherapy, Osaka University, Japan
J Bacteriol 173:549-58. 1991..These results suggest that the two promoters function alternately in responding to phosphate or carbon starvation, thus providing the cell with a means to adapt to these physiological stresses...
- Uptake of glycerol-2-phosphate via the ugp-encoded transporter in Escherichia coli K-12Kechao Yang
Department of Microbiology, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
J Bacteriol 191:4667-70. 2009..Mutations in the ugpBAECQ operon eliminated this phenotype, suggesting that G2P is a previously unrecognized substrate for the binding protein-dependent Ugp transporter...