Gene Symbol: EDS5
Description: MATE efflux family protein
Alias: ENHANCED DISEASE SUSCEPTIBILITY 5, F19H22.130, F19H22_130, SALICYLIC ACID INDUCTION DEFICIENT 1, SCORD3, SID1, susceptible to coronatine-deficient Pst DC3000 3, MATE efflux family protein
Species: thale cress
- Nawrath C, Metraux J. Salicylic acid induction-deficient mutants of Arabidopsis express PR-2 and PR-5 and accumulate high levels of camalexin after pathogen inoculation. Plant Cell. 1999;11:1393-404 pubmed..One of the mutants is allelic to eds5 (for enhanced disease susceptibility), whereas the other mutant has not been described previously.
- Nawrath C, Heck S, Parinthawong N, Metraux J. EDS5, an essential component of salicylic acid-dependent signaling for disease resistance in Arabidopsis, is a member of the MATE transporter family. Plant Cell. 2002;14:275-86 pubmedThe eds5 mutant of Arabidopsis (earlier named sid1) was shown previously to accumulate very little salicylic acid and PR-1 transcript after pathogen inoculation and to be hypersusceptible to pathogens...
- Kus J, Zaton K, Sarkar R, Cameron R. Age-related resistance in Arabidopsis is a developmentally regulated defense response to Pseudomonas syringae. Plant Cell. 2002;14:479-90 pubmed..However, three salicylic acid (SA) accumulation-deficient plant lines, NahG, sid1, and sid2, did not exhibit ARR...
- Carviel J, Al Daoud F, Neumann M, Mohammad A, Provart N, Moeder W, et al. Forward and reverse genetics to identify genes involved in the age-related resistance response in Arabidopsis thaliana. Mol Plant Pathol. 2009;10:621-34 pubmed publisher..IAP1 encodes a key component of ARR that acts upstream of SA accumulation and possibly downstream of UGT85A1, CDA1 and the two NAC transcription factors (ANAC055, ANAC092)...
- Serrano M, Wang B, Aryal B, Garcion C, Abou Mansour E, Heck S, et al. Export of salicylic acid from the chloroplast requires the multidrug and toxin extrusion-like transporter EDS5. Plant Physiol. 2013;162:1815-21 pubmed publisher..Genetic studies indicated that the multidrug and toxin extrusion transporter ENHANCED DISEASE SUSCEPTIBILITY5 (EDS5) of Arabidopsis (Arabidopsis thaliana) is necessary for SA accumulation after biotic and abiotic stress, but so far ..
- Yamasaki K, Motomura Y, Yagi Y, Nomura H, Kikuchi S, Nakai M, et al. Chloroplast envelope localization of EDS5, an essential factor for salicylic acid biosynthesis in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Signal Behav. 2013;8:e23603 pubmed publisherChloroplasts are responsible for biosynthesis of salicylic acid (SA) an important signal molecule in plant immunity. EDS5 is a homolog of the MATE (multidrug and toxic compound extrusion) family of transporters, and is essential for SA ..
- Consonni C, Humphry M, Hartmann H, Livaja M, Durner J, Westphal L, et al. Conserved requirement for a plant host cell protein in powdery mildew pathogenesis. Nat Genet. 2006;38:716-20 pubmed
- Ishihara T, Sekine K, Hase S, Kanayama Y, Seo S, Ohashi Y, et al. Overexpression of the Arabidopsis thaliana EDS5 gene enhances resistance to viruses. Plant Biol (Stuttg). 2008;10:451-61 pubmed publisherThe Arabidopsis thaliana ENHANCED DISEASE SUSCEPTIBILITY 5 gene (EDS5) is required for salicylic acid (SA) synthesis in pathogen-challenged plants...
- Mukherjee M, Larrimore K, Ahmed N, Bedick T, Barghouthi N, Traw M, et al. Ascorbic acid deficiency in arabidopsis induces constitutive priming that is dependent on hydrogen peroxide, salicylic acid, and the NPR1 gene. Mol Plant Microbe Interact. 2010;23:340-51 pubmed publisher..We also studied double mutants defective in the AA-biosynthetic gene VTC1 and the SA signaling pathway genes PAD4, EDS5, and NPR1, respectively. All vtc mutants were more resistant to P. syringae than the wild type...
- Zeng W, Brutus A, Kremer J, Withers J, Gao X, Jones A, et al. A genetic screen reveals Arabidopsis stomatal and/or apoplastic defenses against Pseudomonas syringae pv. tomato DC3000. PLoS Pathog. 2011;7:e1002291 pubmed publisher..We have cloned SCORD3, which is required for salicylic acid (SA) biosynthesis, and SCORD5, which encodes an ATP-binding cassette (ABC) ..
- Carviel J, Wilson D, Isaacs M, Carella P, Catana V, Golding B, et al. Investigation of intercellular salicylic acid accumulation during compatible and incompatible Arabidopsis-pseudomonas syringae interactions using a fast neutron-generated mutant allele of EDS5 identified by genetic mapping and whole-genome sequencing. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e88608 pubmed publisher..technique developed to identify fast neutron-induced deletion mutations revealed that iap1-1 is a new allele of EDS5 (eds5-5)...