Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: nef
Description: nef protein
Species: Simian immunodeficiency virus
- Lamers S, Nolan D, Rife B, Fogel G, McGrath M, Burdo T, et al. Tracking the Emergence of Host-Specific Simian Immunodeficiency Virus env and nef Populations Reveals nef Early Adaptation and Convergent Evolution in Brain of Naturally Progressing Rhesus Macaques. J Virol. 2015;89:8484-96 pubmed publisher..The evolution of the gp120 and nef genes, which encode two key proteins required for the establishment and maintenance of infection, was assessed in ..
- Swigut T, Alexander L, Morgan J, Lifson J, Mansfield K, Lang S, et al. Impact of Nef-mediated downregulation of major histocompatibility complex class I on immune response to simian immunodeficiency virus. J Virol. 2004;78:13335-44 pubmed publisherFunctional activities that have been ascribed to the nef gene product of simian immunodeficiency virus (SIV) and human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) include CD4 downregulation, major histocompatibility complex (MHC) class I downregulation,..
- Caples M, Clements J, Barber S. Protein kinase CK2 phosphorylates the Nef protein from a neurovirulent simian immunodeficiency virus. Virology. 2006;348:156-64 pubmedThe Nef protein of Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) and Simian Immunodeficiency Virus (SIV) is a pluripotent accessory protein that plays a critical role in disease progression...
- Choi B, Fermin C, Comardelle A, Haislip A, Voss T, Garry R. Alterations in intracellular potassium concentration by HIV-1 and SIV Nef. Virol J. 2008;5:60 pubmed publisher..HIV-1 Nef induces alterations in the intracellular potassium concentration in CD4+ T-lymphoblastoid cells, but not ..
- Schm kel J, Li H, Bailes E, Schindler M, Silvestri G, Hahn B, et al. Conservation of Nef function across highly diverse lineages of SIVsmm. Retrovirology. 2009;6:36 pubmed publisher..whether representatives of five different SIVsmm lineages show differences in the function of the accessory Nef protein, which plays an important role in viral persistence, transmission and pathogenesis. ..
- Manrique S, Sauter D, Horenkamp F, Lülf S, Yu H, Hotter D, et al. Endocytic sorting motif interactions involved in Nef-mediated downmodulation of CD4 and CD3. Nat Commun. 2017;8:442 pubmed publisher..While Nef-mediated CD4 downmodulation is conserved, the ability to internalize CD3 was lost in HIV-1 and its precursors...
- Laguette N, Br gnard C, Benichou S, Basmaciogullari S. Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) type-1, HIV-2 and simian immunodeficiency virus Nef proteins. Mol Aspects Med. 2010;31:418-33 pubmed publisher..Human and simian lentiviruses have acquired non-structural proteins among which Nef plays a major role in the evolution of viral infection towards an immunodeficiency syndrome...
- Cale E, Bazick H, Rianprakaisang T, Alam S, Letvin N. Mutations in a dominant Nef epitope of simian immunodeficiency virus diminish TCR:epitope peptide affinity but not epitope peptide:MHC class I binding. J Immunol. 2011;187:3300-13 pubmed publisher..the mechanism underlying the evolution of such epitopes by studying CD8(+) T lymphocyte recognition of a dominant Nef epitope of SIVmac251 in infected Mamu-A*02(+) rhesus monkeys...
- Serra Moreno R, Zimmermann K, Stern L, Evans D. Tetherin/BST-2 antagonism by Nef depends on a direct physical interaction between Nef and tetherin, and on clathrin-mediated endocytosis. PLoS Pathog. 2013;9:e1003487 pubmed publisherb>Nef is the viral gene product employed by the majority of primate lentiviruses to overcome restriction by tetherin (BST-2 or CD317), an interferon-inducible transmembrane protein that inhibits the detachment of enveloped viruses from ..
- Koppensteiner H, H hne K, Gondim M, Gobert F, Widder M, Gundlach S, et al. Lentiviral Nef suppresses iron uptake in a strain specific manner through inhibition of Transferrin endocytosis. Retrovirology. 2014;11:1 pubmed publisher..Here, we evaluated the effect on cellular iron uptake upon expression of the accessory protein Nef from different lentiviral strains. ..
- Stolp B, Abraham L, Rudolph J, Fackler O. Lentiviral Nef proteins utilize PAK2-mediated deregulation of cofilin as a general strategy to interfere with actin remodeling. J Virol. 2010;84:3935-48 pubmed publisherb>Nef is an accessory protein and pathogenicity factor of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) and simian immunodeficiency virus (SIV) which elevates virus replication in vivo...
- Tschulena U, Sanzenbacher R, M hlebach M, Berger A, M nch J, Schindler M, et al. Mutation of a diacidic motif in SIV-PBj Nef impairs T-cell activation and enteropathic disease. Retrovirology. 2011;8:14 pubmed publisher..One important pathogenicity factor of the PBj virus is the PBj-Nef protein, which contains a conserved diacidic motif and, unusually, an immunoreceptor tyrosine-based activation ..
- Fomsgaard A, Hirsch V, Allan J, Johnson P. A highly divergent proviral DNA clone of SIV from a distinct species of African green monkey. Virology. 1991;182:397-402 pubmed..Our data suggest that lentiviruses from African green monkeys may have evolved in concert with speciation of the genus and support the concept that SIVagm may be the oldest primate lentivirus type in existence. ..