Gene Symbol: trpA
Description: tryptophan synthase subunit alpha
Species: Salmonella typhimurium LT2
- Rhee S, Parris K, Hyde C, Ahmed S, Miles E, Davies D. Crystal structures of a mutant (betaK87T) tryptophan synthase alpha2beta2 complex with ligands bound to the active sites of the alpha- and beta-subunits reveal ligand-induced conformational changes. Biochemistry. 1997;36:7664-80 pubmed publisher..These large-scale changes, the closure of loop 6, and the movements of a small number of side chains in the alpha-beta interaction site provide a structural base for interpreting the allosteric properties of tryptophan synthase...
- Rhee S, Miles E, Mozzarelli A, Davies D. Cryocrystallography and microspectrophotometry of a mutant (alpha D60N) tryptophan synthase alpha 2 beta 2 complex reveals allosteric roles of alpha Asp60. Biochemistry. 1998;37:10653-9 pubmed publisher..These observations show that alpha Asp60 plays important roles in the closure of loop 6 and in allosteric communication between the alpha- and beta-subunits...
- Ahmed S, Miles E, Davies D. Crystallization and preliminary X-ray crystallographic data of the tryptophan synthase alpha 2 beta 2 complex from Salmonella typhimurium. J Biol Chem. 1985;260:3716-8 pubmed..typhimurium alpha, holo-beta 2, and apo-beta 2 subunits do not crystallize under these conditions nor do the alpha 2 beta 2 complex or the alpha- or holo-beta 2 subunits from Escherichia coli or from an interspecies hybrid. ..
- Ngo H, Kimmich N, Harris R, Niks D, Blumenstein L, Kulik V, et al. Allosteric regulation of substrate channeling in tryptophan synthase: modulation of the L-serine reaction in stage I of the beta-reaction by alpha-site ligands. Biochemistry. 2007;46:7740-53 pubmed publisher..Harris, R., Kimmich, N., Casino, P., Niks, D., Blumenstein, L., Barends, T. R., Kulik, V., Weyand, M., Schlichting, I., and Dunn, M. F. (2007) Biochemistry 46, 7713-7727]...
- Weyand M, Schlichting I, Herde P, Marabotti A, Mozzarelli A. Crystal structure of the beta Ser178--> Pro mutant of tryptophan synthase. A "knock-out" allosteric enzyme. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:10653-60 pubmed..This effects the equilibrium between active and inactive conformations of the alpha-active site, altering k(cat) and K(m), and forms the structural basis for the missing allosteric communication between the alpha- and beta-subunits. ..
- Hilario E, Caulkins B, Huang Y, You W, Chang C, Mueller L, et al. Visualizing the tunnel in tryptophan synthase with crystallography: Insights into a selective filter for accommodating indole and rejecting water. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2016;1864:268-279 pubmed publisher..Flexible docking studies and MD simulations confirm that the dynamic behavior of Î²Phe280 allows unhindered transfer of indole through the tunnel, therefore excluding a gating role for this residue. ..
- Nichols B, Yanofsky C. Nucleotide sequences of trpA of Salmonella typhimurium and Escherichia coli: an evolutionary comparison. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1979;76:5244-8 pubmedThe complete nucleotide sequences of trpA of Salmonella typhimurium and Escherichia coli were determined. The nucleotide sequences are 24.8% divergent, compared with amino acid sequence divergence of 14.9%...
- Hyde C, Miles E. The tryptophan synthase multienzyme complex: exploring structure-function relationships with X-ray crystallography and mutagenesis. Biotechnology (N Y). 1990;8:27-32 pubmed..Recombinant DNA technology should also be useful in analyzing protein-protein interaction, protein folding and the channeling phenomenon. ..
- Weyand M, Schlichting I, Marabotti A, Mozzarelli A. Crystal structures of a new class of allosteric effectors complexed to tryptophan synthase. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:10647-52 pubmed..In this case, closure of loop alphaL6 is no longer observed, in agreement with its functioning only as an inhibitor of the alpha-subunit reaction. ..
- Rhee S, Miles E, Davies D. Cryo-crystallography of a true substrate, indole-3-glycerol phosphate, bound to a mutant (alphaD60N) tryptophan synthase alpha2beta2 complex reveals the correct orientation of active site alphaGlu49. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:8553-5 pubmed..Our results demonstrate how cryo-crystallography and mutagenesis can provide insight into enzyme mechanism. ..
- Crawford I, Nichols B, Yanofsky C. Nucleotide sequence of the trpB gene in Escherichia coli and Salmonella typhimurium. J Mol Biol. 1980;142:489-502 pubmed
- Li S, Yanofsky C. Amino acid sequence studies with the tryptophan synthetase chain of Salmonella typhimurium. J Biol Chem. 1973;248:1830-6 pubmed
- Weyand M, Schlichting I. Structural basis for the impaired channeling and allosteric inter-subunit communication in the beta A169L/beta C170W mutant of tryptophan synthase. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:41058-63 pubmed..The proposed structural dissection of the effects of each single mutation in the betaA169L/betaC170W mutant would explain the very different kinetics of this mutant and betaC170F. ..
- Sachpatzidis A, deAlwis C, Lubetsky J, Liang P, Anderson K, Lolis E. Crystallographic studies of phosphonate-based alpha-reaction transition-state analogues complexed to tryptophan synthase. Biochemistry. 1999;38:12665-74 pubmed..Implications for the mechanism of catalysis as well as directions for more potent inhibitors are discussed. ..
- Lu Z, Nagata S, McPhie P, Miles E. Lysine 87 in the beta subunit of tryptophan synthase that forms an internal aldimine with pyridoxal phosphate serves critical roles in transimination, catalysis, and product release. J Biol Chem. 1993;268:8727-34 pubmed
- Hyde C, Ahmed S, Padlan E, Miles E, Davies D. Three-dimensional structure of the tryptophan synthase alpha 2 beta 2 multienzyme complex from Salmonella typhimurium. J Biol Chem. 1988;263:17857-71 pubmed