Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: YPT7
Description: Rab family GTPase YPT7
Alias: AST4, VAM4, Rab family GTPase YPT7
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Kucharczyk R, Hoffman Sommer M, Piekarska I, von Mollard G, Rytka J. The Saccharomyces cerevisiae protein Ccz1p interacts with components of the endosomal fusion machinery. FEMS Yeast Res. 2009;9:565-73 pubmed publisher..The genes MON1 and YPT7 also interact genetically with PEP12...
- Hickey C, Stroupe C, Wickner W. The major role of the Rab Ypt7p in vacuole fusion is supporting HOPS membrane association. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:16118-25 pubmed publisher..Thus, although Ypt7p may contribute to other fusion functions, its central role is to bind HOPS to the membrane. ..
- Du L, Novick P. Yeast rab GTPase-activating protein Gyp1p localizes to the Golgi apparatus and is a negative regulator of Ypt1p. Mol Biol Cell. 2001;12:1215-26 pubmed..These results establish that Gyp1p functions on the Golgi as a negative regulator of Ypt1p. ..
- Haas A, Scheglmann D, Lazar T, Gallwitz D, Wickner W. The GTPase Ypt7p of Saccharomyces cerevisiae is required on both partner vacuoles for the homotypic fusion step of vacuole inheritance. EMBO J. 1995;14:5258-70 pubmed..Ypt7p is the first GTPase for which a direct role in organelle inheritance has been established. ..
- Cabrera M, Ostrowicz C, Mari M, LaGrassa T, Reggiori F, Ungermann C. Vps41 phosphorylation and the Rab Ypt7 control the targeting of the HOPS complex to endosome-vacuole fusion sites. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:1937-48 pubmed publisher..These two phenotypes can be rescued by overproduction of the vacuolar Rab Ypt7, revealing that both Ypt7 and Yck3-mediated phosphorylation modulate the Vps41 localization to the endosome-vacuole ..
- Kucharczyk R, Kierzek A, Slonimski P, Rytka J. The Ccz1 protein interacts with Ypt7 GTPase during fusion of multiple transport intermediates with the vacuole in S. cerevisiae. J Cell Sci. 2001;114:3137-45 pubmed..Here we present data indicating that CCZ1 is a close partner of the YPT7 gene, which encodes Rab GTPase and is required for fusion of transport vesicles to vacuole and homotypic vacuole ..
- Du L, Collins R, Novick P. Identification of a Sec4p GTPase-activating protein (GAP) as a novel member of a Rab GAP family. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:3253-6 pubmed..The finding that yeast Rab GAPs share homology with proteins in other species, such as Caenorhabditis elegans and human, suggests the existence of a conserved Rab GAP family. ..
- Seals D, Eitzen G, Margolis N, Wickner W, Price A. A Ypt/Rab effector complex containing the Sec1 homolog Vps33p is required for homotypic vacuole fusion. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2000;97:9402-7 pubmed..HOPS initially associates with vacuole SNAREs in "cis" and, after release by priming, hops to Ypt7p, activating this Ypt/Rab switch to initiate docking. ..
- Albert S, Gallwitz D. Msb4p, a protein involved in Cdc42p-dependent organization of the actin cytoskeleton, is a Ypt/Rab-specific GAP. Biol Chem. 2000;381:453-6 pubmed..Purified Msb4p/Gyp4p acts primarily on Sec4p, Ypt6p and Ypt7p and might have a role in polarized secretion. ..
- Wichmann H, Hengst L, Gallwitz D. Endocytosis in yeast: evidence for the involvement of a small GTP-binding protein (Ypt7p). Cell. 1992;71:1131-42 pubmedFrom the budding yeast S. cerevisiae, we have cloned a gene, YPT7, that encodes a GTP-binding protein belonging to the Ypt family of ras-related proteins...
- Nordmann M, Cabrera M, Perz A, Bröcker C, Ostrowicz C, Engelbrecht Vandré S, et al. The Mon1-Ccz1 complex is the GEF of the late endosomal Rab7 homolog Ypt7. Curr Biol. 2010;20:1654-9 pubmed publisher..At the late endosome, Rab7 activation is critical for endosomal maturation. The yeast Rab7 homolog Ypt7 binds to the homotypic fusion and protein sorting (HOPS) complex [10, 11]...
- Wang L, Merz A, Collins K, Wickner W. Hierarchy of protein assembly at the vertex ring domain for yeast vacuole docking and fusion. J Cell Biol. 2003;160:365-74 pubmed..Our findings provide a unique view of the functional relationships between GTPases, SNAREs, and actin in membrane fusion. ..
- Binda M, Péli Gulli M, Bonfils G, Panchaud N, Urban J, Sturgill T, et al. The Vam6 GEF controls TORC1 by activating the EGO complex. Mol Cell. 2009;35:563-73 pubmed publisher..Thus, in addition to its regulatory role in homotypic vacuolar fusion and vacuole protein sorting within the HOPS complex, Vam6 also controls TORC1 function by activating the Gtr1 subunit of the EGO complex. ..
- Price A, Seals D, Wickner W, Ungermann C. The docking stage of yeast vacuole fusion requires the transfer of proteins from a cis-SNARE complex to a Rab/Ypt protein. J Cell Biol. 2000;148:1231-8 pubmed..Thus, cis-SNARE complexes can contain Rab/Ypt effectors, and these effectors can be mobilized by NSF/Sec18p-driven priming, allowing their direct association with a Rab/Ypt protein to activate docking. ..
- Brett C, Plemel R, Lobingier B, Lobinger B, Vignali M, Fields S, et al. Efficient termination of vacuolar Rab GTPase signaling requires coordinated action by a GAP and a protein kinase. J Cell Biol. 2008;182:1141-51 pubmed publisher..Here, we show that the GTPase-activating protein Gyp7 inactivates the yeast vacuole Rab Ypt7 in vivo...
- Wang C, Stromhaug P, Kauffman E, Weisman L, Klionsky D. Yeast homotypic vacuole fusion requires the Ccz1-Mon1 complex during the tethering/docking stage. J Cell Biol. 2003;163:973-85 pubmed..Accordingly, we propose that the Ccz1-Mon1 complex is critical for the Ypt7-dependent tethering/docking stage leading to the formation of a trans-SNARE complex and subsequent vacuole fusion.
- Conibear E, Stevens T. Multiple sorting pathways between the late Golgi and the vacuole in yeast. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1998;1404:211-30 pubmed..Progress has also been made in further elucidating the members of the SNARE complexes that act in Golgi-to-PVC transport as well as those that mediate fusion with the vacuole. ..
- Will E, Albert S, Gallwitz D. Expression, purification, and biochemical properties of Ypt/Rab GTPase-activating proteins of Gyp family. Methods Enzymol. 2001;329:50-8 pubmed
- Piekarska I, Kucharczyk R, Mickowska B, Rytka J, Rempola B. Mutants of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae VPS genes CCZ1 and YPT7 are blocked in different stages of sporulation. Eur J Cell Biol. 2010;89:780-7 pubmed publisher..The mutant cells are defective in spindle formation as well as in duplication and/or separation of the SPBs. ypt7? cells, on the other hand, cannot execute DNA synthesis...
- Hoffman Sommer M, Kucharczyk R, Piekarska I, Kozlowska E, Rytka J. Mutations in the Saccharomyces cerevisiae vacuolar fusion proteins Ccz1, Mon1 and Ypt7 cause defects in cell cycle progression in a num1Delta background. Eur J Cell Biol. 2009;88:639-52 pubmed publisherThe proteins Ccz1 and Mon1 are known to function together with the Rab-GTPase Ypt7 in membrane fusion reactions at the yeast vacuole...
- H nscher C, Mari M, Auffarth K, Bohnert M, Griffith J, Geerts W, et al. Cellular metabolism regulates contact sites between vacuoles and mitochondria. Dev Cell. 2014;30:86-94 pubmed publisher..vCLAMPs depend on the vacuolar HOPS tethering complex subunit Vps39/Vam6 and the Rab GTPase Ypt7, which also participate in membrane fusion at the vacuole...
- Paulsel A, Merz A, Nickerson D. Vps9 family protein Muk1 is the second Rab5 guanosine nucleotide exchange factor in budding yeast. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:18162-71 pubmed publisher..Microscopy and overexpression experiments demonstrate that Vps9 and Muk1 have distinct localization determinants. These experiments establish Muk1 as the second Rab5 GEF in budding yeast. ..
- Liu T, Gomez T, Sackey B, Billadeau D, Burd C. Rab GTPase regulation of retromer-mediated cargo export during endosome maturation. Mol Biol Cell. 2012;23:2505-15 pubmed publisher..The retromer trimer subcomplex is an effector of Rab7 (Ypt7 in yeast)...
- Craven R, Mallory J, Hand R. Regulation of iron homeostasis mediated by the heme-binding protein Dap1 (damage resistance protein 1) via the P450 protein Erg11/Cyp51. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:36543-51 pubmed
- Xu H, Wickner W. Bem1p is a positive regulator of the homotypic fusion of yeast vacuoles. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:27158-66 pubmed..2005) Genes Dev. 19, 2606-2618), we did not find phosphorylation of Bem1p at Ser-72 to be required for Bem1p-stimulated fusion. Taken together, Bem1p is a positive regulator of lipid mixing during vacuole hemifusion and fusion. ..
- Calero M, Whittaker G, Collins R. Yop1p, the yeast homolog of the polyposis locus protein 1, interacts with Yip1p and negatively regulates cell growth. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:12100-12 pubmed..These results suggest that Yop1p acts in conjunction with Yip1p to mediate a common step in membrane traffic. ..
- Bugnicourt A, Froissard M, Sereti K, Ulrich H, Haguenauer Tsapis R, Galan J. Antagonistic roles of ESCRT and Vps class C/HOPS complexes in the recycling of yeast membrane proteins. Mol Biol Cell. 2004;15:4203-14 pubmed..Genetic analyses indicated that these phenotypes were due to the functioning of the Vps class C complex in trafficking both to and from the late endosomal compartment. ..
- Calero M, Winand N, Collins R. Identification of the novel proteins Yip4p and Yip5p as Rab GTPase interacting factors. FEBS Lett. 2002;515:89-98 pubmed
- Rana M, Lachmann J, Ungermann C. Identification of a Rab GTPase-activating protein cascade that controls recycling of the Rab5 GTPase Vps21 from the vacuole. Mol Biol Cell. 2015;26:2535-49 pubmed publisher..We provide evidence for a Rab cascade in which activation of the Rab7 homologue Ypt7 triggers inactivation of Vps21...
- Luan P, Balch W, Emr S, Burd C. Molecular dissection of guanine nucleotide dissociation inhibitor function in vivo. Rab-independent binding to membranes and role of Rab recycling factors. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:14806-17 pubmed
- Wu Y, Takar M, Cuentas Condori A, Graham T. Neo1 and phosphatidylethanolamine contribute to vacuole membrane fusion in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Cell Logist. 2016;6:e1228791 pubmed..A screen for multicopy suppressors of neo1-2ts growth defects yielded YPT7, which encodes a Rab7 homolog involved in SNARE-dependent vacuolar fusion...
- Lo S, Brett C, Plemel R, Vignali M, Fields S, Gonen T, et al. Intrinsic tethering activity of endosomal Rab proteins. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2011;19:40-7 pubmed publisher..In our working model, the intrinsic tethering capacity Vps21 operates in concert with conventional effectors and SNAREs to drive efficient docking and fusion. ..
- Gilbert P, Burd C. GDP dissociation inhibitor domain II required for Rab GTPase recycling. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:8014-20 pubmed..We conclude that Domain II of Gdi1p is essential for Rab loading and Rab extraction, and confirm that each of these activities is required for Gdi1p function in vivo. ..
- Sato K, Wickner W. Functional reconstitution of ypt7p GTPase and a purified vacuole SNARE complex. Science. 1998;281:700-2 pubmed..Thus, solubilized integral membrane components can be reconstituted for priming, docking, and fusion steps of organelle trafficking. ..
- Tsvetanova N, Riordan D, Brown P. The yeast Rab GTPase Ypt1 modulates unfolded protein response dynamics by regulating the stability of HAC1 RNA. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1002862 pubmed publisher..Our findings establish that Ypt1 contributes to regulation of UPR signaling dynamics by promoting the decay of HAC1 RNA, suggesting a potential regulatory mechanism for linking vesicle trafficking to the UPR and ER homeostasis. ..
- Russell M, Shideler T, Nickerson D, West M, Odorizzi G. Class E compartments form in response to ESCRT dysfunction in yeast due to hyperactivity of the Vps21 Rab GTPase. J Cell Sci. 2012;125:5208-20 pubmed publisher..b>Ypt7, the yeast ortholog of Rab7 that in metazoans promotes fusion of late endosomes with lysosomes, also accumulates at ..
- Tsujimoto Y, Takase D, Okano H, Tomari N, Watanabe K, Matsui H. Functional roles of YPT31 and YPT32 in clotrimazole resistance of Saccharomyces cerevisiae through effects on vacuoles and ATP-binding cassette transporter(s). J Biosci Bioeng. 2013;115:4-11 pubmed publisher..following vesicular trafficking: Golgi traffic (kes1, trs33, trs65, gyp1, trs85, and gyp2), vacuole inheritance (ypt7), endocytosis (rcy1 and ypt51) and exocytosis (msb3 and msb4)...
- Calero M, Collins R. Saccharomyces cerevisiae Pra1p/Yip3p interacts with Yip1p and Rab proteins. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2002;290:676-81 pubmed..The interactions between Pra1p/Yip3p and Rab proteins are dependent on the presence of the Rab protein C-terminal cysteines and require C-terminal prenylation. ..
- Cabrera M, Ungermann C. Guanine nucleotide exchange factors (GEFs) have a critical but not exclusive role in organelle localization of Rab GTPases. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:28704-12 pubmed publisher..Several Rabs, such as vacuolar Ypt7, were found at the endoplasmic reticulum and thus were still membrane-bound...
- Hoffman Sommer M, Migdalski A, Rytka J, Kucharczyk R. Multiple functions of the vacuolar sorting protein Ccz1p in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2005;329:197-204 pubmed..The mechanisms of Ca(2+)-pump-mediated suppression also differ from each other, since the action of Pmr1p, but not Pmc1p, appears to require Arl1p function. ..
- Maeda Y, Oku M, Sakai Y. A defect of the vacuolar putative lipase Atg15 accelerates degradation of lipid droplets through lipolysis. Autophagy. 2015;11:1247-58 pubmed publisher..Our data provide evidence for a novel link between autophagic flux and LD dynamics integrated with Atg15 activity. ..
- Zick M, Wickner W. Phosphorylation of the effector complex HOPS by the vacuolar kinase Yck3p confers Rab nucleotide specificity for vacuole docking and fusion. Mol Biol Cell. 2012;23:3429-37 pubmed publisher..In either case, the net conversion of Ypt7:GTP to Ypt7:GDP has no effect on HOPS binding or activity but blocks fusion mediated by phosphorylated HOPS...
- Numrich J, PÃ©li Gulli M, Arlt H, Sardu A, Griffith J, Levine T, et al. The I-BAR protein Ivy1 is an effector of the Rab7 GTPase Ypt7 involved in vacuole membrane homeostasis. J Cell Sci. 2015;128:2278-92 pubmed publisherMembrane fusion at the vacuole depends on a conserved machinery that includes SNAREs, the Rab7 homolog Ypt7 and its effector HOPS...
- Sasser T, Lawrence G, Karunakaran S, Brown C, Fratti R. The yeast ATP-binding cassette (ABC) transporter Ycf1p enhances the recruitment of the soluble SNARE Vam7p to vacuoles for efficient membrane fusion. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:18300-10 pubmed publisher..The attenuated fusion of ycf1? vacuoles was rescued by the addition of recombinant Vam7p to in vitro experiments. Thus, Ycf1p contributes in the recruitment of Vam7p to the vacuole for efficient membrane fusion. ..
- Starai V, Jun Y, Wickner W. Excess vacuolar SNAREs drive lysis and Rab bypass fusion. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:13551-8 pubmed..Rabs function in normal membrane fusion by concentrating SNAREs, other proteins (e.g., SM), and key lipids at a fusion site and activating them for fusion without lysis. ..
- Cabrera M, Nordmann M, Perz A, Schmedt D, Gerondopoulos A, Barr F, et al. The Mon1-Ccz1 GEF activates the Rab7 GTPase Ypt7 via a longin-fold-Rab interface and association with PI3P-positive membranes. J Cell Sci. 2014;127:1043-51 pubmed publisher..identified the conserved Mon1-Ccz1 complex as the guanine nucleotide exchange factor (GEF) of the yeast Rab7 GTPase Ypt7. To address the possible GEF mechanism, we generated a homology model of the predicted longin domains of Mon1 and ..
- Lachmann J, Barr F, Ungermann C. The Msb3/Gyp3 GAP controls the activity of the Rab GTPases Vps21 and Ypt7 at endosomes and vacuoles. Mol Biol Cell. 2012;23:2516-26 pubmed publisher..Surprisingly, Msb3 also inhibits vacuole fusion, which can be rescued by the Ypt7 GDP-GTP exchange factor (GEF), the Mon1-Ccz1 complex...