Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: YPT6
Description: Rab family GTPase YPT6
Alias: Rab family GTPase YPT6
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Calero M, Collins R. Saccharomyces cerevisiae Pra1p/Yip3p interacts with Yip1p and Rab proteins. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2002;290:676-81 pubmed..The interactions between Pra1p/Yip3p and Rab proteins are dependent on the presence of the Rab protein C-terminal cysteines and require C-terminal prenylation. ..
- Li B, Warner J. Genetic interaction between YPT6 and YPT1 in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Yeast. 1998;14:915-22 pubmed..Here we show that overexpression of YPT1 suppresses the growth and secretion defects of a ypt6 temperature-sensitive (ts) strain...
- Will E, Albert S, Gallwitz D. Expression, purification, and biochemical properties of Ypt/Rab GTPase-activating proteins of Gyp family. Methods Enzymol. 2001;329:50-8 pubmed
- Gendre D, Oh J, Boutté Y, Best J, Samuels L, Nilsson R, et al. Conserved Arabidopsis ECHIDNA protein mediates trans-Golgi-network trafficking and cell elongation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:8048-53 pubmed publisher..Hence, ECH is an evolutionarily conserved component of the TGN with a central role in TGN structure and function. ..
- Ali R, Brett C, Mukherjee S, Rao R. Inhibition of sodium/proton exchange by a Rab-GTPase-activating protein regulates endosomal traffic in yeast. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:4498-506 pubmed..Taken together with its GTPase-activating protein-dependent role as a negative regulator of Ypt6-mediated retrograde traffic to the Golgi, we propose that Gyp6 coordinates upstream and downstream events in the ..
- Fridmann Sirkis Y, Siniossoglou S, Pelham H. TMF is a golgin that binds Rab6 and influences Golgi morphology. BMC Cell Biol. 2004;5:18 pubmed..We show here that the yeast protein Sgm1, previously shown to be recruited to the Golgi by the GTPase Ypt6, binds to Ypt6:GTP via a conserved 100-residue coiled-coil motif that can be identified in a wide range of ..
- Ohashi Y, Munro S. Membrane delivery to the yeast autophagosome from the Golgi-endosomal system. Mol Biol Cell. 2010;21:3998-4008 pubmed publisher..This is underestimated by examination of single mutants, providing a possible explanation for discrepancies between yeast and mammalian studies on Atg9 localization and autophagosome formation. ..
- Paulsel A, Merz A, Nickerson D. Vps9 family protein Muk1 is the second Rab5 guanosine nucleotide exchange factor in budding yeast. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:18162-71 pubmed publisher..Microscopy and overexpression experiments demonstrate that Vps9 and Muk1 have distinct localization determinants. These experiments establish Muk1 as the second Rab5 GEF in budding yeast. ..
- Kishimoto T, Yamamoto T, Tanaka K. Defects in structural integrity of ergosterol and the Cdc50p-Drs2p putative phospholipid translocase cause accumulation of endocytic membranes, onto which actin patches are assembled in yeast. Mol Biol Cell. 2005;16:5592-609 pubmed..Simultaneous loss of both phospholipid asymmetry and sterol structural integrity could lead to accumulation of endocytic intermediates capable of initiating assembly of actin patches in the cytoplasm. ..
- Hsu J, Chang L, Jang L, Huang C, Lee F. The N-terminus of Vps74p is essential for the retention of glycosyltransferases in the Golgi but not for the modulation of apical polarized growth in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e74715 pubmed publisher..Thus, we propose that Vps74p may use different domains to interact with specific effectors thereby differentially modulating a variety of cellular functions. ..
- Lafourcade C, Galan J, Gloor Y, Haguenauer Tsapis R, Peter M. The GTPase-activating enzyme Gyp1p is required for recycling of internalized membrane material by inactivation of the Rab/Ypt GTPase Ypt1p. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:3815-26 pubmed..Interestingly, the deletions of GYP1 and YPT6 were synthetic lethal, raising the possibility that at least two distinct pathways are involved in recycling of ..
- Strom M, Vollmer P, Tan T, Gallwitz D. A yeast GTPase-activating protein that interacts specifically with a member of the Ypt/Rab family. Nature. 1993;361:736-9 pubmed..We report here the first cloned GTPase-activating protein for the Ypt/Rab protein family. The gene, GYP6 (GAP of Ypt6 protein), encodes a protein of 458 amino acids which is highly specific for the Ypt6 protein and shows little or no ..
- Webster M, McCaffery J, COHEN FIX O. Vesicle trafficking maintains nuclear shape in Saccharomyces cerevisiae during membrane proliferation. J Cell Biol. 2010;191:1079-88 pubmed publisher..Moreover, flares may facilitate maintenance of a constant nuclear/cell volume ratio in the face of altered membrane proliferation. ..
- Georgiev A, Leipus A, Olsson I, Berrez J, Mutvei A. Characterization of MYR1, a dosage suppressor of YPT6 and RIC1 deficient mutants. Curr Genet. 2008;53:235-47 pubmed publisher..One member of this family is the Saccharomyces cerevisae protein Ypt6. To search for new genes interacting with Ypt6-related pathways, we performed a genetic screen for high copy ..
- Chen C, Collins R. Insights into biological functions across species: examining the role of Rab proteins in YIP1 family function. Biochem Soc Trans. 2005;33:614-8 pubmed..e. independent or dependent activities of Yip1p. ..
- Calero M, Chen C, Zhu W, Winand N, Havas K, Gilbert P, et al. Dual prenylation is required for Rab protein localization and function. Mol Biol Cell. 2003;14:1852-67 pubmed
- Suvorova E, Duden R, Lupashin V. The Sec34/Sec35p complex, a Ypt1p effector required for retrograde intra-Golgi trafficking, interacts with Golgi SNAREs and COPI vesicle coat proteins. J Cell Biol. 2002;157:631-43 pubmed..We propose that the Sec34/35 protein complex acts as a tether that connects cis-Golgi membranes and COPI-coated, retrogradely targeted intra-Golgi vesicles. ..
- Lazar T, Gotte M, Gallwitz D. Vesicular transport: how many Ypt/Rab-GTPases make a eukaryotic cell?. Trends Biochem Sci. 1997;22:468-72 pubmed..There is some redundancy among the 11 Ypt proteins, and only those involved in the biosynthetic pathway are essential for cell viability. ..
- Maresova L, Vydarený T, Sychrova H. Comparison of the influence of small GTPases Arl1 and Ypt6 on yeast cells' tolerance to various stress factors. FEMS Yeast Res. 2012;12:332-40 pubmed publisherThe GTPases Arl1 and Ypt6 are involved in the intracellular transport of vesicles and their fusion with the trans-Golgi network...
- Albert S, Gallwitz D. Two new members of a family of Ypt/Rab GTPase activating proteins. Promiscuity of substrate recognition. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:33186-9 pubmed..The results demonstrate that in yeast there is a large family of Ypt/Rab-GAPs, members of which discriminate poorly between GTPases involved in regulating different steps of exo- and endocytic transport routes. ..
- Yang S, Rosenwald A. Autophagy in Saccharomyces cerevisiae requires the monomeric GTP-binding proteins, Arl1 and Ypt6. Autophagy. 2016;12:1721-1737 pubmed..Here we demonstrate that 2 monomeric GTP-binding proteins in Saccharomyces cerevisiae, Arl1 and Ypt6, which belong to the Arf/Arl/Sar protein family and the Rab family, respectively, and control endosome-trans-Golgi ..
- Soper J, Kehm V, Burd C, Bankaitis V, Lee V. Aggregation of ?-synuclein in S. cerevisiae is associated with defects in endosomal trafficking and phospholipid biosynthesis. J Mol Neurosci. 2011;43:391-405 pubmed publisher..Significantly, we demonstrate that ?-synuclein expression induces vulnerability to perturbations of Ypt6 and other proteins involved in retrograde endosome-Golgi transport, linking a specific trafficking defect to ?-..
- Calero M, Whittaker G, Collins R. Yop1p, the yeast homolog of the polyposis locus protein 1, interacts with Yip1p and negatively regulates cell growth. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:12100-12 pubmed..These results suggest that Yop1p acts in conjunction with Yip1p to mediate a common step in membrane traffic. ..
- Suda Y, Kurokawa K, Hirata R, Nakano A. Rab GAP cascade regulates dynamics of Ypt6 in the Golgi traffic. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:18976-81 pubmed publisher..Here, we report the dynamics of Ypt6, a yeast member of the Rab GTPase family, which mediates the fusion of vesicles from endosomes at the Golgi ..
- Kawamura S, Nagano M, Toshima J, Toshima J. Analysis of subcellular localization and function of the yeast Rab6 homologue, Ypt6p, using a novel amino-terminal tagging strategy. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2014;450:519-25 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the GTP-binding activity of Ypt6p is necessary for intra-Golgi trafficking and protein recycling in the early Golgi compartment. ..
- Yang S, Rosenwald A. A High Copy Suppressor Screen for Autophagy Defects in Saccharomyces arl1? and ypt6? Strains. G3 (Bethesda). 2017;7:333-341 pubmed publisherIn Saccharomyces cerevisiae, Arl1 and Ypt6, two small GTP-binding proteins that regulate membrane traffic in the secretory and endocytic pathways, are also necessary for autophagy...
- Lauwers E, Jacob C, Andre B. K63-linked ubiquitin chains as a specific signal for protein sorting into the multivesicular body pathway. J Cell Biol. 2009;185:493-502 pubmed publisher..Our data reveal that K63-linked Ub chains act as a specific signal for MVB sorting, providing further insight into the Ub code of membrane protein trafficking. ..
- Kurischko C, Kuravi V, Wannissorn N, Nazarov P, Husain M, Zhang C, et al. The yeast LATS/Ndr kinase Cbk1 regulates growth via Golgi-dependent glycosylation and secretion. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:5559-78 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that an important function for Cbk1 and the RAM signaling network is to regulate growth and secretion via Golgi and Sec2/Sec4-dependent processes. ..
- Inadome H, Noda Y, Kamimura Y, Adachi H, Yoda K. Tvp38, Tvp23, Tvp18 and Tvp15: novel membrane proteins in the Tlg2-containing Golgi/endosome compartments of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Exp Cell Res. 2007;313:688-97 pubmed..Disruptions of tvp15 and tvp23 showed synthetic aggravation with ypt6 or ric1 null mutation...
- Chen C, Calero M, DeRegis C, Heidtman M, Barlowe C, Collins R. Genetic analysis of yeast Yip1p function reveals a requirement for Golgi-localized rab proteins and rab-Guanine nucleotide dissociation inhibitor. Genetics. 2004;168:1827-41 pubmed
- Will E, Gallwitz D. Biochemical characterization of Gyp6p, a Ypt/Rab-specific GTPase-activating protein from yeast. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:12135-9 pubmed..Physical interaction of the catalytically inactive Gyp6(R155A) mutant GAP with Ypt6 wild-type and Ypt6 mutant proteins could be demonstrated with the two-hybrid system...
- Li Y, Schmitt H, Gallwitz D, Peng R. Mutations of the SM protein Sly1 resulting in bypass of GTPase requirement in vesicular transport are confined to a short helical region. FEBS Lett. 2007;581:5698-702 pubmed..Here, we describe new mutants of the yeast SM protein Sly1 that specifically bypass the need for GTPases Ypt1 and Ypt6 in vesicular transport...
- Benjamin J, Poon P, Drysdale J, Wang X, Singer R, Johnston G. Dysregulated Arl1, a regulator of post-Golgi vesicle tethering, can inhibit endosomal transport and cell proliferation in yeast. Mol Biol Cell. 2011;22:2337-47 pubmed publisher..We show that gene deletions affecting the Arl1 or Ypt6 vesicle-tethering pathways prevent Arl1 activation and membrane localization, and restore growth and trafficking in ..
- Guo J, Polymenis M. Dcr2 targets Ire1 and downregulates the unfolded protein response in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. EMBO Rep. 2006;7:1124-7 pubmed..Our results are consistent with de-phosphorylation of Ire1 being a mechanism for antagonizing UPR signalling. ..
- Siniossoglou S. Affinity purification of Ypt6 effectors and identification of TMF/ARA160 as a Rab6 interactor. Methods Enzymol. 2005;403:599-607 pubmed..In budding yeast Ypt6 is required for recycling of membrane proteins from endosomes back to the Golgi...
- Upadhya R, Lee J, Willis I. Maf1 is an essential mediator of diverse signals that repress RNA polymerase III transcription. Mol Cell. 2002;10:1489-94 pubmed..Biochemical studies identified the initiation factor TFIIIB as a target of Maf1-dependent repression and revealed a defect in TFIIIB-DNA complex assembly under repressing conditions. ..
- Calero M, Winand N, Collins R. Identification of the novel proteins Yip4p and Yip5p as Rab GTPase interacting factors. FEBS Lett. 2002;515:89-98 pubmed
- Albert S, Gallwitz D. Msb4p, a protein involved in Cdc42p-dependent organization of the actin cytoskeleton, is a Ypt/Rab-specific GAP. Biol Chem. 2000;381:453-6 pubmed..Purified Msb4p/Gyp4p acts primarily on Sec4p, Ypt6p and Ypt7p and might have a role in polarized secretion. ..
- Lo S, Brett C, Plemel R, Vignali M, Fields S, Gonen T, et al. Intrinsic tethering activity of endosomal Rab proteins. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2011;19:40-7 pubmed publisher..In our working model, the intrinsic tethering capacity Vps21 operates in concert with conventional effectors and SNAREs to drive efficient docking and fusion. ..