Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: YKU80
Description: ATP-dependent DNA helicase YKU80
Alias: HDF2, ATP-dependent DNA helicase YKU80
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Fisher T, Taggart A, Zakian V. Cell cycle-dependent regulation of yeast telomerase by Ku. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2004;11:1198-205 pubmed..These data support a model in which Ku recruits telomerase to telomeres in G1 phase when telomerase is inactive and promotes telomerase-mediated telomere lengthening in late S phase. ..
- Schober H, Ferreira H, Kalck V, Gehlen L, Gasser S. Yeast telomerase and the SUN domain protein Mps3 anchor telomeres and repress subtelomeric recombination. Genes Dev. 2009;23:928-38 pubmed publisher..yeast telomerase subunits Est2, Est1, and Tlc1 is shown to be necessary for the perinuclear anchoring activity of Yku80 during S phase...
- Grandin N, Damon C, Charbonneau M. Cdc13 cooperates with the yeast Ku proteins and Stn1 to regulate telomerase recruitment. Mol Cell Biol. 2000;20:8397-408 pubmed..Est2/TLC1) and Est1, a direct regulator of telomerase, but also on the yeast Ku proteins, yKu70/Hdf1 and yKu80/Hdf2, that have been previously implicated in DNA repair and telomere maintenance...
- Boulton S, Jackson S. Identification of a Saccharomyces cerevisiae Ku80 homologue: roles in DNA double strand break rejoining and in telomeric maintenance. Nucleic Acids Res. 1996;24:4639-48 pubmed..Here, we describe the identification and characterisation of YKU80, the gene for the Saccharomyces cerevisiae Ku80 homologue...
- Banerjee S, Smith S, Myung K. Suppression of gross chromosomal rearrangements by yKu70-yKu80 heterodimer through DNA damage checkpoints. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:1816-21 pubmed..To understand the mechanism of Ku as a genome gatekeeper, we overexpressed the yKu70-yKu80 heterodimer and monitored the formation of GCRs...
- Marvin M, Griffin C, Eyre D, Barton D, Louis E. In Saccharomyces cerevisiae, yKu and subtelomeric core X sequences repress homologous recombination near telomeres as part of the same pathway. Genetics. 2009;183:441-51, 1SI-12SI pubmed publisher..b>YKU80 was hit most frequently in our screen, and we show that the yKu heterodimer specifically represses HR in the ..
- Luciano P, Coulon S, Faure V, Corda Y, Bos J, Brill S, et al. RPA facilitates telomerase activity at chromosome ends in budding and fission yeasts. EMBO J. 2012;31:2034-46 pubmed publisher..Finally, we show that the RPA/telomerase association and function are conserved in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Our results indicate that in both yeasts, RPA directly facilitates telomerase activity at chromosome ends...
- Ribes Zamora A, Mihalek I, Lichtarge O, Bertuch A. Distinct faces of the Ku heterodimer mediate DNA repair and telomeric functions. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2007;14:301-7 pubmed..We propose a 'two-face' model for Ku and that divergent evolution of these faces allowed Ku's dual role in NHEJ and telomere maintenance. ..
- Patterson E, Fox C. The Ku complex in silencing the cryptic mating-type loci of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2008;180:771-83 pubmed publisher..A screen to elucidate SIR1-independent mechanisms that establish HMR silencing identified a mutation in YKU80. The role for Ku in silencing both HMR and HML was masked by SIR1...
- Taddei A, Hediger F, Neumann F, Bauer C, Gasser S. Separation of silencing from perinuclear anchoring functions in yeast Ku80, Sir4 and Esc1 proteins. EMBO J. 2004;23:1301-12 pubmed..Using fusions that cannot silence, we identify YKu80 and a 312-aa domain of Sir4 (Sir4(PAD)) as minimal anchoring elements, each able to relocalize an internal ..
- Nugent C, Bosco G, Ross L, Evans S, Salinger A, Moore J, et al. Telomere maintenance is dependent on activities required for end repair of double-strand breaks. Curr Biol. 1998;8:657-60 pubmed..Ku, Cdc13 and telomerase define three epistasis groups required in parallel for telomere maintenance. ..
- Roy R, Meier B, McAinsh A, Feldmann H, Jackson S. Separation-of-function mutants of yeast Ku80 reveal a Yku80p-Sir4p interaction involved in telomeric silencing. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:86-94 pubmed..Taken together with other data, these findings indicate that the Yku80p-Sir4p interaction plays a vital role in the assembly of telomeric heterochromatin. ..
- Myung K, Chen C, Kolodner R. Multiple pathways cooperate in the suppression of genome instability in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Nature. 2001;411:1073-6 pubmed..Mutations that inactivate these pathways cause high rates of GCRs and show synergistic interactions, indicating that the pathways that suppress GCRs all compete for the same DNA substrates. ..
- Marvin M, Becker M, Noel P, Hardy S, Bertuch A, Louis E. The association of yKu with subtelomeric core X sequences prevents recombination involving telomeric sequences. Genetics. 2009;183:453-67, 1SI-13SI pubmed publisher..Using yku80 separation-of-function mutants, we show a direct correlation between core X binding and recombination rate...
- Wu T, Chiang Y, Lin Y, Tsai C, Yu T, Sung M, et al. Sequential loading of Saccharomyces cerevisiae Ku and Cdc13p to telomeres. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:12801-8 pubmed publisher..Our results also offer a mechanism that the binding of Cdc13p to telomeres might prevent Yku from initiating DNA double-stranded break repair pathway on telomeres. ..
- Stellwagen A, Haimberger Z, Veatch J, Gottschling D. Ku interacts with telomerase RNA to promote telomere addition at native and broken chromosome ends. Genes Dev. 2003;17:2384-95 pubmed..Thus, the interaction between Ku and TLC1 RNA enables telomerase to act at both broken and normal chromosome ends. ..
- Lopez C, Ribes Zamora A, Indiviglio S, Williams C, Haricharan S, Bertuch A. Ku must load directly onto the chromosome end in order to mediate its telomeric functions. PLoS Genet. 2011;7:e1002233 pubmed publisher..The extensive telomere defects observed in these mutants lead us to propose that Ku is an integral component of the terminal telomeric cap, where it promotes a specific architecture that is central to telomere function and maintenance. ..
- Tong X, Li Q, Duan Y, Liu N, Zhang M, Zhou J. Est1 protects telomeres and inhibits subtelomeric y'-element recombination. Mol Cell Biol. 2011;31:1263-74 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that one major functional role that Est1 brings to the telomerase complex is the capping or protection of telomeres. ..
- Pfingsten J, Goodrich K, Taabazuing C, Ouenzar F, Chartrand P, Cech T. Mutually exclusive binding of telomerase RNA and DNA by Ku alters telomerase recruitment model. Cell. 2012;148:922-32 pubmed publisher..These findings force reconsideration of the mechanisms by which Ku assists in recruiting telomerase to natural telomeres and broken chromosome ends. PAPERCLIP: ..
- Martin S, Laroche T, Suka N, Grunstein M, Gasser S. Relocalization of telomeric Ku and SIR proteins in response to DNA strand breaks in yeast. Cell. 1999;97:621-33 pubmed..Consistently, yKu- or SIR-deficient strains are hypersensitive to DNA-damaging agents. The release of yKu from telomeric chromatin may allow efficient scanning of the genome for DNA strand breaks. ..
- KALIFA L, Quintana D, Schiraldi L, Phadnis N, Coles G, Sia R, et al. Mitochondrial genome maintenance: roles for nuclear nonhomologous end-joining proteins in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2012;190:951-64 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, our data support homologous recombination (HR) as the predominant pathway by which mtDNA deletions arise in yeast, and suggest that the MRX and Ku70/80 complexes are partially redundant in mitochondria. ..
- Vodenicharov M, Laterreur N, Wellinger R. Telomere capping in non-dividing yeast cells requires Yku and Rap1. EMBO J. 2010;29:3007-19 pubmed publisher..Together, our results show a high flexibility of the telomeric cap and suggest that distinct configurations may provide for efficient capping in dividing versus non-dividing cells. ..
- Fritsch O, Burkhalter M, Kais S, Sogo J, Schär P. DNA ligase 4 stabilizes the ribosomal DNA array upon fork collapse at the replication fork barrier. DNA Repair (Amst). 2010;9:879-88 pubmed publisher..Consistently, dnl4 cells displayed altered fork structures at the replication fork barrier, leading us to propose an as yet unrecognized role for Dnl4 in the maintenance of ribosomal DNA stability. ..
- Shim E, Ma J, Oum J, Yanez Y, Lee S. The yeast chromatin remodeler RSC complex facilitates end joining repair of DNA double-strand breaks. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:3934-44 pubmed..The interaction of Rsc1p with Mre11p appears to be vital for survival from genotoxic stress. These results suggest that chromatin remodeling by RSC is important for NHEJ. ..
- Krishna S, Wagener B, Liu H, Lo Y, Sterk R, Petrini J, et al. Mre11 and Ku regulation of double-strand break repair by gene conversion and break-induced replication. DNA Repair (Amst). 2007;6:797-808 pubmed..BIR is also elevated in rad51 mutants, but yku70Delta did not suppress BIR in a rad51 background. These results indicate that Mre11 functions in Rad51-independent BIR, and that Ku functions in Rad51-dependent BIR. ..
- Bilsland E, Hult M, Bell S, Sunnerhagen P, Downs J. The Bre5/Ubp3 ubiquitin protease complex from budding yeast contributes to the cellular response to DNA damage. DNA Repair (Amst). 2007;6:1471-84 pubmed..Additionally, we have generated mutants of Bre5 that are specifically defective in DNA damage responses. ..
- Pasupala N, Easwaran S, Hannan A, Shore D, Mishra K. The SUMO E3 ligase Siz2 exerts a locus-dependent effect on gene silencing in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Eukaryot Cell. 2012;11:452-62 pubmed publisher..These data support the idea that sumoylation of specific substrates at the nuclear periphery regulates the availability of Sir2 protein at telomeres. ..
- Peng J, He M, Duan Y, Liu Y, Zhou J. Inhibition of telomere recombination by inactivation of KEOPS subunit Cgi121 promotes cell longevity. PLoS Genet. 2015;11:e1005071 pubmed publisher..Deletion of CGI121 in the short-lived yku80(tel) mutant restores lifespan to cgi121Î” level, supporting the function of Cgi121 in telomeric single-stranded ..
- Meier B, Driller L, Jaklin S, Feldmann H. New function of CDC13 in positive telomere length regulation. Mol Cell Biol. 2001;21:4233-45 pubmed..Therefore we discuss a key role of CDC13 not only in telomerase recruitment but also in regulating telomerase access, which might be modulated by protein-protein interactions acting as inhibitors or activators of telomerase activity. ..
- Vega L, Phillips J, Thornton B, Benanti J, Onigbanjo M, Toczyski D, et al. Sensitivity of yeast strains with long G-tails to levels of telomere-bound telomerase. PLoS Genet. 2007;3:e105 pubmed..dramatically reduced viability in five strains with impaired end protection (cdc13-1, yku80Delta, yku70Delta, yku80-1, and yku80-4), all of which have longer single-strand G-tails than wild-type cells...
- Hang L, Lopez C, Liu X, Williams J, Chung I, Wei L, et al. Regulation of Ku-DNA association by Yku70 C-terminal tail and SUMO modification. J Biol Chem. 2014;289:10308-17 pubmed publisher..These results suggest a model whereby Yku70 sumoylation upon DNA association strengthens Ku-DNA interaction to promote multiple functions of Ku. ..
- Clerici M, Mantiero D, Guerini I, Lucchini G, Longhese M. The Yku70-Yku80 complex contributes to regulate double-strand break processing and checkpoint activation during the cell cycle. EMBO Rep. 2008;9:810-8 pubmed publisher..Here, we show that a lack of any of the NHEJ proteins Yku (Yku70-Yku80), Lif1 or DNA ligase IV (Dnl4) increases 5' DSB end degradation in G1 phase, with ykuDelta cells showing the ..
- Park S, Patterson E, Cobb J, Audhya A, Gartenberg M, Fox C. Palmitoylation controls the dynamics of budding-yeast heterochromatin via the telomere-binding protein Rif1. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:14572-7 pubmed publisher..These data supported a model in which Pfa4-dependent palmitoylation of Rif1 anchored it to the inner nuclear membrane, influencing its role in heterochromatin dynamics. ..
- Thrower D, Bloom K. Dicentric chromosome stretching during anaphase reveals roles of Sir2/Ku in chromatin compaction in budding yeast. Mol Biol Cell. 2001;12:2800-12 pubmed..In cells deleted for yKU70, yKU80, or SIR2, a 10-kb region of the dicentric chromosome stretched along the spindle axis to a length of 6 microm ..
- Coïc E, Sun K, Wu C, Haber J. Cell cycle-dependent regulation of Saccharomyces cerevisiae donor preference during mating-type switching by SBF (Swi4/Swi6) and Fkh1. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:5470-80 pubmed..In addition, the putative helicase Chl1, previously involved in donor preference, functions in the SBF pathway. ..
- Zhang W, Durocher D. De novo telomere formation is suppressed by the Mec1-dependent inhibition of Cdc13 accumulation at DNA breaks. Genes Dev. 2010;24:502-15 pubmed publisher..These studies therefore identify a mechanism by which the ATR family of kinases enforces genome integrity, and a process that underscores the contribution of Cdc13 to the fate of DNA ends. ..
- Hegde V, Klein H. Requirement for the SRS2 DNA helicase gene in non-homologous end joining in yeast. Nucleic Acids Res. 2000;28:2779-83 pubmed..However, NHEJ of blunt ends, while very inefficient, is not further reduced by mutations in YKU70, SIR2, SIR3, SIR4 or SRS2, suggesting that this rejoining process occurs by a different mechanism. ..
- Meng F, Hu Y, Shen N, Tong X, Wang J, Ding J, et al. Sua5p a single-stranded telomeric DNA-binding protein facilitates telomere replication. EMBO J. 2009;28:1466-78 pubmed publisher..Thus, Sua5p represents a novel ssTG DNA-binding protein and positively regulates the telomere length in vivo. ..
- Choudhury S, Asefa B, Kauler P, Chow T. Synergistic effect of TRM2/RNC1 and EXO1 in DNA double-strand break repair in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Cell Biochem. 2007;304:127-34 pubmed..These data indicate a defective processing in absence of TRM2, with a synergistic effect of TRM2, and EXO1 in such processing. ..
- Laporte D, Courtout F, Tollis S, Sagot I. Quiescent Saccharomyces cerevisiae forms telomere hyperclusters at the nuclear membrane vicinity through a multifaceted mechanism involving Esc1, the Sir complex, and chromatin condensation. Mol Biol Cell. 2016;27:1875-84 pubmed publisher..Finally, we establish that telomere hypercluster formation is not necessary for quiescence establishment, maintenance, and exit, raising the question of the physiological raison d'être of this nuclear reorganization. ..
- Halas A, Baranowska H, Podlaska A, Sledziewska Gojska E. Evaluation of the roles of Pol zeta and NHEJ in starvation-associated spontaneous mutagenesis in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Curr Genet. 2009;55:245-51 pubmed publisher..and frameshifts, using yeast mutants carrying deletions of REV3 (encoding the catalytic subunit of Pol zeta), YKU80 (encoding a protein involved in the initiation of NHEJ), or both genes...
- Ruan C, Workman J, Simpson R. The DNA repair protein yKu80 regulates the function of recombination enhancer during yeast mating type switching. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:8476-85 pubmed..Chromatin immunoprecipitation assays confirmed its occupancy in vivo. Deletion of YKU80 results in altered chromatin structure in the RE region and more importantly causes a dramatic decrease of HML ..
- Lee J, Mandell E, Tucey T, Morris D, Lundblad V. The Est3 protein associates with yeast telomerase through an OB-fold domain. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2008;15:990-7 pubmed..Our analysis of Est3 may be instructive in generating comparable missense mutations on the surface of the OB-fold domain of TPP1. ..
- Ungar L, Harari Y, Toren A, Kupiec M. Tor complex 1 controls telomere length by affecting the level of Ku. Curr Biol. 2011;21:2115-20 pubmed publisher..We discuss the potential implications for the usage of rapamycin as a therapeutic agent against cancer and the effect that calorie restriction may have on telomere length. ..
- Leroy C, Lee S, Vaze M, Ochsenbein F, Ochsenbien F, Guerois R, et al. PP2C phosphatases Ptc2 and Ptc3 are required for DNA checkpoint inactivation after a double-strand break. Mol Cell. 2003;11:827-35 pubmed..In vivo and in vitro evidence suggests that phosphorylated forms of Ptc2 and Ptc3 specifically bind to the Rad53 FHA1 domain and inactivate Rad53-dependent pathways during adaptation and recovery by dephosphorylating Rad53. ..
- Panday A, Xiao L, Gupta A, Grove A. Control of DNA end resection by yeast Hmo1p affects efficiency of DNA end-joining. DNA Repair (Amst). 2017;53:15-23 pubmed publisher..The very low efficiency of DSB repair in ku?hmo1? cells further suggests that excessive DNA resection is inhibitory for A-EJ. ..
- Mimitou E, Symington L. Ku prevents Exo1 and Sgs1-dependent resection of DNA ends in the absence of a functional MRX complex or Sae2. EMBO J. 2010;29:3358-69 pubmed publisher..Finally, we show that the presence of Ku exacerbates DNA end-processing defects established in the sae2? sgs1? mutant, leading to its lethality. ..
- Maringele L, Lydall D. EXO1 plays a role in generating type I and type II survivors in budding yeast. Genetics. 2004;166:1641-9 pubmed..We show that EXO1 is important for generating type I survivors in yku70delta mre11delta cells and type II survivors in tlc1delta cells. Moreover, in tlc1delta cells, EXO1 seems to contribute to the senescence process itself. ..
- Liang D, Burkhart S, Singh R, Kabbaj M, Gunjan A. Histone dosage regulates DNA damage sensitivity in a checkpoint-independent manner by the homologous recombination pathway. Nucleic Acids Res. 2012;40:9604-20 pubmed publisher..Our findings may have important implications for DNA repair, genomic stability, carcinogenesis and aging in human cells that have dozens of histone genes. ..
- Wasko B, Holland C, Resnick M, Lewis L. Inhibition of DNA double-strand break repair by the Ku heterodimer in mrx mutants of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. DNA Repair (Amst). 2009;8:162-9 pubmed publisher..demonstrated that the 5'-end of TLC1 RNA was essential and a segment containing a binding site for the Yku70/Yku80 complex was sufficient for suppression...
- Conde F, San Segundo P. Role of Dot1 in the response to alkylating DNA damage in Saccharomyces cerevisiae: regulation of DNA damage tolerance by the error-prone polymerases Polzeta/Rev1. Genetics. 2008;179:1197-210 pubmed publisher..Deletion of DOT1 partially or totally suppresses the MMS sensitivity of various DNA repair mutants (rad52, rad54, yku80, rad1, rad14, apn1, rad5, rad30)...
- Jessulat M, Alamgir M, Salsali H, Greenblatt J, Xu J, Golshani A. Interacting proteins Rtt109 and Vps75 affect the efficiency of non-homologous end-joining in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2008;469:157-64 pubmed..We propose that one function of the Rtt109-Vps75 interacting protein pair is to affect the efficiency of NHEJ in yeast. Vps75 but not Rtt109 also seem to have an effect on the efficiency of DSB repair using homologous recombination. ..
- Sabourin M, Tuzon C, Zakian V. Telomerase and Tel1p preferentially associate with short telomeres in S. cerevisiae. Mol Cell. 2007;27:550-61 pubmed..Tel1p binding was dependent on Xrs2p and required for preferential binding of telomerase to short telomeres. These data suggest that Tel1p targets telomerase to the DNA ends most in need of extension...
- Nitiss K, Malik M, He X, White S, Nitiss J. Tyrosyl-DNA phosphodiesterase (Tdp1) participates in the repair of Top2-mediated DNA damage. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:8953-8 pubmed..Our results show that Tdp1 plays more general roles in DNA repair than repair of Top1 mediated DNA damage, and may participate in repairing many types of base damage to DNA. ..
- Sikdar N, Banerjee S, Zhang H, Smith S, Myung K. Spt2p defines a new transcription-dependent gross chromosomal rearrangement pathway. PLoS Genet. 2008;4:e1000290 pubmed publisher..Lastly, high transcription in the chromosome V, the location at which GCR is monitored, also enhanced GCR formation. We propose a new pathway for GCR where DNA intermediates formed during transcription can lead to genomic instability. ..
- Palmbos P, Wu D, Daley J, Wilson T. Recruitment of Saccharomyces cerevisiae Dnl4-Lif1 complex to a double-strand break requires interactions with Yku80 and the Xrs2 FHA domain. Genetics. 2008;180:1809-19 pubmed publisher..NHEJ) in yeast depends on eight different proteins in at least three different functional complexes: Yku70-Yku80 (Ku), Dnl4-Lif1-Nej1 (DNA ligase IV), and Mre11-Rad50-Xrs2 (MRX)...
- Hass E, Zappulla D. The Ku subunit of telomerase binds Sir4 to recruit telomerase to lengthen telomeres in S. cerevisiae. elife. 2015;4: pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that Sir4 is the telomere-bound target of Ku-mediated telomerase recruitment and provide one mechanism for how the Sir4-competing Rif1 and Rif2 proteins negatively regulate telomere length in yeast. ..