Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: YKT6
Description: palmitoyltransferase YKT6
Alias: palmitoyltransferase YKT6
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Burri L, Varlamov O, Doege C, Hofmann K, Beilharz T, Rothman J, et al. A SNARE required for retrograde transport to the endoplasmic reticulum. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:9873-7 pubmed..We suggest that Slt1 is a component of the SNAREpin required for retrograde traffic to the ER. Based on the previously reported association with Ufe1 and Sec22, Sec20 likely contributes the fourth SNARE to the SNAREpin. ..
- Sapperstein S, Lupashin V, Schmitt H, Waters M. Assembly of the ER to Golgi SNARE complex requires Uso1p. J Cell Biol. 1996;132:755-67 pubmed..Finally, biochemical analysis indicates that Uso1p, like Ypt1p, is required for assembly of the v-SNARE/t-SNARE complex. The implications of these findings, with respect to the mechanism of vesicle docking, are discussed. ..
- Lupashin V, Pokrovskaya I, McNew J, Waters M. Characterization of a novel yeast SNARE protein implicated in Golgi retrograde traffic. Mol Biol Cell. 1997;8:2659-76 pubmed..We propose that Vti1p, along with Ykt6p and perhaps Sft1p, acts as a retrograde v-SNARE capable of interacting with the cis-Golgi t-SNARE Sed5p. ..
- Lobingier B, Merz A. Sec1/Munc18 protein Vps33 binds to SNARE domains and the quaternary SNARE complex. Mol Biol Cell. 2012;23:4611-22 pubmed publisher..Our results also strengthen the hypothesis that SNARE complex binding is a core attribute of SM protein function. ..
- Liu Y, Barlowe C. Analysis of Sec22p in endoplasmic reticulum/Golgi transport reveals cellular redundancy in SNARE protein function. Mol Biol Cell. 2002;13:3314-24 pubmed..In vivo combination of the sec22Delta mutation with a conditional ykt6-1 allele results in lethality, consistent with a redundant mechanism...
- Krämer L, Ungermann C. HOPS drives vacuole fusion by binding the vacuolar SNARE complex and the Vam7 PX domain via two distinct sites. Mol Biol Cell. 2011;22:2601-11 pubmed publisher..Our data thus support a model of HOPS-controlled membrane fusion by recognizing different elements of the SNARE complex. ..
- Bensen E, Yeung B, Payne G. Ric1p and the Ypt6p GTPase function in a common pathway required for localization of trans-Golgi network membrane proteins. Mol Biol Cell. 2001;12:13-26 pubmed..Because Gos1p and Ykt6p interact with Sed5p, these results raise the possibility that TGN membrane protein localization requires Ric1p- and Ypt6p-dependent retrieval to the cis-Golgi network. ..
- Dilcher M, Kohler B, von Mollard G. Genetic interactions with the yeast Q-SNARE VTI1 reveal novel functions for the R-SNARE YKT6. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:34537-44 pubmed..Here we identified a previously uncharacterized gene, VTS1, and the R-SNARE YKT6 both as multicopy and as low copy suppressors of the growth and vacuolar transport defect in vti1-2 cells...
- Parlati F, Varlamov O, Paz K, McNew J, Hurtado D, Sollner T, et al. Distinct SNARE complexes mediating membrane fusion in Golgi transport based on combinatorial specificity. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:5424-9 pubmed..strategy thereby revealed a previously uncharacterized t-SNARE in which Sed5 is the heavy chain and Gos1 and Ykt6 are the light chains, and whose unique cognate v-SNARE is Sft1...
- Tsui M, Banfield D. Yeast Golgi SNARE interactions are promiscuous. J Cell Sci. 2000;113 ( Pt 1):145-52 pubmed
- Nair U, Jotwani A, Geng J, Gammoh N, Richerson D, Yen W, et al. SNARE proteins are required for macroautophagy. Cell. 2011;146:290-302 pubmed publisher..Additionally, we found that the endosomal Q/t-SNARE Tlg2 and the R/v-SNAREs Sec22 and Ykt6 interact with Sso1-Sec9, and are required for normal Atg9 transport...
- Meiringer C, Rethmeier R, Auffarth K, Wilson J, Perz A, Barlowe C, et al. The Dsl1 protein tethering complex is a resident endoplasmic reticulum complex, which interacts with five soluble NSF (N-ethylmaleimide-sensitive factor) attachment protein receptors (SNAREs): implications for fusion and fusion regulation. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:25039-46 pubmed publisher..Here, we analyze molecular interactions between five SNAREs of the ER (Ufe1, Use1, Sec20, Sec22, and Ykt6) and the Dsl1 complex in vitro and in vivo...
- Qi C, Zhang H, Liu L, Yang R, Yang Y, Kang T, et al. Analysis of interactions between SNARE proteins using imaging ellipsometer coupled with microfluidic array. Sci Rep. 2014;4:5341 pubmed publisher..We argue that the use of imaging ellipsometer coupled with microfluidic device will deepen our understanding of the molecular mechanisms underlying membrane fusion process. ..
- Collins K, Thorngren N, Fratti R, Wickner W. Sec17p and HOPS, in distinct SNARE complexes, mediate SNARE complex disruption or assembly for fusion. EMBO J. 2005;24:1775-86 pubmed..Sec17p may displace HOPS from SNAREs to permit subsequent rounds of fusion. ..
- Graf C, Riedel D, Schmitt H, Jahn R. Identification of functionally interacting SNAREs by using complementary substitutions in the conserved '0' layer. Mol Biol Cell. 2005;16:2263-74 pubmed..This rescue is attributed to the involvement of Sed5p and Ykt6p in a different SNARE complex that functions in intra-Golgi trafficking. ..
- Lemus L, Ribas J, Sikorska N, Goder V. An ER-Localized SNARE Protein Is Exported in Specific COPII Vesicles for Autophagosome Biogenesis. Cell Rep. 2016;14:1710-1722 pubmed publisher..Under the same conditions, sec23-1 cells are hypersensitive to starvation and deficient in autophagy. Our data suggest that ER membranes containing Ufe1 are delivered to sites of autophagosome formation in specific COPII vesicles. ..
- Rohde J, Dietrich L, Langosch D, Ungermann C. The transmembrane domain of Vam3 affects the composition of cis- and trans-SNARE complexes to promote homotypic vacuole fusion. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:1656-62 pubmed..Since palmitoylated Vac8 is required beyond trans-SNARE complex formation, this may partially explain the fusion deficiency. ..
- Dietrich L, Gurezka R, Veit M, Ungermann C. The SNARE Ykt6 mediates protein palmitoylation during an early stage of homotypic vacuole fusion. EMBO J. 2004;23:45-53 pubmed..Here we show that the SNARE Ykt6 mediates Vac8 palmitoylation and acts during a novel subreaction of vacuole fusion...
- Diefenbacher M, Thorsteinsdóttir H, Spang A. The Dsl1 tethering complex actively participates in soluble NSF (N-ethylmaleimide-sensitive factor) attachment protein receptor (SNARE) complex assembly at the endoplasmic reticulum in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:25027-38 pubmed publisher..We provide evidence for a direct role of the Dsl1 complex, in particular Tip20p, in the formation and stabilization of ER SNARE complexes. ..
- Pelham H. SNAREs and the secretory pathway-lessons from yeast. Exp Cell Res. 1999;247:1-8 pubmed..This review summarizes current knowledge of the yeast SNAREs and the picture of the secretory pathway that emerges from such studies. ..
- LÃ¼rick A, Kuhlee A, BrÃ¶cker C, KÃ¼mmel D, Raunser S, Ungermann C. The Habc domain of the SNARE Vam3 interacts with the HOPS tethering complex to facilitate vacuole fusion. J Biol Chem. 2015;290:5405-13 pubmed publisher..We show that HOPS interacts strongly with the Vam3 Habc domain, assembled Q-SNAREs, and the R-SNARE Ykt6, but not the Q-SNARE Vti1 or the Vam3 SNARE domain...
- Dietrich L, Ungermann C. On the mechanism of protein palmitoylation. EMBO Rep. 2004;5:1053-7 pubmed..palmitoylation: effector of Ras function (Erf2), ankyrin-repeat-containing protein (Akr1) and the SNARE protein Ykt6. Erf2 and Akr1 are integral membrane proteins that contain a cysteine-rich domain and an Asp-His-His-Cys motif, ..
- Meiringer C, Auffarth K, Hou H, Ungermann C. Depalmitoylation of Ykt6 prevents its entry into the multivesicular body pathway. Traffic. 2008;9:1510-21 pubmed publisherThe dually lipidated SNARE Ykt6 is found on intracellular membranes and in the cytosol. In this study, we show that Ykt6 localizes to the Golgi as well as endosomal and vacuolar membranes in vivo...
- Isgandarova S, Jones L, Forsberg D, Loncar A, Dawson J, Tedrick K, et al. Stimulation of actin polymerization by vacuoles via Cdc42p-dependent signaling. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:30466-75 pubmed..Our results suggest that actin polymerization is a subreaction of vacuole membrane fusion governed by Cdc42p signal transduction. ..
- Xu H, Wickner W. Bem1p is a positive regulator of the homotypic fusion of yeast vacuoles. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:27158-66 pubmed..2005) Genes Dev. 19, 2606-2618), we did not find phosphorylation of Bem1p at Ser-72 to be required for Bem1p-stimulated fusion. Taken together, Bem1p is a positive regulator of lipid mixing during vacuole hemifusion and fusion. ..
- Dietrich L, LaGrassa T, Rohde J, Cristodero M, Meiringer C, Ungermann C. ATP-independent control of Vac8 palmitoylation by a SNARE subcomplex on yeast vacuoles. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:15348-55 pubmed..by antibodies against Sec18 (yeast N-ethylmaleimide-sensitive fusion protein (NSF)), and is mediated by the R-SNARE Ykt6. Here we analyzed the regulation of this reaction on purified vacuoles...
- Pylypenko O, Schönichen A, Ludwig D, Ungermann C, Goody R, Rak A, et al. Farnesylation of the SNARE protein Ykt6 increases its stability and helical folding. J Mol Biol. 2008;377:1334-45 pubmed publisher..most SNAREs are permanently anchored to membranes by their transmembrane domains, the vesicle-associated SNARE Ykt6 has been found both in soluble and in membrane-bound pools...
- Schindler C, Spang A. Interaction of SNAREs with ArfGAPs precedes recruitment of Sec18p/NSF. Mol Biol Cell. 2007;18:2852-63 pubmed
- Kweon Y, Rothe A, Conibear E, Stevens T. Ykt6p is a multifunctional yeast R-SNARE that is required for multiple membrane transport pathways to the vacuole. Mol Biol Cell. 2003;14:1868-81 pubmed..To investigate the role of Ykt6p in membrane traffic to the vacuole we generated temperature-sensitive mutations in YKT6. One mutation produces an early Golgi block to secretion, and overexpression of the SNARE protein Sft1p suppresses ..
- Lewis M, Pelham H. A new yeast endosomal SNARE related to mammalian syntaxin 8. Traffic. 2002;3:922-9 pubmed..Syn8p thus appears to be a functional homolog of mammalian syntaxin 8, but Tlg1p can, amongst other roles, provide an equivalent function. ..
- Van Dyke M, Nelson L, Weilbaecher R, Mehta D. Stm1p, a G4 quadruplex and purine motif triplex nucleic acid-binding protein, interacts with ribosomes and subtelomeric Y' DNA in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:24323-33 pubmed..We discuss the implications of our findings in relation to prior genetic, genomic, and proteomic studies that have identified STM1 and/or Stm1p as well as the possible biological role of Stm1p. ..
- Kama R, Kanneganti V, Ungermann C, Gerst J. The yeast Batten disease orthologue Btn1 controls endosome-Golgi retrograde transport via SNARE assembly. J Cell Biol. 2011;195:203-15 pubmed publisher..Thus, Btn1 controls retrograde sorting by regulating SNARE phosphorylation and assembly, a process that may be adversely affected in Batten Disease patients. ..
- Suvorova E, Duden R, Lupashin V. The Sec34/Sec35p complex, a Ypt1p effector required for retrograde intra-Golgi trafficking, interacts with Golgi SNAREs and COPI vesicle coat proteins. J Cell Biol. 2002;157:631-43 pubmed..We propose that the Sec34/35 protein complex acts as a tether that connects cis-Golgi membranes and COPI-coated, retrogradely targeted intra-Golgi vesicles. ..
- Rogers J, Arlow T, Inkellis E, Koo T, Rose M. ER-associated SNAREs and Sey1p mediate nuclear fusion at two distinct steps during yeast mating. Mol Biol Cell. 2013;24:3896-908 pubmed publisher..Together these data demonstrate that SNAREs mediate nuclear fusion, ER fusion after cell fusion is necessary to complete nuclear congression, and there exists a SNARE-mediated, Sey1p-independent ER fusion pathway. ..
- Furukawa N, Mima J. Multiple and distinct strategies of yeast SNAREs to confer the specificity of membrane fusion. Sci Rep. 2014;4:4277 pubmed publisher..Thus, our findings uncover multiple and distinct strategies of SNAREs to directly mediate fusion specificity. ..
- Wang Y, Dulubova I, Rizo J, Sudhof T. Functional analysis of conserved structural elements in yeast syntaxin Vam3p. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:28598-605 pubmed..Our data suggest that in contrast to previously characterized syntaxins, Vam3p contains only two domains essential for fusion, the SNARE motif and the TMR, and these domains have to be closely coupled to function in fusion. ..
- Dietrich L, Peplowska K, LaGrassa T, Hou H, Rohde J, Ungermann C. The SNARE Ykt6 is released from yeast vacuoles during an early stage of fusion. EMBO Rep. 2005;6:245-50 pubmedThe farnesylated SNARE (N-ethylmaleimide-sensitive factor attachment protein receptor) Ykt6 mediates protein palmitoylation at the yeast vacuole by means of its amino-terminal longin domain...