Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: YCK1
Description: serine/threonine protein kinase YCK1
Alias: CKI2, serine/threonine protein kinase YCK1
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Ismael A, Tian W, Waszczak N, Wang X, Cao Y, Suchkov D, et al. G? promotes pheromone receptor polarization and yeast chemotropism by inhibiting receptor phosphorylation. Sci Signal. 2016;9:ra38 pubmed publisher..Phosphorylation of pheromone receptors by yeast casein kinase 1 or 2 (Yck1/2) stimulates their internalization...
- He X, Moore C. Regulation of yeast mRNA 3' end processing by phosphorylation. Mol Cell. 2005;19:619-29 pubmed..These results support a model in which poly(A) synthesis is controlled by cycles of phosphorylation and dephosphorylation that require the action of Glc7. ..
- Snowdon C, Johnston M. A novel role for yeast casein kinases in glucose sensing and signaling. Mol Biol Cell. 2016;27:3369-3375 pubmed..However, we found that overexpression of Yck1 fails to restore glucose signaling in a glucose sensor mutant...
- Lusk C, Waller D, Makhnevych T, Dienemann A, Whiteway M, Thomas D, et al. Nup53p is a target of two mitotic kinases, Cdk1p and Hrr25p. Traffic. 2007;8:647-60 pubmed..The ability of nup53 alleles containing Cdk1p site mutations to complement synthetic defects of nup53 Delta nup170 Delta strains is linked to a function for Nup53p in the spindle assembly checkpoint. ..
- Reddi A, Culotta V. SOD1 integrates signals from oxygen and glucose to repress respiration. Cell. 2013;152:224-35 pubmed publisher..Our data therefore may provide mechanistic insight into how rapidly proliferating cells and many cancers accomplish glucose-mediated repression of respiration in favor of aerobic glycolysis. ..
- Paiva S, Vieira N, Nondier I, Haguenauer Tsapis R, Casal M, Urban Grimal D. Glucose-induced ubiquitylation and endocytosis of the yeast Jen1 transporter: role of lysine 63-linked ubiquitin chains. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:19228-36 pubmed publisher..Jen1 is one of the few examples for which ubiquitin-Lys(63)-linked chain(s) was shown to be required for correct trafficking at two stages of endocytosis: endocytic internalization and sorting at multivesicular bodies. ..
- Herrador A, Livas D, Soletto L, Becuwe M, LÃ©on S, Vincent O. Casein kinase 1 controls the activation threshold of an Î±-arrestin by multisite phosphorylation of the interdomain hinge. Mol Biol Cell. 2015;26:2128-38 pubmed publisher..These findings support a model in which CK1-mediated phosphorylation of Rim8 contributes to setting a signaling threshold required to inhibit the RIM pathway at acidic pH. ..
- Paquin N, Ménade M, Poirier G, Donato D, Drouet E, Chartrand P. Local activation of yeast ASH1 mRNA translation through phosphorylation of Khd1p by the casein kinase Yck1p. Mol Cell. 2007;26:795-809 pubmed..This study reveals how, by linking mRNA sorting and translational activation, Khd1p and Yck1p regulate the spatiotemporal expression of a cell fate determinant. ..
- Vancura A, Sessler A, Leichus B, Kuret J. A prenylation motif is required for plasma membrane localization and biochemical function of casein kinase I in budding yeast. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:19271-8 pubmedThe subcellular distribution of three casein kinase I (CK1) homologs, encoded by the YCK1, YCK2, and HRR25 genes, has been determined in budding yeast through a combination of subcellular fractionation and immunofluorescence methods...
- Marchal C, Haguenauer Tsapis R, Urban Grimal D. Casein kinase I-dependent phosphorylation within a PEST sequence and ubiquitination at nearby lysines signal endocytosis of yeast uracil permease. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:23608-14 pubmed..This may be due to CK1 having a second counteracting role in endocytosis as shown by the higher turnover of variant permeases with unphosphorylatable versions of the PEST sequence. ..
- Lee Y, Jeschke G, Roelants F, Thorner J, Turk B. Reciprocal phosphorylation of yeast glycerol-3-phosphate dehydrogenases in adaptation to distinct types of stress. Mol Cell Biol. 2012;32:4705-17 pubmed publisher..Introduction of phosphorylation motifs targeted by distinct kinases provides a general mechanism for functional specialization of duplicated genes during evolution. ..
- Robinson L, Hubbard E, Graves P, DePaoli Roach A, Roach P, Kung C, et al. Yeast casein kinase I homologues: an essential gene pair. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1992;89:28-32 pubmed..The two genes were independently isolated as dosage-dependent suppressors. Increased dosage of YCK1 suppressed defects caused by reduced SNF1 protein kinase activity, and increased dosage of YCK2 relieved ..
- Zhai L, Graves P, Robinson L, Italiano M, Culbertson M, Rowles J, et al. Casein kinase I gamma subfamily. Molecular cloning, expression, and characterization of three mammalian isoforms and complementation of defects in the Saccharomyces cerevisiae YCK genes. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:12717-24 pubmed..All three CK1 gamma s underwent autophosphorylation when incubated with ATP and Mg2+. The YCK1 and YCK2 genes in Saccharomyces cerevisiae encode casein kinase I homologs, defects in which lead to aberrant ..
- Wang X, Hoekstra M, DeMaggio A, Dhillon N, Vancura A, Kuret J, et al. Prenylated isoforms of yeast casein kinase I, including the novel Yck3p, suppress the gcs1 blockage of cell proliferation from stationary phase. Mol Cell Biol. 1996;16:5375-85 pubmed..Among these are YCK1 (CK12) and YCK2 (CKI1), encoding membrane-associated casein kinase I, and YCK3, encoding a novel casein kinase I ..
- Simpson Lavy K, Johnston M. SUMOylation regulates the SNF1 protein kinase. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:17432-7 pubmed publisher..These findings reveal another way SNF1 function is regulated in response to carbon source...
- Wang P, Vancura A, Mitcheson T, Kuret J. Two genes in Saccharomyces cerevisiae encode a membrane-bound form of casein kinase-1. Mol Biol Cell. 1992;3:275-86 pubmedTwo cDNAs encoding casein kinase-1 have been isolated from a yeast cDNA library and termed CKI1 and CKI2. Each clone encodes a protein of approximately 62,000 Da containing a highly conserved protein kinase domain surrounded by variable ..
- Pasula S, Chakraborty S, Choi J, Kim J. Role of casein kinase 1 in the glucose sensor-mediated signaling pathway in yeast. BMC Cell Biol. 2010;11:17 pubmed publisher..occurs through a signaling pathway that involves the Rgt2 and Snf3 glucose sensors and yeast casein kinase 1 and 2 (Yck1/2)...
- Panek H, Conibear E, Bryan J, Colvin R, Goshorn C, Robinson L. Identification of Rgp1p, a novel Golgi recycling factor, as a protein required for efficient localization of yeast casein kinase 1 to the plasma membrane. J Cell Sci. 2000;113 Pt 24:4545-55 pubmed..Loss of either Tlg2p or Rgp1p causes inefficient localization of Yck2p, suggesting that its transport may be directed, in part, by a targeting factor that must be recycled back to the Golgi. ..
- Yamamoto K, Tatebayashi K, Tanaka K, Saito H. Dynamic control of yeast MAP kinase network by induced association and dissociation between the Ste50 scaffold and the Opy2 membrane anchor. Mol Cell. 2010;40:87-98 pubmed publisher..CR-B, in contrast, binds Ste50 only when Opy2 is phosphorylated by Yck1/Yck2 under glucose-rich conditions and transmits the signal preferentially to the Hog1 MAPK...
- Pal G, Paraz M, Kellogg D. Regulation of Mih1/Cdc25 by protein phosphatase 2A and casein kinase 1. J Cell Biol. 2008;180:931-45 pubmed publisher..Because casein kinase 1 is associated with sites of polar growth, it may regulate Mih1 as part of a signaling mechanism that links successful completion of growth-related events to cell cycle progression. ..
- Stundon J, Zakian V. Identification of Saccharomyces cerevisiae Genes Whose Deletion Causes Synthetic Effects in Cells with Reduced Levels of the Nuclear Pif1 DNA Helicase. G3 (Bethesda). 2015;5:2913-8 pubmed publisher..This study identified eleven genes that were synthetic lethal (APM1, ARG80, CDH1, GCR1, GTO3, PRK1, RAD10, SKT5, SOP4, UMP1, and YCK1) and three genes that were synthetic sick (DEF1, YIP4, and HOM3) with pif1-m2.
- Stalder D, Novick P. The casein kinases Yck1p and Yck2p act in the secretory pathway, in part, by regulating the Rab exchange factor Sec2p. Mol Biol Cell. 2016;27:686-701 pubmed publisher..This promotes Sec2p function by stimulating its interaction with Sec15p. Finally, Sec2p is dephosphorylated very late in the exocytic reaction to facilitate recycling. ..
- Wu C, Arcand M, Jansen G, Zhong M, Iouk T, Thomas D, et al. Phosphorylation of the MAPKKK regulator Ste50p in Saccharomyces cerevisiae: a casein kinase I phosphorylation site is required for proper mating function. Eukaryot Cell. 2003;2:949-61 pubmed..However, this phosphorylation does not seem to have a detectable role in modulating the high-osmolarity glycerol synthesis pathway. ..
- Souza A, Miranda M, da Silva S, Bozaquel Morais B, Masuda C, Ghislain M, et al. Expression of the glucose transporter HXT1 involves the Ser-Thr protein phosphatase Sit4 in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. FEMS Yeast Res. 2012;12:907-17 pubmed publisher..It was concluded that Sit4p ensures that HXT1 transcript is efficiently transcribed and translated thus increasing protein levels of Hxt1p when high glucose levels are present. ..
- Rodriguez C, Cho E, Keogh M, Moore C, Greenleaf A, Buratowski S. Kin28, the TFIIH-associated carboxy-terminal domain kinase, facilitates the recruitment of mRNA processing machinery to RNA polymerase II. Mol Cell Biol. 2000;20:104-12 pubmed..Pta1 in yeast extracts binds specifically to the phosphorylated CTD, suggesting that this interaction may mediate coupling of polyadenylation and transcription. ..
- Sun B, Chen L, Cao W, Roth A, Davis N. The yeast casein kinase Yck3p is palmitoylated, then sorted to the vacuolar membrane with AP-3-dependent recognition of a YXXPhi adaptin sorting signal. Mol Biol Cell. 2004;15:1397-406 pubmed..Although YXXPhi signals have a well-appreciated role in the adaptin-mediated sorting of mammalian cells, this is the first signal of this class to be identified in yeast. ..