Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: VPS41
Alias: CVT8, FET2, SVL2, VAM2, VPL20, Vps41p
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Rehling P, Darsow T, Katzmann D, Emr S. Formation of AP-3 transport intermediates requires Vps41 function. Nat Cell Biol. 1999;1:346-53 pubmed..Inactivation of AP-3 or the protein Vps41 blocks formation of this vesicular intermediate...
- Cabrera M, Langemeyer L, Mari M, Rethmeier R, Orban I, Perz A, et al. Phosphorylation of a membrane curvature-sensing motif switches function of the HOPS subunit Vps41 in membrane tethering. J Cell Biol. 2010;191:845-59 pubmed publisher..phosphorylation-based switch mechanism, which allows the homotypic vacuole fusion protein sorting effector subunit Vps41 to operate in two distinct fusion events, namely endosome-vacuole and AP-3 vesicle-vacuole fusion...
- Seals D, Eitzen G, Margolis N, Wickner W, Price A. A Ypt/Rab effector complex containing the Sec1 homolog Vps33p is required for homotypic vacuole fusion. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2000;97:9402-7 pubmed..Vacuole-associated Vam2p and Vam6p (Vam2/6p) are components of a 65S complex containing SNARE proteins...
- Radisky D, Snyder W, Emr S, Kaplan J. Characterization of VPS41, a gene required for vacuolar trafficking and high-affinity iron transport in yeast. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997;94:5662-6 pubmed..The deduced Vps41p sequence contains a domain rich in glutamic and aspartic residues, as well as a domain with resemblance to a ..
- Plemel R, Lobingier B, Brett C, Angers C, Nickerson D, Paulsel A, et al. Subunit organization and Rab interactions of Vps-C protein complexes that control endolysosomal membrane traffic. Mol Biol Cell. 2011;22:1353-63 pubmed publisher..The HOPS-specific subunits, Vps39 and Vps41, also form a subcomplex. Both subunits bind the Rab7 orthologue Ypt7, but with distinct nucleotide specificities...
- Hickey C, Stroupe C, Wickner W. The major role of the Rab Ypt7p in vacuole fusion is supporting HOPS membrane association. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:16118-25 pubmed publisher..Thus, although Ypt7p may contribute to other fusion functions, its central role is to bind HOPS to the membrane. ..
- Brett C, Plemel R, Lobingier B, Lobinger B, Vignali M, Fields S, et al. Efficient termination of vacuolar Rab GTPase signaling requires coordinated action by a GAP and a protein kinase. J Cell Biol. 2008;182:1141-51 pubmed publisher..least two Ypt7 signaling targets: a tether, the Vps-C/homotypic fusion and vacuole protein sorting (HOPS) subunit Vps41, and a SNARE, Vam3. Phosphorylation of both substrates is opposed by Ypt7-guanosine triphosphate (GTP)...
- Peplowska K, Markgraf D, Ostrowicz C, Bange G, Ungermann C. The CORVET tethering complex interacts with the yeast Rab5 homolog Vps21 and is involved in endo-lysosomal biogenesis. Dev Cell. 2007;12:739-50 pubmed..The HOPS complex, in addition, contains Vps41/Vam2 and Vam6, whereas the CORVET complex has the Vps41 homolog Vps8 and the (h)Vam6 homolog Vps3...
- Nakamura N, Hirata A, Ohsumi Y, Wada Y. Vam2/Vps41p and Vam6/Vps39p are components of a protein complex on the vacuolar membranes and involved in the vacuolar assembly in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:11344-9 pubmedThe VAM2/VPS41 and VAM6/VPS39 were shown to encode hydrophilic proteins of 113 and 123 kDa, respectively...
- Darsow T, Katzmann D, Cowles C, Emr S. Vps41p function in the alkaline phosphatase pathway requires homo-oligomerization and interaction with AP-3 through two distinct domains. Mol Biol Cell. 2001;12:37-51 pubmed..the ALP (alkaline phosphatase) pathway to the vacuole requires the function of the AP-3 adaptor complex and Vps41p. However, unlike other adaptor protein-dependent pathways, the ALP pathway has not been shown to require ..
- Wurmser A, Sato T, Emr S. New component of the vacuolar class C-Vps complex couples nucleotide exchange on the Ypt7 GTPase to SNARE-dependent docking and fusion. J Cell Biol. 2000;151:551-62 pubmed..Here we demonstrate that the class C-Vps complex contains two additional proteins, Vps39 and Vps41. The COOH-terminal 148 amino acids of Vps39 direct its association with the class C-Vps complex by binding to ..
- Price A, Seals D, Wickner W, Ungermann C. The docking stage of yeast vacuole fusion requires the transfer of proteins from a cis-SNARE complex to a Rab/Ypt protein. J Cell Biol. 2000;148:1231-8 pubmed..We find that a large multisubunit protein called the Vam2/6p complex is bound to cis-paired SNAP receptors (SNAREs) on isolated vacuoles...
- Balderhaar H, Lachmann J, Yavavli E, Bröcker C, Lürick A, Ungermann C. The CORVET complex promotes tethering and fusion of Rab5/Vps21-positive membranes. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:3823-8 pubmed publisher..We therefore conclude that CORVET is a tethering complex that promotes fusion of Rab5-positive membranes and thus facilitates receptor down-regulation and recycling at the late endosome. ..
- Orr A, Wickner W, Rusin S, Kettenbach A, Zick M. Yeast vacuolar HOPS, regulated by its kinase, exploits affinities for acidic lipids and Rab:GTP for membrane binding and to catalyze tethering and fusion. Mol Biol Cell. 2015;26:305-15 pubmed publisher..After phosphorylation by the vacuolar kinase Yck3p, phospho-HOPS needs both Ypt7p:GTP and acidic lipids to support fusion. ..
- Hongay C, Jia N, Bard M, Winston F. Mot3 is a transcriptional repressor of ergosterol biosynthetic genes and is required for normal vacuolar function in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. EMBO J. 2002;21:4114-24 pubmed..This screen identified PAN1, a gene required for normal endocytosis, and VPS41, a gene required for vacuolar fusion and protein targeting, suggesting a role for Mot3 in the regulation of ..
- Takeda E, Jin N, Itakura E, Kira S, Kamada Y, Weisman L, et al. Vacuole-mediated selective regulation of TORC1-Sch9 signaling following oxidative stress. Mol Biol Cell. 2018;29:510-522 pubmed publisher..We propose that the Sch9 branch integrates the intrinsic activity of TORC1 kinase and vacuolar status, which is monitored by the phospholipids of the vacuolar membrane, into the regulation of macromolecular synthesis. ..
- Chou H, Dukovski D, Chambers M, Reinisch K, Walz T. CATCHR, HOPS and CORVET tethering complexes share a similar architecture. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2016;23:761-3 pubmed publisher..We also show that HOPS, a tethering complex acting in the endolysosomal pathway, shares a similar architecture, thus suggesting that multisubunit tethering complexes use related structural frameworks. ..
- Cowles C, Snyder W, Burd C, Emr S. Novel Golgi to vacuole delivery pathway in yeast: identification of a sorting determinant and required transport component. EMBO J. 1997;16:2769-82 pubmed
- Kulkarni A, Alpadi K, Namjoshi S, Peters C. A tethering complex dimer catalyzes trans-SNARE complex formation in intracellular membrane fusion. Bioarchitecture. 2012;2:59-69 pubmed..Here we report a novel finding that a HOPS tethering complex dimer catalyzes Rab GTPase-dependent formation of a topologically preferred QbQcR-Qa trans-SNARE complex. ..
- Zurita Martinez S, Puria R, Pan X, Boeke J, Cardenas M. Efficient Tor signaling requires a functional class C Vps protein complex in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2007;176:2139-50 pubmed
- Lai X, Beilharz T, Au W, Hammet A, Preiss T, Basrai M, et al. Yeast hEST1A/B (SMG5/6)-like proteins contribute to environment-sensing adaptive gene expression responses. G3 (Bethesda). 2013;3:1649-59 pubmed publisher..Overall, these results suggest that Esl1 and Esl2 contribute to the regulation of adaptive gene expression responses of environmental sensing pathways. ..
- Numrich J, PÃ©li Gulli M, Arlt H, Sardu A, Griffith J, Levine T, et al. The I-BAR protein Ivy1 is an effector of the Rab7 GTPase Ypt7 involved in vacuole membrane homeostasis. J Cell Sci. 2015;128:2278-92 pubmed publisher..Our data, thus, reveal that Ivy1 is a novel regulator of vacuole membrane homeostasis with connections to TORC1 signaling. ..
- Balderhaar H, Arlt H, Ostrowicz C, Br cker C, S ndermann F, Brandt R, et al. The Rab GTPase Ypt7 is linked to retromer-mediated receptor recycling and fusion at the yeast late endosome. J Cell Sci. 2010;123:4085-94 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that Ypt7 functions at the late endosome to coordinate retromer-mediated recycling with the fusion of late endosomes with vacuoles...
- Behrmann H, LÃ¼rick A, Kuhlee A, Balderhaar H, BrÃ¶cker C, KÃ¼mmel D, et al. Structural identification of the Vps18 Î²-propeller reveals a critical role in the HOPS complex stability and function. J Biol Chem. 2014;289:33503-12 pubmed publisher..We thus conclude that the Î²-propeller of Vps18 is required for HOPS stability and function and that it can serve as a starting point for further structural analyses of the HOPS tethering complex. ..
- Rana M, Lachmann J, Ungermann C. Identification of a Rab GTPase-activating protein cascade that controls recycling of the Rab5 GTPase Vps21 from the vacuole. Mol Biol Cell. 2015;26:2535-49 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that efficient Vps21 recycling requires both Ypt7 and endosome-vacuole fusion, thus suggesting extended control of a GAP cascade beyond Rab interactions. ..
- LÃ¼rick A, Kuhlee A, BrÃ¶cker C, KÃ¼mmel D, Raunser S, Ungermann C. The Habc domain of the SNARE Vam3 interacts with the HOPS tethering complex to facilitate vacuole fusion. J Biol Chem. 2015;290:5405-13 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that the Habc domain of Vam3 facilitates the assembly of the HOPS/SNARE machinery at fusion sites and thus supports efficient membrane fusion. ..
- Brown C, Liu J, Hung G, Carter D, Cui D, Chiang H. The Vid vesicle to vacuole trafficking event requires components of the SNARE membrane fusion machinery. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:25688-99 pubmed..of v-SNAREs (Ykt6p, Nyv1p, Vti1p) and homotypic fusion vacuole protein sorting complex family members (Vps39p and Vps41p) were required for the proper function of Vid vesicles...
- Ho R, Stroupe C. The HOPS/Class C Vps Complex Tethers High-Curvature Membranes via a Direct Protein-Membrane Interaction. Traffic. 2016;17:1078-90 pubmed publisher..Phosphorylation of the curvature-sensing amphipathic lipid-packing sensor (ALPS) motif from the Vps41p HOPS subunit abrogates tethering of high-curvature liposomes...
- Singer Krüger B, Ferro Novick S. Use of a synthetic lethal screen to identify yeast mutants impaired in endocytosis, vacuolar protein sorting and the organization of the cytoskeleton. Eur J Cell Biol. 1997;74:365-75 pubmed..The others represent known endocytosis (rvs167 and sac6) and vacuolar protein sorting (vps41) mutants...
- Webster M, McCaffery J, COHEN FIX O. Vesicle trafficking maintains nuclear shape in Saccharomyces cerevisiae during membrane proliferation. J Cell Biol. 2010;191:1079-88 pubmed publisher..Moreover, flares may facilitate maintenance of a constant nuclear/cell volume ratio in the face of altered membrane proliferation. ..
- Schwartz M, Nickerson D, Lobingier B, Plemel R, Duan M, Angers C, et al. Sec17 (?-SNAP) and an SM-tethering complex regulate the outcome of SNARE zippering in vitro and in vivo. elife. 2017;6: pubmed publisher..Once SNAREs are partially zipped, Sec17 promotes fusion in either the presence or absence of HOPS, but with faster kinetics when HOPS is absent, suggesting that ejection of the SM is a rate-limiting step. ..