Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: VPS36
Description: ESCRT-II subunit protein VPS36
Alias: GRD12, VAC3, VPL11, ESCRT-II subunit protein VPS36
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Bowers K, Lottridge J, Helliwell S, Goldthwaite L, Luzio J, Stevens T. Protein-protein interactions of ESCRT complexes in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Traffic. 2004;5:194-210 pubmed..We propose the formation of a large multimeric complex on the endosome membrane consisting of ESCRTI, ESCRTII, ESCRTIII and other associated proteins. ..
- Teis D, Saksena S, Judson B, Emr S. ESCRT-II coordinates the assembly of ESCRT-III filaments for cargo sorting and multivesicular body vesicle formation. EMBO J. 2010;29:871-83 pubmed publisher..We propose that ESCRT-II serves as a scaffold that nucleates the assembly of two Snf7 oligomers, which together are required for cargo sequestration and vesicle formation during MVB sorting. ..
- Zhao Y, Xiong B, Xu H, Jiang L. Expression of NYV1 encoding the negative regulator of Pmc1 is repressed by two transcriptional repressors, Nrg1 and Mig1. FEBS Lett. 2014;588:3195-201 pubmed publisher..Deletion of ESCRTs increases Nrg1 binding, but not Mig1-binding, to the NYV1 promoter. Deletion of MIG1 increases calcium sensitivity of ESCRT mutants due to derepression of NYV1 expression. ..
- Bidlingmaier S, Snyder M. Large-scale identification of genes important for apical growth in Saccharomyces cerevisiae by directed allele replacement technology (DART) screening. Funct Integr Genomics. 2002;1:345-56 pubmed..insertion alleles, containing mutations in 17 different genes ( SMY1, SPA2, PAN1, SLA1, SLA2, CBK1, SEC22, FAB1, VPS36, VID22, RAS2, ECM33, OPI3, API1/YDR372c, API2/YDR525w, API3/YKR020w, and API4/YNL051w), which alter the elongated ..
- Wang S, Thibault G, Ng D. Routing misfolded proteins through the multivesicular body (MVB) pathway protects against proteotoxicity. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:29376-87 pubmed publisher..Eliminating the MVB sorting signal diverted molecules to the vacuolar limiting membrane, resulting in the generation of toxic by-products. These data demonstrate a new role of the MVB pathway in protein quality control. ..
- Tang S, Buchkovich N, Henne W, Banjade S, Kim Y, Emr S. ESCRT-III activation by parallel action of ESCRT-I/II and ESCRT-0/Bro1 during MVB biogenesis. elife. 2016;5: pubmed publisher..We therefore provide an enhanced understanding for the activation of the spatially unique ESCRT-III-mediated membrane remodeling. ..
- Nebauer R, Rosenberger S, Daum G. Phosphatidylethanolamine, a limiting factor of autophagy in yeast strains bearing a defect in the carboxypeptidase Y pathway of vacuolar targeting. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:16736-43 pubmed..We found that deletion of VPS4 and VPS36 caused impaired maturation of the vacuolar proaminopeptidase I (pAPI) via autophagy or the cytosol to vacuole ..
- Burchett S, Flanary P, Aston C, Jiang L, Young K, Uetz P, et al. Regulation of stress response signaling by the N-terminal dishevelled/EGL-10/pleckstrin domain of Sst2, a regulator of G protein signaling in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:22156-67 pubmed..relevant interacting proteins, we analyzed all of the available gene deletion mutants and found three (vps36 Delta, pep12 Delta, and tlg2 Delta) that induce STRE and also repress pheromone-dependent transcription...
- Luo W, Chang A. Novel genes involved in endosomal traffic in yeast revealed by suppression of a targeting-defective plasma membrane ATPase mutant. J Cell Biol. 1997;138:731-46 pubmed..Thus, cell surface delivery of mutant Pma1 can occur as a consequence of disturbances at several different sites in the endosomal system. ..
- Hayden J, Williams M, Granich A, Ahn H, Tenay B, Lukehart J, et al. Vps1 in the late endosome-to-vacuole traffic. J Biosci. 2013;38:73-83 pubmed..Together, we propose that Vps1 is required for correct and efficient trafficking from the late endosomal compartments to the vacuole. ..
- Banh B, McDERMOTT H, Woodman S, Gadila S, Saimani U, Short J, et al. Yeast dynamin interaction with ESCRT proteins at the endosome. Cell Biol Int. 2017;41:484-494 pubmed publisher..the yeast two-hybrid system, we revealed that Vps1 physically interacts with the ESCRT-II subunits, Vps22 and Vps36, and the ESCRT-III subunit Vps24...
- Gill D, Teo H, Sun J, Perisic O, Veprintsev D, Emr S, et al. Structural insight into the ESCRT-I/-II link and its role in MVB trafficking. EMBO J. 2007;26:600-12 pubmed..link is formed by the vacuolar protein sorting (Vps)28 C-terminus (ESCRT-I) binding with nanomolar affinity to the Vps36-NZF-N zinc-finger domain (ESCRT-II)...
- Bowers K, Piper S, Edeling M, Gray S, Owen D, Lehner P, et al. Degradation of endocytosed epidermal growth factor and virally ubiquitinated major histocompatibility complex class I is independent of mammalian ESCRTII. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:5094-105 pubmed..Our data suggest that mammalian ESCRTII may be redundant, cargo-specific, or not required for protein sorting at the multivesicular body. ..
- Rothfels K, Tanny J, Molnár E, Friesen H, Commisso C, Segall J. Components of the ESCRT pathway, DFG16, and YGR122w are required for Rim101 to act as a corepressor with Nrg1 at the negative regulatory element of the DIT1 gene of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:6772-88 pubmed..By genetic screening procedures, we identified DFG16, YGR122w, VPS36, and the DNA-binding proteins Rim101 and Nrg1 as potential mediators of NRE-directed repression...
- Shields S, Oestreich A, Winistorfer S, Nguyen D, Payne J, Katzmann D, et al. ESCRT ubiquitin-binding domains function cooperatively during MVB cargo sorting. J Cell Biol. 2009;185:213-24 pubmed publisher..These experiments reveal an unexpected level of coordination among the ESCRT UBDs, suggesting that they collectively recognize a diverse set of cargo rather than act sequentially at discrete steps. ..
- Jensen L, Carroll M, Hall M, Harvey C, Beese S, Culotta V. Down-regulation of a manganese transporter in the face of metal toxicity. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:2810-9 pubmed publisher..We provide evidence that manganese starvation is sensed within the lumen of the secretory pathway, whereas manganese toxicity is sensed within an extra-Golgi/cytosolic compartment of the cell. ..
- Kallay L, Brett C, Tukaye D, Wemmer M, Chyou A, Odorizzi G, et al. Endosomal Na+ (K+)/H+ exchanger Nhx1/Vps44 functions independently and downstream of multivesicular body formation. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:44067-77 pubmed publisher..Select ESCRT mutants (vps36?, vps20?, snf7?, and bro1?) with defects in cargo packaging and intralumenal vesicle formation shared multiple ..
- Erpapazoglou Z, Dhaoui M, Pantazopoulou M, Giordano F, Mari M, Leon S, et al. A dual role for K63-linked ubiquitin chains in multivesicular body biogenesis and cargo sorting. Mol Biol Cell. 2012;23:2170-83 pubmed publisher..A failure to generate K63Ub chains in yeast leads to an MVB ultrastructure alteration. Our work thus unravels a double function of K63Ub chains in cargo sorting and MVB biogenesis. ..
- Zhao Y, Du J, Xiong B, Xu H, Jiang L. ESCRT components regulate the expression of the ER/Golgi calcium pump gene PMR1 through the Rim101/Nrg1 pathway in budding yeast. J Mol Cell Biol. 2013;5:336-44 pubmed publisher..Here we show that deletion mutation of ESCRT components Snf7, Snf8, Stp22, Vps20, Vps25, Vps28, or Vps36 activates the calcium/calcineurin signaling in yeast cells, but surprisingly leads to a nearly 50% reduction in ..
- Mageswaran S, Johnson N, Odorizzi G, Babst M. Constitutively active ESCRT-II suppresses the MVB-sorting phenotype of ESCRT-0 and ESCRT-I mutants. Mol Biol Cell. 2015;26:554-68 pubmed publisher..However, the ESCRT-III/Vps4 system alone is not sufficient for ILV formation but requires cargo sorting mediated by one of the early ESCRTs. ..
- Peters T, Miller A, Tourette C, Agren H, Hubbard A, Hughes R. Genomic Analysis of ATP Efflux in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. G3 (Bethesda). 2015;6:161-70 pubmed publisher..These results will facilitate analysis of ATP efflux mechanisms in higher eukaryotes. ..
- Kamura T, Burian D, Khalili H, Schmidt S, Sato S, Liu W, et al. Cloning and characterization of ELL-associated proteins EAP45 and EAP20. a role for yeast EAP-like proteins in regulation of gene expression by glucose. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:16528-33 pubmed..In addition, we identify the S. cerevisiae VPS36 and YJR102c genes as potential orthologs of EAP45 and EAP20 and show that they are previously uncharacterized SNF ..