Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: VPS20
Description: ESCRT-III subunit protein VPS20
Alias: CHM6, VPL10, VPT20, ESCRT-III subunit protein VPS20
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Forsberg H, Hammar M, Andreasson C, Moliner A, Ljungdahl P. Suppressors of ssy1 and ptr3 null mutations define novel amino acid sensor-independent genes in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics. 2001;158:973-88 pubmed..Several of the class II genes (DOA4, UBA1, BRO1, BUL1, RSP5, VPS20, VPS36) encode proteins implicated in controlling aspects of post-Golgi endosomal-vacuolar protein sorting...
- Eguez L, Chung Y, Kuchibhatla A, Paidhungat M, Garrett S. Yeast Mn2+ transporter, Smf1p, is regulated by ubiquitin-dependent vacuolar protein sorting. Genetics. 2004;167:107-17 pubmed..Because Smf1p is ubiquitinated in vivo, we propose that Smf1p is targeted to the vacuole for degradation by ubiquitination-dependent protein sorting. ..
- Sciskala B, Kölling R. Interaction maps of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae ESCRT-III protein Snf7. Eukaryot Cell. 2013;12:1538-46 pubmed publisher..The following observations were made. The ESCRT-III subunits Vps20 and Vps24 showed a complementary binding pattern, suggesting a model for the series of events in the ESCRT-III ..
- Zhao Y, Du J, Xiong B, Xu H, Jiang L. ESCRT components regulate the expression of the ER/Golgi calcium pump gene PMR1 through the Rim101/Nrg1 pathway in budding yeast. J Mol Cell Biol. 2013;5:336-44 pubmed publisher..Here we show that deletion mutation of ESCRT components Snf7, Snf8, Stp22, Vps20, Vps25, Vps28, or Vps36 activates the calcium/calcineurin signaling in yeast cells, but surprisingly leads to a ..
- Vajjhala P, Wong J, To H, Munn A. The beta domain is required for Vps4p oligomerization into a functionally active ATPase. FEBS J. 2006;273:2357-73 pubmed..Our studies suggest that assembly of a Vps4p oligomeric complex with full ATPase activity that interacts with Vta1p is essential for normal endosome function. ..
- Kallay L, Brett C, Tukaye D, Wemmer M, Chyou A, Odorizzi G, et al. Endosomal Na+ (K+)/H+ exchanger Nhx1/Vps44 functions independently and downstream of multivesicular body formation. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:44067-77 pubmed publisher..Select ESCRT mutants (vps36?, vps20?, snf7?, and bro1?) with defects in cargo packaging and intralumenal vesicle formation shared multiple growth ..
- Weiss P, Huppert S, Kölling R. Analysis of the dual function of the ESCRT-III protein Snf7 in endocytic trafficking and in gene expression. Biochem J. 2009;424:89-97 pubmed publisher..The interactions, as measured by co-immunoprecipitation, with the ESCRT-III subunits Vps20 and Vps24 were strongly increased by the mutations, whereas the interactions with proteins Vps4 and Bro1, acting ..
- Johnson N, West M, Odorizzi G. Regulation of yeast ESCRT-III membrane scission activity by the Doa4 ubiquitin hydrolase. Mol Biol Cell. 2017;28:661-672 pubmed publisher..We further show that deubiquitination of ILV cargoes is inhibited via Doa4 binding to Vps20, which is the subunit of ESCRT-III that initiates assembly of the complex...
- Pineda Molina E, Belrhali H, Piefer A, Akula I, Bates P, Weissenhorn W. The crystal structure of the C-terminal domain of Vps28 reveals a conserved surface required for Vps20 recruitment. Traffic. 2006;7:1007-16 pubmed..studies that Vps28-CTD employs its strictly conserved surface in the interaction with the ESCRT-III factor Vps20. Furthermore, we present evidence that Vps28-CTD is sufficient to rescue an equine infectious anaemia virus (EIAV) ..
- Bowers K, Piper S, Edeling M, Gray S, Owen D, Lehner P, et al. Degradation of endocytosed epidermal growth factor and virally ubiquitinated major histocompatibility complex class I is independent of mammalian ESCRTII. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:5094-105 pubmed..Our data suggest that mammalian ESCRTII may be redundant, cargo-specific, or not required for protein sorting at the multivesicular body. ..
- Rothfels K, Tanny J, Molnár E, Friesen H, Commisso C, Segall J. Components of the ESCRT pathway, DFG16, and YGR122w are required for Rim101 to act as a corepressor with Nrg1 at the negative regulatory element of the DIT1 gene of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:6772-88 pubmed..Interestingly, Rim101 was processed in bro1 and doa4 strains but was unable to mediate efficient repression. ..
- Adell M, Vogel G, Pakdel M, M ller M, Lindner H, Hess M, et al. Coordinated binding of Vps4 to ESCRT-III drives membrane neck constriction during MVB vesicle formation. J Cell Biol. 2014;205:33-49 pubmed publisher..ESCRT-II also initiates the assembly of a ringlike ESCRT-III filament consisting of Vps20, Snf7, Vps24, and Vps2...
- Tang S, Buchkovich N, Henne W, Banjade S, Kim Y, Emr S. ESCRT-III activation by parallel action of ESCRT-I/II and ESCRT-0/Bro1 during MVB biogenesis. elife. 2016;5: pubmed publisher..core domain and the C-terminus ?6 helix through two parallel ubiquitin-dependent pathways: the ESCRT-I-ESCRT-II-Vps20 pathway and the ESCRT-0-Bro1 pathway...
- Teo H, Perisic O, Gonzalez B, Williams R. ESCRT-II, an endosome-associated complex required for protein sorting: crystal structure and interactions with ESCRT-III and membranes. Dev Cell. 2004;7:559-69 pubmed..We show that purified ESCRT-II binds directly to the Vps20 component of ESCRT-III. Surprisingly, this binding does not require the protruding N-terminal coiled-coil of Vps22...
- Bowers K, Lottridge J, Helliwell S, Goldthwaite L, Luzio J, Stevens T. Protein-protein interactions of ESCRT complexes in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Traffic. 2004;5:194-210 pubmed..We propose the formation of a large multimeric complex on the endosome membrane consisting of ESCRTI, ESCRTII, ESCRTIII and other associated proteins. ..
- Logg K, Warringer J, Hashemi S, Käll M, Blomberg A. The sodium pump Ena1p provides mechanistic insight into the salt sensitivity of vacuolar protein sorting mutants. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2008;1783:974-84 pubmed publisher..This paper discusses potential mechanistic hypotheses, like Ena1p transporter activity or localization kinetics, or ESCRT component's influence on signaling, for linking endosomal sorting functions to cellular salt sensitivity. ..
- Germann M, Swain E, Bergman L, Nickels J. Characterizing the sphingolipid signaling pathway that remediates defects associated with loss of the yeast amphiphysin-like orthologs, Rvs161p and Rvs167p. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:4270-8 pubmed..Based on our results, we suggest that sphingolipid-dependent suppression of rvs defects may not work entirely through regulating changes in actin organization. ..
- McCourt P, Morgan J, Nickels J. Stress-induced ceramide-activated protein phosphatase can compensate for loss of amphiphysin-like activity in Saccharomyces cerevisiae and functions to reinitiate endocytosis. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:11930-41 pubmed publisher..Finally, genetic analyses reveal a synthetic lethal interaction between loss of CDC55 and gene deletions lethal with rvs161, all of which function in endocytosis. ..
- Vajjhala P, Catchpoole E, Nguyen C, Kistler C, Munn A. Vps4 regulates a subset of protein interactions at the multivesicular endosome. FEBS J. 2007;274:1894-907 pubmed..Our studies indicate that the MIT domain has a dual role in substrate binding and recruitment to endosomes and indicate that Vps4 disassembles the MVB sorting machinery by direct effects on multiple proteins. ..
- Peters T, Miller A, Tourette C, Agren H, Hubbard A, Hughes R. Genomic Analysis of ATP Efflux in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. G3 (Bethesda). 2015;6:161-70 pubmed publisher..These results will facilitate analysis of ATP efflux mechanisms in higher eukaryotes. ..