Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: VPS1
Description: dynamin-like GTPase VPS1
Alias: GRD1, LAM1, SPO15, VPL1, VPT26, dynamin-like GTPase VPS1
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Smaczynska de Rooij I, Allwood E, Mishra R, Booth W, Aghamohammadzadeh S, Goldberg M, et al. Yeast dynamin Vps1 and amphiphysin Rvs167 function together during endocytosis. Traffic. 2012;13:317-28 pubmed publisher..Previously, the dynamin-related protein Vps1 was shown to localize to endocytic sites, and yeast carrying deletions for genes encoding both the BAR domain ..
- Hayden J, Williams M, Granich A, Ahn H, Tenay B, Lukehart J, et al. Vps1 in the late endosome-to-vacuole traffic. J Biosci. 2013;38:73-83 pubmedVacuolar protein sorting 1 (Vps1), the yeast homolog to human dynamin, is a GTP hydrolyzing protein, which plays an important role in protein sorting and targeting between the Golgi and late endosomal compartments...
- Nothwehr S, Bryant N, Stevens T. The newly identified yeast GRD genes are required for retention of late-Golgi membrane proteins. Mol Cell Biol. 1996;16:2700-7 pubmed..All of the grd mutants exhibited significant mislocalization of A-ALP, as measured by determining the kinetics of A-ALP processing and by analyzing its ..
- Nannapaneni S, Wang D, Jain S, Schroeder B, Highfill C, Reustle L, et al. The yeast dynamin-like protein Vps1:vps1 mutations perturb the internalization and the motility of endocytic vesicles and endosomes via disorganization of the actin cytoskeleton. Eur J Cell Biol. 2010;89:499-508 pubmed publisher..A previous study showed that Vps1, a yeast dynamin-like protein, plays an important role in pheromone receptor internalization (Yu and Cai, 2004; J...
- Ekena K, Vater C, Raymond C, Stevens T. The VPS1 protein is a dynamin-like GTPase required for sorting proteins to the yeast vacuole. Ciba Found Symp. 1993;176:198-211; discussion 211-4 pubmedb>VPS1 encodes a 79 kDa protein required for the proper sorting of soluble vacuolar proteins in Saccharomyces cerevisiae...
- Nothwehr S, Conibear E, Stevens T. Golgi and vacuolar membrane proteins reach the vacuole in vps1 mutant yeast cells via the plasma membrane. J Cell Biol. 1995;129:35-46 pubmedThe Vps1 protein of Saccharomyces cerevisiae is an 80-kD GTPase associated with the Golgi apparatus...
- Harsay E, Schekman R. A subset of yeast vacuolar protein sorting mutants is blocked in one branch of the exocytic pathway. J Cell Biol. 2002;156:271-85 pubmed..we have found that vacuolar protein sorting mutants that block an endosome-mediated route to the vacuole, including vps1, pep12, vps4, and a temperature-sensitive clathrin mutant, missort cargo normally transported by dense exocytic ..
- Bensen E, Costaguta G, Payne G. Synthetic genetic interactions with temperature-sensitive clathrin in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Roles for synaptojanin-like Inp53p and dynamin-related Vps1p in clathrin-dependent protein sorting at the trans-Golgi network. Genetics. 2000;154:83-97 pubmed..with mutations in previously identified vacuolar protein sorting genes (VPS), including the dynamin family member VPS1. Striking genetic interactions were observed by combining temperature-sensitive alleles of CHC1 and VPS1, ..
- Ekena K, Stevens T. The Saccharomyces cerevisiae MVP1 gene interacts with VPS1 and is required for vacuolar protein sorting. Mol Cell Biol. 1995;15:1671-8 pubmedThe VPS1 gene of Saccharomyces cerevisiae encodes an 80-kDa GTPase that associates with Golgi membranes and is required for the sorting of proteins to the yeast vacuole...
- Würtz C, Schliebs W, Erdmann R, Rottensteiner H. Dynamin-like protein-dependent formation of Woronin bodies in Saccharomyces cerevisiae upon heterologous expression of a single protein. FEBS J. 2008;275:2932-41 pubmed publisher..The data indicate that Woronin bodies emerge after the formation of a HEX1 core crystal within peroxisomes followed by Vps1p- and Dnm1p-mediated fission. ..
- Mattiazzi M, Jambhekar A, Kaferle P, DeRisi J, Krizaj I, Petrovic U. Genetic interactions between a phospholipase A2 and the Rim101 pathway components in S. cerevisiae reveal a role for this pathway in response to changes in membrane composition and shape. Mol Genet Genomics. 2010;283:519-30 pubmed publisher
- Motley A, Ward G, Hettema E. Dnm1p-dependent peroxisome fission requires Caf4p, Mdv1p and Fis1p. J Cell Sci. 2008;121:1633-40 pubmed publisher..Conversely, overexpression of Dnm1p does not restore the vacuolar fusion defect of vps1 cells and Vps1p overexpression does not restore the mitochondrial fission defect of dnm1 cells...
- Li Y, Kane T, Tipper C, Spatrick P, Jenness D. Yeast mutants affecting possible quality control of plasma membrane proteins. Mol Cell Biol. 1999;19:3588-99 pubmed..and the STP26 mutation also caused missorting of carboxypeptidase Y, and ste2-3 was suppressed by mutations vps1, vps8, vps10, and vps28 but not by mutation vps3...
- Xu H, Wickner W. Bem1p is a positive regulator of the homotypic fusion of yeast vacuoles. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:27158-66 pubmed..2005) Genes Dev. 19, 2606-2618), we did not find phosphorylation of Bem1p at Ser-72 to be required for Bem1p-stimulated fusion. Taken together, Bem1p is a positive regulator of lipid mixing during vacuole hemifusion and fusion. ..
- Hofmann L, Saunier R, Cossard R, Esposito M, Rinaldi T, Delahodde A. A nonproteolytic proteasome activity controls organelle fission in yeast. J Cell Sci. 2009;122:3673-83 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate a unique role of the Rpn11 protein in mitochondrial fission and peroxisomal proliferation that is independent of its role in proteasome-associated deubiquitylation. ..
- Zhang L, Nebane N, Wennerberg K, Li Y, Neubauer V, Hobrath J, et al. A high-throughput screen for chemical inhibitors of exocytic transport in yeast. Chembiochem. 2010;11:1291-301 pubmed publisher..In this and similar chemical-genetic yeast screens, using just a single pump mutation might be sufficient for increasing hit diversity while minimizing the physiological effects of transporter mutations. ..
- Rucktäschel R, Halbach A, Girzalsky W, Rottensteiner H, Erdmann R. De novo synthesis of peroxisomes upon mitochondrial targeting of Pex3p. Eur J Cell Biol. 2010;89:947-54 pubmed publisher..We conclude that natural or artificial targeting of Pex3p to any endomembrane may initiate peroxisome formation and that also Pex3p-containing mitochondria can serve as source for the de novo synthesis of peroxisomes. ..
- Chi R, Liu J, West M, Wang J, Odorizzi G, Burd C. Fission of SNX-BAR-coated endosomal retrograde transport carriers is promoted by the dynamin-related protein Vps1. J Cell Biol. 2014;204:793-806 pubmed publisher..We report that fission of retromer SNX-BAR-coated tubules from yeast endosomes is promoted by Vps1, a dynamin-related protein that localizes to endosomes decorated by retromer SNX-BARs and Mvp1, a SNX-BAR that is ..
- Li D, Zhao Z, Huang Y, Lu Z, Yao M, Hao Y, et al. PsVPS1, a dynamin-related protein, is involved in cyst germination and soybean infection of Phytophthora sojae. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e58623 pubmed publisher..In this report, we characterized a Phytophthora sojae vps1 gene...
- Banh B, McDERMOTT H, Woodman S, Gadila S, Saimani U, Short J, et al. Yeast dynamin interaction with ESCRT proteins at the endosome. Cell Biol Int. 2017;41:484-494 pubmed publisherThe dynamin-like protein, Vps1, is a GTPase involved in cargo sorting and membrane remodeling in multiple cellular trafficking pathways. Recently, Vps1 has been shown to genetically interact with ESCRT subunits...
- Palmer S, Smaczynska de Rooij I, Marklew C, Allwood E, Mishra R, Johnson S, et al. A dynamin-actin interaction is required for vesicle scission during endocytosis in yeast. Curr Biol. 2015;25:868-78 pubmed publisher..Here, we reveal that the yeast dynamin Vps1 binds and bundles filamentous actin...
- Luo W, Chang A. Novel genes involved in endosomal traffic in yeast revealed by suppression of a targeting-defective plasma membrane ATPase mutant. J Cell Biol. 1997;138:731-46 pubmed..Thus, cell surface delivery of mutant Pma1 can occur as a consequence of disturbances at several different sites in the endosomal system. ..
- Toume M, Tani M. Yeast lacking the amphiphysin family protein Rvs167 is sensitive to disruptions in sphingolipid levels. FEBS J. 2016;283:2911-28 pubmed publisher..of SPT activity suppressed the temperature supersensitivity and abnormal vacuolar morphology caused by deletion of VPS1 encoding a dynamin-like GTPase, which is required for vesicle scission and is functionally closely related to ..
- Conibear E, Stevens T. Vps52p, Vps53p, and Vps54p form a novel multisubunit complex required for protein sorting at the yeast late Golgi. Mol Biol Cell. 2000;11:305-23 pubmed..The Vps52/53/54 complex joins a growing list of distinct multisubunit complexes that regulate membrane-trafficking events. ..
- Tahirovic S, Schorr M, Mayinger P. Regulation of intracellular phosphatidylinositol-4-phosphate by the Sac1 lipid phosphatase. Traffic. 2005;6:116-30 pubmed..We conclude that Sac1p functions in confining PtdIns(4)P-dependent processes to specific intracellular membranes. ..
- Lukehart J, Highfill C, Kim K. Vps1, a recycling factor for the traffic from early endosome to the late Golgi. Biochem Cell Biol. 2013;91:455-65 pubmed publisher..Here, we examined a possible role for Vps1, a large GTPase, in the recycling traffic of GFP-Snc1 from early endosomes to the late Golgi...
- Demmel L, Beck M, Klose C, Schlaitz A, Gloor Y, Hsu P, et al. Nucleocytoplasmic shuttling of the Golgi phosphatidylinositol 4-kinase Pik1 is regulated by 14-3-3 proteins and coordinates Golgi function with cell growth. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:1046-61 pubmed publisher..These data suggest a role of Pik1p nucleocytoplasmic shuttling in coordination of biosynthetic transport from the Golgi with nutrient signaling. ..
- Kulkarni A, Alpadi K, Sirupangi T, Peters C. A dynamin homolog promotes the transition from hemifusion to content mixing in intracellular membrane fusion. Traffic. 2014;15:558-71 pubmed publisher..Here we demonstrate the influence of the dynamin homolog Vps1 (Vacuolar protein sorting 1) on lipid mixing and content mixing properties of yeast vacuoles, and on the ..
- Fagarasanu M, Fagarasanu A, Tam Y, Aitchison J, Rachubinski R. Inp1p is a peroxisomal membrane protein required for peroxisome inheritance in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Cell Biol. 2005;169:765-75 pubmed..Our findings are consistent with Inp1p acting as a factor that retains peroxisomes in cells and controls peroxisome division. Inp1p is the first peroxisomal protein directly implicated in peroxisome inheritance. ..
- Mao K, Liu X, Feng Y, Klionsky D. The progression of peroxisomal degradation through autophagy requires peroxisomal division. Autophagy. 2014;10:652-61 pubmed publisher..The segregation of peroxisomes is mediated by 2 dynamin-related GTPases, Dnm1 and Vps1, whereas, the degradation of peroxisomes is accomplished through pexophagy, a selective type of autophagy...
- Harsay E, Schekman R. Avl9p, a member of a novel protein superfamily, functions in the late secretory pathway. Mol Biol Cell. 2007;18:1203-19 pubmed..Phylogenetic analysis indicated evolutionary relationships between Avl9p and regulators of membrane traffic and actin function. ..
- Vizeacoumar F, Vreden W, Fagarasanu M, Eitzen G, Aitchison J, Rachubinski R. The dynamin-like protein Vps1p of the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae associates with peroxisomes in a Pex19p-dependent manner. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:12817-23 pubmed..protein Vps1p (vacuolar protein sorting protein 1) is involved in peroxisome fission, as cells deleted for the VPS1 gene contain reduced numbers of enlarged peroxisomes. What relationship Vps1p has with peroxisomes remains unclear...
- Yu X, Cai M. The yeast dynamin-related GTPase Vps1p functions in the organization of the actin cytoskeleton via interaction with Sla1p. J Cell Sci. 2004;117:3839-53 pubmed..At both permissive and non-permissive temperatures, the vps1 mutants exhibited various degrees of phenotypes commonly associated with actin cytoskeleton defects: depolarized ..
- Kishimoto T, Yamamoto T, Tanaka K. Defects in structural integrity of ergosterol and the Cdc50p-Drs2p putative phospholipid translocase cause accumulation of endocytic membranes, onto which actin patches are assembled in yeast. Mol Biol Cell. 2005;16:5592-609 pubmed..Simultaneous loss of both phospholipid asymmetry and sterol structural integrity could lead to accumulation of endocytic intermediates capable of initiating assembly of actin patches in the cytoplasm. ..
- Lauwers E, Jacob C, Andre B. K63-linked ubiquitin chains as a specific signal for protein sorting into the multivesicular body pathway. J Cell Biol. 2009;185:493-502 pubmed publisher..Our data reveal that K63-linked Ub chains act as a specific signal for MVB sorting, providing further insight into the Ub code of membrane protein trafficking. ..
- Smaczynska de Rooij I, Marklew C, Allwood E, Palmer S, Booth W, Mishra R, et al. Phosphorylation Regulates the Endocytic Function of the Yeast Dynamin-Related Protein Vps1. Mol Cell Biol. 2015;36:742-55 pubmed publisher..The yeast dynamin-related protein Vps1 functions at several stages of membrane trafficking, including Golgi apparatus to endosome and vacuole, peroxisomal ..
- Morimoto Y, Tani M. Synthesis of mannosylinositol phosphorylceramides is involved in maintenance of cell integrity of yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Microbiol. 2015;95:706-22 pubmed publisher..These results indicated that loss of MIPC synthesis causes impairment of cell integrity, and this effect is enhanced by impaired synthesis of mannan-type N-glycans. ..