Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: VMA1
Description: H(+)-transporting V1 sector ATPase subunit A
Alias: CLS8, TFP1, H(+)-transporting V1 sector ATPase subunit A
Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288c
- Ediger B, Melman S, Pappas D, Finch M, Applen J, Parra K. The tether connecting cytosolic (N terminus) and membrane (C terminus) domains of yeast V-ATPase subunit a (Vph1) is required for assembly of V0 subunit d. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:19522-32 pubmed publisher..Thus, no major structural change was generated at the N and C termini of subunit a. We concluded that early steps of V(0) assembly and trafficking were likely impaired by shorter tethers and rescued by VMA6. ..
- Makrantoni V, Dennison P, Stark M, Coote P. A novel role for the yeast protein kinase Dbf2p in vacuolar H+-ATPase function and sorbic acid stress tolerance. Microbiology. 2007;153:4016-26 pubmed..Loss of V-ATPase activity due to bafilomycin treatment or deletion of either VMA1 or VMA2 resulted in sorbic acid hypersensitivity and impaired vacuolar acidification, phenotypes also observed in ..
- Supekova L, Supek F, Nelson N. The Saccharomyces cerevisiae VMA10 is an intron-containing gene encoding a novel 13-kDa subunit of vacuolar H(+)-ATPase. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:13726-32 pubmed..A cold inactivation experiment demonstrated that M16 is a subunit of the membrane sector of V-ATPase. M16 exhibits a significant sequence homology with subunit b of F-ATPase membrane sector. ..
- Su Y, Blake Palmer K, Sorrell S, Javid B, Bowers K, Zhou A, et al. Human H+ATPase a4 subunit mutations causing renal tubular acidosis reveal a role for interaction with phosphofructokinase-1. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2008;295:F950-8 pubmed publisher..Thus in the context of dRTA, stability and function of the metabolon composed of H+ATPase and glycolytic components can be compromised by either loss of required PFK-1 binding (G820R) or loss of pump protein (R807Q). ..
- Tomashek J, Sonnenburg J, Artimovich J, Klionsky D. Resolution of subunit interactions and cytoplasmic subcomplexes of the yeast vacuolar proton-translocating ATPase. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:10397-404 pubmed..All larger complexes are lost in the Deltavma1, Deltavma2, and Deltavma8 strains. We designate the large complex seen in wild-type cells containing at least subunits Vma1p, Vma2p, Vma4p, Vma7p, and Vma8p as the definitive V1 complex. ..
- Phan V, Ding V, Li F, Chalkley R, Burlingame A, McCormick F. The RasGAP proteins Ira2 and neurofibromin are negatively regulated by Gpb1 in yeast and ETEA in humans. Mol Cell Biol. 2010;30:2264-79 pubmed publisher..These findings provide evidence for conserved ubiquitination pathways regulating the RasGAP proteins Ira2 (in yeast) and neurofibromin (in humans). ..
- Inoue S, Qadota H, Arisawa M, Watanabe T, Ohya Y. Prenylation of Rho1p is required for activation of yeast 1, 3-beta-glucan synthase. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:38119-24 pubmed
- Rainey M, Korostyshevsky D, Lee S, Perlstein E. The antidepressant sertraline targets intracellular vesiculogenic membranes in yeast. Genetics. 2010;185:1221-33 pubmed publisher..Overall, our study identifies two evolutionarily conserved membrane--active processes-vacuolar acidification and clathrin-coat formation--as modulators of sertraline's action at membranes...
- Zhong X, Malhotra R, Guidotti G. Regulation of yeast ectoapyrase ynd1p activity by activator subunit Vma13p of vacuolar H+-ATPase. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:35592-9 pubmed..However, the E286Q mutant of VMA1, which assembles inactive V-ATPase complex including Vma13p in the membrane, retained wild type levels of Ynd1p ..
- Williams D, Novick P. Analysis of SEC9 suppression reveals a relationship of SNARE function to cell physiology. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e5449 pubmed publisher..Second, Sro7p acts to promote SNARE complex formation. Finally, Sec9p function and SNARE complex formation are tightly coupled to the physiological state of the cell. ..
- Bueler S, Rubinstein J. Vma9p need not be associated with the yeast V-ATPase for fully-coupled proton pumping activity in vitro. Biochemistry. 2015;54:853-8 pubmed publisher..This observation shows that Vma9p is not necessary in vitro for this principal activity of the V-ATPase. ..
- Gimble F, Thorner J. Homing of a DNA endonuclease gene by meiotic gene conversion in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Nature. 1992;357:301-6 pubmed..N-terminal segment (A) and the C-terminal segment (C) of the 119K primary translation product (ABC) of the yeast VMA1 gene to yield a 69K vacuolar H(+)-ATPase subunit (AC) and an internal 50K polypeptide (B)...
- Kane P, Kuehn M, Howald Stevenson I, Stevens T. Assembly and targeting of peripheral and integral membrane subunits of the yeast vacuolar H(+)-ATPase. J Biol Chem. 1992;267:447-54 pubmed..subunits (the 100- and 17-kDa subunits) were examined in mutant yeast cells containing chromosomal deletions in the TFP1, VAT2, or VMA3 genes, which encode the 69-, 60-, and 17-kDa subunits, respectively...
- Shao E, Forgac M. Involvement of the nonhomologous region of subunit A of the yeast V-ATPase in coupling and in vivo dissociation. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:48663-70 pubmed..The results suggest that the dependence of in vivo dissociation of the V-ATPase on catalytic activity may be due to neutralization of the yeast vacuole, which in turn blocks glucose-dependent dissociation. ..
- Kane P, Yamashiro C, Stevens T. Biochemical characterization of the yeast vacuolar H(+)-ATPase. J Biol Chem. 1989;264:19236-44 pubmed..Its structure and subunit composition are very similar to other vacuolar ATPase, and it shares some characteristics with the F1F0-ATPases. ..
- Jones R, Durose L, Findlay J, Harrison M. Defined sites of interaction between subunits E (Vma4p), C (Vma5p), and G (Vma10p) within the stator structure of the vacuolar H+-ATPase. Biochemistry. 2005;44:3933-41 pubmed..These protein interaction studies show that the N-terminal region of Vma4p is a key factor not only in the stator structure of the V-ATPase rotary molecular motor, but also in mediating interactions with putative regulatory subunits. ..
- Parsons L, Wilkens S. Probing subunit-subunit interactions in the yeast vacuolar ATPase by peptide arrays. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e46960 pubmed publisher..The subunit-subunit interaction data are discussed in context of our current model of reversible enzyme dissociation. ..
- Cooper A, Chen Y, Lindorfer M, Stevens T. Protein splicing of the yeast TFP1 intervening protein sequence: a model for self-excision. EMBO J. 1993;12:2575-83 pubmed..The yeast Tfp1 protein undergoes a rapid protein splicing reaction to yield a spliced 69 kDa polypeptide and an excised 50 kDa ..
- Guo J, Polymenis M. Dcr2 targets Ire1 and downregulates the unfolded protein response in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. EMBO Rep. 2006;7:1124-7 pubmed..Our results are consistent with de-phosphorylation of Ire1 being a mechanism for antagonizing UPR signalling. ..
- Rizzo J, Tarsio M, Martínez Muñoz G, Kane P. Diploids heterozygous for a vma13Delta mutation in Saccharomyces cerevisiae highlight the importance of V-ATPase subunit balance in supporting vacuolar acidification and silencing cytosolic V1-ATPase activity. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:8521-32 pubmed..The results suggest that balancing levels of subunit H with those of other V-ATPase subunits is critical, both for allowing organelle acidification and for preventing unproductive hydrolysis of cytosolic ATP. ..
- Gruber G, Godovac Zimmermann J, Link T, Coskun U, Rizzo V, Betz C, et al. Expression, purification, and characterization of subunit E, an essential subunit of the vacuolar ATPase. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2002;298:383-91 pubmed
- Benlekbir S, Bueler S, Rubinstein J. Structure of the vacuolar-type ATPase from Saccharomyces cerevisiae at 11-Å resolution. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2012;19:1356-62 pubmed publisher..We provide support for this model by demonstrating that mutation of subunit H to increase the rigidity of the linker between its two domains decreases its ability to inhibit ATPase activity. ..
- Numrich J, PÃ©li Gulli M, Arlt H, Sardu A, Griffith J, Levine T, et al. The I-BAR protein Ivy1 is an effector of the Rab7 GTPase Ypt7 involved in vacuole membrane homeostasis. J Cell Sci. 2015;128:2278-92 pubmed publisher..Our data, thus, reveal that Ivy1 is a novel regulator of vacuole membrane homeostasis with connections to TORC1 signaling. ..
- Keenan Curtis K, Kane P. Novel vacuolar H+-ATPase complexes resulting from overproduction of Vma5p and Vma13p. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:2716-24 pubmed..Overproduced Vma5p associated with cytosolic V(1) complexes; this association may cause the lethality. ..
- Fukuda T, Ohya Y. Recruitment of RecA homologs Dmc1p and Rad51p to the double-strand break repair site initiated by meiosis-specific endonuclease VDE (PI-SceI). Mol Genet Genomics. 2006;275:204-14 pubmed
- Tomashek J, Graham L, Hutchins M, Stevens T, Klionsky D. V1-situated stalk subunits of the yeast vacuolar proton-translocating ATPase. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:26787-93 pubmed..This may be important in the regulation of assembly, since these two subunits add to the V1 during later stages of V1 assembly. This is the first demonstration of interdependence between ATPase subunits for structural stability. ..
- Vanacloig Pedros E, Bets Plasencia C, Pascual Ahuir A, Proft M. Coordinated gene regulation in the initial phase of salt stress adaptation. J Biol Chem. 2015;290:10163-75 pubmed publisher..Loss of function of the vacuolar H(+)-ATPase (vma1) or a defect in the biosynthesis of the osmolyte glycerol (gpd1) caused a prolonged repression of housekeeping ..
- Thaker Y, Hunke C, Yau Y, Shochat S, Li Y, Gruber G. Association of the eukaryotic V1VO ATPase subunits a with d and d with A. FEBS Lett. 2009;583:1090-5 pubmed publisher..The data are discussed in light of subunit a and d forming a peripheral stalk, connecting the catalytic A(3)B(3) hexamer with V(O). ..
- Davis Kaplan S, Compton M, Flannery A, Ward D, Kaplan J, Stevens T, et al. PKR1 encodes an assembly factor for the yeast V-type ATPase. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:32025-35 pubmed..Our data indicate that Pkr1p functions together with the other V-ATPase assembly factors in the ER to efficiently assemble the V-ATPase membrane sector. ..
- Zuo J, Vergara S, Kohno S, Holliday L. Biochemical and functional characterization of the actin-binding activity of the B subunit of yeast vacuolar H+-ATPase. J Exp Biol. 2008;211:1102-8 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that actin-binding activity confers on the B subunit of yeast a function that is distinct from its role in the enzymatic activity of the proton pump. ..
- Oluwatosin Y, Kane P. Mutations in the yeast KEX2 gene cause a Vma(-)-like phenotype: a possible role for the Kex2 endoprotease in vacuolar acidification. Mol Cell Biol. 1998;18:1534-43 pubmed..This is the first time a mutation of this type has been identified. ..